New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 49 of 50 FirstFirst ... 24394041424344454647484950 LastLast
Results 1,441 to 1,470 of 1493
  1. - Top - End - #1441
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Default Re: Madness, Blood and Thunder in Ravens Bluff IC

Alaister grins slightly, before responding. "Those who would torture others aren't drawn into it for the glorious lifestyle. It's not the kind of crime that gets one fabulously wealthy. Such people do these things because they believe in the principles of the matter: to wit, we're going after people who worship torture. Such people aren't typically dissuaded by trials and executions. They're just encouraged to be more careful. Trials are great tools to dissuade people from crimes for profit, or crimes that are 'fashionable'... But for crimes where the criminal is enraged, or holds to what they believe is a 'higher principle'... They're not effective. The law's methods are great, for discouraging the type of people that they are designed for... Fundamentally decent people that give in to moments of weakness.

These just aren't those type of people. Anyone who would torture isn't what I would call a fundamentally decent person. They're not going to be scared straight, any more than you would be scared into torturing Larshon. For you, and them, principles guide choices. They just happen to be very different principles.

That said, trying to get some tales of her exploits would probably be ok... As long as you're careful, and don't try for too much detail, you shouldn't arouse too much suspicion. Just... work into it with tact, not like that's the center of the conversation. Most likely, hearing about some of the fights she's been in would be enough to get an idea for how the woman fights.
    "
    All of this has happened before...
    and all of this will happen again.

Moving. Internet access is a bit spotty.

2. - Top - End - #1442
    Titan in the Playground

Mirielle's Apartment

"If every torturer were a Loviatarite," Mirielle points out, "we'd either have a great many fewer atrocities in Faerūn or Loviatar would enjoy a much more exalted status. Punishing them may not disuade others who engage in the practice out of patriotism or piety, but it would convince those who do so for the sake of pleasure or expediency that they had best seek out other diversions."

She waves her hand as though to dispel an acrid smell. "But more philosophy isn't going to persuade you or me." At least not immediately. Else Barachiel would be out of a job. "Let's get to work, and plan to meet here, say, tomorrow evening, to report and plan. I'll see if Aya wishes to join us."
    Last edited by Jeff the Green; 2012-12-09 at 10:12 AM.
    Author of The Auspician's Handbook and The Tempestarian's Handbook for Spheres of Power.
    Ask me (or the other authors) anything.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lateral View Post
    Well, of course I'm paranoid about everything. Hell, with Jeff as DM, I'd be paranoid even if we were playing a game set in The Magic Kiddie Funland of Perfectly Flat Planes and Sugar Plums.
    Greenman by Bradakhan/Spring Greenman by Comissar/Autumn Greenman by Sgt. Pepper/Winter Greenman by gurgleflep

3. - Top - End - #1443
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

"I will concede that the law's punishment may dissuade those who torture others because there is nothing better to do on an idle afternoon... But I think that anyone who does it for any other reason doubts they'll be caught. And they're largely right. The eyes of the law see precious little, and most go years flouting it without any repercussions. If you want to dissuade people from doing things again, you'll need to devise a way to catch more than one criminal in fifty, or a hundred. Until then, the fear of being caught by the law will be no more or less effective than the fear, of, say, being quartered and hung from the masts of the prison ships you captain. Which, I might add, I would find far more intimidating than the law, if only because I wouldn't know who did it, and how effective they are.

But regardless, you're right. I doubt you will lose faith in law, even when practiced by corrupt, self-serving humans more concerned with finding a moment's pleasure behind the tavern than discharging their duties... And I won't gain faith in those that demonstrate incompetence and greed time, after time, after time. At least, not without a solid amount of action that shows contrary evidence. We can learn what we may today, and meet up tomorrow. With any luck, circumstances will be such that Larshon's activities can be dealt with in a more permanent manner than the one you envision.
    "

With that, Alaister gets up to depart. Once outside, and the door closed, he shakes his head, and walks off.

I can't believe I got up early for that... Truly, pandering to her blind trust of authority will get tiresome, and quick.

4. - Top - End - #1444
    Titan in the Playground

Mirielle's Apartment

When the door closes, Mirielle takes her glasses off and, sighing, rubs the bridge of her nose as though she suffers from a headache. And in a sense she does. Fate likes me very little, she thinks, to make me associate with such an argumentative reprobate.

After a moment she turns to Jorran. "Right," she says. "Any ideas about where we should start looking? If not, we can start at the Four Winds. Probably more expensive than the people we want to talk to can afford, but it's near the harbor."
    Author of The Auspician's Handbook and The Tempestarian's Handbook for Spheres of Power.
    Well, of course I'm paranoid about everything. Hell, with Jeff as DM, I'd be paranoid even if we were playing a game set in The Magic Kiddie Funland of Perfectly Flat Planes and Sugar Plums.
    Greenman by Bradakhan/Spring Greenman by Comissar/Autumn Greenman by Sgt. Pepper/Winter Greenman by gurgleflep

5. - Top - End - #1445
    Ogre in the Playground

Holyhouses

Having spent the greater part of his life helping to free those who were made slaves for being different, Cael's smile turns immediately to frown at Aya's mention of her appearance. "Whatever else you might think of me, do not for a moment attribute my suspicions to the color of your skin." These words carry far more conviction than anything the sun elf has said thus far and he pauses for a moment afterwards to regain his composure.

"Look," he says, exhaling, "I appreciate the gesture you've made here, and I'd actually be happy for the work, but this is an awfully strange way to go about offering someone a job. I mean, you just...happened across me leaving Misti Marva's earlier and then just happened to be walking through a darkened alley alongside the Sages Guild?" He shakes his head. "I've only been in this city for a couple of days and I can count on one hand the number of people I've met in that time. So if you really want me to trust you, you could start by simply telling me how you know my name."
    Last edited by rypt; 2012-12-11 at 05:29 PM.

6. - Top - End - #1446
    Titan in the Playground

Holyhouses

Aya smiles slightly, shamefaced. "Ah, sorry about jumping out of an alley like that. Old habits; you see more when you're not surrounded by a crowd. And you've probably noticed that you really stand out, here, so you were easy to notice."

"Oh, is that all? I got your name and description from one of my superiors; he mentioned you might be interesting to talk to. Might be he knew I was looking for an arcanist and didn't want to talk to the High House, although I'm reasonably certain he doesn't know why." Aya grins slightly at that last part. "I entered this city in a barrel, albeit not by choice; I'm guessing you weren't near that subtle."
    Wriggle avatar by memnarch.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

7. - Top - End - #1447
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Mirielle's Apartment

Jorran sighs. The priority was dealing with Larshon and Black Sorrow, as well as the Thayans, and now they were talking side issues. He had tried to entertain it, but to involve the law again was folly. Still, he needed these people. He couldn't take on the Loviatans alone. Larshon could be put to the sword is the situation so demanded, he decides.

Snapped back to reality by Mirielle's question, he answers. "I don't know of any," he says. "So we can start there."
    Frog in the playground.

My homebrewer's extended signature.

I have Str 5!

Quote Originally Posted by BobVosh View Post
    Wall of text attacks! CRITS!

8. - Top - End - #1448
    Titan in the Playground

Mirielle's Apartment

Mirielle nods to Jorran and collects a few things before heading out the door.

It takes a few moments, but eventually Mirielle finds her bearings and heads off. Her nose isn't exactly in a book, but it is in front of her face and she pays only as much attention to foot- and carriage-traffic as strictly necessary. She bumps into a few people, but she avoids most of them, and most of the rest are more aware of her than she of they.

She decides it prudent to stop reading before she actually reaches the docks—she has no desire to go swimming at the moment—and puts the book away. Once there, she looks around for the sign of the Four Winds before spotting it and heading in.

Spoiler
    Show
    My brain isn't at the top of its game at the moment, so I haven't been able to figure out what time of the day it is for Aya and Cael. Should we RP this information gathering out or roll Gather Information?

9. - Top - End - #1449
    Ogre in the Playground

Holyhouses

"Your superior being another member of your order?" Cael asks. While he can't rule out the possibility that someone he met is affiliated with the Church, it seems unlikely to him that any of Misti Marva, Raerando, Constable Sunriver, or even the Constable's direct subordinates -- all of whom have full time jobs -- are moonlighting in a Mystran order of warrior priests.

"And why an arcanist, exactly? A cleric could just as easily map your wild magic zone. I'd imagine one of your own would do it a fraction of what you'd be paying me."

10. - Top - End - #1450
    Titan in the Playground

Holyhouses

"Mm, they might well." Aya waves a finger slowly. "I do have a reason for that, but while I'd be happy to keep answering questions, you're going to have to start reciprocating at some point. We could start with my original query, or if you'd rather put that off a little longer, something more mundane, like what brought you to the Bluff."
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

11. - Top - End - #1451
    Titan in the Playground

Four Winds

At the very edge of Silverscales, surrounded by peaceful groves to the east and west, Four Winds is the nicest place to drink in the harbor, save for more exclusive establishment restricted to captains. In a pleasant atmosphere of dark paneling and nautical decor, one can drink good and appropriately priced beer. Currently afternoon, some tables are still unoccupied.

Spoiler
    Show
    Afternoon for all of you. Long as you have enough other things to do to RP through the day feel free to just roll it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff the Green View Post
    Actually, when you first put up the post where the gazebo started trying to eat us, I assumed you were pulling our legs and you'd put up the real post soon enough.

12. - Top - End - #1452
    Ogre in the Playground

Holyhouses

"Yes, very well," Cael replies, barely waiting for Aya to finish describing her alternative avenue of inquiry. "The portal is located beneath the city." And just like that, it seems as though he might never have been concerned about sharing such information in the first place.

"Now then," without a moment's pause, he leans forwards and rests his clasped hands on the table, "you were saying?"
    Last edited by rypt; 2012-12-17 at 06:27 PM.

13. - Top - End - #1453
    Titan in the Playground

Holyhouses

"Beneath the city... in Sarbreen, then." Ideal in many ways, not least because that would greatly lower the value of the information.

"Now, I believe I mentioned, if only in passing, that I am looking for an unaffiliated arcanist. My main reason for this is that such people exist; a cleric is never unaffiliated, however far from home she travels. One facet of what I hope to accomplish with this map is rather factional, and while I am loyal to my church, their knowing about this particular project would be rather detrimental to the required... distance."

Aya leans forward, mirroring Cael's gesture. "Your turn. Sarbreen's not a friendly place; since you're being so careful with this information, I'm guessing you didn't discover the portal on a planned expedition. Did you go down there alone, or did you uncover its existence through other methods?"
    Last edited by Sallera; 2012-12-17 at 07:25 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

14. - Top - End - #1454
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Mirielle's Apartment --> Four Winds

Unlike Mirielle, Jorran was not bumped into. People seemed to give him just a little extra space. He tended to have that effect on people. He glanced at Mirielle, walking in front of him. Eyes focused on her book, only giving the bare minimum of attention to her surroundings. Jorran looked forwards again.

He saw the sign to the Four Winds. Not the kind of place he had used to frequent. He followed Mirielle, a step behind. "What now?"
    Frog in the playground.

I have Str 5!

15. - Top - End - #1455
    Titan in the Playground

The Four Winds

Mirielle glances around the Four Winds. Despite the smell of the docks, of which she is still unfond, she can imagine spending time here, either reading or enjoying company. Unfortunate that I haven't the time.

"Now," she replies to Jorran, "we find out where to make our inquiries. Come on."

Spoiler
    Show
    Let's roll GI to find out where to inquire about Larshon and then roleplay the actual inquiries. I'll roll Jorran's Aid Another check to save time.

Mirielle: (1d20+15)[28] (using divine insight) + 2 (AA)= 30
    Jorran: (1d20+1)[12]
    Last edited by Jeff the Green; 2012-12-19 at 06:16 AM.

16. - Top - End - #1456
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Out and about

After leaving, Alaister ponders his options. After touching up a disguise, he decides to follow up an old lead or two.

Spoiler
    Show
    Not sure where would be good to go for this, so I'll try finding that out:

Gather Information: (1d20+15)[26] (inspiration used)

Gathering information on Black sorrow, specifically any information gathering or assaulting he's done that doesn't seem immediately related to the greycloaks... and the locations of any victims of those activities.

17. - Top - End - #1457
    Titan in the Playground

Mirielle
    Spoiler
    Show
    She settled down shortly after the war, when the Bluff's navy was destroyed. Her ships helped maintain order in the waters around the city in the following months.
    She mostly keeps company with her crew, other captains she meets in an exclusive club and a select few others. She occasionally has flings with some members of the nobility, though there are more rumors than actual affairs. She wields a Spinning Sword as found in Secrets of Sarlona.

Alaister
    Spoiler
    Show
    No particulars, he doesn't seem to do too many jobs in the same location. It seems he was active in Hillsfar the year before and possibly connected to a corruption scandal leading to a change in leadership in the local watch.
    Actually, when you first put up the post where the gazebo started trying to eat us, I assumed you were pulling our legs and you'd put up the real post soon enough.

18. - Top - End - #1458
    Ogre in the Playground

Holyhouses

"The latter," Cael answers with a chuckle. "And you're right, I certainly didn't go looking for it; but as I'm sure you've found, sometimes, when you go looking for one thing, you find another."

19. - Top - End - #1459
    Titan in the Playground

Holyhouses

Well, that had been a short game of questions. Or perhaps he was just forfeiting his turn. Still... "Mm, that much is certainly true. In that case, I believe I can formalise my proposal."

"I would like to hire you to help me map this wild magic zone - payment in coin or favours, as you prefer. It is not especially large, and I imagine we could finish the work today, if you have the time. Afterward, I will introduce you to some friends of mine; we have a small confederacy here in town. We trade favours, work together on jobs too dangerous for one of us alone, that sort of thing. A couple weeks ago, we decided to set up an expedition to Sarbreen; other things got in the way at the time, but I believe most of us, at least, would still be interested."

"From what I hear, you see, the place is not exactly stable. Conditions change frequently, there are few, if any, maps, and the inhabitants are decidedly unfriendly. This makes your information worth little... as it is. I would offer you a buy-in, of sorts; I will pay you a certain sum to accompany us to the location of the portal. We can confirm its location and operational status, and I can construct a detailed map along the way; I have picked up something of an education in cartography. Once we have done this, I will give you a copy; since we will have cleared and mapped the route, if only temporarily, the value of the information will go up, and you can then sell it on to anyone else you feel like."
    Aya keeps her expression neutral, gauging Alhruar's reaction.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

20. - Top - End - #1460
    Titan in the Playground

Out and about -> Mirielle's

Pensive, perhaps? Disappointed? Introspect, sullen, or grim? One of these, or a word quite like one of them, describes Mirielle's mood as she paces back home. In contrast to the gregarious and amicable face she'd worn while seeking information on Larshon, she says not a word after inviting Jorran to return to her home with her to hash out what they'd found and help her decide what to do next. She doesn't even replace the book to its place in front of her nose.

Once they reach her building, she unlocks the door (wordlessly), invites Jorran in (wordlessly), and sets out a simple and cold supper (again, wordlessly). Only once she's put a couple mouthfuls in her belly does she speak again.

"I suppose from a mercenary, and particularly one without qualms about kidnapping children," she says, "I shouldn't particularly expect expertly argued philosophy or theology, but you've barely spoken about the whys and wherefores and hows of our campaign agaisnt Black Sorrow and Larshon. That puzzles me. My faith has little to say on matters of mundane justice and what is right, only on ultimate justice and what is proper. But I still try to do what is right and just in addition to what is proper. So does Alaister, it seems, though his philosophy is a bit twisted to reach perverted ends. What do you think is right in this matter?"

21. - Top - End - #1461
    Titan in the Playground

Once opening the door, Mirielle notices a small note was slipped underneath.

Hey Mirielle,

I just learned about another fire in Pumpside last night, though it seems rather mundane. Home of a cooper and his family. They got out alive, but a bystander running in to help their children received fatal burns. Building's in Hellhauryn's Walk if you think it's worth looking into, east across the sanitation facility.

Misti

22. - Top - End - #1462
    Ogre in the Playground

Holyhouses

Cael nods along with the details of Aya's proposition. "Well," he begins once she has finished, "I'm happy to map your wild magic zone right now, if you'd like -- and I think I'd prefer payment in coin -- but as far as an expedition to Sarbreen is concerned, your interest, and I suppose that of your 'confederacy,' will have to suffice for the moment. Not that I don't appreciate your offer, but before I make any such commitments, I intend to finish what I had yet to start at the front steps of the Sages Guild -- that is, to speak with those deal in these sorts of things on a daily basis."

23. - Top - End - #1463
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Out and about > Outside the Thayan Embassy

Alaister frowns at the information, once he has a bit of time to himself, walking down the street. Blacksorrow's business here was almost certainly wholly related to the greycloaks. Jury was still out on who he's working for... But there may be an idea or two he could use to follow up. His frown fades, replaced with something a bit more purposeful as he begins to walk.

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Traveling to an area near the Thayan embassy. Not paying a whole lot of attention to the embassy, certainly not enough to attract attention. However, I do want to at least take note of the various people coming and going, to get an idea for what future disguises would be best used to enter. Once or twice over an hour or so, I want to take note of how the guards challenge those attempting entry, and whether documents are needed for entry, or if other criteria are utilized for determining authorization to enter.

In addition, if anyone well known enters, I want to note how the entry of someone rather famous differs from someone mundane. That should be easily enough played off, though, since famous people tend to have somone watching them more often than not.

24. - Top - End - #1464
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Four Winds --> Mirielle's Apartment

After finding out as much as they can, with Jorran mostly providing background support to Mirielle's more active questioning, he follows her invitation back to her apartment, sitting down in the same chair he used before they left.

He sighs inwardly as the direction of her questioning becomes apparent. What is right. Justice. What is proper. As if he could justify himself to anyone else. As if he had ever done anything other than discard any semblance of society's morals for his own benefit. Mirielle was forcing him to think, and he did not much appreciate it. Introspection had always been the bane of him.

"What does it matter? Black Sorrow made himself my problem, and by extension, so has Larshon. Our involvement with them begins where their involvement with us does. That is what I'm concerned with. Black Sorrow is a threat. I think we're just solving a problem here, like with those goblins. Did we think of the morals there? Why now?"
    Last edited by Frog Dragon; 2012-12-31 at 04:26 PM.
    Frog in the playground.

I have Str 5!

25. - Top - End - #1465
    Titan in the Playground

Foreign District

The Embassy of Thay shows little activity; unlike at the other embassies, no guards are stationed outside and even the everpresent ravens stay clear of the building. The imposing double door covered with complicated geometric designs inside a large circle never moves an inch while Alaister watches, and after a while the increasingly frequent glances of the watch patrols make it clear he better leave or find a good alibi for his presence in the district. It is a quiet place, undisturved save for the noise of the work on the embassy of Zhentil Keep, where half a dozen craftsman work on repairing the signs of fire damage under the careful eye of as many guards in Zhentil dress, half of them orcbloods.

26. - Top - End - #1466
    Titan in the Playground

Holyhouses

"Mm. We'll start with that, then, and put further arrangements on hold. One hundred in coin acceptable?" A pity he was so cagey; Aya had hoped the idea of reliable and skilled connections in the city would be more appealing to a newcomer. The Sages might be inclined to make an offer for the information without considering its practical value, and if they did that, her little hook would have trouble matching it.

"You can get in touch with me at the Halls of Mystery if the bookworms turn you down, or if their offer is less than stellar and you'd rather take the reliable route. Where are you staying while you're in town? If the mapping goes well, I might have further use for your analytical talent."
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

27. - Top - End - #1467
    Ogre in the Playground

Holyhouses

"Yes it is," Cael nods assuredly in reply to Aya's one hundred gold offer. "And I'm staying at the Lucky Coin Inn down in Silverscales." Inwardly relieved to be making some money, albeit a fraction of what he expects to need to free his sister from Ravendark, he then rises from his seat and gestures towards the door. "Shall we get to mapping then?"

28. - Top - End - #1468
    Titan in the Playground

Holyhouses

Aya nods, leaving a few coins on the table and following Cael out. "Certainly. I'll bring you to the area; you'll need to show me exactly where the zone extends to as we move around the edge, and I'll be making some measurements of elevation and distance at each point - as many as I need to be sure of any fluctuations in the shape. Let's get to work."
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

29. - Top - End - #1469
    Titan in the Playground

Ground Zero of magic gone awry

The wild magic zone proves to be erratic in shape, comprised of many tendrils spreading outward, intersecting, going in different directions and meeting again. While varying in thickness, they are wider towards the center of the zone, located on the grounds of the Raven's Glory, and fade to a single point when reaching the uneven edge. The pattern could be likened to a bush with many twigs, or perhaps more aptly numerous hairline cracks spreading from a point of impact on a plate of glass, only in three dimensions instead of two. Towards the center, it seems to become a continuous mass of wild magic instead of pieces of it crossing through normal space, but to make sure one would have to enter the zone itself with the detection spell active.

Spoiler
    Show
    the latter isn't because the center is too far away to see with the spell's range, but because you can't see through walls.
    Last edited by TheFallenOne; 2013-01-04 at 07:00 PM.

30. - Top - End - #1470
    Titan in the Playground

Mirielle's Apartment

Mirielle looks puzzled. "We did, actually. About how to handle the prisoners, who to kill and who to capture, and what to do with those that might surrender."

She appraises the mercenary who had been thrown in her path by Ambrath, his wrinkles and Sword Coast-features. Hard to read, perhaps, but she'd met a few like him at the library—mostly for religious services as the deceased or a companion of the dead—and several more since she'd left the ruins of her library. Most of them treated morals, ethics the same way Jorran does: instinctively, roughly, and with a nearly deaf ear to them. She chooses her words as carefully as she can.

"Yes, there is a problem here. Part of it is that your pack was stolen by Black Sorrow. Part of it is that we want to get paid taking out Larshon. There is more, though. Wouldn't you feel safer knowing the Red Wizards had no influence in this city? And won't you feel a better person knowing you helped stop them?"

As she says this, the note she had missed when she first came in catches her eye. She rises and crosses over to it, allowing Jorran to talk as she reads it.