New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 22 of 50 FirstFirst ... 12131415161718192021222324252627282930313247 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #631
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Default Re: Madness, Blood and Thunder in Ravens Bluff IC

Magnus gives a short nod, and replies, "I can stay a short distance back, and move forward to screen you once you begin shooting. Until then, I'd prefer to stay far enough back that the noise from my armor doesn't betray your position."
    All of this has happened before...
    and all of this will happen again.

Moving. Internet access is a bit spotty.

2. - Top - End - #632
    Troll in the Playground

Keeva

Keeva sighs to herself as she stops looking over the items of the fresh-corpses, and takes out her crossbow again. "'What's that Keeva? You want to see if there's anything you can devour? Such a shame. Kill more things instead.' Guess we're going with the former. I swear, this day gets better and better. I ain't good at sneakin', so I'll fire at whatever you need me to that comes chasin' out after you. Can't be using my wand much more; I'm burning through the thing like wildfire."
    Just finding my roots again.

3. - Top - End - #633
    Titan in the Playground

"Hey, focus, the job's not done yet. Plenty of time for picking apart trinkets later." With a wave, Aya sets down the passage once again, hoping the others manage to remain unnoticed. Approaching the final turn cautiously, she pokes her head around the corner, picking out a blue-skinned target from the mob. You ought to be easier to hit with a proper shot. Don't worry - the lucky one gets to live. Raising her bow slowly, she nocks a blunt-headed arrow to the string, draws, and, judging the gazes of the room's inhabitants, releases and ducks out of sight almost the instant the arrow leaves the string.

Spoiler
    Show
    At least, assuming she's not interrupted by someone's botched stealth check or somesuch.

Let's see if we can get one of the leaders first. Take 10 to sneak into position. Skip/delay through the surprise round, snipe attempt on B2 if she can pick him out from the other. Roll randomly to see which blue she gets otherwise, I guess.
    Attack: (1d20+11)[29]
    Damage: (1d8+3)[8] nonlethal + 1 electricity
    Hide: (1d20-10)[-5]
    Wriggle avatar by memnarch.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

4. - Top - End - #634
    Titan in the Playground

The goblins' common room is noticably larger than the one you fought their defenders in, currently housing what must be about sixty common goblins, mostly women, children and others wearing neither armor nor weapon. A conglomeration of rags, furs and linen in the edges of the cave evidently serve as beds, and in the center are four cooking fires, though only two are currently lit.
    Three goblins in dark grey robes are treating the wounded who escaped you with a mixture of magical and mundane means, giving quite obvious preferential treatment to the injured Blue. Aya's arrow finds the second one and knocks him out, followed by cries of confusion and fear from the throng of goblins now huddling further into the corners.

Spoiler
    Show
    B2 unconscious

apart from the ones who fled, there are a lonesome two warriors and 3 Adept1. You already defeated those guys and they are no serious threat now you're healed. You want them dead, they're dead. You want to spare the women and children, you can do that as well.
    Last edited by TheFallenOne; 2012-05-20 at 01:29 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff the Green View Post
    Actually, when you first put up the post where the gazebo started trying to eat us, I assumed you were pulling our legs and you'd put up the real post soon enough.

5. - Top - End - #635
    Titan in the Playground

The desperate resistance is cut and shot down fast, all goblins wielding weapons dead or bleeding to death, with the Blues onconscious on the ground. The civilians try to stay away from the intruders as far as possible, pushing into one of the corners, and if this goes on they might even crush or suffocate some of their own.
    Actually, when you first put up the post where the gazebo started trying to eat us, I assumed you were pulling our legs and you'd put up the real post soon enough.

6. - Top - End - #636
    Titan in the Playground

"Heh. Two goblin leaders, ready for questioning. Well, once you wake them up, anyway. I don't speak their jabbertongue; any of you know enough of it to get the civilians to sit down and shut up while we find what we came here for?" Idly spinning her bow a few times, Aya slings it over her back and turns her head toward the goblins just long enough to flash a wicked grin. "Speaking of which," she adds, lowering her voice, "what are we planning on doing with them? Shall we just... encourage them to move on? Say, to the next mountain range?"

Spoiler
    Show
    Aid Another on Intimidate, should we go that route: (1d20-1)[15]
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

7. - Top - End - #637
    Troll in the Playground

Keeva

"I don't! I know some Orcish though! Aren't they related?" Keeva shouts, as she moves about, gathering up items from the ground. She picks up the Bedroll, rolling it up underneath her arms. She steps over next to Aya, and motions towards it with her head. "Check it out; haven't seen one of these things before. There were some nice things on the bodies. A lot of one-use type of things, but still nice. Anywho, Orcish." Keeva clears her throat, and looks over to the Goblins, changing up her dialect. (Orcish) "Oi! Which of you understands what I'm saying?"

Spoiler
    Show
    Unless someone objects, I'm picking up: Cloak of Resistance, Lesser Crystal of Stamina, Potion of Remove Fear, the Glitterstone, Potion of CLW, Magic Bedroll, Brooch of Shielding. I kind of feel like I'm not able to make full use of my Monocle, unless you're just throwing out that I'm auto-figuring out what these things are, and telling everyone else.

8. - Top - End - #638
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    I'm assuming you use the monocle on the items. Posting their nature openly is just for convenience's sake

Only a select view seem to understand the orcish tongue, and one of them, an adolescent goblin, answers in common instead. "Humans slaughter brother, father, mate of tribe! Want kill woman, child too? Leave, or chief make pay! Kill lot of you and me dance on grave!"

9. - Top - End - #639
    Troll in the Playground

Keeva

"Hey, look! This one talks in common! Terrible common, sure, but I 'venture he ain't too bright anyways, makin' empty threats against someone whose carryin' a crossbow this big. Am I right, kiddo?" Keeva says, smiling. She sets the bedroll down as she adjusts her backpack to pick out an apple. Picking the bedroll back up, she walks just past Aya, with her back to the Goblins, and her mouth half-full of produce, and says to the Elf. "Well, your caw now. Whats'ff 'e plan?"

Spoiler
    Show
    Aid Another Intimidate, in case: (1d20+1)[11]

10. - Top - End - #640
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Magnus

Magnus strides over to the adolescent goblin, and backhands him, hard. "If you want to live to dance on my grave, young one, then tell woman and childs to sit, and be quiet."

He then walks back to the group. "I don't want to kill any of the noncombatants if I don't have to, but they do need to know what we need them to do, and that there are consequences for not doing it. When we wake the blues, we'll need to find out more information about this chief, and whether or not he's a threat."

11. - Top - End - #641
    Titan in the Playground

Two other goblins hold the young one back when he tries to have a go at Keeva, barefisted. Shortly after, Magnus backhands him, making the greenskin spit blood. At the strike, a cry of fear goes through the throng of bodies. "Kill anyway, will not, filthy human? Think better than goblins, but goblins not attack home, kill all like animal."

12. - Top - End - #642
    Titan in the Playground

"Better?" Aya giggles, eyes glinting in the shadow of her hood. "No, no, we're just stronger. You had a decent idea, but you made the mistake of doing it illegally, and getting the attention of people who could shut it down. Should you ever try again, it had best be somewhere far from here, where we never hear about it."
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

13. - Top - End - #643
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

"If quiet, I think nothing about you. I leave you be. If keep talking, or fighting..." At that, Magnus simply looks around, at all the dead goblins, and shrugs.

14. - Top - End - #644
    Titan in the Playground

At the youth's outburst, Mirielle looks up from the blues that she was trying to revive. "You're really that thick, aren't you." She says in a grave-quiet voice. She stands up and, dusting off her knees, walks to the young goblin. Her breastplate nearly blinds him.

She straightens her shoulders, emphasizing the nearly three-foot size difference between them. "Are you so dense you don't know what your parents have done? That they're threatening to starve the villagers in the valleys below you? That they tried to drown them all, and would have if it weren't for a couple lucky shots?"

"Boy, let me explain something to you. Do you see this mark?" she asks, pointing to the emblem on her intangible breastplate, a skeletal hand grasping a scale. "Kelemvor rules the dead and the dying, and he demands justice. Those who bring Death eventually find him knocking on their doors.

"Your chief can't change that law. Your god can't change that law. And believe me when I say that we will make sure that law is executed."

Mirielle turns on her heel and returns to tend to the unconscious blues.

Spoiler
    Show
    Intimidate: (1d20+4)[5] <= Apparently Mirielle said all this in a Mickey Mouse voice.
    Heal to estimate B1's HP (1d20+3)[19]
    Heal to estimate B3's HP (1d20+3)[7]
    Last edited by Jeff the Green; 2012-05-21 at 02:32 AM.
    Author of The Auspician's Handbook and The Tempestarian's Handbook for Spheres of Power.
    Ask me (or the other authors) anything.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lateral View Post
    Well, of course I'm paranoid about everything. Hell, with Jeff as DM, I'd be paranoid even if we were playing a game set in The Magic Kiddie Funland of Perfectly Flat Planes and Sugar Plums.
    Greenman by Bradakhan/Spring Greenman by Comissar/Autumn Greenman by Sgt. Pepper/Winter Greenman by gurgleflep

15. - Top - End - #645
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Jorran listens to the adolescent goblin's bravado, and the rest of the team's attempts to silence the insolent little goblin. He laughs, and walks up to the creature. "Kill us and dance on our graves, huh?" He laughs again, as if at the very absurdity of the threat. "Do you really think you can threaten us? We've slaughtered two dozen goblins on the way here! More! And what are you in comparison? You didn't fight at the door, and you expect me to believe you, or this clan, has anything to pit against us?" He turned to the rest of the noncombatants. "You heard the kid! Kill us and dance on our graves!" He paused for a moment, lowering his voice. "Empty, all of it. You have nothing. You are powerless." He turns back to the adolescent. "So shut the hell up before I decide mouthy goblins are combatants! He looks at the rest. "Got it?" Then he walks back to his original position, sitting down and beginning to clean the blood off his sword.

Spoiler
    Show
    Intimidate: Take 10. So that's +4 from Aid Anothers? In that case, assuming size bonus, Jorran gets a 26. If not, 22. Trying to foster a sort of "Shut up and do what we say" atmosphere among the goblins.
    Last edited by Frog Dragon; 2012-05-21 at 07:27 AM.
    Frog in the playground.

My homebrewer's extended signature.

I have Str 5!

Quote Originally Posted by BobVosh View Post
    Wall of text attacks! CRITS!

16. - Top - End - #646
    Titan in the Playground

The goblins quiet down, each one looking at the floor - or somewhere else for the ones huddled too close to see anything of the rocky ground, long as their eyes stay away from the scary intruders in the hope of evading attention to themselves.

17. - Top - End - #647
    Titan in the Playground

Mirielle lays her hands on the less wounded of the two blues and funnels energy into him, but not before firmly clamping the manacles on him.

Spoiler
    Show
    I'll convert up to three cantrips into CMiW before turning to the wand.
    Author of The Auspician's Handbook and The Tempestarian's Handbook for Spheres of Power.
    Well, of course I'm paranoid about everything. Hell, with Jeff as DM, I'd be paranoid even if we were playing a game set in The Magic Kiddie Funland of Perfectly Flat Planes and Sugar Plums.
    Greenman by Bradakhan/Spring Greenman by Comissar/Autumn Greenman by Sgt. Pepper/Winter Greenman by gurgleflep

18. - Top - End - #648
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    manacles aren't unisize, they're a mere inconvenience for a small character, no effective restraint

second Cure Minor wakes him up

19. - Top - End - #649
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    I forgot about that. In that case, Mirielle would have made some small ones with shapesand. They wouldn't be masterwork, but it's faster and more secure than binding him with a rope.

"Oy, Jorran," Mirielle calls. "This one's awake now. Why don't we take him away from this bunch to talk to him."
    Last edited by Jeff the Green; 2012-05-22 at 01:32 AM.

20. - Top - End - #650
    Titan in the Playground

"I'll keep an eye on the entrance while you finish up here, then." Returning to the intersection of the paths, Aya listens carefully at the door before taking up a position at the corner to watch all three directions.

Spoiler
    Show
    Yeah, Aya's still wary about someone making off with the loot.
    Hide: 20
    MS: 20
    Listen: 21
    Spot: 21
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

21. - Top - End - #651
    Titan in the Playground

The massive double door muffles all sounds on the other side, if there are any; only after listening for a while does Aya faintly hear a deepthroated voice, likely a bugbear, say something that sounds like a question in goblin tongue. Afterwards, another voice speaks a single, commanding word, and after that there is only silence.

22. - Top - End - #652
    Titan in the Playground

Aha. Found you. Softly padding away from the door, Aya beckons Magnus into the tunnel. "There are a few more in the room past those doors back there, probably including the one we're looking for. Could use a hand keeping an eye on them while the others finish the interrogation."
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

23. - Top - End - #653
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Magnus

"Great. Just when I thought everything was over. Ah well, it sounds like the fight's out of these ones, if they're still hiding. Should we be just watching them, or do you want to kick in the door and get them huddled with the others?"

24. - Top - End - #654
    Titan in the Playground

"Well, I suppose it could be a good idea not to give them more time to set up defenses. Sounded like they were trying to avoid notice, though, so I figured they'd just be waiting for us to leave," Aya murmurs, withdrawing back along the passage and drawing her bow once they're out of sight of the rest. "If we're going inside, clank up to the intersection first, stand around a bit. Make 'em nervous. They won't be so accurate if we poke our heads in the door right after they've finally decided we haven't noticed them."
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

25. - Top - End - #655
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

"Surprise them by being noticed? Finally, a stealth tactic I can use! Sounds like it's worth a shot, at least."

With that, Magnus will walk by the door's general area, and shout down the hallway, asking, "Hey! How's things going with those goblins? Need a hand, or are they taken care of?"

26. - Top - End - #656
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

"All right." Jorran mutters, placing the cleaned sword back on the straps on his back. He walks up to the blue goblin and pulls him up to his feet by a single hand. "This one knows things?" He asks, though he already knows the answer. "Get over there." He blandly states to the goblin, pointing to a fair distance away from the huddle of goblinoids in the cave, following behind the creature.

Now somewhat isolated from prying ears. "Okay, goblin." Jorran starts. "Here's how it goes. We ask a question, you answer it. You don't answer a question, we see how the people down in the valley like your face. Probably crispy. I could prepare it for them." He pauses for a moment to look at the blue, measuring his response. "Who do you answer to? Where are you getting your orders from? And what have you been doing with the extorted money?" Jorran listed out, having made all the necessary threats.

Spoiler
    Show
    Take 10 on intimidate again. 22 with size bonus.
    Frog in the playground.

My homebrewer's extended signature.

I have Str 5!

Quote Originally Posted by BobVosh View Post
    Wall of text attacks! CRITS!

27. - Top - End - #657
    Titan in the Playground

The Blue is less easily cowed than the common goblins before, but still decides that answering the questions is his best bet for now. "Boss give orders, other Blues and goblins listen. Wanna see him, open door and die, filth. And money just good to have. Save lot, got better armor and weapons with rest."

28. - Top - End - #658
    Titan in the Playground

"Just about finished," Aya calls back from a comfortable distance. "Get our stuff ready, we'll be leaving in a minute."

Nodding to Magnus, she puts a finger to her lips for silence, then holds up five fingers, leaving them in place long enough to make it clear that she meant minutes rather than seconds. Just had to let them stew for a bit, get complacent... it was always in the moment of relief that a target was least on guard.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

29. - Top - End - #659
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Magnus

Magnus decides to make himself useful, whilst waiting, and, provided they're within earshot, begins removing the mundane possessions of the goblinoids. He makes sur to move back and forth as he does so, making no particular effort to be quiet.

30. - Top - End - #660
    Titan in the Playground

"Well now, I'm curious about your boss," Mirielle says. "One of your--what do you call young goblins? Whelps? Spawn? Goblinlings?--mentioned him before you. What is he, that makes you so sure he can kill us when you failed so miserably when you tried?"