New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 48 of 49 FirstFirst ... 23383940414243444546474849 LastLast
Results 1,411 to 1,440 of 1464
  1. - Top - End - #1411
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Waiting For Rain IC: Spring Slowly Comes

Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    +Form up on Isabelle+ Pope's thought was hesitant; this was a complex problem. +Surround, use your own discretion+
    "Okay guys, I've got an idea. If you have anything better, speak up at the end." she said, glancing at the tower to make sure that everyone was still there.

"Amy has to be better at moving quietly and shooting than the rest of us, we can't hunt her down. The only way to beat her in the cornfield is to get her to move to us."

"I can use the wind and cornstalks to try to simulate a large group of us moving through from one side. She doesn't know a thing about my abilities, so I'm hoping she doesn't realise it's a fake. Meanwhile, you two head around to the far side and lie in wait, preferably spread out enough to cover each other and the other side of the tower. Try to hit her when she comes down."

"If she heads for me, I'll try to distract her long enough for you two to catch up again."

"The only problem is I don't think I have enough glamour to pull it off right now, so ..." Isabelle grimaced. "Can any of you spare some?"

2. - Top - End - #1412
    Troll in the Playground

[Sure, you can add your danger sense to that if/when it comes up]

"I would prefer it if you joined me," said Amy. With a ghost of a smile in her voice she said, "Strike down your friends and rule the farm at my side."
    [Cool!]

A smile also started tugging at Jon's face, hidden beneath the protective helmet. "That's quite an offer. But I'm pretty sure you aren't my father, so why make it?"
    This Machine Surrounds Hate And Forces It To Surrender

Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    DD, your unicorn is stronger, prettier, and higher-ranking than mine, and her secret lab has a better name than mine. THERE SHALL BE NO QUARTER.
    Ponythread Learns to Draw!

Spoiler
    Show
    Bleeeeh! Alfalfa Monster!

3. - Top - End - #1413
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Deadly View Post
    "Behind what?" Charlene let a little bit of concern and confusion slip into her expression. She hoped she didn't look like the malicious or pranking type to this girl. She had chosen her look to be sort of plain, not someone you would notice in a crowd or suspect of being anything but a simple student.
    "Behind these - oh, someone keeps drawing these creepy pictures in my notebook when I doze off," she said. "Just - it's a stupid prank, forget about it."

She made to walk off.

[There is some kind of social roll involved here]

Quote Originally Posted by BlasTech View Post
    "Okay guys, I've got an idea. If you have anything better, speak up at the end." she said, glancing at the tower to make sure that everyone was still there.

"Amy has to be better at moving quietly and shooting than the rest of us, we can't hunt her down. The only way to beat her in the cornfield is to get her to move to us."

"I can use the wind and cornstalks to try to simulate a large group of us moving through from one side. She doesn't know a thing about my abilities, so I'm hoping she doesn't realise it's a fake. Meanwhile, you two head around to the far side and lie in wait, preferably spread out enough to cover each other and the other side of the tower. Try to hit her when she comes down."

"If she heads for me, I'll try to distract her long enough for you two to catch up again."

"The only problem is I don't think I have enough glamour to pull it off right now, so ..." Isabelle grimaced. "Can any of you spare some?"
    "I got you," said Flint, hand glowing as he touched her shoulder. "Let's do it."

+Orthodox tactics have never succeeded against Amy Acre in the past+ confirmed Pope. +There is no harm in attempting this. I'll co-ordinate.+

[+4G]

Quote Originally Posted by the_druid_droid View Post
    [Cool!]

A smile also started tugging at Jon's face, hidden beneath the protective helmet. "That's quite an offer. But I'm pretty sure you aren't my father, so why make it?"
    "Don't look a gift hawk in the beak," said Amy.

4. - Top - End - #1414
    Ettin in the Playground

"Thanks Flint, wish me luck"

Closing her eyes, she reached out with her mind and glamour, entreating the winds to heed her instruction.

[OOC: Using 3 glamour to invoke the "Control Elements" contract. Manipulation (4) + Wyrd (1) gives a 5 die pool. Any penalties or bonuses I should be aware of?]

5. - Top - End - #1415
    Troll in the Playground

"Don't look a gift hawk in the beak," said Amy.
    "Somehow that's less comforting than the usual version... are you really sure you should trust a turncoat?"

DD, your unicorn is stronger, prettier, and higher-ranking than mine, and her secret lab has a better name than mine. THERE SHALL BE NO QUARTER.

Spoiler
    Show

6. - Top - End - #1416

"Thanks Flint, wish me luck"

Closing her eyes, she reached out with her mind and glamour, entreating the winds to heed her instruction.

[OOC: Using 3 glamour to invoke the "Control Elements" contract. Manipulation (4) + Wyrd (1) gives a 5 die pool. Any penalties or bonuses I should be aware of?]
    [None that I can think of]

"Somehow that's less comforting than the usual version... are you really sure you should trust a turncoat?"
    "My problem. Yes or no?"

7. - Top - End - #1417
    Ettin in the Playground

[... I need to practice my roll commands ... 5d10 only got me the total]

Roll:
    Spoiler
    Show

Roll(5d10)+0:
    9,6,6,10,2,+0
    Total:33

Roll(1d10)+0:
    9,+0
    Total:9

Three successes, which means 15 yards of effect (I think).

"Got it" Isabelle smiled, eyes opening as she felt the fabric of reality shift in response to her whims. "Okay, go guys. Good luck."

She let the others get a head start before making her way along to the other side of the tower. There, she set to work in crafting her illusion, shaping the air like a master potterer did with clay. It was quick, methodical work; her mind recalling the years of practice she had had in manipulating winds during her durance.

A ghostly grey mist began to form amongst the corn stalks as she reached the far side of the field. At her mental command, she projected this as far in front of her as she could, keeping herself just inside the trailing edge of the mire - after all, she didn't want to lead Amy right to her by walking along in the middle of a big white bulls-eye.

The sun tried to boil the clouds away but she held them in place with force of will as she moved slowly towards the tower; hoping that her approach was obvious enough for Amy to notice it, but not too obvious that it alerted her to the trick. As she walked, Isabelle conjured small eddies of wind that occasionally disturbed the stalks ahead and to the sides of her - imaginary friends ahead in the deeper part of the mists.

Finally, to top off the act, she tried to play the part of the rear guard, keeping her paintball gun trained on the flanks and behind her - hoping that, even if Amy saw her from above, she'd see someone who was trusting others to watch the front.

Cool, calm, collected. Isabelle's thoughts rolled along in her mind like her miniature cloud bank.

Ohcrapohcrapohcrap, this is never gonna wooooork.

8. - Top - End - #1418
    Troll in the Playground

"My problem. Yes or no?"
    "I really hate to lose," Jon shrugged slightly, "but I can't turn on my friends. Afraid you're going to have to shoot."

[Time to roll, I suppose. I make Dex+Athletics+Danger Sense to be 9 dice. Let me know if there are any mods.]

Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #1419

"I really hate to lose," Jon shrugged slightly, "but I can't turn on my friends. Afraid you're going to have to shoot."

[Time to roll, I suppose. I make Dex+Athletics+Danger Sense to be 9 dice. Let me know if there are any mods.]
    [Make this a straight Initiative roll at -2 for giving her conversational warning]

10. - Top - End - #1420
    Titan in the Playground

"Behind these - oh, someone keeps drawing these creepy pictures in my notebook when I doze off," she said. "Just - it's a stupid prank, forget about it."

She made to walk off.

[There is some kind of social roll involved here]
    "I was picked on a lot because of my family and my choices. I got my share of letters and messages with threats, the worst of them suggested I should get raped but many of them were really vague. I know how it feels to be a target," Charlene said, hoping to catch the girl's attention and make her stop. She didn't want to start running after her, that'd just look bad. "Often it's just a thoughtless word or a stupid joke, but sometimes it's more, you know?"

[Thanks for the help. I've been so tired and distracted lately. Intimidation isn't really Charlene's style, and she already said why she asked so changing her story would be tricky. The Empathy route seems like her style alright, and ties in with her background really well.

So Manip+Empathy, any modifiers?]
    Last edited by Deadly; 2012-11-30 at 04:20 AM.

11. - Top - End - #1421
    Ettin in the Playground

Isabelle tried to move quietly through the cornfield as she stalked closer to the tower. Looking left and right with her gun, but always trying to keep one eye pointed towards the tower, just in case something happened.

12. - Top - End - #1422
    Troll in the Playground

[Okay, rolling init: (1d10+2)[9] ]

Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #1423
    Ettin in the Playground

Isabelle was still making her way through the cornfield when the sudden flicker of motion on the tower caught her eye.

C'mon Jon, Vorel, Flint ...

14. - Top - End - #1424

"I was picked on a lot because of my family and my choices. I got my share of letters and messages with threats, the worst of them suggested I should get raped but many of them were really vague. I know how it feels to be a target," Charlene said, hoping to catch the girl's attention and make her stop. She didn't want to start running after her, that'd just look bad. "Often it's just a thoughtless word or a stupid joke, but sometimes it's more, you know?"

[Thanks for the help. I've been so tired and distracted lately. Intimidation isn't really Charlene's style, and she already said why she asked so changing her story would be tricky. The Empathy route seems like her style alright, and ties in with her background really well.

So Manip+Empathy, any modifiers?]
    [+2 because she's had a hard week]

[Okay, rolling init: [roll0] ]
    [Well, she rolled better than that even before I apply the Amy Acre modifier]

Jon had barely started to turn before he felt two sharp punches in the small of his back. By the time he'd turned around Amy Acre was standing, gun by her side, ignoring him and looking out at the cornfield. She raised her left hand and made a jerking motion, as if manipulating a puppet.

Isabelle tried to move quietly through the cornfield as she stalked closer to the tower. Looking left and right with her gun, but always trying to keep one eye pointed towards the tower, just in case something happened.
    The sound of sharp, rapid firing came from two points nearby.

Two scarecrows, wearing cowgirl hats and holding paintguns, were stomping through the cornfield firing everywhere. One of them had been drawn by Isabelle's trap, the other was blundering right at the direction of their group. It didn't seem particularly aware or accurate, but it was making up for it through sheer volume of fire.

Going around was an option, but it meant leaving the cover of the cornfield.
    Last edited by Thanqol; 2012-12-02 at 01:19 AM.

15. - Top - End - #1425
    Titan in the Playground

[+2 because she's had a hard week]
    [Manip+Empathy+2 = 7 : 2, 9, 7, 8, 5, 10, 1, ten again 2

3 successes]

16. - Top - End - #1426
    Troll in the Playground

[Well, she rolled better than that even before I apply the Amy Acre modifier]

Jon had barely started to turn before he felt two sharp punches in the small of his back. By the time he'd turned around Amy Acre was standing, gun by her side, ignoring him and looking out at the cornfield. She raised her left hand and made a jerking motion, as if manipulating a puppet.
    Jon tensed as the shots connected, then sighed. Oh well, he'd at least tried. Standing up, Jon headed for the ladder back down from the tower.

Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #1427
    Ettin in the Playground

Isabelle reacted by doing the thing she'd been doing more or less constantly that afternoon; she hit the dirt, retaining only enough of her wits to simulate her friends doing the same.

Paintballs whizzed over her head, causing her to instinctively bury herself deeper in the leaves and other detrius of the cornfield. The thing that was attacking her may not have been that accurate, but the fact it was actively shooting at her had her pinned down for the moment.

She looked around, first for something to provide cover, and second for some way to hit back at the source. The glimpse she'd had looked like a scarecrow, perhaps she could bowl it over with wind if it got close.

18. - Top - End - #1428

[Manip+Empathy+2 = 7 : 2, 9, 7, 8, 5, 10, 1, ten again 2

3 successes]
    "It's... unh. I've been overdoing it a bit, I know, but every time I fall asleep at school someone puts one of these weird and creepy pictures in my notebook," she offered the book to Charlene.

Most pages were just notes in illegible handwriting. Three pages were different. One was dominated by a huge, hooked fang, glistening with saliva. Another showed what looked vaguely like the school gate consumed in flames. The third was the silver cup she'd seen already.

"I didn't tear them out because they were really good drawings, but it's starting to get weird," she said.

Isabelle reacted by doing the thing she'd been doing more or less constantly that afternoon; she hit the dirt, retaining only enough of her wits to simulate her friends doing the same.

Paintballs whizzed over her head, causing her to instinctively bury herself deeper in the leaves and other detrius of the cornfield. The thing that was attacking her may not have been that accurate, but the fact it was actively shooting at her had her pinned down for the moment.

She looked around, first for something to provide cover, and second for some way to hit back at the source. The glimpse she'd had looked like a scarecrow, perhaps she could bowl it over with wind if it got close.
    Scarecrows were not famously sturdy constructions, and had the added disadvantage of being top-heavy. Knocking one over wouldn't be impossible.

[+2 on the check if that's what you go with.]

19. - Top - End - #1429
    Troll in the Playground

On his way back to the station to wash off, Jon decided to cut through the fray in the hopes of distracting some fire. It might not be much help to his team, and it wasn't exactly fair, but considering the game featured self-firing guns, they were already well out of conventional waters.

Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #1430
    Ettin in the Playground

Isabelle kept herself down as the automaton approached, still firing wildly and paying no attention to either stealth or its own preservation. Closer and closer it moved, as did its shots.

There was no cover, the only choices being to stay down or to strike back.

Natrually, Isabelle struck; her hand forming a fist as the wind mimicked her movements.

[Roll]
    Spoiler
    Show

Manipulation (4) + Wyrd (1) + 2 = 7 dice. (I'm assuming those are the right attributes and no additional glamour cost since the contract is already active?)

Roll(7d10)+0:
    3,6,3,3,3,9,2,+0
    Total:29

Wow, my dice ... only one sucksess

The scarecrow teetered before toppling, its last shots going wild.

Isabelle, meanwhile, scrabbled away; trying to find new cover just in case it got back up again.

21. - Top - End - #1431
    Titan in the Playground

"It's... unh. I've been overdoing it a bit, I know, but every time I fall asleep at school someone puts one of these weird and creepy pictures in my notebook," she offered the book to Charlene.

Most pages were just notes in illegible handwriting. Three pages were different. One was dominated by a huge, hooked fang, glistening with saliva. Another showed what looked vaguely like the school gate consumed in flames. The third was the silver cup she'd seen already.

"I didn't tear them out because they were really good drawings, but it's starting to get weird," she said.
    Charlene flipped through the drawings. The fang brought back memories of the hedge wolves they had met yesterday. Perhaps there was a connection. As for the rest, she had no clue yet, but she was sure it was to be found somewhere.

"None of them mean anything to you, or make you think of something or someone?"

Charlene doubted whatever possible message the drawings possessed were meant for the girl, but it didn't hurt to ask.

22. - Top - End - #1432

On his way back to the station to wash off, Jon decided to cut through the fray in the hopes of distracting some fire. It might not be much help to his team, and it wasn't exactly fair, but considering the game featured self-firing guns, they were already well out of conventional waters.
    Isabelle kept herself down as the automaton approached, still firing wildly and paying no attention to either stealth or its own preservation. Closer and closer it moved, as did its shots.

There was no cover, the only choices being to stay down or to strike back.

Natrually, Isabelle struck; her hand forming a fist as the wind mimicked her movements.

[Roll]
    Spoiler
    Show

Manipulation (4) + Wyrd (1) + 2 = 7 dice. (I'm assuming those are the right attributes and no additional glamour cost since the contract is already active?)

Roll(7d10)+0:
    3,6,3,3,3,9,2,+0
    Total:29

Wow, my dice ... only one sucksess

The scarecrow teetered before toppling, its last shots going wild.

Isabelle, meanwhile, scrabbled away; trying to find new cover just in case it got back up again.
    She saw Jax and Vorel rush the other scarecrow that had turned on them, tackling it around the base and bringing it to the ground. By the time the wind and chaos cleared a little, there were paint marks on everyone except Isabelle, fired from Amy Acre in the tower. Scarecrows and Changelings were both gone, leaving only the two of them.

She jumped down - a two storey fall without any noticeable trouble - and started to walk towards Isabelle.

Isabelle was still in cover, and Amy was out in the open. She had a chance to do something - but Pope quietly reminded her, with a whisper, +Orthodox tactics have never worked against Amy Acre.+

Charlene flipped through the drawings. The fang brought back memories of the hedge wolves they had met yesterday. Perhaps there was a connection. As for the rest, she had no clue yet, but she was sure it was to be found somewhere.

"None of them mean anything to you, or make you think of something or someone?"

Charlene doubted whatever possible message the drawings possessed were meant for the girl, but it didn't hurt to ask.
    "I've never owned a cup that damn fancy, that's for sure," said the girl.

23. - Top - End - #1433
    Ettin in the Playground

Orthodox tactics have never worked, othodox tactics have never worked?! Fat lot of good that does me right now!!!

Isabelle thoughts ran along in her head, performing the mental equivalent of flailing their arms in panic. Here she was, the world's most useless fighter, with a girl - a girl who had killed one of the genrty - strolling towards her like a cornered rat.

She really wished her brain had thought of a better simile.

She needed cover, more cover, somewhere to hide; but this blasted cornfield only had grass, dirt and impractically thin plants, honestly when were they going to invent man sized cornstalks!, - besides her mist did just as good a job, if not better, at obscuring her from vision.

There had to be something she could use to hide; a bolt hole, a sheet of metal, a downed scarecrow, a tractor, a .....

Her thought process ground to a halt, seconds before stampeding off a cliff like so many mentally projected lemmings. She moved quickly towards the scarecrow, knowing she had little time in which to act. Meanwhile, she willed the mist to take on the consistency of 'pea soup', a true ground-fog. Her imaginary "friends" would soon be proving their worth.

Assuming the scarecrow had stopped moving by this point, she approached it and got to work.

[OOC]
    Spoiler
    Show
    Isabelle is trying to hide either under the body of the scarecrow, inside its remains or inside the scarecrow itself if it's large enough and still intact. It's Tauntaun time! Don't pay attention to the small girl behind the straw curtain.

24. - Top - End - #1434
    Troll in the Playground

Although he wasn't sure his detour had helped anything, Jon hurried as quickly as he could to wash off and get back out to give Isabelle some much needed fire support.

Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #1435
    Titan in the Playground

"I've never owned a cup that damn fancy, that's for sure," said the girl.
    "Are these three the only times it's happened, so far? Have you asked if anyone saw anything?"

26. - Top - End - #1436

Orthodox tactics have never worked, othodox tactics have never worked?! Fat lot of good that does me right now!!!

Isabelle thoughts ran along in her head, performing the mental equivalent of flailing their arms in panic. Here she was, the world's most useless fighter, with a girl - a girl who had killed one of the genrty - strolling towards her like a cornered rat.

She really wished her brain had thought of a better simile.

She needed cover, more cover, somewhere to hide; but this blasted cornfield only had grass, dirt and impractically thin plants, honestly when were they going to invent man sized cornstalks!, - besides her mist did just as good a job, if not better, at obscuring her from vision.

There had to be something she could use to hide; a bolt hole, a sheet of metal, a downed scarecrow, a tractor, a .....

Her thought process ground to a halt, seconds before stampeding off a cliff like so many mentally projected lemmings. She moved quickly towards the scarecrow, knowing she had little time in which to act. Meanwhile, she willed the mist to take on the consistency of 'pea soup', a true ground-fog. Her imaginary "friends" would soon be proving their worth.

Assuming the scarecrow had stopped moving by this point, she approached it and got to work.

[OOC]
    Spoiler
    Show
    Isabelle is trying to hide either under the body of the scarecrow, inside its remains or inside the scarecrow itself if it's large enough and still intact. It's Tauntaun time! Don't pay attention to the small girl behind the straw curtain.
    [I will have a Dex+Stealth roll from you, at -6 (Amy Acre) +2 (Fog and dust) for total of -4 penalty.]

"Are these three the only times it's happened, so far? Have you asked if anyone saw anything?"
    "No. It only happens when I fall asleep in class, and I usually wake up to the sound of everyone leaving."

27. - Top - End - #1437
    Ettin in the Playground

Isabelle finished her desecration of the strawman's corpse, settling in to wait, and pray, as Amy approached.

Spoiler
    Show
    Roll(2d10)+0:
    5,8,+0
    Total:13

One success!! Praise be the dice gods!!

28. - Top - End - #1438

Isabelle finished her desecration of the strawman's corpse, settling in to wait, and pray, as Amy approached.

Spoiler
    Show
    Roll(2d10)+0:
    5,8,+0
    Total:13

One success!! Praise be the dice gods!!
    There was the sound of quiet footsteps crunching through the dirt nearby as she remained concealed inside the strawman.

Straw was UNBELIEVABLY itchy to be buried in.

She wasn't currently being shot with paintballs so this was a win for now.

29. - Top - End - #1439
    Ettin in the Playground

Trapped in her straw prison, Isabelle's thoughts were busy cursing up a storm at whoever it was who had had the brilliant idea of making her hide there. Given that it had been her idea, this wasn't improving her mood any as she focused her willpower on not giving in to that infernal itching.

She bit down on her lip, straining to hear the sound of Amy approaching and trying to get a peek out from under the cowboy hat she'd stuck over her head. She needed some idea of where to shoot after all.

Hoping it would lure, or at least distract the other woman further, she willed an eddy of wind to kick up from deeper in the mists, mimicking the sound of another person's quiet passage. All the while, she kept praying for that one lucky moment to come.

30. - Top - End - #1440
    Troll in the Playground

[Not sure how long Jon will take for turnaround, so I'll post kind of vague restocking info until Thanqol suggests he can reappear]

When he arrived back at the farm, it took a minute to actually get the paint off well enough, since it was mostly in at a tricky angle to reach. Eventually he settled for taking off some of his protective gear and scrubbing it down as quickly as he could manage.

Spoiler
    Show