New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground

Default [3.5] All Will Be One: Red Carpet

OOC

So focused were many, on the creature inside, on what questions to ask it, that people forgot the house that it dwelled in. Many thought of its form: would have two arms, or four? Would it be a long lost Outsider from the Blood War's early hours, or perhaps an Elemental from before the Planes? Would it be a human? Would it be an elf? Would it be man? Would it be woman? Would it be a child? While these questions were not wrong to ask, these people were not focusing on the bigger obstacle.

The Chrono-keep. It stood, in the middle of valley, high mountains on all sides, beacon-like, calling thousands to its gate. Stone-like architecture, long and curved pieces winding and circling one another, sometimes trading off different pieces, sometimes leaving them to float in the air, to be picked up by another floating chunk in just a moment. Some moved fast, and others held still, but even under observation, one could tell it would do this forever.

Many came to its gates, yes. Some to simply observe the outside of it, some to observe those who came. Inside the valley, the idea of conflict, so close to the strange magic and power of the Chrono-keep, seemed... too risque. An idea that spread quickly, and while many animosities were still apparent, they were kept to glares and verbal threats. So many waited outside the keep, looking for its gate. On the third week of its appearance, part of its base simply flew away, sliding into the structure.

And many rushed in.

That was three days ago.

In that time, you have managed to find some familiar faces, and some familiar tales. Taking this as your best means of survival against the many groups and clans and Guilds and troops and squads and what else have you, as well as against the will of the Chono-keep itself, you have stayed together.

You currently find yourself in a large waiting room, if anything. The walls and floor and ceiling, some forty feet up, as well as the pillars that support it, composed of a black and white marble. Gold outlines several wall fountains, and clear water sits, undisturbed in them.

This is where you have found yourself after a brief resting period.

Liar: Mindsight
    Spoiler
    Show
    In certain rooms, you've found that your Mindsight ability changes. Sometime you become keenly aware of the environment, and your power range widens. In others, you've found yourself keenly aware of various body parts and internal organic workings of creatures within a shorter range. In two rooms, so far, you've found it simply shut off.

In this room, it hasn't been changed at all.

Spoiler
    Show
    You're in a twenty by forty foot room. Two exits are on one wall, though they are on opposite ends of it, and one exit on the opposite wall from them, in the middle.

Things you have learned by now:
    • Spells and knowledge have not been able to help you figure out the cardinal directions (North, South, East, West).
    • Some walls you cannot go through while incorporeal, though you only figure that out as you are attempting to do so.
    • Every time your group stops for a period of five or more hours in the same room, you are transported into another. Spells and effects to counteract this haven't been met with the best of results; by this time, however, you have healed the damage done to skin. Anyone sleeping during this transportation method is left undisturbed.
    Just finding my roots again.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Default Re: [3.5] All Will Be One: Red Carpet

Castiel, in the guise of a common human, looks over the group, the smallest hint of a frown playing at the corners of his mouth. He ponders for a moment, apparently considering something. Whatever it is, it certainly doesn't occupy his thoughts for more than a moment, before his customary neutral expression returned. He clears his throat, and speaks, "I imagine we are all aware of the situation we find ourselves in, but I would see it voiced. As it stands, those of us in this room are, if not trusted, at least known. We've got a long, and mysterious road ahead, and if we're to overcome the other supplicants, as well as the likely dangers of this fortress, then it would behoove us to work together. Does anyone here object to such an arrangement?"
    All of this has happened before...
    and all of this will happen again.

Moving. Internet access is a bit spotty.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

Mystez looks at Castiel, shaking his head silently. "We've been over this before. None of us have such an issue."

Form flickering for a moment, the incorporeal Xeph floats over to the two exits on the wall, staying five feet off the floor and well away from the actual doors. Peering at them for a moment, Mystez splits his concentration for a moment before nodding to the crystal floating at his shoulder. It takes off and goes to the third door.

All three doors are simultaneously searched for traps, triggers, and locks.

If nothing is found, all doors open simultaneously as well to allow the group to make their choice of ways to leave.

Spoiler
    Show

Using Telekinetic Force innate ability, swift concentration, and using TK Force again. Invoking Solicit Psicrystal to have it take over the second TK Force, and then invoking TK Force a third time. Searching both doors, taking 10 for a total of 50.

The psicrystal takes 10 as well, getting a 41.

PP Spent: 5
    PP Remaining: 460/511
    Most excellent Rising Echo avatar created by GryffonDurime.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cardea View Post
    That is the scariest two lines I have read in a forum of any kind.
    Take two internets, a cookie and a vorpal sword, please.
    Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, drunkeness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.

Don't be stupid.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Toryn

Toryn stood in the middle of the room looking at the two doors on the far wall. One hand rested on the hilt of his sheathed sword while the other counted beads on a prayer necklace tied to his belt. The past few days had been confusing and hectic, two things that he disliked. There was no order in the mass gathering that waited for the Keep to open, no planning or forethought except for the small militias that came to claim the Keep. He smiled as he remembered the faces of the few Shadow Guard he had spotted in the crowd. Are they here for the Keep or to watch me? Probably both.

The angel spoke and Toryn ignored him. He walked closer to the doors and glanced at the ground, looking for any signs of recent passage. He bent down and ran a finger along the floor and touched the wall, then sniffed the air for strange scents and a wind current. Though his bones creaked as he stood up he made no sigh or complaint and he turned back to the others. "Your suggestion is sound, and though I have no desire to travel further with you than necessary I care even less to tread this place alone." The two birds sitting on his right shoulder both squawk in protest at being counted out and he raises an eyebrow. "You are ever with me, have no fear of that." The hawk and raven both have features unnatural to avians; their claws are tinged red, their feathers are a mixture of cobalt blue and black so dark it seems purple, and when they flap their wings the air smells of brimstone for a moment.

Spoiler
    Show
    Toryn's SOP for each room has been/will be to check for tracks at all visible entrances and exits. Taking 10 nets him a result of 47.

Stat Block
    Spoiler
    Show

HP 370/370
    AC 39 (44 vs ranged)
    Fort/Ref/Will +30/+29/+33

Command Undead: 0/13 used
    Smite Good: 0/4 used

Relevant Effects/Powers:
    Gwaeron's Boots: Pass Without Trace, produce no smell, can't be detected by scent ability.
    Bane of Enemies/Unholy Strike: Weapon counts as Unholy and Bane: Evil Outsider, Undead, Elemental, Good Outsider, Dragons.
    Detect Good at-will: Scans each creature he talks to.
    Gauntlets of Weaponry Arcane: Weapon counts as silver for bypassing DR.
    Dragon's Eye Amulet: Blindsense 30ft.
    Wings of Flying: 60ft speed, good maneuverability.
    Ring of Spell-Battle: Aware of all spellcasting within 60ft.
    Divine Defiance: Counterspell as immediate action.
    Last edited by Chambers; 2012-12-18 at 07:17 PM.
    "We have sent many to Hell, to smooth our way," said I, "and we are standing yet and holding blades. What more?"- Roger Zelazny, This Immortal
    Avatar Image: The Great Wave off Kanagawa by Hokusai; bitmap version by me.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Elodin

With his hands clasped behind his back, Elodin floats barely an inch above the floor, silent, expressionless, and save for his pale blue eyes, utterly motionless. He has been this way for the majority of the past three days, never moving an inch more than he must, never gesturing idly, never pacing, never smiling or even blinking. He has cast a number of spells since entering the keep, and has spoken on the occasion of being addressed directly, but he has otherwise seemed reserved in the extreme, the sword laying sheathed across the small of his back having yet to be touched, let alone drawn from its scabbard.

His customary silence seems answer enough to the angel's question, and so Elodin turns his attention to the spectral xeph and the pair of doors across the room. Having spent entire centuries in places where time and space have no meaning, the rules of this world seem almost foreign to him now, and he can hardly recall how long it has been since he last concerned himself with such elementary physical constructs as walls and doors.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

If the group's dismissive tones and actions carry any particular insult, Castiel seems not to notice, as he chants briefly, before speaking again. "Since any trustworthy enough to give meaning to their word have given it, I see no further point in tarrying here. Since we have three paths before us, as well as the option to remain here and be sent elsewhere. Is anyone aware of a reason to prefer one path over the next?"

OOC/Mechanics:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Casting Augury, on the question "Were we to investigate the water within the fountain, would this bring weal or woe?"

Augury Rolls (2 rolls, take whichever roll yields the most accurate answer):
    Spoiler
    Show
    (1d100)[92]
    (1d100)[50]

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

Toryn looks over the entrances to the room, looking for markings or dents, scratches or marks, inhaling deeply for a moment at each one. He shakes his head. Castiel's eyes flash white as Toryn looks over the doors. There seems to be a lighter air around her. This all fades away after a minute, the brief connection to divinity over.

Mystez invokes a brief but powerful burst of psionic force, and all three doors open, slamming into their respective walls. The door that stands alone opens up into a short, small space, the material changing from marble to stone brick. One door on the opposite wall opens into a long hallway, its material composed of a dull, metallic looking substance. The last door, however, is stranger, as looking through the doorway is a wall of water.

Castiel
    Spoiler
    Show
    You receive no response.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Elodin

Elodin looks to each of the opened doorways in turn, his eyes lingering for a moment on the water's surface before he turns away and begins to whisper in the language of the arcane. Spreading his hands through the air before him, a series of diminutive spheres wink into existence, nearly 30 of them in all, to form a spinning ring around the robed arcanist. Almost immediately, the ring expands many times over, the orbs distancing themselves from another before peeling away into two separate columns. Half proceed into the brick room, while the other half proceed down the corridor of metal. Perhaps somewhat conspicuously, none approach the water's edge.

Spoiler
    Show
    Elodin casts expends his 8th level reserved spell slot to cast Greater Prying Eyes at caster level 25 via Uncanny Forethought.
    Instructions given to all of the eyes: "Space yourselves apart by 20 feet. Upon witnessing destruction of another eye, return. After 2 hours, return."

Instructions given to a first half (14) of the eyes: "Search the brick room."

Instructions given to a second half (15) of the eyes: "Search the metallic hallway."
    Last edited by rypt; 2012-12-24 at 12:29 AM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Castiel produces a small rod from his pack, as well as a pair of platinum rings.
    He says to all, "Please lower any resistances to spells you may possess and fully enter the material plane. I am preparing to fortify all against harm." He then begins chanting words of magic for several moments. As each spell ends, arcs shoot out to the entire group. He hands a ring to Elodin, saying, "Wear this, please. It will enable me to guard you from injury." After this, he weaves one more quick spell.

Spoiler
    Show

First: Activate Karma Bead. +4 Caster Level
    Second: Alter Fortune into the ring
    Third: Energy Immunity (Sonic) - DMM Reach spell, Chained to the group
    Fourth: Energy Immunity (Electricity) - DMM Reach spell, Chained to the group
    Fifth: Energy Immunity (Fire) - DMM Reach spell, Chained to the group
    Sixth: Superior Resistance - DMM Reach spell, Chained to the group
    Seventh: Cast Moment of Prescience
    Eighth: Cast Greater Magic Weapon - DMM Reach spell, Chained to all weapons in the group.
    Ninth: Cast Shield Other, targeting Elodin (provided he puts on ring)
    Tenth: Remove Fear on the party

each must hit a ranged touch, each gets 2 chances. All hit on a 2 or higher.

(1d20)[16] (1d20)[6] if both are 1, then no Sonic
    (1d20)[9] (1d20)[6] if both are 1, then no Electric
    (1d20)[14] (1d20)[17] if both are 1, then no Fire
    (1d20)[13] (1d20)[13] if both are 1, then no Resistance
    (1d20)[20] (1d20)[1] if both are 1, then no Magic Weapon

Activate Holy Aura
    Activate See Invisibility
    Activate Aid on each member of the party.

Castiel: (1d8+10)[13] temp HP
    Elodin: (1d8+10)[16] temp HP
    Toryn: (1d8+10)[15] temp HP
    Mystez: (1d8+10)[11] temp HP
    The Prisoner: (1d8+10)[17] temp HP

Edit: Results:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Everyone has Temp HP.

I have a magic circle vs evil and lesser globe of invulnerability active.
    I have See Invisibility and True Seeing active.
    I have moment of Prescience Active.

Elodin is under the effect of Shield Other. I take half his damage (round down for Elodin, up for me). Also, redundant +1 resistance to save and +1 deflection to AC.

Everyone is immune to Fire, Electricity, and Sonic damage.

Every weapon that had an enhancement bonus less than +5 is increased to +5.

Everyone has a +6 resistance bonus to all saves.

Everyone has a +4 Morale bonus to saves vs. Fear.

All bonuses (except for Temp HP, Remove Fear, and Holy Aura) last for at least 24 hours. They are also all Caster level 28, CL 32 to dispel.

The temp HP will last 28 minutes, though I will just reapply them every 25 or so.

Holy Aura will last 28 rounds, though I will reapply it every 20 or so rounds.

Remove Fear will last 10 minutes, but I will reapply it every 9 minutes or so.
    Last edited by candycorn; 2012-12-24 at 01:15 AM.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

Eyes, sprouted from nothing, move. Some into the small brick room, and the others into the hallway. While the ones that move into their cramped space seem unoccupied, there is a string of sounds, like flesh hitting metal, several times over, as the eyes move into the metal room. A rolling sound is heard, and it doesn't stop.

After a few minutes of concentration, Castiel's spells are completed.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Toryn

"Most people choose to go left when presented with a choice, all other things being equal. I don't think that will help us much here as the distance and directions seem to be changed by the keep itself, in addition to the forced teleportation." Toryn says to Castiel, then nods towards the water fountains on the walls. "Do you sense any magic within those pools? I'd say it's unnatural for still water to be clear and free of scum or pollutants...but again, this keep appears to operate by it's own rules."

Toryn walks over to the wall of water in the third doorway. "Do you have an enchantment to let us breathe water? It seems we'll need one if we're to investigate this route." Toryn reaches into a pouch and takes out a few pellets of bird seed. The hawk and raven look excited for a treat but Toryn tosses the pellets into the wall of water and steps back to observe the reaction.

Spoiler
    Show
    Stat Block
    Spoiler
    Show

HP 370/370
    AC 39 (44 vs ranged)
    Fort/Ref/Will +30/+29/+33 (+6 all)

Command Undead: 0/13 used
    Smite Good: 0/4 used

Relevant Effects/Powers:
    Gwaeron's Boots: Pass Without Trace, produce no smell, can't be detected by scent ability.
    Bane of Enemies/Unholy Strike: Weapon counts as Unholy and Bane: Evil Outsider, Undead, Elemental, Good Outsider, Dragons.
    Detect Good at-will: Scans each creature he talks to.
    Gauntlets of Weaponry Arcane: Weapon counts as silver for bypassing DR.
    Dragon's Eye Amulet: Blindsense 30ft.
    Ring of Spell-Battle: Aware of all spellcasting within 60ft.
    Divine Defiance: Counterspell as immediate action.

Stance Active: Assassin's Stance
    Maneuvers Readied: One With Shadow, Cloak of Deception, Shadow Blink, Stone Dragon's Fury, Mountain Tombstone, Five-Shadow, Enervating Shadow

Spells from Castiel: Energy Immunity (Sonic, Electricity, Fire), Superior Resistance (+6 saves)
    Last edited by Chambers; 2012-12-30 at 10:36 AM.
    "We have sent many to Hell, to smooth our way," said I, "and we are standing yet and holding blades. What more?"- Roger Zelazny, This Immortal
    Avatar Image: The Great Wave off Kanagawa by Hokusai; bitmap version by me.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Castiel's gaze, upon the hallway with the noise, doesn't waver as he states simply, "The water is benign. I can enable us to breathe water, and will do so if that is the path that we choose to take. I am disinclined to choose a path that requires us work merely to survive, however; however, I would not presume to make that choice for us all."

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

Elodin

Even as Elodin extends a hand to receive Castiel's offered ring, his attention remains focused along the corridor of metal. Puzzled by the apparent disappearance of all fifteen of his sentries in so short a distance, he waves one hand over the other, conjuring a tiny cloud of reddish dust that begins to swirl above his empty palm. Rapidly coalescing the dust into a crude sphere, he gestures down the hallway, propelling the ball of chalky clay towards the door at the opposite end along the same path taken by his prying eyes.

Spoiler
    Show
    Elodin will cast Prestidigitation to create a ball of clay. He will expend one of his 5th level reserved spell slots to cast Telekinesis to propel the ball down the hallway.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Troll in the Playground

The few seeds make contact with the water, and in almost the same instant, are surrounded by a visible bubble of air. It floats farther away on the same momentum, until its no longer visible.

Elodin's clay ball shoots forward, and it hits a door some eighty feet away.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Troll in the Playground

Mystez shakes his head. "And sometimes, one must move ahead."

The incorporeal man glows for a moment before moving forward silent as the grave, into the hallway with of metal. Embody floats behind him quietly.

Spoiler
    Show

Mystez is tired of waiting. Activating Extended Power Resistance, for a 36 PR for the next 48 minutes, 11 PP. Activating Extended Ubiquitous Vision for 7 PP, giving me all around vision and +4 spot/search for 9 hours. Taking the actions to regain focus afterwards.

Then moving foward, taking 10 on searches, for a grand total of 54.

PP Left: 442
    Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, drunkeness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.

Don't be stupid.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Troll in the Playground

Mystez' mental power snaps into play, and with the temporary protection, floats into the metal hallway.

Mystez
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spot check reveals nothing.

The rolling sound is louder now.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Troll in the Playground

"I've played this game before." Mystez shakes his head with a quiet chuckle. Just as his body is multi-planar, so to do Mystez's eyes extend that way as well.

Spoiler
    Show

Activating Psionic True seeing for 24 minutes for 9 PP. What does the invisible/other planar boulder look like/is made of?

Don't be stupid.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Troll in the Playground

Mystez
    Spoiler
    Show
    The walls and ceiling to the hallway disappear, and you look now at the real room you're in. The walls and ceiling, now revealed, are curved and spin, making the room one large drum of metal. There are many blood stains, some fresh, on them.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Troll in the Playground

"Color me impressed, I had expected the invisible adamantium boulder, not an entire room's worth of death."

Mystez turns and floats back into the room with the others, describing what he saw. "Unless you wish to force your way through a spinning wheel of metal death, perhaps another door?"

Don't be stupid.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

Elodin

Elodin's expression tenses, his eyes narrowing slightly as he listens to Mystez's description. Resistant as he is to even the prospect of passing through the door of water, he invokes a pair of powerful sight magics before drifting to the edge of the metal hallway to asses the situation for himself.

Spoiler
    Show
    Elodin will cast Greater Arcane Sight (27 minute duration) and expend a 6th level reserved spell slot for True Seeing (extended via his normal metamagic rod for a duration of 50 minutes).
    Last edited by rypt; 2013-01-08 at 02:27 AM.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Castiel's ponders the description of the room momentarily, before entering it himself, hovering slowly forward to look.

Relevant abilities:
    Spoiler
    Show

Defensive:
    Spoiler
    Show

SR 30
    Magic Circle Against Evil (CL 24)
    Lesser Globe of Invulnerability (CL 24)
    Immunity to Fire, Cold, Acid, Electricity, Sonic
    Holy Aura
    13 Temp HP

Detection:
    Spoiler
    Show

True Seeing
    See Invisibility (allows vision into the ethereal plane)

Spot: (1d20+42)[48]
    Listen: (1d20+47)[60]

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Looking to see if my senses reveal anything different before and after I enter the room.
    Last edited by candycorn; 2013-01-09 at 02:02 PM.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Troll in the Playground

Elodin
    Spoiler
    Show
    The walls and ceiling to the hallway disappear, and you look now at the real room you're in. The walls and ceiling, now revealed, are curved and spin, making the room one large drum of metal. There are many blood stains, some fresh, on them.

Your eyes, now sensitive to the magic of the worlds, you can tell the walls were made using Illusory Wall

Castiel
    Spoiler
    Show