New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 50 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161732 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Madness, Blood and Thunder in Ravens Bluff IC

The lopsided negotiation concluded, you are led to some luxurious quarters to rest for a while, and the glamor almost makes you forget this is just another prison for now.
    The trap is planned for shortly before dusk, that odd time after the bustling activity of honest working folk slowly dies down, but before the nightlife begins. As you step outside Ambrath's, for lack of a better word, palace, you become acutely aware that this is the first time you're really setting foot inside Ravens Bluff, and deep in your bones you have the unshakeable feeling that this now is the beginning of something new.

END OF PROLOGUE

Spoiler
    Show
    we make a short pause here. You reached level 4 while resting
    Last edited by TheFallenOne; 2012-02-19 at 05:23 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff the Green View Post
    Actually, when you first put up the post where the gazebo started trying to eat us, I assumed you were pulling our legs and you'd put up the real post soon enough.

2. - Top - End - #182
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    I'm assuming now you go along with the plans of Ambrath for now. With the Prologue concluded, let me be clear you are free to act as you think prudent. Work for Ambrath, betray him to Blacktree, or just make a run for it and try to stay out of their squabbe, or whatever else you think of

Appearantly the surprisingly strong and sudden storm kept the ships of the upper Dragon Reach still weary even hours after it passed, because even though you're new in the city you know there would normally be a lot more activity this close to the harbor. Beregor said he'd 'keep an eye on you' and signal Ambrath's household guard who are keeping a certain distance to you. All you'd have to do, it was assured to you, was keeping Lord Blacktree's allies occupied for some time and if necessary help with the capture.
    You are walking a wide street, two- or three-floor buildings on both sides. The ground floor is always made of stone, though the top one is wood as often as not. Observant eyes might notice the often apparent age difference in lower and upper floors; Ravens Bluff is prospering and with no room to expand sideways inside the walls, the industrious folk instead build upward.
    After a while, you see a man coming your way obviously reacting to spotting you. Judging from his fiery robes, he must be an arkanist of sorts and his eyes and facial features betray a hint of draconic blood. He stands still in the middle of the road some fifty feet away, adressing you. "Hello there, I'm here to deliver a message. Jorran Tolm, you are asked to follow me, for the conversation with an acquaintance in Luskan wasn't finished. There are still answers to give from both sides." From the way he talks he seems slightly unsure of himself, though not necessarily nervous; it just looks like he has no idea who you are or what exactly the message is supposed to mean.
    Last edited by TheFallenOne; 2012-09-18 at 12:56 PM.
    Actually, when you first put up the post where the gazebo started trying to eat us, I assumed you were pulling our legs and you'd put up the real post soon enough.

3. - Top - End - #183
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Magnus lets out an almost visible sigh of relief, as he thinks to himself... Whew. At least I won't have to prattle with this addlebrained minion Blacktree chose to send here. That said, Jorran didn't exactly look like a man gifted with a silver tongue. I wonder if someone could just pretend to be Jorran. This fool doesn't seem to know who he's looking for, beyond a name. I wouldn't dream of it, especially since this Jorran didn't seem pleased at this business with Ambrath. I'd wager he's rather touchy about who speaks for him. Still, if this comes to blows, I haven't seen him turn down aid of a more physical nature. I best be ready to step in, if needed.
    All of this has happened before...
    and all of this will happen again.

Moving. Internet access is a bit spotty.

4. - Top - End - #184
    Titan in the Playground

Trancing was usually a relaxing experience. Filing away the day's memories, sifting through a century's worth of old ones, reliving any that felt particularly relevant or appealing. But today, wherever she went, Aya couldn't shake the feeling someone was following her. Little flashes of purple or silver at the edge of her remembered vision, additions that fit the scene but certainly hadn't been there at the time. All the same, they seemed to make perfect sense, as though they had always been present and she simply never noticed. Returning to her favourite triumph, she catches a flare of power from the arrows that ensured a dragon's demise; even in her oldest memories, she can see faint grey threads running through the forest floor as the blood sinks into the hungry loam. And always, someone behind her, just out of sight and taunting her with its presence. Throwing away her hesitation, she dives through memories as fast as she can, surrendering to the strangeness and seeking only to experience as much of it as she can.

When she returns to the present world, the late afternoon sun catches on silver threads that glimmer with a promise of power, and she feels a connection to the goddess that before was but a vague understanding. Staring at the symbol, she smiles in comprehension, and asks her first blessings of Mystra.

~*~

On their way to the assigned place, Aya whispers a prayer, and grins in satisfaction as the world comes into even sharper focus than usual. The whorls of the knots in wooden buildings, the texture of the canvas sails in harbour, the eddies in the air as breezes blow at cross-purposes, even the hint of fire in the contact's eyes; the whole world was simply more... pleasant this way.

Still, Jorran? I was right not to discount the unexpected... glad it's not me, at least. Tilting her head curiously, she allows her hood to fall back slightly, giving her a better angle to scan the surroundings for Ambrath's copperskins. "Friend of yours, Jorran?"
    Wriggle avatar by memnarch.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

5. - Top - End - #185
    Titan in the Playground

Between the ever-expanding stacks of books to be categorized, ancient codices that fare worse in sunlight than vampires, and a somewhat stunted social life, librarians are used to keeping strange hours. This is doubly true for librarians who moonlight as zombie hunters. Thus, Mirielle fell asleep quickly, even as the sun began to rise. She arose in the early afternoon and, donning her cassock over her chain shirt, stepped out for a short while. Kelemvor had seen fit to bless her with additional powers this day, and it seemed right to buy what she needed to take advantage of them.

@All:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Going to buy that wand of lesser vigor we'd talked about; it's 150 GP per person. Also the focus and material components for augury.

I shouldn't be out in the open like this. Not that I'm the best sneak-thief in the world, but I should still be trying to be less conspicuous.

Mirielle sighs. She walks the street, pretending to be completely lost in her own thoughts. She's had a lot of practice at it. Eventually she stops pretending, and is startled when the gaudily dressed dragonchild appears.
    Author of The Auspician's Handbook and The Tempestarian's Handbook for Spheres of Power.
    Ask me (or the other authors) anything.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lateral View Post
    Well, of course I'm paranoid about everything. Hell, with Jeff as DM, I'd be paranoid even if we were playing a game set in The Magic Kiddie Funland of Perfectly Flat Planes and Sugar Plums.
    Greenman by Bradakhan/Spring Greenman by Comissar/Autumn Greenman by Sgt. Pepper/Winter Greenman by gurgleflep

6. - Top - End - #186
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

"I wouldn't use the word 'friend'." Jorran states in response to Aya's question. He knew only one person who this "acquaintance" might be. Did the priestess have contacts with Lord Blacktree? It would have explained her presence in Harrowdale, though it was rather surprising that the priestess knew or cared that Jorran was here. Of course, that was assuming it was her in the first place, though no other possibility rose to Jorran's mind.

He had expected to have to actively hunt her down, so this was a step in a positive direction, but that didn't mean Jorran wasn't wary. Silver linings rarely came without a cloud. Lets just follow. Jorran muttered.
    Last edited by Frog Dragon; 2012-02-21 at 10:00 AM.
    Frog in the playground.

My homebrewer's extended signature.

I have Str 5!

Quote Originally Posted by BobVosh View Post
    Wall of text attacks! CRITS!

7. - Top - End - #187
    Titan in the Playground

The man nods, looking somewhat relieved. "Follow me then. I was told to hurry." He turns back the way he came, glancing back to make sure you followed before quickening his pace, and for a moment his eyes seem to linger on the sky, searching.

Spoiler
    Show
    OK, Jorran seems to want to follow, though no idea how the others react to this turnaround, so only a short update

Aya
    Spoiler
    Show
    following his gaze, you notice an unusually large raven above that seems to be what the man was looking for
    Last edited by TheFallenOne; 2012-02-21 at 10:22 AM.

8. - Top - End - #188
    Titan in the Playground

Mirielle ***** one eyebrow at the Aya, Keeva, and Magnus before taking a deep breath and stepping forward to follow Jorran. This time she tries a bit harder not to get lost in thought.
    Author of The Auspician's Handbook and The Tempestarian's Handbook for Spheres of Power.
    Well, of course I'm paranoid about everything. Hell, with Jeff as DM, I'd be paranoid even if we were playing a game set in The Magic Kiddie Funland of Perfectly Flat Planes and Sugar Plums.
    Greenman by Bradakhan/Spring Greenman by Comissar/Autumn Greenman by Sgt. Pepper/Winter Greenman by gurgleflep

9. - Top - End - #189
    Titan in the Playground

"Heh. Well, why not?" Following along behind Jorran, Aya pays more attention to the surroundings than the wizard, although she tries not to let it show too much. Better make your move soon, copperskins. Or whatever you're wearing; I suppose you oughtn't be in uniform for this. Either way, I've got other things to worry about.

Fallen:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Mostly, Aya's just keeping an eye on that bird. She doesn't like the idea of being followed back to Ambrath's place.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

10. - Top - End - #190
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Magnus shrugs, and says, quietly, "I'd have thought we'd tarry here a bit, given the rough handling we received from our recent stormy journey. I guess one place is as good as another to tarry, though." With that, Magnus sets off down the road with Jorran, shield readied, and scanning the buildings for any threat.

Mechanics:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spot: (1d20-3)[17]

11. - Top - End - #191
    Titan in the Playground

The man hustles off and you follow; he leads you through big and small streets with many twists and turns on the way and you are thouroughly lost, but your guide seems to know exactly where to go without hesitation. After a while, the activity around you gets rapidly higher and finally you end up in a wide street bustling with people when he slows down, panting. Appearantly that is enough. Whoever is following you, it seems they can't make a move when many people are around, so we are save for now. One of my..." He hesitates a moment, searching for the right word Employers will pick us up soon. Perhaps you have an idea who they are? Black armor, grey cloaks, play kinda rough. Wish I knew what I've gotten myself into. Oh, name's Vandroy by the way. Need something lit up or a bit more fire in your life, I'm your guy."

Spoiler
    Show
    none of you know who he's talking about

and geez, that's the second big encounter you bypassed. My other group hesitated and ended up in a streetfight, Ambrath's guards on one end, Blacktree's on the other and the PCs in he middle.

Jorran, Mirielle, Aya
    Spoiler
    Show
    each of you noticed he had the eye on the sky when running, following a big raven leading the way

12. - Top - End - #192
    Titan in the Playground

Oh, nice job, copperskins. Wait so long you screw up your end of the deal. Bet you'll try and blame it on us, too.

"Bird-eyed, are you? They must have been staying well out of sight if I didn't notice them. I suppose a city of this size has no shortage of footpads, though." Stretching lazily, Aya gives a brief glare back the way they came. Well, maybe I can still find a way to complete the deal, but it's not looking likely at this point.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

13. - Top - End - #193
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Magnus glances at Aya, and back at the alley, after hearing the Mage's diatribe, and ponders for a moment. Great. Well, at least he gave me the vulnerability. People... People... How to clear out the people? Embrath may be a fool's fool, but I don't intend to back outta my deal, on account of a spokesman with a change of heart.

Magnus looks again at Aya, making sure that his gaze is met, before looking at the crowd, then back at her, then the crowd, then back... and then tilts his head to the side, quizzically.
    Last edited by candycorn; 2012-02-21 at 08:09 PM.

14. - Top - End - #194
    Titan in the Playground

Mirille looks at the dragonchild and then back at her companions. She catches the meaningful look Magnus tosses at Aya. I think we can salvage this.

"Well, then," Mirielle says. "Looks like all we can do is wait." She puts curious emphasis on wait. "Maybe his employer can shed a little light on what Ambrath wanted."

She turns back to Vandroy. "You sounded hesitant calling them your employers, neighbor," she says amicably. "Are they paying you in a, shall we say, non-standard currency?"
    Last edited by Jeff the Green; 2012-02-21 at 11:00 PM.

15. - Top - End - #195
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Sallera View Post
    Oh, nice job, copperskins. Wait so long you screw up your end of the deal. Bet you'll try and blame it on us, too.
    in case it wasn't clear, your job was to delay until Ambrath's men get in position. As it was you got out at speed immediately after contact and had a scouting advantage to boot. The copperskins never had a chance

"Yes yes wait, but keep moving, just a little more slowly." He walks down the street, and with many people and occasional horsecart around you need to stick close to each other. After Mirielle's question he hesitates a moment, grimacing and touching his jaw where a half-faded mark from a nasty impact is. "Well, it's a... kind of embarassing tale. Just arrived here today, you see, and wanted to make a little starting money with card tricks. Went to a seedy tavern called Rat's Nest and bet someone I could predict any card he turns over. So I just said 'Ace of Hearts' and when he turned the card over I used a little illusion to superimpose the ace on top of it." He pauses a moment, ovbiously expecting you to be impressed by this trick. "Would have worked like a charm if I had taken a look at the deck beforehand. As it was, the ace looked wrong and they noticed. Huge uproar, appearantly the people of this city have quite strict views on how to deal with tricksters.
    Anyway, this guy, black armor, grey cloak, stands up and winks at me. I wink back and then he knocks me senseless with a single punch, telling the others he'll handle this and they saw nothing. Brings me to an abandoned warehouse with more of his ilk and they ask me some questions - in a Zone of Truth no less. Tell me I owe them my life - which I guess is true - and in return expect me to deliver a message and shake off some pursuers."
    He is silent for a moment as two watch officers walk by. "No idea who these guys are, but I have a gut feeling they might be a sucessor of the Four Ravens - you know, that former Thieves Guild? Been looking for a sign of them since I arrived here."
    Last edited by TheFallenOne; 2012-02-22 at 07:24 AM.

16. - Top - End - #196
    Titan in the Playground

An idea strikes Mirielle. "Why were you trying to find out about them?" she asks Vandroy. "In my experience, people who investigate such things tend to end up in my brethren's hands awaiting burial."

17. - Top - End - #197
    Titan in the Playground

"Hey, I'm not saying I advocate stealing people's purses, I'd just like, you know, to meet some people who stick it to those posh nobles and merchants. Those guys are all rules - well, rules for anybody but them - and business, but no fun. So messing with them is dangerous, granted, but better than just wiling away in monotony."

18. - Top - End - #198
    Titan in the Playground

Mirielle pretends to be greatly impressed by Vandroy's escapades. Her feigned expression of interest is a little rusty, but it gets the job done.

"I hate to tell you this, Vandroy, but you're working for one of those 'posh nobles.'" Mirielle says. "Lord Blacktree has some interest in Jorran here; we were sent to find out what it is. Would you be interested in ruining a nobleman's day?"

19. - Top - End - #199
    Titan in the Playground

Aya shakes her head slightly in response to Magnus's look. Nothing I can do about that. Still... turning the messenger, Mirielle? Clever gamble, and if you pull it off, I'll be quite impressed.

Gazing at the raven, she tries to figure out where it's watching by the glint in its eyes. Copperskins ought to still be following us. Might have to slip away for a bit and find a greycloak, depending on how this goes, but that bird's a problem. Hard to bring it down without being obvious about it.

Spoiler
    Show
    Ah... it wasn't, actually, although I can see it looking back. Your turnaround comment makes much more sense now. Guess we'll just say the misunderstanding was IC as well as OOC.

Spot: (1d20+16)[17]
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

20. - Top - End - #200
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

"Though I'd rather see this acquaintance from Luskan." Jorran pipes in. "If this is who I think it is, I don't want to throw a chance like this away." He states. "I don't give one whit about Lord Blacktree, but I want to know what he and his contact are after." He pauses, mostly for effect. "Especially his contact. After that though..."
    Last edited by Frog Dragon; 2012-02-22 at 03:29 PM.
    Frog in the playground.

I have Str 5!

21. - Top - End - #201
    Titan in the Playground

Aya
    Spoiler
    Show
    sadly there are a multitude of ravens about, and your spot isn't enough to pick out the one from before

At Mirielle's words Vandroy pauses, perplexed. "Those guys work for a noble? Well, I certainly didn't expect that." His surprise, and maybe disappointment, seem quite genuine. It takes a moment for him to continue. "Well, I know who this Ambrath fellow is, so switching sides is certainly no improvement. I'm not in this because I want to and if I could still quietly slip away I would. But those greycloaks know who I am, and who you are incidentally, so I do this one job for them.

About a minute later, a scarred black-bearded man steps into view from behind a horsecart, greycloaked and clad in black armor. He musters you all for a moment, then nods. "Well done Vandroy. Jorran, please follow me, that building over there", he motions to the other end of the street "has been cleared out for a private meeting. As for the rest of you, if you want a little payback against Ambrath you may come as well." Though as he says this the look he is giving you does show a certain waryness.

22. - Top - End - #202
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Magnus pauses, taking in the new fellow. "I'm all for payback, but let's discuss payMENT. Embrath has offered us all quite a tidy sum to bring you to him. What can you offer, hm?"

Turning to Vandroy, Magnus states, "Also note that each of us here know who you are. A mage of little regard, not opposed to back alley swindling."

23. - Top - End - #203
    Titan in the Playground

"He's called Ambrath, kid. We can pay, but you should know fully well we can't outbid a man like him. So if money's all you care for, scurry off to your corrupt master. You prefer employment where you're not stabbed in the back when it's financially advisable, come with me."

Vandroy just shrugs in a 'eh, whatever' way.

24. - Top - End - #204
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

"Only when politically advisable, then? Good, I always like to know where I stand." At this Magnus looks at Aya, then the rest. "How about it? Will we hear both sides of this tale before we decide? It's not as if we really owe anything to our employer. He practically kidnapped us, and then promised to hold us captive if we didn't accept his little plan."

25. - Top - End - #205
    Titan in the Playground

Everyone involved in this matter knows far too much for my liking. Should have just kicked that mage in the shins and waited for the copperskins to get the whole thing over with, but he'd have been useless to them. I hope you know what you're doing, Magnus; I'm not really in the habit of playing mercenary.

Outwardly, Aya just shrugs as she catches Magnus's eye. "I don't care about greycloaks or copperskins, to be honest. We're already here, we may as well listen."
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

26. - Top - End - #206
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Magnus just looks back and shrugs. It's a bad situation, but either we try to turn back the clock, try to force this battleground into what Ambrath spent time and money creating, or we accept the ire of one man, and at least not be despised by the other. At this point, trying and failing would sign us over as enemies by one, and incompetents by the other. Not exactly words I want describing me. Besides, if we hear Blacktree out, and don't like it, we can salvage this situation with information for Ambrath... Maybe. At least it would be a damn sight better than returning emptyhanded.

27. - Top - End - #207
    Titan in the Playground

Great. First held prisoner by a figurative thief, now invited to join literal thieves. This gets better and better. Well. This is probably beyond salvaging for Ambrath.

"I'm not usually one to go back on my word," Mirielle says to no one in particular. "But under the circumstances, I'm more than willing to hear out our black-armored friends here."

28. - Top - End - #208
    Titan in the Playground

You are led to a rather ramshackle tavern identified by its sign as the 'Sleepy Dwarf', and you now know you're in the Swordspoint disctrict from remembering the sailor's tales of which inns and taverns are worth a visit and which aren't. Incidentally, this one isn't, horrible drinks and worse clientele.
    A paper on the door says 'closed for private event' and once you enter it indeed proves cleared out and the only people inside are half a dozen greycloaks plus what must be Lord Blacktree judging from his military uniform.

The door quickly closes behind you, and you can't fail to notice the rather hostile looks directed at Jorran. "So we meet at last", Blacktree says, rising from the simple wooden chair he was sitting on. "I don't know what happened between you and Talisa, but for some reason she made me promise not to hurt you. Help your on your path even if I can, whatever that means. I assure you seeing your face does not enticit any friendly emotion in me, but I won't break an oath I made, least of all to her.
    So now tell me",
    he finished, stepping closer. "Who made you kidnap my godson?"

"As for the rest of you, I heard you had some inconveniences because Embro's spies were efficient, but not quite efficient enough. I apologize for that. If you're looking for employment, we can always use upstanding and competent allies. I won't make you choose between me and Ambrath; if you don't want to get into the middle of this - and that might be the wise choice - walk away, no one will stop you. I'll even let Ambrath know I got what I wanted and you are of no further use to me so you become a low priority for him.
    But if you choose to side with Ambrath, we will be enemies. As with any other corrupt, scheming bastard, be they noble, merchant or just a common criminal. This city is on the edge, and too many are pushing it to chaos and disaster for selfish gains."

29. - Top - End - #209
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

So that's what Blacktree wanted him for. In hindsight, maybe he should've just helped set up the ambush like Ambrath had ordered. But it was too late for that now, and he knew that he had to play his cards right. Blacktree seemingly didn't intend to hurt him, but he probably would have if not for this oath.

"Luskanite pirates." Jorran starts. His tone was grim, but he didn't try to force any remorse into his tone. Such might only insult the lord further. "I do not remember their names, only that they plotted to kill her. His kidnapping was a means to that end. I doubt their petty crew is even alive at this point. She would never have survived to face me had they not been taken out of the way somehow. For a year I thought I was the only one who survived that incident." He finishes. His recollection was spotty at best, and he could scarcely remember anything about his encounter with her. Neither could he well remember those who had hired him. Hopefully Blacktree would not question him much further.
    Frog in the playground.

I have Str 5!

30. - Top - End - #210
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Magnus stops to take in the accusation, and then Jorran not denying it. Ain't touching this one until he's well and truly done with this. He promised to spare Jorran; didn't say jack about me, and frankly, I've seen men do unpleasant things to bystanders who open their mouth at bad times with inopportune words.

Still, is EVERYONE here but me fond of kidnapping? Well, Blacktree seems of a decent enough sort, at least. The issue he wants Jorran for seems to be of little import to others, mostly family related, and not even blood at that. Also seems fairly old. The godson's probably alive, else Blacktree would have likely implicated Jorran in his death, so I suppose that could be a string to pull him by... Still, Embro is, at best, a rich thug. Not even subtle. This guy may not be subtle, or effective, but he seems honest, and at least he's talking the talk. I've only really got a couple questions, but I think I could work with this guy.

Magnus stands where he is, motionless, but clearly uncomfortable (by the expression on his face), and observes the discussion.
    Last edited by candycorn; 2012-02-24 at 12:37 AM.