New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 27 of 34 FirstFirst ... 2171819202122232425262728293031323334 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #781
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Questions of a weird mind

Why did they stop making Metroid Prime Trilogy?!
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieth View Post
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

2. - Top - End - #782
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Doomboy911 View Post
    Hmm where would you want to live in the world? Both what part of the world and in what kind of place?
    Given a choice I'd live on a Project Utopia yacht--concept can be seen here (middle link at the bottom):

http://yachtislanddesign.com/concepts/

It'd probably still be wandering around in UK waters most of the time, though.

3. - Top - End - #783
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

is it normal to think about my friends girlfriend being raped just to see if my friend would tell me such a thing despite me moving away?

(not entirely sure if "raped" is against forum rules, i will edit this post if it is)

4. - Top - End - #784
    Troll in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by oblivion6 View Post
    is it normal to think about my friends girlfriend being raped just to see if my friend would tell me such a thing despite me moving away?

(not entirely sure if "raped" is against forum rules, i will edit this post if it is)
    Eh everything is relative I suppose but that is very odd.
    This is horrifying beyond anything Lovecraft ever wrote or Giger ever drew.

MCulpa http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVopG...el_video_title
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=192558

(Screw the point)-Doomboy911

5. - Top - End - #785
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Doomboy911 View Post
    Eh everything is relative I suppose but that is very odd.
    glad im not the only one to think so

6. - Top - End - #786
    Troll in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

glad im not the only one to think so
    Just to show that everyone is odd I can't stand seeing the car antenna or straws makes me want to vomit. I feel as though I'm going to get jabbed in the eye by them. Also no one should touch my finger nails.

7. - Top - End - #787
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Matthias2207 View Post
    All directions, diffusion. But, as proved by the picture provided by Yora, it doesn't.
    Might possibly only work with water though. As you probably learned early in school, water has a very strong tendency to stick togther, which is way you can fill a glass several milimeters above the rim.
    I guess was water sphere in microgravity would probably require more force to reshape than other liquids.

Which also opens the interesting question, why do superfluids flow against gravity? What is the equilibrium-state it attempts to attain?

8. - Top - End - #788
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

DrowGirl

Everyone comes up with weird terrifying scenarios for things in their heads. Brains like coming up with the worst scenario for things to make you reconsider your sanity.
    "I'm just going on motive and opportunity here and the fact that if the earth got swallowed by a black hole, I'd look suspiciously in your direction first."
    ~ Timberwolf

"I blame Castaras. You know... In general."
    ~ KuReshtin

"Castaras - An absolutely adorable facade that hides a truly ruthless streak."
    ~ The Succubus

9. - Top - End - #789
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Qwertystop View Post
    Why did they stop making Metroid Prime Trilogy?!
    Because it was finished. Three games were made. Metroid Prime, Echoes and Corruption.

My extended collection of avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

Pony Tarquin by Dirtytabs

Killer Klown by Ceika

Stroop by Mr Gone

10. - Top - End - #790
    Dwarf in the Playground

Why is yellow so much harder to distinguish from white than other colors? Whenever I write in yellow marker on a whiteboard, it is much harder to read than it would be if I had written in another color.
    I am a:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Two-handed martial reach weapon. I do d10 weapon dice, weigh 12 pounds, and belong to the Axe group.

Many, many thanks to kpenguin for the amazing avatar.

11. - Top - End - #791
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Halberd View Post
    Why is yellow so much harder to distinguish from white than other colors? Whenever I write in yellow marker on a whiteboard, it is much harder to read than it would be if I had written in another color.
    Because yellow is usually produced in lighter shades for aesthetic reasons, whereas blue, red, purple and green are often preferred in darker shades.

As shown in this image, darker shades of yellow do exist.
    Mauve Shirt, Savannah, Gnomish Wanderer, Cuthalion and Smuchmuch get cookies for making me avatars. (::)
    (::) Current avatar by Smuchmuch (::)

Co Founder of LUTAS - For all your less than useful heroes out there.

My Deviant Art. Careful, it's full of ponies.

Dragons!

12. - Top - End - #792
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Halberd View Post
    contrast. light with the frequency for "yellow" activates almost all the same rods and cones in your eye as "white" so we see them as almost the same.
    interestingly, other animals have different colors that they would consider low contrast.

also what he said^
    Last edited by thubby; 2012-07-01 at 09:47 AM.
    a tiny space dedicated to a beloved grandpa now passed. may every lunch be peanut butter-banana sandwiches.
    i has 2/4 an internets.
    old avatars
    Spoiler
    Show

gnome_4ever:

13. - Top - End - #793
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Matthias2207 View Post
    Because it was finished. Three games were made. Metroid Prime, Echoes and Corruption.
    I mean the Wii compilation disc. The one that improves all three, and updates the controls for the first two? That is better for everyone who isn't trying to sequence break them? That they stopped manufacturing?
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieth View Post
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

14. - Top - End - #794
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Elemental View Post
    Because yellow is usually produced in lighter shades for aesthetic reasons, whereas blue, red, purple and green are often preferred in darker shades.

Most of the darker ones I'd call orange or rust, and perhaps gold and mustard.
    Last edited by Ravens_cry; 2012-07-02 at 01:45 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Calanon View Post
    Raven_Cry's comments often have the effects of a +5 Tome of Understanding

15. - Top - End - #795

BlackDragon

Ravens_cry has a point--I just took a screenshot and checked out the colour values in your chart, Elemental, and most of them have quite widely differing Hue values. That's not to say that darker yellow doesn't exist, but it tends to look sort of murky rather than the bright orange or amber tones you have there.

16. - Top - End - #796
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    Ravens_cry has a point--I just took a screenshot and checked out the colour values in your chart, Elemental, and most of them have quite widely differing Hue values. That's not to say that darker yellow doesn't exist, but it tends to look sort of murky rather than the bright orange or amber tones you have there.
    I admit to stealing that chart from the Internet.
    But yes, most shades of dark yellow do look rather murky, and thus, not aesthetically pleasing.
    Mauve Shirt, Savannah, Gnomish Wanderer, Cuthalion and Smuchmuch get cookies for making me avatars. (::)

Dragons!

17. - Top - End - #797
    Ogre in the Playground

Forcing Magnets together against their will. Works. You damage their magnetism if you bind them that way long term though.

Durian: Smells like stale artificial vanilla. If you've ever had the displeasure to experience the stench of rotting durian shells(combined with rotting saliva, maybe), it can really put you off. I've been told I used to eat durian a lot when I was younger, but I have no memory of ever willingly eating durian.

Dragonfruit: It's like a Kiwi, but sweeter. And stains your hands red. OUT DAMN SPOT!
    President of the Society for Hobgoblin Equality in Level Adjustment(SHELA)

Glowing Kitty from Lilly
    Wren Worgatar by Mephibosheth
    The Living Bullet!
    Unusual Inner Animal Avatar from Quincunx.
    Whenever you mention Pun-pun*SQUELCH!*, Ao kills another Kobold.
    Everytime someone says "Pazuzu" twice, Ao erases them on the next "Pa". Then he undeletes them so he can wipeinfo them from the multiverse.
    Everytime you kill a catgirl, I get more company.

18. - Top - End - #798
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by AtomicKitKat View Post
    Forcing Magnets together against their will. Works. You damage their magnetism if you bind them that way long term though.

Durian: Smells like stale artificial vanilla. If you've ever had the displeasure to experience the stench of rotting durian shells(combined with rotting saliva, maybe), it can really put you off. I've been told I used to eat durian a lot when I was younger, but I have no memory of ever willingly eating durian.

Dragonfruit: It's like a Kiwi, but sweeter. And stains your hands red. OUT DAMN SPOT!
    Ah... Macbeth...
    My Mum often jokes that Lady Macbeth was telling the dog to go away, but that's not important.

Which means... I have a question...
    Where on Earth did the superstition that people in the acting business should never refer to Shakespeare's Macbeth by its proper name arise?
    It seems rather silly after all...

Dragons!

19. - Top - End - #799
    Titan in the Playground

I don't have the exact names and dates, but what I remember is that some journalist in the 1880s or so made the story up and put it in a newspaper, and then actors actually started doing it.

Yellow is a weird color, as the human eye does not have cells that detect the wavelengths of yellow light. Human eyes are pretty much RGB, simulating yellow color by mixing signals from cells that detect green and red light.
    There are some cases of people appearing to have cells that react to yellow wavelength which allows them to differentiate between many more shades of yellow, while for most people these collors are all "just yellow".
    We're pretty much all yellow-blind.

And speaking of color blindness, I found this entertaining test: http://www.xrite.com/custom_page.aspx?PageID=77
    But given that I scored 100% perfect with 0 errors, I don't know how good it is. 100% does usually not happen. ^^
    Last edited by Yora; 2012-07-03 at 06:11 AM.

20. - Top - End - #800
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Yora View Post
    I don't have the exact names and dates, but what I remember is that some journalist in the 1880s or so made the story up and put it in a newspaper, and then actors actually started doing it.
    You know... That seems like a really likely story.
    Victorian Era... Made up superstitions... Fake historical connections...
    Sounds about right.

Dragons!

21. - Top - End - #801
    Titan in the Playground

Ah... Macbeth...
    My Mum often jokes that Lady Macbeth was telling the dog to go away, but that's not important.

Which means... I have a question...
    Where on Earth did the superstition that people in the acting business should never refer to Shakespeare's Macbeth by its proper name arise?
    It seems rather silly after all...
    Actors, like criminals, are a superstitious and cowardly lot.
    Actually, I have a theory, a theory mind, that superstitions tend to develop among people with little direct control over their fates.
    Like sailors, and soldiers, actors could do things perfectly and still lose.
    Also, effort wise, it takes insignificant effort to believe.
    If by some chance it helps, it helps, but if it doesn't help, what are you losing?
    Table top RPG and wargames dice superstitions have a similar origin I believe.
    You could have a great strategy and tactics, but if the dice 'hate you' it can really make things difficult.

22. - Top - End - #802
    Ogre in the Playground

What I read was that That Scottish Play usually requires few actors, and very little in the way of sets, so was usually put on by small budget theatre troupes who needed to make next month's rent. And being low on budget, there were many safety precautions that might have been skipped. Also, they may not have been all that good, so, failing to make the rent, they'd be booted off the premises, giving the impression that the play led to their demise.

Interesting question I semi-answered last night. How do you cure running deafness(kind of like when you blow your nose while pinching it shut)? I told the guy that it was probably caused by having a congested ENT(Ear Nose Throat) system, because it usually only occurs in conjunction with a blocked nose for me(and typically clears up when the weather is less cold/rainy). Am I far off the mark? Is there a solution(beyond drinking more water, but that has its own problems if you're running shortly after). Also, that guy apparently had low blood pressure, which doesn't apply to me. Any relation to the condition?

Edit: Regarding the colour test.

Online ColorIQ Challenge Results
    Your score: 83
    FM Hue Test Results
    A lower score is better, with ZERO being the perfect score. The bars above show the regions of the color spectrum where hue discrimination is low.
    I thought I did pretty well for 5 minutes' work. The bars were all low(is that good?) except at the blue/green region.

Apparently not.

Based on your information, below is how your score compares to those of others with similar demographic information.

Your score: 83
    Age range: 30-39
    Best score for your gender and age range: 0
    Highest score for your gender and age range: 1520
    I do actually have fairly good colour differentiation skills(I mean, I do model kits, and slight hue differences are my cue as to whether I cleaned up the sprue marks enough), so I think it was more a lack of time on my part.
    Last edited by AtomicKitKat; 2012-07-03 at 08:55 PM.
    President of the Society for Hobgoblin Equality in Level Adjustment(SHELA)

Glowing Kitty from Lilly
    Wren Worgatar by Mephibosheth
    The Living Bullet!
    Unusual Inner Animal Avatar from Quincunx.
    Whenever you mention Pun-pun*SQUELCH!*, Ao kills another Kobold.
    Everytime someone says "Pazuzu" twice, Ao erases them on the next "Pa". Then he undeletes them so he can wipeinfo them from the multiverse.
    Everytime you kill a catgirl, I get more company.

23. - Top - End - #803
    Dwarf in the Playground

Why does milk negate the effects of spice or after-taste in general better than other liquids?
    \A/ Why play fair when you can "Technically" play fair. \A/
    Spoiler
    Show
    Ah say ah canno' jump, ya' jus' 'ave ta' toss meh!

24. - Top - End - #804
    Troll in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

I want to believe it's not that it does it better but that water opens up a part of the tongue making things worse but milks doesn't so it does its job. I think.

25. - Top - End - #805
    Titan in the Playground

What I figured was that milk contains fats, which not only coat the tongue and prevent the chemicals from reaching the receptors but also help dissolve the chemicals responsible for the burn.

26. - Top - End - #806
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ulysses WkAmil View Post
    Why does milk negate the effects of spice or after-taste in general better than other liquids?
    As Ravens_cry said, the chemicals responsible for the burning sensation dissolve more easily in fats than in water.
    There's science involved, but I'm feeling too lazy to describe the difference between polar and non-polar substances.

Dragons!

27. - Top - End - #807
    Halfling in the Playground

Why do our arm, neck and leg hairs stand straight up if we're cold, scared or furious?
    On the subject of cold, what the heck -are- goosebumps?
    Last edited by Abscondcrow; 2012-07-04 at 05:12 PM.
    My Pontyar, by the magnificent elemental. :D
    Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #808

Vestige from our hairy ape days. Similar to cats, dogs, chimps and almost anything else with fur: your hair stands up to make you look bigger and more threatening when frightened or angry. When cold, it traps a layer of air between your skin and the outside, for insulation.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

29. - Top - End - #809
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Abscondcrow View Post
    Why do our arm, neck and leg hairs stand straight up if we're cold, scared or furious?
    On the subject of cold, what the heck -are- goosebumps?
    On critters with more fur, it's to fluff up to either better trap heat in cold conditions or to look bigger and therefore more threatening.
    It doesn't help humans much in these regards, but we still retain this reflex.
    The 'goosebumbs' are merely the muscles attached to each hair flexing and becoming more visible.

30. - Top - End - #810
    Dwarf in the Playground

Why is buying in bulk mostly cheaper than buying small? Setting aside convienience, what is the gain there?
    \A/ Why play fair when you can "Technically" play fair. \A/
    Spoiler
    Show
    Ah say ah canno' jump, ya' jus' 'ave ta' toss meh!