New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 49 of 49 FirstFirst ... 243940414243444546474849
Results 1,441 to 1,464 of 1464
  1. - Top - End - #1441
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Waiting For Rain IC: Spring Slowly Comes

Quote Originally Posted by BlasTech View Post
    Trapped in her straw prison, Isabelle's thoughts were busy cursing up a storm at whoever it was who had had the brilliant idea of making her hide there. Given that it had been her idea, this wasn't improving her mood any as she focused her willpower on not giving in to that infernal itching.

She bit down on her lip, straining to hear the sound of Amy approaching and trying to get a peek out from under the cowboy hat she'd stuck over her head. She needed some idea of where to shoot after all.

Hoping it would lure, or at least distract the other woman further, she willed an eddy of wind to kick up from deeper in the mists, mimicking the sound of another person's quiet passage. All the while, she kept praying for that one lucky moment to come.
    [I'm not sure what kind of lucky moment Isabelle is hoping for. Amy Acre is unlikely to trip and fall over any time soon, and it's only a matter of time before she locates Isabelle.]

Quote Originally Posted by the_druid_droid View Post
    [Not sure how long Jon will take for turnaround, so I'll post kind of vague restocking info until Thanqol suggests he can reappear]

When he arrived back at the farm, it took a minute to actually get the paint off well enough, since it was mostly in at a tricky angle to reach. Eventually he settled for taking off some of his protective gear and scrubbing it down as quickly as he could manage.
    Pope was standing nearby, all of the cards face-down except for two.

"If Isabelle fails then I will have to duel Acre myself," he said. "Which is always a frustrating endeavour for me, but usually entertaining to watch."

2. - Top - End - #1442
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    "No. It only happens when I fall asleep in class, and I usually wake up to the sound of everyone leaving."
    "What I mean is, it must be tricky to draw these in your notebook without anyone noticing, and they certainly couldn't do it unnoticed if someone was watching for it. Have you asked anyone who take the same classes? You could also get a friend to sit behind you next time and watch in case you fall asleep. Then they could tell you who does it."

3. - Top - End - #1443
    Troll in the Playground

Pope was standing nearby, all of the cards face-down except for two.

"If Isabelle fails then I will have to duel Acre myself," he said. "Which is always a frustrating endeavour for me, but usually entertaining to watch."
    Jon nodded, trying to make out what the cards actually were this time. "How did she get to be so good? I mean, how do you practice this sort of thing?"
    This Machine Surrounds Hate And Forces It To Surrender

Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    DD, your unicorn is stronger, prettier, and higher-ranking than mine, and her secret lab has a better name than mine. THERE SHALL BE NO QUARTER.
    Ponythread Learns to Draw!

Spoiler
    Show
    Bleeeeh! Alfalfa Monster!

4. - Top - End - #1444
    Ettin in the Playground

Isabelle sighed mentally, and made her move. She couldn't tell quite where Amy was yet, but sometimes you just had to take a chance.

The cornfield seemed to come alive, gusts of wind shaking the stalks in every direction as the 'dead' scarecrow came to life again. Swinging her paintball around, she hoped her straw armour might at least prove its worth and stop a few paintballs.

Either way, she was going to want a shower after this.

[Roll]

Spoiler
    Show
    (1d10+7)[10]

5. - Top - End - #1445

Quote Originally Posted by Deadly View Post
    "What I mean is, it must be tricky to draw these in your notebook without anyone noticing, and they certainly couldn't do it unnoticed if someone was watching for it. Have you asked anyone who take the same classes? You could also get a friend to sit behind you next time and watch in case you fall asleep. Then they could tell you who does it."
    "I've only fallen asleep in class three times this semester and I didn't think that whoever is doing this would be following me around to every single class I went to on the off chance I dozed off," said the girl. "I think they must already have the picture done and just stick it into the book somehow."

Jon nodded, trying to make out what the cards actually were this time. "How did she get to be so good? I mean, how do you practice this sort of thing?"
    "That's a very good question," said Pope. "I will turn it over to the floor."

"I hear she's secretly a True Fae herself," said Umberto.

"She's clearly the astral projection of that guy in the basement," said Vorel.

"She made a Contract with Victory," said Flint.

"I suspect she's what happens when the True Fae set out to improve rather than ruin someone," said Caine, scratching his chin.

"She got where she is through her own hard work, leave her alone," muttered Jax.

"Some people just roll all sixes during character generation," said Ashley.

"I hope that answers your question," said Pope.

Isabelle sighed mentally, and made her move. She couldn't tell quite where Amy was yet, but sometimes you just had to take a chance.

The cornfield seemed to come alive, gusts of wind shaking the stalks in every direction as the 'dead' scarecrow came to life again. Swinging her paintball around, she hoped her straw armour might at least prove its worth and stop a few paintballs.

Either way, she was going to want a shower after this.

[Roll]

Spoiler
    Show
    [roll0]
    Amy Acre reacted in the exact same split second Isabelle did. Her gun was raised and firing just as Isabelle pulled the trigger. He left hand was reaching up to grab her hat for some reason -

[Dex+Firearms! -1 for the paintgun, -1 for partial cover, -5 for overpowered cheating bullsh*t]

6. - Top - End - #1446
    Ettin in the Playground

Amy Acre reacted in the exact same split second Isabelle did. Her gun was raised and firing just as Isabelle pulled the trigger. He left hand was reaching up to grab her hat for some reason -

[Dex+Firearms! -1 for the paintgun, -1 for partial cover, -5 for overpowered cheating bullsh*t]
    Isabelle fired a splattering of shots in Amy's direction. The girl had no real experience with guns, so the only way this was going to work would be through sheer dumb luck.

[Dex (2), Firearms (-1) ... and yeah ... that's gonna be a chance roll no matter what way you cut it. If I roll a 1, please think of something funny! ]

Spoiler
    Show
    (1d10)[8]

EDIT: Sorry, forgot the slash on the last part of the roll command.

7. - Top - End - #1447

The shot went wide, and was instantly followed with Isabelle's vision turning bright orange as paint slammed into her visor.

She felt Amy Acre pat her on the shoulder once as she walked past, heading back towards the farmhouse.

8. - Top - End - #1448
    Ettin in the Playground

Isabelle sat there for a good half-minute; completely blinded, covered in hay ... and grinning stupidly from ear to ear.

Ahh well, it wasn't like she could've expected anything else, but at least she'd given it a good shot.

Laughing at that last thought, she wiped the paint from her visor and followed Amy back towards the farmhouse, trailing straw in her wake and still wearing the cowboy hat from her impromptu disguise.

9. - Top - End - #1449
    Titan in the Playground

"I've only fallen asleep in class three times this semester and I didn't think that whoever is doing this would be following me around to every single class I went to on the off chance I dozed off," said the girl. "I think they must already have the picture done and just stick it into the book somehow."
    "You've fallen asleep three times, and three times there's been a drawing? That's a lot of luck if they aren't following you around to every class. Whether it's a prank or a threat, or maybe an admirer who doesn't realize how creepy it is, I think it would be worth finding out."

While Charlene knew who physically did the drawings, she didn't actually know why or whether someone else was involved. There could be someone somewhere doing this through her dreams, maybe to impress her, maybe to frighten, or as a message to someone. Or it could be something entirely different.

What Charlene would like was to get into the girl's dreams next time and find out, but she didn't want to end up being the one who had to watch for the "phantom drawer". Instead she hoped the girl would pick some friend of hers. That way the friend would watch and tell the girl that is was herself drawing, hopefully easing the girl's mind. Meanwhile Charlene would be free to sit somewhere else in the back and doze off unnoticed.

"Don't you know someone who takes the same classes you do? A friend you trust?" It felt like the most honest and helpful approach ... for them both.

10. - Top - End - #1450
    Troll in the Playground

"I hope that answers your question," said Pope.
    "Sort of, actually. How long has she been around?"

DD, your unicorn is stronger, prettier, and higher-ranking than mine, and her secret lab has a better name than mine. THERE SHALL BE NO QUARTER.

Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #1451
    Ettin in the Playground

Still itching in rather uncomfortable places, Isabelle exited the cornfield and approached the farmhouse.

12. - Top - End - #1452

Isabelle sat there for a good half-minute; completely blinded, covered in hay ... and grinning stupidly from ear to ear.

Ahh well, it wasn't like she could've expected anything else, but at least she'd given it a good shot.

Laughing at that last thought, she wiped the paint from her visor and followed Amy back towards the farmhouse, trailing straw in her wake and still wearing the cowboy hat from her impromptu disguise.
    Isabelle arrived back at the farmhouse, where everyone was taking off and washing off their gear. Amy Acre was holding her spear and leaning on a fence post and Pope had walked out into the open to face her.

"Sort of, actually. How long has she been around?"
    "Three-ish years," said Caine. "Kept to herself mostly, nobody thought she was anything special until she murdered Peter Pan."

He pointed a gnarled finger at a nearby hill. "On that hill, there. His corpse is still there - and it's made that hill weird. Careful about going up there."

"You've fallen asleep three times, and three times there's been a drawing? That's a lot of luck if they aren't following you around to every class. Whether it's a prank or a threat, or maybe an admirer who doesn't realize how creepy it is, I think it would be worth finding out."

While Charlene knew who physically did the drawings, she didn't actually know why or whether someone else was involved. There could be someone somewhere doing this through her dreams, maybe to impress her, maybe to frighten, or as a message to someone. Or it could be something entirely different.

What Charlene would like was to get into the girl's dreams next time and find out, but she didn't want to end up being the one who had to watch for the "phantom drawer". Instead she hoped the girl would pick some friend of hers. That way the friend would watch and tell the girl that is was herself drawing, hopefully easing the girl's mind. Meanwhile Charlene would be free to sit somewhere else in the back and doze off unnoticed.

"Don't you know someone who takes the same classes you do? A friend you trust?" It felt like the most honest and helpful approach ... for them both.
    "Yeah... you're right. I don't have anyone in the same class, but I can get someone to come with me and keep a look out. Good idea, thanks" she said with a smile.

13. - Top - End - #1453
    Troll in the Playground

"Three-ish years," said Caine. "Kept to herself mostly, nobody thought she was anything special until she murdered Peter Pan."

He pointed a gnarled finger at a nearby hill. "On that hill, there. His corpse is still there - and it's made that hill weird. Careful about going up there."
    "Someone told me she spends a lot of time in the Hedge; is there anywhere she actually has a house?"

Jon followed the man's gesture and squinted at the hill, as if trying to see the body. "How do you mean, weird? Like Over There weird?"

Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #1454

"Someone told me she spends a lot of time in the Hedge; is there anywhere she actually has a house?"

Jon followed the man's gesture and squinted at the hill, as if trying to see the body. "How do you mean, weird? Like Over There weird?"
    "Yeah, man, she lives here," said Caine, pointing at the farmhouse. "And also, yes. World don't work right there no more."

15. - Top - End - #1455
    Titan in the Playground

"Yeah... you're right. I don't have anyone in the same class, but I can get someone to come with me and keep a look out. Good idea, thanks" she said with a smile.
    Charlene smiled as well. "Glad I could help. What is your name?"

16. - Top - End - #1456
    Ettin in the Playground

"I guess these things belong to her then eh?" Isabelle asked, indicating the cowboy hat on her head as she joined the conversation.

17. - Top - End - #1457
    Troll in the Playground

"Yeah, man, she lives here," said Caine, pointing at the farmhouse. "And also, yes. World don't work right there no more."
    Jon nodded as his attention drifted back to where Pope and Amy Acre were facing off.

Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #1458

Charlene smiled as well. "Glad I could help. What is your name?"
    "Katie Beax," said the girl. "And you?"

"I guess these things belong to her then eh?" Isabelle asked, indicating the cowboy hat on her head as she joined the conversation.
    "Yeah, probably," said Caine.

Jon nodded as his attention drifted back to where Pope and Amy Acre were facing off.
    Pope took one step to the left, and fire surged - out from his feet and tracing a ring around the two of them, locking them in together. Pope drew a pair of sharp shortswords and dropped into a professional looking crouch. Amy Acre started casually walking forwards, spear held over her back.

Pope stomped the ground and touched his forehead, sending a blast of fire spinning towards Amy. Amy Acre dodged to the side as if it were nothing. Pope sent another eruption of fire, which she caught on the end of her spear and tore apart into fragments of glamour. Another step and another gout of flame, and this time Acre just brushed it aside with her bare hand, not even singed.

Pope came in, swords flashing like a dervish. Amy Acre stepped back, cool and restrained, dodging and ducking just enough for the swords to miss her. Pope was fighting like a red hot flame, slashing and burning and cutting, but Acre was like a lightning bolt hanging suspended in mid-air.

After ten seconds of furious attacks, Acre saw her opening and took it. A spear-butt to the gut, an elbow to the jaw, and a hook of the leg sent Pope slamming into the ground with the tip of the spear at his throat.

The fire went out. It had taken less than a minute but it was conclusively over.

Amy Acre shouldered her spear, unconcerned, and headed back to the farmhouse.

19. - Top - End - #1459
    Titan in the Playground

"Katie Beax," said the girl. "And you?"
    It came naturally, without really thinking much about it. She had a face, and every face had a name. "Sara Villock," and that was her name today, the name of this rather plain-looking girl. "You study business here?"

20. - Top - End - #1460
    Troll in the Playground

The fire went out. It had taken less than a minute but it was conclusively over.

Amy Acre shouldered her spear, unconcerned, and headed back to the farmhouse.
    "Wow. That's... just wow."

Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #1461
    Ettin in the Playground

Isabelle whistled in awe as Amy put paid to Pope. It wasn't that surprising; after all, she'd expected the girl to be good. But watching the duel was still impressive. Turning to Caine, she asked a question that had been on her mind for a while now.

"Does she ever say anything?"

22. - Top - End - #1462

"Wow. That's... just wow."
    Isabelle whistled in awe as Amy put paid to Pope. It wasn't that surprising; after all, she'd expected the girl to be good. But watching the duel was still impressive. Turning to Caine, she asked a question that had been on her mind for a while now.

"Does she ever say anything?"
    "Sometimes, when the stars align and the wind is right," said Caine. "She listens all right, she just doesn't like talking I reckon."

23. - Top - End - #1463
    Troll in the Playground

Jon kept his eyes on the farmhouse, looking a little lost.

After a moment, he seemed to collect himself, and turned back to the others. "That was a lot of fun; sorry if I'm out of practice. Does Summer have anything else planned for the afternoon?"

Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #1464

It came naturally, without really thinking much about it. She had a face, and every face had a name. "Sara Villock," and that was her name today, the name of this rather plain-looking girl. "You study business here?"
    [Derp, missed this]

"Yeah - look, I gotta get to my tute. See you around, all right?" said the girl, hurrying off.

Jon kept his eyes on the farmhouse, looking a little lost.

After a moment, he seemed to collect himself, and turned back to the others. "That was a lot of fun; sorry if I'm out of practice. Does Summer have anything else planned for the afternoon?"
    "Nah. Just stand around, talk, have lunch, wander home at your own rates," said Caine.

[New IC thread here]