New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 29 of 37 FirstFirst ... 419202122232425262728293031323334353637 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #841
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Heroes of the Fall

At the Gates of Fex

"Such is the nature of my skills that they only work when the god himself is present." An outright lie. "Still, I would be most honored if you or one of your men were to guide me through the city. It is a fairly daunting site from afar, and I can only expect it is equally so once inside."

2. - Top - End - #842
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by THEChanger View Post
    The Weaver looked back and forth between the two, and appeared about to speak, when the swarm of bats descended upon the Green MorningStar. The Weaver intoned his head in respect to Silvar as he emerged from the swirling darkness. "I bid thee welcome, Silvar, Shadow of the Hunter. I know of you from the dreams of mortals, but not your heritage. But I may be able to detirmine the truth of such a statement." The Weaver extended his hand, motioning for Silvar to give him his own.
    "If you vouch for this silvar then I will grant him entry. But you will be held responsible for his actions." and with a thought The Craftsmen sent a sliver of his will toward the barrier granting the shadowy figure permission to enter.
    Sometimes it is useful to know how large your zero is. ~Author Unknown

3. - Top - End - #843
    Ettin in the Playground

Traitors

Contragh merely smiles and nods his head at the mention of Torvaag, not knowing who Jongo is talking about in the slightest. Still, he seemed excited by it so he must have been of some import. "I'll keep that in mind" he says at the myriad of warnings and talk of bad people Jongo mentions. The Wraiths seem to take this turn of events rather awkwardly. This wasn't a combat scenario, they weren't being heralded or being fled from in fear. They were just... Citizens. Something they hadn't experienced in a long time. They sheathed their weapons and merely listened to Jongo's tale raptly. At first it was only Miranda but soon the others joined in, chanting "Hail!" whenever Jongo called Contragh "Bunny". The Axe Lord was starting to regret bringing his Wraiths, security measure or not.

At the Sight of Jongoscion the Wraiths all take a step back, surprised by their appearance. Truthfully Contragh didn't notice the smell, having spent 50 years surronded by corpse soldiers you tend to ignore it over time. Still, it warranted the Wraiths to look at their garbs and shrug, the lack of smell was a blessing and a curse. They bowed in unison with Contragh's nod of the head. The 60 or so wraiths soon split off into three groups for each of the Jongoscion. One group split off to go with Teri, asking him about the myriad of colors he could make and eventually showing him their own blue spirit flames flickering them on and off in a colorful little rythm. Miranda inspects Bahbi aswell looking at his fins and webbed limbs. She turns corporeal, spreading her wings and showing her sword and tower shield. However she quickly drops the display at the sight of a great long grey beast. Rows of teeth in its mouth and fins like the Jongoscion but longer. She spears through the water, chasing down the grey beast and disappearing from sight. A few moments later a scream can be heard and she soon reappears in sight, riding ontop of the beast, swinging her sword in one hand and holding onto the beasts top fin with her free hand. She continues screaming and hollering as she forcibly guides the shark through the water. Bahbi is soon swarmed with questions about the gray beast and where they can find more. Matti is left with simpler questions, as the Wraith's that go to him seem to seek basic sea knowledge like what "Kelp" is and questions of the Jongoscion.

Smiling at the interaction he realizes the importance of time to relax. Insanity was a problem amongst the undead and if he didn't give them time to pause they would wesr their minds away in battle. The Conquering God looked down to Jongo poking his stomach and tells him "The traitors lurk in my city, Fex. There numbers are uncounted but I do know of their leader. But to understand the problem you must first hear the reason." and so Contragh recounted his own tale, one of a bloody unification of myriads of tribes. Of steel and flesh smashing against each other, tricks and ploys, and mighty siege engines brought forth from the bellowing firey forges of Fex. He seemed to be excited and thrilled by the recanting of the tale, even at the bloody parts, and he continued on about a rival Barbarian King whose empire Contragh cut in half "Yet there were still membrants of his empire lying about. I had recently subsumed a chunk of it and drafted the barbarian tribes as troops. When I invaded the last stronghold they had left an arrow whizzed through the air, aimed for my unarmored head. A single peasant soldier leaped in the air and allowed the arrow to penetrate his shoulder. Despite him being a member of the barbarian tribes I felt as if his act of bravery should be rewarded. So I made him nobleblood and blessed his line. His spawn, Triton Kilsen, seems to be less noble then his father. He has stopped at nothing to undermine what I have done, proclaiming that man should rule man and that gods have no right to rule." he soon grows angry, clenching his Axe of Domination "AND I CAN'T EVEN STRIKE HIM DOWN! If I do the public and his followers will turn on me..... Better off dead..." he creeps in the last words under his breathe, his grip unwavering. There it was again, the spinning coin, and for a moment the crueler side showed it's face. Shaking his head he continues "So instead I have you and perhaps even your Jongoscion change shape and infiltrate his inner workings, learn his secrets, and give me the upper hand to cast him out of the publics eye. Tear him asunder from the inside out, won't even know what hit 'em." he says, a cruel smile on his face from the mere idea. He looks at Jongo, raising a brow as if to indicate what he thought on the matter.

Into the City of Fex

Louis looks down at the truthsayer, merely shrugging at the way her powers work. He was a soldier not a practicer of magic, he had little knowledge to work with "Well then, I have nothing left to do whilst I await the return of my platoon. Might aswell pass the time, here let me show you the glory of Fex." he reaches his arm down to let the lady ride on the Phagos, it was only curtious. If Dasque accepted or not he'd proceed to lead her into the city. The first place they run into would be the Market District "This is the Market District, a veritable pit of cons and sharks lurking about ready to take what they can. There are a myriad of services provided here ranging from food or boarding all the way to mercenary work and fight clubs. Lord Contragh founded this district nearly 30 years ago and it has exploded in size ever since." he points out several things here and their such as a place to eat or sleep or a smithy here and their. Legioneires are littered about, roaming the streets, or standing guard over certain areas. Long ramps lead up to the top of the wall where rows of soldiers are positioned alongside weapons of war such as arrow carts, boiling mortar, and ballistas. With the market district done he leads her to the Housing District "This is where you will most likely stay alongside the Market District. My Lord constantly expands it outward and refurbishes it as the masses grow and evolve, setting up their own houses and huts or tearing them down for bigger and better homes," he stops with a smile "It is in all honesty the greatest representation of Fex's constant advancements forward."

He gives her a cursory overview of the Military District, merely letting her look at the outside of the Fortress that made up the entirety of the Quadrant. She could see soldiers line along the top of the Fortress and lines of them coming in and out but he expressly told her she could not enter "Unless of course you wish to join Contragh's legions. We take in all skills and traits we can apply, from artisans to map makers to everyday foot walkers." snapping the reins of his Phagos he leads her towards the final District, the Government District "And here is where me and my Lord Contragh reside. If you wish to interact with the way things are done around the city then come here." he points his lance towards Contragh's castle, proudly calling it the beating heart of the city. He turns to her and asks if she has any further questions.

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show

If you want Dasque to talk to Louis about something shile he was giving the tour then a kind of "Time skip" can be made. This was just an overall tour to get through it/set up for any questions she might have had (As the current writing works off the idea that she stayed quiet and/or just made one off comments.
    “I’m a Terrorist not an idiot.” - Me
    ░▄▀▄▀▀▀▀▄▀▄░░░░░░░░░
    ░█░░░░░░░░▀▄░░░░░░▄░
    █░░▀░░▀░░░░░▀▄▄░░█░█
    █░▄░█▀░▄░░░░░░░▀▀░░█
    █░░▀▀▀▀░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    █░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    █░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    ░█░░▄▄░░▄▄▄▄░░▄▄░░█░
    ░█░▄▀█░▄▀░░█░▄▀█░▄▀░
    ░░▀░░░▀░░░░░▀░░░▀░░░

4. - Top - End - #844
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Tychris1 View Post
    Traitors

Contragh merely smiles and nods his head at the mention of Torvaag, not knowing who Jongo is talking about in the slightest. Still, he seemed excited by it so he must have been of some import. "I'll keep that in mind" he says at the myriad of warnings and talk of bad people Jongo mentions. The Wraiths seem to take this turn of events rather awkwardly. This wasn't a combat scenario, they weren't being heralded or being fled from in fear. They were just... Citizens. Something they hadn't experienced in a long time. They sheathed their weapons and merely listened to Jongo's tale raptly. At first it was only Miranda but soon the others joined in, chanting "Hail!" whenever Jongo called Contragh "Bunny". The Axe Lord was starting to regret bringing his Wraiths, security measure or not.

At the Sight of Jongoscion the Wraiths all take a step back, surprised by their appearance. Truthfully Contragh didn't notice the smell, having spent 50 years surronded by corpse soldiers you tend to ignore it over time. Still, it warranted the Wraiths to look at their garbs and shrug, the lack of smell was a blessing and a curse. They bowed in unison with Contragh's nod of the head. The 60 or so wraiths soon split off into three groups for each of the Jongoscion. One group split off to go with Teri, asking him about the myriad of colors he could make and eventually showing him their own blue spirit flames flickering them on and off in a colorful little rythm. Miranda inspects Bahbi aswell looking at his fins and webbed limbs. She turns corporeal, spreading her wings and showing her sword and tower shield. However she quickly drops the display at the sight of a great long grey beast. Rows of teeth in its mouth and fins like the Jongoscion but longer. She spears through the water, chasing down the grey beast and disappearing from sight. A few moments later a scream can be heard and she soon reappears in sight, riding ontop of the beast, swinging her sword in one hand and holding onto the beasts top fin with her free hand. She continues screaming and hollering as she forcibly guides the shark through the water. Bahbi is soon swarmed with questions about the gray beast and where they can find more. Matti is left with simpler questions, as the Wraith's that go to him seem to seek basic sea knowledge like what "Kelp" is and questions of the Jongoscion.

Smiling at the interaction he realizes the importance of time to relax. Insanity was a problem amongst the undead and if he didn't give them time to pause they would wesr their minds away in battle. The Conquering God looked down to Jongo poking his stomach and tells him "The traitors lurk in my city, Fex. There numbers are uncounted but I do know of their leader. But to understand the problem you must first hear the reason." and so Contragh recounted his own tale, one of a bloody unification of myriads of tribes. Of steel and flesh smashing against each other, tricks and ploys, and mighty siege engines brought forth from the bellowing firey forges of Fex. He seemed to be excited and thrilled by the recanting of the tale, even at the bloody parts, and he continued on about a rival Barbarian King whose empire Contragh cut in half "Yet there were still membrants of his empire lying about. I had recently subsumed a chunk of it and drafted the barbarian tribes as troops. When I invaded the last stronghold they had left an arrow whizzed through the air, aimed for my unarmored head. A single peasant soldier leaped in the air and allowed the arrow to penetrate his shoulder. Despite him being a member of the barbarian tribes I felt as if his act of bravery should be rewarded. So I made him nobleblood and blessed his line. His spawn, Triton Kilsen, seems to be less noble then his father. He has stopped at nothing to undermine what I have done, proclaiming that man should rule man and that gods have no right to rule." he soon grows angry, clenching his Axe of Domination "AND I CAN'T EVEN STRIKE HIM DOWN! If I do the public and his followers will turn on me..... Better off dead..." he creeps in the last words under his breathe, his grip unwavering. There it was again, the spinning coin, and for a moment the crueler side showed it's face. Shaking his head he continues "So instead I have you and perhaps even your Jongoscion change shape and infiltrate his inner workings, learn his secrets, and give me the upper hand to cast him out of the publics eye. Tear him asunder from the inside out, won't even know what hit 'em." he says, a cruel smile on his face from the mere idea. He looks at Jongo, raising a brow as if to indicate what he thought on the matter.

Jongo had remained oddly silent the whole time Contragh related his tale. Partly, it looked like she was watching the Wraiths beat up the Shark that had foolishly come into these waters. Partly, Jongo seemed to be smiling at the antics of the Wraiths and the Jongoscion meeting.

But through it all, he had not said a word. Even the Band of Chaos had been quiet.

Contragh finished, and smiled his cruel smile, and looked to Jongo for input. Silence continued, and Jongo stared back at her brother before looking away.

Finally, after what seemed like an age, Jongo spoke. "I can see your problem, Bunny..."

"Hail!" Several nearby Wraiths chimed in.

"...and I agree that I could do what you are asking. We could tear this man down. We could so thoroughly destroy him, his followers, his very being, and everyone whom ever associated with him. We could do it to the point where no one would ever question you ever again. They would merely whisper what had once been his name, and they would be cowed."

From atop Jongo's head, the Band of Chaos let out a confused note, flat and off key.

"Well yes, of course if we did it that way we'd take all of his socks. That's a given." Jongo grinned half-heartily at the Band of Chaos. He then looked once more at Contragh.

"You say he is a noble, the son of a favored solider. That he wants to have man rule man. Which, I can sort of see he view on." Raising a hand to forestall any complaints, Jongo continues. "I don't agree with him, but look at it from his point of view. He's obviously just a little greedy, and more then a little ambitious. How in the Disk is he going to rule over an empire of his own if you are in the way? You are an obstacle to his rule, just as the Barbarian King was an obstacle to yours."

"You want this man crushed. You want him so broken that you may do with him as you wish. That's fine, I guess. But. I've another idea."

Jongo grinned, wider then ever before, an interesting glint in her eyes. Contragh knew that look. It was the same look that Jongo used to give when the dinner table was going to be... interesting. Someone would be in trouble. Sometimes, it was even Jongo; who had been found out. But that wasn't often. Most of the time, Tezzerin or Eliat would rise and begin to scold one of the godlings right there at the dinner table for something they'd supposedly done.

That glint in Jongo's eyes was the proof that Jongo had been the cause of their discomfort. It was the trickster's grin, the prankster's gloat. It was cleverness incarnate, and during these times, everyone avoided Jongo however they could.

As far as most of the family were concerned, it usually was an instant warning sign.

Someone was going to get it.

"Give him what he wants. Make him Emperor."
    Spoiler
    Show
    BladeofObliviom said:
    I've only seen a character at anything resembling this level of absurdity thrive exactly once, and he/she/what-the-jongo had the advantage of being written by Gengy, who I look up to as a writer.

"What-the-Jongo?"
    Before you insult someone, walk a mile in their shoes.
    That way, you'll be a mile away, and have their shoes!

Got me a Real Job™ (yay!). Still busy (boo!).
    ~avatar by myself

5. - Top - End - #845
    Ogre in the Playground

The Returning
    Spoiler
    Show

Carolinus has little time to speak with Vanara on the day of his returning. There was much to do. An army to stand down, an army to be admitted, a populous to placate, a prophet with many questions, a story both joyful and sad to be told to the Titans, a story of peace and plenty, and of a noble Overlord left alone. A massive influx of first people and men to prepare for.

A week later a call came forth to Vanara, asking her attendance at the Palace of the Dawn. When she came to the Great Hall it was silent, empty bar for the god upon his prophet's throne.

There was a deadly stillness to Carolinus, a coiled readiness that spoke of dire things. His heavy breathing issued out into the silence, his face was as stern and immovable as stone, his voice was deadly calm 'There have been reports of murders in Markien in my absence. Some speak of a visitor who has violated the trust I placed in them. My only law has been broken, and the blame has been lain with you and yours.
    'Speak Vanara, and speak wisely.'

Vanara’s eyes flared a rather ugly shade of red, as her anger slipped momentarily through her calm façade.

Show me these zvon împrăștiat, these rumor-mongers and gossips, and their plague shall be lifted from your city. Since me and mine folk have arrived at your city, we have killed not, except for twice – once when a fervor-wracked madman attacked one of my folk, screaming “Demons!” Lyris had little choice. As to the other time, a small child was being abused in an alley by a crowd of vicious men, and the red haze overtook me. For that I apologize – not for their deaths, for those were well deserved, but for my loss of control – but that was nigh on a half century ago, and I do not believe that your people carry grudges for so long. Since then, not a life has been taken, and many a life has been returned to the correct road.

You should be thanking my people.

-------
    Salus

Silvar bows deeply to both, though the Craftsgod's obvious distrust earns him a sarcastic smile to go along with the bow. After a momentary pause, he gives Amanda a quick nod. Reaching forth, Silvar reaches his hand through the barrier, the air rippling and parting as he does so, and steps across the barrier.

The bats melt into his form, leaving only his lone shape facing the two gods. With a nod to the Weaver, Silvar extends his hand and grasps the Weaver's, as if to shake his hand. As he does so, a reddish glyph tattoed onto his flesh slides down, reattaching itself so as to connect both their hands. Silvar closes his eyes and waits.
    My Homebrew:
    WIP
    The Fortunar Base Class: A Fortuneteller wielding a minor Deck of Many Things. Mid T3.

Completed Classes
    The Grandmaster : A master of animated stattuettes and tactical magic. High tier 3.
    The Hidden Word: An infiltrator with a wide range of abilities that works best in small teams. Tier 2-3
    Web-Spinner: A martial class based around using webs. Mid T3.
    The True Warrior: A swift mundane martial combat class that can dodge and slice their way to victory. Low Tier 3.

6. - Top - End - #846
    Ettin in the Playground

Wait....

Contragh merely stands their, baffled beyond all belief Wait.... what?.... What?!?? WHAT?!??!!?!!" he repeats, each time his mind only getting more confused by the notion "What will handing over my empire, the empire for which I fought a bloody Dragon for, the empire that i've expended blood, sweat, and tears to make. What will handing it over accomplish!?! I will not hand over everything i've planned And worked for on a silver platter to some greedy upstart just so I can save my own hide!" Contragh's face grew with rage and he clenched his fists as he turned away from Jongo, trying to simmer down from the plan. Contragh knew that grin all too well, it was one that warned him that Eliat would scold him over disrupting the armory, or Tezzerin for ruining a lesson. It was one that warned him of Jongo screwing him over, and today he knew that's what would happen. But Contragh would not be duped this time, he would not let Jongo guide his kingdom into self destruction. "Leave it to Jongo to opt for merely collapsing the empire. And to think I actually thought I was wrong about hir...." He thinks as he calms down, still facing away from Jongo.
    ░▄▀▄▀▀▀▀▄▀▄░░░░░░░░░
    ░█░░░░░░░░▀▄░░░░░░▄░
    █░░▀░░▀░░░░░▀▄▄░░█░█
    █░▄░█▀░▄░░░░░░░▀▀░░█
    █░░▀▀▀▀░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    █░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    █░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    ░█░░▄▄░░▄▄▄▄░░▄▄░░█░
    ░█░▄▀█░▄▀░░█░▄▀█░▄▀░
    ░░▀░░░▀░░░░░▀░░░▀░░░

7. - Top - End - #847
    Ogre in the Playground

Jongo's Plan

"Oh, but my dear Bunny (Hail!) you don't seem to understand. The first part of the plan is to give him what he wants. Give him the kingdom. And then... then he'll beg to give it back. After that? He'll be your strongest supporter. Listen..." Jongo leaned in close and began to whisper his plan, giggling all the while.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Some time later, after the details had been fully hammered out, and the plan was set, Jongo was still grinning and giggling in anticipation. This was going to be fun. But first...

"So. Bunny. (Hail!) Before we leave, I need your help. I've lived in these waters for coming on 50 years now. I've protected them, and my children this whole time. But as I explained, the Kraken (still a dumb name) is confused and angry at me, and would probably take my absence as an invitation. I need your help to discourage that. We're going to claim the Sea of Jongo as my own, for now and all time. Are you willing?"

Spoiler
    Show
    For those curious about the details of the plan, you'll want to read the upcoming posts between me and Tychris!

@Tychris - Jongo is asking Contragh if he's willing to help with a Ceremony, likely to create a rather strong demesne.
    Spoiler
    Show
    BladeofObliviom said:
    I've only seen a character at anything resembling this level of absurdity thrive exactly once, and he/she/what-the-jongo had the advantage of being written by Gengy, who I look up to as a writer.

"What-the-Jongo?"

~avatar by myself

8. - Top - End - #848
    Ettin in the Playground

Jongo's Plan

Contragh's anger soon sublimed and turned into a sly grin as the details of the plan flowed into his ears. Extending his hand out he looks to Jongo and says "You protect my land, I protect yours. But of course I will help Jongo." his hand pulsing with the same dark divine energy he used to create the city of Fex, bind Pikep's soul to his halo, and craft the Revenant species.

Spoiler
    Show
    @Gengy Due to Contragh's nature (As the god of conquest and control) it means his power is a bit overbearing and thus will try to sneak bits of itself in. He will most likely alter a few things in the Sea of Jongo because of this. Nothing catastrophic, something along the lines of turning the local Sharks into Wraith/Wraith like protectors or dropping a soul pool at the bottom of the Sea of Jongo.
    ░▄▀▄▀▀▀▀▄▀▄░░░░░░░░░
    ░█░░░░░░░░▀▄░░░░░░▄░
    █░░▀░░▀░░░░░▀▄▄░░█░█
    █░▄░█▀░▄░░░░░░░▀▀░░█
    █░░▀▀▀▀░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    █░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    █░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    ░█░░▄▄░░▄▄▄▄░░▄▄░░█░
    ░█░▄▀█░▄▀░░█░▄▀█░▄▀░
    ░░▀░░░▀░░░░░▀░░░▀░░░

9. - Top - End - #849
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TechnOkami View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    The Digger & The Earth

"He's never going to wake up..."

"Shh! Keep quiet, or you'll rouse Llassar's anger."

"But he's been laying here for three days. Three!"

Jethro could feel himself becoming more and more conscious, now aware of two people talking somewhere nearby.

"Have faith, he'll waken. He came from the skies just as Llassar did, didn't he?"

"True... but he didn't come to us unconscious, did he?"

Jethro slowly opened his eyes, everything blurry at first, but slowly it all came into focus. He was lying in some kind of fluffy bedding, staring up at a ceiling crafted of wood. His mind was still shuffled however, the impact of his fall to the earth had left him in a bit of a dazed state. Even so, his eyes moved slowly around the room, looking about for what was there. Two young men of a tribe not too similar to his own talked to each other about his state of consciousness and whether it would come to or not. Beside the bed was his trusty shovel, the Lantern of Twilight hanging on its handle, and his hat hung on the wall. At least his affects were still intact... though, he felt different somehow... he couldn't quite place why, he simply felt like a different being.

One of the two young men turned to look at Jethro.

"Look, he is awake! Fetch Llassar!"

The other one ran out to bring the God to the new one, even if he didn't understand just that.

"We feared you wouldn't wake up, brother. You've been asleep for three days."

Jethro tried to seat himself up, but the massive changes his person was going through coupled with the fact that he just fell out of the sky didn't take too kindly with his sudden attempt at physical strain. He promptly plopped back down.

"Here, let me help you up." The young man helped move him to a more upright seated position, with his back resting on pillows propped up against the wall.

"Thank you..." Jethro whispered, letting his aching body rest as he sat up, truing to return to some state of coherency.

"...could you perhaps get some water, please? My throat feels like a desert..."

"Certainly. I'll be right back." He lastly said, rushing out to fetch some well water.

Jethro let his head rest a bit, closing his eyes for a few brief moments. There within his weary mind he thought over where he was. This must be one of the outlying villages... didn't they say something about a God in their midst? Ah well... It would be something he figured out after he was able to move around freely. He opened his eyes after about a minute, his attention roused to the rustle of an opening door. Before him stood Llassar, a God. However, he himself was too a God, only now realizing everything which had happened to him. He felt a kindred light glow within the both of them, though his own originally belonging to another. Another... Avyra...

Then, it hit him like a typhoon. Everything which had occurred since that sunset: the Thunderbird, the Twilight, the Lantern, his ancestors, the Quiet Lands, Avyra and her memories, their souls merging and separating, the both of them reincarnated...

It was then that Jethro looked at Llassar not in the eyes of a mortal to a God, but more in the light of two Brothers who until now had never met.

"Llassar!"

Jethro reached forward, attempting to move, but his physical strain proved too much, and he fell before the God. He braced his blow on the bed post, and leaning on it for support, managed to raise himself to a standing position.

"I have... news... terrible, terrible news..."

Brief memories of himself carrying the dead goddess in his arms made his eyes become glassy, but he refused to shed a tear. Instead, it was dried into a piercing gaze which looked deeply into Lassar's with purpose.

"Avyra... is dead."
    Llassar stepped into the room, happy at seeing the man he had rescued was awake once again. His smile wavered at his words of terrible news, however... and quickly turned into a look of stunned shock as he pronounced Avyra, his sister, dead.

"What!? How!? Who are you, and what are you talking about, and what makes you say such things?" Llassar's voice carries a bite of accusation in it, and his gaze has changed into a distressed, accusatory glare.

10. - Top - End - #850
    Ogre in the Playground

A different tack

“And then I shall surpass the skills of all the gods, for I am Khrith, the Awesome and Tolerable!”

There stood what she could only assume was the subject of her search, an unkempt teenager yelling at a stick with a cloth tied to it.

She decided to go big with her first impression. “Mightily god, I implore you hear my plea and aid my people!”

“Mortals are coming to us! We shall fly far from here to make our plans in secret.”

She ran after him and shouted as he flew away. “Please, I will do anything you ask that you would only listen!”

He turned backward as he flew, dogging trees with agency unknown. “I do not feel like exchanging my actions for yours, mine are much better.”

With that he spun forward and flew beyond her sight.

“Not any god will serve our purpose, were they stagnant we would be forced to play a role for little gain. Furthermore, every being has many sides. By watching them unknown we can chose in our encounter to bring forth the one we deem most useful.”

“A tree? Your plan for fending of mortal attention was to climb a tree?”

“I had not considered you to be a lumberjack, you are adept at concealing your role in society. I will soon have to do such. I will listen to your tale so long as it proves useful to that aim.”

It was progress, of a sort. She settled onto a nearby branch.

“I don’t need to be a lumberjack to climb trees. You seem to have a bizarrely askew understanding about how humans work. I don’t know if other gods share this limitation but for your purposes there can be two scenarios. If they do, a better understanding could allow you to blindside them and would a vehicle to soon outgrow them. If they do not, you will never be unnoticed in their presence, for they will mark your missteps and soon become familiar with you if you continue pursuit. I am sure you would only make this error once, but other gods are said to be family, and once would spoil your chances. I can hide in a crowd, and no god would mark me as another god. Our actions would be well worth exchanging for us both.”

She had dared not look at his as she spoke knowing that fear would make her stumble and the chance would be lost. Her first glance didn’t see him and she looked around in panic.

Khrith hung by his foot from a branch behind her.

“It is better to seek than to be sought, and when one is sought it is better to be sought under misconception. Why should I not now use another human in your place?”

“Seek out the best mortal to help you overcome your inability to understand mortals, you will find one suitable. But the time you take could be spend aiding me and being aided by me. After that time I will have will become far more useful than a newfound stranger.”

“Then let us go”

She fell by hops from their tree and ran beneath him. “I haven’t even made my request yet.”

“It doesn't really matter, one mortal problem is much like another. It will probably be dull.”

11. - Top - End - #851
    Ettin in the Playground

The Digger & The Earth

Jethro straightened himself up as much as possible, until the hunch protruding from his back simply prevented him from standing at his full possible height. Such was the lot of a Gravedigger, amongst other things.

"Llassar, please, calm yourself. I have much to tell you."

Realizing the implication of his words, Jethro instead took a seat on the bed.

"This... is what happened, to me, to her, and why I am here, now."

From there on, he slowly began to describe everything which had happened. First, his sudden departure into the Twilight, the discovery of his ancestors within, the lantern, the revealing of the Quiet Lands, the broken and disembodied spirits he found within, and the mass of them weeping over the dead Goddess.

"I... don't know what killed her. I merely found her, her servants, and the dead surrounding a small, broken cottage. They didn't know what had happened either. No one did."

Jethro looked at Llassar, in both the eyes of an old man and a sister who once was.

"I couldn't leave her there, and the reincarnation process was already stalled long enough with the dead mourning over her. So... I took her, and stepped into the flames of reincarnation."

Jethro paused a moment to look at his hand. Worn, old hands, yet bursting now with a radiant light within that only he and his new divine kin could see.

"And I fell to the earth, with her spark rekindled inside of me..."

His gaze fell upon the God in front of him one last time.

"I am... so sorry. She truly loved you as a brother, Llassar."
    I've started streaming again.

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

I started my first campaign outside of an abandoned mine, just as soon as a meteor storm from the moon hits.

12. - Top - End - #852
    Troll in the Playground

The City of Fex

Dasque had questions for Louis, but all of them were about Contragh.

"Does Contragh take an active role in the lives of the people?"

"Who does he wage war upon?"

"What do you know of Contragh's other siblings besides the demon, Jongo?"

"Is he a righteous leader?"

It was the last question that truly stuck out, as her words were more powerful as she said it She leaned in closed and asked the question a second time. "Is he a righteous leader?"

13. - Top - End - #853
    Ettin in the Playground

The City of Fex

Louis was more then happy to answer the questions, pleased to see others as interested in his lord as he was.

"My lord will often times come and gather the people, discussing what is wrong in the city and try to ease their minds of what it is he does with all the power divinity entails."

"Contragh seeks to expand his borders in all direction, to unify every tribe and city close to him. He only declares war when they actively seek to avoid working together to better advancing the nations of man and enforcing order on these turbulent lands."

"Contragh has spoken of his siblings, giving general ideas to the masses and, when he has the time, going into detail for those who seek it. I have questioned him over them and he has given me names; Fayruz, a sister who seems benevolent and kind; with the flaw of being a mere idol of Baz'Aurans power. The Weaver, a brother of dreams who creates beautiful tapestries. Llasssr, a lazy and kind farmer and ruler, I have visited his lands once whilst I pilgrimaged. And Dasque, a brash and cold god, my Lord always seems to wave me away when I ask more; merely telling me that he knows little of the real her."

The last question however caused Louis to pause, his face turning hard and expressionless. He looked at Dasque, his brow furrowed as he heard the goddess. He did not tremble from the power, nor flinch upon it's sudden arrival. No force seemed capable of breaking his resolve "If my Lord were to grow paranoid one day, and in a fit of self assureness told me to impale myself. I would stab my lance into the earth itself and display my innarfs for all to see. My Lord Contragh is the beacon that my men rally to when the world outside. He is the guiding hand that steers us clear from oblivion. For better or for worse I would follow him past the edge of the disk and back. When you ask me if my Lord is a righteous leader it is like asking a farmer if the sun rises or a blacksmith if his flame is hot. My lord is righteous indeed, and I do not harbor even the very beginning of an inkling of doubt."
    ░▄▀▄▀▀▀▀▄▀▄░░░░░░░░░
    ░█░░░░░░░░▀▄░░░░░░▄░
    █░░▀░░▀░░░░░▀▄▄░░█░█
    █░▄░█▀░▄░░░░░░░▀▀░░█
    █░░▀▀▀▀░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    █░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    █░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    ░█░░▄▄░░▄▄▄▄░░▄▄░░█░
    ░█░▄▀█░▄▀░░█░▄▀█░▄▀░
    ░░▀░░░▀░░░░░▀░░░▀░░░

14. - Top - End - #854
    Ettin in the Playground

Rainbows in the Grove

The golden haired youth smiled back at Sonata, flashing brilliant white teeth as he did so.

"Forgive me, Lady Sonata, where are my manners? You may call me Melos. As to why I am here...well, the fame of your song has spread across the Disk. They say yours is the most beautiful music ever to touch the unworthy ears of mortalkind. I must admit, I was curious, and as a bard myself I wished to test the claim. Let us measure our songs, my lady - if yours proves the greater, I shall tell you where you might find your people. If mine proves the greater, I shall still release your people, but you shall owe me a boon. What say you? Do you accept my challenge, given in the sight of the three in the memory of diamond plains?"

I was old when the pharaohs first mounted
    The jewel-decked throne by the Nile;
    I was old in those epochs uncounted
    When I, and I only, was vile;

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by apocalypsePast2 View Post
    ...one could possibly refer to you guys' elaborate dance of allies-to-enemies-to-suicide-of-the-universe as some sort of weird art form.

If one were on drugs.
    Quote Originally Posted by VonDoom View Post
    Behold, the mighty slayer of strangely coloured mutant equines! The thwarter of forum woes! The! Dark! DM!

15. - Top - End - #855
    Troll in the Playground

Within the City of Fex

"Of course. Forgive me for thinking otherwise." She moved her hand to the hood of her cloak, and pulled it off, revealing her eyes that glowed of pure light, of a radiance that seem to come from her skin.

"I will wait for my brother within his castle. The houses of this city seem adequate for mortals, but I believe the castle is more suited to my tastes. You have served Contragh well. I am convinced he won't try to bend me to his will at first glance... probably." She smiled at the last thought.

He could certainly try.

16. - Top - End - #856
    Ettin in the Playground

In the City of Fex

Louis jerks back, his phagos snarling for a moment at the full sight of Dasque. Staring at her he eventually bows his head in realization of who she is. He slides his helmet off, revealing his short patted orange hair, and hands the Lion Helm to her "Bear this symbol as you enter the Dragon King's Castle, none of the guards or Wraiths will question you as you enter his chambers. I believe my Lord has set up several guest rooms in the event of a siblings arrival. Feel free to claim one as your own." He stares down at his saddle, not quite sure how to proceed in the presence of a god who wasn't Contragh I-... I'll go and check on my platoon, make yourself at home..." he diverts his eyes before turning his mount, readying his shield and lance, and kicks the sides of his mount while uttering a "Hiya!" and riding the sprinting beast back out of the city.

Inside The Dragon King's Castle

If Dasque were to continue on into Contragh's domain she would find several Revenant Guards merely staring at her, their emotionless skulls acting as a perfect masquerade for what they held within. The Wraith's would merely glance at the Lion's helm and proceed to ignore her existence, continuing on with their rounds and maintenance. The inside of the castle was very much designed like the city of Fex, except amplified to it's very extremes. Engravements of battles, a insane dragon, barbarians roaming about, and other historically significant events illustrated through out the jet black walls. Oceans of shambling corpses overrunning enemy strongholds with Contragh pointing up towards the bloody red white city leading them. This last engravement lead into Contragh's throne room. Within it was the hanged body of Pikep, his dragon form partly flayed, hooks and chains slicing into his flesh to suspend him high above the room, positioned to lunge at whoever walks into the room. Despite his death there is an unnatural feeling of hatred emanating from the corpse.

Sitting upon the throne was a old revenant even by the immortal standards of the race. It's decayed skin pulled back tight around it's body, it's eye sockets sunken in with the blue flames small and looking like mere dots. The Revenant seems to be working on several papers and scrolls in Contragh's absence, looking up it would raise a figurative eye brow before returning to it's work.

Spoiler
    Show
    I'm giving you free reign to roam about and do as you please in Castle Contragh, Jongo and Contragh should be back soon enough so you won't be left on a thread forever.
    ░▄▀▄▀▀▀▀▄▀▄░░░░░░░░░
    ░█░░░░░░░░▀▄░░░░░░▄░
    █░░▀░░▀░░░░░▀▄▄░░█░█
    █░▄░█▀░▄░░░░░░░▀▀░░█
    █░░▀▀▀▀░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    █░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    █░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    ░█░░▄▄░░▄▄▄▄░░▄▄░░█░
    ░█░▄▀█░▄▀░░█░▄▀█░▄▀░
    ░░▀░░░▀░░░░░▀░░░▀░░░

17. - Top - End - #857
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

[Chaos and Deception]

Roselia chuckled. Jongo could be annoying at the worst of times, perhaps, but at least he was entertaining! When Jongo starts talking about "Butterfly," she blanches just a bit, remembering that Haramhold was not particularly kind to her even at the best of times.

However, even that takes a backseat to incredulous curiosity when the implication of that final statement comes in. Jongo... ...REPRODUCED?!

Tentatively and somewhat hesitantly, the goddess spoke back to her brother/sister.

"...I would be happy to."
    Last edited by BladeofObliviom; 2012-10-15 at 03:10 PM.

18. - Top - End - #858
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TheDarkDM View Post
    Rainbows in the Grove

The golden haired youth smiled back at Sonata, flashing brilliant white teeth as he did so.

"Forgive me, Lady Sonata, where are my manners? You may call me Melos. As to why I am here...well, the fame of your song has spread across the Disk. They say yours is the most beautiful music ever to touch the unworthy ears of mortalkind. I must admit, I was curious, and as a bard myself I wished to test the claim. Let us measure our songs, my lady - if yours proves the greater, I shall tell you where you might find your people. If mine proves the greater, I shall still release your people, but you shall owe me a boon. What say you? Do you accept my challenge, given in the sight of the three in the memory of diamond plains?"
    Rainbows in the Grove

Sonata laughed.

"Melos, you are very interesting." She covered her mouth with a sleeve. "It is true that my music is the most beautiful to ever to touch the unworthy ears of mortalkind." She looked at him again, with a fox smile again. The lightning wolf ran overhead, so that lightning lit the sky.
    "But beware pride. And to think, did you really imagine that you could hold my people as ransom to challenge such a contest?" Her eyes glittered, like mirrors of rain reflecting the lightning as she wrapped the rainbow around her. She crossed her arms. "And what boon would you ask from a princess of the white city?" She laughed again as rain fell around the tree, but they did not become wet. "I have also been called the goddess of treasures, though they are not shared easily. Or perhaps you ask for rain?" She reached out lazily and brought a cupped hands of raindrops like diamonds, before letting them fall.
    "I will hear what boon you ask, and then hear your song first.

Do not mistake me, I will entertain your challenge... It is interesting enough you would challenge me that I am curious. But do not think you are in a position to offer me no deal. I will find my people if I win or lose. My reputation will not increase from this."
    She shrugged helplessly. "Unless you have something to offer, I will decide what I will demand of you after I hear your song."
    Kasanip's Sketchbook 2 Thread
    It is difficult to speak English, please excuse mistakes kindly m(_ _)m

19. - Top - End - #859
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by AntiMatter101 View Post
    The spirits had been waiting by Carolinus's side. Upon first sight of their master they rushed to him, but he would have none of it. He uttered a command and the spirits ceased their speaking, and hurriedly wrapped themselves awround his sword, vanishing beneath the metal.

Frellon barely broke stride, as he approached his brother. He had not seen him since the Fall.

Frellon wore simple traveling gear, various packs were slung across his back. It functioned but it looked worn, as though it had gone too long since a skilled hand attended to it. In his hand was the Sword of Heroes, the last of the spirit's essence vanishing beneath the sheen of the blade. Yet he moved with strength, he was quite visibly a god despite his ragged attire. He radiated strength, and at the moment, emotion.

Frellon stopped dozen feet from his brother. Assessing the god before him. His eyes wandered to the wall beyond him, and the fortress in the background.

"You seem to have done well for yourself, Carolinus."

His tone of voice showed that he meant it. Carolinus had build this place from the ground up. What had Frellon done but get his Orcs killed?

His voice and eyes hardened again with purpose.

"I have a score to settle with the Titans. Why do you protect them?"

Carolinus nooded at his brother's praise, yet there is no ride in his voice as he answers 'I have done well here, the people of Markien are safe and free, even from my own hand. Yet I have not forgotten that this liberty and security came at price of sister's need and sworn word. I pray the day will come when I undo my dishonour, yet I do not wait on it.
    'In the White City I always counted my honour as equal to your own, when I turned my back I saw my error. You are a better brother, and a better son, then I Frellon.'

Carolinus slowly reached down, wrapping his fingers one by one around the hilt of the Sword of the Titans. All the while he eyed the Sword of Heroes with caution 'It gladdens my heart to see you brother, it brings great sorrow that we stand as we do in opposition.
    'I know what they did to your people, your rage is justified. Yet so is their's brother, a thousandfold more.
    'They are honourable folk, as honourable as any I have encountered on the Disk. They are fair and noble. They only fell upon you and I because they believed themselves already at war. They saw us not as gods, nor as individuals, but as avatars of our father's hand. And our father's hand has been heavy indeed on the First People. They have suffered for longer than you or I, or even Jongo, have existed.
    'Their crime was one you and I have committed. These spirits you sent to me, beautiful creatures, very inquisitive, eager to learn. That is what the Titans did. They created life, in honour of Baz'Auran. For that their creation was twisted into the foulest creature I have ever beheld. For that they were imprisoned and sterilised. I have seen the deadlands, where the crystalline bones of a hundred generations who wished only for their freedom lay. I have seen the blackened and wasted land where they have languished for eons untold. I have seen the ancient Overlord, he who was Steward for Baz'Auran himself, abandoned to solitude for all eternity to purchase freedom for his people. I have seen their great joy in their children, so long denied them.
    'They believed themselves already at war with you brother, they believed you and I sent to complete the extermination and torment our father begun. Now that I have heard their words and have seen their prison I understand that assumption, as you should before you stand in judgement of them.
    'They have suffered enough brother, I cannot allow any further harm.'

Spoiler
    Show
    [QUOTE=Demidos;14047258]The Returning

Vanara’s eyes flared a rather ugly shade of red, as her anger slipped momentarily through her calm façade.

Show me these zvon împrăștiat, these rumor-mongers and gossips, and their plague shall be lifted from your city. Since me and mine folk have arrived at your city, we have killed not, except for twice – once when a fervor-wracked madman attacked one of my folk, screaming “Demons!” Lyris had little choice. As to the other time, a small child was being abused in an alley by a crowd of vicious men, and the red haze overtook me. For that I apologize – not for their deaths, for those were well deserved, but for my loss of control – but that was nigh on a half century ago, and I do not believe that your people carry grudges for so long. Since then, not a life has been taken, and many a life has been returned to the correct road.

You should be thanking my people.

One eye twitched, it was the sum total of his reaction, still he loomed even as he sat 'It is impossible to lie to a Warden. One waits without, awaiting only my word. But once he enters, this ceases to be a matter of my will, it becomes a matter of law. Any leniency I might grant to my brother's creation becomes impossible.
    'So I ask again, in full, what have you been doing to the people under my protection?'
    Spoiler
    Show
    The Human Spirit by kpenguin. The Raynnverse lives!

Vagrant and Seal by Smuchmuch. This depiction of Seal is so s'much like Smuchmuch

Sentient #6 Avatar by kpenguin. Clearly the best picture of a M&M character named after a Nevermore song there has ever been.

20. - Top - End - #860
    Titan in the Playground

Wizard-goddess

Sihlk just stared at what was before her. ... You told me she was arrogant, but...

I know, right? Ouran said dryly, flicking his ringed tail.

The two were disguised as an Owl and a raccoon, respectively, gazing down on the village Althra had taken over as chief and goddess.

...Seriously.

I mean, I can see why the villagers would see a wizard as a god-

I can't. Sihlk muttered, turning her head and changing her eye color from yellow to bright purple. Comparing a wizard to a goddess is like comparing a minnow to a giant squid.

Well, they haven't seen anything more powerful than her before. Ouran growled, twitching his ears irritably. Or as self-assured. It's probably overwhelming to them, and without a real god to latch onto...

Sihlk shrugged and flipped upside down on the branch, twisting her beak into an impossible grin. Sooner or later some prophet or actual god will arrive to put her in her place.

Ouran cocked an eyebrow at her, shifting the patterns on his tail into an arrow, which he pointed at her. This was YOUR idea. I honestly don't care what she does.

Well you better change your mind and START caring, because we're gonna kill her.

...Why?

Huh?

I'm the one who was tortured, subjected to numerous magical potions and rituals to make me into a shapeshifting monster, and tossed into an ocean to drown after nearly being set on fire and I honestly do not care about this arrogant waste of flesh. Why do YOU care?

She just stared at him, blinking massive owl eyes. Because YOU don't. So I'm going to.

Ouran stared right back. You're weird.
    Hate me if you want. But that's your issue to fix, not mine.

Primal ego vos, estis ex nihilo.

When Gods Go To War comes out March 8th

Discord: HalfTangible

Extended Sig

21. - Top - End - #861
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Demidos View Post
    Salus

Silvar bows deeply to both, though the Craftsgod's obvious distrust earns him a sarcastic smile to go along with the bow. After a momentary pause, he gives Amanda a quick nod. Reaching forth, Silvar reaches his hand through the barrier, the air rippling and parting as he does so, and steps across the barrier.

The bats melt into his form, leaving only his lone shape facing the two gods. With a nod to the Weaver, Silvar extends his hand and grasps the Weaver's, as if to shake his hand. As he does so, a reddish glyph tattoed onto his flesh slides down, reattaching itself so as to connect both their hands. Silvar closes his eyes and waits.
    The Weaver closed his eyes, and allowed his mind to brush up against the spark within Silvar. He could feel it, powerful, and familiar. Attatched, a single, silvery cord, stretching far away. The Weaver sent his consciousness through the cord, following it to the grand forest where Aramar lived, and slowly gave way to ferality. The two were indeed connected, two parts of the same whole, as the front and back of a tapestry.

All this took no more than a second, yet for The Weaver it seemed an eternity. His eyes flashed open, and breathing heavily, he released Silvar's hand. "This shadow is who he says he is. The connection between our brother Aramar and this one is strong. I believe, however, that I must pay a visit to our brother after I bid you goodbye, Haramhold." The Weaver seemed deeply troubled by Silvar's arrival, and by the divine spark within Amanda. However, his face quickly changed, a smile of eagerness scourging away any doubt which had been there before. "But! I digress. We both heard your call, Haramhold. Is there some matter we might help you with?"
    ATTENTION ANYONE WHO I'M PLAYING WITH:
    No news is good news.

22. - Top - End - #862
    Barbarian in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Ladorak View Post

Carolinus nooded at his brother's praise, yet there is no ride in his voice as he answers 'I have done well here, the people of Markien are safe and free, even from my own hand. Yet I have not forgotten that this liberty and security came at price of sister's need and sworn word. I pray the day will come when I undo my dishonour, yet I do not wait on it.
    'In the White City I always counted my honour as equal to your own, when I turned my back I saw my error. You are a better brother, and a better son, then I Frellon.'

Carolinus slowly reached down, wrapping his fingers one by one around the hilt of the Sword of the Titans. All the while he eyed the Sword of Heroes with caution 'It gladdens my heart to see you brother, it brings great sorrow that we stand as we do in opposition.
    'I know what they did to your people, your rage is justified. Yet so is their's brother, a thousandfold more.
    'They are honourable folk, as honourable as any I have encountered on the Disk. They are fair and noble. They only fell upon you and I because they believed themselves already at war. They saw us not as gods, nor as individuals, but as avatars of our father's hand. And our father's hand has been heavy indeed on the First People. They have suffered for longer than you or I, or even Jongo, have existed.
    'Their crime was one you and I have committed. These spirits you sent to me, beautiful creatures, very inquisitive, eager to learn. That is what the Titans did. They created life, in honour of Baz'Auran. For that their creation was twisted into the foulest creature I have ever beheld. For that they were imprisoned and sterilised. I have seen the deadlands, where the crystalline bones of a hundred generations who wished only for their freedom lay. I have seen the blackened and wasted land where they have languished for eons untold. I have seen the ancient Overlord, he who was Steward for Baz'Auran himself, abandoned to solitude for all eternity to purchase freedom for his people. I have seen their great joy in their children, so long denied them.
    'They believed themselves already at war with you brother, they believed you and I sent to complete the extermination and torment our father begun. Now that I have heard their words and have seen their prison I understand that assumption, as you should before you stand in judgement of them.
    'They have suffered enough brother, I cannot allow any further harm.'

Frellon listened to every word, measuring the weight of his brother’s words. He sheathed his sword, and stood staring back into Carolinus’s eyes, searching.

“I believe you. Yet my position is a hard one. On the one side, honor demands recompense for my people. On the other, honor demands your people must not be trifled with. I have competing desires, opposing oaths!”

Frellon shrugged violently, an outward sign of his internal struggle.

“You cannot be blamed, as their actions were committed before you accepted them under your charge. You’re right, their assumptions are understandable, but that does not grant them the right! My people were honorable too. They lived in a world of hardship and death, but retained something special. Now they are gone, all of them, even those who escaped the Titans. I was out hunting and…”

Frellon closed his eyes for a moment.

“You were there for your people. I was gone when the Titans fell upon them; I was answering the call of family. Now I again am forced to choose between my family and my people.”

Frellon drew his sword, hesitated, and thrust it into the ground before him.

He drew the Orunta from the sword, all of them, and they swirled about him silently, awaiting his commands.

“These are the Orunta. I formed them from memories, the memories I awoke in the Sword of Heroes. They are not the memories of my people; they are the memories of their ancestors. I did not have to do much to make them into spirits of Honor, they were honorable already. If there is anything left of their legacy, it is in these. So I ask you, Orunta, you have heard everything. Would you seek vengeance on the killers of your people, knowing what you do?”

The spirits were silent but for a moment, and then burst into a cacophony of voices, each straining to be heard over the others. They swirled, agitatedly around Frellon.

Try as one might, one could not understand them; they spoke too quickly and too loud. Slowly, the mass of spirits drifted upwards, into the sky. The murmur of their conversation among themselves could be heard faintly down below.

Frellon stood, head craned back, tensed, waiting for their decision.

----------------------------------

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show

If Carolinus wants to say or do something in this time, feel free to. If it changes the next paragraph at all, I’m willing to edit.

It was around an hour before they had finished. They had grown less agitated, and for a while seemed to be conversing forum style, each speaking in turn. Their voices were inaudible at this distance, even to gods.

They descended without much warning, diving directly back into the Sword; all but one. It hovered before the two gods, and it spoke with confidence.

“We have decided. We will not seek vengeance. Less blood spilt is better than more. Carolinus is working to bring peace to these people; it would be a greater tragedy to break that hard-won peace with the spilling of Titan blood.”

“Frellon, we release you from your oath of vengeance.”

With that, the spirit returned to the sword.

Frellon relaxed for the first time in days, yanking his sword from the earth, and cleaning it briefly before returning it to its sheath.

Frellon let out a long breath, and faced his brother.

“So, Carolinus, do you have a spare room I could use for a few days?”

23. - Top - End - #863
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Adding anything to that would be spoiling it. Very nice!

With a sudden release of tension Carolinus smiled 'Oh brother.'

He stepped forward and embraced Frellon, hugging his brother tightly to his breast 'You are welcome in my house from now unto eternity.

He stepped away, but continued to clasp Frellon's shoulder 'I see I am not the only one to suffer for his oaths. Come inside brother, it is a new day in Markien. Old pains are never forgotten, but they fade. I would be honoured to have you call this place home.'
    Last edited by Ladorak; 2012-10-16 at 03:18 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Vagrant and Seal by Smuchmuch. This depiction of Seal is so s'much like Smuchmuch

Sentient #6 Avatar by kpenguin. Clearly the best picture of a M&M character named after a Nevermore song there has ever been.

24. - Top - End - #864
    Barbarian in the Playground

Frellon returns the embrace, and follows Carolinus inside, savoring the joy that comes with family, reunited once again.

“The honor would be mine.”

----------------------------

It takes Frellon about another hour, record time his siblings would know, to finally realize what Carolinus had at his waist.

“Carolinus! You have a new Sword! It’s powerful, too! I can feel it from here, I thought it was the shield but it’s the sword, isn’t it! I’ve never seen anything like it! How’d you get that beauty?”

-------------------------------

Six Orunta spirits sped south across the coastline. Between them, they carried the broken bow of a god. Their instructions had been brief, but they knew instinctively what direction they must travel to fulfill their purpose.

Ever so gradually that sense draws them out over the ocean, they could not know this, but it was not they who were altering course. The coastline was falling east away from them as they maintained a southerly heading. They were leaving the continent.

Fully trusting to their orders, they flit through the ocean spray, unwaveringly beginning to traverse the ocean. Their orders burn at the forefront of their minds, for they are determined not to forget their purpose. They go, to Salus. They seek, Haramhold.
    Last edited by AntiMatter101; 2012-10-16 at 05:05 PM.

25. - Top - End - #865
    Ettin in the Playground

A Challenge Accepted

Melos's smile broadened as Sonata accepted his challenge, his eyes becoming predatory and bright. Even as they did, a heavy weight settled over Sonata's heart, and she realized the words he'd issued the challenge under were not simply empty poetics. His words had meaning.

"Thank you for accepting, Lady Sonata. And do not fret - the only boon I'll ask is that you help me open a door."

He blinked, and in an instant his eyes were no longer human, or shining blue, but orbs of absolute darkness. He strummed his fingers across a harp that was now golden, sending a note through Sonata as surely as a sword thrust. The note echoed in the air for a moment that was an eternity, only to be answered by a long, low note from his lips. The tone reverberated through the ground, shaking the entirety of the valley, growing in volume and pitch until at the peak of the crescendo a thunderbolt split the vault of newly formed stormclouds above. Following the note were words, lyrical syllables in no language Sonata understood, old and powerful sounds that hammered into her body even as they intoxicated her mind. The power of that old song threatened to overwhelm Sonata, and as the abyss loomed vast an inviting before her it paused. The thing that called itself Melos looked back at her, and smiled again.

"Come, Lady Sonata. We agreed to test each other, yet I've heard not a sound out of you."

He unleashed a single syllable, driving Sonata back against the trunk of the tree. As his song rose again, Sonata understood that her sole salvation lay in standing against the storm of his voice - anything less, and she would be destroyed.

Raising the Vault of Heaven

By all accounts, the fireball should have streaked into the sky. Torvaag knew of no reason for it not to. But rather than fly majestically into the black, the flames exploded not ten feet in the air. As did the second, and the third, and it soon became apparent that the corruption was so thick that the very air was heavy with it, a vast dome bearing down upon the land. It was a trial fit for a god, yet the elder elemental pressed on, unleashing a barrage of elemental fire. High above him, something shuddered, and as he continued he saw the flames begin to rise higher, their blasts ballooning outwards. Time is ephemeral in the dream time, yet it felt an age as Torvaag ground a dome of safety from beneath the heel of the cosmic madness that affected his people.

The presence above shuddered again, and Torvaag felt the weight press down ever harder, striving against his fiery wrath in an attempt to crush him. Yet that seemed small concern, as a few dozen confused Forgeborn rose from the ash plain, reeling in confusion at their sudden liberty.

The Storm at the Gates

It is a strange thing to see a look of puzzlement on a Dragon's face, yet as Fayruz leapt to the defense of the Fayheran Szenzaria's face contorted in what could only be a look of confused surprise.

"Very well, my lady, I will refrain from mentioning the insects again. You have resolved the purpose of my journey, and so I believe my children and I shall depart."

One by one, the lesser dragons began to rise into the air, floating weightless with but the slightest flicks of their tails to guide them.

"But as you have granted me a favor, let me return the courtesy. The creature that commands the Black Sands dares not strike at us, but his gaze seems fixed on your people. Every day, I am told, his desolation creeps out of the wastes and towards your people. You had best be ready when it arrives."

With that, a wall of sand and dust erupted from beneath Szenzaria as she ascended, joining her children as they flew to the west.
    Last edited by TheDarkDM; 2012-10-17 at 04:34 AM.

I was old when the pharaohs first mounted
    The jewel-decked throne by the Nile;
    I was old in those epochs uncounted
    When I, and I only, was vile;

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by apocalypsePast2 View Post
    ...one could possibly refer to you guys' elaborate dance of allies-to-enemies-to-suicide-of-the-universe as some sort of weird art form.

If one were on drugs.
    Quote Originally Posted by VonDoom View Post
    Behold, the mighty slayer of strangely coloured mutant equines! The thwarter of forum woes! The! Dark! DM!

26. - Top - End - #866
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TheDarkDM View Post
    A Challenge Accepted

Melos's smile broadened as Sonata accepted his challenge, his eyes becoming predatory and bright. Even as they did, a heavy weight settled over Sonata's heart, and she realized the words he'd issued the challenge under were not simply empty poetics. His words had meaning.

"Thank you for accepting, Lady Sonata. And do not fret - the only boon I'll ask is that you help me open a door."

He blinked, and in an instant his eyes were no longer human, or shining blue, but orbs of absolute darkness. He strummed his fingers across a harp that was now golden, sending a note through Sonata as surely as a sword thrust. The note echoed in the air for a moment that was an eternity, only to be answered by a long, low note from his lips. The tone reverberated through the ground, shaking the entirety of the valley, growing in volume and pitch until at the peak of the crescendo a thunderbolt split the vault of newly formed stormclouds above. Following the note were words, lyrical syllables in no language Sonata understood, old and powerful sounds that hammered into her body even as they intoxicated her mind. The power of that old song threatened to overwhelm Sonata, and as the abyss loomed vast an inviting before her it paused. The thing that called itself Melos looked back at her, and smiled again.

"Come, Lady Sonata. We agreed to test each other, yet I've heard not a sound out of you."

He unleashed a single syllable, driving Sonata back against the trunk of the tree. As his song rose again, Sonata understood that her sole salvation lay in standing against the storm of his voice - anything less, and she would be destroyed.
    Shatter the Sky and Abyss

The words of Melos had meaning. But so did Sonata, whose words were of the White City, and ancient, being Baz'Auran's given voice to the purity of the world, which she had collected and assembled, and so containing the memories and emotions, the entirety of the existence and echoed as if from Kodama mountain. So arranged the song of existence, the [Ar Maen] could stand against the abyss. So it was that meaning also existed in Sonata's words, who had used them to even hide away her own divinity and walk as a mortal in The Olm of her sister.

Opening a door, would seem a trivial boon to ask for if victory could be obtained. But even a human would not be fooled to lightly think of such a thing. Small favors should always be treated as if most important, isn't that a common proverb in any language? So it is in the Divine.

Even if the thunderbird and lightning wolf danced in the sky to the song of darkness. Sonata looked from the sky
    The harp that was such a mockery of the beautiful Harp of Dusk that Fayruz played.

The song that Melos sang was everything opposed to the song of existence, and as the song hammered into her heart, Sonata could begin to understand. Even if the words spoke only of power and the existence that is shattered utterly, like the clouds shattered by lightning, and the sound of endings and beginnings.

And in the pause of Melos there was order and connection, and so Sonata began to sing of something she hadn't sung before. She tore the note of sound from the ground and the land and threw it to the sky, and the song resonated as it tore the red from the moon, Sonata's song rang out the memory of the White Moon, before she cast it down such a scale that the bass of the harp inverted upwards.

Praise, Remember, From the Light Descending a family grasping of darkness below, bringing light. So it was that the song of Melos began the song of Sonata as she sang of the Fall. If the Darkness shattered the clouds, then Sonata's Lamentation shattered the sky, so the White Moon made visible shattered like glass, and the 8 million stars fell like tears, become diamonds and tears to fall around the chasing Thunderbird and Lightning Wolf.
    And these tears calmed the rumbling earth and grew into 8 million white flowers.
    Last edited by Kasanip; 2012-10-17 at 09:52 AM.
    Kasanip's Sketchbook 2 Thread
    It is difficult to speak English, please excuse mistakes kindly m(_ _)m

27. - Top - End - #867
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Let me People Go.... Or Else.

Pressing down on him. Seeping into him. Almost as bloody bad as the depths of the damn sea. But, have to do this.

"Brothers, Sisters, get behind me and start running. I'll hold the Punk thing off."

Torvaag feels it pressing down on him. But he's not important. The chains weighing him down, are nothing to the freedom of the Forgeborn. The earth at his feet starts rumble a bit, and the flames showing his his hide seem to recede.

"Come on ya punk. You take my Kin, you beat them down and ya bloody corrupt what they are. You had yer chance punk. Cuse ya, you are probobly going to kill me.
    BUT WHERE IN THE ENDLESS BURNING DEPTHS DID YOU THINK IT WOULD BE EASY!! I AM TORVAAG OF THE GRIMDEEP, THE ELDEST ELEMENTAL, FIRSTBORN OF THE WORLD, WARDEN OF THE DEEP PLACES, SHAPER OF THE UNDERWORLD, AND OLDEST BROTHER TO THE FORGEBORN! I FOUGHT KRACKEN TO A STANDSTILL! I BEAT UP THE STORM WOLF!"

The flames roar up, and he launches magma, blasts of flame and ash as he roars out his challange like a volcanic eruption. His emotions are running wild, and the ground is shaking, the tempreture is rising.

"Oh, I'm going down, but if I can take ya down with me? At least my little brothers and sisters will be freed." With a chuckle and a grim glint in his eye, he stands before the forgeborn that managed to escape and the dome. Raising his staff, he perpares, and unleashes hell.
    Power restored for christmass. I'm back!

Spoiler
    Show
    dragonflycave.com/newpay.aspx][/url]

28. - Top - End - #868
    Ogre in the Playground

Chaos and Deception
    Many Years Ago

Jongo laughed, and clicked strange noises into the water. With the Jongoscion still getting used to their various forms, they hadn't spread out yet. All of them tended to stay close to Jongo, for lessons and protection. It took a few moments, but soon, heads began to pop up out of the water.

Humanoid shaped heads, with no noses, and slick grey skin. They had large toothy grins, and their eyes were big and filled with curiosity. There were hundreds of them. They surrounded the giant red dolphin that was Jongo, along with his rider, and just stared in amazement.

"Well, Children, say hello! This is your Aunt Rose. She's very nice, though she can sometimes be confusing, so if you have a question, be sure to ask her. And then, if you are still confused, be sure you ask her again, until she gives you a good answer. Remember, she likes word games, so she'd be perfect for you to practice speech on! Well? Go on. Say hello!"

The entire ensemble of the Jongoscion all replied, "HELLO, AUNT ROSE."

"They are dear Children, Rose, but a little on the innocent side. Please, as a favor to me, be kind to them? Oh, I know! You can help me teach them. If you have no other plans, stay here for a few years, and bless us all with your presence and wit! It will be fun to have someone to talk with."

The sound of a flat toot seemed to be loud and disruptive, and came from a small silver - no gold - no, copper - it was a rather shiny ring that almost appeared pierced through Jongo's long red snout.

"Well yes, it's fun to talk with you, but let's face it, there are only so many ways to rattle a yak." Another toot. "Oh, true, we could try yakking on a rattle. But I don't think it would be very sanitary. Ah, right! Rose, this is the Band of Chaos. Don't mind it. It's happy to see you too. You should say hello as well, Band of Chaos."

Another toot. More high pitched. Friendlier.

"So, Rose, what do you say? Want to help me give my children lessons? Eventually, they may go out on to land - they can shape shift, like me! - so it would be helpful if they knew how to talk to people. I couldn't think of anyone better to make them understand words then my dear sister Rose. Say you'll stay? Plllllleeeeeeaaaassssssse?"

The oddity of the situation was simply palpable. Here were hundreds of curious faces, popping out of the calm, almost waveless water, and in the center, a large red dolphin with a woman in a fancy black dress sitting on the dolphin's back. And now the dolphin was begging the woman to stay.

And then the some of the Jongoscion joined in, all begging their 'Aunt Rose' to stay. To teach them. To live with them for a while. Many Jongoscion obviously didn't know exactly what was going on, but they saw a game that others were playing, and joined in too.

It was almost laughable. It was like having Jongo, everywhere, on all sides.

And the worst and best part?

Jongo's own eyes shined with glee, with joy, with love.

There was no room for doubt in Jongo's mind. These were her children. These were his family, just as much as the woman on her back.

"Please, will you stay, Rose? I'll even forgive you for the moose thing. Well, maybe."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Chaos and Domination
    Present Day

Jongo looked down at the pulsing hand that was reaching out to him. It was dark, but full of power.

A part of Jongo's mind screamed out - Anathema! - as it looked at the divine power found in that hand. Jongo took in all of Contragh again, his essence, his being, and understood; whatever Contragh had become, her brother was focused on controlling things, on being in command. Contragh's will would impose and demand a certain amount of structure and rigidity.

Chaos was freedom. Chaos was spontaneous. Chaos would not settle for rules, for organization, for permanence. It could not be contained, and it could not be ordered.

But Chaos could compromise. And Chaos could change.

So though it would appear Jongo made the choice lightly, reaching out his own hand to take the offer of power and help from Contragh was one of the hardest decisions that Jongo ever made.

It's not like I'm trying to mingle power with Khalen-Fish or anything. It's Bunny, after all! With this thought, Jongo clasped hands with her brother, and began.

Jongo had spent over an hour explaining to Contragh how they would work together to topple Triton Kilsen. There had been extensive planning, and many moments of pure glee as Jongo detailed what could or should happen.

There hadn't been a single word passed between them about what Jongo wanted done for his lands. As soon as Jongo touched hands with Contragh, Contragh could see why.

It wasn't needed.

Jongo had spent over half a century in these unusual waters. Jongo knew them better then he knew her own form. Opening a part of his mind, Jongo mentally showed everything within the Sea of Jongo to Contragh. The careful breezes, the small islands, the slow currents; the fish, the mermaids, the dolphins. Everywhere, there was life, and strangest perhaps of all to Contragh... there was very little conflict.

It was a matter of seconds, but soon, Jongo spoke mind to mind and asked her brother, ::You see it, Bunny? You see how beautiful this place is? It's so calm, so pure. I'm almost sure that Father made this place so awe-inspiring that it would have attracted me regardless of where we landed - or how. It's a cradle of peace, Bunny. And the Kraken is confused, and scared, and upset. The Kraken is sending beasts into these waters - likely the very waters that were the most sacred - to disturb that peace. I love this place.

I've been slowly, carefully, saving up the Chaos in this Sea to do something about keeping it safe. You aren't my first choice; Carolinus would have been better. But you know more about attacking and defending than almost anyone. Carolinus is being a grassblade - still - and won't leave his home. You came to me. So maybe you're not my first choice... but you are the better choice now.

So, how do we go about making my home safe, without disturbing the peace? How do we make this place safe for my Jongoscion, so I may help you in your lands?::

Spoiler
    Show
    I'd intended, at first, to write up the whole Ceremony and just get on with things. But. It's a Ceremony. It's a mix of two or more gods' powers. It deserves more then just one writer's input. Tychris, hit me up in a PM if you have any questions on where we should go. But hopefully you've enough information to make suggestions from here
    Last edited by Gengy; 2012-10-26 at 06:20 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    BladeofObliviom said:

"What-the-Jongo?"

~avatar by myself

29. - Top - End - #869
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Chaos and Deception
    Many Years Ago

...Oh BAZ'AURAN THEY'RE EVERYWHERE.

When Roselia was asked if she'd like to meet the Jongoscion, she'd assumed that they were some distance away, rather than right beneath them. She blanches in surprise and mild terror when they appear, but quickly recomposes herself.

She has a similar reaction when she realizes that Jongo is communicating with a barbershop quartet piece of jewelry.

However, in spite of all this, she smiles as she replies to the synchronized pleading.

"Of course I can stay for a time, dear sibling, nieces and nephews."

And for once, it was the truth.

30. - Top - End - #870
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by AntiMatter101 View Post
    Frellon returns the embrace, and follows Carolinus inside, savoring the joy that comes with family, reunited once again.

“The honor would be mine.”

----------------------------

It takes Frellon about another hour, record time his siblings would know, to finally realize what Carolinus had at his waist.

“Carolinus! You have a new Sword! It’s powerful, too! I can feel it from here, I thought it was the shield but it’s the sword, isn’t it! I’ve never seen anything like it! How’d you get that beauty?”

Carolinus smiled again. In the last few hours with Frellon he had smiled more than in the last few decades. He gazed at his brother with hidden fondness for his absent mindedness.

He stepped back from his brother, displaying both his arms. He lifts the shimmering black and bronze shield highest 'This is Black Buttress. I formed it myself, my first act having earned my Spark. The shadow is the foul beast I spoke of. The Bastard of the Titans. A great manshaped thing of shadow, not dissimilar to that which father battled upon our leaving. He enslaved tens of thousands, I will never know the exact number for I slew so many. They had no choice, and neither did I. I know that I saved 9,534 of them. It was his cruelty that saved me... Had he made it quick it would have been. But when he detected my weakness he wanted to bleed me... And he did. He was made foolish by his might, a lesson I have not forgotten.

He turned and displayed the power of his symbol. Black fire arced out into the crisp mountain air, shadowy tendrils slashed through solid rock. 'The Bastard was a thing created by father in part, a thing immortal beyond ourselves. It could not die, and lingered near the site of it's slaying. So instead I transformed it into something of better purpose. Even should it fall from my hand, Black Buttress can only be used in defence of the defenceless. One day the Beasts of Chaos will not held sway over the Disk and it will blaze with fire instead of dour shadow. I named it after the place of the Titans two deaths, the site of my greatest victory.'

Putting aside Black Buttress he drew forth the Sword of the Titans and allowed Frellon to examine the blade 'This is the Sword of the Titans. Truly it is beautiful, as much such a deadly thing is able. It is beautifully balanced too, you see yourself it's razor edge. I judge it equal to any sword I held in the White City, where perfection is thought and not earnt. He offered the hilt to Frellon 'You really have to try the weight and balance yourself.'

'It was given to me when peace was made between Markien and the First People and untold thousands spared. It is in-keeping with my experience of the Disk that this confused duality exists. My shield is the symbol of my greatest feat of arms, my sword is the symbol of my greatest act of peace.'
    Spoiler
    Show