Page 47 of 49 FirstFirst ... 2237383940414243444546474849 LastLast
Results 1,381 to 1,410 of 1464
  1. - Top - End - #1381
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    Deadly's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    The Wasteland
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Waiting For Rain IC: Spring Slowly Comes

    Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    The rest of her walk to the university was completely quiet; it was her choice what she did when she got there.
    Ashley's suggestion sounded as good as any other, for a start.

    She didn't fancy being recognized from last night, however. The wolves might still be around, or the groundskeeper, or maybe some of the people who had been around to see Jon's spectacular unveiling. Dealing with that again wouldn't help her. To get that out of the way she found a bathroom, made sure no one was around, then looked herself in the mirror to make sure she looked different enough from yesterday to pass without notice.

    [Not sure if I need a roll here and now. Not trying to look like anyone specific, just different from before]

    Once satisfied, she went to look for a lecture to sit in on, preferably one that actually touched on subjects she had studied before, but given the impromptu nature of her visit any lecture would have to do. She wasn't actually here for lectures anyway.

    deviantArt | FiMFiction | Twitter | Skype : athecoon
    Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Fedora View Post
    Deadly, a delightfully daring drawer and drafter of dissertations. Defying the dictations of our disparate denizens, Deadly decides his direction with a dirth of dependence on the decisions of despotic desperados. Deadly detests dismissive derision, and will debate any dude or dame that dares to detest discussion.

  2. - Top - End - #1382
    Troll in the Playground
     
    the_druid_droid's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    In a cornfield
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Waiting For Rain IC: Spring Slowly Comes

    Quote Originally Posted by BlasTech View Post
    Isabelle, meanwhile, suited up quickly and picked herself the sturdiest helmet she could find.

    "So, while we're on the subject of chivalry, I don't suppose I can count on you to be my nice human shield?" She asked Jon.
    That got Jon to look up from Pope's mysterious divination. "Sure, if you can keep up."

    He cracked a little smile, before putting on his own helmet.
    This Machine Surrounds Hate And Forces It To Surrender

    Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    DD, your unicorn is stronger, prettier, and higher-ranking than mine, and her secret lab has a better name than mine. THERE SHALL BE NO QUARTER.
    Ponythread Learns to Draw!

    Avatar by Aruius

    Spoiler
    Show
    Bleeeeh! Alfalfa Monster!

  3. - Top - End - #1383
    Troll in the Playground
     
    BlasTech's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Waiting For Rain IC: Spring Slowly Comes

    "When danger reared its ugly head, he bravely turned his tail and fled. Brave Sir Robin." hummed Isabelle, as she finished kitting up.

    She looked over the paintball guns; propelled by compressed air and, according to Caine at least, inaccurate as all heck.

    "I am going to be so useless." she observed, once she was done.

  4. - Top - End - #1384
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Thanqol's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Canberra, Australia

    Default Re: Waiting For Rain IC: Spring Slowly Comes

    Quote Originally Posted by Deadly View Post
    [Not sure if I need a roll here and now. Not trying to look like anyone specific, just different from before]

    Once satisfied, she went to look for a lecture to sit in on, preferably one that actually touched on subjects she had studied before, but given the impromptu nature of her visit any lecture would have to do. She wasn't actually here for lectures anyway.
    [No roll necessary]

    "... them a story. 'We brainstormed some ideas in the break room' is a boring story, nobody will give you ten million dollars for that. You need to tell them how you had this problem for months, searched around the entire marketplace for anyone who could possibly help you, wrote letters to the government to try to get it fixed and eventually decided that the only way it was going to happen was if you did it. Tell them the story about how you sought expert advice in the industry and did an elaborate study of what it'd take to exploit. Tell them how you built up this prototype in your garage, working from nothing. Tell them how you just need them now as the final step on an extended project. That's how you get people to give you ten million dollars. That's how you get people to trust you with that kind of money."

    The lecture hall she'd walked into seemed to be some kind of business class, teaching how to pitch to investors and be confident in your ideas. It was compelling - evidently the teacher took his own advice and was a commanding public speaker.

    Quote Originally Posted by the_druid_droid View Post
    That got Jon to look up from Pope's mysterious divination. "Sure, if you can keep up."

    He cracked a little smile, before putting on his own helmet.
    Quote Originally Posted by BlasTech View Post
    "When danger reared its ugly head, he bravely turned his tail and fled. Brave Sir Robin." hummed Isabelle, as she finished kitting up.

    She looked over the paintball guns; propelled by compressed air and, according to Caine at least, inaccurate as all heck.

    "I am going to be so useless." she observed, once she was done.
    By this point, Amy Acre had vanished into the woods. Pope shuffled his deck and drew seven cards, dropping them down.

    +Advance+

    The thought appeared in their heads. It wasn't mind control, but it was a strong enough prompt to send them moving before they even thought about it, as if the thought was their own idea. The Summer Court started to walk, spread out in a long line.

    +Cover+

    Even knowing what to expect, their bodies still reacted a split second before their brains did and everyone took up positions in cover - behind fences, tree-stumps and in ditches. An appropriate metaphor for what Pope's control was like flinching when something flew at your eyes - if you resolved yourself and stared right at it as it came you'd be able to resist the motion, though you'd still probably blink.

    +Advance+

    This time the message came only to Jon - and he knew the point he was supposed to advance to, an old rusted oil barrel. The orders became more individual as Pope sent them forwards in sequence, one ahead to cover the progress of the others. It felt strangely effective, like being part of a professional military, knowing that there was someone covering every angle you weren't directly looking at.

    If you were imagining that Gabriel Pope was playing a real time strategy game with human beings as the pieces then you'd be one hundred percent correct. And, as a GSL Code-S Champion, he was extremely good at using people as pieces.
    "Army of robots is such a loaded term.
    I prefer society of robots!"

  5. - Top - End - #1385
    Troll in the Playground
     
    the_druid_droid's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    In a cornfield
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Waiting For Rain IC: Spring Slowly Comes

    Jon was just about to respond to Isabelle when Pope's first set of instructions came. The feeling was odd, but the sense that he could resist if he absolutely had to was at least somewhat comforting. Raising his gun, he began to advance in time with the others, slightly distracted by wondering if all the Court leaders could manage mental projection, or if it was just Pope's specialty.

    When the order came to move up, he did so quickly, trying to keep his head down and listen for anything out of the ordinary. He probably wouldn't have much chance to react when Amy struck, but he did at least hope he wouldn't be the first to go down...

    [Random mechanical question: would Jon's Danger Sense merit be of any help in all this? Might be nice to take it for a spin before something with pointier teeth is stalking him >.> ]
    This Machine Surrounds Hate And Forces It To Surrender

    Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    DD, your unicorn is stronger, prettier, and higher-ranking than mine, and her secret lab has a better name than mine. THERE SHALL BE NO QUARTER.
    Ponythread Learns to Draw!

    Avatar by Aruius

    Spoiler
    Show
    Bleeeeh! Alfalfa Monster!

  6. - Top - End - #1386
    Troll in the Playground
     
    BlasTech's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Waiting For Rain IC: Spring Slowly Comes

    Isabelle advanced with the rest of the Summer courtiers into cover. She had to grit her teeth at the sensation of Pope's orders; the way they just invaded her head like that, barking commands ... she felt like a puppet on a string getting jerked this way and that.

    Fine. She could play by the rules. If only because she didn't want to let down Vorel and Jon.

    Advancing when told to, and trying to flow with the commands, she followed the rest of the court into the woods.

  7. - Top - End - #1387
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    Deadly's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    The Wasteland
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Waiting For Rain IC: Spring Slowly Comes

    Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    [No roll necessary]

    "... them a story. 'We brainstormed some ideas in the break room' is a boring story, nobody will give you ten million dollars for that. You need to tell them how you had this problem for months, searched around the entire marketplace for anyone who could possibly help you, wrote letters to the government to try to get it fixed and eventually decided that the only way it was going to happen was if you did it. Tell them the story about how you sought expert advice in the industry and did an elaborate study of what it'd take to exploit. Tell them how you built up this prototype in your garage, working from nothing. Tell them how you just need them now as the final step on an extended project. That's how you get people to give you ten million dollars. That's how you get people to trust you with that kind of money."

    The lecture hall she'd walked into seemed to be some kind of business class, teaching how to pitch to investors and be confident in your ideas. It was compelling - evidently the teacher took his own advice and was a commanding public speaker.
    Charlene took a seat and glanced around at the other students present in the lecture hall. So far it all seemed perfectly normal, but judging by Ashley's tone it probably wouldn't take much effort to see what she had been speaking of. Something was crazy about this place, and sitting in on a lecture was supposed to make her understand. For now, all she could do was observe.

    deviantArt | FiMFiction | Twitter | Skype : athecoon
    Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Fedora View Post
    Deadly, a delightfully daring drawer and drafter of dissertations. Defying the dictations of our disparate denizens, Deadly decides his direction with a dirth of dependence on the decisions of despotic desperados. Deadly detests dismissive derision, and will debate any dude or dame that dares to detest discussion.

  8. - Top - End - #1388
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Thanqol's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Canberra, Australia

    Default Re: Waiting For Rain IC: Spring Slowly Comes

    Quote Originally Posted by the_druid_droid View Post
    Jon was just about to respond to Isabelle when Pope's first set of instructions came. The feeling was odd, but the sense that he could resist if he absolutely had to was at least somewhat comforting. Raising his gun, he began to advance in time with the others, slightly distracted by wondering if all the Court leaders could manage mental projection, or if it was just Pope's specialty.

    When the order came to move up, he did so quickly, trying to keep his head down and listen for anything out of the ordinary. He probably wouldn't have much chance to react when Amy struck, but he did at least hope he wouldn't be the first to go down...

    [Random mechanical question: would Jon's Danger Sense merit be of any help in all this? Might be nice to take it for a spin before something with pointier teeth is stalking him >.> ]
    Quote Originally Posted by BlasTech View Post
    Isabelle advanced with the rest of the Summer courtiers into cover. She had to grit her teeth at the sensation of Pope's orders; the way they just invaded her head like that, barking commands ... she felt like a puppet on a string getting jerked this way and that.

    Fine. She could play by the rules. If only because she didn't want to let down Vorel and Jon.

    Advancing when told to, and trying to flow with the commands, she followed the rest of the court into the woods.
    [Yeah sure, I'll give you some extra warning before doing stuff]

    Umberto hustled forwards, as part of an advance, and was hit squarely in the forehead from nowhere, hamstringing him and knocking him across onto his back.

    +Suppressive fire+

    Jon had noticed the angle of the attack, but Isabelle hadn't - but Pope's direction made it clear where he wanted them to shoot at.

    +Fan out and enter the forest+ came the instruction, as Umberto scampered back towards the farmhouse, trying to rub paint off his visor. +Move quickly and cut off flanking paths. Hold fire.+

    Quote Originally Posted by Deadly View Post
    Charlene took a seat and glanced around at the other students present in the lecture hall. So far it all seemed perfectly normal, but judging by Ashley's tone it probably wouldn't take much effort to see what she had been speaking of. Something was crazy about this place, and sitting in on a lecture was supposed to make her understand. For now, all she could do was observe.
    Just observing seemed to turn up nothing, until her eyes strayed to a girl who'd fallen asleep on her textbook. Even though her eyes were shut, her hand was moving on her notepad and... drawing a picture? Moving around to get a better angle revealed a surprisingly detailed illustration for a sleeping person of some kind of chalice.
    Last edited by Thanqol; 2012-11-21 at 08:37 AM.
    "Army of robots is such a loaded term.
    I prefer society of robots!"

  9. - Top - End - #1389
    Troll in the Playground
     
    the_druid_droid's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    In a cornfield
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Waiting For Rain IC: Spring Slowly Comes

    Jon fired off a few shots, and began to move forward with the others. The voice in his head was still weird, but he was enjoying the game - he'd played on and off with some of the guys back at college and the memories this game brought back were from happier days.
    This Machine Surrounds Hate And Forces It To Surrender

    Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    DD, your unicorn is stronger, prettier, and higher-ranking than mine, and her secret lab has a better name than mine. THERE SHALL BE NO QUARTER.
    Ponythread Learns to Draw!

    Avatar by Aruius

    Spoiler
    Show
    Bleeeeh! Alfalfa Monster!

  10. - Top - End - #1390
    Troll in the Playground
     
    BlasTech's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Waiting For Rain IC: Spring Slowly Comes

    Isabelle sprayed an ineffective spread of paintballs towards the patch of greenery that Pope had pointed her towards. If nothing else, it gave her a bit of a feel as to how accurate her new firearm really was.

    Oh come on, this thing can't even hit the broadside of a barn. I probably couldn't hit Amy if she had her back to me, was tied up and unconscious!

    Taking her finger off the trigger, she scampered towards the zone where Pope had directed her, fully expecting to get a face full of paint every time she put one foot in front of the other.

  11. - Top - End - #1391
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    Deadly's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    The Wasteland
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Waiting For Rain IC: Spring Slowly Comes

    Charlene quietly searched for something to write on and with, in order to make a sketch of the drawing and some notes about where the girl was sitting. Meanwhile she continued to try to listen and occasionally glance around for other sleepers. Should be a few, if her own experiences were anything to go by, but they probably weren't all sleep-drawers.

    deviantArt | FiMFiction | Twitter | Skype : athecoon
    Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Fedora View Post
    Deadly, a delightfully daring drawer and drafter of dissertations. Defying the dictations of our disparate denizens, Deadly decides his direction with a dirth of dependence on the decisions of despotic desperados. Deadly detests dismissive derision, and will debate any dude or dame that dares to detest discussion.

  12. - Top - End - #1392
    Troll in the Playground
     
    the_druid_droid's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    In a cornfield
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Waiting For Rain IC: Spring Slowly Comes

    On the tail of his previous thoughts, Jon started to wonder if he might be able to find some new friends here. He was already playing paintball with them, after all.

    Until the mess at school, Jon's plan had always been to get home as quicky as he could and put all the strange and horrible memories behind him. Obviously, he didn't want to just leave Isabelle and Charlene out in the cold, but now that life was looking more complicated, maybe he could work out some middle ground between falling in at home and being miserable.

    He fired off a few more rounds and wondered if he would be able to do something like this with the other Spring Court members.
    This Machine Surrounds Hate And Forces It To Surrender

    Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    DD, your unicorn is stronger, prettier, and higher-ranking than mine, and her secret lab has a better name than mine. THERE SHALL BE NO QUARTER.
    Ponythread Learns to Draw!

    Avatar by Aruius

    Spoiler
    Show
    Bleeeeh! Alfalfa Monster!

  13. - Top - End - #1393
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Thanqol's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Canberra, Australia

    Default Re: Waiting For Rain IC: Spring Slowly Comes

    Quote Originally Posted by BlasTech View Post
    Isabelle sprayed an ineffective spread of paintballs towards the patch of greenery that Pope had pointed her towards. If nothing else, it gave her a bit of a feel as to how accurate her new firearm really was.

    Oh come on, this thing can't even hit the broadside of a barn. I probably couldn't hit Amy if she had her back to me, was tied up and unconscious!

    Taking her finger off the trigger, she scampered towards the zone where Pope had directed her, fully expecting to get a face full of paint every time she put one foot in front of the other.
    Quote Originally Posted by the_druid_droid View Post
    On the tail of his previous thoughts, Jon started to wonder if he might be able to find some new friends here. He was already playing paintball with them, after all.

    Until the mess at school, Jon's plan had always been to get home as quicky as he could and put all the strange and horrible memories behind him. Obviously, he didn't want to just leave Isabelle and Charlene out in the cold, but now that life was looking more complicated, maybe he could work out some middle ground between falling in at home and being miserable.

    He fired off a few more rounds and wondered if he would be able to do something like this with the other Spring Court members.
    Jon started to get the incredible sense that they were walking into a trap as Pope urged them to advance. He had so much experience with the hunt he could tell that they were not the predators here - they were the prey. And Pope was having them surround a stationary target, and the predator never stood still unless it was planning something -

    +Isabelle, Jax, Ashley - advance into the clearing. Flush her out,+ came Pope's instruction. And then, to Isabelle alone +When the other two are hit, do your best to determine from which direction.+

    Quote Originally Posted by Deadly View Post
    Charlene quietly searched for something to write on and with, in order to make a sketch of the drawing and some notes about where the girl was sitting. Meanwhile she continued to try to listen and occasionally glance around for other sleepers. Should be a few, if her own experiences were anything to go by, but they probably weren't all sleep-drawers.
    No one else was sleepdrawing. The girl was sitting in the third row to the far left, seemingly for the sole reason that it put her in proximity to a powerpoint for her laptop.

    The chalice in the sketch was impressive, archaic, silver and studded with rubies. It was empty of liquid and perfectly polished. She watched as the unconscious hands switched between colours of pencils and gently smudged the outline where necessary - complex artistic tricks, even as the artist was drooling slightly. The girl was kind of frumpy; frizzy brown hair, nothing special.
    "Army of robots is such a loaded term.
    I prefer society of robots!"

  14. - Top - End - #1394
    Troll in the Playground
     
    BlasTech's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Waiting For Rain IC: Spring Slowly Comes

    "Woo hoo. Operation Sacrificial Lamb is a go." Isabelle muttered to herself, as the three of them began walking into the clearing ... the nice, devoid of all cover clearing.

    She had pretty much expected to be used as cannon fodder, it wasn't like she was a fighter or anything. Devoid of any information on how Amy Acre hunted, she didn't even know whether any of her skills could be employed to effective use.

    Nope, she was pretty much paintball target C here. So she walked forwards, hoping to at least see which direction the shots came from when the three of them were taken out.

    [I wonder if any of Isabelle's elemental contracts could be useful. Would armour of the elements (air) block/deflect paintball shots, for instance? Or does that break the rules for this game? XD]

  15. - Top - End - #1395
    Troll in the Playground
     
    the_druid_droid's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    In a cornfield
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Waiting For Rain IC: Spring Slowly Comes

    "Watch out, she's up to something!" He wasn't sure that it would do any good, but Jon might as well give them some warning. He steadied his gun against the tree he was hiding behind and aimed for the general area he expected Amy must be sheltered.
    This Machine Surrounds Hate And Forces It To Surrender

    Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    DD, your unicorn is stronger, prettier, and higher-ranking than mine, and her secret lab has a better name than mine. THERE SHALL BE NO QUARTER.
    Ponythread Learns to Draw!

    Avatar by Aruius

    Spoiler
    Show
    Bleeeeh! Alfalfa Monster!

  16. - Top - End - #1396
    Troll in the Playground
     
    BlasTech's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Waiting For Rain IC: Spring Slowly Comes

    At Jon's warning, Isabelle reflexively dropped to one knee. Looking around, she tried to spot anything that was out of place.

  17. - Top - End - #1397
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Thanqol's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Canberra, Australia

    Default Re: Waiting For Rain IC: Spring Slowly Comes

    Isabelle caught two things - a glint of metal in the tree. It fired, spraying paint down from the treetops at both Jax and Ashley. It was inaccurate, but it seemed not to be even aiming at Isabelle.

    And then something happened very fast and very subtly that Isabelle wouldn't have caught if she hadn't been warned from two sources - a single paint shot hit both Ashley and Jax in the back, from the opposite direction from whatever was in the tree.

    From Jon's angle, he could see that Amy wasn't in the tree at all - there was one of the paintguns she'd been carrying, angling and firing itself.
    "Army of robots is such a loaded term.
    I prefer society of robots!"

  18. - Top - End - #1398
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    Deadly's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    The Wasteland
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Waiting For Rain IC: Spring Slowly Comes

    Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    No one else was sleepdrawing. The girl was sitting in the third row to the far left, seemingly for the sole reason that it put her in proximity to a powerpoint for her laptop.

    The chalice in the sketch was impressive, archaic, silver and studded with rubies. It was empty of liquid and perfectly polished. She watched as the unconscious hands switched between colours of pencils and gently smudged the outline where necessary - complex artistic tricks, even as the artist was drooling slightly. The girl was kind of frumpy; frizzy brown hair, nothing special.
    Charlene didn't have much else to do, so she took plentiful notes, both about the girl and chalice as well as the lecture. She was rather curious to see what the girl's reaction would be once she woke up. Would she be surprised, or was this a "normal" thing in her mind?

    deviantArt | FiMFiction | Twitter | Skype : athecoon
    Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Fedora View Post
    Deadly, a delightfully daring drawer and drafter of dissertations. Defying the dictations of our disparate denizens, Deadly decides his direction with a dirth of dependence on the decisions of despotic desperados. Deadly detests dismissive derision, and will debate any dude or dame that dares to detest discussion.

  19. - Top - End - #1399
    Troll in the Playground
     
    the_druid_droid's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    In a cornfield
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Waiting For Rain IC: Spring Slowly Comes

    "Heads up, it's a trap! The gun's on auto... Amy is somewhere else!" Jon turned and searched for any signs of movement around and behind the group, firing off a few shots in an attempt at suppression, though most of it was guesswork.
    This Machine Surrounds Hate And Forces It To Surrender

    Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    DD, your unicorn is stronger, prettier, and higher-ranking than mine, and her secret lab has a better name than mine. THERE SHALL BE NO QUARTER.
    Ponythread Learns to Draw!

    Avatar by Aruius

    Spoiler
    Show
    Bleeeeh! Alfalfa Monster!

  20. - Top - End - #1400
    Troll in the Playground
     
    BlasTech's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Waiting For Rain IC: Spring Slowly Comes

    Isabelle ducked her head as the gun in the tree opened up, spraying pellets in their general direction.

    Pretty poor shooting, doesn't sound like the Amy everyone else was talking abou--

    Her thoughts broke off in realisation, but before she could say anything both Jax and Ashley were taken out of the game. She couldn't tell if Pope was able to see it with her, but absent any further signals from him, she skipped ahead and just let everyone know verbally.

    "Behind! She's behind!" Isabelle shouted, as she threw herself prone in the grass, rolling to try to get a bead on anything that in that general direction.

  21. - Top - End - #1401
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Thanqol's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Canberra, Australia

    Default Re: Waiting For Rain IC: Spring Slowly Comes

    Quote Originally Posted by Deadly View Post
    Charlene didn't have much else to do, so she took plentiful notes, both about the girl and chalice as well as the lecture. She was rather curious to see what the girl's reaction would be once she woke up. Would she be surprised, or was this a "normal" thing in her mind?
    The lecture went on and wrapped up. The girl woke up when the sound of moving feet filled the hall. She glanced at the page with genuine confusion, then shook it off and started to hurry to her next class.

    Quote Originally Posted by the_druid_droid View Post
    "Heads up, it's a trap! The gun's on auto... Amy is somewhere else!" Jon turned and searched for any signs of movement around and behind the group, firing off a few shots in an attempt at suppression, though most of it was guesswork.
    Quote Originally Posted by BlasTech View Post
    Isabelle ducked her head as the gun in the tree opened up, spraying pellets in their general direction.

    Pretty poor shooting, doesn't sound like the Amy everyone else was talking abou--

    Her thoughts broke off in realisation, but before she could say anything both Jax and Ashley were taken out of the game. She couldn't tell if Pope was able to see it with her, but absent any further signals from him, she skipped ahead and just let everyone know verbally.

    "Behind! She's behind!" Isabelle shouted, as she threw herself prone in the grass, rolling to try to get a bead on anything that in that general direction.
    +She is in the cornfield. Converge.+

    All remaining members of the Summer Court were directed towards the cornfield. It was a nasty place to hunt someone - tightly packed rows and no visibility. As they advanced, Caine was hit and walked off cursing. It was only Jon, Vorel, Isabelle and Flint left standing.

    +Isabelle, Jon. Amy Acre is likely saving you two for last that she might take your measure when you are alone. You can act with some impunity while the other two are still active+ came the thought from Pope. +Jon, move to the top of the water tower. I need to see if this is a trap.+
    "Army of robots is such a loaded term.
    I prefer society of robots!"

  22. - Top - End - #1402
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    Deadly's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    The Wasteland
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Waiting For Rain IC: Spring Slowly Comes

    Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    The lecture went on and wrapped up. The girl woke up when the sound of moving feet filled the hall. She glanced at the page with genuine confusion, then shook it off and started to hurry to her next class.
    Charlene debated briefly with herself before getting up and trying to catch up with the girl. She hoped the girl wasn't in too much of a rush. "Excuse me?"

    deviantArt | FiMFiction | Twitter | Skype : athecoon
    Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Fedora View Post
    Deadly, a delightfully daring drawer and drafter of dissertations. Defying the dictations of our disparate denizens, Deadly decides his direction with a dirth of dependence on the decisions of despotic desperados. Deadly detests dismissive derision, and will debate any dude or dame that dares to detest discussion.

  23. - Top - End - #1403
    Troll in the Playground
     
    the_druid_droid's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    In a cornfield
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Waiting For Rain IC: Spring Slowly Comes

    Jon moved as quickly as he could to the tower, and began climbing it. He was struck again by how good it felt to be running around for enjoyment, rather than terror. When he got to the top, he looked around carefully, gun at the ready to see if he could catch sight of Amy in action.
    This Machine Surrounds Hate And Forces It To Surrender

    Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    DD, your unicorn is stronger, prettier, and higher-ranking than mine, and her secret lab has a better name than mine. THERE SHALL BE NO QUARTER.
    Ponythread Learns to Draw!

    Avatar by Aruius

    Spoiler
    Show
    Bleeeeh! Alfalfa Monster!

  24. - Top - End - #1404
    Troll in the Playground
     
    BlasTech's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Waiting For Rain IC: Spring Slowly Comes

    "This isn't going to work." Isabelle said, as she looked over the cornfield. "She's got to be better at moving quietly than we are, just heading into the cornfield is no better than walking right into her sights."

    She looked around. Either she needed glamour, or she needed some way to get up high.

  25. - Top - End - #1405
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Thanqol's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Canberra, Australia

    Default Re: Waiting For Rain IC: Spring Slowly Comes

    Quote Originally Posted by Deadly View Post
    Charlene debated briefly with herself before getting up and trying to catch up with the girl. She hoped the girl wasn't in too much of a rush. "Excuse me?"
    "What?" said the girl, evidently flustered.

    Quote Originally Posted by the_druid_droid View Post
    Jon moved as quickly as he could to the tower, and began climbing it. He was struck again by how good it felt to be running around for enjoyment, rather than terror. When he got to the top, he looked around carefully, gun at the ready to see if he could catch sight of Amy in action.
    As he settled into a crouch to aim, he felt something metallic press against the back of his head.

    "Don't look around," came a soft, Texan voice.

    [This is what happens when you critically fail a perception check]

    Quote Originally Posted by BlasTech View Post
    "This isn't going to work." Isabelle said, as she looked over the cornfield. "She's got to be better at moving quietly than we are, just heading into the cornfield is no better than walking right into her sights."

    She looked around. Either she needed glamour, or she needed some way to get up high.
    Looking around at high up places, Isabele spotted Amy Acre standing on the water tower behind Jon, paintgun held against the back of his head.
    "Army of robots is such a loaded term.
    I prefer society of robots!"

  26. - Top - End - #1406
    Troll in the Playground
     
    BlasTech's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Waiting For Rain IC: Spring Slowly Comes

    Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    Looking around at high up places, Isabele spotted Amy Acre standing on the water tower behind Jon, paintgun held against the back of his head.
    Aw ... fudge.

    Isabelle quickly reassessed her options.

    "Vorel? Flint? Where are you guys?" She hissed, hoping they were still nearby. She'd need a team to try this with even the smallest hope of success.

    C'mon Pope, I hope you're paying attention here. She's on the tower. she thought, unsure if he could see what she was seeing.

  27. - Top - End - #1407
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    Deadly's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    The Wasteland
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Waiting For Rain IC: Spring Slowly Comes

    Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    "What?" said the girl, evidently flustered.
    "Sorry," Charlene said and smiled as she walked with the girl. "I noticed your drawing and thought it looked familiar somehow, but I can't quite place it. Did you draw it?"

    deviantArt | FiMFiction | Twitter | Skype : athecoon
    Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Fedora View Post
    Deadly, a delightfully daring drawer and drafter of dissertations. Defying the dictations of our disparate denizens, Deadly decides his direction with a dirth of dependence on the decisions of despotic desperados. Deadly detests dismissive derision, and will debate any dude or dame that dares to detest discussion.

  28. - Top - End - #1408
    Troll in the Playground
     
    the_druid_droid's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    In a cornfield
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Waiting For Rain IC: Spring Slowly Comes

    Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    As he settled into a crouch to aim, he felt something metallic press against the back of his head.

    "Don't look around," came a soft, Texan voice.

    [This is what happens when you critically fail a perception check]
    "Well, at least I found you. Are you going to shoot me?" It was an honest question; Jon had assumed Amy would take him out during his climb, or at least attack from a distance. Maybe she was showing off.

    [If Jon gets the sense the trigger's about to go, I wonder if he could get a Dex+Athletics roll to try and get out of the way? It's cool if that would be happening too fast, but I thought it might fit with the beast at bay idea - you don't really want to precipitate the assault, but when it comes you have to at least try to fight, or die.]
    This Machine Surrounds Hate And Forces It To Surrender

    Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    DD, your unicorn is stronger, prettier, and higher-ranking than mine, and her secret lab has a better name than mine. THERE SHALL BE NO QUARTER.
    Ponythread Learns to Draw!

    Avatar by Aruius

    Spoiler
    Show
    Bleeeeh! Alfalfa Monster!

  29. - Top - End - #1409
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Thanqol's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Canberra, Australia

    Default Re: Waiting For Rain IC: Spring Slowly Comes

    Quote Originally Posted by BlasTech View Post
    Aw ... fudge.

    Isabelle quickly reassessed her options.

    "Vorel? Flint? Where are you guys?" She hissed, hoping they were still nearby. She'd need a team to try this with even the smallest hope of success.

    C'mon Pope, I hope you're paying attention here. She's on the tower. she thought, unsure if he could see what she was seeing.
    +Form up on Isabelle+ Pope's thought was hesitant; this was a complex problem. +Surround, use your own discretion+

    Quote Originally Posted by the_druid_droid View Post
    "Well, at least I found you. Are you going to shoot me?" It was an honest question; Jon had assumed Amy would take him out during his climb, or at least attack from a distance. Maybe she was showing off.

    [If Jon gets the sense the trigger's about to go, I wonder if he could get a Dex+Athletics roll to try and get out of the way? It's cool if that would be happening too fast, but I thought it might fit with the beast at bay idea - you don't really want to precipitate the assault, but when it comes you have to at least try to fight, or die.]
    [Sure, you can add your danger sense to that if/when it comes up]

    "I would prefer it if you joined me," said Amy. With a ghost of a smile in her voice she said, "Strike down your friends and rule the farm at my side."

    Quote Originally Posted by Deadly View Post
    "Sorry," Charlene said and smiled as she walked with the girl. "I noticed your drawing and thought it looked familiar somehow, but I can't quite place it. Did you draw it?"
    "Are you behind this?" said the girl, suspiciously defensive as if trying to figure out a prank.
    "Army of robots is such a loaded term.
    I prefer society of robots!"

  30. - Top - End - #1410
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    Deadly's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    The Wasteland
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Waiting For Rain IC: Spring Slowly Comes

    Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    "Are you behind this?" said the girl, suspiciously defensive as if trying to figure out a prank.
    "Behind what?" Charlene let a little bit of concern and confusion slip into her expression. She hoped she didn't look like the malicious or pranking type to this girl. She had chosen her look to be sort of plain, not someone you would notice in a crowd or suspect of being anything but a simple student.
    Last edited by Deadly; 2012-11-27 at 08:04 AM.

    deviantArt | FiMFiction | Twitter | Skype : athecoon
    Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Fedora View Post
    Deadly, a delightfully daring drawer and drafter of dissertations. Defying the dictations of our disparate denizens, Deadly decides his direction with a dirth of dependence on the decisions of despotic desperados. Deadly detests dismissive derision, and will debate any dude or dame that dares to detest discussion.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •