New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 50 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181934 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Default Re: World of Warcraft XIII: Even Aspects Get Nerfed

Quote Originally Posted by Expf View Post
    Shame though but I don't happen to have any Horde character at 85. :(
    Eh, we Alliance characters can have our own cross-realm raid, with blackjack, and hookers. In fact, forget the raid.

2. - Top - End - #242
    Troll in the Playground

Ha, let's do it! Expf, Glyphstone and I -- any other Alliance? We could totally... uh, something. We could blow through Molten Core or Karazhan or something.

I mean, we could certainly do some T11 -- I'd love to -- but I doubt we'll have enough to make a full raid group of our own, and I don't see my guild as terribly up for filling spots. If you two have guildies that would fill spots, I'm all for it.
    Last edited by The Linker; 2012-03-02 at 09:58 PM.

3. - Top - End - #243

I was kidding, sadly. I've already got plans for tonight. But I'll be there in spirit to cheer you on, at least.

4. - Top - End - #244
    Halfling in the Playground

Sometimes I do wish this whole outdated faction concept would go away ... It just seems like an unnecessary form of division within the community. The majority of my friends play Alliance, but I think that's completely due to selection bias since I'm unlikely to encounter a Horde friend in-game, which is a shame, really. I care not for "faction pride" since it's all fantasy anyway, not some kind of sports team.

5. - Top - End - #245

Speak not such words of heresy, fool! Faction is everything, and everything is faction. And I had a really great sarcastic rant back one or two threads explaining exactly why choosing the correct faction is important for demonstrating you are not a failure at life, but I can't find it right now.

6. - Top - End - #246
    Ettin in the Playground

If an Alliance group were to form, I'd be interested in that as well. Just, you know, not tonight. ;)
    John Ling
    Frog God Games Lead Pathfinder Developer

Note: unless explicitly stated otherwise, opinions in my posts are my own and not those of Frog God Games.

7. - Top - End - #247
    Firbolg in the Playground

I choose Horde for 2 reasons. Playerbase and Lore.
    I won't get into the lore discussion, but I will touch on playerbase.
    I'm sorry, back when I started playing, Alliance playerbase had some pretty extreme labeling and stereotyping. And for what it is worth, that playerbase is still subject to the stigma.
    It also doesn't help that Paladins started on Alliance side, and many Paladin whiners who complain that there class isn't the best at everything (Paladins and Mages have candy fall from the sky and still complain that it isn't enough), tend to get lumped in with the Alliance, regardless of what side they are on.

If the playerbase itself could ditch the stigma, I would probably play an Alliance character at some point. Until then, sorry folks.
    Though in my opinion, cross-realm raiding should probably let alliance to group with horde and vice versa. It also would possibly go a ways into clearing up that stigma.

EDIT: I'm stuck going to the movie. Sadness.
    Last edited by Karoht; 2012-03-03 at 01:52 PM.
    ~~Courage is not the lack of fear~~
    Quote Originally Posted by gooddragon1 View Post
    If the party wizard can't survive a supersonic dragon made of iron at epic levels it's his own fault really.
    "In soviet dungeon, aboleth farms you!"
    "Please consult your DM before administering Steve brand Aboleth Mucus.
    Ask your DM if Aboleth Mucus is right for you.
    Side effects include coughing, sneezing, and other flu like symptoms, cancer, breathing water like a fish, loss of dignity, loss of balance, loss of bowel and bladder control."

8. - Top - End - #248
    Dwarf in the Playground

So my resto shaman is about to ding 85. My checklist:

• Get JP boots and bracers from my main
    • Get 1.5k Hyjal rep on my main for the arcanum
    • Do enough Deepholm quests to at least unlock the lesser inscriptions
    • Do the Hyjal quests needed to unlock Molten Front
    • Get the 365 mace and 359 shield crafted
    • Do Thrall's quest to get a 365 cape
    That's still quite a list of things that need to be taken care of. The last three items on the list are probably the most optional, depending on how quickly I can get the ilevel needed to get into the HoT HCs. I already have 378 gloves, boots and bracers, and enough JP to buy the 378 chest. I'll probably do the Deepholm and Thrall stuff at least, but it's mighty tempting to skip the rest and just gear up through JP from normal HCs until I can do HoT.
    Last edited by Skios; 2012-03-03 at 03:22 PM.

9. - Top - End - #249

*Cough* Blood elves *Cough* But more seriously, they are called "stereotypes" for a reason you know. :)

I don't think the playerbase perception can be that serious of a problem. It's a game after all ... and judging someone's character & personality based on what class/race/faction they play is a bit of a stretch, in my opinion.
    Last edited by Expf; 2012-03-03 at 03:44 PM.

10. - Top - End - #250

*Cough* Blood elves *Cough* But more seriously, they are called "stereotypes" for a reason you know. :)

I don't think the playerbase perception can be that serious of a problem. It's a game after all ... and judging someone's character & personality based on what class/race/faction they play is a bit of a stretch, in my opinion.
    First impressions can go a long way, hence the tired old saw about second chances. So I can at least understand the dislike of an entire faction based on encounters with its players, even if I can't intellectually understand the idea of considering millions of people uniformly immature and stigmatized solely based on whether they like red or blue.

11. - Top - End - #251
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Alarra View Post
    Any interest in getting something together tomorrow maybe? I think it'd be fun to play with a fair few of you. I know we're currently locked to FL, but it might be fun to do some t11 heroics/achievements? Thoughts?
    I think I have some spare time tonight, if you don't mind a Frost DK in pvp gear who hasn't a clue about what's what in the raids.

When you say T11, that's like Bastion of Twilight/Blackwing Descent level, right?

Edit: That is, if the login servers are not "too busy" to process my request.
    Last edited by Derjuin; 2012-03-03 at 05:25 PM.
    Behold! My tiny deviantart gallery!
    Comment, browse the itty-bitty collection, etc.
    Morning Star

12. - Top - End - #252
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Erm... what's the stereotype about blood elves? *apparently ignorant*

Quote Originally Posted by Derjuin View Post
    I think I have some spare time tonight, if you don't mind a Frost DK in pvp gear who hasn't a clue about what's what in the raids.

When you say T11, that's like Bastion of Twilight/Blackwing Descent level, right?
    Yep, BoT and BWD. We're going to start on BoT.
    Oh, if you're not on our server and we don't have your real id info, send Zeb or I a pm so that we can make sure you're invited.

I was outzombied by the baby!
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Amotis View Post
    Alarra ate all my awesome and now she's always acknowledged as awe-inspiring awesome. Alliteration aside, Alarra is awesome.

13. - Top - End - #253
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Karoht View Post
    If the playerbase itself could ditch the stigma, I would probably play an Alliance character at some point. Until then, sorry folks.
    Who exactly are you afraid of judging you when you play Alliance? The only people you play with when you play Alliance are... Alliance characters.

Literally, the only thing I can think of is your guild finding out and judging your character based on that, despite having played with you for years prior. Please tell me this isn't a thing that could happen. That wouldn't be a rational human reaction.

14. - Top - End - #254

EDIT: I'm stuck going to the movie. Sadness.
    Feel free to pop in and join us when you get back from that then.

Spoiler
    Show

Alarra ate all my awesome and now she's always acknowledged as awe-inspiring awesome. Alliteration aside, Alarra is awesome.

15. - Top - End - #255

Pretty successful run. We got everyone the achieves for Halfus, the dragons, and the Elementium Monstrosity, but we didn't quite get the one for Cho'Gall. I think one person hit 31 corruption as Cho'Gall was falling down from too many DoT's to wipe the raid and try again. I think we may try to do this again next week at the same time and go for BWD achieves. Then maybe alternate back and forth to get other people the stuff they need. If we get enough people familiar enough with the encounters, and who don't need the achieves any more, we may move on to trying hard modes.
    Want to meet some of the most awesome people on the internet? Come to the Baltimore/DC Area RenFest Meetup 2012!

16. - Top - End - #256

Quote Originally Posted by Alarra View Post
    Erm... what's the stereotype about blood elves? *apparently ignorant*
    When BC was introduced, blood elves were the only "pleasantly looking" race (similar to Alliance ones) and thus attracted "immature Alliance players". Personally, I don't believe it has that much weight in the distribution of players -- I think there's a fairly even distribution of players on both sides. (As an interesting note, Worgens were the first "ferocious" race added to Alliance, while Goblins were the first "small" race added to Horde.)

So in an ICC run earlier today, I had two major lockups in the game and ended up getting kicked off Lich King's platform. The game recovered after a couple seconds but those were not the usual "Program has stopped responding"-type. Windows dropped this gentle message about how the graphics driver stopped responding, and unusual image artifacts began to appear in the game. Since then, I have a foreboding feeling that my graphics card is about to die on me some time soon. A shame though, since I can't really replace a graphics card in a laptop, I might have to resort to buying a new one.

17. - Top - End - #257

My Hunter acquired Karoma the other night.
    A guild member tipped me off that it was up and i lamented that i was in a dungeon and a few mins later when the tank stopped for a extended length of time i bailed to go see if it was still up which turned out to be the case.

Still thinking of a name for it.

On names started a Warlock on the same server (Steamwheedle Cartel) and had to redo the character 5 times before i received a Imp with a decent name.
    Last edited by Leon; 2012-03-04 at 01:50 AM.
    Thankyou to NEOPhyte for the Techpriest Engiseer
    Spoiler
    Show

Current PC's
    Ravia Del'Karro (Magos Biologis Errant)
    Katarina (Ordo Malleus Interrogator)
    Emberly (Fire Elemental former Chef)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_G View Post
    Just play the character you want to play. Don't feel the need to squeeze every point out of the build.
    Quote Originally Posted by Max_Killjoy View Post
    take this virtual +1.
    Peril Planet

18. - Top - End - #258

Quote Originally Posted by The Linker View Post
    Who exactly are you afraid of judging you when you play Alliance? The only people you play with when you play Alliance are... Alliance characters.

Literally, the only thing I can think of is your guild finding out and judging your character based on that, despite having played with you for years prior. Please tell me this isn't a thing that could happen. That wouldn't be a rational human reaction.
    You know how people say "I play X because of my real life friends?"
    I have some of those too. Some who even don't play WoW, and even they are aware of the stereotypes.

As for playing an Alliance character, the problem then becomes one of progression quality and servers. Take a look on wowprogress.com some times. Horde progresses better, for whatever reason. Maybe it's a lack of players on Alliance side, maybe it's a lack of skilled players, etc. Who knows. If I went to play Alliance, I have to accept the possibility that my progression may be impacted simply because of the faction choice.

I've given the Alliance side a chance. And a second chance. And a third chance. I tend to give them a chance every expansion to see if they've got better, so far the impression every time has been poor. I also have enough friends and guildies who have tried Alliance after years of Horde, only to delete the character due to sheer rage at the experience. It may be a stereotype, but it sure keeps perpetuating itself somehow.

@Zeb
    Glad to hear it went well. How many attempts did you guys do on Cho'Gall for the achievement?
    If the party wizard can't survive a supersonic dragon made of iron at epic levels it's his own fault really.
    Side effects include coughing, sneezing, and other flu like symptoms, cancer, breathing water like a fish, loss of dignity, loss of balance, loss of bowel and bladder control."

19. - Top - End - #259

I prefer Horde but do have a small selection of Alliance due to Blizzards inability to make Dwarves a Horde race.
    Spoiler
    Show

Current PC's

Just play the character you want to play. Don't feel the need to squeeze every point out of the build.
    take this virtual +1.
    Peril Planet

20. - Top - End - #260
    Bugbear in the Playground

My stance on faction:
    I prefer Horde in general (particularly Orcs), generally due to their backstory, and I do find I am more willing to shout "FOR THE HORDE!" than I am willing to shout "FOR THE ALLIANCE!".
    However, individually I tend to prefer alliance races, particularly Dwarves and Worgen. The former is because they're Dwarves and Dwarves are awesome, and the latter is due to my British patriotism (I say that, meaning that I admire Britain's past ability to simply pull through immense hardship and pain, i.e. the stiff upper lip, which I see a great deal of in the Worgen backstory, particularly in the events of the starting zone).

So yeah, I don't particularly have a faction-bias, I just prefer the lore of certain races over others (for example, I dislike the forsaken, just because to me, nothing justifies their actions), and I RP just a bit when I play (and by that I mean the odd shout of "Lok'tar O'gar!" when I'm playing my Orc DK, or "FOR GILNEAS!" when I'm playing my Worgen Warrior).

I do believe that there is overall a balance in Alliance and Horde numbers, but that this does not reflect on servers (some servers are as bad as 1 alliance to 10 Horde), but I haven't been on any servers where this has directly affected me (I haven't noticed higher or lower queue times), and far as I can tell, there's buttholes on either side, it's just a case of finding the good people.
    Last edited by Fredaintdead; 2012-03-04 at 10:02 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Anuan
    Yes, but that's Fred. He radiates awesomeness.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bhu View Post
    I like Fred. I shall make him an honorary Pimpsquatch.
    Quote Originally Posted by A Rainy Knight View Post
    I love Fred because he returned from the dead in a form that doesn't hunger for the flesh of the living! Also, he's a nice guy.
    Quote Originally Posted by MageOfCakes View Post
    You're chibi and that's awesome. n_n

21. - Top - End - #261

@Zeb
    Glad to hear it went well. How many attempts did you guys do on Cho'Gall for the achievement?
    It was our third attempt, which was going rather well actually. We would have wiped again and certainly made it on the 4th time, but by the time someone hit 30 corruption Cho'Gall was too far gone for us to be able to die before the dots on him killed him.

Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #262

Picture Under Spoiler
    Let me know if it doesn't work.

Yeah, finally got this done. Should have had it months ago.
    Also managed to score all of the BWD achievements at last. Tomorrow with any luck is BoT Heroic. Next week is BWD Heroic and BoT Achievements, and that's my next mount complete.

Also, I finally cleared 12000 achievement points. According to Armory, I managed to get 9000 achievement points back on 3/23/2011, nearly a year ago. Wow.
    Last edited by Karoht; 2012-03-05 at 11:08 AM.

23. - Top - End - #263

Picture Under Spoiler
    Spoiler
    Show
    http://a8.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/417193_263171700430043_100002116449202_589232_1051 582770_n.jpg
    Let me know if it doesn't work.

Yeah, finally got this done. Should have had it months ago.
    Also managed to score all of the BWD achievements at last. Tomorrow with any luck is BoT Heroic. Next week is BWD Heroic and BoT Achievements, and that's my next mount complete.

Also, I finally cleared 12000 achievement points. According to Armory, I managed to get 9000 achievement points back on 3/23/2011, nearly a year ago. Wow.
    Not working for me. Copypasta on the URL just gives me an error message.

Tonight was an awesome raid night. Not only did we down Madness, one-shotting 8/8, but we had enough time left over to go finish off Ragnaros, leaving me at 991/1000 cinders for next week's FL raid.
    Want to meet some of the most awesome people on the internet? Come to the Baltimore/DC Area RenFest Meetup 2012!

24. - Top - End - #264

Wishful Thinking

I't be nice if they added another plate wearing Hero class that was acaster so all the Caster plate has another avenue to go as opposed to a Single spec of a one class.

It would also be nice if Blacksmithing could make Mail items again. Also to be less bland - something i really like about crafting in both LotRO and Rift is the ability to Augment items for boosted stats or Crit items and then name them.

Augmenting would be the easier to implement i think as it would tie in well with Gems - add a Bold Gem and Boost the Str on the item by a % of the gems value etc.

Maybe make it as part if the Jewelcrating - Skill Crush Gem: reduces a Gem to its powered state for use in crafting skills.
    Spoiler
    Show

Current PC's

take this virtual +1.
    Peril Planet

25. - Top - End - #265

The link didn't work? Odd, I thought the last one did. Thats why everyone was giving me high fives for a cheevo/staff I didn't get.

Quote Originally Posted by Leon View Post
    Wishful Thinking

I't be nice if they added another plate wearing Hero class that was acaster so all the Caster plate has another avenue to go as opposed to a Single spec of a one class.
    I've said it before, I'll say it again. I totally think that this would be perfect for Unholy Deathknights.

It would also be nice if Blacksmithing could make Mail items again.
    Agreed. LW + Blacksmithing had a nice overlap like that.

26. - Top - End - #266
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Leon View Post
    It would also be nice if Blacksmithing could make Mail items again.
    Disagree. I think Blacksmithing only made mail items up until the point that plate wearers needed them. The division is less plate and mail, and more warrior/paladin/DK and shaman/hunter/rogue/druid.
    CEO of Evil Incorporated: "Subjugating humanity for a better tomorrow."

27. - Top - End - #267

Well, a simple solution is that certain kinds of mail are on the Blacksmithing list, and certain kinds are on the Leatherworking list. Caster Mail on LW, Non-Caster on Blacksmithing.

The Leather based Mail is more of your dragon-scale kind of stuff. The sort made from natural materials like hide or existing animal scales.
    The Blacksmithing based Mail is more of your manufactured stuff. Chain mail, metal scales, splints of metal rather than full sections of plate, etc.

The only problem becomes the issue of patterns. Blacksmithing becomes more potentially profitable because they have a larger product line to offer, while Leatherworking would potentially get shafted. The easier solution is then, to allow both professions to make that same kind of gear and use the same patterns.

Again, I'm of the opinion that the overlap was good. But, now that I think on it a bit more, progressing forward with that kind of overlap/distinction really doesn't work so well.

That said, I sort of miss the old specializations. Emphasis on sort of. They didn't work for a variety of reasons, and for leatherworking they were especially not good. With Alchemy there is really no downside to it's specialization system, other than there are certain situations where you might not benefit from them. If they take specializations back this route, they might be cool again. Maybe.

28. - Top - End - #268

The link didn't work? Odd, I thought the last one did. Thats why everyone was giving me high fives for a cheevo/staff I didn't get.
    Yeah, your last one worked fine, but this one's telling me "Invalid Request" when I try to follow it.

EDIT: The actual link you have now works fine. I didn't realize you'd edited between the time that I tried it and now.
    Last edited by Zeb The Troll; 2012-03-05 at 03:15 PM.

29. - Top - End - #269

Somehow adding in an extra line between the top and bottom of the spoiler code did the trick.

{spoiler}hyperlink{/Spoiler} = Failed

{spoiler}
    hyperlink
    {/Spoiler} = success

30. - Top - End - #270
    Troll in the Playground

Well, a simple solution is that certain kinds of mail are on the Blacksmithing list, and certain kinds are on the Leatherworking list. Caster Mail on LW, Non-Caster on Blacksmithing.
    Well, it would be very unintuitive for a new Hunter. If he wants to make his own gear right away, his profession will become almost useless after forty levels. If he wants to make his own gear later, he's got to pick a profession that's almost useless for the first forty levels.

No, I think it would get very messy very quickly to do things that way. Armor professions should scale and adjust with the classes that they're made for, even if it doesn't make a lot of sense to put a bunch of leather together and make mail.