New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 43 of 50 FirstFirst ... 18333435363738394041424344454647484950 LastLast
Results 1,261 to 1,290 of 1474
  1. - Top - End - #1261
    Banned

Goblin

Default Re: Class and Level Geekery VIII (spoilers ahoy!)

I have few things to discuss.

1) Did you guys have made list of know spells from Xykon's spell list?
    2) I've been thinking about this strip and I wonder - can it be possible that Malack may have Tomb-Born Vitlity feat? He may be lying about his special diet and may just not need to eat and he sorta looks like in describtion. And this and tomb-tained soul (and two other tomb feats) would fit Cleric of Death image.
    3) Any opinions how many fvored enemies Belkar may have? I'm pretty sure Kobolds are one of them, but what about the rest?

2. - Top - End - #1262
    Banned

Goblin

Double because I'm not seeing my own post.

3. - Top - End - #1263
    Ogre in the Playground

1. Yes, see my post (second in the thread) to see Xykon's spell list.
    2. It may be thematically appropriate, but we have no hard evidence. He has not demonstrated any ability that could only be explained by these feats.
    3. Belkar is at least a level 11 ranger. This means he has at least three different favoured enemies. As for what they are, we again have no hard evidence. His expressing distaste for kobolds does not translate into his demonstrating different bonii against them.
    "They couldn't know that the points from the mainline to the siding were frozen, and the signal should have been set at 'DANGER', but snow had forced it down."
    - The Flying Kipper

4. - Top - End - #1264
    Banned

Goblin

Thanks a lot, that's what I wanted to know.

5. - Top - End - #1265
    Titan in the Playground

(3) Well, in my opinion the other two favored enemies are Human and Halfling. But indeed we have insufficient evidence to list that in the top post.
    Guide to the Magus, the Pathfinder Gish class.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain
    Crystal Shard Studios - Freeware games designed by Kurald and others!

6. - Top - End - #1266
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kurald Galain View Post
    (3) Well, in my opinion the other two favored enemies are Human and Elf. But indeed we have insufficient evidence to list that in the top post.
    Fixed that for you.

Member of the Phyrnglsnyx Pronunciation Pact

PHYRNGLSNYX
    Fear-en-gil-sniks

[fyːrŋlˌsnɪks]

Spoiler: Past Avatars
    Show

Current avatar by Cuthalion. Thanks a lot!

7. - Top - End - #1267
    Barbarian in the Playground

Planetar

Agreed with the post above mine. Why would you think halfling? IDK but we might also consider Goblinoid given some of his comments durring the seige of Azure city; "prey migration" and such.
    Impossible is a biased statement.
    "You are what you do. Choose again, and change." --Miles Vorkosigan

link to the thread translating Haley's babel speech
    this is a must read for all: Common misconceptions (i am in no way joking, please read it)

8. - Top - End - #1268

Because you need to be evil to have your own race as a favored enemy, and because Belkar's dream is to go back to his home and kill everyone.

He's also been pretty bad at killing Elves.

9. - Top - End - #1269
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Matter View Post
    He's also been pretty bad at killing Elves.
    You might want to rethink that plural there. AFAIK, he's only tried to kill one, and that one happens to outgun him by several orders of magnitude. Not that this is evidence of anything at all. As has been said, there's no evidence either way.
    Last edited by zimmerwald1915; 2012-07-11 at 10:05 PM.

10. - Top - End - #1270

Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    ...he's only tried to kill one, and that one happens to outgun him by several orders of magnitude.
    Exactly my point. The whole thing screams "personal rival", not "favored enemy".

11. - Top - End - #1271
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by RMS Oceanic View Post
    His expressing distaste for kobolds does not translate into his demonstrating different bonii against them.
    Actually, the Latin plural of "bonus" is "boni"--"bonii" would be the plural of "bonius", which I don't think is a word.
    Quote Originally Posted by Honest Tiefling View Post
    Attempting to use Iron Heart Surge can often lead to the player removing the 'not being beaten upside the head' condition.
    avatar by me. Extended sig here.

12. - Top - End - #1272
    Titan in the Playground

Interesting. So it would seem we don't have Malack's Magnificent Mummy Manufacturing Spell, but it is something his staff does for him.

And Haley seems to possess trick arrows. Any thoughts on what these might be, rules-wise, or has she just watched Hawkeye from The Avengers?

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain

13. - Top - End - #1273
    Ogre in the Playground

It could be an arrow with a Darkness oil applied to it.

Three things for my posts: Malack seemed to animate the mummies with his Staff, so any speculation about his level is now moot. There is no Staff in the SRD that has Animate Dead or Create Undead in its repetoir, so I'd hazard it's a customised staff with one of those spells among others.

The second thing, this is the second time Tarquin has caught an arrow. If he's using the gloves of arrow snaring they're now spent for the day, and the next arrow caught will reveal the truth for certain. However, Nale's dialog implies it's something Tarquin can do, rather than magic gloves he holds, so there may be people who think that's sufficient proof.

Finally, what do we think Tarquin's, for want of a better word, trap sense could be reflected by? Is it just good training, is it a specific ability, or is it too soon to tell either way?

Thoughts on these assumptions? Are they okay to put into the post, or is there an alternate explanation?
    "They couldn't know that the points from the mainline to the siding were frozen, and the signal should have been set at 'DANGER', but snow had forced it down."
    - The Flying Kipper

14. - Top - End - #1274
    Titan in the Playground

Tarquin's trap sense appears to come from the keen understanding of narrative and tropes that he shares with Elan.

Note how the arrow has a metallic casing of some kind; I don't think it's oil.

15. - Top - End - #1275
    Ogre in the Playground

Tarquin's trap sense appears to come from the keen understanding of narrative and tropes that he shares with Elan.

Note how the arrow has a metallic casing of some kind; I don't think it's oil.
    The casing breaks when the spell goes off. My personal theory is it was a glass vial of oil that broke when Tarquin snatched it, coating it in the arrow and activating the spell. I could be wrong though.
    - The Flying Kipper

16. - Top - End - #1276
    Banned

Three things for my posts: Malack seemed to animate the mummies with his Staff, so any speculation about his level is now moot. There is no Staff in the SRD that has Animate Dead or Create Undead in its repetoir, so I'd hazard it's a customised staff with one of those spells among others.
    The argument that he didn't create more mummies because he couldn't control more is as strong as it ever was - which is to say, not really all that strong. Maybe the staff just ran our of Create Undead charges. It is useful to note that it is called a staff specifically, rather than a rod.

17. - Top - End - #1277
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGirl

I think Tarquin's spider scenes are Uncanny Dodge.

"I laugh at life, it's antics make for me a giddy game. Where only foolish fellows take themselves with solemn aim.”

18. - Top - End - #1278
    Colossus in the Playground

Details of house rule that caused mummified bodies to somehow make it easier to create mummies still unknown.

That is not what Uncanny Dodge does, and if it was house-ruled to work that way in OotS, it would have come up with Haley in dozens of situations long before now.
    Last edited by Kish; 2012-07-17 at 12:16 PM.

19. - Top - End - #1279

This: (Link removed: Google for "AD&D ambush feats")

...has ambush feats, and mentions something about more "The Complete Scoundrel". Can anyone say if there's a "spot ambush" feat in there?
    Last edited by Dark Matter; 2012-07-18 at 09:03 AM.

20. - Top - End - #1280
    Ogre in the Playground

Unless Wizards have given permission for that book to be hosted there, I'd remove that link.

Ambush feats are feats where you sacrifice your sneak attack damage in exchange for certain benefits. I don't think any of them let you spot actual ambushes.
    - The Flying Kipper

21. - Top - End - #1281

As I have already mentionned, Malack's staff isn't listed in his possessions.

And now we have confirmation it's magical.
    Spoiler
    Show

DM: At the end of the meal, the innkeeper is bringing you the cheese plate. Roll for initiative.
    PC: Excuse me, what?
    DM: I said, roll for initiative. They like their cheese really ripe in these parts. They have the ooze type.

"Excuse me, but... is it a GOOD or a BAD thing when the DM can't help bursting into laughter every time he hears the phrase 'level-appropriate encounter'? No, just curious..."

Extended signature

22. - Top - End - #1282
    Pixie in the Playground

Interesting. So it would seem we don't have Malack's Magnificent Mummy Manufacturing Spell, but it is something his staff does for him.
    My thought was that it was a Runestaff of the Undying (Magic Item Compendium, p. 182) as it grants both Animate Dead and Create Undead; the problem with that theory, however, is that runestaffs don't use charges - they expend spell slots (and each spell can only be invoked a limited number of times per day - twice in this item's case). A similar problem occurs with a Domain Staff of Death (Complete Champion, p. 143), i.e., create undead 1/day and no charges.

The closes official staff I can find is a Staff of Skulls (Complete Arcane, p. 147) which grants both Cure Light Wounds and Animate Dead; it's conceivable that he used it as a template to create a greater version that grants both Heal and Create Undead (which expends at least two charges).

23. - Top - End - #1283
    Ogre in the Playground

I have marked the staff as containing an unspecified spell that can create mummies. As Nahmer indeed notes the only staff that comes close is Staff of Skulls, but its Animate Dead uses one charge while this staff uses "a few". My suspicion is it is a custom staff, but perhaps we'll see more information about it in the future.

What do we think about Tarquin's Schrodinger's Feat? Is Nale's dialogue enough for snatch arrows, or should we wait on the third arrow?
    - The Flying Kipper

24. - Top - End - #1284
    Orc in the Playground

What do we think about Tarquin's Schrodinger's Feat? Is Nale's dialogue enough for snatch arrows, or should we wait on the third arrow?
    Personally, I would just list it, but I'm not sure how close to 100% fact you guys want to get before saying something.

So I say post and then fix if it is proven false.

25. - Top - End - #1285
    Colossus in the Playground

We should wait on some indication that it's Snatch Arrows and not gloves.

Nale commenting "She didn't learn that you [have an ability which you demonstrated in the last battle in front of her and me]" in no way indicates that said ability comes from a feat rather than an item.

26. - Top - End - #1286
    Ogre in the Playground

The strip title is "Actually, She Did." That threw me off a bit. I suppose it is just a joke. Otherwise it would imply either a) that Haley knows what kind of enchanted gloves Tarquin is currently wearing or b) that Haley knows Tarquin has an ability to snatch arrows AND knows that the helmeted assailant is actually Tarquin. Neither a) nor b) seem very likely at this point though.
    "And yet, will we ever come to an end of discussion and talk if we think we must always reply to replies? For replies come from those who either cannot understand what is said to them, or are so stubborn and contentious that they refuse to give in even if they do understand." - St. Augustine

The Index of the Giant's Comments | Thanks, Bradakhan, for the avatar!

27. - Top - End - #1287
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by ThePhantasm View Post
    The strip title is "Actually, She Did." That threw me off a bit. I suppose it is just a joke. Otherwise it would imply either a) that Haley knows what kind of enchanted gloves Tarquin is currently wearing or b) that Haley knows Tarquin has an ability to snatch arrows AND knows that the helmeted assailant is actually Tarquin. Neither a) nor b) seem very likely at this point though.
    Or the somewhat more likely c) she observed that the helmeted opponent could snatch arrows when she fought him a few strips ago.

28. - Top - End - #1288
    Surgebinder in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by ThePhantasm View Post
    No, it only implies that Haley knows that the "helmeted assailant" has an ability (from whatever source) to snatch arrows - which she witnessed in strip 851.
    Like 4X (aka Civilization-like) gaming? Know programming? Interested in game development? Take a look.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Saberhagen's Twelve Swords, some homebrew artifacts for 3.5 (please comment)
    Isstinen Tonche for ECL 74 playtesting.
    Team Solars: Powergaming beyond your wildest imagining, without infinite loops or epic. Yes, the DM asked for it.
    Arcane Swordsage: Making it actually work (homebrew)

29. - Top - End - #1289
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by douglas View Post
    No, it only implies that Haley knows that the "helmeted assailant" has an ability (from whatever source) to snatch arrows - which she witnessed in strip 851.
    Dang it. I forgot about about that. Time to facepalm.

*facepalm*
    "And yet, will we ever come to an end of discussion and talk if we think we must always reply to replies? For replies come from those who either cannot understand what is said to them, or are so stubborn and contentious that they refuse to give in even if they do understand." - St. Augustine

The Index of the Giant's Comments | Thanks, Bradakhan, for the avatar!

30. - Top - End - #1290

Finally, what do we think Tarquin's, for want of a better word, trap sense could be reflected by? Is it just good training, is it a specific ability, or is it too soon to tell either way?
    I think until otherwise proved, Tarquin shares the same sense of storytelling and tropes as Elan does.

That, or a super good spot.