New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 50 FirstFirst 1234567891011121328 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Madness, Blood and Thunder in Ravens Bluff IC

The halfling paused, answering Magnus defensively "That stuff expires so fast it won't have any..." but he was immediately cut off by their leader after he janked out Aya's first crossbow bolt that pierced his leg armor. "Ignore their bickering, just take them down!"
    He directed another powerful swing at Magnus when he tried to stand up, and the other attacker followed suit, though a lot less vigorously after his first charge brought him a split lip and broken nose.

Spoiler
    Show
    AoOs
    (1d20+5)[21] (1d10+8)[12]
    (1d20+6)[15] (1d6)[4] crit (1d20+6)[10] (1d6)[1]

Now knowing how little effect his blade would have, the wounded man wanted to go after Jorran instead, but the ship's sideway tilt made the move more difficult and he lost a lot of time trying to avoid giving Magnus an opening.
    Meanwhile, the halfling tossed the throwing knife in his hand at Jorran with a flick of his wrist. The other two men engaged to him kept attacking, the halfelf driving both of his bladed fists forward at the bound man.
    Their leader, seeing himself caught between multiple attackers, went after Mirielle, trying to throw her off balance to deliver a powerful blow. The last man, heedful of his wounds, decided to keep his distance and fired a shot at Jorran.

Spoiler
    Show
    Sailor 1 withdraws to B2(top), avoiding AoOs
    Sailor 2 attacks Jorran attack - (1d20+7)[9] damage - (1d3+1)[3]
    Sailor 3 Improved Trip on Mirielle
    touch - (1d20+8)[13] trip - (1d20+7)[20]
    followup attack if success - (1d20+6)[19] (1d10+8)[10]
    Sailor 4 attacks Jorran
    attack - (1d20+5)[7] damage - (1d6+2)[4]
    Sailor 5 uses TWF
    attack 1 attack - (1d20+3)[12] damage - (1d4+1)[2] Sneak attack - (1d6)[6]
    attack 2 attack - (1d20+3)[19] damage - (1d4+1)[2] Sneak attack - (1d6)[3]
    Sailor 6 moves to E5, attacks Jorran
    attack - (1d20+4)[13] damage - (1d8)[3]

level ground again
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff the Green View Post
    Actually, when you first put up the post where the gazebo started trying to eat us, I assumed you were pulling our legs and you'd put up the real post soon enough.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Magnus grunts as the massive weapon landed home, but soldiered on, undaunted. He growled, "I'm not so easy to hurt when I can defend myself. Try THIS!"

Magnus swings his warhammer again, trying to connect on the armored man below. "One of you below, Flank this guy!"

Mechanic:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Timing: DR 6 reduced 12 damage hit to 6, 5 soaked into delay pool, one soaked by the Stone power Temp HP.

Attack: Vanguard Strike (1d20+8)[21] (+1 essentia, +1 high ground, +1 furious counterstrike)
    Damage: (1d8+6)[7] (+4 str, +1 essentia, +1 furious counterstrike)
    Heal Jorran for 2, if hit.
    Delay pool resolves, take 5 damage.
    End of round, cannot recover any maneuvers, gain 3 new maneuvers.
    (1d5)[5] (1d4)[4] (1d3)[2]
    Vital Recovery heals me for 7, negating all damage I just took. Current HP: 31/31 (0 nonlethal).

Vital recovery: 2+ 3 (Character level) +2 (essentia for healing effect)

EDIT: If Vanguard strike hits, next round's attacks give all allies +4 to hit the guy I struck.
    Last edited by candycorn; 2012-02-03 at 11:47 PM.
    All of this has happened before...
    and all of this will happen again.

Moving. Internet access is a bit spotty.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Titan in the Playground

Mirielle whispers a short prayer in thanks as the sailor in scale mail barely misses wrapping around her leg. Acting on the opening offered by Magnus's attack, she steps around him and swings her poker into the head sailor's torso.

Spoiler
    Show
    Five foot step to D8, attack Sailor 3: (1d20+8)[19]
    Damage: (1d4+3)[5]
    Last edited by Jeff the Green; 2012-02-03 at 11:58 PM.
    Author of The Auspician's Handbook and The Tempestarian's Handbook for Spheres of Power.
    Ask me (or the other authors) anything.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lateral View Post
    Well, of course I'm paranoid about everything. Hell, with Jeff as DM, I'd be paranoid even if we were playing a game set in The Magic Kiddie Funland of Perfectly Flat Planes and Sugar Plums.
    Greenman by Bradakhan/Spring Greenman by Comissar/Autumn Greenman by Sgt. Pepper/Winter Greenman by gurgleflep

4. - Top - End - #64
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

While Jorran still evaded everything else thrown at him, the bloody halfblood with the daggers actually managed to hurt him. Jorran raised the woodaxe above his head as its head somehow ignited. He brought it down on the half-elf in another frenzied assault.

Spoiler
    Show
    32 Hitpoints now.

Initiate Burning Blade, continue attacking the half elf.
    Attack: (1d20+1)[18]
    Damage: (1d8+7)[14]
    Fire Damage: (1d6+2)[3]

OOC: I wonder how this half-elf guy is getting SA:s on me. A flanking feat maybe?
    Frog in the playground.

My homebrewer's extended signature.

I have Str 5!

Quote Originally Posted by BobVosh View Post
    Wall of text attacks! CRITS!

5. - Top - End - #65
    Titan in the Playground

Lining up her last shot as Magnus spins the sailor around, Aya releases the bolt into his back, then tosses the empty case. I really shouldn't be complaining, but this is such a cumbersome weapon. It's a good thing that armoursmith's skills work on his own skin.

Spoiler
    Show
    Last shot for this case, at Sailor 3 again.
    Attack: (1d20+9)[18]
    Damage: (1d8+2)[3]
    Wriggle avatar by memnarch.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

6. - Top - End - #66
    Troll in the Playground

Keeva runs forward at the one of the flankers, her hand growing more and more with an orange glow. She tries to grasp one of the man's weapons as she shouts: "Inflixir danos moderados!"

Spoiler
    Show
    Move to D5, using Inflict Moderate Damage on one of the man's weapons at C5.

Opposed Attack Roll (I hope I can hit for touch with this): (1d20+2)[22]
    Damage: (2d8+3)[14]
    Just finding my roots again.

7. - Top - End - #67
    Titan in the Playground

Keeva's attempt on the weapon is blocked by the interposing stairs, but Magnus's hammer brings their leader off balance with a heavy blow, giving Mirielle an opening to strike true as well. Finally, Aya's shot pierces his shoulder and he looks close to collapsing, grabbing the stairs' railing to remain on his feet.
    When Jorran's retalatory strike suddenly was wreathed with flames the halfelf panicked, and to his ill fortune punching daggers aren't the ideal weapon for blocking. The downward swing cleanly cuts off his right hand before the axehead lodges itself in the man's chest.

At this, you hear someone cry out and the currently unengaged sailor drops his crossbow and hurries over to the fallen man, trying to stop his bleeding. Two others attacked Jorran with fury after seeing their comrade fall. The halfling joined in as well, tossing a flask at him that soon proved to be filled with sizzling acid. Their leader though took a defensive position, hoping for relief from the others instead of risking the little life left in him.

Spoiler
    Show
    Sailor 1: attack Jorran
    attack - (1d20+6)[26] (1d6)[1]
    Sailor 2: fraw acid, attack Jorran
    touch - (1d20+6)[20] [roll]1d6[roll]
    Sailor 3: total defense
    Sailor 4: attack Jorran
    attack - (1d20+5)[9] (1d6+2)[6]
    Sailor 5: bleeding
    Sailor 6: move to B2 Heal check - (1d20+2)[8]
    Jorran may take an AoO for this if he wishes

level ground again
    Actually, when you first put up the post where the gazebo started trying to eat us, I assumed you were pulling our legs and you'd put up the real post soon enough.

8. - Top - End - #68
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Magnus steels himself, resigned to the fact that none wished to meet steel with him, instead choosing to wait for the perfect moment to strike. He also looks at the armored one and speaks, "Is the fight out of you so soon? I promise you that I will do you no harm, if you but lay down arms. I have no stomach to kill every sailor on this ship; it would be difficult to dock if I did. If you force me, though, I believe I can summon the skill needed to run this ship aground near Raven's Bluff and swim to shore, if I must send you to your gods this day."

Mechanics:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Ready action: Strike the first enemy within my reach that attacks Jorran with Vanguard Strike.

New Maneuver: (1d2)[1]

9. - Top - End - #69
    Titan in the Playground

Mirielle notices the sailor's ineptitude at healing and decides to use it as a bargaining chip. "Agreed. Throw your weapons to the bottom deck and back away, and I will heal that one." Mirielle glances at her new allies. "And we promise not to harm the rest of you."

Mirielle watches the sailors nervously, readying herself to attack if they don't.

Spoiler
    Show
    Readying an action to attack the leader if any sailor attacks anyone.
    Author of The Auspician's Handbook and The Tempestarian's Handbook for Spheres of Power.
    Well, of course I'm paranoid about everything. Hell, with Jeff as DM, I'd be paranoid even if we were playing a game set in The Magic Kiddie Funland of Perfectly Flat Planes and Sugar Plums.
    Greenman by Bradakhan/Spring Greenman by Comissar/Autumn Greenman by Sgt. Pepper/Winter Greenman by gurgleflep

10. - Top - End - #70
    Titan in the Playground

"It's a fair deal, I'd say," Aya adds with a grin, reloading the crossbow with measured aplomb. "Because if you don't..." The bolt case clicks into place, and she levels the weapon at the leader's head. "...well, you're sailors. I'm sure you have a pretty good imagination."

Spoiler
    Show
    Full-round action to reload.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

11. - Top - End - #71
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    before they can react to any of this I need to see whether Jorran takes the AoO and what effect it has. Keep in mind he has to make this decision before these attempts at negotiation happen

also, skill check from Magnus. Could be either Intimidate or Diplomacy, seeing what he said... your choice
    Last edited by TheFallenOne; 2012-02-07 at 12:19 PM.

12. - Top - End - #72
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

@TFO:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Wasn't aiming to modify his attitude or actions with words, just to inform him that his situation is less than hopeful, and provide him with a way out that keeps him breathing. The total defense action already told me he was worried about his life, and keeping it.

However, if a skill check need be made for it, Intimidate: (1d20-1)[0]

13. - Top - End - #73
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    I generally give greater weight to what was said than to the skill roll. The latter mostly determines how well things were delivered.

14. - Top - End - #74
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Jorran narrowly avoids a telling hit, getting a minor graze for his efforts. The acid hits him, but the pain is dulled. He notices undefended movement by the side, and takes another swing, this time at the sailor trying to heal his companion.

He very nearly continues his assault as the others try to end the fight, but keeps himself in check. He keeps the axe ready to strike, keeping guard against the man with the shortsword.

Spoiler
    Show
    The AOO happens before any negotiation starts.

AOO Attack: (1d20+1)[19]
    Damage: (1d8+7)[15]

Ready action to axe Sailor #1 if the offer to surrender is not accepted and the fight continues.
    Frog in the playground.

I have Str 5!

15. - Top - End - #75
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    well, rarely you fell bad about scoring a max damage hit... That was the one previously wounded by the crossbow, the axeblow kills him instantly

Jorran's axe cuts through the man's belly, severing his spine judging from the weird angle his body has when he hit the deck. The others pause in shock, and any attempt at negotiation falls on deaf ears. "He killed Karl and Miron! Screw Asam's orders, gut them!" the one in front of Jorran calls out.

Spoiler
    Show
    it is difficult to judge if the first one down is indeed dead without taking time to examine him. What is clear is that the blow is fatal if he isn't healed very soon

Keeva still missing. The rest can resolve their readied actions as they will continue the fight

16. - Top - End - #76
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

"You feel free to give that a try." Jorran brings his axe down immediately, utilizing the same overhead swing that so easily cut down the half-elf.

Spoiler
    Show
    Attack: (1d20+1)[21]
    Damage: (1d8+7)[14]
    Frog in the playground.

I have Str 5!

17. - Top - End - #77
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Well, bugger that. Attacking sailor 3.
    Attack: (1d20+4)[17]
    Damage: (1d4+3)[6]

Edit: A swing and a miss.
    Last edited by Jeff the Green; 2012-02-08 at 01:25 PM.

18. - Top - End - #78
    Titan in the Playground

Jorran nearly eviscerates yet another sailor but the dull axe fails to penetrate the reinforced leather armor, though the impact still audibly breaks several bones.
    All three men attack Jorran and Magnus furiously, heedless of their bad chances in their anger. The halfling, meanwhile, advances to the left of the stairs and seeing the little effect corporal punishment had on Magnus, he instead tried a bag that exploded with sticky liquid when it burst.

Spoiler
    Show
    Sailor 1: attack Jorran
    attack (1d20+6)[15] (1d6)[4]
    Sailor 2: move to A3(top), toss tangle bad at Magnus
    touch - (1d20+4)[14] you get +4 cover AC
    Sailor 3: trip Magnus
    touch - (1d20+8)[14] trip - (1d20+7)[19]
    followup - (1d20+6)[26] (1d10+8)[16]
    Sailor 4: attack Jorran
    attack - (1d20+5)[24] (1d6+2)[5]

Keeva delayed and is now at the top of the initiative order

19. - Top - End - #79
    Troll in the Playground

Keeva moves over to the side of the stairs, casting her next infusion, praying this next one does something. "Inflixir danos luz."

Spoiler
    Show
    Casting Inflict Light Damage on the 'ceiling'. Its the floor to the Sailor at B6.
    Attack, if needed: (1d20+2)[12]
    Damage: (1d8+3)[7]

20. - Top - End - #80
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Jorran flinched from his wounds. The fury of his enemies had given them clarity, and they cut him with surprising accuracy. By now, Jorran was visibly injured and bleeding. The cutlass in particular had left a wide gash in his side. But Jorran had already cut down two, and he could repeat that performance. He swung again at the already injured man, hoping to take him down.

Spoiler
    Show
    HP: 15 now

Attack: (1d20+1)[4]
    Damage: (1d8+7)[15]
    Last edited by Frog Dragon; 2012-02-09 at 12:51 PM.
    Frog in the playground.

I have Str 5!

21. - Top - End - #81
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Magnus sees his opening, as the first sailor takes aim at Jorran, and brings his hammer around in a swift backhand. He then ducks a tanglefoot bag, and attempts to keep his feet, amidst the tilting ship, and the near constant weapon hooking at his leg. He fails to do so, and as he falls on his back, he takes a vicious followup blow, tearing through his defenses...

Readied action:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Attack: (1d20+6)[14]
    Damage: (1d8+5)[7]
    If hit, all allies get +4 to hit sailor 1, and Jorran heals 2.

Trip resist: (1d20+3)[9]

Failed, take 27 damage from crit, -5 in delay pool, -6 from DR.

Current: 15/31, 5/5 delay pool

And if I'd had my armor, that would have only been a 5 damage hit, after my DR and delay pool. As is, it's a 16 damage hit, after both.
    Last edited by candycorn; 2012-02-09 at 11:52 AM.

22. - Top - End - #82
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Magnus steadies himself, and attempts to regain his feet, heedless of the openings he provides. "Suit yourselves. After I feed your corpses to the sea, I'll run this boat into the ground. Your life's work shall be undone in five minutes."

He then takes aim at the tripper, attempting to bring him down quickly.

Mechanics:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Stand, provoking AoOs.
    Crusader Strike on Tripper.

Attack:(1d20+8)[27] (+3 str, +2 bab, +1 high ground, +1 furious counterstrike, +1 essentia in Incarnate weapon)
    Damage: (1d8+6)[11]
    If hit, self-heal (1d6+10)[16] (1d6+2 Crusader strike + 3 therapeutic mantle, + 2 Martial Spirit, +3 therapeutic mantle)

If crit threat: (1d20+8)[28]
    Additional damage, if needed: (2d8+12)[17]

EDIT:

Spoiler
    Show
    Not counting AoO's provoked:
    HP: 26/31, delay pool 0.
    Last edited by candycorn; 2012-02-09 at 11:54 AM.

23. - Top - End - #83
    Titan in the Playground

Glaring at the sailor bedeviling Magnus, Aya shifts her aim to his head. Rrgh... I wanted to save some ammo, but I can't let the armoursmith get squished. Surely I can't miss too much at this range, even with this cursed crossbow.

Loosing a shot at the back of his head, she deliberately jerks her aim down to his shoulderblades for the second, trying to compensate for the recoil.

Spoiler
    Show
    Rapid Shot at Sailor 3.
    Attack 1: (1d20+3)[4]
    Damage: (1d8+2)[10]

Attack 2: (1d20+3)[17]
    Damage: (1d8+2)[8]
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

24. - Top - End - #84
    Titan in the Playground

"Idiots," Mirielle mutters. "Well, you better be ready to stand before the Crystal Spire."

Mirielle shakes her head to dispel her regret and pity, and takes another swing at the leader.

Spoiler
    Show
    Attack: (1d20+4)[7]
    Damage: (1d4+5)[8]

Edit: I don't think I've had an encounter with rolls this bad since middle school.
    Last edited by Jeff the Green; 2012-02-09 at 02:10 PM.

25. - Top - End - #85
    Titan in the Playground

Keeva produces cracks in the wood above her, but it's still sturdy enough to give the sailors on top solid ground. Aya's shots missed their intended target when the leader bent forward for a powerful swing aimed at Magnus as he tried to regain his feet. But all this did was giving him one second longer to live, as Magnus's retalatory strike hit him squarely on the head and caved his skull in with a sickening crunch. The two men fighting Jorran keep going at him in futile desperation, but the halfling seems to realize the fight is lost. Measuring the distance to the stairs in the back, he decides to go to the closer door instead, but finds it locked and hammers against it with his small fists, pleading to be let in.

Spoiler
    Show
    AoOs on Magnus
    (1d20+5)[19] (1d6+2)[5]
    (1d20+6)[21] (1d10+8)[18]

attacks on Jorran
    (1d20+6)[9] (1d6)[6]
    (1d20+5)[14] (1d6+2)[8]

26. - Top - End - #86
    Troll in the Playground

Keeva braces herself for the fall, and commits her energy to fractures and cracks one last time. "Inflixir danos luz."

Spoiler
    Show
    On the floorboards of B6 still. I'm at B5.
    Attack Roll: (1d20+2)[6]
    Damage: (1d8+3)[8]

27. - Top - End - #87
    Titan in the Playground

Okay, so apparently he's not that easy to squish. If I ever need to fight him, I'll have to make sure to dump him in a pit or something first. Hopping off the crate, Aya pulls the poker from her belt. "Head down again, armoursmith."

Flipping it around for a better grip, she swings sidehand, sending the metal bar spinning up the stairs toward the injured sailor.

Spoiler
    Show
    With Precise Shot and Far Shot, this actually has almost the same chances of hitting, and I want to save ammo.

5ft step to E7, draw poker, throw at Sailor... whichever that is. The one Jorran's been swinging at.
    Attack: (1d20+4)[10]
    Damage: (1d4+3)[5]
    Last edited by Sallera; 2012-02-09 at 04:54 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

28. - Top - End - #88
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Spoiler
    Show
    Since I activated my ferocity during the opponents' turn, I imagine it also ends during the opponents' turn. That means I have 2 more rounds of raging left.

This time, Jorran deftly evades the attacks directed at him. He pulls back on his footing, axe at the ready. "Regrets?" Jorran quipped, mustering his most vicious tone. He put his weight behind a two handed diagonal axeblow, trying take down the already injured sailor.

Spoiler
    Show
    Attack Sailor 1: (1d20+1)[12]
    Damage: (1d8+7)[8]
    Frog in the playground.

I have Str 5!

29. - Top - End - #89
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Magnus shakes his bloody head, to clear it from the last flailing he received, ducking as a poker whizzes past his head, before pointing at Jorran and speaking, "You! Stop playing with that woodcutter's toy! There's a perfectly good flail that this one won't need anymore. And as for you, halfling... It seems your friends abandoned you. I will spare your life, but only if you lay down arms NOW and face that wall, with hands above your head."

Magnus then steps forward, and brings his weapon to bear on the next sailor.

Mechanics:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Leading the charge, on the nearest sailor.

Attack: (1d20+6)[25]
    Damage: (1d8+5)[6]
    If I hit, all allies get +4 to hit this one, and I heal 5.

Current life: 19/31, 0/5 in damage pool

End of turn, recover maneuvers.

(1d5)[1], (1d4)[1], (1d3)[2]
    Last edited by candycorn; 2012-02-10 at 05:28 AM.

30. - Top - End - #90
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Going to assume I delayed until after the sailors and am now first in initiative.

Mirielle feels a brief exultation as the leader drops, but then chastises herself. Stop that. It wasn't his time any more than it's yours.

Shaking her head, she calls upon Kelemvor to quicken her steps and dashes up the stairs, around the sailors attacking Jorran, and drives her poker hard into the back of the sword-wielding sailor's skull.

Spoiler
    Show
    Travel devotion + move to A1 (top), avoiding AoOs, attack sailor 1.
    Attack: (1d20+4)[24]
    Damage: (1d4+5)[8]
    Edit: Critical hit, total of 38 damage
    Last edited by Jeff the Green; 2012-02-10 at 02:03 PM.