Page 3 of 37 FirstFirst 1234567891011121328 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 90 of 1102
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Flumph

    Join Date
    Jul 2011

    Default Re: Heroes of the Fall

    "We'll speak about this later, Weaver. Greetings, sister, eldest." Soreal says, eager to change the subject. "My preparations are not yet complete, but I was not aware that the name of the ship was a matter of contention." Fayruz was sometimes melancholic, a mood that affected her more often than not. "But I would think that if there would be a name, it would be chosen when it is unveiled in its full glory." She grasps the Weaver's hand tightly.

    "We're all parents for this ship, don't you think, Jongo? We pin our hopes and dreams and fears and worries, much like a child. I would not burden it with a name to carry us all, neither would I give it a name without purpose." She asserts, pointing to the construction in the distance. "Whether it be warrior or artisan, a tool of war or peace, its name can be only seen at its conception. Would you name a work half-complete, or sum up a flower before it blooms?"

    "Or perhaps we're missing the point of the lesson that Father gave us. If such a creation could speak to us at the end of our labour, perhaps it could name itself. After all, names define us, and to force it on the whims of another into a single shape would be a cruelty unimaginable."
    Last edited by Orosboru; 2012-02-05 at 09:46 PM.
    Orphidian Urge: Corrupt youth throughout creation with insidious role-playing games.

  2. - Top - End - #62
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    THEChanger's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2010

    Default Re: Heroes of the Fall

    The Weaver started a little when he felt Soreal grab his hand. But he didn't pull away, instead giving a small squeeze back before releasing. "Well spoken, sister." He smiled at the assembled deities, and rolled the sail he had woven back up. "And now, I must go do what I can to give our vessel life. I think Rumel and Haramhold should be done for the day, so I'll have no complaints from them. It's almost time for dinner. Why don't you three go on ahead? I shall join you as soon as my work flies proudly above the ship."
    ATTENTION ANYONE WHO I'M PLAYING WITH:
    No news is good news.

    Awesome Hex avatar by kpenguin

  3. - Top - End - #63
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Gengy's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2005

    Default Re: Heroes of the Fall

    Jongo looked very thoughtful as Soreal spoke. Names were important, after all. And he knew that the ones she'd mentioned before didn't... fit.

    That's how names work. They just... fit. They felt right.

    And other than watching as it was built, Jongo really hadn't done much for the ship. Finding it's name - it's real name - was something Jongo could do.

    Brought out of it by the Weaver's encouraging words to move on to dinner, Jongo grinned, "You're right, Rodney! I am getting hungry. Soreal, Fayruz, you wanna take the slide down to the kitchen?"

    Not waiting for their response, Jongo bounded away, and jumped into the large white fountain in the center of the garden. He felt herself get sucked into the water, and swirled down and around, through a large tube. The water fell away, and Jongo could feel something odd twisting his position, and she suddenly fell down onto another slide as more water pushed the childlike body forward.

    "Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeee!" Jongo threw his arms in the air, marveling at the blackness in the tube. Finally, with a large splash, Jongo landed in the Kitchen.

    Spirits looked up from food preparation, unemotionally noting Jongo's presence in the dishwater. Climbing out, Jongo waved at them all.
    Spoiler
    Show
    "Fear the Gerbils, lads! For they will destroy you!" ~ DOOM

    BladeofObliviom said:
    I've only seen a character at anything resembling this level of absurdity thrive exactly once, and he/she/what-the-jongo had the advantage of being written by Gengy, who I look up to as a writer.

    "What-the-Jongo?"
    Before you insult someone, walk a mile in their shoes.
    That way, you'll be a mile away, and have their shoes!
    ~avatar by myself

  4. - Top - End - #64
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Tychris1's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    A chaos corrupted planet
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Heroes of the Fall

    Contragh- Dias of Creation

    Listening to Khalen-Het's war analogy Contragh nods before letting out a short small laugh "The soldiers may not disappear on the battlefield, but if the general is charging into the fray then either the battle is won or it's desperate and the general is mad. Either way the footsoldiers might aswell resign and walk away in either situation for all the good they will do." Listening to Jongo's speech Contragh nods his head a little in respect. A day where Jongo wasn't stupid and annoying, truly Baz'Auran had blessed Contragh today as a pre-disk gift.

    And just like that, as if the great one heard Contragh's thoughts and took a page out of Jongo's book in order to play a joke on the god of conqeust. Jongo returned to his annoying self, saying something about eating bubbles, and with that Contragh sighed and put his face against his palm; leaning against one of his thighs. Finally as Jongo left Contragh grips his axe and says "All this philosophy is getting me down." Standing up he bows to Baz'Auran and then to Khalen-Het before departing to fight Frellon at the steel cathedral.

    Contragh- The Steel Cathedral

    Smirking at Frellon it eventually turns into a full blown smile as Contragh says "Is that a tinge of fear I sense Frellon? Quite the hero you are," finally getting the humor out of the way Contragh's face turns more serious as he takes in Dasque's comment "There is nothing we cannot destroy. War has taught me much, including the proverbs of destruction. If it bleeds you can kill it, If it breaks you can destroy it, If it feels you can torment it, If it hopes you can crush it's spirit, and if it thinks you can outsmart it. All of the creatures on the disk do one or more of these things, thus we can handle any creature the disk can throw at us. And while scouring the disk of everything may seem daunting it is all too possible. You must simply do it mile by mile and country by country, there are only so many places scum can hide..."

    Staying quiet for a moment he ushers over some medical spirits to attend to his and Frellon's wounds. As his leg is being treated by the spirit he scans the steel cathedral, taking in the many duels going on around him. Until he notices the duel between Neive and a War Spirit, a smile creeps it's way up to his face as he watches her train only to get the smile slammed down hard at noticing Shirvan. He begins muttering under his breathe, saying inaudible and most likely incoherent sentences.
    Last edited by Tychris1; 2014-04-16 at 12:29 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

    Previous Avatars


    All Spoiler Images made by SmuchSmuch and Emperor Ing and Kasanip

    THE DRAGONS BACK BABY
    I am the Save-or-Die of the d20. Join today, lest your character take 20d20 negative levels!


  5. - Top - End - #65
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    AntiMatter101's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Illinois
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Heroes of the Fall

    Frellon - The Steel Cathedral
    Frellon looks up at both of them, his face reddening as he realized that he had spoken aloud. "I-I mean, of course we could defeat any enemy, thats not the question. I meant, if we encounter some monster that tries to kill us, what if it has some... thing... that makes it rather difficult to fight or kill? Are we just supposed to find the solution by trial and error? I mean, just look at your axe. What if I hadn't been familiar with that design? If I didn't know it was susceptable to break, you might have won the duel. On the disk, loosing a fight will mean death, or worse." Frellon grimanced as someone put a stinging salve onto his arm, and proceeded to bandage it. Frellon's expression chaged from embarrasement to curiosity as he turned to Dasque "But what do you mean? What of value could we learn from such cruel and evil monsters, asside from how better to fight them?"

    Frellon - Dining Hall
    Frellon enters the Dining Hall by way of throwing open the doors and sweeping though the enterance way. "Brothers!" he proclaims, "Sisters!" His clothes are simple and plain, like normal, but one might note that these are clean and crisp in anticipation of the Dinner. "I trust you have not started without me? What is this?" he adds, noticing the cards.
    Avatar by Vrythas

  6. - Top - End - #66
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    OrcBarbarianGuy

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Heroes of the Fall

    Dasque, the Steel Cathedral

    Dasque listened itnently to Contragh's arguments, and then focused on Frellon. As Frellon spoke, she could not help but notice Contragh's jealousy and even with all her effort her face lit up with mild amusement. That look disappeared when Frellon asked his question.

    "Well, learning how to fight them is one thing to learn, and not something to take for granted. Consider though, that the beasts below are masters of their own environment, lands that we know nothing about. They know the Disc far better than any of us, and though I certainly have no intention of sitting down for a meal and a pleasant conversation with a monster that intends me harm, I can at least learn through observation. Where to hunt, where to find shelter, how to overcome the terrain and weather. If you think of the monsters only as enemies, you limit yourself. Make even an enemy a source of learning, a source of strength, and you will never lose."

    She looked over to Neive and Shirvan. "If I didn't know any better, Contragh, I'd say you were considering testing out the proverbs of destruction on dear Shirvan. I think maybe you should take my advice and see what she finds so intriguing about him. He is ever so charming, our Shirvan."

  7. - Top - End - #67
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    VonDoom's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Vienna, Austria
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Heroes of the Fall

    The Training Grounds

    Shirvan's smile didn't leave his lips as he briefly glanced up at the window above them that lead into the Steel Cathedral, the very window he had passed through only moments ago.

    --

    The golden-eyed godling had quietly watched the battle between Frellon and Contragh with an amused expression on his face, for once staying well out of sight in a shadowy corner, as he had nibbled away on his apple. Yet when he had looked out of the window and seen the training routine Nieve went through Shirvan had found a more interesting fare -- while the battles between the two male gods were quite a sight, Nieve did them one better. Plus, whenever he sought to praise Contragh for his skill all the silver-haired god received were muttered insults and evil glares. At some point, he had gotten the message, shrugged, and started to leave Contragh alone, claiming that the warrior would make a wonderful god of the ill-tempered.

    With a smirk and not towards his sister, Shirvan dropped one level down onto the courtyard, right through the open window, landing much like a cat without a single noise so that he could surprise the beautiful trainee.

    --

    "I fear your teacher wouldn't enjoy that much," Shirvan admitted as he stepped closer, the molten lava of his eyes studying her face. He inclined his head to the side, though, as he moved close enough for his shadow to fall onto Nieve's form. "You see, when you're not training," he began, trailing off as he leaned forward to pick up her sword from where Nieve had placed it. "... and an opponent has an advantage over you, it's best to take it away."

    With a mischievous grin, he hid Nieve's weapon behind his back. "See how you no longer have a sword, while I have yours?"
    Characters:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Inactive:
    Mikado, Villainous Businessman
    Shirvan, God of Pride
    Roshan Sarini, Cheliaxan Summoner
    Jhael'dril, Necromantic Drow Warrior
    Olethros, Messiah of Oblivion


  8. - Top - End - #68
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Raz_Fox's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Imladris
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Heroes of the Fall

    Quote Originally Posted by Orosboru View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    "We'll speak about this later, Weaver. Greetings, sister, eldest." Soreal says, eager to change the subject. "My preparations are not yet complete, but I was not aware that the name of the ship was a matter of contention." Fayruz was sometimes melancholic, a mood that affected her more often than not. "But I would think that if there would be a name, it would be chosen when it is unveiled in its full glory." She grasps the Weaver's hand tightly.

    "We're all parents for this ship, don't you think, Jongo? We pin our hopes and dreams and fears and worries, much like a child. I would not burden it with a name to carry us all, neither would I give it a name without purpose." She asserts, pointing to the construction in the distance. "Whether it be warrior or artisan, a tool of war or peace, its name can be only seen at its conception. Would you name a work half-complete, or sum up a flower before it blooms?"

    "Or perhaps we're missing the point of the lesson that Father gave us. If such a creation could speak to us at the end of our labour, perhaps it could name itself. After all, names define us, and to force it on the whims of another into a single shape would be a cruelty unimaginable."
    As Jongo and the Weaver left, Fayruz took a step closer to Soreal, smiling faintly. "If names define us, sister, then Father gave us all the right names. Even yours is just right for you. And I'm sure, whether Father names it or our little brother-sister names it, that it will have the right name. Everything works for the good of those who trust Father, after all."

    Fayruz looked around her for a moment, and then knelt, her skirts spreading about her, as she plucked a dark rose from its bed, its black petals in full bloom. In the dark - as far as it ever grew truly dark in the White City - its petals would glow beautifully, bringing light into the darkness. This she offered to Soreal with a smile. "I don't want you to leave without something to remember from home," she said. "Even if we all stay together... you should keep this. I'm sure the people below don't have flowers this beautiful - Toreazan told me that, when he came back from measuring the seas. They have some flowers, he said, but they're nowhere near as pretty as the flowers of the White City." Toreazan was speaking about Fayruz, in part, when he said this to her, but Fayruz - as usual - missed the compliment.

    "I should be going," she continued, after a moment. "Father expects me to be ready for the banquet tonight, and I don't want to disappoint him! This is the most important banquet we've ever been to, so I really should look my best." An empty worry, given how radiant Fayruz is at every banquet, how resplendent in her brilliant silks, with her crown of silver and starlight trapped within colorless jewels. But Fayruz worries, regardless, for tonight she hopes to be given her special task for the journey, and if there is anything out of place, anything she does wrong - why, Father might not tell her, or might chastise her for being an imperfect reflection of his glory!
    -build that wall and build it strong-
    Kasanip - best artist; Rarity - best smile; Thanqol - good Question
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by PhoeKun View Post
    Raz, you scoundrel! You planned this!
    Quote Originally Posted by BladeofObliviom View Post
    Great, and now I'm imagining what Raz's profile on a dating site would look like. "Must be okay with veils."
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasanip View Post
    I don't think there is such a time to have veils that it is not the fault of Raz_Fox.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dervag View Post
    It's a freaking Romulan dump truck. The Romulans are no more likely to build an unarmed warp-capable ship than they are to become a hippy commune.

  9. - Top - End - #69
    Ettin in the Playground
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Australia

    Default Re: Heroes of the Fall

    Kalandor having hinished fiddling with the cards sets them down, facedown ofcourse...

    "Ah Rose, this game will be fun! Did you happen to bring your game face and those shifting cards of yours by any chance.."

    Then he turns his head facing Frellon, and rises from his stool.

    "Brother! I was wondering if we could get you here. Your both just a little late but I'm sure we can all redraw, we did only just draw, and we all know my luck."

    If possible his bright smile grows even brighter, his eyes sparkling at the prospects of the game.
    Last edited by Erik Vale; 2012-02-09 at 05:11 PM.
    Spoiler: Quotes!
    Show

    Quote Originally Posted by Sun Hunter's Recruitment
    Quote Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
    Saying no to a Sun's Hunter is as close as it gets to an invitation to have your place destroyed by them)\
    Quote Originally Posted by Vedhin View Post
    In other words, be nice to the murderhobos so they don't murder you?
    Quote Originally Posted by JanusJones View Post
    The professional, well-funded, well-backed, card-carrying, licensed murderhobos, yes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chilingsworth View Post
    Congrats, you made me laugh hard enough to draw my family's attention.

  10. - Top - End - #70
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Demidos's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Heroes of the Fall

    Aramar smiles at the sight of the card players. He sits nearby, watching intently, but not playing...yet. He will watch the game before deciding to play. As he watches, he absent-mindedly fiddles his hands, creating a small tower of green energy that slowly turns to purple, then dissolves into gold fire. A tiny glowing blue shield appears above his hands and wee silver arrows appear from the other and splinter themselves against the shield's impregnable surface. A wolf appears, and begins fighting a dragon, a small shimmer of red showing where the dragon's breath glances off an invisible forcefield surrounding the wolf. He idly wonders if any of his siblings are going to notice his presence.
    Avatar by Sgt. Pepper
    Former Avatars by
    Spoiler
    Show
    MethosH

    My Characters:
    Flutter: Level 20 Tristalt

    My Homebrew:
    WIP
    The Fortunar Base Class

    Completed Classes
    The Grandmaster : A master of animated stattuettes and tactical magic. High tier 3.

    The Hidden Word: An infiltrator with a wide range of abilities that works best in small teams. Tier 2-3

    Web-Spinner: A martial class based around using webs. Mid T3.


  11. - Top - End - #71
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Nefarion Xid's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2008

    Default Re: Heroes of the Fall

    "Wealth in a society without want is meaningless, Aramar," hummed Lossethir as he thumbed up the tips of his cards at the table's edge and sent them flying towards the muck pile with a flick of his nail and a roll of his eyes.

    "We could just as easily make wagers on Go or Chess. The only thing different about my cards is the element of luck. The skill is the same, only the skill here is deceit."

    Downing the cup from Brandis, he reclined in his chair until he could prop his knee against the table and nestled his hands behind his head until the hand was done.

    "And I'd wager that's the most important skill to have on a society that leaves you wanting -- the ability to lie and turn good luck to bad... and downplay your good luck."

    Laughing, he turned to Faden. "That will suffice for a lesson, eh?"
    Last edited by Nefarion Xid; 2012-02-07 at 12:54 AM.

  12. - Top - End - #72
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Demidos's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Heroes of the Fall

    Aramar laughed disarmingly You are right of course. But the skill will serve you well in the mortal world -- at any rate, forgive me if I sounded disparaging, that was not my intent. Is there room for another at the table? Aramar asks with a bit of a grin.
    Last edited by Demidos; 2012-02-07 at 01:54 AM.
    Avatar by Sgt. Pepper
    Former Avatars by
    Spoiler
    Show
    MethosH

    My Characters:
    Flutter: Level 20 Tristalt

    My Homebrew:
    WIP
    The Fortunar Base Class

    Completed Classes
    The Grandmaster : A master of animated stattuettes and tactical magic. High tier 3.

    The Hidden Word: An infiltrator with a wide range of abilities that works best in small teams. Tier 2-3

    Web-Spinner: A martial class based around using webs. Mid T3.


  13. - Top - End - #73
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    VonDoom's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Vienna, Austria
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Heroes of the Fall

    The Dining Hall

    The entrance opened, revealing the familiar face of Shirvan, a thoughtful expression thereupon. What great mysteries the silver-haired child of Baz'Auran may have been pondering quickly were dismissed as he slowly walked towards the center of the room, hungry eyes roaming over the plentiful food already assembled for their eating pleasure.

    The hunger for entertainment prevailed, however, when his golden eyes took notice of the table Lossethir and the others were at, apparently involved in some sort of game. Curiosity apparent on his face, Shirvan approached, peering over Faden's shoulder to get a look at the cards his scholarly brother was holding.

    "Well now, this looks interesting," he commented as he rubbed his chin, once the current hand had finished, looking a little puzzled by the mechanics behind the whole shindig. "How do you play?"
    Last edited by VonDoom; 2012-02-07 at 08:15 AM.
    Characters:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Inactive:
    Mikado, Villainous Businessman
    Shirvan, God of Pride
    Roshan Sarini, Cheliaxan Summoner
    Jhael'dril, Necromantic Drow Warrior
    Olethros, Messiah of Oblivion


  14. - Top - End - #74
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    shorewood's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Heroes of the Fall

    "Its quite simple. You sit here and slowly give your chips away to the other players." said Haramhold motioning to his ever decreasing pile of chips.
    Sometimes it is useful to know how large your zero is. ~Author Unknown

  15. - Top - End - #75
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Jade_Tarem's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Elsewhere
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Heroes of the Fall

    "There's no need to be so bitter." Faden smirks, "As Lossethir pointed out, we want for nothing, and the chips are meaningless. As we continue to play, we get better at the game's underlying skills - mathematics, intuition, deception, reading other people..." He glances at his cards - a terrible hand, to be sure - and adds, "...and what does Loss get? Chips! You see, it's everyone else who profits from this game, regardless of who wins or loses."
    Spoiler: Now Playing...
    Show
    The Game Master in Happily Ever After (Pathfinder)
    Harmony "NetFire" Argall, Cyborg Decker in In the Shade of the Apple Tree (Shadowrun 5e)
    The Storyteller in The Vision of Light (Exalted 2.5e)
    Kith "Spider" Kitusen, Mercenary for Hire in The Playground 7: City of Ashes (Structured Freeform)
    Amazing Zealot avatar by Elder Tsofu

  16. - Top - End - #76
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    VonDoom's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Vienna, Austria
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Heroes of the Fall

    A frown briefly crossed Shirvan's face at Haramhold's remark, but after Faden's response it was quickly replaced by a jovial grin, followed by a pat on the smith's shoulders. "Perhaps, if you make a particularly nice set of cards for him, good Loss will teach you a trick or two?" The Silverhair winked, hoping that a reminder of the things Haramhold could do well, as opposed to what he could not, would lighten the burly man's mood.

    "Still!" he proclaimed, letting go of his brother's shoulder, "how does one play this game? I've an inclination to try my hand at it." He took a step back and, without looking, pulled a chair from the next table over. For the moment the future God of Pride didn't actually sit down, however, preferring to wait until he had gained the insight he sought.
    Last edited by VonDoom; 2012-02-07 at 10:43 AM.
    Characters:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Inactive:
    Mikado, Villainous Businessman
    Shirvan, God of Pride
    Roshan Sarini, Cheliaxan Summoner
    Jhael'dril, Necromantic Drow Warrior
    Olethros, Messiah of Oblivion


  17. - Top - End - #77
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    shorewood's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Heroes of the Fall

    "I'm afraid I'm just a little nervous with anticipation that's all. We will be finished with the ship soon and off we go to full fill Father's great and mysterious plan." Said Haramhold. Draining his glass He motions for a spirit to refill it.

    "In a way its just like this game. We are dealt a hand and we have to play it as best as we can." Looking at the scroll where Lossethir had written the rules Haramhold continues "And sometimes we must take risks. All in."
    Sometimes it is useful to know how large your zero is. ~Author Unknown

  18. - Top - End - #78
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    AntiMatter101's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Illinois
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Heroes of the Fall

    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Erik Vale View Post
    Kalandor having hinished fiddling with the cards sets them down, facedown ofcourse...

    "Ah Rose, the one person who poses a chalenge, Did you bring your game face and those shifting cards of yours.."

    Then he turns his head facing Frellon, and rises from his stool.

    "Brother! I was wondering if we could get you here. Your both just a little late but I'm sure we can all redraw, we did only just draw, and we all know my luck."

    If possible his bright smile grows even brighter, his eyes sparkling at the prospects of the game.

    The Dining Hall

    Frellon return's Kalandor's smile, striding to pull up a seat next to him. "I could play a few hands, but dont stop this one on my account." Frellon takes a seat, adjusting the ceremonial blade at his belt so as to sit properly. He motions a nearby spirit for an Ale, and tries to attract the attention of someone near the scroll. "I'd like to watch the game a little first anyway, hey, pass me the rule scroll would you?"


    The Steel Cathedral
    Frellon ponders Dasque's words with rapt attention, soaking in the idea as if he had never really thought of it before.

    "Thats ingenious!" Frellon exclaimes, giving Dasque a friendly push. "Even the worst of them have to survive somehow right? Who knows what we could find if we followed a monster around!"

    Frellon laughs, "Perhaps one could even lead us to a buried treasure!"
    Last edited by AntiMatter101; 2012-02-07 at 10:14 PM.
    Avatar by Vrythas

  19. - Top - End - #79
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    OrcBarbarianGuy

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Heroes of the Fall

    Dasque-Steel Cathedral

    Dasque smiled at Frellon's understanding. "Shine a light unto everything borther, and everything becomes more interesting." She stood up, letting the sun catch her silvery hair. It is time I prepared for the banquet. I will see you both there."

    Spoiler
    Show
    If Contragh would like the last word as she leaves, feel free.

  20. - Top - End - #80
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    The_Snark's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2006

    Default Re: Heroes of the Fall

    The Training Ground

    Laughter and chagrin warred for dominance on Nieve's face. Laughter won. "So I see! I shall remember not to trust you so much in future, and keep my weapon close at hand when you are near. But - I wonder if you've overlooked something—" and with that she lunged, slamming her shoulder into Shirvan's chest. Her free hand scrabbled at his belt, trying to grab his sword. (No, not that sword.) But he was fast, and before she'd managed to jerk the blade loose from its sheath he'd taken hold of her arm with his free hand; in response, she elbowed him in the gut. He kept hold of her, but dropped his stolen sword to better fend her off, and...

    It was impossible to tell who staggered first, but they both went down in a tangle of limbs, rolling off the flagstones and onto the gravel of the sparring grounds. After a few seconds of struggle, Nieve wriggled out from beneath her taller brother and seated herself firmly on his chest, his sword—in fact his entire scabbard, belt and all—now firmly in her grasp. She held the edge just above his throat, smiling and looking extremely pleased with herself and the world.

    "You shouldn't point your sword away from your enemy, Shirvan," she said playfully. "See where it gets you?"
    Last edited by The_Snark; 2012-02-08 at 07:07 AM.
    Avatar by Ifni. Thanks!

  21. - Top - End - #81
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    VonDoom's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Vienna, Austria
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Heroes of the Fall

    The Training Ground

    The expression that Nieve held by the end of their little struggle was mirrored in Shirvan's own face; however, in his case, it had been there since the beginning. Even with the cold marble beneath his back and the woman's weight on him, he looked strangely comfortable where he was, despite the possibility of a very close shave if he thought to move.

    Golden eyes trailed lazily along the edge pointed at him, then her slim arm and finally towards Nieve's brown eyes. "Perhaps," the future god began shamelessly as his smile grew into a wicked grin, "I should do it more often, then." He clearly liked the results it had brought him this time, after all. With a quick shift he crossed his hands behind his back, apparently quite relaxed. "Ah, but you are a quick learner; now, were you planning to do something with that sword, or are you going to thank me?" His right eyebrow shot high, though his tone sounded more playful than anything else.

    Spoiler
    Show
    The eyes in your picture look brown-ish, so I went with that. Didn't find an actual color denoted in your character profile writeup.
    Characters:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Inactive:
    Mikado, Villainous Businessman
    Shirvan, God of Pride
    Roshan Sarini, Cheliaxan Summoner
    Jhael'dril, Necromantic Drow Warrior
    Olethros, Messiah of Oblivion


  22. - Top - End - #82
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Tectonic Robot's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    The States
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Heroes of the Fall

    Llassar - Dining Hall
    From a side room a tall, gangly scarecrow of a man steps into the dining hall, his gait slow and unhurried, an expression of dreamy thoughtlessness on his face. He takes a seat and puts his feet on the table, pulling his hat over his eyes as he listens to the hubbub from the room- at least until he realizes his brother and sisters are playing a game next to him!

    "What are you all doing here so early? The banquet isn't starting early, is it?"
    Proud member of the Gnomish Wanderer fanclub!

    Spoiler: Look at this cool thing!
    Show

  23. - Top - End - #83
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Gengy's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2005

    Default Re: Heroes of the Fall

    Dining Hall Kitchen, aka, the Grand Kitchen

    What luck! Jongo peered out through a small window from the Kitchen into the Dining Hall to see everyone already assembled. But best of all... Llassar wasn't in the Grand Kitchen.

    Jongo felt that the great Baz'Auran ruled over all. But Jongo's younger brother Llassar seemed to hold domain inside of any Kitchen he stepped in, and nothing and no one could make Cookie crumble or falter within a food preparation station.

    Had Jongo landed in the Grand Kitchen while Llassar was still here, there might have been... gulp... a scolding. That would have put me in hot water. Well, maybe not physically in hot water. I did land in the dish water. That was only lukewarm. But definitely in trouble.

    "Wait. Wait. If Cookie is out there-"
    Jongo turned back to look at the spirits calmly making food. They seemed to be just going through the motions. No one seemed to be directing them.

    No one in the Grand Kitchen was in charge at the moment.

    A smile crept up on Jongo's face.

    Walking up to a spirit that had just finished making a batch of what looked like sourdough rolls, Jongo waved and - with no one else to oppose her authority - took over the Grand Kitchen.

    "Time for SAMMICHES."
    Last edited by Gengy; 2012-02-09 at 02:55 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    "Fear the Gerbils, lads! For they will destroy you!" ~ DOOM

    BladeofObliviom said:
    I've only seen a character at anything resembling this level of absurdity thrive exactly once, and he/she/what-the-jongo had the advantage of being written by Gengy, who I look up to as a writer.

    "What-the-Jongo?"
    Before you insult someone, walk a mile in their shoes.
    That way, you'll be a mile away, and have their shoes!
    ~avatar by myself

  24. - Top - End - #84
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Flumph

    Join Date
    Jul 2011

    Default Re: Heroes of the Fall

    Quote Originally Posted by Raz_Fox View Post
    As Jongo and the Weaver left, Fayruz took a step closer to Soreal, smiling faintly. "If names define us, sister, then Father gave us all the right names. Even yours is just right for you. And I'm sure, whether Father names it or our little brother-sister names it, that it will have the right name. Everything works for the good of those who trust Father, after all."

    Fayruz looked around her for a moment, and then knelt, her skirts spreading about her, as she plucked a dark rose from its bed, its black petals in full bloom. In the dark - as far as it ever grew truly dark in the White City - its petals would glow beautifully, bringing light into the darkness. This she offered to Soreal with a smile. "I don't want you to leave without something to remember from home," she said. "Even if we all stay together... you should keep this. I'm sure the people below don't have flowers this beautiful - Toreazan told me that, when he came back from measuring the seas. They have some flowers, he said, but they're nowhere near as pretty as the flowers of the White City." Toreazan was speaking about Fayruz, in part, when he said this to her, but Fayruz - as usual - missed the compliment.

    "I should be going," she continued, after a moment. "Father expects me to be ready for the banquet tonight, and I don't want to disappoint him! This is the most important banquet we've ever been to, so I really should look my best." An empty worry, given how radiant Fayruz is at every banquet, how resplendent in her brilliant silks, with her crown of silver and starlight trapped within colorless jewels. But Fayruz worries, regardless, for tonight she hopes to be given her special task for the journey, and if there is anything out of place, anything she does wrong - why, Father might not tell her, or might chastise her for being an imperfect reflection of his glory!
    Fayruz was like Baz-Auran many aspects. She resonated with the truth - but unlike the all-father, she had a note of uncertainty. It was there, a flaw that kept her separate from his perfection that Soreal liked - one equally valid and distinct from the whole. It meant the world to her that there was a horde of voices that could dissent, change, be different from the divine norm. For finding one's voice is the only way we can thrive.

    Soreal held the flower in the left hand, and in the other a white carnation bloomed, her divine nature sublime, singing a white colour as pure and powerful as Fayruz herself, the colour of the White city. It bloomed and blossomed and at its zenith of form did it stop. She offers it to Fayruz.

    "As do I, humble sister. May eons pass and the seasons change, but may your will never falter. Know that of your character, there is no higher arbiter then thyself. But care to remember, if you find yourself alone in your thoughts: roses have thorns. Soreal bleeds a little from her hands, little barbs digging into her flesh. It stains the white.

    "But enough dark dreams: to the feast I shall follow in your wake. To glory we go, that's no mistake.
    Orphidian Urge: Corrupt youth throughout creation with insidious role-playing games.

  25. - Top - End - #85
    Ettin in the Playground
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Australia

    Default Re: Heroes of the Fall

    Quote Originally Posted by VonDoom View Post
    "Still!" he proclaimed, letting go of his brother's shoulder, "how does one play this game? I've an inclination to try my hand at it." He took a step back and, without looking, pulled a chair from the next table over. For the moment the future God of Pride didn't actually sit down, however, preferring to wait until he had gained the insight he sought.
    "If you wish, I can give you a copy of my games book. It has a list of rules for the various card games and such that we've invented."

    He calls over a spirit, who is then spirited away by Jongo's quick takeover before he can arrive.

    "Well, I suppose you might be able to find someone to go unless you wish to watch...."
    Last edited by Erik Vale; 2012-02-09 at 05:12 PM.
    Spoiler: Quotes!
    Show

    Quote Originally Posted by Sun Hunter's Recruitment
    Quote Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
    Saying no to a Sun's Hunter is as close as it gets to an invitation to have your place destroyed by them)\
    Quote Originally Posted by Vedhin View Post
    In other words, be nice to the murderhobos so they don't murder you?
    Quote Originally Posted by JanusJones View Post
    The professional, well-funded, well-backed, card-carrying, licensed murderhobos, yes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chilingsworth View Post
    Congrats, you made me laugh hard enough to draw my family's attention.

  26. - Top - End - #86
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Raz_Fox's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Imladris
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Heroes of the Fall

    Quote Originally Posted by Orosboru View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Fayruz was like Baz-Auran many aspects. She resonated with the truth - but unlike the all-father, she had a note of uncertainty. It was there, a flaw that kept her separate from his perfection that Soreal liked - one equally valid and distinct from the whole. It meant the world to her that there was a horde of voices that could dissent, change, be different from the divine norm. For finding one's voice is the only way we can thrive.

    Soreal held the flower in the left hand, and in the other a white carnation bloomed, her divine nature sublime, singing a white colour as pure and powerful as Fayruz herself, the colour of the White city. It bloomed and blossomed and at its zenith of form did it stop. She offers it to Fayruz.

    "As do I, humble sister. May eons pass and the seasons change, but may your will never falter. Know that of your character, there is no higher arbiter then thyself. But care to remember, if you find yourself alone in your thoughts: roses have thorns. Soreal bleeds a little from her hands, little barbs digging into her flesh. It stains the white.

    "But enough dark dreams: to the feast I shall follow in your wake. To glory we go, that's no mistake.
    Fayruz held the flower in her delicate hands, both of them wrapped about it carefully, as if it were one of Baz'Auran's gloriously-wrought goblets, filled to the brim with the finest wine. She smiled at her sister, but her sweet smile turned to a frown of concern as she saw the thorns bite into Soreal's hand. "Oh, sister! Let me..."

    She tucked the carnation behind her hair, beautifully white against her wine-dark hair, and clasped Soreal's hand in both of her hands. Soreal jerked away ever-so-slightly, but Fayruz looked up at her with sisterly concern, and she did not release her grip on her sister's hand. Rubbing her thumbs against the angry weals on Soreal's palm and fingers, she closed her eyes and willed Soreal's body to be whole once again. From her lips came a simple song, wordless but melodic, as smooth as the water of a quiet stream.

    The art of the Spirits of Healing, who could mend a spirit with the merest touch, was simple: thought was reality, in the city of Baz'Auran. And those who truly loved were greatest at it, capable of knitting the spirit back together from a thousand pieces, or restoring lost limbs or eyes. Fayruz, for all her honest love, did not have the skill of the Spirits of Healing, but this? This, she could do for her big sister.

    The cuts closed over, as if they had never been - but for the blood on their hands, which she could not undo. She looked up at her sister, nodding half to herself. "There... there. Now everything's all right. Let's go to the feast; everyone will be there, and Father will be so proud of us! To glory!" Already the cuts are forgotten, and Fayruz's thoughts have almost moved on, enough that she can laugh and take her sister's hand in her own, and pull her on to the banquet.

    ***

    As the children of Baz'Auran gather, one is noticeably absent from the gathering. Even though she urged Soreal on, Fayruz has not come, rather uncharacteristically, to mingle with her siblings. On most nights, she is wherever her siblings are, laughing with Jongo and chatting with Shirvan and being quiet along with Avyran, but tonight she is secluded away from her siblings, preparing herself for the banquet. Everything about her must be perfect, she believes, tonight of all nights.
    -build that wall and build it strong-
    Kasanip - best artist; Rarity - best smile; Thanqol - good Question
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by PhoeKun View Post
    Raz, you scoundrel! You planned this!
    Quote Originally Posted by BladeofObliviom View Post
    Great, and now I'm imagining what Raz's profile on a dating site would look like. "Must be okay with veils."
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasanip View Post
    I don't think there is such a time to have veils that it is not the fault of Raz_Fox.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dervag View Post
    It's a freaking Romulan dump truck. The Romulans are no more likely to build an unarmed warp-capable ship than they are to become a hippy commune.

  27. - Top - End - #87
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    AntiMatter101's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Illinois
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Heroes of the Fall

    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by daelrog View Post
    Dasque-Steel Cathedral

    Dasque smiled at Frellon's understanding. "Shine a light unto everything borther, and everything becomes more interesting." She stood up, letting the sun catch her silvery hair. It is time I prepared for the banquet. I will see you both there."

    Spoiler
    Show
    If Contragh would like the last word as she leaves, feel free.


    The Steel Cathedral
    "See you there, Dasque" Frellon replied, as she left, raising a hand in farewell.

    His bandage itched, so he began to undo it, its purpouse long ago served. While the spirits could have simply healed him with magic, he had been trying to convice them to let his wound's heal more naturally for years. Eventually they had reached a sort of compromise, it involved a salve that sped up the already considerable healing properties of his body. The result satisfies us all, he thought with satisfaction, as he stripped away the last bandage, and inspected his arm. A fine white line, barely visible, traced along his arm. If he had allowed them to just use magic, not even that would have remained.

    "I've earned another good one!" Frellon confides to Contragh. "My collection is growing! Slowly but surely." Frellon tossed the sword he had used for their duel asside, beaten and notched as it was, into the bin that he knew would later be sent to the smithy for reworking. Frellon looks back up at Contragh, pride in his newest scar written on his face plainly.
    Last edited by AntiMatter101; 2012-02-09 at 05:38 PM.
    Avatar by Vrythas

  28. - Top - End - #88
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    OrcBarbarianGuy

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Heroes of the Fall

    Dasque's Chamber

    In one of the many towers in the White City, Dasque contemplated, sitting in a lotus position, in the middle of a circular room. All across the room notes were drawn, connecting the different aspects of existence together. It wasn't complete, nor would it ever be, but it included certain concepts Dasque was interested in. They were written in code, and though some of her siblings such as Faden could no doubt decipher it, she kept her chambers to herself alone.

    The wall was covered with shelves of books she had read, and above them were weapons. Swords, and axe, a halberd, and a number of spears, her weapon of choice.

    The banquet, the night where her thrice accursed Father would send them off. Some worshipped him as their all, but not her. For reasons she kept to her own, Baz'Auran displeased her greatly, and he alone could crumble her composure. While the others sought to look their best, to please their Father before they were sent to do his bidding, she pondered over how to present herself to them all.

    She would shine this night, she would radiate brilliantly, and she would tell her father that she was not his pet, that she was Dasque, that she was free of the White City now, and free of him. That is, at least, what she wanted.

  29. - Top - End - #89
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Nefarion Xid's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2008

    Default Re: Heroes of the Fall

    Lossethir again pitched his cards towards the muck and reclined further in his chair until the hand was concluded. Staring at a fascinatingly nondescript point on the ceiling, he continued with his insight.

    "The second lesson is that people with nothing to lose are dangerous. I have resources, I may chose to decline to act. Haramhold has few, only enough chips to buy five more antes -- he is forced to action... if not now, soon enough. The best way to deal with a desperate opponent may be... to not. Mmm... my turn to deal next?"

    When the last cards were turned over and the hand won, Lossethir suddenly rocked forward and thrust out his hand. In the same motion the cards, caught up in a sudden gust of wind, fluttered through the air obediently and stacked themselves in his waiting hand (shuffled inflight). With a flick of his middle finger, the deck was cut and this thumb sent the cards flying around the table.

  30. - Top - End - #90
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    The_Snark's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2006

    Default Re: Heroes of the Fall

    The Training Ground

    "I'm afraid that would be teaching you the wrong lesson entirely," Nieve said merrily. "We can't have you going down to the Disk thinking that you can let just anyone knock you over and sit on you. You might have your throat torn out by some treacherous creature with a pretty face, and then I would be too jealous to properly mourn you. You wouldn't want that, would you?"

    "No, no,"
    she shook her head, leaning forward until her hair was brushing against Shirvan's face, "I think there have to be consequences. What am I to do with you..." Instinct told her it was time to draw away and leave him wanting more, but she was enjoying the feel of his body against hers far too much.
    Avatar by Ifni. Thanks!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •