New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Poor Malack

1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Poor Malack

Malack seems to believe that once freed, vampire Durkon is going to be as congenial a conversational partner as before. If he does actually manage to get home and free Durkon, though, I suspect Durkon may not cooperate with this plan as well as Malack expects.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Poor Malack

Awww, poor little Malack. My heart bleeds for him.

No, wait, that's my neck.
    Quote Originally Posted by Honest Tiefling View Post
    Attempting to use Iron Heart Surge can often lead to the player removing the 'not being beaten upside the head' condition.
    avatar by me. Extended sig here.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Flame of Anor View Post

Quote Originally Posted by T-O-E View Post
    MAJOR SPOILERS. Seriously!
    The last panel will be...
    Spoiler
    Show
    Black. 'The End' in white text.

Don't say I didn't warn you.
    I won a thread. Am I pathetic to list that in my signture? Yes. Of course I am.

Awesome avatar is awesome. And made by yldenfrei.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by Warren Dew View Post
    Malack seems to believe that once freed, vampire Durkon is going to be as congenial a conversational partner as before.
    If'n 'e truly lost 'is acc'nt, 'e won't be, lad.
    Last edited by Agnostik; 2013-03-07 at 03:41 AM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Orc in the Playground

MindFlayer

Malack seems to believe that once freed, vampire Durkon is going to be as congenial a conversational partner as before. If he does actually manage to get home and free Durkon, though, I suspect Durkon may not cooperate with this plan as well as Malack expects.
    I find it rather amusing that Malack can be downright monstrous in most scenes and painfully naive in others. Certainly not what one would expect from a 200-year old vampire.
    I don't think Durkon will cooperate with him at first, but he could just chain him to his coffin or something. Stockholm Syndrome for the win!

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by Malistrae View Post
    I find it rather amusing that Malack can be downright monstrous in most scenes and painfully naive in others.
    I get a less "naive" vibe, more "I've been undead for so long, I forgot how the living see it".

7. - Top - End - #7
    Pixie in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Can a vampy kill his sire?

8. - Top - End - #8
    Orc in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Did anyone notice that Durkula already lost his accent when he got his black speech bubble?
    How to turn off these annoying .sigs:

1. Edit your profile options.
    2. Scroll down to "Visible Post Elements".
    3. Uncheck "Show Signatures".
    4. Save changes.
    5. Enjoy a much less cluttered and noisy forum.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Barbarian in the Playground

Yes, we did.
    Spoiler: Out-of-context quotes
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Do not pass Go, do not collect $200.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    ...He would have to stay there permanently (without cake, somehow not breathing) for the prophecy to be fulfilled.
    Quote Originally Posted by ChristianSt View Post
    Maybe Blackwing is a Schrödinger's familiar.
    Any given member of the Order needs to do a quantum measurement to see if they remember him

Azurite Name Inspirations
    Rich is a better writer than that!
    Free speech?

10. - Top - End - #10
    Dwarf in the Playground

He can bite me. And NO, not that way.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

I also can't help feeling sad for malack. Yes, I know he's strongly evil with that "1000 per day will be sacrificed", but that is work. as he said, he's a slave for his god and his place is to obey and find reward in service. he was sincerely friendly to durkon (to the point of letting a credible treath to his party live only to fulfill his last wish) and is sorry that his work required him to kill his friend, but he is lawful, so duty comes first.

In fact, he strongly reminds me the scene when hilgya asks durkon to abandon his party and durkon sends her away because he has a duty. Here malack could have just fled without harming durkon, and durkon would probably have let him, but he can't because he has a duty. Of a completely different nature, but still a duty.
    He IS and evil opposite.

EDIT
    Quote Originally Posted by Rui View Post
    He can bite me. And NO, not that way.
    He can ALSO bite you that way. I doubt you're high level enough to stop him.
    Last edited by King of Nowhere; 2013-03-07 at 07:03 AM.
    In memory of Evisceratus: he dreamed of a better world, but he lacked the class levels to make the dream come true.

Ridiculous monsters you won't take seriously even as they disembowel you

my take on the highly skilled professional: the specialized expert

12. - Top - End - #12

ClericGirl

Damn it, the first thing I thought of when I saw the thread title was the 'bleeding for the vampire' gag. Then someone else posts it first.

Wow, I'm crying tears for Malack. No, wait, that's my ne-... ah, curse my lack of imagination and wit.
    Last edited by oppyu; 2013-03-07 at 07:32 AM.

13. - Top - End - #13

DwarfFighterGuy

This, basically. I mean, Durkon just got turned into the an undead abomination thrall of someone planning mass genocide, but POOR MALACK!

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomePirate

Quote Originally Posted by Hantheman View Post
    Can a vampy kill his sire?
    Yep. Once the child vampire gets his free will back, the sire has no power over him/her.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant
    Sometimes, a cigar is just a cigar. Sometimes, characters that have a similar hairstyle just have a similar hairstyle. How many hairstyles do you think there are that can be drawn in stick figure style, anyway?

15. - Top - End - #15
    Orc in the Playground

ElfRogueGirl

Will depends on how corrupt Durkon's soul is after he's given free will at last. He might not fully agree with Malack, but he might have a fresh new perspective on things now that he's a vampire. We might see how it unfolds sooner or later.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Pixie in the Playground

I for one can't wait to see how it unfolds as Durkon has probably the least character development out of all the OOTS. It will be nice to see him in the spotlight as he reconciles the fact he is now undead etc.

MAXIMIZED Energy Drain, dumbass

17. - Top - End - #17
    Colossus in the Playground

I am so tempted to start a thread titled, "Poor Xykon," about his inability to enjoy coffee.

(No, not going to. I don't think the moderators would think it was funny. But I'm just saying, it's tempting. Garg.)

18. - Top - End - #18
    Pixie in the Playground

RogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Procyonpi View Post
    Durkon just got turned into the an undead abomination thrall of someone planning mass genocide, but POOR MALACK!
    Now, that's jumping to conclusions. If I make thralls and plan mass murder, and I'm an undead abomination sworn to serve a God of Death and Destruction, it doesn't mean I'm evil. Malack must be... "good-impaired".
    Come on, Freshmouth.

19. - Top - End - #19

MindFlayer

Malack's hints at his living past make me want to see some sort of Tarquin party equivalent to Start of Darkness

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

I get a less "naive" vibe, more "I've been undead for so long, I forgot how the living see it".
    I think that's it. He's obviously very wise, but in a sense he's kind of like Belkar or Nale in that he only understands sane human/humanoid thought processes in a purely academic and abstract sense. He understands that Durkon will probably be upset, but presumes that he'll just get over it in 1d4 weeks, as long as Malack doesn't kill any of his friends in front of him.

It's perfectly logical -- after all, people do get over betrayals and heartbreaks given time -- but no normal, feeling human being would make this kind of error in judgment.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Troll in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Quote Originally Posted by Steward View Post
    I think that's it. He's obviously very wise, but in a sense he's kind of like Belkar or Nale in that he only understands sane human/humanoid thought processes in a purely academic and abstract sense. He understands that Durkon will probably be upset, but presumes that he'll just get over it in 1d4 weeks, as long as Malack doesn't kill any of his friends in front of him.

It's perfectly logical -- after all, people do get over betrayals and heartbreaks given time -- but no normal, feeling human being would make this kind of error in judgment.
    Who knows, malack may even be correct. maybe after a few years durkon will accept his new nature. I doubt he'll be wanting to be friend with malack anyway, given the mass sacrifice involved, but aside from that he may get over everything else.
    And, if being a vampire changes the way you think and pushes you towards evil, maybe durkon may lose thor's support, and start asking nergal for spells. Then he will become malack's friend.
    After all, malack probably don't remember very much how humans think, but he knows very well the mental processes of vampires. And durkon is one of those at the moment.
    In memory of Evisceratus: he dreamed of a better world, but he lacked the class levels to make the dream come true.

Ridiculous monsters you won't take seriously even as they disembowel you

my take on the highly skilled professional: the specialized expert

22. - Top - End - #22

DwarfFighterGuy

I am so tempted to start a thread titled, "Poor Xykon," about his inability to enjoy coffee.

(No, not going to. I don't think the moderators would think it was funny. But I'm just saying, it's tempting. Garg.)
    Why stop there? Make a thread that argues that Xykon is Chaotic Good. Hell, if you put your mind to it, I'm sure you could come up with an argument that Xykon is lawful good and the real hero of the comic because he, like, didn't kill Redcloak this one time when it would have been really funny. In fact, I bet he's secretly a Paladin!
    Last edited by Procyonpi; 2013-03-07 at 08:20 PM.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Dwarf in the Playground

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by snikrept View Post
    Malack's hints at his living past make me want to see some sort of Tarquin party equivalent to Start of Darkness
    +1!

24. - Top - End - #24
    Orc in the Playground

Hey! I honestly felt bad for Xykon when he lost the ability to enjoy coffee... Because I can actually feel simpathy, not like him... It was a big hit to one of his last remnants of "humanity"/living... Also that feeling lasted like 2, 3 seconds at most...
    As the size of an explosion increases, the number of social situations it is incapable of solving approaches zero.

Blackwing: I prefer to think of myself a super-advanced flying stealth dinosaur.

Forum Explorer: Reading or watching Cupcakes is like being shot. We honor your suffering but nobody wants it to happen.

25. - Top - End - #25

Quote Originally Posted by Steward View Post

That actually makes sense, while I don't like the wording "sane" he is clearly detached from average human(oid) thoughts in being an undead for over 200 years. He is wise, however his wisdom is interpreted in a way contrary to how most humanoids go about thinking.

26. - Top - End - #26

Quote Originally Posted by Chantelune View Post
    Will depends on how corrupt Durkon's soul is after he's given free will at last.
    I've been wondering about this a LOT. While Durkon's now evil, he's still Lawful, and engaged on a quest to save the whole world. No matter how selfish he may become, he still has a pressing reason to help.

...then again, he might just go over to Xykon, if he gets imprinted with the usual vampiric UNDEATH IS KEEN! mentality, and if he feels that safely controlling the Gates is possible.

Quote Originally Posted by snikrept View Post
    SHUT UP AND TAKE MY...

...oh wait. You're not Rich. NVM

27. - Top - End - #27

Quote Originally Posted by mawexzon View Post
    +1!
    Make that a +2. Reading more about Tarquin and Co. as a prequel would make this comic even more amazing. I love both Malack and Tarquin, and I'm pretty confident I'll enjoy the rest of his team equally.
    Order of the Stick Avatar done by the talented Kymme.

Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    The Half-Hamster template gives me advantageous size and ability score bonuses, and combos well with my inherited Elderberry Radiance (Ex). Which is more than I can say for you, you class-dipping CL-losing Evoker!
    I was eating THOSE BEANS!!

28. - Top - End - #28
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rakoa View Post
    Make that a +2. Reading more about Tarquin and Co. as a prequel would make this comic even more amazing. I love both Malack and Tarquin, and I'm pretty confident I'll enjoy the rest of his team equally.
    I'm pretty sure everyone on the forum wants this book.
    Quote Originally Posted by Honest Tiefling View Post
    Attempting to use Iron Heart Surge can often lead to the player removing the 'not being beaten upside the head' condition.
    avatar by me. Extended sig here.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ettin in the Playground

I'm pretty sure everyone on the forum wants this book.
    I don't.

/hipster
    THE SCRYING EYE AT THE END OF STRIP #698 WAS ZZ'DTRI'S (SOURCE)

30. - Top - End - #30
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Gift Jeraff View Post
    I don't.

/hipster
    Get out
    Quote Originally Posted by Rakoa View Post
    I would love to see and meet the rest of Tarquin's team too!

...especially that cute catgirl (Even if she is insufferably evil - what else can be expected from a cat?)