New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Champions of Prophecy (IC Thread)

"All things in nature are cyclical. As the rain falls, pools, evaporates, and falls again, so do we. We are born, live, die, and are reborn again. We have lived thousands of lives, and will live thousands more. Until the Savior comes and breaks the laws of nature."
    -From the Heralding of a New Dawn
    Prophesied by Dawn Lightbringer of the Third Circle
    As recorded by Court Scribe Nelias Fronten in 1309, Brelsch Calendar

You have dedicated your lives as Servants of the Holy Light, a powerful organization that draws the best and brightest men and women from throughout the land to keep peace and order in all of Aldenia. It is a noble duty, and one that carries great respect and duty. Those wearing the Sun Sigil are simultaneously servants to those around them, and revered champions who will want for nothing. The Servants wait for the coming of a Savior, one who will fight back the darkness that has trapped the souls of all in the cycle of rebirth, keeping them from ascending to the heavenly paradise that should await all.

The six of you have been called before the Lightbringer to be sent on a dangerous mission of utmost urgency. The destiny of the world, and the fight with the shadow, is on the line. You have been chosen to be the last line of salvation for the world. If your mission succeeds, the endless cycle will break, and the natural order will be restored to the world after centuries of rebirth.

You have gathered in her offices at the Citadel of Illum, in the holy city of Avandan, a massive fortress city settled on Sun's Peak, a mountain surrounded by low hills. She has briefed you on the situation, there is a teenage girl in the small village of Amonya, on the eastern coast of the continent. The girl must be secured, and brought back to Avandan, so she can be protected from the forces of Shadow. Her safety is of utmost importance, as she may be the one that prophecy says will break the Shadow's seal on the afterlife.

"I pray I have made myself clear on this matter. You must be quick in securing the girl, and quick in your return. The forces of Shadow will try to disrupt your mission. You must all be willing to ive your life for the saving of this world."
    Last edited by tigerusthegreat; 2012-07-19 at 09:12 AM.
    The Chaotic Evil Dungeon Master

2. - Top - End - #2

Default Re: Champions of Prophecy (IC Thread)

"You certainly have made yourself clear," Joan says with a bit of a smile. "I promise you that I shall not fail this most important mission..." Joan bows, before adding, almost as an afterthought, "...nor will the others. I will make sure of it. We shall fight with our lives to complete this great task, in the name of the Shining Light, and all people who live illuminated by his grace."
    It's been a bit, GitP. If you're reading this, you're either digging through old stuff, or I've posted for the first time in forever.

If you want to stay in touch, reach out to me on twitter (same username).

The best answer is always to ask your DM.
    Unless you're the DM, in which case you should talk to your players.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateCaptain

A man decked in weathered wilderness outfit removed his hood and mask as he leisurely made his way towards the citadel, an owl flying gently alongside.

"Well...no reason to use this here. 'Sides, I almost got reprimanded last time... no, I think they already did!~", he told the owl as the man recalled a time when he, after returning from a mission, deliberately tried acting and looking suspicious to see the other servant's reaction. It was uncalled for and a very bad prank, even by his standards.

Being called in such urgency sent a particular renewed sense of excitement in his veins. Anoush, whose claim to fame was hunting fiends during the dead of night, strangely haven't had such encounters for some days now. He immediately went back to Avandan as soon as he heard the summons.

Gathered beside him were some of the more talented and better members in the organization, which for him cemented the fact that this next mission will be no easy feat. Probably difficult enough that I'll get killed in no time if I get sent alone, he thought.

"As you wish, Lady Lightbringer. I'll be sure to keep those shadow curs from touching our target", he replied to the lady after her briefing, a wide grin of confidence momentarily escaping from his mouth.
    Quote Originally Posted by MERC_1 View Post
    I find it very amusing that a very theoretical discussion of how to Optimize Bardic Music, turns into a discussion on how much worms you can eat in 7 minutes.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

A twitchy man, obviously uncomfortable in his chair, sits forward and speaks up.
    "Ahem, I have a question. What do we know of these forces of Shadow that might be pursuing her? Should we look for someone specific?"

5. - Top - End - #5

"I can only imagine," Joan says, speaking up quite suddenly, before anybody else has a chance to answer, "that the forces that will oppose us will be as varied as they are at any other time. You cannot know your enemy by their looks, merely by their actions." Joan nods, remember the sagely advice of her instructors and proud of herself for remembering it.
    It's been a bit, GitP. If you're reading this, you're either digging through old stuff, or I've posted for the first time in forever.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

"All the forces of the Shadow will come for you on this quest. The undead, demons, devils....everything you have ever faced, and then horrors from your nightmares. He will stop at nothing to keep the world in this vicious cycle of reincarnation forever...especially when some of us long for our devout rewards in the heavens that are blocked to us."

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

"We must be on our way shortly then. Is there any more briefing we require before leaving?" Teene speaks as if towards everyone in the room, yet looking at the Lightbringer herself. "This mission is of the utmost importance and we can not simply dawdle while we let this slip through our fingers." She almost continues, but quiets herself promptly.
    Awards
    Spoiler
    Show

Zombie Invasion
    I lived through the Invasion of the Zombies and all I got was this lousy signature thingie made by a lazy narrator. Go me!
    Nexus of the Future

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Heilan nods, "The Shadow shall not hold against the Light, we shall succeed"
    Doug

Currently GMing :
    Moonshae Mysteries IC / OOC / Central Map / west rooms map / east rooms map
    Moonshae Tales IC / OOC / Map
    Map of Area

9. - Top - End - #9

"Indeed we shall! Demons, undead; such vile creatures shall never succeed against the light, nor against the great Sanguerra family," Joan proudly announces, striking a slight pose. After a few seconds, though, she drops it and asks, a bit awkwardly and anticlimactically, "Might we, ah, be able to... purchase supplies? I must admit that I am ill equipped for such a journey. I've spent much time studying and practicing recently, and have had no need for such things as tents and trail rations."

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ettin in the Playground

The group mounts up, most on their own steeds, but a few on borrowed horses. The time has come to finally decide on a path. The northern route is the easiest, the roads are well maintained and there is little likelihood of being delayed. The middle route is the shortest geographically, but requires the use of bad roads, and travelling through the Swamp of Despair, a mire dotted with tombs and rumored to have a great deal of undead. Finally, there is the southern route, which involves heading to the port of Salinden, and chartering a vessel to take you to the far coast and back. The sea is dangerous, but this would be the quickest route, as a ship can travel far easier through water than a man overland.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

"I think we should go through the Swamps. Time is of the essence, but I don't think that we can afford the lack of mobility we would be forced into on a ship."
    Vassikyn looks to the others.
    "What do you guys think?"

OOC-
    What kind of horses are the people who are borrowing horses riding? Vassikyn would be one of those people, as he wouldn't want to slow down everyone else by riding Yssa. (30 ft move as opposed to say, 50 or 60 for a horse)
    Last edited by Techwarrior; 2012-07-21 at 10:30 PM.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ettin in the Playground

(borrowed horses are heavy horses (not heavy warhorses))

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

I recommend the northern route, better time will be made on the well travelled roads, travelling the swamp road risks bogged out sections which will slow the horses.
    The northern route likely offers inns and other well maintained easy rest stops, which will save us time otherwise spent on preparing a campsite each day.
    Doug

Currently GMing :
    Map of Area

14. - Top - End - #14

"I, on the other hand, say we shall take the middle route. Father Ortho always told me..." Joan begins, before realizing that she doesn't quite remember and desperately reaching for the words she'd hear so many times. "Always told me that... the easiest route is not always the... easiest?" She flounders for a few seconds, knowing full well that she's messed up his teaching slightly, but steels herself and regains her confident posture and speech. "Furthermore, there are rumors of undead in the Swamp of Despair. Should they come to impede our journey, this would be their most likely source, and it would be much better to thwart them before we have our charge to worry about as well."

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

"Allow me to point something out about the main road. We know that the forces of Shadow are looking for us. If we go by the main road, we will have to look over our shoulders the whole time. However, going through the swamp we'd have a lot easier time keeping an eye on whoever is looking to stop us."

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Before finally leaving for the mission, Anoush formally introduced himself to his companions, cracking a lame joke or two in what would be an attempt to break the ice. Afterwards, he began mounting up for the journey. A brief discussion then began, concerning which path to take.

Anoush was nodding his head in agreement with the lady paladin. Joan of... of what house again? Gah, I'm not good with names...

"Yea... yea. That's what I was thinking of as well. These fiends are going to attack as there anyway, so why not reduce their forces along the journey? Besides, aren't some of us...", he paused briefly, trying to piece his words carefully as he continued, "and I'm saying this with my utmost respect a'ight... aren't some of us strictly forbidden by their oaths to pass such opportunity up in the first place?"
    Last edited by ben-zayb; 2012-07-22 at 11:26 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by MERC_1 View Post
    I find it very amusing that a very theoretical discussion of how to Optimize Bardic Music, turns into a discussion on how much worms you can eat in 7 minutes.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

Vassikyn turns and glares at Annoush.
    "The fate of the world, nay the multiverse could very well rest in our hands. I'm not suggesting that we ignore the forces of Shadow. I'm saying that we have more pressing matters at hand. If they catch us, I'll be one of the first to press the attack, as you mentioned, I am bound by my agreement with our goddess. However, I will sacrifice my oath before I allow us to fail. I'm sure she would understand that some things are more important than one poor champion's honor."
    Last edited by Techwarrior; 2012-07-22 at 11:25 AM.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

There is no dishonour in pursuing the fastest route to accomplish our mission instead of sidetracking to hunt down every rumour of evil that we hear, once the cycle is broken we will have time enough to chase rumours and find their truths.

For me, i have expressed my preferred route, should we put it to a vote?

Spoiler
    Show

As I understand it we have:
    3 votes for the swamps: vassikyn, anoush and joan;
    1 vote for the road: heilan;
    no votes for the boat.
    Last edited by only1doug; 2012-07-22 at 02:12 PM.
    Doug

Currently GMing :
    Map of Area

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

"A vote is fine by me, even if my opinion is not what we decided on, at least a vote is the best way to handle this kind of disagreement."

20. - Top - End - #20

"I hardly think a formal vote is needed," Joan replies, not quite able to keep herself from smiling. "It seems like the majority of our group agrees with me. If you still need convincing, however, ask yourself this: would you rather be proactive in removing this threat, or have them attack while we are protecting the girl, endangering her and making our job that much harder?"

"Good," she thinks to herself, having finished her statement, "it looks like they're already recognizing my tactical acumen! I can't wait to tell everybody that I managed to put their teachings into practice so flawlessly!"

21. - Top - End - #21
    Dwarf in the Playground

Teene finally speaks up. "I would ask why we are wasting time assaulting the dead when the girl needs our help sooner." Taking a few gallops forward towards the middle route, she turns back and continues. "But instead of wasting time talking to each other, I say we go into the swamp. I suppose that would make it majority vote." Crossing her arms, waiting for the others to move.

After a moment, Teene's head tilts forward in error, shoulders drooping. "My apologies. I have spoken out of turn. All I wish for is to complete this in the timeliest of ways."
    Awards
    Spoiler
    Show

Zombie Invasion
    I lived through the Invasion of the Zombies and all I got was this lousy signature thingie made by a lazy narrator. Go me!
    Nexus of the Future

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Ah, Joan, your every word makes me believe that the swamp route is the one to avoid, but if the will of the group is the swamp I shall not argue further than this:
    our task is to get the girl to safety, We should not plan to defeat every dark minion that might possibly cross our path, just those that actually present a barrier. The Dark forces number beyond counting, it would be foolish to waste our strength on a few of them while the others use the delay to grab the girl.

Once we have travelled together for a while, and gained a true measure of each other we should decide a party leader, so as to have a swift resolution to time critical decisions.

Heilan athletically springs into the saddle of his horse, despite the oily blue full-plate he is wearing and waves at the three paths with his shining greatsword, "lead on then, let us away!"

An instant later his armour and sword have vanished, replaced by merchants clothing, "perhaps we should adopt the guise of some merchants and their guards?"
    Last edited by only1doug; 2012-07-23 at 03:29 AM.
    Doug

Currently GMing :
    Map of Area

23. - Top - End - #23

"Worry not, for I hold... full confidence that our path of action will benefit not only us, but the girl we are meant to protect," Joan says, faltering only slightly. She says her prayers as the others speak, calling her companion in a shining column of light; when it fades, there is a mighty rhino standing among the others, with beautiful, gilded armor that matches Joan's and an almost artistic saddle. "Hello, my dearest Ivory. It's great to see you once more," Joan whispers as she pulls herself into the saddle.

"I'm... not quite sure how well I would fit into such a guise," she responds to Heilan's suggestion. "My armor is of a much higher quality than a typical guard would possess," and indeed, the armor looks as though it were designed for aesthetics rather than protection, "and my plain clothing are not only useless should we get into a fight, but equally unsuited to this." Joan takes a moment to examine Heilan's "merchant's outfit" and shakes her head. "No, I could certainly not pass as a merchant working with you. Perhaps a much more successful merchant who happened to be traveling with you, but such merchants rarely travel, I believe."

Spoiler
    Show
    I'm not at all certain that this is a good idea.
    Last edited by The Dark Fiddler; 2012-07-23 at 09:11 AM.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Rado Luminous

The small man with the stooped shoulders has been silent until now. Taking off his spectacles to clean them, he speaks in a quiet voice: "As we seem to be of one opinion here - or close enough - I suggest we gather what we think might still be needed and then get on our way. Evil doesn't wait for the light to catch it, does it?"

"Do we really need to disguise ourselves? Whoever is out there waiting for us will know us when we close on them, just as we can feel the presence of great evil in our midst."
    Act well before thinking!

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

The swamps it is then,

Heilan starts to ride forward, towards the swamps.
    Doug

Currently GMing :
    Map of Area

26. - Top - End - #26

"Indeed," Joan says, urging her unusual mount forward. "By the way, I don't believe we've had a chance to introduce ourselves, in the commotion, though I do believe that we, at the very least, know each others' names... for the most part," she says, shooting a quick glance at Rado, suspiciously silent up until a few moments ago.

"For those who do not know, I am Joan, from the Sanguerra family, daughter of Norton and Samantha. Furthermore, I was once the great hero John the Slayer in a past life, and my family's diviners have foretold similar feats of heroism for me in this life, so my family has trained me well for this day, when I would set out to help the world in the same of the Shining Light.I haven't had much practical experience, but I hope you find that what I've learned is up to the challenge of protecting our charge." Satisfied with the quick summation of her life, Joan looks around to see who will speak next, but quickly adds "Oh, and this is my trusted friend, Ivory. He was a gift from my father for my twelfth birthday, and he is now my celestial steed."

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

"I do not have any claim to heroic past lives, I grew up a guild rat in the slums of the great capital. However, I can attest that I have already done things worthy of mention. I am Vassikyn Shadowhunter. I commanded a large contingent of forces fighting in the Underdark for about 10 years. You being able to grow up in relative peace was due in no small part to my command of our forces combating the Drow below."
    He looks around nervously.
    "I haven't been up here since I was about your age Joan."

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ettin in the Playground

And so the group of brave adventurers starts off. By seeking the most direct course to their destination, they are to brave the Swamp of Depair, and threats of undead infestation that bar their path. The path ahead is grim, but the worst of it is still far ahead.

As you leave the citadel, and march through the streets of Avandan, there is no fanfare. For this mission, there is not the grand sending off that would befit heroes going to save the world. The lack of any recognition, save from the Lightbringer before you left, is an eerie one. It is clear that there is no joy to this work, only that it must be done. For the sake of the world, the cycle of rebirth must be broken, and to do that, this girl must be found and brought back to the protection the Citadel of Illum offers. Whatever purpose she has, whatever makes her special, it is of utmost import that you protect her from the forces of Shadow.

A chill wind blows as you leave the gates of Avandan. The white-stone walls shine in the morning sun, and the winter snows have not quite melted, though Spring has started in the hills below. The city on a mountain experiences the changes in seasons much different than the world below it. Woe to the foe who tried to assault the Citadel of Illum, for it they ever reached the city in force, they would still have its walls, and the fortress of the Citadel to contend with, not to mention the best of the Servants of the Holy Light.

The air warms, and thickens to a more breathable level once you descend into the lower hills. Still visible against the mountain are the white walls, blending slightly with the melting snows, and the golden Citadel still visible from the foot of the mountain. The villages below are very lively, and many hands go to hearts or knuckle foreheads when they see a procession of Servants coming through the town. These peasants have lived their lives in the shadow of the Citadel, owing much of their livelihood and safety to its occupants. Those who muster the courage to speak all say variations of the same thing: "Holy Light shine on you, brave warriors" or the more formal "May Illum shine on you, good Servants of the Holy Light."

Beyond those villages, the road heads west. This close to the Citadel, all roads are paved with stone, and wide enough for two carts to pass. The traffic here is still fairly heavy, and when you are out of sight of another person, it is not for long. Most make way for a group of Servants, and the few who do not do not cause you any trouble. The day passes without much event, but as the sun nears the horizon, the decision must be made, to stop for the night in a nearby village, press on until the light is gone and camp anywhere, or march through the night, pressing the animals on as far as they can go.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

During the journey Heilan talks of his past and listens to tales of his companions...

.... so there i was, having to hold the doorway against the rust monsters, dressed only in my underpadding and weilding only my bare hands, with the rusted remnants of my weapons and armour bearing mute testamant to the probable fate of my companions should the monsters get passed me....

Stop at the tavern or travel onward to make camp later? Either of those options would suit me, my only recommendation would be that we don't try to keep going through the night, exhausting the horses this early into our quest would be foolish indeed.
    Doug

Currently GMing :
    Map of Area

30. - Top - End - #30
    Dwarf in the Playground

As the group travels, Teene Veritum gives a short talk about her name, her family, their deeds, and her career with the Servants. Afterwards, she listens politely to the others that speak of themselves and their adventures, even though they may seem exaggerated. When the group comes upon the point where a decision must be made, she finally speaks up after the day-long ride.

"Heilan is right. We should not press our horses to their limit, lest we need their speed for something. We have only begun on our journey. As for the other two options, it is not wise to stay in the nearby village. If we were to cavort in some inn, we would lose valuable time. Time that the Shadow would use to prepare their forces against us. So as long as we have light for the day and light for the sentry in the night, we should press on."

Teene fumbles with the last part of her rant, realizing that she was taking a blunt tone with her companions. She quickly adds a short, more respectful, comment.

"We should have more opinions from the people here. We are all Servants and should treat each other as equals."
    Awards
    Spoiler
    Show

Zombie Invasion
    Nexus of the Future