New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

Default [3.PF] Rune Priest (base class)

Spoiler
    Show

Rune Priests are those who devote their lives to their gods. They use the language of magic for healing their allies and hindering their foes. A rune priest is just as likely to be in the front lines as standing behind their heavily armored bretheren. Few races have rune priests rather than clerics. Dwarves do so because of their mistrust in magic. They were forced under their mountain because of the use of common magics. They took this as a sign that they too needed this and started to learn the ancient language of magic from runes left by ancient dwarves. The Kissis (home brew race, Egyptian like Cat-People) use rune priests as well. (Fluff that hasn't been decided)

Role: The role of a Rune Priest is mostly decided by the player. A Rune Priest could function as a healer as well as doing Holding his own in the front line protecting the tank with spells.

GAME RULE INFORMATION

Rune Priests have the following game statistics.
    Abilities: The Rune Priest's most important stat is wisdom as his spells require him to have a wisdom score of 10 + the spells level. Strength may also be important for a rune priest who fights on the front line, the same being said for constitution.
    Alignment: Any good
    Hit Die: d8
    Starting Age: As cleric
    Starting Gold: As cleric

Class Skills:
    Appraise (Int), Craft (Int), Diplomacy (Cha), Heal (Wis), Knowledge (arcana) (Int), Knowledge (history) (Int), Knowledge (nobility) (Int), Knowledge (planes) (Int), Knowledge (religion) (Int), Linguistics (Int), Profession (Wis), Sense Motive (Wis), and Spellcraft (Int).

Skill Points at First Level: (2 + Int modifier) x 4
    Skill Points at Each Additional Level: 2 + Int modifier

{table=head]Level|BAB|Fort|Ref|Will|Special |0lvl|1st|2nd|3rd|4th|5th|6th|7th|8th|9th

1st|+0|+2|+0|+2|Focal Rune, Orisons, Rune of Mending (1d6)|3|1|—|—|—|—|—|—|—|—

2nd|+1|+3|+0|+3||4|2|—|—|—|—|—|—|—|—

3rd|+2|+3|+1|+3|Runecrafter (+1), Rune of Mending (2d6)|4|2+|—|—|—|—|—|—|—|—

4th|+3|+4|+1|+4||4|3|1|—|—|—|—|—|—|—

5th|+3|+4|+1|+4|Rune of Mending (3d6)|4|3|2|—|—|—|—|—|—|—

6th|+4|+5|+2|+5|Runecrafter (+2), Inscribe Rune|4|3|2|1|—|—|—|—|—|—

7th|+5|+5|+2|+5|Rune of Mending (4d6)|4|4|3|2|—|—|—|—|—|—

8th|+6/+1|+6|+2|+6|Rune Mastery|4|4|3|2|1|—|—|—|—|—

9th|+6/+1|+6|+3|+6|Runecrafter (+3),Rune of Mending (5d6)|4|4|3|3|2|—|—|—|—|—

10th|+7/+2|+7|+3|+7||4|4|4|3|2|1|—|—|—|—

11th|+8/+3|+7|+3|+7|Rune of Mending (6d6)|4|4|4|3|3|2|—|—|—|—

12th|+8/+3|+8|+4|+8|Runecrafter (+4)|4|4|4|4|3|2|1|—|—|—

13th|+9/+4|+8|+4|+8|Rune of Mending (7d6)|4|4|4|4|3|3|2|—|—|—

14th|+10/+5|+9|+4|+9||4|4|4|4|4|3|2|1|—|—

15th|+11/+6/+1|+9|+5|+9|Runecrafter (+5), Rune of Mending (8d6)|4|4|4|4|4|3|3|2|—|—

16th|+12/+7/|+10|+5|+10|Maximize Rune|4|4|4|4|4|4|3|2|1|—

17th|+12/+7/|+10|+5|+10|Rune of Mending (9d6)|4|4|4|4|4|4|3|3|2|—

18th|+13/+8/+3|+11|+6|+11|Runecrafter (+6)|4|4|4|4|4|4|4|3|3|1

19th|+14/+9/+4|+11|+6|+11|Rune of Mending (10d6)|4|4|4|4|4|4|4|4|3|2

20th|+15/+10/+5|+12|+6|+12|Rewrite|4|4|4|4|4|4|4|4|4|4
    [/table]

Class Features
    All of the following are class features of the Rune Priest.

Weapon and Armor Proficiencies:
    Rune Priests are proficient with all simple weapons and the Warhammer, with all types of armor but Heavy Armor (light and medium), and with shields (except tower shields).

Spells:
    A Rune Priest divine spells which are drawn from the cleric spell list. His alignment, however, may restrict him from casting certain spells opposed to his moral or ethical beliefs; see Chaotic, Evil, Good, and Lawful Spells. A rune priest must choose and prepare his spells in advance.

To prepare or cast a spell, a rune priest must have a Wisdom score equal to at least 10 + the spell level. The Difficulty Class for a saving throw against a rune priest’s spell is 10 + the spell level + the rune priest’s Wisdom modifier.
    (may make up my own spell list as I feel they should have different spells than a cleric)

Like other spell casters, a rune priest can cast only a certain number of spells of each spell level per day. His base daily spell allotment is given above. In addition, he receives bonus spells per day if he has a high Wisdom score.

Focal Rune (Ex): At first level, the Rune Priest may select one weapon or armor to be scribed with a focal rune to serve as a divine focus. Additionally, the focal rune grants a +2 sacred/profane bonus to CMD and saves against attempts to destory or remove the item from the Rune Priests possession. If the item is damaged, it is restored to full hit points the next time the Rune Priest meditates or prays for his spells. If the item is lost or destroyed, a new focal rune can be inscribed on an item in a special ritual that costs 200 gp. This ritual takes 8 hours to complete.

Orisons: Functions exactly as cleric. The rune priest may quickly project insignificant runes on the fly.

Rune of Mending: beginning at 1st level, a rune priest may quickly use a rune passed from his elders for the art of healing. This spell functions exactly like the cleric's "Channel Energy" except it may not be used to harm or turn undead.

Inscribe Rune: The Rune priest gains the feat Inscribe Rune as listed in the Players Guide to Faerun on pg. 36 as long as he meets any prerequisites. ( if he does not, he gains this feat as soon as he does.)

The craft DC for inscribing a rune is 20 + the spell lvl. The cost of inscribing a rune is as follows: spell level x caster level x 50gp x 5 ( this cost is based on the permanancy spell translater from 3.5 to pathfinder, the cost is x5 the xp cost was in 3.5, respectively, the normal price listed in the feat is x5, also the 50gp is down from 100 because of errata.)

Runecrafter (Ex): Beginning at 3rd level, a Rune-priest may add +1 sacred/profane bonus to Craft checks when creating runes. This bonus increases by +1 every three levels beyond 3rd.

Rune Mastery (Sp): The rune priest can increase the power of a divine spell by tracing an intricate rune in the air as a somatic component for the spell. This allows the rune priest to add the runecrafter bonus to healing or damage spells. For spells with a casting time of less than one round, the casting time increases to one round. This ability cannot be used on stilled spells, and it does not function with the maximize rune ability. Each day he can use this ability a number of times equal to 1/2 his rune priest level plus his Wisdom modifier.

Maximize Rune: The rune priest can create runes that are maximized, as if under the effects of a Maximize Spell feat, without altering the level of the spell being used to create the rune. Maximizing a rune adds +5 to the DC of the Craft check required to inscribe it.

Rewrite: (suggestions for a capstone? this was all I could think up.) The rune priest spends his turn to inscribe runes in the air to alter an action that has happened since his last turn, He can make it so an ally succeeded on a saving throw or a foe failed. (if this stays, I don't know what else he could alter so suggestions are welcome)

Notes: Very much subject to change, as well as very open to suggestions.
    Edit1- added the Inscribe rune bonus feat, Added DC for inscribing runes.
    Edit2- Gave rune of mending, basically the rune priest is a cleric without domain spells and abilities that has rune-crafting....so far, soon I will acquire the gumption to make their own spell list.
    Edit3- Fixed wording and proofread again. Thinking of getting rid of Maximize rune because of constant negative feedback, but it is a 16th lvl feature, at this time other classes are getting nuts.
    Last edited by moghue; 2012-02-09 at 10:52 AM.
    "You realize we won't have a spoon left?" -- Tika Majere on being told that Tasslehoff Burrfoot was alone in the house

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

RogueGuy

Default Re: [PF] Rune Priest (PEACH, WIP)

Since there's no spell list presented as of yet, these are the only few things that confuse me:

1. What's the base craft DC for a rune?
    2. Why does he have so many class skills, but so few skillpoints per level?
    3. Why give him 4 level 0 spells per day, and not make them at will?
    4. Maximize Rune is broken under any standard.
    5. What is the range of rune chant?

3. - Top - End - #3
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Re: [PF] Rune Priest (PEACH, WIP)

Quote Originally Posted by Phosphate View Post
    Since there's no spell list presented as of yet, these are the only few things that confuse me:

1. What's the base craft DC for a rune?
    2. Why does he have so many class skills, but so few skillpoints per level?
    3. Why give him 4 level 0 spells per day, and not make them at will?
    4. Maximize Rune is broken under any standard.
    5. What is the range of rune chant?
    1. Sorry it was in an obscure part of the FR campaign setting, I will include it here as well as adding it above, Its 20+ lvl of spell used.
    2. I gave it the skill points and skills as cleric from the the Pathfinder SRD, though since he uses craft maybe I should up it to 3-4
    3. In PF all 0 lvl spells are at will
    4.Maximize rune was taken right from the PRC in forgotten realms for 3.5, its the 6th lvl ability
    5. It is the same as the range of the spell.

(also giving him inscribe rune as a bonus feat because of the class focus on it.)
    "You realize we won't have a spoon left?" -- Tika Majere on being told that Tasslehoff Burrfoot was alone in the house

4. - Top - End - #4
    Pixie in the Playground

SamuraiGirl

Default Re: [3.PF] Rune Priest (base class)

I like the added channel, making them somewhat healers, It is a struggle to make class features for rune users to differ them from normal casters.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Question: what benefit does using Rune Chant give?
    It allows you to apply your Runecraft class feature, but unless I'm mistaken that doesn't actually help spells...
    Some men just want to watch the world shift uncomfortably in its seat.
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Kylarra View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by absolmorph View Post
    I happen to like screwing around with Handle Animal.
    Red Mage, is that you?
    Quote Originally Posted by Rawhide View Post
    Now you're cranking it up to eleven.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dimonite View Post
    A week ago, I didn't know who you were. Now I know: you're the BEST PERSON EVER.
    Quote Originally Posted by noparlpf View Post
    You seem to be having trouble with the idea that a rulebook can contradict itself, because it shouldn't, but...WotC.

If you're reading this for some reason, you can find me in a few places on the web as azoicennead.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by absolmorph View Post
    Question: what benefit does using Rune Chant give?
    It allows you to apply your Runecraft class feature, but unless I'm mistaken that doesn't actually help spells...
    Sorry about that, It was originally runic power, you add your runecraft bonus to the damage or healing, maybe I'll make it runecraft bonus x2 ? Basically is a fluffy class feature, you trace your rune in the air and cast the spell, adding a small amount but looking awesome in the process. I'm thinking runecraftx2 because of the increase in time.

Option 2, it adds to the DC, but thats kind of a thing you don't worry about necessarily when your a battle cleric.
    Last edited by moghue; 2012-02-07 at 07:15 AM.