New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 46 123456789101126 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default [Nexus] Harnel's Plots

Welp, as it so happens, it appears it's time for me to get a plots thread, as Slii, Happy, and Neon have done before me. This'll be the area that plots run by yours truly will take place, or any that directly involve me and don't have any other place to go.

Current Plots:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Nothing! Try again next time.
    Last edited by Halae; 2012-02-20 at 12:03 AM.
    If You need me to post somewhere, drop me a message, please

Awesome avatar by the wondrous Kurien.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: [Nexus] Harnel's Plots

Eric's Rebirth

"Y'AI'NG'NGAH
    YOG-SOTHOTH
    H'EE-L'GEB
    F'AI THRODOG
    UAAAH"

Howdy folks, MagNarrator here. Awfully nice of you to visit, it's been some time since NFB had an audience. Normally he does all of his arcane rituals off-screen, y'see, along the border of the Weald.

"Y'AI'NG'NGAH
    YOG-SOTHOTH
    H'EE-L'GEB
    F'AI THRODOG
    UAAAH"

This is a special case, however. Magtok specifically instructed that Needs Food Badly do this particular summoning far from the MagCave, right in an open field in the middle of nowhere, under cover of night, just in case anything went wrong. He also insisted upon coming along in person, too, which is weird, because normally Magtok is absolutely disgusted by magic in all its form.

"Y'AI'NG'NGAH
    YOG-SOTHOTH
    H'EE-L'GEB
    F'AI THRODOG
    UAAAH"

Magtok's starting to get a little frustrated. The two of them have been sitting in a chalk circle, inside a chalk triangle, inside a chalk octagon, inside even bigger and more complicated chalk shapes for about ten minutes or so already, and Eric(a)'s corpse isn't exactly the most fragrant of dead bodies either, no matter how much time and effort's been put into keeping the shell fresh. Why is he even bothering with this stupid nonsense, anyway?
    Last edited by Lord Magtok; 2012-01-27 at 07:33 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by RabbitHoleLost View Post
    Magtok's the best
    "You probably found 'How to Survive a Robot Uprising' in the humor section. Let's just hope that is where it belongs."
    -Daniel H. Wilson
    Unhooded Magtok avvie by urodivoi

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

Beholder

[Eric's Rebirth]

Despite Magtok's frustration, Needs Food Badly's efforts are not without fruit.
    Slower, perhaps, than they would like, but that is the prerogative of the one with which they deign to call upon.

For what rush does something of All when pressed by misguided and insignificant shards of being like these mortals?
    They don't even understand what it is they desire or their place in the grand scheme.

But it is their desire, as uniformed and tangential as it is, that earns them their success.

Nothing changes, in or around their quaint ritualized zone.
    Yet, a feeling of wrongness begins to permeate the air, pulsing through as if lazy waves across sand, eating away at perception around them.

Or, Magtok, at least.

The world beyond the chalk doesn't melt away, vanish, or visibly change.
    He has always been atop this mountain, the blizzard howling around him as he chants.
    Always arranging the stones of his kind's most ancient communal rituals, within this sea of oil, shaking away day-dreams of machine and flesh.
    Always bleeding through the sky in blissful purposefulness, eyes on his prize, beyond the spreading tribes below, ignoring imagined memories of forbidden technologies and dying oceans.

Magtok will be momentarily filled with delusions, things he knows to simply be lapses in judgement, his frustrated mind seeking something more interesting to keep him busy.
    He will also find that the world around Needs Food Badly's chalk has become haze, full of questionable shapes and applications of space. They are familiar, in some way, just beyond the norm yet fitting compellingly with his mind.

Just before them, there is but one differentiation in the haze and shapes, a more opaque form, yet just as transient as everything else.
    Perhaps a becloaked man, or some greater beast, standing before them with unseen detail.

Once again, Needs Food Badly is ignored, in favor of Lord Magtok, as a subtle shift in the perceived form of the entity focuses on him.
    There are no words, no telepathy, no motions.
    And yet, all the same, his own mind will find a way to translate the sensations being directed at him.

A faint sense of oppressiveness exists, but there is no trace of malice, nor danger.

"Greetings, Magtok. Your summons has been awaited, with only small delay.
    I am not He Who Is Sought, but merely an Intermediary, for yourself.
    You may choose to speak directly with He Who Is Sought, if you so choose, if you would accept the trial, or you may conduct your business with myself.
    "
    "Fear and creativity are conjoined twins."
    Absentee Spirit

4. - Top - End - #4

Eric's Rebirth

"I'll take my chances with just you, for now. I'm not stupid."

Magtok tries to seize the faulty MagClone's shoulder, to squeeze it with one chrome fist and fight the urge to panic or scream. NFB is probably some sort of vile, tentacled fish-monster underneath his skin, but at least it's something he can pretend to understand, something concrete and real he can tether to, without feeling weak or pathetic or disgusting.

"I'm here to have Eric fixed."

Magtok takes great care to say he doesn't want Eric brought back to life. He's not sure if little details like that make any sort of a difference, but he has absolutely no intention of making it sound like returning Eric to life is something he'd be willing to make a personal sacrifice for. Eric is certainly no friend of Maggy's, after all. This is all just part of a plot to make Julie's life a teensy bit harder.
    Last edited by Lord Magtok; 2012-01-27 at 10:18 PM.
    Magtok's the best
    "You probably found 'How to Survive a Robot Uprising' in the humor section. Let's just hope that is where it belongs."
    -Daniel H. Wilson

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

Beholder

[Eric's Rebirth]

The oppressiveness in the air shifts faintly, a degree of threatening appearing at last.
    The communicative waves of sensation press in harder, a focus of unpleasant energy centered on Magtok's very being.

"Do not fear the truth, Magtok, when the existance you have accepted is merely a lie, a distraction and misdirection.

Do not present your sense of entitlement to me, it has no place here.
    For you are but a worm."

These last sensations are less of a translation in Magtok's mind, and more of a reminder.
    He always is, and always was a worm. Where has the soil gone?
    What are these fanciful images of the be-limbed giants, of one half gleaming and not?
    Just moments before, he had wriggled up from the muck to avoid drowning in the rain...

Another delusion (certainly that's what it was?) passes, as the figure glowers at the cyborg.

"You are here to preserve your own illusion of self, at the behest of another. You are not in control.
    What you seek is within our power, if you wish.
    However, you must see the Truth behind the Lie.
    Absentee Spirit

6. - Top - End - #6

Eric's Rebirth

"Y-you're a bowl of **** and I don't give a **** about your cosmic truths. Cut to the goddamn chase already."

As cold and biting as his words may've been, the cyborg's execution of them doesn't quite match up. His intent was to sound defiant and unafraid, but he just whimpered and begged his demands instead. Magtok fights the urge to shake in terror, fighting to ignore his unconscious urge to dig himself a hole and hide away in it for the rest of eternity.

After all, this thing...there are rules in places, rules! This thing can't hurt him, it can't really do anything of substance without Magtok's consent, it can't step into what he believes to be reality without the proper alignment of stars and sacrifices. NFB knows those rules, he wouldn't allow Magtok here if he didn't, right?!

Except...except what if NFB is actually lucid and sapient beneath that wall of madness, and resents everything the cyborg has done to him? What if this is revenge? What if this is the end of reality right here and now, and all his fault, all crashing to pieces because of his preposterous hubris? Fudge it, just shake those nightmarish fears aside and try to face this thing with some dignity.

"I'm here because I want another to suffer. Just...just stop with the whatever it is, please."
    Magtok's the best
    -Daniel H. Wilson

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

Beholder

[Eric's Rebirth]

There's briefly a nebulous, but dangerous feeling to the air, as Magtok blunders his way through his accusations and demands.
    The feeling of being under the microscope, scrutinized by something not altogether pleased with your existence.

It passes, within seconds (or years?), and the previous barrage of communicative waves spreads through the cyborg.

"I am barred from your home perception, under normal circumstances, you are correct.
    However, you invited me here, Magtok, so do not presume my impotence.

"I cannot give you the soul you have requested.
    That is a service you must perform for yourself, if you are capable of accepting the burdens associated with the task. You must earn your revenge.
    Similar to what you know as 'planes', the soul of Eric lies away from this realm. I can send you there, and if you succeed, grant you the means to return with our prize."
    Last edited by Chaotic Bob; 2012-01-31 at 05:18 PM.
    Absentee Spirit

8. - Top - End - #8

Eric's Rebirth

Magtok scowls. It's obviously a trap; he's going to be messily torn apart and rearranged back together with new and horrible and foreign matter crudely sewn back in. There is no way, there is literally no way revenge could possibly be worth all the pain and suffering he's probably going to endure.

"Sure, let's go."

It's too late to back down now, though. This emissary will probably do even worse if he runs away like a weakling. The world will laugh at his cowardice, and Julie will have won. We can't very well just let her win again, can we? Even if the costs outweigh the benefits, there are principles at stake, and principles outweigh common sense and logic.

"Let's bring your stupid child back to life."
    Magtok's the best
    -Daniel H. Wilson

9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground

Beholder

[Eric's Rebirth]

"There will be no 'us'. As with this realm, I am barred from that one as well. You will be on your own, while you perform your search.
    I can merely offer you advice and a way back home, should you choose to accept them.

Or, I could simply send you on your way if you believe your own power to be sufficient."

Now, while Magtok's ego is probably more than sufficient to make him think refusing is a good idea for a second or two, the emissary apparently immediately decides to not wait for him to answer.

"Your hubris will serve you well, in this land, as your prowess will be based in your belief in your prowess.
    Should you think you are a worm, you will perform as a worm.
    If you believe yourself to be a master combatant, it shall be so.

This holds true for inhabitants already there, of course, in addition to yourself. There will be those who believe themselves to be superior to you and in all likelihood, they will be correct.
    Avoid them, if you feel any desire for efficiency in this affair, and keep your will devoted to locating the soul fragments.

Once you have located the shards, I will be able to extricate both of you and recreate Eric, to finalize matters.
    Of course, you must allow a link to will, or I can do no such thing."

There is an odd tone to that last statement, somewhere between amusement and interest.
    Absentee Spirit

10. - Top - End - #10

Eric's Rebirth

Eeurgh, what a huge jerkface. Now how is Magtok supposed to be able to rely on his ego when he knows full well that everything depends on it?! That stupid whatever-it-is should've just kept him blissfully ignorant, or maybe said something nice about Maggy for a change. Now, everything might end in disaster, and all because of that one remark.

"I'll take the deluxe package. The trip home, the link, whatever helps."

Magtok just knows he's going to regret this...
    Magtok's the best
    -Daniel H. Wilson

11. - Top - End - #11
    Dwarf in the Playground

Beholder

[Eric's Rebirth]

If the entity is aware of Magtok's misgivings (which it most likely does), there is no mention of them.
    Everyone presence knows how much of a coward and how insecure the cyborg is, so there is no benefit in bringing it up again.

"Then all you need do is accept this key."

There is movement from the entity, although nothing seems to actually change about its "form".
    However, a rather tarnished looking, ornate key appears in the air before Magtok.
    It looks fashioned for an older style of lock, being a good few inches long and possessing noticeable weight.

"Remember Magtok, it is your Self against theirs. Do not falter in your belief, or you will be lost along with Eric.
    You would not wish to give Julie the satisfaction of your demise, I suspect?"

It seems to know entirely too much, but perhaps that shouldn't be a surprise by now.
    There is also that strange, almost amused and curious tone to that final statement, once again.

The key drifts in the air, awaiting Magtok's grasp.

"The key will be our link and your vehicle of relocation. Do not lose it.
    Farewell, Magtok."

And there it is, all that is left is for the cyborg to reach out and wrap his fingers around the artifact.
    Then the proper quest begins.
    Absentee Spirit

12. - Top - End - #12

Eric's Rebirth

"If this goes as badly as expected, I'm going to carve your stupid rapist throat out, Julie. I'm going to keep my end of the deal and then carve you like a goddamned turkey."

Magtok scowls, reaching for the key despite his intense misgivings about this entire journey.

"You too, Eric."
    Magtok's the best
    -Daniel H. Wilson

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

[Eric's Rebirth - The Between]

As Magtok grasps the key, It will feel like he is being microwaved; all hot on the outside and cold inside as his being transports to a place his kind is not meant to tread.

The Veil, The Outside, The World Between. Welcome, Magtok, to the place that exists between worlds.

Magtok seems to be standing on a beam of light, which has a flexible yet hard feel, like a sponge that's had paint caked into it. Though he can still breathe, the "Air" around him is much like syrup, and it'll take strong strokes to move about.

As Magtok glances about, he'll realize he's on a single... layer, is the best way to put it, though that's mostly inaccurate. Every layer here is overlapping with each other, and it may cause Magtok's eyes to hurt to look at for too long, as he can see everything that is on the layer he is currently on... as well as many more layers he is currently next to. The further a layer is away, the harder it is to see, until he can no longer see layers that are about ten away from him. Magtok will find that he merely has to will himself to another layer to suddenly be there.

And then Magtok will see the creatures.

They exist on multiple levels, and are both small and large, defying description with forms that should not, and do not, exist. Multiple layers take up their bulk, such that it's like if you had several pieces of parchment next to each other. Looking at one individually tells you nothing except that there is dots there, but as you add more parchment you begin to witness a three dimensional image. The only thing protecting Magtok's mind from breaking is the simple fact that Yog-Sothoth is holding it intact.

14. - Top - End - #14

Eric's Rebirth - The Between

It only just now occurs to Magtok that he has absolutely no idea what the fragments of Eric's soul are supposed to look like, or how absolutely lost he might be in this senseless void. There's a thousand and one different ways things could go wrong, even without taking into consideration the possibility that the native creatures might try to prey upon him. The odds aren't merely stacked against Magtok, they tower over him, threatening to simply swallow him whole and violently shred him to bits without so much as a sapient thought.

"Welp, time to go soul-hunting."

None of that matters, though. The world doesn't answer to odds and mathematics. Not to Yog-Sothoth, not this senseless void, and certainly not to Julie. No, this world, the void within it, and all other parts of the multiverse bow to just one entity, and that entity is Magtok. This miniscule fleck of flesh and hubris is the miniscule fleck of flesh and hubris. Never tell him the odds, kneel before Zod Mag, and fudge da poh-leez. He goes looking for soul fragments.
    Magtok's the best
    -Daniel H. Wilson

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

As soon as Magtok says that, he sees a pair of flares off in the distance, on different layers than he currently sits on. Behind him are two more, these two fairly close to each other. Does he go to any particular one?

16. - Top - End - #16

Well, being the lazy bastard that he is, Magtok goes with the flares behind himself. He figures that if the flares are something good or useful or soul fragments, the ones that are behind him would also be easier to collect or observe or whatever else, since there's not much space between them. If they're something to worry about or run away from...well, we'll just worry about that later, won't we?
    Magtok's the best
    -Daniel H. Wilson

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

Magtok will have to cross several layers as he approaches one of the glowing points. He's not far from the second, less than fifty feet from his perspective in fact, but it's more than fifty layers separate, so Magtok only has one glowing thing in front of him.

As he looks at it, the glow will subside... and he'll see a young man, one he might remember from a party quite long ago. He stares with glazed eyes at nothing, as there is currently nothing going on in his mind.

Unfortunately, there's also something else. Wrapped around his legs is a plant-like thing. It looks at the cyborg. How, we're not sure, but Magtok simply will know he's being watched.

18. - Top - End - #18

Magtok narrows his eye at the thing, glaring at it with-

Wait, given where he is, can he even say for sure that he is, in fact, inhabiting his own body? I mean, he might be merely taking on this form because it's something that the eldritch thingies thought it'd be easier for his brain to deal with. Y'know, rather than feeling like the formless, glowing mass of egotistical magical energy nonsense goo that he might actually be right now. A question to pose to Magical Jerkface Transporter Guy when this is all said and done, I guess, but definitely not something Mag wants to think about right now.

"Back off, vegetable. He's mine."

Mag isn't going to resort to violence if he can avoid it. The last thing he wants to do is cause a scene and get those bigger things coming in after him, but he's entirely willing to stomp something smaller and weaker than himself to accomplish this mission, if he absolutely has to.
    Last edited by Lord Magtok; 2012-02-08 at 11:39 PM.
    Magtok's the best
    -Daniel H. Wilson

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

A remarkable deduction of Magtok's part. And... potentially a bad idea, as well. Magtok can feel the plant grow angry at him and it grows more as it starts to twist around the image of the human Eric. Magtok will also not that roots are forming as it grows, digging into the image's flesh. Perhaps it's feeding off the energy of the soul fragment?

20. - Top - End - #20

Oh hells no. A supernatural gorilla/dog/eel monster made of cosmic flames and the dreams of orphaned children might be enough to frighten Magtok away, but this is just a smelly vine. A patch of poison ivy or kudzu is nowhere near enough to halter this cyborg's advance, no matter how supernatural or cosmic or voidy it claims to be.

Without another word of warning, he attempts to reach right in, grab the plant with one hand, and do his best to yank the accursed thing away. Magtok's good ol' lighter finger might come in handy here, and he removes the cap on it, waiting for the right moment to bring it to bear on the wretched monstrosity.
    Magtok's the best
    -Daniel H. Wilson

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

The thing will start to try and leach Magtok's blood out, of course. Or his essence. or something. But assuming he used his robotic hand, the cyborg's belief that the plant can't root into him and start draining him will allow Magtok o pull the vine completely away. it doesn't have much movement on its own, not really believing it can after all this time. And because it does not believe, it cannot.

And so the plant drifts off into the syrupy air. as it goes it hits a dirt clump, and sort of spins away. This is followed by the dirt clump opening its eyes, and moving over to Magtok to give him the supernatural essence version of a lick.

22. - Top - End - #22

Magtok simply frowns at the dirt, not sure whether to regard it as a harmless nuisance, a harmless buddy, or a harmless non-entity not even worth regarding as one of the three. Might as well allow it to follow, if that's what it intends to do, but he certainly isn't going to encourage a clump of dirt to accompany him. He's no worm, after all. No matter what the Idiotarums or Yogs or Fiskes or Charons might think.

"Come on, Eric. Let's go get the rest of you before I change my mind about this."

Magtok tries to grab the catatonic Eric by the wrist with his right hand, leaving his shiny left free to defend itself as he tries to pull it along with him to the next glowy flare thingamajig.
    Magtok's the best
    -Daniel H. Wilson

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

As Magtok grasps the image of Eric will be dragged along behind him weightlessley. there seems to be no holes or traces left in his legs where the plant had latched onto him, and he is weightless and thus easy to drag along, but he makes no move or motion, remaining staring at nothing.

the dirt clump with six eyes, though? It will attempt to latch onto Magtok, trying to cover his chest. Oddly, the feelings he's detecting from it are benign, even helpful; it wants symbiosis. It wants to help Magtok, in exchange for protection. It will attempt to wrap itself around Magtok, head to toe, though the cyborg will retain his sight and his ability to breathe, whatever that means in this place.

24. - Top - End - #24

Eh, whatever. The glop can do what it wants, really. I mean, he's going to be culled once this is all said and done anyway, right? Culled or immediately put to work doing freaky Lovecraftian experiments with NFB all the time. Days and weeks and months reciting stupid chants and talking to gibbering fish monsters and dancing in bloody circles just to-

"Do I look like ****ing Spiderman to you? Get the hell off of me."

Magtok tries to pry the dirt right off and throw it away. He never really cared for the Venom/Carnage symbiote stuff anyway. There's a chance he might be able to get through this without getting culled, and he doesn't want to ruin that chance by turning into a hideous sludge monster or something.
    Magtok's the best
    -Daniel H. Wilson

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

Aww, Maggy, you're making Dirt Lump sad!

When not allowed to bond with Magtok's essence, it retreats slightly, watching the cyborg from a slight distance away, it'll follow him over distance and layers as Magtok approaches the next shining point.

But Magtok may notice the feeling of several creatures watching him now that he's done something with himself. Taken the shard of Eric's soul.

26. - Top - End - #26

Magtok keeps an eye out for the creatures, ready to make an example of anything that decides to be the first to step forward. That's just how dumb animals work, isn't it? Alpha male nonsense and making examples of things and intimidation and so forth. His negotiation talents and monologue abilities go wasted on these slimy beasts.
    Magtok's the best
    -Daniel H. Wilson

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

Doesn't assume such things when you've only had two of the creatures contact you

Magtok will arrive at the second glowing thing fairly soon. unlike the first, this one is active, and flailing about itself madly. It's a mass of tentacles, with glowing ridged along it's limbs, mouths here and there, and so many silver eyes. All the other creatures here, including Dirt Lump, appear to be avoiding it.

And then it sees Magtok.

It's scream is absolutely deafening.

28. - Top - End - #28

Fudge fudge fudge fudge fudge! Looking at you made it mad, it must remember who you are and what you did! You got its attention, but now what?! It's huge and nasty and superpowered and gross and your eardrums are probably shattered and bleeding and terrible right now!

"I'm not here to fight! I have your other self, I-"

Screw it, this isn't the time to negotiate. Magtok tries to duck behind the catatonic Human-Eric, shoving it forward as an offering to the big thing, hoping that the two might merge into something considerably less horrible and violent.
    Magtok's the best
    -Daniel H. Wilson

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

Faster than belief, all the creatures that had been following Magtok scatter, going so far on layers that Magtok won't be able to see them at all. The flailing ball of tentacles charges at Magtok, and if he remains where he is, the creatures will make a grab at the catatonic Eric and pull it away from the cyborg. No attacks will come after that; it will merely drift away slightly, the vehement anger coming from it boiling the space around it as the creature stares at Magtok.

30. - Top - End - #30

Magtok fights the urge to shake and shudder like a terrified little girl, and instead takes a step or two back and then gestures behind himself with a thumb.

"Hey. If there's anything in there that can understand me, pay attention. We're putting you back together, I need you to follow me to the other bits."

He continues to back away. Despite his words, Plan A has nothing to do with tagging along with this hideously disgusting and loathsome gruel monster. No, he intends to run away from this obvious threat, get the other Erics, and just feed it to this thing until Eric rebuilds himself, and then take that version of Eric back with him to the Nexus.
    Magtok's the best
    -Daniel H. Wilson