New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 23 of 50 FirstFirst ... 13141516171819202122232425262728293031323348 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #661
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Madness, Blood and Thunder in Ravens Bluff IC

"Because boss stronger than I", the Blue answers with a malevolent grin. "Not ashamed of admitting. Been leading tribe for moons and moons through puppet. Until big 'uns moved in, try take over. Griznak kill puppet chief, boss see and very angry. Boss explode Griznak ugly head without touch. Boss leading openly after, and other big 'uns allowed to live long as serve. But not you. You just die."
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff the Green View Post
    Actually, when you first put up the post where the gazebo started trying to eat us, I assumed you were pulling our legs and you'd put up the real post soon enough.

2. - Top - End - #662
    Titan in the Playground

Mirielle's face grows bleak, and she tries to hide her worry under a facade of bravado. "Uh huh," she says. "Listen, little one. There are many things stronger than you. Making a hobgoblin's head explode isn't all that impressive; it's mostly empty to begin with.

"Jorran? Aya? I've got something you might want to see," Mirielle calls, a little louder than necessary.
    Author of The Auspician's Handbook and The Tempestarian's Handbook for Spheres of Power.
    Ask me (or the other authors) anything.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lateral View Post
    Well, of course I'm paranoid about everything. Hell, with Jeff as DM, I'd be paranoid even if we were playing a game set in The Magic Kiddie Funland of Perfectly Flat Planes and Sugar Plums.
    Greenman by Bradakhan/Spring Greenman by Comissar/Autumn Greenman by Sgt. Pepper/Winter Greenman by gurgleflep

3. - Top - End - #663
    Titan in the Playground

Raising an eyebrow, Aya waves to Magnus and briefly points at her eye and the door before padding silently down the hall.

"Find something interesting, Mirielle?"
    Wriggle avatar by memnarch.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

4. - Top - End - #664
    Titan in the Playground

"Yes," Mirielle says quietly. "The 'boss' is apparently quite a powerful psion, with a penchant for detonating his enemies' heads. We really need to catch him by surprise."
    Author of The Auspician's Handbook and The Tempestarian's Handbook for Spheres of Power.
    Well, of course I'm paranoid about everything. Hell, with Jeff as DM, I'd be paranoid even if we were playing a game set in The Magic Kiddie Funland of Perfectly Flat Planes and Sugar Plums.
    Greenman by Bradakhan/Spring Greenman by Comissar/Autumn Greenman by Sgt. Pepper/Winter Greenman by gurgleflep

5. - Top - End - #665
    Titan in the Playground

"Well, he's in that room up by the intersection with a couple bugbears, so he knows we're here," Aya murmurs with a grin. "Magnus and I have been working on a minor ruse to get him to let his guard down, but if he's smart or paranoid, he'll be tricky to take by surprise. He's not eager to face us, though; he's been making sure they all keep quiet."
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

6. - Top - End - #666
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

"In that case, I say we can face him with confidence. He knows he probably can't match people who walked all over his guard. We are in a position of strength." Jorran says. "We'll still want him out quick. Do we need him alive?"
    Frog in the playground.

My homebrewer's extended signature.

I have Str 5!

Quote Originally Posted by BobVosh View Post
    Wall of text attacks! CRITS!

7. - Top - End - #667
    Titan in the Playground

Aya shakes her head. "That's not necessarily true. Most people don't live long enough to get really good by taking on unnecessary fights. And remember, we don't have the loot yet, which means he does, and he loses nothing if we just leave. Don't underestimate him just because he's hiding."
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

8. - Top - End - #668
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

"Unnecessary fight?" Jorran shakes his head. "We've already done serious damage to his tribe, and we can do more. He knows that. He loses nothing if we just leave, but he loses a lot if we take out his tribe while he's keeping his head down. He'd stop us if he could."
    Frog in the playground.

I have Str 5!

9. - Top - End - #669
    Titan in the Playground

"Maybe. Goblins aren't exactly a rare resource, and as you've seen, they tend to respond well to intimidation. Honestly, under normal circumstances, I wouldn't try to kill the head-explodey type from closer than three hundred paces, but he's got his hands on both the reasons we're even here, and he's not going to come out and give them to us, so we haven't got much choice unless we want to leave empty-handed. But you still shouldn't assume he requires anything less than your best to deal with."
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

10. - Top - End - #670
    Titan in the Playground

"Agreed," Mirielle says. "This boss is a problem. He needs to either be taken somewhere for a trial, or killed in battle. You know which one I'd prefer, but if he doesn't surrender he's too dangerous to leave. If we let him be, they'll just start up again, and he'll make sure it's even harder to get rid of him than it is now."

She looks at the barely conscious blue. "What do you think? Do we need anything else from him, or do we knock him out again?"

11. - Top - End - #671
    Troll in the Playground

Keeva

Keeva loads up another bolt, considering the situation. "Well, I'd say trial. Let people know who, personally, is causin' all this trouble, aye?" she says, turning her attention to the Blue. "I say knock him out. These'uns will need a new leader, regardless of what we do with the big'un upstairs.
    Just finding my roots again.

12. - Top - End - #672
    Titan in the Playground

"Alright, that'll do. Take him alive if the opportunity shows up, but don't wait for it, 'cause that's like to get someone important killed. Let's get this over with." Heading back down the tunnel, Aya silently takes up the best position she can find with distance from and a good view of the door, then waits for the rest to get in position.

Spoiler
    Show
    Prioritizing a decent view of the inside, distance, and cover in that order when picking a spot. Hide 20, MS 20.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

13. - Top - End - #673
    Titan in the Playground

"So, no more questions for this one?" Mirielle queries one last time before rapping the blue over the head with the haft of her morningstar. She dissolves the shapesand manacles and puts the sand back into her bag.

"Before we start," she adds, "I've got something for you, Keeva." She pulls a selection of vials from her rucksack. "I assume you've seen these before? Bile droppings and slumbersand. Also, if I light this one on fire," she says, pointing to a small pot with holes in the lid and a protruding wick, "don't get in the smoke."

Spoiler
    Show
    Nonlethal damage to the Blue; enough to knock him out and then some. Giving two vials of bile droppings and two vials of slumbersand to Keeva.

14. - Top - End - #674
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Magnus, near the door Aya heard voices at

Magnus looks at the others for confirmation that everyone's in position. Once everyone gives a signal that they're ready, Magnus will sheathe his weapon, draw out a tanglefoot bag, and proceed to open the door. If it appears to be stuck, jammed, barred, or locked, he will attempt to force it open.

Spoiler
    Show
    Str check if needed: (1d20+3)[10]
    All of this has happened before...
    and all of this will happen again.

Moving. Internet access is a bit spotty.

15. - Top - End - #675
    Titan in the Playground

Mirielle bows her head slightly, and as she supplicates Kelemvor that he might speed her movement her legs shimmer slightly. She signals to Magnus that she's ready.

Spoiler
    Show
    Mirielle is somewhere just out of sight of goblins inside the door; probably 30 ft to the side.

16. - Top - End - #676
    Troll in the Playground

Keeva

Keeva takes the items, her focus on the sand. "Slumbersand? How far does one come from to have this much power of the desert, hmm?" She says, holding the vial in front of her face. She settles it in her left, as she settles her crossbow in her right. She takes a position a few feet behind Mirelle.
    Last edited by Cardea; 2012-05-29 at 08:19 PM.

17. - Top - End - #677
    Titan in the Playground

The massive double door doesn't give an inch to the smith's attempt at opening it; it seems to be barred from the other side and will likely require a sizable amount of brute force to be opened.
    Actually, when you first put up the post where the gazebo started trying to eat us, I assumed you were pulling our legs and you'd put up the real post soon enough.

18. - Top - End - #678
    Titan in the Playground

"You want some help?" Mirielle asks Magnus, as quietly as she can manage. She reaches into her bag and grabs a handful of sand, which she quickly shapes into a crowbar.

Spoiler
    Show
    Shapesand rolls (DC 16): (1d20+3)[16] <= First try! (1d20+3)[5] (1d20+3)[10] (1d20+3)[19] (1d20+3)[11]

Aid another rolls, if Magnus agrees: (1d20+2)[17] (1d20+2)[20] (1d20+2)[7] (1d20+2)[12] (1d20+2)[8]
    So +2 on the 1st, 2nd, and 4th attempts, and +2 from the crowbar.
    Last edited by Jeff the Green; 2012-05-30 at 03:59 AM.

19. - Top - End - #679
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Magnus

Magnus unreadies his shield, and smiles, pulling a crowbar out of his backpack, as Mirielle begins shaping her sand. He does nod at the offer for help, though.

Further attempts to open:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Str 1:(1d20+7)[27]
    Str 2: (1d20+7)[15]
    Str 3: (1d20+5)[8]
    Str 4: (1d20+7)[16]

EDIT: If Roll 1 don't do it, then I think we'll need to rethink the strategy, lol
    Last edited by candycorn; 2012-05-30 at 10:28 AM.

20. - Top - End - #680
    Titan in the Playground

With a sudden burst of strength Magnus utterly shatters the wooden beam blocking the double door, throwing it wide open. This reveals a room widening into a roughly square space some 20 feet after the door, which seems to be the study of the Blue kabal judging from the shelves and an ornate desk that seems to serve both liturgical and erudite purposes. A bugbear and a goblin, both in wellcrafted plate, the first wielding a glaive and the second a falchion, block the way into the room proper, where another common goblin in grey robes and two Blues await, one of them the obvious leader judging from the questioning looks the others give him. This leader seems for a moment quite shocked how quickly the door was breached and desists from performing the incantation he was about to use, instead addressing the intruders. "Hold! Far you've come, but no more. Other Blue elsewhere can hear everything I say. Leave, or I give signal and villages will suffer thirst and despair."

Spoiler
    Show

well, the plan was to buff soon as you start bashing the door. You cut that quite short.

Once either side initiates combat everyone acts in initiative. Being the first to make a move gives no advantage in the order; I won't penalize you for talking a bit instead of just jumping them.

21. - Top - End - #681
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Magnus

Magnus strides forward, shaking his head, sadly. "You realize, with such talk, you confirm everything we've suspected? You live from the extortion of others. We shall not be extorted. I will promise you this. If you give that signal, none of you will leave this room alive. Not one. I will personally slit the throats of anyone lucky enough to not die outright, as justice for the suffering you caused others. If you wish to bargain for the right to continue breathing, then abandon your foolish attempts to frighten us, and get right to the part where you surrender."

Spoiler
    Show
    Stepping forward to L6. Also placing my crowbar back into my pack while I speak.
    Last edited by candycorn; 2012-05-30 at 12:03 PM.

22. - Top - End - #682
    Titan in the Playground

"Confident one, I see", the Blue answers with a toothy grin. "Don't be so quick to assume you'll win. And neither to call injustice. The water never belonged to the villages. Water flows from mountain, mountain belongs to orcs, orcs allowed goblins to use water, goblins sell water to humans. All fair. You want no more suffering, then leave, and so will I, find new tribe after you decimated this one. But make move on me and the people you claim to protect will pay the price."

23. - Top - End - #683
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Magnus's face is set in stone, as he replies to the goblin's absurd claims.

"One way or another, you will answer for your deeds. The water does not belong to the village, but neither does it belong to the goblins. It belongs to no man. The gods meant it to flow from the mountains, and thus, it does. You claim that which you do not own, to steal that which you do not have.

But honestly? That wasn't even the biggest issue. You threatened the lives of those villagers, earlier, and again now. Your tribe attempted to make good on that threat, and as a leader of that tribe, you bear responsibility for that. You will answer for the attempted murder of every villager below. Your only choice is whether or not you will be alive when you do.

There will be no new tribe. Not until justice has been executed. There are but a few of us, and we have captured or killed everyone outside this door. Did more than half your tribe's power cower in here whilst we slaughtered your kin? Did you think you would not have made a difference? If so, then I share your view. Don't throw away your life, and the lives of your tribesmen here. Lay down your arms and surrender.
    "

24. - Top - End - #684
    Titan in the Playground

The goblin sighes in exasperation. "Oh, damn you thickheaded fools. Belong this, justice that, yadda yadda. So much talk, yet you don't seem to care that the people you supposedly defend will suffer unless you leave. Did it get through now? You leave, or people will die! Not as fast since you took the dam, but that wasn't my only card.

Listen up, foolish human"
    the Blue continues with a condescending smirk. "For a fool you are, never wondering where all the water did go, why the dam didn't overflow. All it needed was a bit of tunneling. We have a second dam, leading straight into the Down Below. It doesn't have the same bang as flooding a village, but still, you won't get it fixed fast enough for the harvest, much of their livestock and maybe some of the... little ones as well."

He enters a defensive stance, and the other goblins follow suit. "So you want to finish this once and for all, show me what you got. But know the price if you do!"
    Last edited by TheFallenOne; 2012-05-31 at 02:52 PM.

25. - Top - End - #685
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Magnus's eyes take a hard glint. "We will not be responsible for your reprehensible deeds. If you condemn villagers below, then the burden for that rests with you. Not us. If you attempt to tug at my heartstrings, to get me to spare your wretched lives, then you forget that I can see a bigger picture, and think not of where the water goes, but of where you will. Just as the water brings life, you bring suffering where you go. And if we don't stop you here, you will just bring it elsewhere. Were I to let that happen, then I would be responsible for every crime you committed hereafter. Your actions are your own, as is the responsibility for them. If you drain your second dam, it will cause suffering, true. But if you are stopped, here and now, it will be the last suffering you cause. Just remember, when the minions that shield you are dead, and you are bleeding on the ground... I offered you your life. Seek mercy from your god, you will find no more from me. Send your message to your lackeys. Perhaps they shall hear your screams through that link, and reconsider."

At this, Magnus readies his heavy shield, convinced that there is no further point in talking.

26. - Top - End - #686
    Titan in the Playground

Bad. Bad bad bad. Crap.

No, wait. I can fix this! Kelemvor help me.

Without waiting for the terroristic blue to respond to Magnus, Mirielle moves forward, drawing the lasso from her belt. She says a brief incantation and a glowing sword appears behind the leader. It slashes at him, and Mirielle retreats slightly.

Spoiler
    Show
    Move to L5, drawing shapesand lasso.
    Cast spiritual weapon on the leader (I assume B?)
    Attack: (1d20+5)[15]
    Damage: (1d8+1)[2]
    Swift action move to M5.

27. - Top - End - #687
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Jorran had been itching to end this little altercation, and now was the chance. "So be it, goblin. By the Bitch Queen, the rivers you divert will not help your corpse." All had been said, it was time for action again. Charging past Magnus and Mirielle, Jorran rushed at the bugbear blocking the room. Drawing his sword mid-stride, he slashed down at the bugbear.

Spoiler
    Show
    Ferocity right away. That modifies my initiative by +2, making it +7.
    Then, draw sword and charge R. Power Attack for 2.
    Attack: (1d20+9)[18]
    Damage: (2d6+11)[23]

I know I didn't specify location on the map before this, and that's why I chose R to charge. Pretty sure that charge lane is open. Either way, end in K7.
    Frog in the playground.

I have Str 5!

28. - Top - End - #688
    Titan in the Playground

The negotiations end with Magnus's final rebuttal, and both Jorran and Mirielle open hostilities with spell and blade. The goblins react immediately, and their leader gives an angry command in his native tongue. It may have been 'Attack!', 'Kill them!' or something else along those lines; the content is rather clear from context.

Spoiler
    Show
    as said, everyone acts on initiative no matter who makes the first move

Jorran 24
    Keeva 20
    Mirielle 15
    Goblins 8
    Magnus 8
    Aya 7

need action from Keeva

29. - Top - End - #689
    Troll in the Playground

Keeva

"This day keeps getting more and more drastic, doesn't it?" Keeva says, moving up with Jorran. She looks at the goblin in the robes, holding the sand ready.

Spoiler
    Show
    Moving to L7.

So, if I can hit the [C] goblin, I'm going to hit him. Otherwise, throwing it at . Either way, IoP on myself, adding it to my attack roll. There's no splash. If it hits, DC 15 Fortitude Save or asleep for one minute.

Dear Oghma, roll a one, Goblin.

Attack: (1d20+9)[10]
    Edit: Oh fffffuuuuuuu
    Last edited by Cardea; 2012-06-01 at 07:56 AM.

30. - Top - End - #690
    Titan in the Playground

Before anyone else can so much as lift a finger, Jorran bounds the short distance to the bugbear, bringing him down with a single overwhelming cut right through his collarbone. He soon notices though that this made him a target in light of Mirielle's and Keeva's less successful attacks, and the robed goblin casts a spell to strike fear in his heart. Their leader shoots a burst of electricity from each of his outstretched hands, directing them at Keeva and Magnus, while the other Blue summons a now familiar slippery goo beneath your feet, with the final goblin blocking the way to the casters.

Spoiler
    Show

C: Cause Fear on Jorran, DC 13. duration - (1d4)[4]

B:
    ranged touch Keeva - (1d20+10)[23] damage - (4d6)[11]
    ranged touch Keeva - (1d20+10)[12] damage - (4d6)[16] pierce SR - (1d20+8)[22]

B2: Psionic Grease on K6/L7. Reflex 14 for all in area

F: attack Jorran - (1d20+8)[13] (2d3+3)[5]