New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 26 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Ogre in the Playground

ClericGuy

Default Re: Adventures in Sigil - IC - Part III [4E]

Pavick - Gnome Wizard

Pavick nods in agreement with Aramil. "Yes. She was a priestess, from what we understood, and probably is looking to be again. Afterall, who would give up such a position of honor, if they had the choice."

Spoiler
    Show

Bluff assistance (1d20+21)[38]

2. - Top - End - #122
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

DM Post

As Aramil begins his theory, the priestesses eyes narrow, and you see her silently mouth "Vernal Coalition?" in confusion. Thankfully, Pavick speaks up quickly enough before she has time to really consider it. She pauses and her eyes briefly dart towards the guards nearby, made up mostly of orc and goblin slaves, but with a few male drow mixed in. She looks back at Pavick and Aramil, and waves a hand dismissively. "No priestess of Lolth would allow her city to be taken. And if she had, she would not have been a true priestess of the almighty spider queen. This is not a lesson I will tell you again." She gives Pavick and Aramil a look as her hand goes to the whip on her belt. Eventually, she nods in satisfaction and turns to leave.

Just as she's about to disappear into the hidden room, she stops and looks back. "Now that I think about it, I do have some use for wood. I'll send a slave to find you later in the market to discuss a purchase for me."

Insight DC 27
    Spoiler
    Show
    You've definitely got her attention. You suspect that her "true priestess of Lolth" bit may be more for the slaves and male drow. The part about needing wood may be her desire to get more information from you.

Continuing down the wide featureless tunnel, you eventually come over the rise and arrive at Vyrrdarr. After the endless blackness of the underdark, the city glows as if it were under the light of a full moon. Huge outcroppings of crystals are scattered throughout the city, each one slowly pulsating a faint blue light. High above the city, a massive spiderweb made of these crystals, each strand hundreds of feet long and at least 15 feet in diameter, spans the cavern ceiling. At the center of the pulsating crystalline webs, is the temple of Lolth that looks down over the city.

Fashioned with eight buttresses to support the main structure, the temple almost looks like a spider sitting in the center of those webs; but where fangs should be there is only a set of stairs leading into the inner sanctums of the beast.

Around the edges of the crystal web, still high above the rest of the city, are the matron houses. From where you are, there look to be nine houses, each with its own fortress-like defenses.

A hundred feet below the web is the bulk of the city. From your current vantage point, you can quickly make out the key features. Large, bustling market; slave hovels; smaller houses built into the crystals and rocks for non-drow or drow without matron house. On the far side of the cavern, Zyrr quickly recognizes two other features common to most Drow cities. A large spiral tower built from a stalagmite that would serve as the training for drow wizards, and a set of barracks, stables, and training grounds for the armies of Vyrrdarr.

Perception DC 24
    Spoiler
    Show
    Given the size of the barracks, there seems to be surprisingly little activity going on there.

As you enter into the city, the slaves and day-laborers stare at you as you pass by, each eying the trader's pendant around your neck with wonder and suspicion. Most of the attention seems to focus on Aramil. While gnomes and half-elves sometimes make their way to the Underdark as traders or slaves, most of these creatures have never seen a living eladrin; and whispers fly as you pass by. At one point, an ornate litter carried by four ogre stop, and you see the violet eyes of a curious noblewoman examining you from behind the curtains of the litter.

Nearing the center of the city, things become a bit more comfortable. Markets, whether in Fallcrest, Sigil, or the Feywild; all tend to feel the same. Dealers calling out their wares, a few thieves scattered about (although most markets didn't have the thieves crucified as a warning to others if they were caught), and that odd mix of smells from dozens of carts. There also seem to be a number of inns that cater to both locals and traveling merchants of all races.

3. - Top - End - #123
    Ogre in the Playground

Lucan - Half-elf bard

Lucan's eyes are wide as he peers around the city. "I think she knew more than she said. Do you think she knew something? I bet that's why she wanted to talk to us later. Do you think this place looks kind of empty? I think so. With those barracks you'd think there would be a lot more people here. Where are they?"
    Last edited by DSCrankshaw; 2012-04-01 at 12:58 PM.

4. - Top - End - #124
    Ogre in the Playground

ClericGuy

Pavick - Gnome Wizard

Pavick wanders down the street blissfully unaware of whatever is going on, at least until Lucan speaks up. "Oh. Well, I suppose that could be. If she does know something that could be helpful. Trying to gather information about our person of interest could be problematic in a place like this. So, do we go to the markets to take care of Gendar's goods first? Or should we start discreetly asking around?"

Spoiler
    Show

Insight - (1d20+11)[12]
    Perception - (1d20+11)[23]
    Last edited by dariathalon; 2012-04-01 at 01:42 PM.

5. - Top - End - #125
    Bugbear in the Playground

Oklahoma, where the air elementals carry brooms

"I'd rather not meet on her terms, but she's worth talking to. We'll see her when her slave finds us." Zyrr responds to Lucan, before turning his attention to Pavick. "Right, Gendar's goods come early, I'd hate to get involved too deeply in something else and find out we're past our deadline. But the first thing we should do is secure an inn, even if our room stays empty for hours. I plan on resting tonight, and reverie or no I'm not trusting my unconscious body to a place we find when we're already dead tired."

Though he's never personally been to the city of crystals, Zyrr digs through conversations he had before his exile for common tavern names. The more common they come up, the more likely they are to be safe. Streetwise - (1d20+12)[15]

6. - Top - End - #126
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

DM Post

As you ask around the market, several tavern names come up, but none seem to strike you as particularly safe. Eventually, you're reduced to simply choosing one at random, and hoping for the best. As you walk around the market, it seems particularly wild and rambunctious, even for the drow. Thieves of all races seem to be blatantly stealing, and you see numerous fights break out. Even among the drow, there should be some sort of city watch to keep things under control, but there seem to be hardly any around. Still, you appear well armed enough that no one attempts to involve you in any of these fights or pickpocketings, and before long you finally find the tavern you were looking for.

Arriving at the Pickled Rothe, you're met by an elderly drow man who takes your money even as he eyes the party suspiciously. A pair of goblin slaves take you to your room, a stone structure built around one of the odd glowing crystals. However, once they bring you to your rooms, it seems that one of the goblins, or the innkeeper, or simply a conspicuous looking patron always seems to be meandering in the hallway. While you do not get the impression that someone is planning on robbing you, coming and going unnoticed may prove difficult.

It took longer than expected to find a room and settle in, and after only half an hour in the room there is a faint knocking at the door. Opening it, a gnome steps in, his eyes downcast. On his forehead, a slave marking has been branded, and when you attempt to speak to him, he opens his mouth to reveal his tongue has been cut out. Around his neck is a polished, silver mirror that he holds up and drops a fine blue powder on, and moments later you see the face of the drow priestess from before appear.

"Well, I hear you have found a place that will house your kind." The image is a bit warbley, but you are able to make out most of the words. The face of the priestess turns slightly to look at Aramil at Pavick. The image squints, and it appears that the distortion works both ways as the priestess-in-a-mirror examines the gnome and eladrin. "Now tell me, who is this priestess whose city you claimed was routed?"

7. - Top - End - #127
    Ogre in the Playground

Lucan - Half-elf bard

"The priestess?" Lucan says. "I don't really know a lot about her myself. What was her name? Cer-something?"

8. - Top - End - #128

Zyrr sizes up the magical projection of the priestess before speaking. The odds of her being the very same drow they're looking for are slim - if she were in any sort of trouble, she wouldn't have let herself be put on gate duty. "Cerzei Na-Duurn. Does the name jingle any coinpurses?"

9. - Top - End - #129
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

DM Post

Among his many accomplishments, Zyrr is also remarkable for the number of times he has seen a drow female go bug-eyed and lived to tell about it. And now, Zyrr has the opportunity of experiencing this sensation again but this time in the pleasant company of his allies.

As Lucan mentioned the first part of Cerzei's name, for just a brief moment you see the priestesses eyes widen and her mouth drop open. Even the speechless gnome servant shifted uncomfortably. However, a moment later the drow regains her composure, and makes a vague gesture. "Yes, as I expected, I have never heard of anyone by that name. Whoever she was, I'm certain she must have died defending her city." There's an awkward pause, before she continues. "Well, I'm glad that is settled. May your trading find favor in the eyes of the goddess." and with that, her image disappears, and the silver mirror goes dim.

In spite of her courteous farewell, you are all left with the undeniable feeling that this woman is going to try and have you assassinated.

As the gnome servant turns to leave, he pauses to make eye-contact with Pavick, before giving a very pointed look up and to the left out of the window.

10. - Top - End - #130
    Ogre in the Playground

ClericGuy

Pavick - Gnome Wizard

Pavick had been too upset by the gnome's condition to speak with the woman. His heart had broken upon seeing the broken-spirited gnome slave complete with branding on his forehead, and when he opened his mouth to reveal the missing tongue, Pavick was left absolutely speechless. He had seen gnomes in this condition before, but every time it was still like the first. He simply gave the gnome a faint forced smile, trying to show his sympathy.

When the woman's message is done, Pavick meets his eye, and then follows the glance out the window. "Thank you, my friend, for delivering the message. Farewell."

Once the gnome has gone, Pavick turns to the others. "We must do something for him. He may very well have risked his life to give us some important information." Pavick turns and walks to the window. He scans the city lit by glowing crystals, trying to puzzle out the location the gnome had given him. "If I'm not mistaken, he's telling us that his master is somehow connected to... that tunnel."
    Last edited by dariathalon; 2012-04-09 at 11:50 PM.

11. - Top - End - #131
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

DM Post

Could I get a perception and/or insight check from Pavick?

12. - Top - End - #132
    Ogre in the Playground

ClericGuy

Pavick - Gnome Wizard

Spoiler
    Show

Here they are... The mods are the same, and both fairly low. Let's hope our streak of low rolls comes to an end.
    Insight - (1d20+11)[12]
    Perception - (1d20+11)[24]

13. - Top - End - #133
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

DM Post

As Pavick moves to look at the window, he looks up to see the massive crystalline web spanning the city. His gaze is quickly drawn to the temple and the vast matron houses, but as the wizard forces himself to fix his eyes on where the gnome slave looked, he notices something else.

In a corner of the web, completely unnoticeable compared to the splendor and glory of the temple and great manors, is a small opening. There looks to be a tiny tunnel that leads off away from the main cavern. Even from this distance, the glowing of the web is just enough to outline a few tiny figures standing casually near the entrance. As one of them stretches, Pavick sees the silhouette of two small arms below a pair of larger heavily muscled arms. Pavick knows enough of the planes to immediately recognize the half-demonic form of a draegloth.

14. - Top - End - #134
    Ogre in the Playground

ClericGuy

Pavick - Gnome Wizard

Pavick shares with the others what he sees there, and invites the others to come over to take a look. One at a time, he describes the location of the tunnel as the others examine the crystalline web. "I don't know what that's all about, but I suggest we check it out."

15. - Top - End - #135
    Ogre in the Playground

Lucan - Half-elf bard

Lucan looks in the direction Pavick indicates. "Are you sure those aren't the assassins she's sending after us?" he asks.

Spoiler
    Show

Perception - (1d20+19)[26]
    Insight - (1d20+18)[33]

16. - Top - End - #136
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

DM Post

As best as Lucan can tell, they appear to be guards. Actually, now that you think back, these are some of the only guards you've seen since you arrived.

17. - Top - End - #137
    Ogre in the Playground

Lucan - Half-elf bard

"I guess they look more like guards than assassins," Lucan admits.

18. - Top - End - #138
    Ogre in the Playground

ClericGuy

Pavick - Gnome Wizard

"Well, whoever they are, I suggest we go find out. Better to take things into our own hands instead of waiting for that woman to send some goons after us." Pavick starts for the door, pausing after turning the handle to see if the others are following.

19. - Top - End - #139

"It's a draegloth." Zyrr responds, following along. "They're only good assassins in that they'll kill whatever you point them at. If you can follow their trail of carnage back to whoever hired them, useless. As guards, however, well, you'd have to be stupid to try to get past them. ....'Tell a drow priestess you're here to kill her' stupid. Let's check it out."
    Last edited by Toric; 2012-04-11 at 08:57 PM.

20. - Top - End - #140
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

"If so, then what are they guarding, that the gnome went through such effort to point it out to us?"

21. - Top - End - #141

"Only one way to find out." The drow smirks as he closes distance along with the others.

22. - Top - End - #142
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

DM Post

Making your way across the drow city is difficult without drawing attention to yourself. It seems that every orc or ogre standing guard or carrying a litter tries to stare down the Shepherd (none succeed), while the various goblinoid and humanoid slaves look at the adamantine pendants you all carry with clear envy across their faces, desperate for the freedom and mobility it gives you in this society.

Again, that odd impression of disorder and chaos seems everywhere, as the city guard feels practically non-existent here. This time, you're able to work it to your advantage and make it out of the central market area without much hassle. Near one of the staircases leading up to the spiderweb above, there are a few orcs and goblins stationed to keep out the riffraff, but a quick wave of Pavick's hand sends one fast asleep, one charmed, and one banished to a demiplane before they even realized what was happening.

Arriving on the glittering crystalline web, the view from above is truly spectacular. The faerie fire and lanterns and glowing crystals below, bathed in the light of the pulsating web above makes a beautiful scene, especially when you're too far to see the violence and bloodstains on the ground. You're able to avoid the more regularly traveled web strands, and keep to the outside spokes away from the manor houses or massive spider-shaped temple in the center. After a brief moment where you're forced to sneak past a pair of house guards, you finally arrive near the entrance to the small cave. It appears that there is some enchantment in this area, because the light from the pulsating crystal webs never quite seem to illuminate this region of the cavern. You can see that Pavick and Lucan's estimation of this area looked correct. A group of drow stay to the shadows here, clearly guarding the entrance. Near by, but not as difficult to spot, are two draegloths

Zyrr, Lucan, Shep
    Spoiler
    Show
    As the three of you watch, you notice that something seems wrong with the Draegloth. They appear...distracted. Both keep staring off into the distance, or cocking their heads as if they hear something, but they don't appear to be looking in the same direction or stopping to listen at the same time.

As you watch, a pair of drow in thick, dark robes exit the tunnel, clutching several large scrolls of parchment. The robes are pulled down, covering the face of the pair, but the height of the drow and the way the male guards divert their eyes indicate that they are both female, and their path towards the temple gives hint as to their profession. The robes, however, seem very bland and non-descript. The two make their way out of the dark area, and onto the open glowing web, moving towards the temple as quickly as a casual stroll will allow.

The guards watch the pair leave, but they all remain near the posts at their tunnel entrance.

23. - Top - End - #143

Zyrr scratches his stubble-free chin as he examines the setup. "Hmm... If I snuck in I could definitely get back through those guards. I'd have to go in by myself, though, so do let me know if you think it's worth the risk. You've seen my risk-assessment in action. First, Lucky Gnome, see if those draegloths are as fake as they seem."

Mid-planning, a thought strikes him. "The city must be absolutely desparate if they're resorting to illusions. No signs of a recent battle here... These drow must have marched nearly all of their military might out of the city, but to where I wonder, and for what reward? Aramil, I think we'll want to look into this a bit more later, it might concern your kin."

24. - Top - End - #144
    Ogre in the Playground

ClericGuy

Pavick - Gnome Wizard

Pavick shrugs. "I don't know; they look real enough to me." He pauses for a moment. "Maybe it's worth a closer inspection though."

Pavick spends a few moments examining the flows of arcane energy in the area for any signs of illusions in play. He's always been better at making illusions than finding them, but it was worth a shot anyway.

Spoiler
    Show

Arcana - (1d20+28)[45]

25. - Top - End - #145
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

DM Post

As Pavick focuses, the normal world soon dims and the swirls of magical energy in the air begin to take shape. He soon realizes that the Draegloths are both real, simply distracted.

For most wizards, that would have been enough, but the keen senses of the gnome along with the extensive training Pavick did on the outer planes of the cosmos causes the lucky gnome to take note of something else. In the swirling and writhing magical currents, there's...a song? a chant? A call perhaps? There's something there. It's intermittent, and slowly rising and falling; but it appears that the draegloths can both sense whatever it is, and it appears to be drawing their attention. Whatever it is, it looks to be interwoven with the pure threads of elemental energy itself, possibly from the Elemental Chaos or even the Abyss. If you had to guess, you think the demonic heritage of the draegloth is what allows them to sense this strange energy that seems to be calling to them from the planes below.

26. - Top - End - #146
    Ogre in the Playground

ClericGuy

Pavick - Gnome Wizard

Pavick stares in the draegloth's direction for several seconds, deep in concentration. He turns around, shoulders drooped. "This seems bad... really bad. As near as I can tell they are real, just distracted. And the distraction has me concerned. Something is happening in the chaos below that they are sensing. I wouldn't have noticed it, except for their reaction to it. It is like a ritual or a song... something. And if it is coming from there, I doubt it's good news."

27. - Top - End - #147

"A pity. I was hoping I'd get to walk right through them." the drow pouts even as his mind changes gears.

"Okay, sneaking into that cavern seems a bit of point of no return, so here we.... " Zyrr stretches one leg forward, then pivots and begins walking the other way, toward the priestesses. "Shepherd, behind me. Your motivation is that you work for a loan shark I owe money for. You've spotted me and you're gradually getting more bold in following and approaching me. When we reach the priestesses, I want you to shove me into them and confront me in Common. Be as frightening as a mountain can be. If all goes well I'll be a few scrolls heavier and you'll be a hundred gold richer."

Spoiler
    Show
    If Shep agrees to do this, Bluff - (1d20+19)[38]

28. - Top - End - #148
    Barbarian in the Playground

The little black elf was saying funny things, and so Shep began to scratch at his chin.

It would have been so much easier to be intimidating if he still had his beard.

Zyrr was already some few steps ahead by the time he had a moment to assess the situation, having not even waited for his response. The lumbering mountain man shrugged, and followed him on silent feet. Shep slunk behind Zyrr, watching him walk in that oh-so-very-smug way of his, until the priestess was right in sight. And then the Shepherd sprang. Or rather, didn't do much springing at all, for he shot his arm out very plainly, and grabbed Zyrr by the head.

"Hey.." The Shepherd paused, clearing his throat. "Hey..."

...what the devil did tough people call other people when they were trying to act tough? Shep tensed up his face,

"...hey you."

Perfect.

"I said hey you." The Shepherd spoke in a deep gravely voice. "Yes, you. You...erm..." Shep frowned. Now what on earth was a good name for an employer. They always started with Mister. Always. It was some sort of code that seedy business people had to follow. "Mister...uh...Mister...Mister Goat doesn't like being ducked."

The Shepherd stood there blankly for a moment, staring at Zyrr, as the world seemed to grow thick with uncomfortable silence. And then it hit him, like a candle igniting in his head.

"...oh right." And the goliath almost threw Zyrr into the priestesses. Shep smiled, pleased with himself.
    Last edited by Haberdashery; 2012-04-17 at 05:53 PM.

29. - Top - End - #149

As Zyrr stumbles backward into the priestesses, all he can think of is what a great story this will make if he survives it. But though his mind is elsewhere, his hands are ready and waiting to snatch away the right pieces of paper.

Thievery - (1d20+20)[36]

30. - Top - End - #150
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

DM Post

As the Shepherd throws Zyrr into the priestesses, the two hooded figures step back in shock. Clearly, they weren't expecting this, and neither notice as Zyrr pulls a few sheets of parchment out of the roll and slips it under his coat. However, not noticing clearly does nothing to temper the anger of the priestesses. One of the pair looks down at you, and a smile crosses her face. "Oh, I am going to enjoy this..." she whispers, as she pulls a long scourge out from under her robes. The second priestess simply gives a smirk, and continues walking "Don't have too much fun with them. I'll see you at the temple. And in case they prove a bit difficult..."" she waves her hand, and from under her robes you see thousands of tiny spiders swarm out.

From the cave entrance, the Draegloth and guards cautiously move forward, eager to see what punishment will be unleashed on this foolish pair who troubled the priestess. They don't seem to have noticed Aramil, Lucan, or Pavick crouched by the cave wall.

MAP:
    Spoiler
    Show

Key:
    Spoiler
    Show

Initiative:

Shep - H15
    Zyrr - G17 - Prone
    Aramil - U17
    Lucan - U14
    Pavick - T13

Draegloth - Q7, B6
    Drow Priestess - E18
    Guards - L8, M11, N5
    Spider Swarm - F20

OOC: So the rule for movement is basically, if the majority of the square is spider-web, you can move. If at least part of the square is spider-web, you get a +5 bonus to saving throws to avoid being pushed off. Also, if you have an item power that gives you spider-climb, you cannot be pushed or slid off the web (but you will fall prone).

Aramil, Pavick, & Lucan all have combat advantage for the first round, Zyrr starts off Prone.

If you fall or are pushed off the web & don't have any means of flight or what-have-you, you'll take 10d10 falling damage. You'll need to spend a standard action to re-enter combat on the edge of the map (which is exceptionally fast climbing, but we'll ignore that bit).