New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 50 FirstFirst 12345678910111227 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Default Re: Madness, Blood and Thunder in Ravens Bluff IC

Magnus whispers back, "Only six? That's heartening. I'll wait here; do not tarry long. This hold is dark, and wet, and does not sit well with me. I would find what these cowards had planned for us, and standing next to hard tack and cargo nets doesn't answer any questions."
    All of this has happened before...
    and all of this will happen again.

Moving. Internet access is a bit spotty.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    no, no chance of that

A quick inspection shows that the crates Aya checked carried no weapons, with one exception: a finely crafted repeating crossbow, carved of ebony with golden inlays and two filled clips. Judging from the other items in the same crate, it must be some kind of antiquary, but it seems in good enough repair for combat.
    Some fireplace pokers from another crate filled with household items might have some limited use in combat if push comes to shove too.
    Lastly, another container reveals quite fancy women's clothing. Nothing useful for you now, though a pair of halfway practical looking sandals does look slightly tempting to the shoeless elf.

Spoiler
    Show
    pokers are improvised light picks
    Last edited by TheFallenOne; 2012-01-30 at 01:18 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff the Green View Post
    Actually, when you first put up the post where the gazebo started trying to eat us, I assumed you were pulling our legs and you'd put up the real post soon enough.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

"Someone break these. This'll probably end in a brawl anyway." Jorran flexes against the manacles again, despite the futility of such an action. Jorran walked out of the improvised prison compartment and stopped to listen. How long until someone came to check on them? They better have their act together at that point.

He looks around for something he could use in two hands, a spare plank or something similarly large.
    Frog in the playground.

My homebrewer's extended signature.

I have Str 5!

Quote Originally Posted by BobVosh View Post
    Wall of text attacks! CRITS!

4. - Top - End - #34
    Titan in the Playground

"Hey, shoes!" Aya murmurs. Slipping her feet into the sandals, she grimaces. "But not really made for feet my size. Bother. Beats getting a splinter, I guess." Tying the sandals to her feet with a spare length of black ribbon, she hangs one of of the fireplace pokers from her belt, leaving the crate open for the others to loot, and pries open a few more until she spies the crossbow.

"Oooh... wonder how old this is..." Lifting it from the crate admiringly, she checks the loading mechanism, then stuffs it into the box of clothing to muffle the sound and winds the crank. "Right then. This one's mine until they give me my bow back." And now that I'm holding this old thing, I want it back even more. I swear, if they've damaged it, I'm going to do the same to their spines.

Looking from Magnus to Jorran, she tilts her head in consideration. "Now, what's worth more, having you unbound, or keeping the element of surprise so I can stick a few bolts in them before they come down here?"

Spoiler
    Show
    Heavy or light crossbow?
    Wriggle avatar by memnarch.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

5. - Top - End - #35
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Magnus whispers back, "It may be better to have him free. I have an idea. One or two will likely come to investigate the noise. We let them in, and you four knock them out and arm yourselves. I'll block the stairwell after they enter the room, to prevent any more from getting in until you can prepare yourselves properly. That will let you surprise the first ones, get your bolts in them, and keep too many entering the fray to overwhelm us in open space. Sound good?"
    Last edited by candycorn; 2012-01-30 at 01:32 AM.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Titan in the Playground

Aya nods, cradling the crossbow. "Fair enough. I'll just be over here, then." Concealing herself in the space next to the stairs, Aya checks the crossbow's mechanisms once more, then settles into a sitting position with her back against the wall. With one leg dangling off a crate, she hardly makes for a dignified image, but her natural stillness and undistracted readiness bespeak a certain familiarity with lying in wait.

Spoiler
    Show
    Taking 10 on Hide.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

7. - Top - End - #37
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Magnus steps away from the door, and beckons Jorran over. He positions the manacles over a beam, and gives a swift blow to the locking mechanism.

Spoiler
    Show
    wielding warhammer 2 handed, as I don't have my shield. Full round to line up the shot (auto hit).

Damage: (1d8+5)[6]

If needed, a second blow: (1d8+5)[13]

DM:
    Spoiler
    Show
    In advance, starting maneuvers for the upcoming fight, just in case:
    (1d5)[1] - Crusader Strike
    (1d4)[4] - Vanguard Strike
    (1d3)[3] - Leading the Attack

Currently in Martial Spirit stance.

Maneuvers are selected, counting from the top, from the list on my sheet, skipping maneuvers that are already granted.
    Last edited by candycorn; 2012-01-30 at 01:50 AM.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Listen checks for those close to the stairs
    Actually, when you first put up the post where the gazebo started trying to eat us, I assumed you were pulling our legs and you'd put up the real post soon enough.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Titan in the Playground

Briefly setting the crossbow down on her knee, Aya points toward the voices and holds up one finger, then mimes catching something before taking up the weapon and aiming at the top of the staircase.

Spoiler
    Show
    Readying an action to shoot the incoming sailor if he looks like he's about to say anything. Is the crossbow heavy or light? (Also, masterwork or just fancy?)
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

10. - Top - End - #40
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Magnus pays attention to the door from a short distance to the side of it, listening as best he can, and preparing to move in behind anyone who enters.

Mechanics:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Up to 15 feet from the stairs, if possible, favoring the side farthest from the torch, provided it has a clear path to move.

If I'm allowed to ready at this point, ready action to move to block the stairs after I see someone enter the room, travel at least 5 feet from the entry, with nobody visible behind them.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Spoiler
    Show
    I assume the manacles were successfully sundered?

--

* post roll count doesn't match database
    Last edited by Frog Dragon; 2012-01-30 at 03:17 PM.
    Frog in the playground.

I have Str 5!

12. - Top - End - #42
    Titan in the Playground

As Magnus swings at the manacles, Mirielle dashes into the passage. She grabs one of the pokers that Aya turned up and hefts it a few times to get a feel for it, and then ducks behind Jorran. "When they come in," she whispers. "I'm going to touch you on the arm and cast a spell to give you some better protection. I'd do it now, but they might see it. Don't get jumpy on me."

Spoiler
    Show
    Readying an action to cast shield of faith on Jorran.
    Hide: (1d20+3)[11]
    Last edited by Jeff the Green; 2012-01-30 at 11:06 AM.
    Author of The Auspician's Handbook and The Tempestarian's Handbook for Spheres of Power.
    Ask me (or the other authors) anything.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lateral View Post
    Well, of course I'm paranoid about everything. Hell, with Jeff as DM, I'd be paranoid even if we were playing a game set in The Magic Kiddie Funland of Perfectly Flat Planes and Sugar Plums.
    Greenman by Bradakhan/Spring Greenman by Comissar/Autumn Greenman by Sgt. Pepper/Winter Greenman by gurgleflep

13. - Top - End - #43
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Seeing Jorran take up position by the doorway, Magnus curses under his breath, and advances to the other side of the door, glaring at him, and hissing, "You were supposed to wait until they came in to get close! That way, they're stuck in the room. Now we'll have to drop this guy quickly, and I'll have to stand fast on the stairs while you get a proper weapon!"

Mechanics:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Hide: (1d20+1)[18]

14. - Top - End - #44
    Troll in the Playground

Keeva looks into the crate and pulls out a poker, grimacing at not having 'mobile ballista'. She sets it back in as she looks around in the other containers, grabbing the clothing and claiming it for herself. She tucks it into a ball under her left arm, and makes her way over to Aya. She grasps the crossbow, and whispers under her breath: "Arma maxica." She moves back into the cell, making sure that it looks like she's still locked up.

Spoiler
    Show
    Casting Magic Weapon on Aya's Repeating Crossbow. Its a +1 Repeating Crossbow now.
    Just finding my roots again.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

this is roughly what things look like on your deck. Stairs lead up and north. Grey is the door. Dark brown assorted trade goods

16. - Top - End - #46
    Titan in the Playground

Nodding her thanks to Keeva as she feels the crossbow lighten and stabilize itself, Aya nonetheless rolls her eyes at the disorganization in the rest of the group. It's a good thing we've got surprise on our side, but we won't much longer at this rate.

Waving a hand to catch their attention, she jabs a finger at the upper deck again, then holds it to her lips for silence. With a brief glare, she waves them away from the bottom of the stairs, hoping the rest will get the idea in the few seconds before the approaching sailor comes into view.
    Last edited by Sallera; 2012-01-30 at 04:11 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

17. - Top - End - #47
    Titan in the Playground

You hear a chair slide back, though immediately after the instructions from the seeming leader an argument seems to break out; the volume of their voices makes it somewhat easier to understand. Appearantly they are in disagreement about notifying others on the ship about the unusual noise below because they'd get in trouble for not leaving a guard there as instructed.

Aya's warning comes too late, and the sailor, only halfway down the stairs, stops dead in his tracks and calls out "They've broken out!"

Spoiler
    Show
    hiding now wouldn't have made a difference anymore, he'd have noticed the crates you left open after plundering them

He's at C6. Initiative is

Aya
    Keeva
    sailor
    Jorran
    Magnus
    Mirielle

actions from Aya and Keeva please

18. - Top - End - #48
    Titan in the Playground

Grimacing at the sailor's yell, Aya releases a shot into his back, slipping off the crate as she flicks the reloading lever and ducking down against the side of the staircase. Should have let me snipe them. Hope this bunch knows their way around a fight, 'cause now we need to take down five or six before that bodyguard gets here.

Spoiler
    Show
    Hrm, so even though she knows he's coming and has a weapon ready, there's no way to shoot him before he says anything? Inconvenient.

Well, if it's all we can do, we'll just try to deal with him quickly, I guess.
    Single shot with the crossbow, sniping attempt. 5ft step to E6.
    Attack: (1d20+5)[20] (not including any hiding bonus)
    Damage: (1d8+2)[5]
    Hide: (1d20-10)[-3]
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

19. - Top - End - #49
    Troll in the Playground

Keeva stands out from the cell, and raises a hand and a finger at the man, smiling as Aya's bolt flies forward.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Titan in the Playground

The crossbow bolt pierces through the man's arm and his warning turns into a scream of pain. He staggers backward out of sight, and you hear multiple chairs being pushed back or toppled over.
    "Damn, now we really need to alert the others."
    "Are you crazy? Asam will throw us out if he learns how we screwed up here!"
    "Guys, settle down. They're unarmed, we can still fix this on our own."
    "Unarmed? What do you call this then?" You recogize the voice of the man who came down the stairs, and though you can't see him anymore, you have the distinct impression he's pointing at the quarrel sticking out of his flesh as he says this.

Spoiler
    Show
    They spend their turn standing up, maybe drawing weapons, and bickering. Entire party can act

DM only
    Spoiler
    Show
    if party doesn't ger aggressive themselves they will
    1 call for help and hold position
    2 go on the offensive
    (1d2)[2]

21. - Top - End - #51
    Titan in the Playground

Aya shrugs, hopping back up onto the crate and leveling the crossbow at the staircase. You want to solve this alone? Come on, then, and welcome. Save me the trouble of hunting you.

Spoiler
    Show
    Move to F7 (Jump to hop up, if required: (1d20+8)[15]). Ready action to shoot the first sailor down the stairs.
    Last edited by Sallera; 2012-01-31 at 08:53 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

22. - Top - End - #52
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Magnus

Magnus's action, when appropriate (any can read):
    Spoiler
    Show
    On his turn Magnus will drop his warhammer, move to the top of the stairs, and ready an action to use maneuver: (Leading the Attack) on the first armed foe to enter his reach.

Prior to readying an action, he'll chuckle, and say: "I don't need a weapon to put you miserable curs on the ground. Which of you is to be first?"

Magnus's Turn at a glance:
    Spoiler
    Show

Began at: B8
    Moved to: C6 (on stairs)

Current HP: 31/31 (10 nonlethal damage)
    Current DR: 6/magic (astral vambraces, 2 essentia)
    Current Stance: Martial Spirit
    Melds Shaped: Incarnate Weapon (1 essentia), Astral Vambraces (Expanded, 2 essentia), Therapeutic Mantle (1 essentia)

Armed with: Fists
    Readied action: Use Maneuver: Leading the Attack: First foe in reach
    Last edited by candycorn; 2012-02-02 at 10:51 PM.

23. - Top - End - #53
    Titan in the Playground

Mirielle swears at having been caught. She spends several seconds swearing, actually, and manages to invoke the names of at least seven dead gods.

As she curses, she draws divine energy into her body. Just as she feels about to burst, she touches Jorran on the shoulder and the two of them explode in a dazzling light. When it recedes, Jorran is covered in an undulating field of light and Mirielle wears a shimmering suit of armor.

She then hustles to stand next to Magnus and echoes his challenge to the sailors. "Aye. If you'd left me my mace you'd be standing before the Judge of the Damned as soon as you could breathe. Now you get two breaths." She tries to look fearsome, something she's had little practice at. Her armor, she decides, helps on that front, but her disheveled hair and spectacles most certainly do not.

Spoiler
    Show
    DMM Quickened shield of faith on Jorran (+2 deflection AC), luminous armor on self (+5 armor AC, -4 to opponents' melee attacks, light as daylight), move from D9 to D5.

Knowledge (Local) for Knowledge Devotion: (1d20+6)[22]
    +2 to attacks and damage
    Last edited by Jeff the Green; 2012-02-01 at 07:14 PM.
    Author of The Auspician's Handbook and The Tempestarian's Handbook for Spheres of Power.
    Well, of course I'm paranoid about everything. Hell, with Jeff as DM, I'd be paranoid even if we were playing a game set in The Magic Kiddie Funland of Perfectly Flat Planes and Sugar Plums.
    Greenman by Bradakhan/Spring Greenman by Comissar/Autumn Greenman by Sgt. Pepper/Winter Greenman by gurgleflep

24. - Top - End - #54
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

"Give your boss a welcome in hell, willya?" Jorran yells after the guard. Then he hustled over to pick up the woodaxe. It was quite awkward to wield, especially when handcuffed, but it was still a weapon. Then he got up the stairs, accepting Mirielle's spell.

Spoiler
    Show
    I don't know the location of the woodaxe, and I'm not sure where I would've started the turn, but I doubt it much matters, given my 40ft speed. End at D6 anyway. Start at 9B or something? Also, if someone or something tries to attack Jorran during the next round, he will activate Ferocity before it hits (Immediate action). If not, I'm activating it anyway on my next turn.

AC (after Ferocity): 15
    Last edited by Frog Dragon; 2012-02-03 at 12:18 AM.
    Frog in the playground.

I have Str 5!

25. - Top - End - #55
    Titan in the Playground

Keeva, with no suitable weapon at hand and a fight in sight, decides to don one of the thick coats to at least have some measure of protection before joining the melee.

Spoiler
    Show
    Party Status:
    Aya F7
    Jorran C6(acted first so I give him the spot both wanted)
    Keeva C10
    Magnus D6
    Mirielle D5

When Jorran and Magnus took the stairs, one of the sailors charged at the latter with a shortsword, only to be reprimanded by their leader before his blade even connected. "You fool, Tirosh said small blades don't work on that one!"
    The halfling, ignoring the small throwing knife in his hand, instead drew an alchemist fire and tossed it at Magnus, showering enemy and ally with flaming liquid.
    Their heavily armored leader jumped down to the lower half of the stairs and tried to bring Magnus off his feet by wrapping the chain of his twohanded flail around his leg and then pulling back.
    The last two, one of which was a halfelf on closer inspection, went to the left of the stairs to attack Jorran with cutlass and a pair of punching daggers. The halfblood went through an exposed position to strike Jorran from a spot he couldn't well defend against.

Spoiler
    Show
    Sailor 1: move to E4(top), attack Magnus
    attack - (1d20+6)[10] damage - (1d6)[6]
    Sailor 2: move to C5(top), attack Magnus
    touch attack - (1d20+6)[10] fire - (1d6)[1] 2 splash to Jorran and sailor 1 if hit
    Sailor 3: move to D7(bottom), Improved Trip on Magnus
    Touch - (1d20+7)[21] trip - (1d20+7)[23]
    followup if tripped - (1d20+5)[7] (1d10+8)[17] PA for 2
    Sailor 4: move to B3(top), attack Jorran
    attack - (1d20+5)[11] damage - (1d6+2)[6]
    Sailor 5: move to C2. Tumble DC 25 or eat AoO from Jorran (1d20+8)[13]
    attack - (1d20+5)[8] damage - (1d4+1)[5] Sneak Attack - (1d6)[6]

Party's turn

26. - Top - End - #56
    Titan in the Playground

"Heh. Never lock your enemies in with your trade goods." Snapping a bolt into the leader's leg as he jumps down the stairs, Aya flicks the lever and repositions, sending another two quick shots at his body as he grapples with Magnus, although the weapon's unfamiliar recoil throws off her aim.

Grumbling, she adds "And if you don't tell me where you hid my bow, I'll not bother stopping you from bleeding to death after we fill you with holes."

Spoiler
    Show
    Readied shot at Sailor 3: (1d20+5)[23]
    Damage: (1d8+2)[5]

On Aya's turn, 5ft step to F8 and Rapid Shot at the same one.
    Attack 1: (1d20+3)[13]
    Damage: (1d8+2)[9]
    Attack 2: (1d20+3)[15]
    Damage: (1d8+2)[10]
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

27. - Top - End - #57
    Titan in the Playground

"Or even worse," Mirielle says, dashing around the stairs, "she'll have me do it. And I have a lot more experience embalming bodies than treating injuries." That's scary, right? I think that was scary.

She awkwardly swings at the leader's legs with the poker. Her blow just bounces off his armor, but hopefully it at least distracts him so Magnus and Jorran can take care of him.

Spoiler
    Show
    Move to E7, attack Sailor 3.
    Attack (including non-proficiency penalty): (1d20+4)[6]
    Damage (wielding two-handed): (1d5+6)[10]
    Last edited by Jeff the Green; 2012-02-03 at 03:38 PM.

28. - Top - End - #58
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Jorran snarled. It was Luskan all over again. He was poorly armed and unarmored. They were armed professionals.

They were all going to die.

The flask broke next to him, spraying him with flaming chemicals. He was past caring. He evaded the sailor's attack in his frenzy, swinging wildly at the other sailor trying to move past him, instinctively recognizing the opening. Then, without even pausing to see if the sailor was hurt, he hacked at him a second time.

Spoiler
    Show
    Both attacks directed at Jorran miss. Take one point from the alchemist fire. Jorran activates ferocity when sailor 4 tries to attack him.
    AoO (at sailor 5): (1d20+1)[8]
    Damage: (1d8+7)[14]
    Then he attacks sailor 5 a second time on his own turn.
    Attack: (1d20+1)[10]
    Damage: (1d8+7)[11]

Attack bonus sucks right now. Aren't handcuffs and improvised weapons great?
    Last edited by Frog Dragon; 2012-02-03 at 01:02 PM.
    Frog in the playground.

I have Str 5!

29. - Top - End - #59
    Troll in the Playground

Keeva, an idea sparking, moves fast, hauling herself around the fight at the stairs, so she's behind it all.

Spoiler
    Show
    Double move action to move to C2.

30. - Top - End - #60
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Magnus feels the sting of the alchemist's fire, and looks, shocked, at the sailor. "Your life depends on the WOODEN ship you stand upon, and you start lighting fires!? Are you daft!? After all the effort to take to keep us alive, you try to kill us all?"

Magnus feels the goes down to the trip attack, grunting. No sooner does he hit the deck, however, than his warhammer skitters across the deck, flying to Magnus's waiting hand. Magnus smiles a predatory grin, standing up, and swings at the heavily armored tripper, after gripping his hammer firmly in two hands.

Spoiler
    Show
    Crusader Strike
    Attack: (1d20+7)[10] (+1 essentia, +1 furious counterstrike, +1 higher ground, -1 Stone power)
    Damage: (1d8+5)[7]

If hit:
    Healing: (1d6+4)[6] At Jorran

End of round, I have my last maneuver granted me. Alchemist's fire damage absorbed into 2 Temp HP from Stone Power.