New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 12 of 26 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202122 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #331
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Default Re: Adventures in Sigil - IC - Part III [4E]

"Hold up a moment. You said you slay demons? We could use someone with that kind of experience, since venturing into the Elemental Chaos looks to be our best move for now, and it's not clear to us what's going on down there."

2. - Top - End - #332
    Ogre in the Playground

ClericGuy

Pavick - Gnome Wizard

Pavick sits quietly as the others discuss what to do. He produced a deck of cards from one of the pockets of his robe and began idly shuffling through them, while listening to the conversation.

"So a trip to the chaos is next then? I have to agree, in this instance it is probably our best bet. Still not knowing what is going on there has me a little nervous." He turns to Lucan, "Perhaps you can head out into the city again and see if you can dig up any new information? You know this city better than any of us, and I'm sure you can find whatever is out there. While he does that, Aramil and I can work on getting a message sent to everyone that needs to know about the drow problem."

3. - Top - End - #333
    Ogre in the Playground

Lucan - Half-elf bard

Lucan, glad to finally have something to do, readily agrees to asking some questions. He visits his favorite haunts, and a few places he'd normally avoid, looking for information on the situation in the Elemental Chaos.

Spoiler
    Show

Streetwise - (1d20+18)[19]

4. - Top - End - #334
    Bugbear in the Playground

Planetar

Noticing that everyone is leaving and his plan, for now, is "on ice", Asheroth leaves to garner more info to help out the party in the Elemental Chaos. Specifically, why all the demons are gone, and to where have they gone? Wouldn't want to run into a pack of angry demons on our way through their home.

Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20+19)[39]
    Connected feat (1d20+19)[22]
    "How could a man go through life with so little? Nothing of permanence, nothing built up to leave behind him. Nothing to testify to his existence at all. The kind of man who isn't focused on his own existence, I guess. The kind of man who cares more about others than he does himself..."--Harry Dresden, from Ghost Story

Nosce te ipsum

5. - Top - End - #335
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

DM Post

-------------Asheroth & Lucan-----------------

Asheroth and Lucan head out into the chaos of Sigil, and quickly begin scouring the streets for information. When Lucan visits a few of the inns and darker quarters of Sigil, he soon remembers why he had previously avoided them. A cabal of Tiamat cultists soon corner the bard, wanting to know the details of his "involvement" with the church of Bahamut in the feywild. Only a well placed lie, and a distraction provided by Lena, and a small fire started by Asheroth gives Lucan the chance to slip away unscathed.

After that rather odd encounter, Asheroth spies a genasi named Dapknih sneaking down a backalley. Dapknih was a lowly, weaselly water-genasi, yet Asheroth knows from experience that he tends to have uncannily reliable information. Lucan and Asheroth quickly slip into the ol' Good Town Guard / Bad Town Guard routine, and before long Dapknih is spilling everything he knows to Lucan, while looking fearfully at the flames in Asheroth's hands.

"Look, come'on guys, you've gotta believe me, I don't know too much, I just hear things, yeah?" The genasi eyes the steam starting to rise from his arm as Asheroth draws closer, and Lucan gives a shrug as if to say "I can't stop him unless you give me something."

"Gah! Ok, ok, ok. So here's what I've heard. Graz'zt, the demon prince, you've heard of him right? He's...tame, for a demon, and doesn't go for quite as much carnage as the others. Dunno why. Anyway, it looks like he's either lost it, or he's making his move. He declared an all out war on the other demon lords, and I do mean all of 'em. Orcus, Demogorgon, Yeenoghu, the whole lot. The Abyss is tearing itself apart." He pauses, and gives a nervous, nasally laugh. "Well, more than usual. Every demon across the planes are being called back for the fight, and everyone is just a bit...jumpy that it could spill out into the rest of the Elemental Chaos. But that's all I know!"

Asheroth, sensing that the little coward might still be holding something back, brings the flame just a bit closer. "Are you sure?"

"Well...there is one other thing, but this information comes from half-demons, so I don't know how reliable it is. Apparently, after Graz'zt gave the order to go to war, he kicked every single demon out of his layer of the Abyss, I don't know which one I can never keep track of those things, but since then no one has seen him and none of the other demons can even get into that layer, not even his own lieutenants!"

-------------------- Eltain & Zyrr -----------------------

Eltain and Zyrr stroll through the streets of Sigil mostly without incident (except for a few bladelings preaching about the need to maintain racial segregation in the upper planes), and eventually arrive back at the temple district. As you approach the familiar temple of Corellon, something catches your eye.

Next to the large marble building, a smaller stone structure has been erected, with a blue eight-pointed star embossed on the door frame, the symbol of the Order of the Azure star.

Stepping through the door, you find that the building is one large room, with a dome painted like the night-sky overhead, filled with stars and a half-moon. The room is filled with a number of Drow, Eladrin, elves, humans, and even a pair of kobolds. Several of the faces look familiar to the pair. Eltain recognizes some of the Eladrin as members of the clergy in the winter court that have helped him in his rebellion, and several of the Drow are those brought back on some of Zyrr's raids with the 'Jammer.

From across the room, Eilistraee spies the two of you enter, and a smile spreads across her face. "Well, it's a relief to see the pair of you. I assumed the worst after my sending spell to Zyrr failed. I was just getting ready to contact you, Eltain, but was worried what the implications would be if that failed as well." She pauses, and gestures to the building around her. "Well, what do you think of our new shrine? You two are largely responsible for it."

-------------- Aramil and Pavick-----------------

OOC: Pavick mentioned trying to get in contact with those who need to know about a "drow problem." Who specifically are you going to get in touch with. Is there anything else in particular either of you wants to do while you're in Sigil?
    Last edited by Hzurr; 2012-07-06 at 01:26 PM.

6. - Top - End - #336

Planetar

"Oh...this is bad. This is really bad." Asheroth says as he and Lucan continue walking through the alleys of Sigil. "That has to be the reason why all the demons have gone missing! They're being called back to the Abyss to fight Graz'zt! Our journey there might be fraught with more danger than Eltain and Aramil first thought. But why now? Why would-" He stops mid-stride and turns to Lucan. "Besides the incubus have you had any contact or dealings with any other fel creatures? Demons, devils, abberations?"

Asheroth puts his fists to his temples trying to remember something from his past. Something his father may have told him about some ancient artifact. It was on the edge of this consciousness.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Arcana (1d20+16)[22]
    History (1d20+18)[26]

"Anyway, we should head over to Lu's. She might know something. Then we should check out the Clerk's Ward and the brainiacs over there. They may be able to shed some light on this ice wall the "Ice Queen" has."
    Last edited by Orsik Vondal; 2012-07-06 at 02:26 PM.
    "How could a man go through life with so little? Nothing of permanence, nothing built up to leave behind him. Nothing to testify to his existence at all. The kind of man who isn't focused on his own existence, I guess. The kind of man who cares more about others than he does himself..."--Harry Dresden, from Ghost Story

Nosce te ipsum

7. - Top - End - #337

Oklahoma, where the air elementals carry brooms

Zyrr removes his mask but says nothing for a moment.

"I heard a man telling his friends in a bar once, about a time he died in battle defending his home city. I forget the name of the place, Deepwater or something like that. Anyway, he said that he was brought back a few days later by some priest, and remembered the entirety of what happened while he was dead. He found himself in some beautiful garden with this busty tavern wench he'd had a fling with a year ago and never forgot. She told him she'd died in the first assault on the city, but they were meant for each other and she would wait for him. After this lovely two-minute-long conversation and a few impure thoughts on the many ways he might while away eternity with her, he came back to life." The drow inclines his head toward Eltain and looks up from below his eyebrows. "You can imagine his feelings when he found out how much more time he spent dead than he experienced."

Zyrr's eyes drift away, toward the infinite sprawl of Sigil. "When we die, the gods we fall under like to play with our sense of time. For him, his god shortened things up to give him just a taste of what a life of loyalty would reward him with at its end. For me..... Lolth decided to make my death count. Apparently I was dead for a few hours. I experienced death for a few months, more or less. I didn't have the luxury of a calendar or even a light spire to count the days. What I did have was what is on me right now. That was the constant. Other than that, it was months of random terrain, random zealots trying to kill me, use me, or both, random chaos interrupted with visions of you and everyone else I know dying horribly. So it was a nice spiral between people I could trust to die shortly and beings that saw me as a stepping stone up the Demonweb Pit's ladder of power. Not a place I want to go back to, until I can do so on my own terms."

---

Upon seeing the smaller temple, Zyrr's grin is counterbalanced by a nonchalant shrug. "Just when I'd gotten the main temple's guards trained not to draw their swords as soon as they see me."

His grin can't help but go wider when he sees Eilistraee, looking as much in her element as Eltain in his robes. "It looks lovely, the first thing a drow sees when he first comes to the surface. But I'd recommend natural stone instead of this lovely tile here." He taps his foot on the offending surface pointedly. "It's what we grew up on, and I think they'd appreciate a little familiar ground here. Oh, and sorry I didn't get your sending, that must have been when I was dead. No big deal."

8. - Top - End - #338
    Ogre in the Playground

ClericGuy

Pavick - Gnome Wizard

Once the most of the others have departed, Pavick pulls out a roll of parchment and a quill whose feather is larger than he is from his bag. He then uncorks a small vial of ink placing it too on the table before him. He carefully inks the quill then begins to write down his thoughts as he discusses them with Aramil. "The first question is, who do we need to inform of recent goings on. Your sister seems like a given. Probably her husband as well. How much further do we reach out? Other current allies? Current enemies as a show of good faith? I'm afraid we may need their help too to hold off the drow. There are plenty of people out there, like the house of flowers, who would be willing to put current hostilites on hold to fend off the drow. But there are probably a number who would seek to use this situation to their advantage as well. You've got the best mind for strategy and the best understanding of fey politics."

"Then there is the question of what to reveal. Of course it can and probably should be different things to different people."

9. - Top - End - #339
    Ogre in the Playground

Lucan - Half-elf bard

Well . . ." Lucan begins, before Lena twitters something in his ear. "Of course I won't tell him that. So there was this contract with a succubus, but apparently I can't go into details."
    Last edited by DSCrankshaw; 2012-07-07 at 07:33 AM.

10. - Top - End - #340
    Ogre in the Playground

Eltain smiles as Zyrr removes his mask and he can finally see his friend's face again, but the smile fades as he sees how quiet the drow has become, and by the time Zyrr has finished his explanation, a look of horror has appeared on his face.

"Oh, Zyrr," he says, wrapping his arms tightly around the smaller drow and pulling him in for a close hug, stroking his hair comfortingly.

"That's not a place you want to go back to at all, unless those terms of yours include going while you're alive to do something about it, which is a terrible idea but you know I'll go with you if you do. Someone has to look after you." He smiles.

"I can't say that I've been dead, or even that I've found the time to go visit Arvandor, I've been busy in the Winter Lands and with the war, but... Corellon isn't like that, Zyrr. He would never make you suffer so, and you know from Eilistraee and myself that his followers aren't like Lolth's. Just... Consider that, for me, OK? Corellon loves you, Zyrr, just as I do." He gently places a hand on the drow's shoulder. "I never want you to have to go through anything like that again. I know you want to believe she's not really like what the tales say, but given what you've been through... Well, you know where else you can turn if you find it in your heart to do so."

"And that's much better without the mask. Also a bit less conspicu-" He breaks off as he looks down at his ornate robes, shiny hair, rather distinctive cloak, the occasional drift of snow around him, and a certain winged mule. "...Not that I've got any room to talk about looking conspicuous." He smirks.

As the pair approaches the temple, Eltain's eyes go wide in surprise as he spots the smaller shrine and fill with tears. He dismounts from Frank and walks forward in wonder, a look of joy on his face.

"Oh, Zyrr. Look at it." He grins. "How many times have I hoped to see just this someday...?" He stares at the building for a few moments in silence, simply smiling, before finally going in. He nods and waves to the familiar faces and smiles at the unfamiliar ones. The Kobolds bring a fresh grin to his face. The beauty and inspiration brought by Corellon was for all races, after all, not just the fey. A young male drow bumps into him and Zyrr notices immediately that the pouch Eltain had put the encoded message into is missing afterwards. Quite a good thief, that one.

"Eilistraee! It's so good to see you again!" He smiles. "Yes, unfortunately Zyrr had a little run-in with the afterlife. I wasn't there to protect him, sadly. You know, Zyrr, I can't leave you lot alone for a minute without you going and getting yourselves in trouble." He chuckles and looks around the shrine.

"It's glorious. Would that it could be within the temple proper, but it gladdens my heart so much to see this! For far too long the Order has operated in silence and darkness. It's far past time we came into the very light we promote and let the worlds know our message. It's so wonderful, Eilistraee! Finally for the first time, the Order operating in the open!" He grins and gives the priestess a quick hug. "I'm glad that I've been able to help inspire this place. If you need anything from me, don't hesitate to ask."

There's a muffled cry, then, and the drow from earlier runs over, a wide-eyed look on his face. Much like Eltain, he bears a tattoo of an eight-pointed star on his cheek. He hands Eltain back the pouch he'd taken and hands the note to Eilistraee.

"This is serious, Lady," he says, addressing Eilistraee. Eltain nods in agreement.

"I'm afraid so. Heh, I didn't expect to find the Order working so openly here, or to find that you'd joined it. Well, obviously you know my contact Veldrin, then. Zyrr, this is Veldrin Auzkovyn, another member of the Order. He was leading a group stationed here in Sigil that had infiltrated the Lolthite temple." The younger drow gives a dramatic bow and grins.

"I've heard a lot about you, Captain. I don't believe half of it, but the stories are great fun. It's a pleasure to meet you. You're a great inspiration to all of us. Unfortunately, Eltain, our cover got blown. Karvetz didn't make it, I'm afraid. We've joined the open movement since then."

Eltain nods sadly and squeezes the drow's shoulder and turns serious as he faces back to Eilistraee.

"As you two can see, the drow are beginning to move, planning to assault Senialesse while the war between the fey courts keeps the surface-dwellers distracted. I don't really need to go into what a disaster that would be, or how badly it would set back our efforts." He frowns. "We need a better idea of what's going on, and unfortunately neither I nor my companions are exactly the best spies to go find out details. I'm certain with our resources we can find people who will be. We need a timeline, plans... This can't be allowed to go unopposed." he sighs.

"It's the one situation that would stop the war and get the courts to unite, which is exactly why we need more details. Something about that just really bothers me. It'd be easy to take care of it that way. Too easy, and the drow would have thought about that. There's something up here and we need to find out what it is." He pauses. "Ah, yes, we found out about this from a drow priestess the others had gotten their hands on in exchange for getting her some place safer. It would be wise to assign someone to guard her."

Spoiler
    Show

(OOC: Have a random NPC. The original way I was going to have Eltain get in contact with the Order was via being pickpocketed by this guy as a way of passing on messages without actively passing on messages.
    Last edited by Nai_Calus; 2012-07-07 at 07:35 AM.
    Every time you spell Corellon wrong, Gruumsh gets excited and kills a kitten. Please, think of the kittens.
    Twitter | Google+ | AIM: iankunx | Skype: Nai.Calus | Y!IM: nai_calus
    RIP Eltain Sharma, Chosen of Corellon, and Frank, his faithful Celestial Pegamule. May you find the peace you sought.

11. - Top - End - #341
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

DM Post

---------------Aramil & Pavick-------------

OOC: Could I get a perception check from both of you?

----------------- Lucan and Asheroth ------------

OOC: Feel free your conversation, but I'll continue assuming you're going to see Alluvius

Asheroth and Lucan make their way through the twisting streets of sigil to the Market ward, through the throngs of the Grand Baazar (where several of the elemental visitors are frustrated at the relative scarcity of wares that were in abundance in the City of Brass). Approaching the small building that belonged to the elderly tiefling, Asheroth notes that the windows are dark, and the "closed" sign is hanging in the door. This strikes both Asheroth and Lucan as odd, as she's got a reputation for being open practically every day.

-------------- Eltain & Zyrr ---------------

When Zyrr mentions his death, a worried look crosses Eilistraee's face, but before she can speak Eltain jumps in with his joyous exclamations about the shrine. She smiles as he speaks, but every so often that same worried look crosses her face again as she glances at Zyrr.

When Eltain begins detailing the Drow war, she quickly shushes him, and looks around worriedly. "Wait...not here. We have some new converts that I'm not entirely sure of yet." She motions you over to a small room off of the main room (indeed the three of you can barely fit in together), and motions for Veldrin to keep watch and keep any potential eavesdroppers away.

"A drow invasion, are you certain?" She stops and frowns "Hmm...that could explain some of the troop movements I've been hearing about, but I had no idea they'd try anything this bold. What I have heard, from a source I believe to be reliable, is that the Drow have contacted Mazril Ti'am."

Zyrr instantly recognizes the name. Among assassins, the name is legendary. Mazril Ti'am is a poisonmaker whose reputation borders myth. His stores are rumored to contain viles of venom made from the blood of Zehir, poisons so deadly that the gods fear them. He keeps an incredibly low profile, and is notoriously difficult to find.

"Before we discuss this, I would like to know more about what you experienced when you died. A year and a half ago, one of Lolth's assassins managed to sneak into the temple of Corellon and put a knife through my throat. I was brought back by the other priests, but not before spending what felt like years in the Demonweb pits. Was it the same for you?"

12. - Top - End - #342
    Ogre in the Playground

ClericGuy

Pavick - Gnome Wizard

Spoiler
    Show

Perception - (1d20+11)[22]

13. - Top - End - #343

Planetar

Asheroth gives Lucan a quizzical look. Well, that was not helpful and cryptic.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Insight-[roll]1d20+14[/roll]

Contracts are contracts, especially with devils. Perhaps there is a loophole. There has to be, right?They continue on through the Grand Baazar and come to Tivvum's Antiquities. "That's odd. It looks closed."

*Knock knock knock knock* "Lu! Are you in there?" Asheroth calls. *Bang bang bang!* "Hellooo!? Luuu!? Where could she be?" He cups his hands around his eyes and peers in through a window. A thin coat of dust lays on the contents of Lu's shop. Couldn't be more than two or three days old.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Perception-(1d20+9)[15]

He turns to Lucan. "This does not bode well. She is never closed. With all that's going on, it is hard not to jump to conclusions. But I'm going to ask around. See if anybody knows where she is or what happened. The things she knows about planar travel and this city could be devastating if they fell into the wrong hands, like the drow. I don't want to break in. The last time I tried...well, let's just say that even a tiefling can catch fire. But if we have to, then we have to. I hope she's okay. She was kind of like my extraplanar mother here."
    Spoiler
    Show
    Streetwise-(1d20+19)[33]
    Connected-(1d20+19)[38]
    Last edited by Orsik Vondal; 2012-07-07 at 02:53 PM.

Nosce te ipsum

14. - Top - End - #344

Zyrr allows the hug for a few awkward moments - drow and prolonged physical contact rarely get along - before gently pushing Eltain away and clapping him on the shoulder. "Later. We'll talk about it later. You make a great point, if Corellon is as you believe, but you have to remember I've been back for less than a day." He gives Eltain one final, solemn stare before continuing on their path. "I don't need preaching right now. I just need time. ...But don't think I won't call you on that promise when I go back to the Pits."

---

Mazril Ti'am... Even though Zyrr has given up poisonmaking, he still can't forget the legendary figure that inspired him to strongly pursue alchemy in the first place. But if the drow have contacted this man, and recruited him for the Fey war, they should have no reason to waste forces on a direct assault.... He brushes the thought to the back of his mind; there will be time to discuss living legends only after the three have brought up the realm of the dead.

"My regards to the priests who revived you, I can hardly see a scar. And not years, more like months. It's certainly pleasant to know Lolth could have put me through even worse, but yes I experienced many days of death while my body was dead for but a few hours. You surely must have seen the same endless webs I have, but what I wonder is what happened if and probably when you were slain in the Pits. For me, each re-death was rewarded with a dream of waking up surrounded by my friends, all so happy to see me, all to die horrible deaths as soon as I started to believe I might actually have come back. Did you experience the same or did Lolth have some other special trick in store for you?"

15. - Top - End - #345
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

DM Post

------ Pavick -----

As Pavick writes, he hears an out of place thumping coming from somewhere in the building. Upstairs? Outside? In the walls? It's hard to figure out what the source is.

--------- Asheroth & Lucan -----------

Ash glances inside the building. It looks a bit disheveled, and some things are out of place, but nothing in particular jumps out at Asheroth. Stepping away from the window, the tiefling catches sight of an old beggar across the street, one that he's seen here many times before.

The beggar, a dwarven woman, gives a wheezing laugh through crooked yellow teeth as Asheroth and Lucan step away. "Oi, sorry love, you're about a day late. Some of your kin came, and oooh were they mad." The beggar cackles, and keeps blathering. "Ol' Lu weren't too happy about it none, but she went with 'em. Looked a bit hacked, if y'ask me, but she made sure they gave me coin." She picks up a gold piece out of her bowl, and holds it up excitedly. Asheroth and Lucan have no trouble recognizing the symbal of Belial imprinted on the spike-rimmed gold piece.

--------- Zyrr and Eltain -----------

A cloud passes over Eilistraee's face. Lolth had her own designs for me. I try not to think back on them."

She sits in silent for a moment, a troubled look on her face, before speaking again. "Eltain, in your effort to further the Order of the Azure Star, I'm sure you've heard many of Corellon's priest say that Corellon has forsaken the drow, and that their souls are cursed. While you rightly agree that this doesn't sound like the Corellon you know and worship, it's unfortunately true.

"When Lolth and the drow first turned on Sehanine and Corellon, the betrayal was too much for Corellon. In his wrath, he cursed the drow and vowed that any drow that worships Lolth would rot with the spider-queen in the Abyss. It was a rash oath made in anger and in the pain of betrayal. The gods are not infallible, and Corellon soon realized the folly and implications of his words. He has regretted his vow a thousand times over, but the oaths of gods are not easily broken. Any drow who bends knee to the spider-queen, even those who abandon her, can have their soul dragged to the Abyss."

She pauses, a tear in her eye, but a slight smile crosses her face. "Twice I've been to Arvandor, and once I saw Corellon himself. He was pleased with my service, and he welcomed me. But when I die, I won't ascend to the Court of the Seldarine or become one of the exalted. When I die, Lolth has claim to my soul, and I expect to suffer for eons for rejecting her in my mortal life. I do not regret my choice to reject the spider-queen, but the thought of spending my afterlife in her torture pits isn't what I hoped for when I first started serving Corellon and Sehanine." Eilistraee stops again, now openly weeping. After a few moments, she manages to regain her composure, and looks up at Eltain and Zyrr, a fire in her eyes.

"But just because she has always had claim to our souls doesn't mean that I intend to spend eternity in the Demonweb pits." She places a hand on each of your shoulders.

"The two of you have risen in power and stature faster than I could have thought possible, and there doesn't seem to be any end in sight to what you may accomplish. I know that the war in the feywild is at the forefront of your duties, and I don't wish to detract from that; but once the war is settled, I have a favor to ask of you." A wide smile stretches across her face. "If an opportunity presents itself, would you be willing to help me kill the Spider-Queen, and reclaim the souls of the drow?"
    Last edited by Hzurr; 2012-07-09 at 01:30 AM.

16. - Top - End - #346
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

"If possible, I want the information disseminated into the entire Feywild. If Cerzei was this confident that the Drow attack would have succeeded had she not informed us, then it likely isn't simple bluster, but will be backed up with their typical strategic poisonings, assassinations, and political manipulations.

Start with our closest contacts, with the instructions to spread the information as much as possible."

Spoiler
    Show
    Perception - (1d20+12)[26]

17. - Top - End - #347
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

DM Post

Aramil also hears an odd banging on the walls, sounding like it's coming from outside. Moments later, it stops.

18. - Top - End - #348
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

"Pavick, did you hear that? I don't like it... I'm going to check on our 'friend.'"

Aramil heads out of the room and towards Cerzei's, trying to keep a look out for more disturbances.
    Perception - (1d20+12)[19]

19. - Top - End - #349
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

DM Post

Aramil quickly makes his way up the stairs, and to the room that the innstaff point to as Cerzei's. The door is locked, and there's no response to Aramil's knocking from the other side.

20. - Top - End - #350
    Ogre in the Playground

ClericGuy

Pavick - Gnome Wizard

Pavick freezes in the middle of his writing, the tip of his oversized feather still bouncing in air for a moment. He listens for a moment, until Aramil speaks up, "Yeah. I think I did. Don't know what though."

When Aramil rushes out of the door, Pavick turns back to the paper, but quickly notices that Slick has poked his head out of his sleeve. The snake was giving him a LOOK. "Oh, yeah, right, he might find trouble," he tells the snake. "We'd better go too." The snake flicked it's tongue out at the gnome then tucked its head back into the sleeve. Pavick jumped off the chair and followed after Aramil.

Once he arrives at the locked door, Pavick pulls Slick from his sleeve. "Sorry, friend. No rest for you. We need to know what's going on in there now," he whispers. Pavick places Slick carefully on the floor, and the tiny serpent slithers under the door.

21. - Top - End - #351

When the drow priestess makes her request, Zyrr stares at her for a moment, her hand on his shoulder detecting no movement. He then turns to Eltain, sprouts a ridiculous smile from his face, and turns back to Eilistraee.

"Now I know why I've gotten along so well with you. You are just as insane as the two of us. Nevermind that this is Lolth, a major goddess, with centuries of faith-crazed drow to fight through just to reach her. Just look at the logistics."

To illustrate his point, Zyrr holds up a clenched fist. "All these drow and Lolth knows what other creatures trapped here. Some don't want to be here, others are perfectly happy with their endless melting pot of killings. We kill Lolth." His hand suddenly opens, palm up. "What happens? Where do they go? If they all rise to Arvandor, do you really expect them to get along with its current residents? If we kill Lolth we don't just kill Lolth. We kill part of the cosmos."

He ducks out from Eilistraee's grasp and paces what little space he has. "I don't have a clue what will happen if we do this, and I'm not sure I want to find out. ....Look. I can't promise you now I'll destroy the Spider Queen. When I go back to the Pits, it's to save the soul of my brother, first and foremost. But if, when I'm there, I get a shot at Lolth..... well I guess I'll give it my best try."

22. - Top - End - #352
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

DM Post

--------Aramil & Pavick-------

With a yawn, Slick uncoils himself from Pavick's arm, and slips under the door, hissing in annoyance. Moments later, he returns, and returns to his position inside the wizards cloak, and slithers his way up to Pavick's ear. "The room issss empty. There'sssss a window open, and a rope made of thossssse ssssilly blankets you people inssssissst on ussssing leading out. But the ssssssent in the room wasssss ssssstill fressssshhh"

--------Eltain & Zyrr----------

OOC: I'll wait for Eltain's response before replying

23. - Top - End - #353

Planetar

"Thank you, Magda. Did you happen to see which way they took Lu? And I was wondering if I could buy that coin from you? How about two gold pieces for it?" He holds up two gold gold pieces between his thumb and forefinger, and a playful smile brightens his face.
    Diplomacy-(1d20+26)[33]

He turns and walks away with a polite wave. Immediately his smile fades as he looks at the coin in his hand. Damn them! Damn them all! Fire burns in his eyes, and smoke rises from his fist clenched around Belial's coin.
    "My kin? She meant tieflings." Asheroth turns to look at Lucan, and holds up the coin. "And this was a message. Lu made them leave it, so someone could find it. So I could find it? Anyway, it's bad enough that she isn't here, but she was taken by Belial, and that is worse. With the knowledge Lu has, he or whoever he's working for can get just about anywhere in the cosmos."

Asheroth picks up the pace as he heads in the direction indicated by Magda. "What are you doing? And why do you need Lu?" He breathes to the wind. Then to Lucan, "This does not bode well. I need to know what they want with Lu. Let's check it out. If we don't find anything useful soon, we can return to the others and tell them what we have found."
    Last edited by Orsik Vondal; 2012-07-09 at 10:20 AM.

Nosce te ipsum

24. - Top - End - #354
    Ogre in the Playground

ClericGuy

Pavick - Gnome Wizard

Pavick strokes Slick affectionately as he crawls back into his sleeve. "Thank you."

He turns to Aramil. "She's escaped. The old blanket rope out the window trick. She wasn't our prisoner, but I would have liked to keep an eye on her. There's no telling what trouble she'll cause out on her own. Should we give chase?"

25. - Top - End - #355
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

DM Post

----------- Lucan & Asheroth -------------

The old beggar's eyes light up at the possibility of getting two coins, and she snatches at them greedily, and makes a vague motion down a side street.

Heading down the street, Asheroth and Lucan are able to question some of the shop owners, locals, and beggars to get a vague idea of what path they took. Eventually, the trail leads them to an empty doorframe in a small corner of the Clerks ward.

The doorframe looks to be made out of burnt wood, a pile of cinders that seems to barely be standing. However, when Asheroth puts his weight against it, it stands as if it were made of steel. On the other side of the door is nothing, just the continuation of the alley.

26. - Top - End - #356

Planetar

After running the length of the Clerks Ward Asheroth leans on his knees out of breath in front of a nondescript doorframe leading nowhere. Chasing devils. The gift that keeps on giving. Asheroth peers through the arcane fabric to see if his suspicions are true. He examines the frame for any runes or clues as to where this door leads.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Arcana-(1d20+16)[25]

"This has to be a **whoo** gateway of some sort. The stability of the doorframe suggests **thah...whew** that it's magical at least...and the fact that they have Lu lends **mah...hah**more weight to it. I have an idea where it **meh...leh** might lead, but without the **aaah** activation sequence, we won't be able to follow. I don't think I would want to with just the two of us anyway. No offense."

Nosce te ipsum

27. - Top - End - #357
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

"Yes, I think we should. Slick has her trail, right?"

Aramil sizes up the door momentarily, deciding whether he should break it down or simply go the long way around.

28. - Top - End - #358
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

DM Post

The door looks fairly solid, but Aramil thinks he can probably break it down. (Athletics DC 23)

29. - Top - End - #359
    Ogre in the Playground

Lucan - Half-elf bard

Lucan looks up suddenly, and says to no one in particular, "I sense a great disturbance in the Inn. As if someone were about to do property damage to my inn for no good reason." He shakes his head. "Anyway, we won't get through the portal without a key. I suppose we could ask around, and see if anyone around here knows of it."

With that, Lucan asks some questions of the locals, to see if anyone knows anything about the portal.

Spoiler
    Show

Streetwise - (1d20+18)[37]

30. - Top - End - #360
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

DM Post

Most of the people in the clerks ward try to pretend that they don't hear Lucan when he asks about the portal, but eventually the bard corners a very skittish troll who keeps nervously detaching are re-attaching his thumb. "Um...well...yeah, I see people go in there from time to time." He gives a long, sigh that sounds like someone giving a raspberry, his long green nose flopping and vibrating as he does so. "But....er, the only people that every really go in there are some of the.." He stops, and looks around nervously "devils go in there from time to time. Y'know, devils, the ones with the fire?" Again, he gives a nervous twitch, and pulls his thumb completely off before sucking on it.
    Last edited by Hzurr; 2012-07-10 at 06:17 PM.