New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 50 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151631 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Madness, Blood and Thunder in Ravens Bluff IC

"Yes, but it was his stupidity that put them there," Mirielle replies. She shakes her head. "But it doesn't matter. I'll try to convince Asam privately later. I don't have any other objections to the deal, and meeting this Ambrath won't upset my plans too much. Assuming we're not greeted by a band and parade."
    Author of The Auspician's Handbook and The Tempestarian's Handbook for Spheres of Power.
    Ask me (or the other authors) anything.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lateral View Post
    Well, of course I'm paranoid about everything. Hell, with Jeff as DM, I'd be paranoid even if we were playing a game set in The Magic Kiddie Funland of Perfectly Flat Planes and Sugar Plums.
    Greenman by Bradakhan/Spring Greenman by Comissar/Autumn Greenman by Sgt. Pepper/Winter Greenman by gurgleflep

2. - Top - End - #152
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

"Then it is agreed? We accept this restitution, in lieu of accusing Asam publicly? If that's settled, we can get to more mundane issues... Like sleep. I may have just met you four, but I'm more willing to trust that you won't tie me up in my sleep than them. Should we arrange for a watch while we rest?"
    All of this has happened before...
    and all of this will happen again.

Moving. Internet access is a bit spotty.

3. - Top - End - #153
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    you're maybe an hour away from port. Tantras to Ravens Bluff is I believe 50 miles in all

Jorran still missing, then I think we're ready to move on
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff the Green View Post
    Actually, when you first put up the post where the gazebo started trying to eat us, I assumed you were pulling our legs and you'd put up the real post soon enough.

4. - Top - End - #154
    Titan in the Playground

Aya giggles at Keeva's suggestion, leaning back in her chair. "Oh, come on, it's not that bad. He's got something he wants, and he thinks we can take care of it, probably 'cause we're not locals; we get it for him, we get paid, and he forgets we ever existed. We're not important enough to end up in any permanent trouble, are we?"

"Well, I don't sleep, but I don't think we're all that far from port. How about some proper introductions, instead? I can't keep calling you 'armoursmith' forever," she replies to Magnus.
    Wriggle avatar by memnarch.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

5. - Top - End - #155
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

"We hardly need to be important to end up in permanent trouble. Still, no use worrying about tomorrow's problems. At least, not with so little information. Ambrath is a 'bigger picture' guy. Whatever he wants from us, it's part of a larger plan. We're drops of rain in the storm, so far. There is no point in trying to figure out where we'll fall, until we have a bit of idea where we're going.

As for introductions, I confess that there are few in Raven's Bluff I know, so having a few friendly faces in town couldn't hurt. I am called Magnus, by those that call on me. And you are?
    "

6. - Top - End - #156
    Troll in the Playground

Keeva

"I'll go next, I 'spose.

"I am Keeva LeCor. K-E-E-V-A. L-e-Captial-C-o-r. I'm a tinkerer. An artificer. I don't much care for most magic users, as most of them don't understand what exactly they're doing. I do. I figure out magic. I weave it and put it objects. I made this little lens,"
    She says, pulling out her monocle. "Called an Artificer's Monocle. Lets me figure out what an item does in a few minutes- but that's besides the point. I'm a problem solver. A miracle worker. I can make things that would boggle the mind. And I was supposed to be heading to Raven's Bluff to do some private research; but we can see just how well that is turning out.

"But more on point, that 'armorsmith', Magnus? Uses something known as Incarnum. Some rare thing that isn't even supposed to be real; 'Soul Magic', its called. And, again, rare thing. Isn't even supposed to be real. Every text I read was either some recount of 'A-man-who-knew-a-man-who-knew-a-man', or close to being a fairy tale. And that fine lady over there,"
    she says, pointing at Mirielle. "Is a decent holy-person. Two Shields of Faith and a Luminous Armor. I can do Shield of Faith too, but... not like she did, not that fast. I think I like her. She knows what she's doing."
    Last edited by Cardea; 2012-02-14 at 12:46 PM.
    Just finding my roots again.

7. - Top - End - #157
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Magnus tries not to roll his eyes at Keeva's boasting, then clears his throat. "It's a pleasure, Keeva... But I am, you know, standing here. There will be time enough to speak of me as if I'm not here once I've actually left."

8. - Top - End - #158
    Titan in the Playground

"I'm Aya Llewellyn, and no, I'm not going to spell my family name for you, so if you don't know Elven, just forget you heard it. I'm one of Mystra's Shooting Stars, but despite wearing the mark, I'm not a magic user - yet, anyway. I'll figure I'll get the hang of it eventually; I can do most anything else, although not always well. Mostly, though, it's the bow for me; I can comfortably hit a target at five hundred paces, and well beyond that on a good day."
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

9. - Top - End - #159
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

"Fifteen hundred?" Jorran laughs. "I'll bite." He says. It was almost absurd. How could this lot be so valuable to anyone? Still, that 1500 would got a long way smoothing out bad blood. His bad blood anyway...

Then, when the introductions start. "As I said, I'm Jorran. Jorran Tolm. He starts. He had already told them his first name, but the family name probably wouldn't hurt. "I've been working as a mercenary for the last year or so. That flaming axe thing was something a colleague gave me a crash course on. I'm not a mage though. Just a swordsman."
    Frog in the playground.

My homebrewer's extended signature.

I have Str 5!

Quote Originally Posted by BobVosh View Post
    Wall of text attacks! CRITS!

10. - Top - End - #160
    Titan in the Playground

Mirielle laughs a bit at Keeva's description of her. When it comes to be her turn for introductions she takes off her glasses and polishes them nervously on her sleeve. "I suppose 'holy person' is a decent enough description. I'm Mirielle Grayhome. I'm a priestess of Kelemvor, though I'm really more comfortable being a librarian. I only had a crash course with this." She indicates a dangerous-looking morningstar. "I'm pretty good at making zombies explode, though," she says with a slight smile.
    Author of The Auspician's Handbook and The Tempestarian's Handbook for Spheres of Power.
    Well, of course I'm paranoid about everything. Hell, with Jeff as DM, I'd be paranoid even if we were playing a game set in The Magic Kiddie Funland of Perfectly Flat Planes and Sugar Plums.
    Greenman by Bradakhan/Spring Greenman by Comissar/Autumn Greenman by Sgt. Pepper/Winter Greenman by gurgleflep

11. - Top - End - #161
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    well, looks like you were done with introductions

The storm keeps to the middle of the sea, and once you pass the wavebreaker known as the Seawall and enter the bay the Fire River was flowing into the ship is save, though not untouched by the storm it narrowly outran.

Smuggling you inside involves putting each of you inside a barrel and, judging from the sudden, short movement soon after being unloaded, appearantly a bit of sleight of hand, switching your barrels for others already checked by the port authorities at an opportune moment.

You arrive at your destination still well before sunrise, and the moment you raise your head over the rim of the barrel you know you're in a huge, opulent manor. The captain of the guards is startled for a moment when he sees you still armed and unbound, but quickly relaxes and leads you to meat Embro Ambrath in a marble hall large enough to house hundreds.

Ambrath, lying sideways on a purple divan bed, proves to be a many-chinned enormously fat man, the kind of person you surmise only moves by litter, if he moves of all. To his right stands a man with hawkish features who must be a wizard of some kind, clad in robes of darkest blue and close to fifty guards in copper scale armor are flanking you. It is the mage that adresses the newcomers after shortly scanning each of you with halfclosed eyes. "You stand before Embro Ambrath, head of the merchant house and noble house of the same name. The questions you surely have must wait, first each of you tell us who you are, what your business is in this city and what connection if any you have to Lord Frigurd Blacktree IV. I advise against trying to conceal anything."

Spoiler
    Show
    roll a bluff if you try to lie or avoid giving a full answer

Knowledge(Nobility) 10 reveals what's in the OOC writeup
    15 what Sallera previously got when rolling
    20 might reveal new things

Sallera
    Spoiler
    Show
    20 ft in front of you you see a faint shimmer in the air, i.e. Wall of Force
    Actually, when you first put up the post where the gazebo started trying to eat us, I assumed you were pulling our legs and you'd put up the real post soon enough.

12. - Top - End - #162
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Magnus is the first to clear his throat. "I do indeed have questions, however, as you said, they are not of an urgency that demands answers before introduction. I am Magnus Erickksen, son of Erickk Smith. I am an armorer by trade, occasionally a mercenary or militiaman when the need arises. I travelled to this city seeking an old friend, and to seek knowledge about long lost dwarven smithing techniques. I know nothing of this Blacktree; if I have any involvement with him, it was either accidental or without my knowledge." Magnus then steps back, eager to have the spotlight off of him.
    Last edited by candycorn; 2012-02-16 at 08:25 PM.

13. - Top - End - #163
    Titan in the Playground

Mirielle, who had pulled her vestments over her chain shirt before she climbed into her barrel, curtsies stiffly to Ambrath. "I'm Mirielle Grayhome, priestess of Kelemvor, though I expect you know that. I was sent to the Dragon Reach to find person who is of interest to my church. A week ago I found information that suggested he was in this city." She pauses briefly. "I had not heard of Lord Blacktree until today."

14. - Top - End - #164
    Titan in the Playground

Belatedly remembering to pull back her hood, Aya lowers her head slightly in apology. "I am Aya Llewellyn, initiate of the Order of the Shooting Star. I am in this city to investigate a few business interests for a friend of mine - nothing in your areas of trade - and I expect to serve the Order as necessary while I am here. I know of Lord Blacktree, but have no connections to or dealings with him."
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

15. - Top - End - #165
    Troll in the Playground

Keeva

"I am Keeva LeCor, Student of Calna LeCor. I am a crafter; something known as an Artificer. And I'm chasing down myths in order to be recognized as a true artisan under my art by my master." Keeva blushes at her next sentence. "I'm... I'm looking for a Heart of... of... of Gold."

16. - Top - End - #166
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

"Jorran Tolm, a mercenary from the city of Luskan." Jorran was somewhat annoyed at the wizard's tone, but didn't let it show. Embro was the one that had called for them to be brought here, why the interrogation from his wizard? "I'm here to find a priestess I knew." Jorran says before stepping back, just as Magnus had done.
    Last edited by Frog Dragon; 2012-02-16 at 03:21 PM.
    Frog in the playground.

I have Str 5!

17. - Top - End - #167
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Candycorn, I think we got a little misunderstanding about your backstory. You can look here for a friend, and you can search for the smithing secrets, but you know noone here who is familiar with these secrets. All you know is that the art of Soulforging had one of its peaks with the clans of Roldilar, the dwarven realm lost over 700 years ago

Embro Ambrath gives a sideways look to the mage, who almost imperceptably shakes his head. Ambrath sighes, and then The Fat Man himself begins to speak in a stilted voice with many short pauses. Pity, I had hoped you'd be more... directly useful to me.
    Let me explain then. I have a profound... rivalry with Lord Blacktree, and I had hoped you would give me an advantage. My... informants had learned that dear Frigurd had urgent matters with one of the passengers on your... Arianna, was it? Not knowing which one of you he wants, I... decided to take all five of you and then... sort it out.
    But it seems... whatever he wants from you, you don't know about it. Which is... regretable, but at least you have no... loyalties with him.
    He has some elusive allies I wish to... learn more about. Today, go out in the city to... lure them out, so my guard can get their hands on one of them, alive. Help me in this... and each of you will be rewarded with 5000 gold on success. I won't tell you what happens if you... refuse. Refusing my... requests is something few people choose to do, especially when the rewards for... compliance are so sweet."

18. - Top - End - #168
    Titan in the Playground

Five thousand to wander about for a day? Heh. This guy's as willing to throw money around as I expected. I've no wish to make any unnecessary enemies, but play the scene right and I won't even need to do that. As long as it isn't me Blacktree was looking for, anyway... Aya glances sidelong at the others, trying to judge each one's odds of being the unlucky victim.

Let's see, he's a military man, wants or wanted the mayoralty. Used to be a bit of a twit, which means he probably rose on effort and proper application. If Vachalan's taught me anything, he'll be after advantage - at least if this matter he wants one of us for is important. Which means, assuming he knows about whoever he's after... four marks for Keeva, two for Magnus, and half a mark each for Mirielle and Jorran, just because you never discount someone outright, leaving... three marks for me. Bother. I'd better start working on exit strategies, just in case.

With a shrug, she looks back to Ambrath. "Sounds acceptable. I have no objections."
    Last edited by Sallera; 2012-02-16 at 05:32 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

19. - Top - End - #169
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Magnus looks rather surprised, as he thinks... So, knowing we have no knowledge of this Blacktree fellow, or his allies, Embrath wishes us to wander the city blindly, and trust in Blacktree's allies to seek whomever out? I can only assume his colleagues will be watching for this anyway. That means that whether or not we accept his deal, we advance his aims. Not that I'm complaining, but fair payment for services is not his goal. That means he's likely trying to either get us on his teat, or establish that we owe him something. As nice as the money sounds, I don't like strings attached to me, before I know where they are leading.

Magnus speaks up again, hesitantly... "When I stepped foot on Asam's boat, I had every intention of coming to this city and going forth into the town and conducting business here, and I still intend to. If that business helps you advance your aims, I am pleased to help. But I cannot, in good conscience, accept payment from you for doing what I intended to do anyway. If you must find a place for five thousand gold, please, split it evenly and donate it to the temple of Eldath and shrines to the Red Knight, and consider any debt you owe me for my assistance paid."

EDIT: @DM:
    Spoiler
    Show
    I've amended my 1st statement to match. Now I'm looking up an old friend, and seeking information on lost dwarven crafting techniques, with no apparent link between the two.
    Last edited by candycorn; 2012-02-16 at 09:07 PM.

20. - Top - End - #170
    Titan in the Playground

Mirielle sighs to herself. It's not like I was likely to find Cybrarvain without alerting him anyway. At least the money Ambrath is offering will cover the bribes I'll need to find him. Maybe even...

She speaks up, trying her best to recall the way she used to wrap merchants around her finger. "I would not dream of refusing such a generous offer, my lord. However, I am a priestess of Kelemvor, and no matter how much I might wish to help you, my duty to the Lord of the Crystal Spire must always come first.

"The man I seek--an elf named Cybrarvain--is probably doing his best to avoid being found right now, and making myself known to your rivals' allies will almost certainly make it more difficult for me to track him down. A man of your connections surely has agents who know where to start looking for him; perhaps in exchange for my service, you could give me that information and, say, 4500 gold rather than the 5000 you had planned on. Information is free, and I can promise you that Cybrarvain is no one you would miss."

Spoiler
    Show
    Diplomacy: (1d20+8)[10]
    Edit: Le sigh.
    Last edited by Jeff the Green; 2012-02-17 at 05:58 AM.

21. - Top - End - #171
    Titan in the Playground

"Oh, I don't mind... not paying you, but my orders have to be fulfilled rather... exact. You can't just... wander around anywhere. Few... civilians, good place for an ambush, a promise of... belated city watch interference. My friend Beregor already took... steps to insure all that", Ambrath answers the smith.

To Mirielle he says "I will not... barter with you. The offer is final and not open to... discussion. If my servants have... information on this man, the price of that is to be... negotiated another day."

22. - Top - End - #172
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Magnus sighs, before speaking, knowing the danger his words would put him in, and choosing them as carefully as he could. "I am sorry, then. I would know what I am fighting for, and against, ere I draw my weapon. To do less would be to be a fool, and a fool is usually more dangerous to their client than their objective. I am not one to be bought. That may mean that it isn't possible to buy my allegiance to coin, but neither is it possible to lose my allegiance to gold. If you wish my assistance, I would inherit your rivalry with Blacktree, and to do that, I must know who my rival to be is, and who my allies are."

23. - Top - End - #173
    Titan in the Playground

The answer of Magnus visibly displeases Ambrath and he grimaces, a motion that makes his corpulent face jiggle in a quite grotesque way. "You are... new in this city, so let me tell you something about the... privileges of lordship. They give certain... freedoms in your domain. You are in my house... armed, without ever... properly entering the city. I could have you killed and your... remains delivered to the watch, without having to fear any... repercussions. Or just have you... disappear entirely.
    I'm not giving you the... choice of complying or dying. I prefer less... crude avenues. But you should consider this option is... open to me.
    If you are a man... moved by morals and not coin, consider this. Belanor Fenmarel was the acting mayor during Kane's.... disappearance. He was accused of... treason and died in a celll, before guilt... or innocence could be proven.
    I have... reason to believe Blacktree's allies had a hand in this... incident. And I wish this... crime exposed.
    If you refuse, you will remain in the... care of my guard for now. Until I know... what Blacktree wants I can't allow you to go... unsupervised."

Spoiler
    Show
    Knowledge History might reveal more about this story
    Local about rumors going around about this

24. - Top - End - #174
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Magnus bursts into laughter for a moment, before responding... "Apologies... Apologies, your lordship. You seem to have misjudged me."

All trace of humor then fades from the face of Magnus. "Don't mistake conviction for morality. I am no more moved by morals, good or ill, than I am coin. One does not forge copper by respecting the feelings of the ore. One does so by taking ore, burning out the impurities, and beating it until it is something useful. So it is with nations, empires, and legacies. They are not forged by hugging kittens. They are created with ambition. With vision. With purpose. There is no lord or lady that has not engaged in shady dealings. That includes Blacktree, and I imagine yourself. Don't pretend that sparing our lives is anything but in your interests. After all, you've invested a good deal in getting us here, and killing us now reveals nothing about Blacktree.

"I don't seek kindness, from you or anyone. I seek a greater purpose. THAT is the legacy of creation. This Blacktree could have saved destitute widows from the ravagings of pirates, or executed a hundred idealistic fools, and it makes no difference. All that matters is whether he is a man of Vision... And whether you are. I seek Vision, and should I find it, I shall aid its cause. Should I not, then I shall be the change I seek in the realm. Order is either growing or dying, and to grow, it needs to be occasionally fed with the blood of misguided pawns. I seek to help order grow. I would just prefer the role of the misguided be filled by another.

Blacktree's atrocities don't move me, nor does your gold. I would happily accept either, provided it was paid with purpose. If you wish to move me to your cause, I would know what your Vision is.
    "
    Last edited by candycorn; 2012-02-17 at 09:47 AM.

25. - Top - End - #175
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

@DM
    Spoiler
    Show
    Knowledge (History): (1d20+5)[21]

26. - Top - End - #176
    Titan in the Playground

Ambrath evidently loses patience with Magnus and makes a short wave of his hand, upon which the mage Beregor takes up the word. "Lord Ambrath is the effective leader of the Merchant Houses and thus representative for the changes they seek and already accomplished. They're turning Ravens Bluff into a more powerful and rich city, where the competent and ambitious are in control, not those luckily born with noble blood. While it is true one can inherit a fortune just as well as a title, a fool quickly loses the former, and wealth and power in our structures can be obtained even if you start at the bottom. The current head of the Bentbow House for example started as a lowly craftsman at the Guild of Fine Carvers and Furniture Makers. Lord Ambrath himself might have inherited great wealth, but his father didn't own a tenth of what the House is worth today.
    Lord Blacktree on the other hand is clinging onto a status quo that ended together with the war. Siding with him is akin to holding together a collapsing building with nothing but your hands. It might work for a while, but in the end it only causes more damage and chaos than if you had given up on the past glory in time."

Spoiler
    Show
    those who make History DC 20
    Spoiler
    Show
    Fenmarel, a halfelf, was Deputy Major, with O'Kane's disappearance he became Acting Mayor by default. In the closing days of the war, he was accused of conspiring with the enemy and having had a hand in Kane's kidnapping, but the supposed evidence was never made public. His death was officially determined to be by natural causes as the conditions in the dungeons were quite bad, with the city itself under attack little could be spared.
    Last edited by TheFallenOne; 2012-02-17 at 12:26 PM.

27. - Top - End - #177
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

As soon as the mage finishes his dissertation, Magnus, who had been focusing quite closely on the words, responds, "In that case, five thousand gold... to me, not the temples... will be sufficient compensation for the task you wish of me."

28. - Top - End - #178
    Titan in the Playground

Chagrin flickers across Mirielle's face for an instant before she forces it away. "Fine, then, my lord. Your deal is acceptable enough." She resists the urge to imply that crossing Kelemvor's church can be hazardous to one's health.
    Last edited by Jeff the Green; 2012-02-17 at 07:38 PM.

29. - Top - End - #179
    Troll in the Playground

Keeva

Keeva shifts her weight uncomfortably. Five grand. Five grand five grand five grand; fourteen hours, metal cogs mostly. Plating. Dust. Lots and lots of dust hate the dust but five grand? Thats... a whole lot but how am I going to get it get it get it get it hey wait a second. Wait a second. That... that mage. Is he reading my mind?

Keeva looks up at the mage, two sentences coming out of her. In her mind, Are you... can you hear me? And aloud, "I'll take the five grand."
    Last edited by Cardea; 2012-02-18 at 11:09 AM.

30. - Top - End - #180
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

"Fine then." Jorran says. It seemed like none of them had any real choice in the matter. How irritating. Still, it was a good offer, any fool could see that. "I accept your offer." Jorran just hoped that the deal was truly what was being advertised.
    Frog in the playground.

I have Str 5!