New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Heroism feels and never reasons, and therefore is always right(3.5 PrC, ToB, PEACH.)

First homebrew...not sure how good this is(Especially as I based it on a TVtropes page. ) But it was fun to do, and I had fun even if it proves bad. And now, without further ado....

The Hero

Spoiler
    Show
    I do not own Bleach-It is property of Tite Kubo.

"I'm not superman, so I can't say anything big like I'll protect everyone on earth. I'm not a modest guy who will say it's enough if I can protect as many people as my two hands can handle either. I want to protect a mountain-load of people." -Ichigo Kurosaki, a Hero

When people need their wars fought, they turn to the warriors. When people need their God's approval, they turn to those who are connected to the divine. When people need magic, they turn to the arcanely powered.

...But when people need their rights protected, their lives saved, their loved ones safe, they turn to the Hero, who leads his/her band to defeat evil wherever it may arise.

Prerequisites:

In order to become a Hero, you must meet the following prerequisites.

Alignment: Any good
    Skills: 12 ranks in Intimidate and one other skill associated with Martial Disciplines
    Manuvers: Able to initiate at least one 5th-level White Raven maneuver.

Hit Die: d8

Class Skills: The Hero's class skills are Balance, Climb, Concentrate, Diplomacy, Hide, Intimidate, Jump, Knowledge(Local), Martial Lore, Move Silently, Sense Motive, Swim and Tumble.

Skill Points: 4+Int per level

{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special|Maneuvers Known|Maneuvers Readied|Stances Known

1st|
    +1
    |
    +2
    |
    +0
    |
    +2
    |Unity|1|0|1

2nd|
    +2
    |
    +3
    |
    +0
    |
    +3
    |You're Going Down!(1)|0|1|0

3rd|
    +3
    |
    +3
    |
    +1
    |
    +3
    |The Power of Teamwork|1|0|0

4th|
    +4
    |
    +4
    |
    +1
    |
    +4
    |You're Going Down!(2)|0|1|1

5th|
    +5
    |
    +4
    |
    +2
    |
    +4
    |Heroic Resolve|1|0|0[/table]

Class Features: The following are the Hero's class features.

Weapon and Armor Proficiencies: The Hero gains no weapon or armor proficiencies.

Maneuvers: At 1st level and every two afterward, a Hero learns a new manuver from the school used to enter the class or two others of the Hero's choice that he had access to in his previous class. If the Hero was not a martial adept class before, he may pick two schools and treat his martial adept level in them as 1/2 his previous class levels plus his full Hero levels. He must meet the prerequisites for these maneuvers as normal. He gains an additional readied maneuver at 2nd and 4th level.

Stances: At 1st and 4th level, a Hero gains a new stance from any schools he has access to as per the above stated rules.

Unity: The Hero knows that he's only as good as his mates, and without them, he'd be sucking down blood in a gutter somewhere. For every ally on the field with him, the Hero gains a +1 to his saves, to a maximum of his class level.

You're Going Down!: Heroes are not stupid...well, not about combat at any rate. At 2nd level, the Hero may roll an untrained knowledge check on his current opponent/s once per day, gaining a bonus equal to twice his class level. Additionally, the Hero may swap any DR-penetrating properties of his weapon to one of equal or lower cost after performing the knowledge check if he so wishes.(This reverts back to the original type once the encounter is past.) The Hero gains an additional daily use of this ability at 4th level.

The Power of Teamwork: A team is like a well-oiled machine, and the Hero is the cog keeping them all running. At 3rd level, the Hero may practice once per day with one of his teammates for one hour. If he does so, determine which of the following apply.(Note-If more than one apply, the Hero may choose between them.) Only one bonus can be applied at one time, and a newly trained for bonus supercedes the previous one.

-The Hero's partner has a higher Str. or Con score than the hero: The Hero gains a temporary +2 to his Str. or Con score(His choice). This lasts for 24 hrs.

-The Hero's partner has a higher Int. or Wis. score than the hero: The Hero gains a temporary +2 to his Int. or Wis score(His choice). This lasts for 24 hrs.

-The Hero's partner has a higher Dex or Cha. score than the hero: The Hero gains a temporary +2 to his Dex or Cha score(His choice). This lasts for 24 hrs.

-The Hero's partner has the ability to cast spells. The Hero may choose one 5th level or lower spell that character has access to and cast it three times that day as an SLA of their character level.

Heroic Resolve: When all seems lost and gray, the Hero finds hidden reserves of strength within himself to win the day for himself and his team. At fifth level, if he is reduced to below half hit points, the Hero may activate his heroic resolve as a move action. Additionally, if the hero is under the effects of a Dominate Person or other such spell, the Heroic Resolve goes off on it's own during the turn he is reduced to below half hit points. The Hero regains all spent maneuvers and uses of his You're Going Down! ability, and may reselect manuvers as though he had just practiced for them, as well as being effected by a heal as cast by a 15th level character, freedom of movement, and mindblank spell. However, this power lasts as many rounds as the lower of the Hero's Con or Wis modifiers, and the hero is considered exhausted upon leaving it. He may only use this ability once per day.

(Author's Note-Have ideas for classes for all other members of a Five-Man Band...in case anyone wants to see me make them. )
    Last edited by ScrambledBrains; 2012-02-01 at 01:42 AM.
    Quotes and Homebrew
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Prince Zahn View Post
    ...I like your style, Mr.Brains.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psyren
    Meanwhile, the sorcerer is the HS dropout that ended up debt-free and founding Facebook.
    My Homebrew
    Former Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show
    :By Ceika
    :By Akrim.Elf

2. - Top - End - #2
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Heroism feels and never reasons, and therefore is always right(3.5 PrC, ToB, PEAC

It's kind of...vague. I know you probably just like maneuvers and all, but remember, Tome of Battle actually deals with the education and disciplining of warriors through something called "The Sublime Way". You don't mention that anywhere in the class. You have your own theme and you tack on maneuvers as an afterthought.

I'm sorry if that sounds mean, but you labeled this thread a ToB class, and it most certainly is not.

Some editing errors:
    The Hero knows that he's only as his mates
    <-- only as what as his mates?

opponent/s once per day
    The Power of Teamwork is an interesting ability, though it would allow the hero who is training with his hexblade friend to learn animate dead or call lightning storm, for some reason. I would limit the spell chosen to the spell list of the ally, and a spell known/in the spellbook only, if applicable.

Heroic Resolve: The hero gets a heal spell cast on himself for free every time he goes down past half his hit points? It's not a particularly bad idea, just...abusable. I would limit this ability to once per day. Also, your heal spell needs a caster level (the hit points it restores are based on caster level after all)

Suggestions for the Class: Good abilities, could use some more team-centric ones though. How about some bonuses to the hero and his ally when they flank an enemy? (+4 to hit instead of +2 and maybe the hero's Charisma modifier to both their damage rolls against a flanked enemy?)

Also, if you do decide to keep the maneuvers, White Raven fits this class the best. I would change the requirements to Diplomacy 12 ranks, one other discipline's skill 12 ranks, and able to initiate a White Raven maneuver of at least 5th level.

The class looks good so far! Don't get discouraged, I like it, I'm just trying to help you make it better.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Heroism feels and never reasons, and therefore is always right(3.5 PrC, ToB, PEAC

Quote Originally Posted by NeoSeraphi View Post
    It's kind of...vague. I know you probably just like maneuvers and all, but remember, Tome of Battle actually deals with the education and disciplining of warriors through something called "The Sublime Way". You don't mention that anywhere in the class. You have your own theme and you tack on maneuvers as an afterthought.

I'm sorry if that sounds mean, but you labeled this thread a ToB class, and it most certainly is not.

Some editing errors:
    <-- only as what as his mates?
    True...wasn't sure how to add Sublime Way to it...and I thought it seemed a bit bare-bones without maneuvers and such.

No worries, I expected people to help me fix it...besides, even criticism coming from the God of Homebrew is cool. :D

Will fix.

The Power of Teamwork is an interesting ability, though it would allow the hero who is training with his hexblade friend to learn animate dead or call lightning storm, for some reason. I would limit the spell chosen to the spell list of the ally, and a spell known/in the spellbook only, if applicable.

Heroic Resolve: The hero gets a heal spell cast on himself for free every time he goes down past half his hit points? It's not a particularly bad idea, just...abusable. I would limit this ability to once per day. Also, your heal spell needs a caster level (the hit points it restores are based on caster level after all)

Suggestions for the Class: Good abilities, could use some more team-centric ones though. How about some bonuses to the hero and his ally when they flank an enemy? (+4 to hit instead of +2 and maybe the hero's Charisma modifier to both their damage rolls against a flanked enemy?)

Also, if you do decide to keep the maneuvers, White Raven fits this class the best. I would change the requirements to Diplomacy 12 ranks, one other discipline's skill 12 ranks, and able to initiate a White Raven maneuver of at least 5th level.

The class looks good so far! Don't get discouraged, I like it, I'm just trying to help you make it better.
    Will add those limits.

It is limited to once per day...I just forgot to add that in. Will add caster level.

Hmmm, I think I can work with that. Though I won't work on it any more tonight.

Would make sense...though I admittedly know smeg-all about White Raven.

No worries! I knew it would need work.
    Quotes and Homebrew
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Prince Zahn View Post
    ...I like your style, Mr.Brains.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psyren
    Meanwhile, the sorcerer is the HS dropout that ended up debt-free and founding Facebook.
    My Homebrew
    Former Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show
    :By Ceika
    :By Akrim.Elf

4. - Top - End - #4

Quote Originally Posted by ScrambledBrains View Post
    No worries, I expected people to help me fix it...besides, even criticism coming from the God of Homebrew is cool. :D
    Haha, I'm nothing that special. I mean, hell, I've only been doing this since May so...that's...crap, I've almost been homebrewing for a whole year now. Well, anyway, it's only 9 months as of now, so that definitely doesn't make me a "god".

Would make sense...though I admittedly know smeg-all about White Raven.
    White Raven is all about pumping up your allies and making them stronger. The 9th level maneuver lets all of your allies charge with you on your turn against one enemy. It's bad ass.

No worries! I knew it would need work.
    Glad I could help. Looks really good for a first try!

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

It's worth noting that quite a few people aren't fans of the standard Tome of Battle fluff, though. I don't think it's quite fair to expect everyone to use it, but it does put more of a limitation on who can get use out of a piece of homebrew if you ignore it.

6. - Top - End - #6

Quote Originally Posted by Eurus View Post
    It's worth noting that quite a few people aren't fans of the standard Tome of Battle fluff, though. I don't think it's quite fair to expect everyone to use it, but it does put more of a limitation on who can get use out of a piece of homebrew if you ignore it.
    Your point is valid, but there's a big difference between providing alternative fluff (which I would have no problem with) and tacking something on for no reason.

A class needs flavor of some kind for its abilities, particularly spells/powers/maneuvers. Otherwise it just doesn't feel right. I mean, you could add psionic powers to a monk and it would make sense as long as you explained how the monk's inner mind and discipline was allowing him to affect the world around him, but if you gave Devoted Spirit to the rogue without any explanation, you would run into the same kind of comments that I gave before.

If he doesn't want to use the Sublime Way and instead wants to write his own fluff, more power to him, I was just saying that as it is now (no fluff or even slight reference to the initiating at all) is bad design, particularly since it's such a heavy part of the prerequisites.