New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 26 of 50 FirstFirst ... 161718192021222324252627282930313233343536 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #751
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Madness, Blood and Thunder in Ravens Bluff IC

"He's leaving. You can follow the angry armoursmith." Aya waves a hand in the direction of the exit, rising lazily. "But no need to run off and get your head exploded, yes? You just came back."
    Wriggle avatar by memnarch.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

2. - Top - End - #752
    Titan in the Playground

Mirielle tilts her head slightly as she looks at Aya. Suddenly something clicks.

"Damn. I really should have waited to put those wards on you." She clutches her aching head. "Ugh. How did Magnus manage to hit me instead of the psion?"
    Author of The Auspician's Handbook and The Tempestarian's Handbook for Spheres of Power.
    Ask me (or the other authors) anything.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lateral View Post
    Well, of course I'm paranoid about everything. Hell, with Jeff as DM, I'd be paranoid even if we were playing a game set in The Magic Kiddie Funland of Perfectly Flat Planes and Sugar Plums.
    Greenman by Bradakhan/Spring Greenman by Comissar/Autumn Greenman by Sgt. Pepper/Winter Greenman by gurgleflep

3. - Top - End - #753
    Titan in the Playground

Magnus gives the fleeing goblin a parting blow, but his heavy armor prevents him from keeping up. The little creature laughs derisively, gleeful to have come out of this alive... And runs right into Jorran's sword, who prepared an ambush behind one of the pillars, witnessing scene from afar. The brutal strike fails to cut through the strong metal of his armor, but the loose chains do little to soften the raw impact, and the psion's chest is crushed into a messy pulp of blood, flesh and broken bones.

Spoiler
    Show
    had to Godmod from here, as you could't get him anymore, already in total darkness.
    Last edited by TheFallenOne; 2012-06-06 at 11:21 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff the Green View Post
    Actually, when you first put up the post where the gazebo started trying to eat us, I assumed you were pulling our legs and you'd put up the real post soon enough.

4. - Top - End - #754
    Titan in the Playground

"He didn't, as far as I could see, but you went down all the same. The blue did something to you, I assume, but it seems to be gone now." Aya shakes her head. "See, this is why I didn't want to have this fight at close range. Out-of-control arcanists are bad enough; mental tricks I'm not familiar with are worse."
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

5. - Top - End - #755
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Magnus returns to the group. "Yes, but the fight is over now, so we can chalk this up to a learning experience. More pressing concerns, I'd wager, are finding the goblin spoils, examining the dam to see if we can get water flowing safely, and checking the veracity of the blue's threat. The goblins needed to be stopped, but I intend to see the hamlets below put aright. Any objections to this? Is there anything else we need to do?"
    All of this has happened before...
    and all of this will happen again.

Moving. Internet access is a bit spotty.

6. - Top - End - #756
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Having passed by the orcs, Jorran continued hustling back into the cave. His comrades might still have been fighting, and the goblin was obviously formidable. Then he noted a sudden smell, coming straight for him. It was a goblin smell, and the creature was too focused on running away from the others to notice him in time. Waiting for the right moment, he stepped in front of the goblin just as it tried to run towards the entrance, sword prepared in a stance.

Though the strike did not land directly edge-on, the goblin was already injured and the sheer force of the blow was sufficient anyway. Jorran moved out of his fighting stance as he heard the creature hit the ground, smelling the blood from his crushed body. Not yet putting away his sword, he walked over to the rest of the party.

"Sorry about that." Jorran normally wouldn't have been one to apologize, but he felt like his unusual behavior needed some explaining away. "I think that goblin was a mage or somesuch." He said, before continuing in a mutter. "Not like me at all..."
    Frog in the playground.

My homebrewer's extended signature.

I have Str 5!

Quote Originally Posted by BobVosh View Post
    Wall of text attacks! CRITS!

7. - Top - End - #757
    Titan in the Playground

Cleaning her blade with a fallen goblin's cloak, Aya sheathes it and moves to examine the room's contents. "Well, they probably kept a bit of it in here. Given that those orcs came from below, and the blue spoke of getting permission, that's probably not goblin territory down there."

Spoiler
    Show
    Let's see if we can find that money.
    Search: (1d20+5)[6]

...really, why did I bother rolling? Just take 10 or something...
    Last edited by Sallera; 2012-06-06 at 12:31 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

8. - Top - End - #758
    Titan in the Playground

Keeva's examination reveals the goblins' leadership had a decent asortment of magical items, and in various chests and grates you find other valuables as well. There's a good amount of copper, silver, gold and lesser pieces of jewelry, likely much of it taken from the villagers, but also some gems. Most impressive of those is a gem called Beljuril, green and occasionally sparkling with a flashing light; it alone should be worth several thousand gold pieces. On the table you find some parchments with research notes and the shelves are filled with books, almost exclusively about psionics and construction, with two tomes about religion and customs thrown in.

Spoiler
    Show
    I'm assuming you pause to identify the stuff. Just more convenient
    and faster than describing what you find, then what Detect Magic shows as magical, then what the monocle reveals...

Leader had
    small mithral chainshirt +1
    Gloves of Fortunate Striking MIC 105
    Ring of Communication MIC 122
    Lesser Crystal of Glancing Blows MIC 25
    Amulet of Tears MIC 70

B2
    masterwork studded leather
    potion Shield of Faith

F
    small MW breastplate
    small MW falchion
    potion Cure Moderate Wounds

R
    MW glaive
    MW breastplate
    Brute Gauntlets MIC 83

C
    Wand of Cure Light Wounds, 17 charges
    Amulet of Retributive Healing MIC 69

somewhere between 8000 and 10000 gold in valuables
    Actually, when you first put up the post where the gazebo started trying to eat us, I assumed you were pulling our legs and you'd put up the real post soon enough.

9. - Top - End - #759
    Troll in the Playground

Keeva

Keeva sighs as the battle comes to a close, and begins looking over all the things recovered. After going through them all, she holds the Ring of Communication in her hand, spinning it in her fingers, as she looks over the research notes and construction. "Funny thing now, eh? When that Blue was talkin' about some other forces... I don't think he was entirely bluffin'. This ring here is probably attuned to someone who has a similar ring, for him to give orders to. Meaning they're within a mile, or not long out of it."

Spoiler
    Show
    Knowledge: Architecture and Engineering: (1d20+10)[26]

Looking for anything that's been high-lighted/bookmarked/noted for interest between things in the construction books and the research notes. Also going to see if I understand whats on the Research Notes.
    Just finding my roots again.

10. - Top - End - #760
    Titan in the Playground

Mirielle circles around her companions, doling out healing as necessary. "True," she replies to Keeva, "though I doubt they're much of a real danger. They apparently were supposed to sabotage the second dam so the reservoir drains." She smiles in spite of himself. "Not much of a threat, actually. It's nearly harvest, and the villagers won't have been irrigating for a few weeks now. It doesn't do to have the fields full of muck when you're trying to reap the grain. We'll have to do something about the drain, but I think I can take care of that. I'll need to buy a lead belt, though."

While Keeva looks over the research notes, Mirielle turns to the writings on her specialty.

Spoiler
    Show
    Hopefully the religious writings are in common. Let's see what I can glean.

Knowledge (religion) if necessary: (1d20+7)[17]
    Last edited by Jeff the Green; 2012-06-06 at 06:40 PM.
    Author of The Auspician's Handbook and The Tempestarian's Handbook for Spheres of Power.
    Well, of course I'm paranoid about everything. Hell, with Jeff as DM, I'd be paranoid even if we were playing a game set in The Magic Kiddie Funland of Perfectly Flat Planes and Sugar Plums.
    Greenman by Bradakhan/Spring Greenman by Comissar/Autumn Greenman by Sgt. Pepper/Winter Greenman by gurgleflep

11. - Top - End - #761
    Titan in the Playground

The research notes are in goblin and thus illegible to you, though they feature a number of complicated patterns the sense of which you fail you decipher as well. Their books on construction show signs of heavy use, featuring markings, corrections and marginalia in goblin all over the place, though a section on calculating water pressure is bookmarked. The religious book turns out to be 'Gods of the Realm', a standard from before the Time of Troubles written in Cormyr, with another 90 pages in goblin added in the end, the whole thing rebound with a wooden cover bound in leather.
    Last edited by TheFallenOne; 2012-06-07 at 04:55 AM.

12. - Top - End - #762
    Titan in the Playground

Aya flips through a few of the tomes on psionics while Keeva studies the items; it certainly wouldn't hurt her to have a couple more relevant facts stored away. "Well, if they're within a mile, we might be able to find them without too much trouble. We've got the river as a guide, after all. That ring let you listen to them, or just give orders?"

Snapping the final book shut, she places it back on the shelf. "Either way, we've got what we came for, so let's get out of here before more of those orcs show up and decide the rent's come due. We can get a safe distance away and rest for the night, then deal with the dams in the morning. Or is this a project that's going to take you more time, Miri?"

Spoiler
    Show
    Knowledge: Psionics, on the off chance there's something useful in there. Mostly just keeping up on the Dilettante score.

(1d20+3)[18]
    Last edited by Sallera; 2012-06-07 at 08:35 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

13. - Top - End - #763
    Troll in the Playground

Keeva

"Sort of. Its pretty damn specific: you can hear whatever the owner of the other ring says, and they can hear anything you say. So if you want to try an' talk with 'em, put it on, I 'spose." Keeva says, putting the ring back down on the table. "I say we go get the other one, t'be honest. That kind of thing would help us out to just... y'know... stay in touch, while in the city? We can prob'ly find someone who can make a couple more for us. That kind'of magic is a bit too... advanced, for me, currently.

"On a cheerier note, anyone mind if I take the crystal? I'm not great in combat as it is, and I ain' got the upper body strength like the rest of you."

Spoiler
    Show
    Putting Architecture-relevant material in inventory.

14. - Top - End - #764
    Titan in the Playground

Mirielle goes through the library, taking as many books as she can fit in her sack. "Yeah, it'll take a while," she replies to Aya. "The magic is a bit beyond me at the moment, but a month or so of study should remedy that. Basically the plan is to dive down there and shape the rock to fill in the hole. I'll need to make a trip back out here and have someone at the surface with a rope to keep me safe, but nothing like this adventure."

She thinks for a moment. "Of course, it might be that we can avoid all that if we can figure out these notes. I should be able to translate them this evening once I can draw on a little divine inspiration."

Spoiler
    Show
    So I definitely want to take any of the notes and the technical stuff Keeva isn't taking. I'll also take the religious book and anything else that Mirielle's unfamiliar with.

15. - Top - End - #765
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Magnus sighs. "If we cannot make sense of these books quickly, then let us gather them, and be off to somewhere less hostile. All dallying here accomplishes is risking our lives for naught."

16. - Top - End - #766
    Titan in the Playground

"Agreed," Mirielle responds before pouring the rest of the books into her sack. "As glad as I am to have that psion dead, I'd rather not have a vengeful teenage goblin braining me while I sleep. Though given his reaction to that little speech of mine, he probably wouldn't hesitate to do it while I'm awake, either."

17. - Top - End - #767
    Titan in the Playground

"Let's get a half-mile or so away and set up a watch, then. We can start heading back to Ravens Bluff in the morning." Aya takes the ring, although she doesn't put it on just yet. "I'll wear this when I'm watching; long as I stay quiet, I might pick up something from the other end."
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

18. - Top - End - #768
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

"Well then, let's be about it. May as well iron out details while we walk." With that, Magnus finishes gathering the goblin gear and begins walking.

19. - Top - End - #769
    Titan in the Playground

You leave the cave without further interruption, stepping into the night air with Mirielle's shining armor keeping the darkness at bay. Setting up a camp still in the vicinity of the cave, Aya hears a voice through the connection of the ring, about an hour after your departure. The language barrier prevents her from understanding the words, though the first part seems to be a short question, followed by a brief pause, then another sentence followed by a rather long pause. Finally, the voice speaks one last time with a resigned sigh.

20. - Top - End - #770
    Titan in the Playground

Of course, they would be using that jabbertongue. But now we've narrowed the search area, at least. After four hours, Aya removes the ring and prods Magnus awake.

"Heard something from the other end, so we know they're no further than a half-mile upstream from the dam, assuming they're along the river somewhere. Don't know what they said, so I'm not sure how much they've realized, but they probably know he didn't get away." Tossing the ring to Magnus, she yawns and flicks her cloak. "Hirogete." Detaching itself, the fabric floats a foot away before unfolding itself into a small tent. "Keep an eye out, yeah? They might still be inclined to look around for us."
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

21. - Top - End - #771
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Magnus, campsite

Magnus grunts, rolling out of bed and armoring up. "Understood. They did have friends, and those friends know their ally isn't in a position to talk. I'll keep an eye out." With that, Magnus starts keeping an eye out, careful to stay in the firelight.

22. - Top - End - #772
    Titan in the Playground

After some much-needed rest, a new day dawns over the mountains, and fresh autumn breeze reminds everyone but Aya that summer is past. No one disturbed you in your sleep, though the light of day reveals that the goblins didn't stay inactive. The signs are subtle and hard to make out at this distance - the ruins of the burned down barricade are moved aside, and high grass to the south of thr cave looks disbturbed like many people passed through it. The goblins stole away in the night, and their exodus remained unnoticed.

23. - Top - End - #773
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Magnus shrugs at the exodus, unconcerned with the exodus of the noncombatants. "Let's get a move on. We've got a village to inform, and a city to get some magic from, so that we may fix this water issue."

24. - Top - End - #774
    Titan in the Playground

Breaking her fast with tea and a mixture of dried oats and berries, Aya nods. "Not to mention our pay to sort out. This much coin ought to last us a while, at least. Better than I was expecting, to be honest."
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

25. - Top - End - #775
    Troll in the Playground

Keeva

Keeva wakes up slowly, and gathers up her belongings quickly. Her morning meal consists of an apple and some water. "This definitely isn't the kind of work I was 'spectin' to do when I got to the Bluff. Least its all windin' down though, aye?"

26. - Top - End - #776
    Titan in the Playground

"Now you're just tempting fate." Aya grins, tucking away her flask. "But yes, this ought to be enough to let us all spend some time on our own work."
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

27. - Top - End - #777
    Titan in the Playground

Mirielle breaks down her tent and stuffs it in her sack before breakfast. "Yes, I'll be glad to have the free time to do a bit of research," she says. "I do wish we could have sorted out the leaders before we left, but I doubt they'll be back after the thrashing we gave them."

Pulling a chunk of honeyed oat bread and some cheese out of a pocket and sitting on a convenient rock, she turns to Keeva. "I know you're keen on fiddling with some of that loot," she says, "but I might have a better idea. Or at least a more profitable one. I still have some friends of my parents' that I keep in contact with that do business in the city, and they have friends and partners in just about every business in the sea of fallen stars. I should be able to get a good price, even for the smaller weapons and bits of armor. I'll charge, a bit, for the time it'll take me, but it will still end up being more than you'd get just selling it to a lazy blacksmith." She takes a bite of the cheese. "If any of you have something big you want to buy," she says through a full mouth, "I might be able to find it cheeper than normal while I'm at it."

Spoiler
    Show
    Mercantile Background gives 75% rather than 50%. I'll charge 15% of that extra 25%, for a total of 5% of the sale price.

And I can get any one item for 75% of normal retail once a week. I'm going to get a MW quarterstaff with two wand chambers, but I don't think anything else right away, so if you want something >500 GP I can get it for you. I'll charge 20% of the discount, so you'll pay 80% of normal price.

28. - Top - End - #778
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

"Looks like they left." Jorran comments after they've woken up. "Just as well." Jorran starts eating with the others.
    Frog in the playground.

My homebrewer's extended signature.

I have Str 5!

Quote Originally Posted by BobVosh View Post
    Wall of text attacks! CRITS!

29. - Top - End - #779
    Troll in the Playground

Keeva

"Maybe. But that's how the best tales are made." Keeva says, grinning between mouthful of apples. "I hear you on the research part. If my Master knew how much time I've spent in the city without so much as pickin' up a reference to my studies, she'd have me in her archive cataloging her books."

"Well, let me put it this way. You're makin' a good deal with us for these things. Whatever you don't wind up sellin'? I mean, anythin' you can't sell? I'd like to devour. Their essence is what I need to keep my craftin' alive. And in that same vein, I do have a couple of things I need to get a hold of. I'll write 'em down and hand you a list later on."

"Though, that does remind me. Later on, we'll be back in the city and doing our own thing. Does anyone have a house? Or someplace where rent doesn't need to be paid daily?"

30. - Top - End - #780
    Titan in the Playground

Mirielle holds up a finger indicating for Keeva to wait until she's finished chewing. "Ah frenf." She stops and swallows the mouthful of cheese. "Sorry. A friend of mine set me up with some acquaintances who own apartments at various places around town. It won't be much less expensive than the Sanctuary, but it'll have more space and a kitchen of your own."