Page 32 of 50 FirstFirst ... 7222324252627282930313233343536373839404142 ... LastLast
Results 931 to 960 of 1493
  1. - Top - End - #931
    Titan in the Playground
     
    TheFallenOne's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Heidelberg, Germany
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Madness, Blood and Thunder in Ravens Bluff IC

    Bitterstone

    The sword strikes true, catching Jorran's attacker with a diagonal cut across the chest, but not deep enough to finish him. The now parted shirt reveals a body covered with countless scars from blade, fire and else. Only staggering a moment from the wound, the man makes a sweep on Jorran's legs, followed by an elbow to the face and a strike on his fingers with a staff of redly brown wood. "Black armor, grey cloak. Who are they?"

    Spoiler
    Show
    Trip attempt
    Touch - (1d20+5)[13] trip - (1d20+8)[14]

    if fail, second attempt
    Trip attempt
    Touch - (1d20+5)[17] trip - (1d20+8)[13]
    if first trip succeeded, attack instead
    attack - (1d20+5)[21] damage - (1d8+4)[8]

    Improved Trip bonus attack
    attack - (1d20+5)[11] damage - (1d8+4)[7]

    Improved Disarm on greatsword
    opposed disarm - (1d20+14)[18]
    Not a member of the Bayesian Conspiracy. Honestly. Probably. Maybe.
    Find your own priors!



  2. - Top - End - #932
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    BlackDragon

    Join Date
    Aug 2008

    Default Re: Madness, Blood and Thunder in Ravens Bluff IC

    Spoiler
    Show
    Draw on the first trip check (same modifiers, looks like).

    Tiebreaker roll: (1d20)[19]

    If win, countertrip: (1d20+5)[12]
    Last edited by Frog Dragon; 2012-07-19 at 05:15 PM.
    Frog in the playground.

    My homebrewer's extended signature.

    I have Str 5!

    Quote Originally Posted by BobVosh View Post
    Wall of text attacks! CRITS!

  3. - Top - End - #933
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    BlackDragon

    Join Date
    Aug 2008

    Default Re: Madness, Blood and Thunder in Ravens Bluff IC

    Bitterstone

    Jorran spots the sweep and positions one foot to angle the impact away, kicking back to try to push the attacker off-balance. However, the elbow pushes him down to the ground, and the knock to his hands forces him to loose his grip on the blade. "You're not getting any answers from me."

    Immediately reaching for the blade, Jorran bounces back up before bounding down the narrow street. The ground was no place to fight from.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Move action: Pick up sword.
    Move Action: Stand up.
    Swift Action: Initiate Sudden leap, jumping directly "down" in the map, as far as jump check allows.

    Jump Check: (1d20+11)[23]
    Tumble (avoid AoO): (1d20+8)[11]
    Frog in the playground.

    My homebrewer's extended signature.

    I have Str 5!

    Quote Originally Posted by BobVosh View Post
    Wall of text attacks! CRITS!

  4. - Top - End - #934
    Titan in the Playground
     
    TheFallenOne's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Heidelberg, Germany
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Madness, Blood and Thunder in Ravens Bluff IC

    Bitterstone

    "Your answers, or your blood." Jorran manages to disengage with a long jump turning into a roll, bringing him to his feet two paces away from his attacker, though not without leaving an opening for another strike from the quarterstaff. Suddenly, the shadows in the alley seem to thicken, converging on the pale man, and when they fade again he has disappeared from view. Out of nowhere, a hand grabs Jorran's wrist, while the staff pushes against his upper arm, forcing him down. A moment later, the shadows twist again, revealing the attacker beside Jorran.

    Spoiler
    Show
    he is left of you again
    AoO (1d20+6)[26] (1d6+6)[9]

    touch - (1d20+9)[11] trip - (1d20+8)[27]
    avoid countertrip - (1d20+8)[22]

    I contemplated Combat Reflexes as feat... Good thing I did not, would've been 3 AoO's there.
    Not a member of the Bayesian Conspiracy. Honestly. Probably. Maybe.
    Find your own priors!



  5. - Top - End - #935
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGirl

    Join Date
    May 2010

    Default Re: Madness, Blood and Thunder in Ravens Bluff IC

    Ladyrock

    Alaister watches the elf drop from the warehouse, as he approaches.

    Ok, then... Perhaps a fall won't be quite as convenient a death as I thought. Still, frail little thing... and an Elf. I can likely still handle her, even without my bow. Mirielle only has one known elven associate... Aya something-or-other, I think. Then again, this could be a fool with too much curiosity and not enough sense. Not likely, but possible, I suppose. This isn't the sort of place for people to just be looking around, unless they're looking for someone. Let's see.

    As he approaches, Alaister smiles from beneath the guise of dirt and rags, his pale green eyes far too energized and vibrant for a vagrant. Upon closer inspection, the limp he's been walking with is due to a blade of some sort running down it. Longsword, perhaps?

    When he speaks, it's in elven, spoken with precision, slightly slowly, as if it's been a while since last used. "Indeed, there is much to see and do here. I'm open to whatever you wish to consider. You and your friends have sought me out. Well, here I am. What can I help you with... Aya?"
    All of this has happened before...
    and all of this will happen again.

    Moving. Internet access is a bit spotty.

  6. - Top - End - #936
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    BlackDragon

    Join Date
    Aug 2008

    Default Re: Madness, Blood and Thunder in Ravens Bluff IC

    Bitterstone

    Shifting the sword to one hand, Jorran twists his hand in the attacker's grip, grabbing his wrist in turn and trying to force him off balance, though to no avail. Having regained control of his wrist, he takes a quick step back to gain room to swing. "You're not getting either. Burn!" Swinging at the attacker with a flaming sword, Jorran strengthens his blow with the arcane might in his gauntlets, eager to deal as much damage as possible.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Swift Action: Initiate Burning Blace
    Free Action: Activate Brute Gauntlets (3 charges)
    Standard Action: Attack

    Attack: (1d20+10)[18]
    Damage: (2d6+11)[20]
    Fire Damage: (1d6+3)[6]
    Last edited by Frog Dragon; 2012-07-19 at 07:00 PM.
    Frog in the playground.

    My homebrewer's extended signature.

    I have Str 5!

    Quote Originally Posted by BobVosh View Post
    Wall of text attacks! CRITS!

  7. - Top - End - #937
    Titan in the Playground
     
    TheFallenOne's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Heidelberg, Germany
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Madness, Blood and Thunder in Ravens Bluff IC

    Bitterstone

    "Been burned. Not today. Who are they?" Another wave of attacks comes at Jorran, as the now barechested man locks his supporting leg with his own foot while pushing forward, then, inside his enemy's guard, he grabs Jorran's arm to attempt a shoulder throw, finally followed by another swipe at the blade.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Brute Gauntlets require a Swift action as well, so you still have the charges left.
    He becomes visible start of your turn, same location.

    Trip attempt
    Touch - (1d20+5)[10] trip - (1d20+8)[18] avoid countertrip - (1d20+8)[21]

    if fail, second attempt
    Trip attempt
    Touch - (1d20+5)[24] trip - (1d20+8)[28] avoid countertrip - (1d20+8)[19]
    if first trip succeeded, attack instead
    attack - (1d20+5)[21] damage - (1d8+4)[9]

    Improved Trip bonus attack
    attack - (1d20+5)[7] damage - (1d8+4)[7]

    Improved Disarm on greatsword
    opposed disarm - (1d20+14)[18]
    Not a member of the Bayesian Conspiracy. Honestly. Probably. Maybe.
    Find your own priors!



  8. - Top - End - #938
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    BlackDragon

    Join Date
    Aug 2008

    Default Re: Madness, Blood and Thunder in Ravens Bluff IC

    Jorran resists the first attempt to topple him, grabbing the hand reaching for his arm. However, the assailant manages to push him off-balance nevertheless, pushing him down by taking away his feet.

    Once again on the ground, Jorran nevertheless manages to lock the staff on the crossguard of his blade and push it away. Then he speaks a single word, activating his amulet. He bounds back up, slashing at the assailant.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Huh. Never noticed that "Activation: Swift" line.

    Swift Action: Amulet of Tears, 3 charges. Gain 24 Temp HP
    Move Action: Stand up.
    Standard Action: Attack

    Attack: (1d20+10)[15]
    Damage: (2d6+7)[15]
    Frog in the playground.

    My homebrewer's extended signature.

    I have Str 5!

    Quote Originally Posted by BobVosh View Post
    Wall of text attacks! CRITS!

  9. - Top - End - #939
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Sallera's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Finland

    Default Re: Madness, Blood and Thunder in Ravens Bluff IC

    Ladyrock

    Aya giggles and continues toward the park, her step lightening. Despite the quiver across her back, no bow is in evidence, but she makes no effort to conceal the longsword under her cloak. "<Well, Alaister... that's not really the question. At the moment, I am simply watching out for a friend, and you can't offer much in that regard as you are. But my friend is interested in learning why you seek a certain firestarter. Her reasons are her own to give... but perhaps you might indulge her curiosity?>"
    Wriggle avatar by memnarch.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    August
    Sei

  10. - Top - End - #940
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGirl

    Join Date
    May 2010

    Default Re: Madness, Blood and Thunder in Ravens Bluff IC

    Alaister chuckles, shaking his head, as he produces a note from beneath his rags.

    "Yes, her note said as much. Take a look for yourself. Tell me, Aya, if you were a lone traveler in a new city, and you had asked some rather pointed questions about a rather dangerous individual, what's the first thing you'd think when you read this?

    Aya, I study life, the living, and the nature of humanity itself. This means I must consider ALL aspects of humanity, not just the knights in shining armor atop their majestic steeds. That doesn't mean that I don't like life, most especially my own. And when a group of people contact me about this elf, shortly after I do... And when the only noteworthy thing these people have done here is involvement in the affairs of the wealthy, such that they see fit to pursue you in broad daylight through the streets... And when I receive THAT note... Well, your friend looks very much likes she wishes to deprive me of my life.

    I must admit, I'm curious as well, but I will need some assurances to my safety, and a meeting in the dead of night in a shadowy corner of a dark park... Doesn't provide them. I'd like somewhere a bit more... public, and visible.
    "


    Contents of the note, handed to Aya as he speaks:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Alaister,

    I understand you're looking for a certain incendiary elf. If that's the case, we may be able to help each other. Come to Ladyrock this evening, two hours after sundown, and meet me under the tallest tree in the northeast corner of the island. Come alone.

    Mirielle Greyhome
    All of this has happened before...
    and all of this will happen again.

    Moving. Internet access is a bit spotty.

  11. - Top - End - #941
    Titan in the Playground
     
    TheFallenOne's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Heidelberg, Germany
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Madness, Blood and Thunder in Ravens Bluff IC

    Bitterstone

    The quarterstaff comes down at his neck when Jorran struggles back to his feet, and blood from his forehead wound flowing into his eyes throws off his aim, allowing the attacker to bend back at his knees to avoid the swing. Continuing with the motion of the defensive move, he supports his body with his arms, first kicking at Jorran's chin, then wrapping his legs around his neck, using the leverage to force him into a roll. Not deterred by the previous failure, he again goes for the Luskanite's blade. "Who are they?"

    Out of the corner of your eyes, you see a plump readhead, maybe in his early twenties, spot your fight from the street and then quickly scurry off.

    Spoiler
    Show
    miss
    AoO
    (1d20+6)[14] (1d6+6)[11]

    Trip attempt
    Touch - (1d20+5)[16] trip - (1d20+8)[27] avoid countertrip - (1d20+8)[22]

    if fail, second attempt
    Trip attempt
    Touch - (1d20+5)[10] trip - (1d20+8)[18] avoid countertrip - (1d20+8)[21]
    if first trip succeeded, attack instead
    attack - (1d20+5)[13] damage - (1d8+4)[9]

    Improved Trip bonus attack
    attack - (1d20+5)[7] damage - (1d8+4)[5]

    Improved Disarm on greatsword
    opposed disarm - (1d20+14)[27]
    Not a member of the Bayesian Conspiracy. Honestly. Probably. Maybe.
    Find your own priors!



  12. - Top - End - #942
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    BlackDragon

    Join Date
    Aug 2008

    Default Re: Madness, Blood and Thunder in Ravens Bluff IC

    "How.. Augh!" Jorran finds himself on the ground again. Apart from his initial attack, he had failed to deal any real damage, while he in turn was being tossed around the street every few seconds. He reaches
    for his blade again.

    He speaks a single word and pushes himself slightly off the ground to give himself the position to strike. Then he thrusts the sword up at his opponent, certain that he has found an opening.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Move action: Pick up sword.
    Swift action: Brute Gauntlets, 3 charges
    Standard action: Attack (from prone), taking 15 with a fate card.

    Attack 'roll': 21
    Damage roll: (2d6+11)[16]
    Frog in the playground.

    My homebrewer's extended signature.

    I have Str 5!

    Quote Originally Posted by BobVosh View Post
    Wall of text attacks! CRITS!

  13. - Top - End - #943
    Titan in the Playground
     
    TheFallenOne's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Heidelberg, Germany
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Madness, Blood and Thunder in Ravens Bluff IC

    About the city

    Mirielle's inquiries turn up a couple places that deal with books, though which one is best suited to her needs she is none the wiser, particularly since there are not many people about able to judge the rarity of this or that tome. The Sign of the Quill and Scribe Shoppe in Stormrime seems to deal primarily in raw materials for the production of books, though there's always a good number of books on display. The Sapient Sorcerer in Tlasbras deals with books, scrolls and inks, though that one seems primarily aimed at casters. Finally, someone offers either the Guild of Clerks and Scribes or the Sages Guild as decent guesses, though a guess is all it is.

    Bitterstone

    The staff comes down once again as Jorran reaches for his sword, but the well executed thrust from his awkward position catches the assailant unprepared, and the blade goes several inches into his gut. The man's face twists and his eyes widen, more from surprise than pain, and he seems to realize that despite his seeming advantage a battle of attrition doesn't look promising. Changing his attack routine, he thrusts his staff between Jorran's arms holding the blade, twists the wood sideways to lock Jorran's hands in place and then he kicks at the hilt of the sword, sending it spinning through the air. Twirling the staff so it becomes an extension of his outstretched right arm, he grabs the sword out of the air with his left. "No more sword. Talk".

    Spoiler
    Show
    AoO
    (1d20+6)[23] (1d6+6)[11]
    successful disarm, pick up sword
    Not a member of the Bayesian Conspiracy. Honestly. Probably. Maybe.
    Find your own priors!



  14. - Top - End - #944
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Jeff the Green's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    The Great PNW
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Madness, Blood and Thunder in Ravens Bluff IC

    Spoiler
    Show
    Sign of the Quill it is.
    Having one of those days where you just need to exsanguinate someone? You need the Hæmaturge!
    Old Homebrew


    Campaign
    From across the multiverse to Barovia: Expedition to Castle Ravenloft IC OOC
    Characters
    Elidiel, changeling anthropologist | Rook, kenku swindler | Spellweaver with a literally unpronounceable name, mad scientist
    Greenman by Bradakhan

  15. - Top - End - #945
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    BlackDragon

    Join Date
    Aug 2008

    Default Re: Madness, Blood and Thunder in Ravens Bluff IC

    Bitterstone

    Even after that hit, the assailant was still up. But he was clearly gravely injured. Jorran was running out of steam, but the attacker wasn't a brute force fighter like he was. It was possible he could match him in strength, even at his worst.

    More to the point, he wasn't about to oblige his attacker. He bounds up once more, confident that he can take the assailant's attacks despite the openings he was leaving. "No." Jorran surges forth, moving inside the assailant's guard and grabbing hold while trying to slam him against the wall.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Move action: Stand
    Standard action: Touch attack to initiate grapple.

    Touch Attack: (1d20+9)[18] (+10 if my Stone Dragon discipline focus (unarmed strike) applies to the touch attack.)
    Strength check: (1d20+5)[19] (Edit: Forgot BAB factors in. That should be 23.)
    Unarmed Strike damage: (1d3+2)[5]
    Last edited by Frog Dragon; 2012-07-20 at 08:18 AM.
    Frog in the playground.

    My homebrewer's extended signature.

    I have Str 5!

    Quote Originally Posted by BobVosh View Post
    Wall of text attacks! CRITS!

  16. - Top - End - #946
    Titan in the Playground
     
    TheFallenOne's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Heidelberg, Germany
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Madness, Blood and Thunder in Ravens Bluff IC

    Bitterstone

    When Jorran closes the short distance the bloodied monk again disappears from view, but still he finds purchase on flesh, though an unvisible thumb painfully pushing into Jorran's forehead wound forces him to reel back. "These men worth dying for?" Hindered by the blade occupying his hand, he sacrifices precious seconds fiddling it through the straps attaching a small leather bag to his belt, followed by hooking his staff behind Jorran's right knee and pulling up to topple him over.

    Spoiler
    Show
    AoO
    (1d20+9)[16] nonlethal - (1d8+4)[5]

    Move: store sword
    touch - (1d20+9)[14] trip - (1d20+8)[19] countertrip - (1d20+8)[18]

    Improved Trip bonus attack
    (1d20+9)[26] nonlethal - (1d8+4)[7]


    The Sign of the Quill and Scribe Shoppe

    The Stormrime disctrict was known for suffering more from the frequent storms down the Dragon Reach than any other neighborhood in the Bluff, though restoration of the city walls and restocking of the tree line between city and Reach reduced this problem considerably. Still, after a good storm many of the facades here are glistening with salt, and many a tree trunk to the west is covered in an inch-thick layer of salt like a shell or strange suit of armor.
    A small sign identifies this building as 'Hoaten Thee, Scribe - Documents Written, Read, Translated', though colloquially it is almost universally referred to as the Sign of the Quill and Scribe Shoppe. Inside, there's a huge clutter of tomes, books, parchment of various kinds and sizes, lots of different inks and more unusual writing utensils, like chalk, wax tablets or brushes. A darkskinned man, somewhere between chubby and muscular, is currently filling some vials with a bright green liquid when Mirielle enters. His aggressively orange hair in many fine braids is a dye-job a blind man could spot from 100 feet away, and neither his eyebrows nor his goatee were spared from the treatment either. He stands up and spreads his arms wide in an exaggerated gesture of greeting. "WELCOME! How may Hoaten Thee be of service to you, fine lady?"
    Last edited by TheFallenOne; 2012-07-20 at 09:28 AM.
    Not a member of the Bayesian Conspiracy. Honestly. Probably. Maybe.
    Find your own priors!



  17. - Top - End - #947
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    BlackDragon

    Join Date
    Aug 2008

    Default Re: Madness, Blood and Thunder in Ravens Bluff IC

    Bitterstone

    Jorran is once again pulled down to the ground, and he was running out of steam. He didn't have the strength to continue at his previous level of exertion, but why let his opponent know that?

    He pulls himself up, again, and pulls his right arm back. "Dying? You're not delivering that. You're nothing!" He shouts at the attacker, punctuated by a punch to the face.


    Spoiler
    Show
    Trip rolls from previous round
    Spoiler
    Show
    Trip Resist: (1d20+5)[17]
    Countertrip: (1d20+5)[23]


    Move Action: Stand up
    Swift Action: Initiate Intimidating Shout
    Standard Action: Unarmed Strike

    Rolls in OoC.
    Last edited by Frog Dragon; 2012-07-20 at 10:00 AM.
    Frog in the playground.

    My homebrewer's extended signature.

    I have Str 5!

    Quote Originally Posted by BobVosh View Post
    Wall of text attacks! CRITS!

  18. - Top - End - #948
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Jeff the Green's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    The Great PNW
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Madness, Blood and Thunder in Ravens Bluff IC

    Mirielle smiles at the outrageously coiffed man. "I'm mostly browsing," she says. "Until recently I lived in a library and I miss being surrounded by books, so I thought I'd start building my private collection. But maybe you could make a recommendation on where to start. Really, anything on history, magic, or religion. Maybe history of religion, or divine magic?

    "I serve Kelemvor," she adds, pointing to the holy symbol that hangs outside of her cassock, "so I'd be particularly interested in anything on funerary rites or something like that."
    Having one of those days where you just need to exsanguinate someone? You need the Hæmaturge!
    Old Homebrew


    Campaign
    From across the multiverse to Barovia: Expedition to Castle Ravenloft IC OOC
    Characters
    Elidiel, changeling anthropologist | Rook, kenku swindler | Spellweaver with a literally unpronounceable name, mad scientist
    Greenman by Bradakhan

  19. - Top - End - #949
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Sallera's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Finland

    Default Re: Madness, Blood and Thunder in Ravens Bluff IC

    Ladyrock

    "<I'd say she reads too many books, but I knew that already. I mean, she actually wrote 'Come alone.'>" Aya giggles again, reaching up to pat Alaister on the shoulder - if only to test his reaction. "<But you don't need to worry about that. I'd have been watching; no one would have broken the peace of that meeting without getting an arrow between the eyes.>" It wouldn't have had a point on it, of course, but nonetheless.

    "<Do you really want to hold a discussion about this supposedly dangerous individual in public?>" Aya turns abruptly, leaning back against a tree to get a good look at Alaister's face. "<I don't mind chatting in a restaurant, but aren't you worried about having it burn down?>"

    Spoiler
    Show
    Sense Motive, whee: (1d20+6)[7]
    Wriggle avatar by memnarch.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    August
    Sei

  20. - Top - End - #950
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGirl

    Join Date
    May 2010

    Default Re: Madness, Blood and Thunder in Ravens Bluff IC

    Alaister ponders for a moment over Aya's words, not appearing to notice the pat, or at least, not reacting to it. When he replies, it's slow, measured. "There is a reason I didn't seek you all out, you know. Not because I was worried about our mutual person of interest, mind you... Not his style. If anything, I thought you were hirelings of some jittery noble, looking to find someone to take care of his problems without needing to look anyone in the eye. That wasn't the type of attention I needed.

    Tell you what, Aya. If Mirielle wants to meet, then it shall be now. Right now, no delays. You will take me to her, wherever she may be, after a brief stop for me to retrieve something of mine. From there, we can get a private booth at an eatery near her location, and have a short meeting, no more than ten minutes. I'll happily satisfy your friend's curiosity, provided she does the same for me. By moving quickly, and keeping the meeting brief, we should deny any opportunities for the elf to lay a proper ambush. Deal?
    "

    Spoiler
    Show
    Sense motive over the past (gut feeling about Aya): (1d20+4)[20]
    Sense motive (concerning the specific answer that follows): (1d20+4)[12]
    All of this has happened before...
    and all of this will happen again.

    Moving. Internet access is a bit spotty.

  21. - Top - End - #951
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Sallera's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Finland

    Default Re: Madness, Blood and Thunder in Ravens Bluff IC

    Ladyrock

    "<Oh, I work for more interesting people than nobles. But this little matter doesn't concern Mystra. You needn't fear interference from the local powers.>"

    "<I don't have any objections to the idea.>" Aya hands Alaister the note back, now folded into the shape of a flat-bottomed boat. "<But the ship has sailed, as it were. I don't know where she is, or where she'll be until this evening. Why don't you meet us at the ferry on the north bank, and we'll choose our restaurant then? Doesn't have all the same benefits, but unless you want to wander the city at random and hope we run into her, it's the closest I can offer.>"

    Spoiler
    Show
    Aya's words seem sincere, but the silly manner is probably mostly feigned.
    Wriggle avatar by memnarch.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    August
    Sei

  22. - Top - End - #952
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGirl

    Join Date
    May 2010

    Default Re: Madness, Blood and Thunder in Ravens Bluff IC

    Ladyrock

    Alaister takes the boat, along with the double entendre, in the lighthearted manner in which it was given; with a warm and genuine smile on his face. "The ferry on the north bank tonight, it is. It's a pleasure to come to an arrangement with someone whose sole experience in these matters isn't limited to bar tales by bad bards. Until this evening, Aya..."

    Alaister starts to walk away, mulling over the situation... You know, she never actually stated that her group wasn't trying to kill me. Avoided that well, actually. I'll just need to be on my guard, I suppose. It would truly be a shame if this turns out to be the plant of some fool noble, intent on killing me for my questions. Killing these people, and finding out what noble I have to terrify into submission... Well, it's not how I want to spend the next three weeks.

    After Leaving Ladyrock:

    Spoiler
    Show
    Alaister will return back to his room at the Posh Paladin, shedding the disguise upon getting close. From there, he'll gather his bow, and try to track down someone with information about an Aya that venerates Mystra.

    Gather Information: (1d20+10)[12]

    That should take me to evening.
    Last edited by candycorn; 2012-07-20 at 11:40 AM.
    All of this has happened before...
    and all of this will happen again.

    Moving. Internet access is a bit spotty.

  23. - Top - End - #953
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Sallera's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Finland

    Default Re: Madness, Blood and Thunder in Ravens Bluff IC

    Ladyrock

    Aya smirks as she watches Alaister walk away, then returns to her business on the isle. No sense in making it obvious that her purpose here had been that meeting. Don't know what he's really after, but I don't think Miri's got anything to fear from him.

    After her evening prayers, she takes the ferry back across the river and finds a good spot to watch for the others. As soon as she sees Mirielle, she takes a moment to enhance her vision - if anyone decided to follow them to the restaurant, even by chance, she'd prefer to know about it - and slips through the crowd to join her. "Found our friend; we've made new plans. We'll meet here, and move to a better location," she murmurs.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Casting Hawkeye. Guess we'll pause here to see if Jorran's in any shape to show.
    Wriggle avatar by memnarch.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    August
    Sei

  24. - Top - End - #954
    Titan in the Playground
     
    TheFallenOne's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Heidelberg, Germany
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Madness, Blood and Thunder in Ravens Bluff IC

    Bitterstone

    The monk's eyes go wide with Jorran's scream, and he takes a step back from the infight, attacking more cautiously with two long kicks, one low sweep at Jorran's supporting leg and a high one aimed at his jaw, staff held ready to block Jorran should he try to bridge the distance again.
    At this moment, two thin boys in their early or mid-teens appear in the wider street to the west, carefully looking around the corner at the two dark shapes wailing at each other.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Note: west is down on the map

    He uses Fighting Defensively

    Trip
    touch - (1d20+1)[13] trip - (1d20+6)[18] countertrip - (1d20+6)[13]

    attack (1d20+1)[20] damage - (1d8+4)[8]

    Improved Trip bonus attack (1d20+1)[18] damage - (1d8+4)[7]


    The Sign of the Quill and Scribe Shoppe

    "Look no further, dear lady!" he answers a bit louder than necessary, indicating his bookshelves. "I mostly deal in helping others with the production of books, but still I have a good collection of tomes to offer. Many fine and wellregarded works like Gods of the Realm, or The Divine Mind and A History of the Dales. Even the rare and often underappreciated The Flow of the Weave is on display!" He pulls out a book bound in white leather and opens it on a table, browsing through the luxury codex with manycolored pictures or illustrations and complex initials at every chapter. "I did the script and initials with my own hand. Finest vellum, leather from a magical beast called wolf of the winter. It was a request of a distant noble, but alas, he pulled back after the initial advance payment. Now this extraordinary codex is looking for a worthy owner, mayhaps it will be you?
    I'm afraid I don't have much on funerary rites. Though the third tome of the four-volume Dwarven Customs is wholly dedicated to their treatment of the dead. Perhaps this might interest you?"
    Last edited by TheFallenOne; 2012-07-20 at 06:25 PM.
    Not a member of the Bayesian Conspiracy. Honestly. Probably. Maybe.
    Find your own priors!



  25. - Top - End - #955
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    BlackDragon

    Join Date
    Aug 2008

    Default Re: Madness, Blood and Thunder in Ravens Bluff IC

    Bitterstone

    Once again, his opponent had knocked him down. Luckily Jorran was adept at projecting strength. That made his opponent more cautious than he needed to be.

    He stands, carefully guarding against any attacks and stepping away from his assailant, moving in the opposite direction.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Standard Action: Total Defense (+6 Dodge bonus)
    Move Action: Stand Up
    Free Action: 5-ft step directly up on the map.
    Frog in the playground.

    My homebrewer's extended signature.

    I have Str 5!

    Quote Originally Posted by BobVosh View Post
    Wall of text attacks! CRITS!

  26. - Top - End - #956
    Titan in the Playground
     
    TheFallenOne's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Heidelberg, Germany
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Madness, Blood and Thunder in Ravens Bluff IC

    Bitterstone

    The attacker recovers from his momentary indecision, focusing on bringing Jorran down in light of his apparent attempt to disengange. "No fight left in you. Talk."

    Spoiler
    Show
    step up as well
    Trip touch - (1d20+7)[14] trip - (1d20+8)[18] countertrip - (1d20+8)[24]

    Trip touch - (1d20+7)[27] trip - (1d20+8)[16] countertrip - (1d20+8)[17]

    Improved Trip bonus
    (1d20+7)[9] (1d8+4)[9]
    Not a member of the Bayesian Conspiracy. Honestly. Probably. Maybe.
    Find your own priors!



  27. - Top - End - #957
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Jeff the Green's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    The Great PNW
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Madness, Blood and Thunder in Ravens Bluff IC

    Mirielle peers over the book in the way that most other women might over a babe. She looks as if she might begin cooing at any moment. "This is beautiful, my friend." She sighs wistfully. "I doubt I could afford it at the moment, though, and certainly not with the coin I have on me. What were you asking for it?"

    Spoiler
    Show
    On the offchance of a good roll, here's an untrained appraise check to estimate the value and/or the time that probably would have gone into making this copy: (1d20)[8]

    And Knowledge (arcana) for what I know about the book: (1d20+7)[11]
    Ditto Knowledge (religion): (1d20+8)[10]
    Having one of those days where you just need to exsanguinate someone? You need the Hæmaturge!
    Old Homebrew


    Campaign
    From across the multiverse to Barovia: Expedition to Castle Ravenloft IC OOC
    Characters
    Elidiel, changeling anthropologist | Rook, kenku swindler | Spellweaver with a literally unpronounceable name, mad scientist
    Greenman by Bradakhan

  28. - Top - End - #958
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    BlackDragon

    Join Date
    Aug 2008

    Default Re: Madness, Blood and Thunder in Ravens Bluff IC

    Bitterstone

    Jorran deflects the first sweep of the staff and though the second sweep catches him in the leg, he manages to kick it away without being knocked down. Defending himself against attack again, his shadow pools around him as he moves back from the attacker.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Standard Action: Total Defense
    Swift Action: Child of Shadow stance
    Move Action: Tumble up on the map, 20ft

    Tumble: (1d20+4)[14]
    Frog in the playground.

    My homebrewer's extended signature.

    I have Str 5!

    Quote Originally Posted by BobVosh View Post
    Wall of text attacks! CRITS!

  29. - Top - End - #959
    Titan in the Playground
     
    TheFallenOne's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Heidelberg, Germany
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Madness, Blood and Thunder in Ravens Bluff IC

    Bitterstone

    The monk pursues at higher speed, blocking Jorran's leading leg with his own and then pushing against the hollow of his knee with the staff to topple him over.

    Spoiler
    Show
    touch - (1d20+9)[14] trip - (1d20+8)[12] countertrip - (1d20+8)[24]
    Concealment - (1d100)[73]

    Improved Trip bonus
    (1d20+10)[19] (1d6+6)[10]
    Concealment - (1d100)[75]

    20 ft Sudden Leap down, 5 foot step and 20 tumble up, so you're 1 square up from the initial position on the map. He's again left of you


    The Sign of the Quill and Scribe Shoppe

    Mirielle never heard of the book, but the look alone was impressive enough. "For such a magnificent work in skill and material, the price is 2000 gold. I realize this is too much for someone just starting their collection, but still, it breaks my heart to have made such a masterpiece and not have it become the pride of a booklover's collection." Saying this, he looks like he just told the tale of his wife fatally falling off a ladder and crushing their only son in the process.
    Not a member of the Bayesian Conspiracy. Honestly. Probably. Maybe.
    Find your own priors!



  30. - Top - End - #960
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Jeff the Green's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    The Great PNW
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Madness, Blood and Thunder in Ravens Bluff IC

    Mirielle whistles low. "It's certainly worth it, but I was definitely right—I can't afford it. But I'll tell you what: I know how you feel wanting this work of art to be used and treasured, so if you can make me a good deal on that third volume of Dwarven Customs, I'll write to some of my contacts around the Sea of Fallen Stars and tell them to write to you if they've any interest in it. Most of them are scholars, and one or two are in charge of libraries or archives. I'll bet that one of them will snap it up."
    Last edited by Jeff the Green; 2012-07-21 at 07:05 AM.
    Having one of those days where you just need to exsanguinate someone? You need the Hæmaturge!
    Old Homebrew


    Campaign
    From across the multiverse to Barovia: Expedition to Castle Ravenloft IC OOC
    Characters
    Elidiel, changeling anthropologist | Rook, kenku swindler | Spellweaver with a literally unpronounceable name, mad scientist
    Greenman by Bradakhan

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •