New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 47 of 50 FirstFirst ... 223738394041424344454647484950 LastLast
Results 1,381 to 1,410 of 1493
  1. - Top - End - #1381
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Madness, Blood and Thunder in Ravens Bluff IC

Misti Marva's Moonlight Pawn Shop

"He belongs to that order? I must confess I'm not that familiar with his background, I know him just through his association with Stavra Larshon, and then I noticed some pointed questions being asked about him..."

At this moment the door opens and Cael enters. "Oh, good morning. Busy day it seems."
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff the Green View Post
    Actually, when you first put up the post where the gazebo started trying to eat us, I assumed you were pulling our legs and you'd put up the real post soon enough.

2. - Top - End - #1382
    Ogre in the Playground

Cael looks first to Misti, then to her companion, and then to the cups of tea that sit between them. "Good afternoon," he smiles. "Am I interrupting?" Still holding the door open, he glances back, checking the front for some sign he might have missed.

3. - Top - End - #1383
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Alaister (in disguise) hears the door open, and looks to the new arrival, appraising him quickly. Well, I've gotten most of what I need... Still, this guy... Looks like he can handle a blade... and, well... Quite convenient. Cybrarvain gathering intel, perhaps? Best not to draw too much attention... But I still want to hear his cover, and it's not likely he'll see anything other than my disguise.

After the speech, Alaister smiles, saying, "Not at all! I can't very well occupy all of my host's time with conversation, and besides, it will give me a chance to enjoy my tea. It really is quite good, Misti." With that, he gives a deferential nod to Misti, and resumes sipping the tea.

Spoiler
    Show
    If there are any opposed rolls that need to be made, assume I use inspiration on the first of each type of roll (Spot/Listen/Sense Motive/etc).

Disguise roll is 27, and I win ties vs any modifier lower than +12. I believe the previous disguise was a commoner, so we'll stick with that. Nothing remarkable, just a average common looking guy... Which might seem a bit unusual, taking tea with a socialite of Marva's stature.
    Last edited by candycorn; 2012-11-17 at 04:14 PM.
    All of this has happened before...
    and all of this will happen again.

Moving. Internet access is a bit spotty.

4. - Top - End - #1384
    Titan in the Playground

The Halls of Mystery

Mirielle bids Aya 'goodbye' and heads to the library. Despite the immensity of the task she feels invigorated; books have had that effect on her for many years now. She pulls out both the library's and her copy of Life Beyond the Grave née Horrors from Beyond the Grave before sitting down with her notes and making her research plan for the morning.

Spoiler
    Show
    Knowledge (history) (1d20+8)[23] (+2 if arcana, +3 religion). Only a half-day's work today since Mirielle's meeting.

Y'know, I've never had to do research in an actual library—desert, forest, laboratory, and databases, sure, but not a library—so I have no clue what Mirielle is doing.
    Author of The Auspician's Handbook and The Tempestarian's Handbook for Spheres of Power.
    Ask me (or the other authors) anything.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lateral View Post
    Well, of course I'm paranoid about everything. Hell, with Jeff as DM, I'd be paranoid even if we were playing a game set in The Magic Kiddie Funland of Perfectly Flat Planes and Sugar Plums.
    Greenman by Bradakhan/Spring Greenman by Comissar/Autumn Greenman by Sgt. Pepper/Winter Greenman by gurgleflep

5. - Top - End - #1385
    Ogre in the Playground

At her guest's mention of the words "enjoy my tea," Cael turns expectantly, and somewhat amusingly to Misti, his head shifting so slightly forward as if to beg the question, really? Cael had only met her the day before, but Misti had made a distinct impression, and she had not seemed the type to put social calls before business. Not to mention the fact that the nature of her business hardly seemed to endear itself to...public audience.

6. - Top - End - #1386
    Titan in the Playground

"Well, what can I do for you then? If it is a private matter you'll have to step out for some minutes until my current guest leaves, then you'll have my undivided attention."
    Actually, when you first put up the post where the gazebo started trying to eat us, I assumed you were pulling our legs and you'd put up the real post soon enough.

7. - Top - End - #1387
    Ogre in the Playground

Cael nods. "Yes, of course. I'll be outside then." He glances once more to Misti's companion before stepping out.

8. - Top - End - #1388
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Alaister watches the man leave and shrugs, before continuing. "I don't wish to drive off any of your paying clientele, so I'll try to wrap this up. Time is money, after all. If you happen to dig up anything on Black Sorrow that you think may be helpful to us, I'd appreciate having the opportunity to negotiate for it. Also, if the guy who just walked in asks any questions about me, I'd appreciate knowing."

Spoiler
    Show
    Alaister will wait for any replies, but, provided nothing is said that requires a response, he'll bid Misti a good day, thank her for the hospitality, and head out. On the way out, he'll nod to Cael. After that, if he sees Aya, he'll wait until Cael enters the shop, then approach her. If not, then he'll continue to meet Mirielle.
    Last edited by candycorn; 2012-11-18 at 08:16 PM.

9. - Top - End - #1389
    Titan in the Playground

"We had a deal on this... And why do you expect him to be interested in you anyway?" Misti asks with arched eyebrows.

Spoiler
    Show
    Short pause for Cael. Sallera rolled a Listen check, but I'm not sure what exactly the plan was, how close Aya was supposed to get.

Also, please don't forget to list current location with your posts. It's just a fomality, but it helps to spot which posts belong together.
    Last edited by TheFallenOne; 2012-11-19 at 08:09 AM.

10. - Top - End - #1390
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Misti Marva's

Alaister smiles sadly, replying, "My dear, I expect any stranger to be plotting against me... Someone walking into your shop is normal for you... Someone interrupting my attempt to gather information on an assassin? Suspicious to me. It's probably nothing, but I don't like trusting 'probably'. In any case, I don't wish to take up too much of your time. I am sure your time is more valuable than mine. Good day, misti; I will let you know what the status of the job with Ms. Lashon is.

11. - Top - End - #1391
    Titan in the Playground

The Halls of Mystery -> Mirielle's Apartment

Shortly before the noon hour, Mirielle packs up her notes and books and heads home. The walk home does not agree wither; though she's been in the Reach for some months, the cold wet air brings unpleasant twinges that remind her that she is no longer a novice, and she's reminded that every moment is another step towards her grave.

This is not as unpleasant a thought as it sounds. She knows what the afterlife brings her, and, after all, she's spent her life serving her god and the souls of the soon-to-depart; dying will merely mean she instead serves the souls of the recently departed.

Both buoyed and anchored by her macabre musings, Mirielle arrives at her apartment and fixes a small lunch as she waits for Jorran and Alaister.

Spoiler
    Show
    How long is Life Beyond the Grave? She's three castings of greater amanuensis in (=60,000 words).
    Author of The Auspician's Handbook and The Tempestarian's Handbook for Spheres of Power.
    Well, of course I'm paranoid about everything. Hell, with Jeff as DM, I'd be paranoid even if we were playing a game set in The Magic Kiddie Funland of Perfectly Flat Planes and Sugar Plums.
    Greenman by Bradakhan/Spring Greenman by Comissar/Autumn Greenman by Sgt. Pepper/Winter Greenman by gurgleflep

12. - Top - End - #1392
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Gowntown --> Mirielle's Apartment

As noon starts to approach, Jorran decides to leave, early enough to reach Mirielle's apartment a few minutes before the intended time of the meeting without any particular hurry.

Reaching Mirielle's apartment, he knocks on the door. Scanning behind Mirielle if Alaister has arrived, and concluding that he has not. "Hello again. Looks like Alaister isn't here yet," he says.

Spoiler
    Show
    What is the raven doing by the way? Is it still tagging along?
    Last edited by Frog Dragon; 2012-11-21 at 04:03 PM.
    Frog in the playground.

My homebrewer's extended signature.

I have Str 5!

Quote Originally Posted by BobVosh View Post
    Wall of text attacks! CRITS!

13. - Top - End - #1393
    Ogre in the Playground

Cael acknowledges Misti's departing guest with a thin smile and a raised brow before heading back into her shop and closing the door.

"Hello, again," he smiles more fully. "Before we discuss today's business, let me say 'thank you' for yesterday's. Clearly, it wasn't the easiest news to hear, but I had the opportunity to visit Liara's cell later in the afternoon, and the Watch seems to be treating her better than I might have expected."

After taking a few silent steps along the wall of the shop, eying Misti's wares, Cael stops and exhales deeply. "So," he allows the suspense to hang in the air for a moment, "what do you know of Sigil, the City of Doors?"

14. - Top - End - #1394
    Titan in the Playground

Misti blinks twice with a confused look. "Sigil? Don't think I ever heard of it. Somewhere in the south perhaps? I admit my geography is a little rusty downwards of Chondath."

Spoiler
    Show
    the raven tags along, but stays outside when Jorran enters a building.

15. - Top - End - #1395
    Titan in the Playground

Mirielle's Apartment

"No, not yet," Mirielle replies, "but he should be here soon. Have you eaten?"

Spoiler
    Show
    I have turkey, duck, sweet potatoes, cranberry sauce and pie!
    Last edited by Jeff the Green; 2012-11-22 at 01:09 PM.

16. - Top - End - #1396
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Mirielle's Apartment

Jorran steps inside, watching as the raven takes flight from his shoulder. He shrugs, figuring it'll be back soon. "This morning, yes. I was actually eating when you visited," he says.
    Frog in the playground.

I have Str 5!

17. - Top - End - #1397
    Titan in the Playground

Mirielle's Apartment

"Well, come in and have some lunch while we wait for Alaiter." Mirielle glances quizzically at the raven. "Who's your friend?"

18. - Top - End - #1398
    Ogre in the Playground

Cael chuckles at Misti's answer. "Not quite," he smiles. "Although," his eyes stare past hers for a moment, "I suppose your guess was better than mine. It is, by my understanding, a world unto itself. A world which holds the doors that lead to and from every other world." He pauses for a moment, both to let Misti consider this information, but also to gauge her reaction. "Now, I don't know much more about the city itself, but I know enough to recognize the value of these doors, and," he adds with a subtly suggestive angling of his head and raising of his brow, "in knowing where to find them."

19. - Top - End - #1399
    Titan in the Playground

"When you say world, do you mean plane?" she asks sceptically. "A nexus of planar portals? I heard of a couple places with some of them, but pretty sure not all. How is that supposed to work anyway, some of these places rather... dislike each other. And the only extraplanar city I know of is the City of Brass. Suffice to say, such things are beyond what I care to get involved in."

20. - Top - End - #1400
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Mirielle's Apartment

"That's the bird I mentioned yesterday," Jorran says stepping out of his boots. "I was supposed to use it to contact the greycloaks when we find out something new."
    Frog in the playground.

I have Str 5!

21. - Top - End - #1401
    Ogre in the Playground

"'Plane,' 'world,'"
    Cael rolls his eyes, seeing little importance in the distinction. "Yes, that's exactly what I mean." When Misti questions the social and political dynamics of the planar crossroads, he simply shrugs. "I haven't a clue how it all works, but surely there are people in this city who do. I figured I would come to you with this first, but if it isn't your...cup of tea," he glances to the tea service still sitting on the table and smiles, "might you be to point me towards a more suitable party?"

22. - Top - End - #1402
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Mirielle's Apartment

After a short jog, Alaister makes it to Mirielle's apartment. He knocks, and when the door is opened to his rather effective commoner disguise, he speaks in a voice that is clearly not disguised... "Good afternoon, Mirielle. I hope I didn't keep you waiting overly long. I tried to keep my noon meeting as brief as possible, whilst still getting what we were looking for; to that end, I believe I have some things to tell you that I'm sure you'll want to know."

23. - Top - End - #1403
    Titan in the Playground

"I know no experts on planar matters by name, but I'm sure the High House of Magic has some people knowledgeable in it", she answers after mulling it over for a moment. "As would the Sages Guild most likely, though they're more a club than a proper organized guild. The latter is easier to approach without connections, but their answers don't come cheap."

24. - Top - End - #1404
    Ogre in the Playground

"I see," Cael nods. "And where does this club meet?" He was looking to sell information more than he was looking to buy it, and preferring to negotiate with an individual as opposed to an entire organization, he decides to visit the Sage's Guild first.

Once Misti has given him directions, Cael will thank her and then depart for the Sage's Guild. Taking a route that passes by Ravendark Castle, he will find a quiet area along the way to cast locate object as discretely as possible, searching for the marked coin he gave to his sister. He's not necessarily trying to determine her exact location, but he wants to at least get a general idea of where she is within the castle.

25. - Top - End - #1405
    Titan in the Playground

Tch. So much for getting that information for free. Sighing as Misti's walls prove as well-insulated as she had expected, Aya waits for Alrhuar to leave, slipping inside as soon as he's a block or so away.

"Afternoon, Misti. That was quite the impressive appearance you and Vanet made last night." Smiling brightly, Aya tilts her head toward the door. "I'm in a bit of a hurry with some Order business, so I'll keep this short. What's the price for all the information 'Alrhuar,' there, asked about and was given?" While she doesn't go quite as far as making quotes in the air, her tone makes it clear that she knows the name is a false one.
    Wriggle avatar by memnarch.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

26. - Top - End - #1406
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Mirielle's Apartment

Jorran stands up from his chair when he hears the knocks on the door.
    "Alaister, probably," he says. Then he sees the unfamiliar face behind the opened door. He raises his eyebrow, and then realizes that he has heard the voice before. "Have I met you?" he asks, still suspicious.
    Frog in the playground.

I have Str 5!

27. - Top - End - #1407
    Titan in the Playground

Oldover House

Oldover House in the Holyhouses neighborhood is the headquarters of the Sages Guild. The fourstory mansion is constructed in the style of the stump of a miniature keep, massively built of stern stone. What seems to be giant purple tapestries covering the facade on first glance reveals itself as intricate mosaicwork on closer inspection. A deep archway leads to the steps of the entrance, and from the center of the archway protrudes the stone torso of a beared man, holding an open book in one hand and a glowing sphere in the other.

Inside is a carpeted entrance hall with a set of darkwood double doors at the end. A small reception is at the left side, occupied by a female halfelf.

Spoiler
    Show
    It's not enough to pinpoint, but together with visiting the place you have some idea where the cell is. It seems not to touch the outer wall of the castle.

"Err..." Misti seems somewhat uncomfortable at the question. "I'm afraid that's a service I'd rather not provide. I mean, honestly, how much would you or your friends trust me if you knew I sell out my clients when offered the right amount of coin? That's a slippery slope there, bad for business, bad for character. Unless I have certain objections to what someone intends to do their business with me stays between them and me."

28. - Top - End - #1408
    Titan in the Playground

Aya gives a conciliatory shrug. "We found out about Alaister from you, so I assumed who was after certain information was as much a part of your business as the information itself. At any rate, it may be a bit inconvenient, but it's not as though I don't understand your position. I guess I'll just have to catch up and ask him myself. I don't suppose he said where he was going?"
    Wriggle avatar by memnarch.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

29. - Top - End - #1409
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Mirielle's place

Alaister sighs, before replying in a rather exasperated tone to Jorran. "I should hope so, considering we all agreed to meet here to discuss how we're going to deal with the man who robbed you of your sword and satchel a while back."

30. - Top - End - #1410
    Titan in the Playground

"Well, at the time I had no agreement with Alaister, not to mention reason to suspect he might be in league with the assassin your friend is after", she says with a frown. "I do know where he planned to go, but I'll only say if you tell me what this is about. First Alaister comes, then he drops in, and you must have been right on his tail... A little coincidental. Who is spying on who here?"