New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 34 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Questions of a weird mind

I've got one.

gravity holds us to the earth, but the earth spins at something like 1,000mph. our momentum is directed away from the earth.

does this mean that moving counter to the earth's rotation would make you heavier?
    and if that's right, how much more would stuff weigh if the earth didn't rotate?
    Last edited by thubby; 2012-02-14 at 01:27 PM.
    a tiny space dedicated to a beloved grandpa now passed. may every lunch be peanut butter-banana sandwiches.
    i has 2/4 an internets.
    old avatars
    Spoiler
    Show

gnome_4ever:

2. - Top - End - #242
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Goosefeather View Post
    Real languages are full of irregularities, which are usually a massive bitch to learn. I guess some linguists just snapped one day
    Besides, there are other reasons to create a new language. Wikipedia divides constructed languages into three categories:
    Klingon (an artlang, I assume) was, as a by-product by making it so macho and guttural, constructed so it would filled with nearly as much irregularities as possible.

Exploring language can thus be a useful way of investigating the human psyche and condition.
    Indeed.

Qapla'! ("Success!")
    Viking/Paladin by Astrella

Gender Bender by Geomancer.

In love with Skeppio.

Contact me:
    Spoiler
    Show

Twitter: @MarcusSweden1

My tumblr

My DeviantART

3. - Top - End - #243
    Troll in the Playground

I've got another one. Oh the ideas you get late at night.

How much time would it take a medieval printing press with moving letters to print a 1000 page book if they had only one press, but nothing else to worry about?
    Si non confectus, non reficiat.

The beautiful girl is courtesy of Serpentine
    My S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Call of Pripjat Let's Play! Please give it a read, more than one constant reader would be nice!

4. - Top - End - #244

Default Re: Questions of A Weird Mind

Quote Originally Posted by thubby View Post
    gravity holds us to the earth, but the earth spins at something like 1,000mph. our momentum is directed away from the earth.

does this mean that moving counter to the earth's rotation would make you heavier?
    and if that's right, how much more would stuff weigh if the earth didn't rotate?
    The postulate is incomplete, unfortunately. Earth's atmosphere not only presses down on a person, it also presses in around them for certain buoyancy.

The rough trick to answer the question is, "The moon doesn't rotate. Calculate the mass difference between Moon and Earth; add that difference in gravity ( not mass ) to the moon." But without calculating additional forces like the Earth's electromagnetic field or atmosphere the equation will be incomplete.

Also, no popping corn for me, yet.

5. - Top - End - #245
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Story Time View Post
    "The moon doesn't rotate.
    You might want to look into that a bit more.

6. - Top - End - #246
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by GolemsVoice View Post

How much time would it take a medieval printing press with moving letters to print a 1000 page book if they had only one press, but nothing else to worry about?
    From what I know, they'd have nearly a dozen people working on it, actually, A few on the presses and the rest setting the next few pages. So, with enough people, probably pretty quickly.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

7. - Top - End - #247
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomePirate

Quote Originally Posted by GolemsVoice View Post

Asumeing that the people working on it have everything to hand, are a full team and know what they are doing, not as long as you think.

First off you have loading the type. Beleave it or not a profesional type setter could load type faster than most touch typists (about 100 wpm). The plate would then be passed to someone else to load in to the press and ink. At the same time someone would load the paper on to the plate. The press would do two pages at once. You would then crank the press in and out, remove the paper. Whilst all of this was being done the next type tray would be set and inked. Asumeing that you have a few sets of type to speed things up and don't care about cleaning the type before putting it away for speed I would say you could probably manage one page every three mins, so 25 hours.

However in this time you could probably load the press with paper 3-4 times so in the same time you could probably print 3 1000 page books. If you were not loading and unloading the type, just re-inking and printing several pages, the time saveings are even more.

8. - Top - End - #248
    Troll in the Playground

First off you have loading the type. Beleave it or not a profesional type setter could load type faster than most touch typists (about 100 wpm). The plate would then be passed to someone else to load in to the press and ink. At the same time someone would load the paper on to the plate. The press would do two pages at once. You would then crank the press in and out, remove the paper. Whilst all of this was being done the next type tray would be set and inked. Asumeing that you have a few sets of type to speed things up and don't care about cleaning the type before putting it away for speed I would say you could probably manage one page every three mins, so 25 hours.
    Good thing I asked, that's FAST.
    Si non confectus, non reficiat.

The beautiful girl is courtesy of Serpentine
    My S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Call of Pripjat Let's Play! Please give it a read, more than one constant reader would be nice!

9. - Top - End - #249

Quote Originally Posted by razark View Post
    Okay, point accepted. But the technicality is so minor...

Hm. I'll try not to be bummed. Not over the thread, just in general.

10. - Top - End - #250
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by razark View Post
    Depends on how you look at it. While the moon is tidally locked to the earth so the same side always faces earth, the moon does revolve around the earth. If you take earth as a fixed point, the moon does one rotation with every revolution. (Which is one per month, as compared to earths 28 per lunar month.)
    We are not standing on the shoulders of giants, but on very tall tower of other dwarves.

Spriggan's Den Heroic Fantasy Roleplaying

11. - Top - End - #251

Razark is right, though. From the perspective of space, the moon does turn as it orbits the Earth. This can be thought of as spin. From the perspective of the moon, stars would rise and set over the horizon. The big disconnect between perspectives is whether the moon turns under its own power or not.

For a little experiment, grab two tennis balls. Mark one with a small piece of tape. That'll be the moon. Now spin the unmarked tennis ball like the Earth ( counter-clock-wise ) and simulate the moon rotating around the earth while keeping the tape pointed to the Earth.

...what a neat Universe we live in.
    Last edited by Story Time; 2012-02-17 at 08:54 AM.

12. - Top - End - #252
    Titan in the Playground

We are not standing on the shoulders of giants, but on very tall tower of other dwarves.

Spriggan's Den Heroic Fantasy Roleplaying

13. - Top - End - #253
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Xuc Xac View Post
    Little kids will put anything in their mouths, including stuff that isn't food. People who think escargot is disgusting will happily pay premium prices for clams and oysters. People who would never eat fried crickets will happily suck on the head of a crawfish before ripping the legs off to get at the tail meat. Some people will happily eat venison but not understand how a horse could be considered edible. Lobster and shrimp used to be cheap "poor people food" that no one would eat unless they were starving, but now they are expensive delicacies. Learning what is "disgusting" is a result of culture, not instinct.
    It's both. Acclimatization to locally available edibles is an instinct, but it is what creates the cultural differences.
    Small children also put lots of things in their mouth because there is a lot of nerve endings in there, just look at a sensory homunculus.
    Quote Originally Posted by Calanon View Post
    Raven_Cry's comments often have the effects of a +5 Tome of Understanding

14. - Top - End - #254
    Barbarian in the Playground

My dad always likes to ask -- who was hungry enough to eat the first lobster?
    A potent relic of the past. 'Tis said the wearer commands the wisdom of kings, and can see the unseeable.
    Like the grue lurking in your bedroom waiting for you to fall asleep.
    But perhaps some things are better left unseen...
    Dazzling avatar by Ceika

15. - Top - End - #255
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Pheehelm View Post
    Well, it would probably be fairly late in human development, once we started migrating to areas that even had lobster.
    Still, while a lobster may pinch quite badly, at least it can't gore you like a gazelle.

16. - Top - End - #256
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Pheehelm View Post
    Whoever caught it
    Honestly though, if you try frying stuff, most animals are fairly edible and I suspect that whoever got the lobster was pleasantly surprised when cooking lead to such tender flesh. I'm sure our ancestors were very adventurous.

Here's a question. Why is a California King bed shorter but wider than a regular king bed?
    School Fox by Atlur

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Anarion's right on the money here.
    Quotes

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.”
    Oscar Wilde Writer & Poet (1891)

17. - Top - End - #257
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    Here's a question. Why is a California King bed shorter but wider than a regular king bed?
    Judging from the picture, I'd say it's the opposite: taller and less wide. (thinner?)

18. - Top - End - #258
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Why do microwaves have a popcorn button, if the bag always says not to use the popcorn button?

19. - Top - End - #259
    Troll in the Playground

what musical instrument would the personification of death play?
    a tiny space dedicated to a beloved grandpa now passed. may every lunch be peanut butter-banana sandwiches.
    i has 2/4 an internets.
    old avatars
    Spoiler
    Show

gnome_4ever:

20. - Top - End - #260

Pterry answered that one already

Spoiler
    Show
    Resident Vancian Apologist

21. - Top - End - #261
    Ettin in the Playground

I'm going to guess that death plays the violin. Or maybe the harp.
    Or perhaps the piano...
    I suppose it depends on what he feels like at the time.

Wait... I can so see it now... Death plays Jazz Alto Flute.
    Mauve Shirt, Savannah, Gnomish Wanderer, Cuthalion and Smuchmuch get cookies for making me avatars. (::)
    (::) Current avatar by Smuchmuch (::)

Co Founder of LUTAS - For all your less than useful heroes out there.

My Deviant Art. Careful, it's full of ponies.

Dragons!

22. - Top - End - #262
    Ogre in the Playground

I can for some strange reason see Death playing a bit of tuba...

But I've always wondered why quite a few tea drinkers like their tea, and can taste if you're even a little wrong even if they don't say anything. A lot I've met even stick to the same brand and will only vary the types of tea a little bit.

Why is it so easy to taste just that little bit more sugar than one likes for a lot of people and why is varying the type of tea not really done?

Just an afterthought about space perhaps risking being off-topic! :-
    Spoiler
    Show
    Also, not really a strange question, but why is there so much space in space? Nobody really knows; there's even a theory that the universe started off with both matter and anti-matter which is why there's such little left. Why isn't the universe just a massive nebula and how did the most basic elements become so much more?

--EDIT-- @Factotum - I spoiled it because it's a pretty commonly asked question and not really weird at all. Most people have wondered such a thing for millennia after all.
    Last edited by Rain Dragon; 2012-03-08 at 02:54 AM.
    I go by they/them/their or he/him/his pronouns

23. - Top - End - #263

BlackDragon

Dunno why you spoilered that...it is, however, one of the fundamental questions they're always trying to answer in astrophysics: why is the universe not symmetrical? As for where basic elements came from, once you've managed to introduce the initial asymmetry in the soup left after the Big Bang, it all happens from there; matter clumps together and keeps doing so until it's big and dense enough to form stars. All heavier elements than hydrogen and helium are created in stars, and it's been long enough since the beginning of the universe that these elements have become plentiful enough to form planets and the like.

24. - Top - End - #264
    Titan in the Playground

Well, even nebula, as spectacular as they may look from a dstance, are more rarefied than the hardest vacuum that can be produced on Earth.
    Still, it is a big question, bigger even than the Fermi paradox, for which I have an answer I don't like but is becoming frighteningly plausible nonetheless.

25. - Top - End - #265
    Ettin in the Playground

Enlighten us as to your answer to the Fermi Paradox.
    You've piqued my curiosity.
    Of course, you can refuse to answer if you so desire.
    Last edited by Elemental; 2012-03-08 at 03:26 AM.
    Mauve Shirt, Savannah, Gnomish Wanderer, Cuthalion and Smuchmuch get cookies for making me avatars. (::)

Dragons!

26. - Top - End - #266
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Elemental View Post
    Enlighten us as to your answer to the Fermi Paradox.
    You've piqued my curiosity.
    We're all trapped on the rock balls that spawned us, forced to gaze out to stars we will never hold, to vistas uncharted, to mountains unclimbed, to seas never swam.
    It is true we have sent robotic emissaries to some of the other worlds that huddle around a spark in darkness and even in a moment of strange boldness touched foot on the nearest island out, but we will never spread beyond these shoals, never truly flying nor truly plumbing the depths of the endless measure of infinity.
    If there are other species, other minds, they are as trapped as we at the bottom of a deep well, climbing up a little ways perhaps, though all too likely not, but no further, at best to die when their sun gutters into eternal night and likely much sooner.
    I weep for our species, for all species, if this be true.
    Last edited by Ravens_cry; 2012-03-08 at 03:36 AM.

27. - Top - End - #267
    Troll in the Playground

@Ravens_cry: That was poetic. Thank you.

28. - Top - End - #268
    Ettin in the Playground

Sounds like the universe to me.
    Except for the part about being trapped here until our doom. I believe the human race will eventually move somewhere else. If not to other stars, other planets at least.

Dragons!

29. - Top - End - #269
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Elemental View Post
    Sounds like the universe to me.
    Except for the part about being trapped here until our doom. I believe the human race will eventually move somewhere else. If not to other stars, other planets at least.
    I hope so, I really do.
    @Scotchland
    What can I say, I feel passionate about this.

30. - Top - End - #270
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ravens_cry View Post
    I hope so, I really do.
    @Scotchland
    What can I say, I feel passionate about this.
    Well, I'm just going to be the first to claim control over Ganymede. It's the place in the outer solar system with the least deadly environment. It may be cold and airless, but at least we won't be bombarded by deadly radiation much.

Dragons!