New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 10 of 26 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #271
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Adventures in Sigil - IC - Part III [4E]

Eltain gives a sad smile.

"They certainly do, don't they? Then again, given what I've seen here, I can't say that I blame them for being suspicious of an unannounced winter fey. We aren't all bad, of course, but these days it pays to be cautious." He frowns. "And what do you mean now you know you're not dead?"
    Every time you spell Corellon wrong, Gruumsh gets excited and kills a kitten. Please, think of the kittens.
    Twitter | Google+ | AIM: iankunx | Skype: Nai.Calus | Y!IM: nai_calus
    RIP Eltain Sharma, Chosen of Corellon, and Frank, his faithful Celestial Pegamule. May you find the peace you sought.

2. - Top - End - #272
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

"Guard, you are free to apologize to Lady Printempest's brother-in-law."

Aramil turns to Eltain with a smile and a brief, warm embrace. "Well met! You look like you have a few stories to tell... but it may need to wait. Our impatient guest is Cerzei, who has agreed to trade information on an attack on Senaliesse for safe haven. We were almost about to leave for Sigil."

3. - Top - End - #273
    Ogre in the Playground

Eltain gives the guards an apologetic grin. "No hard feelings." He gleefully returns the hug and rushes to embrace the rest of the group.

"Indeed I do, and unlike half the stories I've heard about myself, the ones you'll get from me are true. And I've heard so much about you all, but I'm sure you have some to tell too, and the true versions at that. But no, not the time. An attack on Senaliesse? My intelligence hasn't heard anythi-" His eyes widen as he realizes what the implication is. "The drow. Of course." He sighs. "It's just as I said back then to the court... While we fight within, our enemies without attack us in our weakness. I don't even feel any satisfaction over being able to say 'I told you so'."

"But enough of that. This has to be stopped. Toveliss and Nyissa will be able to lead the Snowflower Order just fine without me for now. It seems I've arrived just in time, then." He frowns.

"Though I suppose I should tell you why I'm here. I've come to seek your aid, and to deliver information we've been able to get our hands on. I need Lucan's help specifically, I think I've found a way we might be able to weaken or even win over the Prince of Frost, but Lucan has the connections and the bardic ability to do it. You may get to fulfill your prophecy yet, Lucan." He grins.

"As for the information I've brought, I'd rather discuss that in private. It's better that as few people as possible know we have it." He blinks and looks more closely at Pavick, chuckling softly.

"I must say the pink eyebrows suit you."
    Last edited by Nai_Calus; 2012-06-20 at 10:01 PM.
    Every time you spell Corellon wrong, Gruumsh gets excited and kills a kitten. Please, think of the kittens.
    RIP Eltain Sharma, Chosen of Corellon, and Frank, his faithful Celestial Pegamule. May you find the peace you sought.

4. - Top - End - #274
    Ogre in the Playground

Lucan - Half-elf bard

"Eltain!" Lucan says, as he receives the half-eladrin's hug. "It's great to see you again. Why are you dressed as a priest? Did you become a priest? Can you heal more now? And what do you mean by prophecy? What prophecy?" Lena twitters something in Lucan's ear. "Oh, that prophecy. I'd kind of forgotten about that."
    Last edited by DSCrankshaw; 2012-06-20 at 10:33 PM.

5. - Top - End - #275
    Ogre in the Playground

Eltain chuckles.

"Well technically I've always been a priest, Paladins are part of the clergy; Clerics are just a certain type of priest, just like Paladins are. I usually dress like this when I'm not expecting battle these days, much more comfortable. Though yes, I have been performing official priestly duties lately." He smiles. "Yes, that prophecy, heh. No worries. Fate is what you make of it anyway." He extends a finger for Lena to shake, though his face pales when he sees the missing chunk of her wing.

6. - Top - End - #276
    Ogre in the Playground

ClericGuy

Pavick - Gnome Wizard

Pavick returns Eltain's hug with a big grin on his face. "It's good to see you again, but I am offended. Since when have you ever known me to give you the true version of any story!" His grin gets even bigger.

"Wait... What?" He quickly summons a hand-held mirror from nothing and examines his face carefully. "Why didn't anyone tell me? How long have they been like that?" Pavick runs a finger over each of his eyebrows and they return to their natural color. "No matter. Fixed now."

"I suppose you're right though. We should get somewhere a little more private to talk. We should probably take care of her though first," he indicates Cerzei (whose whining and prattling he's been mostly ignoring).

7. - Top - End - #277
    Ogre in the Playground

Eltain chuckles. "Oh, I've seen you tell the truth once or twice." He smirks and winks at the gnome. "But don't worry, I won't tell anyone else about it. Your reputation is safe with me." He turns to Cerzei.

"Ah, forgive my rudeness. I'm Eltain Sharma. Yes, we should definitely get down to business. To Sigil, then?"

8. - Top - End - #278
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

DM Post

The guard quickly fumbles over an apology to Eltain, before returning to his post.

The blindfolded priestess turns her head towards Eltain, but doesn't extend a hand. She stares at him a moment through the blindfold before nodding. "I agree. Anywhere to get away from this odd...openness." She motions vaguely towards the sky,and squirms uncomfortably.

The rocky face of the Shepherd widens, and a stony hand comes up to scratch where a beard used to be. "Hmm...the flock is together again. Welcome Elta-" the Shepherd cuts off, and tilts his head to the side thoughtfully as if listening. The smile that had broken the stone vanishes, and the Shepherd's voice drops to a low rumble. "I am sorry, but I must again break the flock. I have a bargain I must keep."

The Shepherd gives a low bow to everyone, and takes a moment to place a rocky hand on Pavick's head. "Maybe one day your luck will bring us back together." With one final bow, the Shepherd turns and slowly walks across the field to the burnt tree line. Moments later, you catch the brief glimpse of a small hut on chicken legs running through the trees on a distant mountain.

And like that, the Shepherd was gone.

Ian, who had slipped away briefly, taps Aramil on the shoulder. "My lord, the millenium falcon eggs you require, for the portal to Sigil." He hands Aramil a small basket of eggs, and motions towards the forest that Aramil and Eltain had once journeyed to long ago after receiving a message from Lucan.

9. - Top - End - #279
    Ogre in the Playground

"Shep, what?" Eltain looks troubled, even more so when he catches a glimpse of the hut after the Shepherd has gone. "Take care of yourself! You'd better come back! I've missed you too much to give up on you now," he calls after the departing goliath. "Someone want to explain to me what that was about? I've missed more than a few things, apparently." He sighs sadly, glad to have at least made it back in time to see the Shepherd again before the man left. A bit of a smile returns to his face when Iain comes in and mentions the Millennium Falcon eggs.

"I wonder how Ol'ben is doing... Maybe we should visit him on the way to the portal. I could stand some cheering madness right now."

10. - Top - End - #280
    Bugbear in the Playground

Oklahoma, where the air elementals carry brooms

"His new boss is the Baba Yaga." Zyrr explains casually. "It's been an odd year. He should be fine, I doubt she eats her employees, just as a matter of principle. Now let's move on so somebody can tell me what happened while I was gone." He glances sidelong to Eltain. "I was dead, by the way. I don't know how long, but it was up until..... about ten minutes ago."

11. - Top - End - #281
    Ogre in the Playground

Eltain pales at the mention of the Baba Yaga, suddenly even more worried for the goliath, though recalling that the Baba Yaga had seemed fascinated by him, he relaxes a little.

"That's unfortunate, but... Well, if anyone can make it through being around her, it's him." He smiles fondly, though the smile is almost immediately replaced by a look of wide-eyed shock at Zyrr's next words.

"You..." Eltain fumbles for words, sputtering awkwardly for several seconds before finally regaining control. "...Are you alright? I hope it wasn't too horrible. If you want to talk about it, I'm here. We can talk in private if you want." He takes the drow's hand gently and gives it a reassuring squeeze. "I've become sadly all too used to dealing with death the last year. So many lives lost..." He sighs. "I won't let it happen again, Zyrr. Not you, not any of you." He looks around at the others, grim determination on his face.

"Now, let's get ourselves to Sigil so we can all get caught up."

12. - Top - End - #282
    Ogre in the Playground

ClericGuy

Pavick - Gnome Wizard

Pavick watched as shep walked away, too stunned to talk at first. When the Shepherd was half-way across the field, Pavick finally responded. He waved a hand lamely. "Bye big guy," he shouted, "Come back when you can and you'd better take care of yourself as well as you've always taken care of me and your goats!"

He turned back to the rest of the group, listening quietly until Zyrr stated he didn't know how long he'd been dead. "It really hasn't been very long. Well over half the time you were gone was actually spent working the ritual to bring you back. Let's see, we'll call it 8 hours for the ritual, and less than an hour beyond that," Pavick said. As he spoke, Slick had wormed his way out of his sleeve, for a lazy slither working his way around and between the fingers on Pavick's left hand.

"After you distracted one of the drider's, thanks for that by the way, I was in real trouble there. If you hadn't done that it probably would have been me dead instead of you. So, uh, thank you." Pavick quickly wiped his sleeve across his face so that no one could see the tear that was forming. He continued talking quickly, trying to cover up his little bout of emotion with a torrent of information.

"After you distracted the one, I talked my way past the other and went in the cottage to talk to Cerzei." He glanced over to Cerzei, knowing she'd probably correct him on any grand tales, he decided to keep it truthful for now. "I convinced her to trade information on the drow's military plans for her freedom. You'd have to ask the others about what exactly went on outside. When I left to tell the others I found out you..." his voice dies off.

He clears his throat and continues. "We had to fight past a large patrol of guards. What were there? Two dozen or three? Oh and a monstrous drider the size of the woman's cottage itself, I didn't know they made them that big. Fangs dripping with poison..." He continues the tale of the grand battle that ensued as the group began the walk toward the Sigil gate. As he walked and talked, he threw up tiny flashes of arcane energy next to each obstacle, hoping they would allow the blind seer to navigate herself between the mundane obstacles more easily.

As the group approached the gate, Pavick wraps up his story, "And then I opened a teleportation circle in the oracle's ravaged hut, set it alight with a drow corpse inside and teleported here. Once we got here, we wasted no time in getting you back on your feet again."

"So are we ready to go through the gate? I believe you've got the eggs Aramil."

13. - Top - End - #283
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

"Yes, here you are." Aramil hands an egg to each person in the group.

"Now, if you haven't used this gate before, you need to break the egg, and while carrying it pass between those two trees." He points to two silver beech trees, which somehow are the only trees in the grove without any kind of thorny vine crawling over them.

14. - Top - End - #284
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

DM Post

Journeying near to the forest, you pass by the small hut that used to belong to olben looks abandoned, and most of the forest around it didn't survive the attack on the Printempest estate. There's no sign of olben himself, but who knows when he may show up again? (dun dun dunnnn)

---------------

The journey to Sigil is jarring, as usual, and the stink and grey drizzle of the city is a far cry from the colors and scents of the feywild. The usual odd assortment of creatures crowded in the city, but there seemed to be an edge and a tension in the air that you hadn't really noticed before. The streets are as packed as they ever were, but it still feels different from the last time you were here.

Streetwise or Insight DC 24
    Spoiler
    Show
    There seems to be an unusually high number of elemental creatures in Sigil. Efreets, Azurs, Genasi, etc.

Journeying the familiar twisting streets back to the Inn of the Lady's Favor, Edgren greets you. "Ah, back already? Excellent. Did you manage to-" He stops, and glances around the filled common room at the many listening ears. "One moment, while I get the back room cleared out for you." He motions to the two half-ogre bouncers, and moments later a small group of loudly complaining Kenku are ushered out of the inn.

Once you've gotten a measure of privacy, Edgren gives an awkward pat on the back to Lucan. "Glad to see you're ok. That drow Corellite you're friends with was here a few hours ago, asking if I knew what had happened to you. She said she'd tried to send a message to Zyrr, but something went wrong and wanted to know if I'd heard anything."

At the mention of a "Drow Corellite," Cerzei gives an open sneer. "Please tell me you don't associate with the Heretic? Coming with you was dangerous enough as it is, but if the clergy think I'm with her, I may as well sell my soul to Glaysa now and get it over with."

15. - Top - End - #285
    Ogre in the Playground

Lucan -Half-elf bard

Lucan's still thinking about what he's seen on the street. "Do you think there's a convention? It seems like there are a lot of people from the Elemental Chaos here," he says to no one in particular.

16. - Top - End - #286
    Ogre in the Playground

Eltain looks at Edgren, then at Lucan, then back to Edgren.

"Ahh, you must be Lucan's father. So they did at least keep their end of the bargain. I'm almost surprised." He chuckles and claps Lucan on the back. "I'm happy for you, Lucan. Family really is a wonderful thing to have. Having Toveliss with me this last year..." He smiles warmly.

The smile he gives when Cerzei refers to Eilistraee as 'The Heretic' is an entirely different one, ironic and amused.

"Heretic? No, Eilistraee is far from a heretic. I know for a fact that her message of redemption and freedom from the slavery of the Underdark and Lolth is not a false one, or I myself would no longer bear any trace of power." He takes Cerzei's hand gently.

"We are all Corellon's children. And he loves his children. All of them. I've been a member of the Order of the Azure Star for years now, and indeed, many have branded me and the rest of the Order as heretics. But it is not heresy. Even as I openly associate with and help drow, even as I have looked in the Underdark itself for those who might be saved, Corellon still grants me his power, still provides me with his support. When my self-doubt caused me to lose my ability to use the divine magic I had wielded all my life, he filled me with arcane magic instead and sent signs of his support to me." He smiles.

"There is no heresy in her words, nor in mine. Perhaps it is dangerous for you, but we will protect you, and perhaps with us you can see the peace and love that Corellon offers you, if only you will listen to his call."

Eltain nods when Lucan speaks.

"I'd noticed that myself... I haven't spent nearly as much time as you have here, Lucan, but there's definitely something off in the mood of the city from what I saw on the way here. Something is up. I wonder if it has anything to do with the information I've brought?"
    Last edited by Nai_Calus; 2012-06-24 at 05:31 PM.

17. - Top - End - #287
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

DM Post

Cerzei gives an awkward smile to Eltain, as she extracts her hand from his. "Ah...ok. I'll ...keep an ear open for that call."

Edgren had paused to think when Lucan spoke, and nods as Eltain confirms it. "Huh...I guess there have been more of the elemental types. Odd. I guess they're fleeing from the war, but you can never really tell with those type. Too unpredictable."

18. - Top - End - #288
    Ogre in the Playground

Lucan - Half-elf bard

"What information?" Lucan asks. "And what does the war have to do with it? I wouldn't think the war in the Feywild would have much effect on the Elemental Chaos."

19. - Top - End - #289
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

DM Post

Edgren shakes his head. "No, not the feywild war, the other one, in the Abyss." He shakes his head "It's all anyone has been talking about the last few days. Don't know how you didn't hear about it. What, were you underground or something?" There's a brief pause. "Oh. Well yeah, I guess you were."

Lucan's father shrugs. "I don't know all the details, but rumors have been pouring in about a war in the Abyss. Apparently, the demons are at each others throats. I don't really know the details."

20. - Top - End - #290

"That short, eh?" Zyrr is baffled at the gnome's description of the time frame and events since his death. "That's easily been the longest nine hours of my life - er, existence. ...You're welcome, by the way. I don't regret doing it, but" As the drow looks down at Pavick, the centers of his eyes darken and a harrowed expression forms on the upper half of his face. "I can't say for sure I'd do it again."

---

Once Zyrr enters the portal, he quickly locates the location of the portal he took during his first visit to Sigil, with its constant, steady trickle of people. At least there's something steady about the City of Doors.

Once Eltain has had his say with Cerzei, Zyrr chuckles and walks a circle around the blind woman. "Besides, if you seriously consider Eilistraee's stance heresy, you clearly haven't seen Lolth's realm." He pauses, and points two fingers at his eyes. "What am I saying? Of course you haven't!" He allows himself one more Ha! before pivoting to talk to the priestess face-to-face. "I don't know if it's occurred to you, but you're a mortal with no working eyes in the service of a goddess with eight. Once you die you'll be a mighty high priestess when you arrive, but it'll just be two Prime seconds before you're knocked down to an eternity at the bottom of the spider-dung heap. So get real, Princess. You're already forsaken in the eyes of Lolth's clergy, you just don't know it yet. And this heretic might be the only shot you have at a decent afterlife."

The drow's uncharacteristic sneer vanishes as he turns to Edgren. "Thanks for passing word along. I'll stop by when I can." he replies with a pleasant smile.

21. - Top - End - #291
    Ogre in the Playground

Eltain's eyes widen in surprise when Zyrr lectures Cerzei on the horrors of Lolth's afterlife, and a smile breaks out on his face as he excitedly claps Zyrr's hands and pulls the drow in close to him.

"Oh Zyrr, it's so wonderful to hear you speak like that!" His face and voice take on a gentle, serious tone. "He loves you too, you know. I know he's been watching you, just as I have, and I know that he's seen what I have seen in you and the progress you've made. And I know that he loves you as much as I do. I think you've already begun to see that there's a better way, a better place. And I think you already know where it is. Listen in your heart for his voice, Zyrr. I'm not saying you have to convert right here and now with me, but when you're ready, he'll be waiting for you." Eltain grins.

"I can teach you about him if you'd like to learn. I want you to understand, and I want you to make your own choice in your own time. And yes, we should definitely visit Eilistraee. We've been communicating through letters this past year, but it's been a while since I've seen her. She can help you, too." He hugs the drow and turns back to Edgren.

"War in the Abyss? That's news to me... Kind of worrying, but at the same time... Well, if they want to sit there and slaughter each other, honestly, they can for now, though we'll have to do something about it eventually. But no, Lucan is right. This does concern the war in the Feywild." He eyes Cerzei. "Let's get her to safety and get her information first. Mine is going to have to wait to be acted on if the drow are mobilizing against Senallise."

22. - Top - End - #292
    Ogre in the Playground

ClericGuy

Pavick - Gnome Wizard

Pavick sighs. "Honestly, you turn your back for five minutes and all Hell breaks loose. Well, all Abyss breaks loose, but that doesn't really have the right ring to it. I'm pretty sure that at least some of the denizens of the Nine Hells have something to do with this anyway, and I there's also a nagging feeling that we've played a role too. I guess you're right, Eltain, we'll have to do something, but for now we need to worry more about Senallise."

He turns to Cerzei, "Alright, we broke you out and brought you somewhere relatively safe to make a new start of things. So spill it. We need all the details you know."

23. - Top - End - #293
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

DM Post

Edgren steps outside the room, and stands watch by the door as Cerzei takes a seat. The drow woman shrugs. "What did you expect? The Feylords declare war on one another and slaughter each other by the thousands, and the rest of the worlds would simply watch and say 'Oh, that's interesting...'" She gives a smirk. "Paper?" She asks as a question, but it's clear she's used to giving commands. Once some parchment has been brought to her, she sketches out a rough outline of the Feywild.

Your armies are split. Half of the Spring and Summer forces are here, laying siege to the Vale of Long Night..." She pauses, and looks up. "Which reminds me, the first thing the drow will do after your lands are conquered is get rid of the ridiculous names you people seem to have..." She gives another smirk, chuckling to herself, and continues drawing. The other half of your army is held up here, keeping the Winter and Green armies from advancing across the Planes of Echoing Thunder, she pauses to give another smirk about the names, "And breaking the siege."

Here, she pauses, and thinks for a moment before continuing. The only other armies of note are the Gloaming, and they're too busy fighting amongst themselves; and the armies of the goblin king." She tries not to stifle a laugh. "And we've found the goblins in the feywild to be as useful as the goblins in the underdark."

She points to an open spot in the Planes of Echoing Thunder. "The drow armies will come up here, destroy the Spring and Summer armies from behind, then march on Selienesse. The Winter and Green armies will return to the vale of the long night and trap the remainder of the Spring and Summer armies. By the time that battle is finished, we'll have taken Selienesse, Cendriane, and Fathagn. The drow armies will march back, and crush the remainder of the winter armies who will be too occupied with the goblin armies from Nachtur."

She gives a smile. "And that is how the drow will take the Feywild. Now, if you don't mind, I was promised safety and lodging. What rooms have you prepared for me?"

OOC: If anyone needs a reminder, here's a map of the Feywild:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Last edited by Hzurr; 2012-06-26 at 11:02 PM.

24. - Top - End - #294

Zyrr tenses up as Eltain grabs his hand, and again when he is pulled in for a full-body hug. Yup, the boy's definitely gotten stronger in the past year. Once the big man lets him go, dark hands smooth out his clothes. "Yeah... Let's go with later. I've just cut ties with one deity whose followers mostly want me dead. I'm not about to leap into the arms of another so soon."

Once Cerzei finishes her explanation of the battle plans, those who look can see a giddy smile on Zyrr's face. "Sorry, I just can't help but feel incredibly proud right now. Beautiful, simply beautiful." He leans in over the map. "Now I see a few possibilities for how to join the dance. The first, of course, is sending a warning to have forces lying in wait at the drow entry point. But that's assuming we have somebody here your generals will listen to. A better option would be to have a small band...." his eyes sweep the room as he says this, "infiltrate the Vale of Long Name and end the seige to free up the army proper. But that's just a drow's opinion."

25. - Top - End - #295
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

DM Post

At this point, Cerzei stands and begins moving towards the door. "Well then, in that case I'll leave you to it. I have no interest in helping you win your war, and if you don't mind I'd rather prefer being as far away from all you people as possible."

OOC: Zyrr, could I get a Wisdom check?

26. - Top - End - #296

Wisdom - (1d20+7)[20]

(Additional text to fill out minimum message length)

27. - Top - End - #297
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

DM Post

As Zyrr looks at the map, he gets a nagging sensation in the back of his mind that he's forgotten something, but he can't quite place his finger on it.

28. - Top - End - #298
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Aramil smirks. "Of course. Once you give Pavick the sigils to the portal, Zyrr and Eltain can show you to the safehouse."

By "safehouse" he means "safehouse run by the church of Corellon for keeping Drow converts."

29. - Top - End - #299
    Ogre in the Playground

Eltain nods in understanding at Zyrr's rejection.

"That's perfectly understandable. Just remember we're not all that way, and I have been working this last year to help change that a little. But yes, you need time to think and recover and learn. As I said, I'm here when you need me." Eltain grins.

His face turns even paler than usual and a light snow forms around him as Cerzei lays out the plans and he listens to Zyrr's ideas.

"Vale of the Long Name, eh? I don't know, some of the drow city names I've heard..." Eltain chuckles, then turns serious.

"I... This is horrible. I don't even get any satisfaction out of being able to say 'I told you so'. Well, none of those people are here anyway, so..." He frowns.

"I have a great many contacts in the Winter Lands, naturally. I don't know how much you've heard of what I've been working at, but after I went there I started a rebellion to reform the church and help the populace realize the evils of their leaders and work against them. We call ourselves the Snowflower Order. We've actually been fairly successful, though there's still so, so much work to be done..." He sighs and his voice turns sad as he droops slightly.

"I'd wanted to found a temple before, you know. But I'd always thought it would be in the open in Fallcrest, not... Not hidden less than a day from the one I was raised in. Some temples we've retaken, but alas, I've failed to be able to restore my own home..." He shakes his head, breaking from his reverie.

"Anyway, if we do infiltrate the Vale of the Long Night, I've got allies there that can help us get into the area. Also quite a massive laundry list of enemies, but." He pauses. "This will sound mad, but... I think our best source of allies here might be the Winter Court." He frowns. "I've heard that the Prince of Frost is, while obviously cruel and rather evil, at least an Archfey of principle and some degree of honor, and his ambitions are clear. If we can bring this to his attention, and point out that divided we're sitting ducks for the drow, perhaps we can obtain the Winter Court's help and unite at least long enough to drive back the threat. Perhaps the two sides then would even finally see how pointless it is for us to fight..." His voice takes on a dreamy, excited quality at the end, making it obvious what his dreams are currently.

"Getting to him might be a problem, if we can't get a servant to act as an intermediary, but there might just be a way around that..."

30. - Top - End - #300
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

DM Post

OOC: Could I get history & insight checks from Eltain?