New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 50 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171833 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Madness, Blood and Thunder in Ravens Bluff IC

Blacktree musters Jorran for some long, intense moments, trying to find any hints of dishonesty. Finally, he sighs. "Pity, I had hoped you know more. But at least we learned this may have been a hit aimed at her, not at me. Which is disturbing in its own right.
    You are free to go if you want. But rest assured we will keep an eye on you, Tolm. Don't try to pick up your former... career in our city. I must leave now, if you have further matters to discuss Barristan will handle it."
    The broadshouldered man he indicates must must be in his fifties or even older, but still in good physical shape. His face is all hard lines, and his cold blue eyes show no emotion; they look unreal and lifeless, like someone painted the iris and pupil on a orb hewn from marble.

Spoiler
    Show
    if you can identify where I stole this physical description from you already know a lot about that guy. No googling please
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff the Green View Post
    Actually, when you first put up the post where the gazebo started trying to eat us, I assumed you were pulling our legs and you'd put up the real post soon enough.

2. - Top - End - #212
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    *sigh*
    Actually, when you first put up the post where the gazebo started trying to eat us, I assumed you were pulling our legs and you'd put up the real post soon enough.

3. - Top - End - #213
    Titan in the Playground

Kidnapping. Well, that's one thing I agree with the saints on, and Lord Blacktree too, apparently. Mirielle studies Jorran closely. It's not remorse she sees. No, no remorse. But something? Something there's worth paying attention to. And in any case, that flaming axe thing will come in handy when it comes time to deliver Cybrarvain to justice.

She turns to look at Blacktree's stone-eyed second.

"Well, Barristan," Mirielle says, "your friend knows how to make an impression. I can't say I have any argument with his wanting to know who kidnapped his godson. And I get the sense that he is an honorable man, or at least can be. But then, even thieves can be honorable. I can't speak for the rest of my companions, but I could see myself working with him, maybe even for him, if you can lay my worries to rest.

"Our draconic guide seemed to think you might have something to do with a group called the Four Ravens. That bird he was following doesn't exactly make me less suspicious. Do you work for them, or for anyone who might seek to replace them?"

Spoiler
    Show
    I assume you'll make Sense Motive checks secretly, TFO? My modifier is +3, and hopefully the others are paying attention as well.
    Author of The Auspician's Handbook and The Tempestarian's Handbook for Spheres of Power.
    Ask me (or the other authors) anything.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lateral View Post
    Well, of course I'm paranoid about everything. Hell, with Jeff as DM, I'd be paranoid even if we were playing a game set in The Magic Kiddie Funland of Perfectly Flat Planes and Sugar Plums.
    Greenman by Bradakhan/Spring Greenman by Comissar/Autumn Greenman by Sgt. Pepper/Winter Greenman by gurgleflep

4. - Top - End - #214
    Titan in the Playground

A smile crosses Barristan's face for a short moment, but it betrays no joy or any other emotion. It's just a cold, dead mask, like someone painted a grin on a bare skull. It's nothing human, just another configuration of his face. His voice is deep and flat, and Vandroy visibly swallows when the greycloak's gaze falls upon him after Mirielle voices his prior musings. "The Ravens are long gone and they will have no successor under my watch. That's all I'll say to that."

5. - Top - End - #215
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

As Blacktree leaves, Magnus mentally kicks himself. Damn! One less question I can ask.

Magnus then speaks up, "You don't seem like a man who likes to mince words, Barristan, so I'll be direct. We've all seen what Embro will do to get what he wants... What sort of work can we expect working for Lord Blacktree?"
    All of this has happened before...
    and all of this will happen again.

Moving. Internet access is a bit spotty.

6. - Top - End - #216
    Titan in the Playground

"One, you'd work for me, not the general. Two, we don't have any tasks open for you now, but if we do it can be information gathering, hunting a murderer or foiling the plots of people like Ambrath in whatever way available.
    What you won't do is hurt people who don't have it coming. That goes no matter if you work for us or not.
    Get settled in the city, lay low until Ambrath realizes there's nothing to gain from you. You want work, you'll hear from us soon enough."

He gives a short signal, and the man who picked you up tosses Vandroy a bag evidently filled with coins judging from the sound when the dragonblood catches it. Shortly after, another bag is given to you. "For cooperating so swifty, would have been a nasty streetfight otherwise", he explains. 100 platin for the five of you is vastly less than Ambrath promised, but then again all you had to do is follow a cocky mage.

7. - Top - End - #217
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Magnus accepts the coin (after all, no sense in turning down money that's already been earned), and turns to leave. Halfway to the door, he turns around and says, "Anyone know a good place to hole up for a bit? I have personal business to attend to, but I'd rather everyone here be able to contact me, should they choose to seek my company."

8. - Top - End - #218
    Titan in the Playground

"Over and done with is good enough," Aya replies, taking the coin with a shrug. Abandoning a deal tastes bad enough without adding to it, and never mind who we made it with.

"I'll probably be at the Temple of Mystra, myself. Or at least, you can get a message to me there." Pointing a finger at Vandroy, she adds "And you might do well to spend a little time there yourself. You've probably figured it out this time, but using the Art for card tricks of all things is only going to lead to trouble." Adopting an innocent smile, she tilts her head slightly. "Not to make any particular judgements on conning people in the first place, but if it's worth doing with magic, it's worth doing without, right?"

"The Sanctuary sounded like a nice enough place. Not the type Ambrath's sort would frequent, either. It's in Swordspoint somewhere."
    Wriggle avatar by memnarch.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

9. - Top - End - #219
    Titan in the Playground

"Hey, I did it mostly for entertainment! What good is magic if you can't use it for a little fun?" He pauses, noticing the look the scarred greycloak from before gives him, then flinches away and instinctively touches the bruise on his jaw. He quickly jumps at Aya's change of topic. "Oh yeah the Sanctuary! I actually passed by that when I first walked through the city. It should be just one street away, right next to the park."

Spoiler
    Show
    there is a Clue card for the park. You can get it with a DC 20 Knowledge Local

10. - Top - End - #220
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

"In that case, I'll be at the Sanctuary, for a brief time, before setting off to see an acquaintance outside town. There might be some work in it, and likely some coin. Also, I wouldn't turn down a bit of assistance. Likely be heading out in a day or two." With that, Magnus departs towards the Sanctuary.
    Last edited by candycorn; 2012-02-24 at 02:41 PM.

11. - Top - End - #221
    Titan in the Playground

"A park, eh? Perfect location then." In case I ever need to make a discreet entrance, that is. "At any rate, if I haven't got anything better to do by then, I might take you up on that. You know where to find me." With a wave, Aya slips outside, doing her best to vanish into the crowd and shake off any trailing copperskins as she makes her way to the Temple.

Spoiler
    Show
    Spot for any tails (sometimes, being a bit paranoid is helpful): (1d20+16)[19]
    Hide: (1d20+10)[26]

Knowledge: Local for that park: (1d20+3)[15]
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

12. - Top - End - #222
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    OK, I can let Aya move forward as I'm reasonably certain no one else will go to the temple of Mystra. Can't say the same for the Sanctuary though

Mystra's temple proves to be an impressive mock castle, bristling with magical energy as small strings of lightning race along the outer walls in uneven intervals. The main entrance is a wide gate flanked by steel statues - though them being animated golems would be a reasonable guess - upholding a massive stone block that would completely seal the entrance if dropped.
    Upon entering, Aya can feel the unusual strength of the Weave here, and a priest approaches her. The young man seems rather informally dressed for a priest of Mystra, and when he recognizes the sign on Aya's bracer he stops a moment in pleasant surprise. "Mystra be with you, friend. I am Dalair Kerson, it is always a delight to meet a member of the Order. Are you here on official business or just for prayer? Either way, if there is anything I can help you with I'll gladly do so."

Spoiler
    Show
    knowledge architecture and arcane might reveal things

13. - Top - End - #223
    Titan in the Playground

"The same to you," Aya replies in greeting. "I am Aya Llewellyn; I'm going to be in town for a while, so I wanted to let the ranking members here know I'm around, should any business come up. And if there's a place here I can use for trance and prayer while I'm in town, that would also be appreciated."

Spoiler
    Show
    Knowledge: Architecture: (1d20+3)[10]
    Knowledge: Arcana: (1d20+3)[9]
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

14. - Top - End - #224
    Titan in the Playground

"I'll come with you, Magnus," Mirielle tells the blacksmith. "Kelemvor is worshiped less in temples than on deathbeds, so I won't be able to avail upon my church for a bed. Besides, if your work could be made easier by my magic, perhaps we could arrange a trade of sorts."
    Author of The Auspician's Handbook and The Tempestarian's Handbook for Spheres of Power.
    Well, of course I'm paranoid about everything. Hell, with Jeff as DM, I'd be paranoid even if we were playing a game set in The Magic Kiddie Funland of Perfectly Flat Planes and Sugar Plums.
    Greenman by Bradakhan/Spring Greenman by Comissar/Autumn Greenman by Sgt. Pepper/Winter Greenman by gurgleflep

15. - Top - End - #225
    Titan in the Playground

Aya

Spoiler
    Show
    not good enough rolls I fear

The priest's smile abruptly falters at Aya's words. "It is shameful indeed having to refuse you when asked for so little. We barely have room for our own clergy, much of the temple's interior is still being repaired and renovated after a recent... accident. We always have a suite open for visiting dignitaries, but I am afraid, forgive me for saying so, it is above your station. I'm sure though the High Priestess won't object to having you stay there tonight instead of sending you forth into the cold dark. Tomorrow though, you must find shelter elsewhere, it will be at least a week until we'll be able to house you or other guests."

16. - Top - End - #226
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

"I'll come with you, Magnus," Mirielle tells the blacksmith. "Kelemvor is worshiped less in temples than on deathbeds, so I won't be able to avail upon my church for a bed. Besides, if your work could be made easier by my magic, perhaps we could arrange a trade of sorts."
    Magnus slows to allow Mirielle to catch up. "I've no doubt it could, actually... I take it that you have something that you believe I could assist you with? I must admit, I'm intrigued."

17. - Top - End - #227
    Titan in the Playground

Mirielle pulls a wry face. "Unfortunately, yes," she says. "I suppose it makes sense to start at the beginning. It always does. Some day I'd like to hear a story that starts at the end. Anyway, I'm from Chondath, spent the last eight years working in the church's records repository. Last year it burnt down. It had help. Most of the records were destroyed, and several of my friends and mentors died."

Mirielle sighs, collects herself, and continues.

"I had some favors to call in, and I was able to find out who did it. An assassin called Cybrarvain. I tracked him up to Ylraphon, but the trail went cold, until a month ago. A friend of mine who sells spices around the Sea of Fallen Stars heard he's here in Ravens Bluff. So I booked passage with Asam, and you know the rest.

"So there it is. I need to find the man who murdered my surrogate family and figure out something suitable to do to him. Terribly cliched. What about you?"

18. - Top - End - #228
    Titan in the Playground

"An... accident, was it?" Aya replies, repeating the priest's slight hesitation without any obvious change of expression. "Well, that's fine, even one night would be helpful. Are there other members of the Knights or the Order here?"
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

19. - Top - End - #229
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Magnus listens to the tale, then responds... "Cybrarvain? I don't know much of assassins, but I might be able to offer some assistance. Still, a man that would burn down an entire library to kill one man... Seems a bit... excessive."

Magnus continues, as he walks, looking straight ahead, as if talking to the air, "I am not here to seek out old enemies, truth be told. I've had my share of them, but most died at the hands of the Zhents, and the rest, well, I couldn't tell one orc from another on a good day, and those... They weren't good days. Besides, I cannot blame drops of rain for the flood. I just want to prevent repeats of the past. I intend to accomplish a small amount towards that in the days to follow, while I seek out information on the Dwarven clan of Roldilar."
    Last edited by candycorn; 2012-02-24 at 05:45 PM.

20. - Top - End - #230
    Titan in the Playground

The Halls of Mystery

"I'm afraid not. A group of them was scheduled to arrive here sometime soon, but because of our situation they'll take base elsewhere instead. Tantras, far as I remember." He musters the green-skinned elf for a moment, but knowing she's in the Order does wonders for loosening his tongue. "Nasty business. The Gondites were testing some kind of flying contraption. When it passed over our halls, the defensive abjurations disrupted the mechanism and it crashed, causing extensive damage. The Turning Wheel covers the cost of repair, but it will still take some time. What's more, it's become a political issue with the Clerical Circle debating whether we have the right to use magics on our property that extend to the air above, and if so how far."

Spoiler
    Show
    normally you wouldn't get the whole tale this easily, but you obviously have a diplomatic advantage here
    at the conclusion of the conversation you are led to a quite luxurious suite you can use to rest

The Sanctuary

One needs to look very closely to see the stone beneath the thick vines covering the entire structure, and the inside continues the theme. There's a small entrance hall, with corridors left and right to the apartments, and right behind the reception the wall is simply open, giving view on a round atrium housing bushes, flowers and even some duskwood and blueleaf trees. No one is at the reception except a hawk that flies off as soon as you enter, and shortly afterward an elderly druid enters from the atrium, smiling grandfatherly at his guests. "Welcome to The Sanctuary. My name is Rowan Wilander and I do my best to make this place live up to its name. How can I help you?"

Spoiler
    Show
    currently here: Mirielle and Magnus. Jorran and Keeva possibly

lodging per day is 2 GP, which gives a small private room with a second door opening to the atrium
    Last edited by TheFallenOne; 2012-02-24 at 06:20 PM.

21. - Top - End - #231
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

The Sanctuary

Smiling as best he can, Magnus speaks, "Good day, Sir Wilander. I am Magnus Erickksen. My acquaintance and I are new here in Ravens Bluff, and were looking for lodging, and perhaps to hear a bit more of this fair city of yours. Might you have rooms available?"

22. - Top - End - #232
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    need to know where Keeva and Jorran head before continuing. If no information is given in the next day they are 'dragged along' to the Sanctuary

23. - Top - End - #233
    Titan in the Playground

Aya presses her lips together in disapproval at the tale. "Really? It's not as though the Halls are easy to miss. Although I suppose if the Gondites had the sense to avoid bringing unstable mechanisms near warded property, they'd have had the sense not to take to the air over the city in the first place."

"That aside, thank you for the information. I suppose I'll have to send word to the others when they arrive, but for now, if something comes up that needs a pair of eyes or a pair of arrows, let me know. I'll try to check in regularly as long as I'm in town."
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

24. - Top - End - #234
    Titan in the Playground

The Sanctuary

"Oh, yes I do. Many cityfolk are quite unused to the sound of birdsong mere feet away. A shame really when we unlearn to see the beauty in simply things like that." He bends own, taking 4 keys from under the table an walking you to the left corridor; it arcs to the right side and eventually should form a circle, meeting the righthand corridor in the reception area. Halfway, you come to some stairs, leading to the second floor with the same arrangement as the first.
    The rooms are relatively small, but comfortable. The bed's 'matress' seems to be made of what looks, feels and smells like freshly fallen autumn leaves, dry but soft, with a simple woolen blanket as the only concession to conformity. "How long do you intend to stay?"

Spoiler
    Show
    5 rooms free: 2 ground floor, 3 upper floor. All are connected to the atrium(upper floor with thick vines purposefully grown into ladder substitutes)

The Halls of Mystery

"Well, they did learn; they now built a hangar a bit outside the city walls for their experiments", the priest muses as he walks Aya to her room for the night. It is quite luxurious as befits visiting high-ranking priests, Guild's archmages and similar. Two large darkwood bookshelves stand nearly empty except for maybe a dozen tomes; either they are meant to house books tailored to the visitor's liking or for the books he brings himself.

25. - Top - End - #235
    Titan in the Playground

Mirielle considers the question briefly. "I think at least a few nights," she says, glancing at the three others. "I'm planning on staying in Ravens Bluff for quite a while, but I'll need time to find more permanent quarters."

She looks sheepishly at the rooms. "If you don't mind, I'll take one of the ground-floor rooms. I've grown to dislike sleeping upstairs."

26. - Top - End - #236
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Magnus paused for a moment, before replying, "I should think at least a week. I prefer a room off the ground. I've quite a bit of business in the city and the surrounding area, and would like somewhere I know I can return to." Magnus pulls out a single platinum coin, and four gold coins, laying them down at the reception area. "I would imagine anyone who is accustomed to travel would appreciate sleeping in nature. I know I always looked forward to the sounds of the forest outside my tent when I traveled. On a side note, I have cause to seek some minor magical gear tomorrow. Might you have an idea of the best place to look?"

27. - Top - End - #237
    Titan in the Playground

The Sanctuary

Rowan pauses in surprise for a moment. "Haven't heard of Quehulio's yet? One of the biggest magic shops in the whole of Faerun, unless you're looking for something really rare and expensive they have it on stock. Well, except scrolls, potions and the like of a divine nature. For those you have to look in the temples."

Spoiler
    Show
    Quehulio's was mentioned in the recruiting thread, all characters would have heard of it

28. - Top - End - #238
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Magnus smiles, and replies, "There is a great deal of difference between hearing of a place, and being able to find it. I've got no desire to lose my way in town."

29. - Top - End - #239
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    all of you have a pleasant and uneventful night, you can start the next day

Sallera
    Spoiler
    Show
    at your trancing you suddenly find yourself back at the moment you entered the deck to meet Asam, though for some reason you notice that the blond guy isn't with you. After noticing this you are shifted to another scene from your memories. The whole thing lasts maybe 2 seconds.
    Last edited by TheFallenOne; 2012-02-27 at 09:39 PM.

30. - Top - End - #240
    Troll in the Playground

Keeva

Keeva woke up slowly. She didn't even remember where she was. Yesterday seemed more like a blur than an actual thing; far less money at the end of it, but hopefully she'd be left alone by Ambrath. The coin felt good in her bag, but it was offset. She still hadn't made any progress on her task at hand. A whole day; wasted! Her Master would've hit her in the back of the head with her staff by now.

She readied herself in the morning light, getting ready to try and... actually do something today. There was Quehulios; she might be able to find someone there who wasn't ignorant to how things were formed. Maybe even get hired; Oghma knows she could use the coin.

Spoiler
    Show
    Edited because I'm a bit blunder-prone currently.
    Last edited by Cardea; 2012-02-28 at 12:42 AM.
    Just finding my roots again.