New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 18 of 50 FirstFirst ... 891011121314151617181920212223242526272843 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #511
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Default Re: Madness, Blood and Thunder in Ravens Bluff IC

Magnus provides the final blow to the hobgoblin, saying as he does, "Your death was your own doing. You have threatened the lives and the livelihood of others, and taken up arms against those who would stop your crimes. In doing so, you have condemned yourself to the fate you attempted to deal the villagers below this day."

After, he wipes the blood from his hammer, and says, "I am ready to proceed."
    All of this has happened before...
    and all of this will happen again.

Moving. Internet access is a bit spotty.

2. - Top - End - #512
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Jorran finally caught his breath. The wand had healed most of his wounds, but some damage remained. He tested his side, and though the wound was closed, it ached. "I can keep fighting but the sting of their weapons isn't gone yet."

Spoiler
    Show
    Spend 2 full round actions to recover the maneuvers I expended. Jorran currently has 33 hp after the Lesser Vigor, which is 13 down from his max.
    Last edited by Frog Dragon; 2012-05-06 at 07:37 AM.
    Frog in the playground.

My homebrewer's extended signature.

I have Str 5!

Quote Originally Posted by BobVosh View Post
    Wall of text attacks! CRITS!

3. - Top - End - #513
    Titan in the Playground

Mirielle sets her jaw at Magnus's murder, but finishes healing Jorran.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Alright, I spent another charge for another 11 HP healed.
    Last edited by Jeff the Green; 2012-05-06 at 09:16 AM.
    Author of The Auspician's Handbook and The Tempestarian's Handbook for Spheres of Power.
    Ask me (or the other authors) anything.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lateral View Post
    Well, of course I'm paranoid about everything. Hell, with Jeff as DM, I'd be paranoid even if we were playing a game set in The Magic Kiddie Funland of Perfectly Flat Planes and Sugar Plums.
    Greenman by Bradakhan/Spring Greenman by Comissar/Autumn Greenman by Sgt. Pepper/Winter Greenman by gurgleflep

4. - Top - End - #514
    Titan in the Playground

Taking a minute to refill her quivers with some of her more exotic arrows, Aya reaches the others after they finish up. "Not bad work. I killed seven or so on the barricade, but the way they kept sending them out to fight an enemy they couldn't even see says there are a lot more than that in there. We've got about a minute before the binding drops, so let's get in position quickly."

Checking to ensure the goblins are still out of sight, Aya moves a bit closer into range and fires a pair of arrows, embedding one in each half of the barricade, and they erupt into alchemical flame, igniting the wood. "No need to give them an extra line of defense, either, now that they're not around to put those out before they get too big."

Spoiler
    Show
    One dragonsbreath arrow into each side of the barricade. Can only miss on a nat 1; will roll OOC.
    Wriggle avatar by memnarch.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

5. - Top - End - #515
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Magnus looks at the others, noting Mirielle's disapproval, shrugs, and says, "If you wish the barricade destroyed, then we can, but I think it would be faster to just go in. To be clear: Any that surrender can be imprisoned, rendered unconscious, and taken back to Ravens Bluff or the hamlets below for justice. Any that do not will be treated as hostile forces, intent on both extortion and murder. Such creatures will not be allowed to go free, and I do not intend to leave the smallest chance that they can. Does anyone dispute this plan?"

6. - Top - End - #516
    Titan in the Playground

"Faster, perhaps, but an unnecessary risk. Besides, if they have any patrols left, I'd rather they chance upon the light of the fire so we can face them in the open without interference from within, rather than have them hit us from behind while we clear out the fortifications."

Aya indicates a point on the slope outside the light of both the sunrod and the flames. "Let's wait there out of the light until it's done burning. If no one else shows up, at least we can be reasonably sure we're facing all we're likely to."
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

7. - Top - End - #517
    Titan in the Playground

"There is absolutely no need to murder helpless prisoners," Mirielle says through clenched jaw. "If they are trying to attack us, fine. If they're barely conscious and have manacles on, we can drag them back to Ravens Bluff as easily as if they'd surrendered."
    Last edited by Jeff the Green; 2012-05-06 at 10:07 PM.
    Author of The Auspician's Handbook and The Tempestarian's Handbook for Spheres of Power.
    Well, of course I'm paranoid about everything. Hell, with Jeff as DM, I'd be paranoid even if we were playing a game set in The Magic Kiddie Funland of Perfectly Flat Planes and Sugar Plums.
    Greenman by Bradakhan/Spring Greenman by Comissar/Autumn Greenman by Sgt. Pepper/Winter Greenman by gurgleflep

8. - Top - End - #518
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Magnus frowns at Mirielle, and retorts, "And if those on the boat hadn't felt the need to take us as 'helpless prisoners', they would have all survived to see Ravens Bluff. Helpless prisoners wake up, and manacles can be broken. There may be no need to kill him, but there is risk in leaving him alive, and I will not save the life of a hobgoblin that would slaughter a village at the risk of my own, or yours.

"Leaving prisoners alive is a risk. If there is a benefit to it, then fine. If not, then that hobgoblin there attempted to flood an entire village, before your very eyes. None here can dispute his guilt, and it was only through our actions that he failed. If you wish to weep over his well-deserved fate, we have several minutes while we wait for this barricade to burn. I assure you, your tears will be the only ones on the ground today. I would consider more mercy to those inside, but that hobgoblin there? I watched him attempt to commit mass-murder. He may seek mercy in the afterlife, helpless or no. He will find none from me.
    "

After this he turns to Aya, replying, "Wise. As long as we're in the light, any patrols will likely wait for us to be engaged in the cave before assaulting us from behind. By staying out of the way, we encourage them to aid their brethren."
    Last edited by candycorn; 2012-05-07 at 12:27 AM.

9. - Top - End - #519
    Titan in the Playground

Mirielle chokes back a rebuttal—she caught at least two logical fallacies in Magnus's argument—and reminds herself that no one was ever brought to the side of the angels by heated arguments.

Instead, she turns to Aya. "Are you out of arrows?" she asks. "I have shapesand that I could use to produce some."

10. - Top - End - #520
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Redacted due to errors.
    Last edited by Cardea; 2012-05-07 at 03:05 PM.
    Just finding my roots again.

11. - Top - End - #521
    Titan in the Playground

"Out of standard arrows, yeah. Plenty of odd ones left that I keep for special occasions, but in a close-quarters fight, I don't mind trusting your crafting skills." With a short-lived grin reminiscent of her usual cheerful self, Aya spreads her cloak flat and sits back against the hillside, sipping from a flask of tea as she watches the surrounding landscape, deliberately keeping her gaze away from the fire to avoid blinding herself.

"Thing is, while these goblins may be involved in some rather shady business, we never entered into a formal agreement to remove them. Right now, this is just a personal dispute between us and an enterprising clan of engineers. If we start taking prisoners, we have to deliver those prisoners to someone, which basically has two outcomes. Either they agree with our position, and the prisoners are executed anyway, or they think we were in the wrong, and we get noticed by people we don't necessarily want noticing us."

"When we're working outside regulated areas, it's easier to just do a thorough job, take our pay, and make no claim of having ever been here... right?"
    Dipping the flask into her pocket to refill it, Aya offers it to Mirielle.
    Last edited by Sallera; 2012-05-07 at 04:38 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

12. - Top - End - #522
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Magnus ponders that thought for a moment... "Well, if we consider the nearest town to be a legitimate authority, we could always just turn over prisoners to the hamlets that they are extorting. I'm relatively sure they wouldn't think we were in the wrong, though I'd wager that a swift death here may be more merciful than what an angry mob of townsfolk would do to them. In any case, I'd like to get a couple of the ones leading this goblin enclave, just to see if they're acting on any orders from someone in Ravens Bluff. Doesn't mean they're in the right, but it does provide us with a bit more knowledge about the people we may encounter in the city. Still, the time for interrogating is after the threat has been subdued, rather than before."

13. - Top - End - #523
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

"Of course, if anyone did care about what we did here, it wouldn't really be a chore to figure out." Jorran said, cleaning his sword with a piece of cloth ripped off a dead bugbear. "I don't see why we're thinking about this now." He said, tossing the piece of cloth away. "In any case, the hamlets will approve. I doubt anyone else cares unless those goblins are under someone's orders.
    Frog in the playground.

I have Str 5!

14. - Top - End - #524
    Troll in the Playground

Keeva

Sidestepping the moral debate, Keeva moves from group member to group member, glancing from her notebook, to odd pieces of gear, to her finished results. With each string of words, a different kind of magic is put on their gear, bolstering them. On herself, she grasps her crossbow, and begins to 'dump' crossbow bolts onto it, with them vanishing from sight upon impact. She stops at Jorran, unsure of what to do. She looks at his gear in confusion, pointing from greatsword to greatsword to armor, mouthing: "Which one?"

Spoiler
    Show
    Aya: Weapon Augmentation, Lesser. Seeking. Forty minute duration.
    Mirielle: Armor Enhancement, Lesser. Blur property, on her shield. Forty minute duration.
    Magnus: Resistance Item. +2 bonus to saves, on his shirt. Forty minute duration.
    Myself: Weapon Augmentation, Personal. Quick-loading on my Crossbow. Forty minute duration.

This takes up five minutes overall, plus another minute for whatever I do for Jorran.

This puts me at... 2/4 First Level infusions, and 2/3 Second Level infusions.

15. - Top - End - #525
    Titan in the Playground

Using one of Aya's more exotic arrows as a model, Mirielle sits down with a pile of sand and starts assembling arrows. It's a tedious process, one by one, but it gets her mind off of her companions' brutality. Brutality has its place, she thinks, Cybrarvain, for instance. But I'm not convinced it's here.

16. - Top - End - #526
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

"I say this now, Jorran, so we all know not to seperate the head from the shoulders of every blue skin in there, unless highly impractical to save them. Let's try to knock a couple out, if it can be accomplished without too much risk, and we can likely do the same to any that surrender. Bringing that point up after the fight would make the request a bit... late to be helpful."

17. - Top - End - #527
    Titan in the Playground

As the embers of the barricade begin to flicker out with no sign of any further patrols approaching, Aya stretches lightly and draws her bow. "Well then. Looks like we're alone out here after all; shall we avail ourselves of the goblins' hospitality? Magnus, care to announce us?"
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

18. - Top - End - #528
    Troll in the Playground

Keeva

With a shrug, Keeva starts pouring magic into the weapon Jorran was wiping off. Once she finishes, she holds her crossbow in the nook of her arm, and turns to Magnus. "Ready when you are."

Spoiler
    Show
    Magic Weapon on Jorran's Greatsword. +1 Enhancement. Standard Action.

This leaves me at 3/4 First Level infusions, and 2/3 Second Level infusions.

19. - Top - End - #529
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Magnus

Magnus watches as the final traces of fire collapse the barricade. After receiving signal from Aya and Keeva, he readies his shield, draws his hammer, and strides into the cavern entrance, calling in a loud voice, "We are here to end the threat of death that hangs over the head of the hamlets below. Any of you that lay down arms and surrender now will be spared. I cannot guarantee this if you take up arms against us."

After, Magnus steels himself for the probability of combat.

20. - Top - End - #530
    Titan in the Playground

Mirielle finishes casting the last of her spells and steps into the mouth of the cave to stand with Magnus. She hefts her morningstar and peers into the now illuminated cave.

Spoiler
    Show
    Buffs reminder: Jorran and Aya have protection from evil and Mirielle has luminous armor and shield of faith.

Luminous armor sheds light as daylight (bright light in 60' radius; dim in 120' radius).

21. - Top - End - #531
    Titan in the Playground

A large number of common goblins with a few bugbears and Blues mixed in are arranged in a kind of halfcircle, eyes on the cave's entrance and determined to repel the attackers. Shield users are in the front, with the archers left after Aya's prior bombardment behind. The three blueskins visible use the columns as cover, and two of them are attended by goblins wearing plated armor and wellcrafted curved twohanders. "Filthy humans, make pay for killing goblinkin!" one of the Blues call out, followed by something in their native tongue, and all of them tense, getting ready to attack the intruders.

Spoiler
    Show

B are Blues. B1 and B2 have studded leather, B3 a fine chain shirt
    G are common goblins. Studded leather, heavy shield, javelins and melee weapon
    A are a mix of archers and crossbow users, leather and buckler
    F are goblins in breastplate, wielding falchions
    R are bugbears, studded leather, heavy shield, javelins and melee weapon

Initiative

Keeva 17
    Mirielle 13
    Magnus 12
    Jorran 11
    Goblins 8
    Aya 6

the three with the best modifiers got the worst results -.-
    Last edited by TheFallenOne; 2012-05-10 at 06:50 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff the Green View Post
    Actually, when you first put up the post where the gazebo started trying to eat us, I assumed you were pulling our legs and you'd put up the real post soon enough.

22. - Top - End - #532
    Troll in the Playground

Keeva

Keeva brings up her crossbow, aiming it at a Goblin close to a Blue. She activates the wand in her crossbow, and fires.

Spoiler
    Show
    Aiming for F1. Not sure if I can, since Mirielle is directly in front of me. If not, G1.

Instant of Power on myself.
    To Hit + IoP: (1d20+9)[26]
    Damage: (2d8)[8]

How is it that I keep getting first on the Initiative? This is funny.
    Last edited by Cardea; 2012-05-10 at 10:25 AM.

23. - Top - End - #533
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Magnus

Magnus sighs at the words of the blue, and mutters, "Perhaps they will change their mind after two dozen of their kin lie bleeding at our feet," and then, louder, "Just like we talked about. Focus fire, target the leaders and the archers first."

Spoiler
    Show
    @Keeva: Mirielle is in front of you, not me. That said, all that does is give the blue soft cover, which is a bit redundant, as he has cover already.

Magnus: Maneuvers: (1d5)[4], (1d4)[1], (1d3)[3]
    Magnus is in Martial Spirit stance, and readies an action to crusader strike if both of the following are true: any enemies are in melee range and Mirielle is injured.
    Last edited by candycorn; 2012-05-10 at 09:38 AM.

24. - Top - End - #534
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Jorran raises the crossbow and fires it at a goblin directly ahead.

Spoiler
    Show
    Shoot goblin in R1
    Attack: (1d20+5)[20]
    Damage: (1d8)[1]
    Frog in the playground.

I have Str 5!

25. - Top - End - #535
    Titan in the Playground

Mirielle takes what she hopes, though on the balance doubts, is a threatening stance and readies herself to attack.

Spoiler
    Show
    Reading an action to attack (one handed) the first enemy that comes within 5'.
    Attack: (1d20+2)[13]
    Damage: (1d8+2)[7]

26. - Top - End - #536
    Titan in the Playground

Jorran only scores a glancing hit, and while Keeva's bolt burries itself in the target's shoulder, the armored goblin retains his footing. All three Blues summon a shimmering pane of force in front of them, and the other goblins let loose a barrage of javelins, arrows and quarrels at the intruders.

Spoiler
    Show
    Blues manifest Force Screen.
    Fs take Total Defense.

Brace for impact, that's gonna be a lot of rolls.

G1 javelin at Mirielle - (1d20+4)[7] (1d4)[4]
    G2 javelin at Magnus - (1d20+2)[12] (1d4)[2]
    G4 javelin at Mirielle - (1d20+4)[14] (1d4)[3]
    G5 javelin at Magnus - (1d20+2)[13] (1d4)[1]
    G6 javelin at Aya - (1d20-2)[6] (1d4)[1]
    G7 javelin at Magnus - (1d20+2)[4] (1d4)[3]
    G8 javelin at Magnus - (1d20+2)[13] (1d4)[4]
    G9 javelin at Magnus - (1d20+2)[14] (1d4)[2]
    Ga javelin at Aya - (1d20-2)[9] (1d4)[1]
    Gb javelin at Aya - (1d20-4)[13] (1d4)[3]
    Gc javelin at Keeva - (1d20-4)[14] (1d4)[2]

A1 shoot at Magnus - (1d20+4)[22] (1d6)[4]
    A2 shoot at Aya - (1d20)[13] (1d6)[6]
    A3 shoot at Keeva - (1d20)[7] (1d6)[1]
    A4 shoot at Magnus - (1d20+4)[12] (1d6)[2]
    A5 shoot at Keeva - (1d20)[6] (1d6)[6]
    A1 shoot at Mirielle - (1d20+4)[17] (1d6)[4]

R1 javelin at Jorran - (1d20+1)[5] (1d6+3)[7]
    R1 javelin at Magnus - (1d20+1)[8] (1d6+3)[6]

impressive, I don't think you got a single scratch from that
    Last edited by TheFallenOne; 2012-05-10 at 04:33 PM.
    Actually, when you first put up the post where the gazebo started trying to eat us, I assumed you were pulling our legs and you'd put up the real post soon enough.

27. - Top - End - #537
    Titan in the Playground

Shaking her head at the goblins' amateur barrage, Aya focuses on their leaders. Not quite her usual targets, but that just meant they were less predictable, and she wanted them out of the way quickly.

Spoiler
    Show
    Firing on the blues, starting with B2 and continuing to B1 in case of luck.
    Attack: (1d20+7)[12]
    Damage: (1d8+3)[5] + 1 electricity
    Attack: (1d20+7)[26]
    Damage: (1d8+3)[6] + 1 electricity
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

28. - Top - End - #538
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Magnus

Only one bolt comes close to hitting Magnus, as he continues to provide cover for the archers behind him. He continues to ready for the assault, knowing that they may close soon, given their poor archery showing.

Spoiler
    Show
    Maneuver granted: (1d2)[2]

Ready Action to use Vanguard strike on the first enemy to approach within melee range.

Attack: (1d20+5)[19]
    Damage: (1d8+3)[8]

29. - Top - End - #539
    Titan in the Playground

Mirielle tries not to smile at the goblin archers' ineptitude and continues to brace herself for a rush of goblins.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Same old same old.
    Reading an action to attack (one handed) the first enemy that comes within 5'.
    Attack: (1d20+5)[21]
    Damage: [roll]1d8+2[roll]
    Last edited by Jeff the Green; 2012-05-11 at 01:54 AM.

30. - Top - End - #540
    Troll in the Playground

Keeva

Keeva smiles as the bolt comes faster, loading into place. She aims down the sight, following Aya's volley.

Spoiler
    Show
    Move Action: Reload
    Swift: Instant of Power
    Standard: Aiming for B2. If its down from Aya's shot, aiming for B1.
    Attack: (1d20+9)[12]
    Damage: (2d8)[2]