New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121314 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #361
    Barbarian in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Default Re: Number of Character Appearances IV

Quote Originally Posted by TheWombatOfDoom View Post
    Are we allowed?
    You can't add it to the board coding, but you can always make an image that people can insert. Which is what like, half of the smilies on the first post are.
    Last edited by Procyonpi; 2013-03-08 at 10:58 AM.

2. - Top - End - #362
    Troll in the Playground

And draw it yourself rather than taking it from the comic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Honest Tiefling View Post
    Attempting to use Iron Heart Surge can often lead to the player removing the 'not being beaten upside the head' condition.
    avatar by me. Extended sig here.

3. - Top - End - #363
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Procyonpi View Post
    You can't add it to the board coding, but you can always make an image that people can insert. Which is what like, half of the smilies on the first post are.
    I was under the impression that we are not allowed to reproduce his characters images, even if we are not directly copying it from the actual image...*shrug* All I see on the front page are the smileys in the boarding code. I think thats because of where I am at the moment (I can't see most avatars either).
    Scientific Name: Wombous apocolypticus | Diet: Apocolypse Pie | Cuddly: Yes

World Building Projects:
    Magic
    : The Stuff of Sentience | Fate: The Fabric of Physics | Luck: The Basis of Biology

Order of the Stick Projects:
    Annotation of the Comic | Magic Compendium of the Comic | Transcription of the Comic
    Dad-a-chum? Dum-a-chum? Ded-a-chek? Did-a-chick?
    Extended Signature | My DeviantArt | Majora's Mask Point Race
    (you can't take the sky from me)

4. - Top - End - #364
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TheWombatOfDoom View Post
    I was under the impression that we are not allowed to reproduce his characters images, even if we are not directly copying it from the actual image...*shrug* All I see on the front page are the smileys in the boarding code. I think thats because of where I am at the moment (I can't see most avatars either).
    Are you saying fanart is illegal? I highly doubt that.
    Attempting to use Iron Heart Surge can often lead to the player removing the 'not being beaten upside the head' condition.

5. - Top - End - #365
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Flame of Anor View Post
    Are you saying fanart is illegal? I highly doubt that.
    Fanart that is indistinguishable from what the original author draws is most certainly a copyright violation, since you are making a copy without the right to do so.

That is all I will say, though: this is a dangerous topic to pursue. Discussing legal matters falls under "professional advice" according to the mods, which is verboten.

Look, an obvious distraction! ::runs::

Grey Wolf
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

6. - Top - End - #366
    Bugbear in the Playground

Okay: not saying for sure yet if it's an omission, since maybe I just failed to find the correct name, but can you tell me if the Female Assistant Cleric, first seen in #298 with Haley, and then in #303, figure on the list?
    Spoiler
    Show

DM: At the end of the meal, the innkeeper is bringing you the cheese plate. Roll for initiative.
    PC: Excuse me, what?
    DM: I said, roll for initiative. They like their cheese really ripe in these parts. They have the ooze type.

"Excuse me, but... is it a GOOD or a BAD thing when the DM can't help bursting into laughter every time he hears the phrase 'level-appropriate encounter'? No, just curious..."

Extended signature

7. - Top - End - #367
    Ogre in the Playground

Azure City High Priestess. And she is first seen in 267 (next to last panel)
    Here is a numbering of all character appearances in OOTS

8. - Top - End - #368

I wouldn't have thought that's the same character...
    Spoiler
    Show

DM: At the end of the meal, the innkeeper is bringing you the cheese plate. Roll for initiative.
    DM: I said, roll for initiative. They like their cheese really ripe in these parts. They have the ooze type.

"Excuse me, but... is it a GOOD or a BAD thing when the DM can't help bursting into laughter every time he hears the phrase 'level-appropriate encounter'? No, just curious..."

Extended signature

9. - Top - End - #369
    Firbolg in the Playground

Imp

Yeah, that doesn't look at all like the same character to me. The two from 267 also appear in 283.
    Last edited by Fawkes; 2013-03-10 at 03:56 PM.
    Spoiler: I've checked out the spoiler thoroughly and there's no actual erotic Harry Potter fanfiction
    Show
    I've checked out the comic thoroughly and there's no actual erotic Harry Potter fanfiction
    I can't find the one with the "cartoon butt," though.
    OK, finally tracked the Naked Superheroes guy down
    What do you see as being objectionable about it? The use of the word "bimbos"?
    Quote Originally Posted by stack View Post
    There are no nipples or genitals
    Looks like a nipple when I look close.
    Then don't look close.

10. - Top - End - #370
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Wrecan View Post
    Azure City High Priestess. And she is first seen in 267 (next to last panel)
    No, the hair is completely different.

11. - Top - End - #371

Quote Originally Posted by Fawkes View Post
    Yeah, that doesn't look at all like the same character to me. The two from 267 also appear in 283.
    They also show up in 284.

12. - Top - End - #372
    Ogre in the Playground

Ah, then I confused the character. I'll add her in
    Last edited by Wrecan; 2013-03-11 at 07:34 AM.

13. - Top - End - #373

About the notable alterations, I was wondering how are treated the disguises. I see Nale-as-Elan and Tarquin-as-Thog, but no hint of Belkar-as-Shojo...
    Spoiler
    Show

Extended signature

14. - Top - End - #374
    Ogre in the Playground

That's weird. We had counted Belkar as Shojo. Don't know how that got deleted. I'll put him back in!

15. - Top - End - #375
    Ogre in the Playground

Fun facts! The named characters who have appeared in the main comic, but who have more bonus appearances than non-bonus appearances are:

Dark One
    Dorukan
    Eugene Greenhilt
    Frudu
    Sir Francois
    Fyron Pucebuckle
    Lirian
    Marduk
    Redcloak
    Sara Greenhilt
    The Snarl

16. - Top - End - #376
    Troll in the Playground

Redcloak? Wow, there's more of SoD than I thought.

17. - Top - End - #377
    Ogre in the Playground

Ah, then I confused the character. I'll add her in
    Both of those clerics look male to me. Why is everyone assuming they're female?

EDIT: And even if the black-haired one is female, I don't see anything to suggest she's the High Priestess; there are four clerics in the trial scene and the High Priest isn't one of them. In fact, I'm a bit confused about how we're listing all four of the clerics seen in #283 and #284. As far as I can see, it should be two appearances each for the pair on the right (with a +1 for the female), and three each for the pair on the left, as they were first seen in #267.

EDIT 2: It seems you've also conflated the High Priest with the blue-bearded guy in #267. They're not the same character; the High Priest's beard is long and grey. He's currently listed as having eight appearances, but I can only think of four (apart from the bonus strip in W&XPs, he's in #303, #410, #412 and #456). Is there another appearance I've forgotten?
    Last edited by Nimrod's Son; 2013-03-12 at 09:39 PM. Reason: wrong link

18. - Top - End - #378

Fun facts! The named characters who have appeared in the main comic, but who have more bonus appearances than non-bonus appearances are:

Dark One
    Dorukan
    Eugene Greenhilt
    Frudu
    Sir Francois
    Fyron Pucebuckle
    Lirian
    Marduk
    Redcloak
    Sara Greenhilt
    The Snarl
    Completely missed that Sir Francois was in the main comic -- neat.

I think you can add Julio Scoundrél to the list, what with that extended SS&DT adventure of his.
    Last edited by Bird; 2013-03-11 at 09:27 PM.

19. - Top - End - #379

"Shlubbo Noname-zaki" is listed as having only one appearance. But it is pretty clear that he shows up several times throughout the battle, starting in strip 419, panel 3.

20. - Top - End - #380
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Nimrod's Son View Post
    Both of those clerics look male to me. Why is everyone assuming they're female?

EDIT: And even if the black-haired one is female, I don't see anything to suggest she's the High Priestess; there are four clerics in the trial scene and the High Priest isn't one of them. In fact, I'm a bit confused about how we're listing all four of the clerics seen in #283 and #284. As far as I can see, it should be two appearances each for the pair on the right (with a +1 for the female), and three each for the pair on the left, as they were first seen in #267.

EDIT 2: It seems you've also conflated the High Priest with the blue-bearded guy in #267. They're not the same character; the High Priest's beard is long and grey. He's currently listed as having eight appearances, but I can only think of four (apart from the bonus strip in W&XPs, he's in #303, #410, #412 and #456). Is there another appearance I've forgotten?
    I'm sorry. I can't go back through strips and constantly reconstruct what has happened because people think they've found a glitch. I can't do it. There's over 800 strips. You're asking about strips that appeared years ago and the threads that discussed them have been lost to time.

There may be errors. There may not be errors. But I can't take a half-hour out of my day just to hunt down shadows whenever somebody thinks they found an error.

21. - Top - End - #381
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by 137ben View Post
    "Shlubbo Noname-zaki" is listed as having only one appearance. But it is pretty clear that he shows up several times throughout the battle, starting in strip 419, panel 3.
    He's the "Grand Larcenist", not Shlubbo Noname-zaki. Shlubbo Noname-zaki is the random soldier on the first panel.
    Last edited by martianmister; 2013-03-12 at 08:19 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #382
    Ogre in the Playground

There may be errors. There may not be errors.
    There are errors, and I clearly described some of them to you. But if you want to leave it as it is, despite those two characters clearly having very different beard shapes and colours, then fine; it's your thread.

23. - Top - End - #383
    Ogre in the Playground

NS,

it's not clear and I remember there being discussion about it at the time. I'm not going to rehash comics whose discussion threads no longer exist. I'm imposing a statute of limitations on this stuff because otherwise every three months I get hit with the same damn questions.

My God, that comic is more than seven years old. It is now impossible to go back and reconstruct the conversations.

It's entirely possible that through some brilliant series of deductions some other poster at the time determined exactly why the individual you think are two clerics are the same guy. But I don't have that record of the conversation anymore. So it's futile to try to rehash it. And if I change it now because of what you believe, then I'm going to through it all over again when someone else realizes why you may be wrong.

So, new rule... If the discussion about that comic no longer exists (and we only can go as far back as comic 371), it's not getting changed. I am putting it in the FAQ so nobody can be surprised by this. I don't think that's unreasonable.

24. - Top - End - #384
    Barbarian in the Playground

Is there another appearance I've forgotten?
    There's also at least Dead High Priest in Heaven...

25. - Top - End - #385
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LuPuWei View Post
    There's also at least Dead High Priest in Heaven...
    Wait, I got a 22!

26. - Top - End - #386

NS,

it's not clear and I remember there being discussion about it at the time. I'm not going to rehash comics whose discussion threads no longer exist. I'm imposing a statute of limitations on this stuff because otherwise every three months I get hit with the same damn questions.

My God, that comic is more than seven years old. It is now impossible to go back and reconstruct the conversations.

It's entirely possible that through some brilliant series of deductions some other poster at the time determined exactly why the individual you think are two clerics are the same guy. But I don't have that record of the conversation anymore. So it's futile to try to rehash it. And if I change it now because of what you believe, then I'm going to through it all over again when someone else realizes why you may be wrong.

So, new rule... If the discussion about that comic no longer exists (and we only can go as far back as comic 371), it's not getting changed. I am putting it in the FAQ so nobody can be surprised by this. I don't think that's unreasonable.
    I agree 99.9% of the time. If someone somehow notices an error which is obvious and the solution is unambiguous, I think it should be changed. But in the case of identifying/conflating nameless characters with few or no lines across different strips (even if those strips are consecutive) I think we should not keep rehashing it. If someone notices that every previous holder of this thread missed an appearance of an important, unambiguous character, and it does not require a huge amount of work to check (e.g. there is a typo in the "first appearance" and no dispute as to whether said appearance is actually the first appearance) then there is no reason not to change it. But in any other case, it should be left as is.

27. - Top - End - #387
    Ogre in the Playground

It's entirely possible that through some brilliant series of deductions some other poster at the time determined exactly why the individual you think are two clerics are the same guy.
    What? No it isn't. They are very clearly two separate characters, and any "deductions" anyone may have made at the time are no more canon than the idea that the statue in the Empire of Blood in strip #750 shows Tarquin beheading Roy. One character's beard is short and blue, the other's is long and grey. You'd need some pretty compelling textual evidence to claim that they are the same person, and I assure you none exists.

I see where you're coming from as a wider point, but it's pretty cut and dried in this case. The High Priest has the four appearances I listed above, plus the afterlife scene LuPuWei pointed out (plus a bonus strip). The eight appearances currently listed would logically include these five and the three for the blue-bearded guy. So it should be:

Azure City High Priest: 5 (+1) (starting at #303)
    Azure City Cleric with Black Hair: 3 (starting at #267)
    Azure City Cleric with Blue Beard: 3 (starting at #267)

The other two clerics in the trial scene are already listed correctly, except the "Azure City long-haired priestess" should have a (+1) for her appearance on both pages of #284. The "Azure City High Priestess" should be removed altogether, since Haley's the only female in the linked strip, and there's nothing in the comic to suggest Azure City even has a High Priestess.

I've done most of the work for you there, and according to the rules of the thread it's legit. It doesn't matter what conversations went on when that strip went up - any conjecture about how the High Priest may have dyed his beard and somehow made it double in length in the space of a few strips is just that: conjecture.

I don't think that's unreasonable.
    Not only do I think it's unreasonable, but I find it massively self-defeating as well. Dismissing any possible changes just because "it's too much work" is going to end with an inaccurate list, plain and simple. You might as well stop counting incidental characters altogether. If someone can provide clear evidence of a mistake, as I have above, and no one disagrees with it, why should we need to go back and check what was said at the time?
    Last edited by Nimrod's Son; 2013-03-12 at 10:23 PM.

28. - Top - End - #388
    Troll in the Playground

I agree entirely with Nimrod's Son. Both on the matter of character appearances (I checked his figures) and on that of policy: it's just lazy to ignore such an obvious mistake as this.

I have one addendum, though: the blue-haired aphasia cleric should be listed with two appearances (298 and 303). Note that he is a man and thus almost certainly not a high priestess.
    Last edited by Flame of Anor; 2013-03-13 at 12:58 AM.

29. - Top - End - #389
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Flame of Anor View Post
    I have one addendum, though: the blue-haired aphasia cleric should be listed with two appearances (298 and 303). Note that he is a man and thus almost certainly not a high priestess.
    That's "Azure City assistant cleric" in the list; Wrecan added that one the other day, but left the number appearances for the character it had been conflated with (currently listed as the High Priestess) at five where it should be three.

30. - Top - End - #390
    Troll in the Playground

That's "Azure City assistant cleric" in the list; Wrecan added that one the other day, but left the number appearances for the character it had been conflated with (currently listed as the High Priestess) at five where it should be three.
    Ah, okay then.