Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112
  1. - Top - End - #331
    Orc in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Default Re: The OotS Soundtrack Project

It's great. Makes a good intro too.
    SSBitP
    Quote Originally Posted by Craft (Cheese) View Post
    "Creativity is the art of knowing how to hide one's sources." - Original quote, DO NOT STEAL.

2. - Top - End - #332
    Halfling in the Playground

Chimera

Azure, about 1/4 complete.
    Last edited by Quarion Nailo; 2012-10-11 at 05:27 AM.

3. - Top - End - #333
    Bugbear in the Playground

This topic is great. I decided to try myself in composing, and this is what I've done:

Elan, Inspirer of Competence.

Since this is my first composition ever, I decided to keep it simple and short. Any comments and suggestions are welcome.
    Guess what spell I cast before posting this message.

4. - Top - End - #334

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by petersohn View Post
    This topic is great. I decided to try myself in composing, and this is what I've done:

Elan, Inspirer of Competence.

Since this is my first composition ever, I decided to keep it simple and short. Any comments and suggestions are welcome.
    It's very nice, I put it in the OP.

I think you've got a good melody, and maybe it would be nice to have a little more substance, maybe variation on the tune a little? For a first piece, it's really great, and I hope to see lots of music by you in the future

5. - Top - End - #335

Quote Originally Posted by Quarion Nailo View Post
    It's very nice, I put it in the OP.

I think you've got a good melody, and maybe it would be nice to have a little more substance, maybe variation on the tune a little? For a first piece, it's really great, and I hope to see lots of music by you in the future
    Thanks for the comment. I made some modifications and updated the entry.
    Guess what spell I cast before posting this message.

6. - Top - End - #336
    Ogre in the Playground

Finally, I have a new song!

The Battle Of Sir Digit was done in one hour, so it's a little short. It details the battle of Sir Digit, and how he lost to them glass. I would say it's a little fanfare-ish. Comments are appreciated!

7. - Top - End - #337
    Pixie in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Can anyone do a belkar theme

8. - Top - End - #338
    Ogre in the Playground

A belkar theme? I imagine it would involve an electric guitar or a lot of snare and bass drum...

9. - Top - End - #339

I think that araveugnitsuga agreed to do a Belkar theme a while ago. Not sure if he forgot to post it or if he just didn't finish it.

10. - Top - End - #340
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Othesemo View Post
    I think that araveugnitsuga agreed to do a Belkar theme a while ago. Not sure if he forgot to post it or if he just didn't finish it.
    The second mostly, certain complications reduced my composition time heavily and I got sidetracked by another personal music project. I do try to advance it from time to time but I've got mostly nothing beyond the first part and that's only for the main melody and the harmony; I haven't even started to arrange it for an orchestra proper.

If anybody else wants to take it over feel free to do so; I've realised I feel much more comfortable doing background music themes and the few pages I have done barely qualify as work.
    The Iron Avatarist Crypt of Fame - Exorcising photobucket from the historic archives of the forum.
    Go and went by many names Ast, Avgvst, Pink-Haired August, araveugnitsuga and nowadays AsteriskAmp.

11. - Top - End - #341
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by araveugnitsuga View Post
    The second mostly, certain complications reduced my composition time heavily and I got sidetracked by another personal music project. I do try to advance it from time to time but I've got mostly nothing beyond the first part and that's only for the main melody and the harmony; I haven't even started to arrange it for an orchestra proper.

If anybody else wants to take it over feel free to do so; I've realised I feel much more comfortable doing background music themes and the few pages I have done barely qualify as work.
    I could finish it. Could you send me the sheet music (preferably in music XMl form)?
    Illud quod aeternitatem iacere potest non mortuus est, ac dis peregrinis etiam mors moriatur.

D&D 3.5≠Pathfinder

Typhon by Kaptainkrutch. Thanks to TylerB7 for the latin

12. - Top - End - #342

Chimera

Let me start by saying, it has been a long, long while.

Things have happened. A lot of things have changed.

Not me.

I'm proud to present my latest piece: Smoke and Mirrors (Girard's Theme). I've switched to hosting using Soundcloud, because it's far more convenient as far as playback is concerned. Please let me know what you think.

I've also slightly changed the formatting of the first post to make it a little clearer.

As always, I hope you enjoy, and feel free to add pieces of your own! The original post has plenty of useful information if you're not sure where to start.

Rock on,
    QN
    Last edited by Quarion Nailo; 2013-09-08 at 03:13 AM. Reason: fixed link, linked fix

13. - Top - End - #343
    Pixie in the Playground

HalflingRogueGirl

Wow! I came out of lurking just to post this. This music is really impressive. I'm an amateur musician myself, how can I help?

14. - Top - End - #344

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by RubySky View Post
    Wow! I came out of lurking just to post this. This music is really impressive. I'm an amateur musician myself, how can I help?
    Thanks! We're always looking for new composers; if you look at the front page, it's got some basic tips for composition editors and how to start composing. After that, the world's your oyster

I personally recommend starting with a basic, intuitive composing software like Noteflight before moving on to more advanced stuff. Noteflight is in-browser, which is convenient, and is very easy to use and share. That said, it's not a very powerful (or great-sounding) editor, so be prepared to move on when you feel ready.

Hoping to hear great things,
    QN

15. - Top - End - #345
    Pixie in the Playground

HalflingRogueGirl

Thanks! We're always looking for new composers; if you look at the front page, it's got some basic tips for composition editors and how to start composing. After that, the world's your oyster

I personally recommend starting with a basic, intuitive composing software like Noteflight before moving on to more advanced stuff. Noteflight is in-browser, which is convenient, and is very easy to use and share. That said, it's not a very powerful (or great-sounding) editor, so be prepared to move on when you feel ready.

Hoping to hear great things,
    QN
    I made some things using Noteflight, but they all sound very rigid and mechanical. How can I get them to sound more realistic, like yours or some of the other ones up there?

16. - Top - End - #346

I made some things using Noteflight, but they all sound very rigid and mechanical. How can I get them to sound more realistic, like yours or some of the other ones up there?
    The main problem is that noteflight's sound library is pretty sparse- a lot of the compositions up there (mine included) are using more powerful software with more realistic sounds by default (I use Sibelius- you can see the music editor written next to everyone else's pieces, though). I did try using noteflight for a while, and to be honest, I'm pretty sure sounding rigid and mechanical is a feature.

Incidentally, could the OP be updated to clarify that Vengeance is intended to be Malack's theme? As is, it could be confusing to people just starting to read the thread, especially since Malack's Theme remains listed under 'requests.'

17. - Top - End - #347

Chimera

Incidentally, could the OP be updated to clarify that Vengeance is intended to be Malack's theme? As is, it could be confusing to people just starting to read the thread, especially since Malack's Theme remains listed under 'requests.'
    Duly noted.

As Othesmo said, it's all a matter of the program you use (and the soft synths/soundfonts that you load in that program). Noteflight is an in-browser composer, which means that while it's very easy to use it is far more limited in its capabilities than more professional programs like Sibelius or (like I use) Cakewalk SONAR. Both of these programs run directly on your PC as opposed to browser apps; however, neither is free software. If you want to step up your game, there exists free software that you can download that is more powerful than Noteflight (Musescore, for instance).

(I use Sibelius- you can see the music editor written next to everyone else's pieces, though).
    Actually, I just added text noting where all the music is hosted so no one gets any download surprises; it's just that Noteflight and Musescore host their own music.

That said, that's a good idea and I should add that.
    Last edited by Quarion Nailo; 2013-09-11 at 07:00 PM. Reason: Double post whoops

18. - Top - End - #348

Remove all my music. I'm redoing Miko and Durkon's themes.
    Illud quod aeternitatem iacere potest non mortuus est, ac dis peregrinis etiam mors moriatur.

D&D 3.5≠Pathfinder

19. - Top - End - #349

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by Howler Dagger View Post
    Remove all my music. I'm redoing Miko and Durkon's themes.
    You got it, chief. I look forward to seeing what you come up with.

20. - Top - End - #350

Durkon's Theme: Part 1. I'll be releasing his theme in 1-2 minute parts, probably ending with 5 parts. I'm doing this because I have various ideas that require using vastly different instrumentation, so it is easier for me to have separate parts than write the score all at once (btw, if you want to see the score for any of my pieces, just PM me).

D&D 3.5≠Pathfinder

21. - Top - End - #351

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by Howler Dagger View Post
    Durkon's Theme: Part 1. I'll be releasing his theme in 1-2 minute parts, probably ending with 5 parts. I'm doing this because I have various ideas that require using vastly different instrumentation, so it is easier for me to have separate parts than write the score all at once (btw, if you want to see the score for any of my pieces, just PM me).
    Added to OP.

22. - Top - End - #352

Will anyone object if I submit themes for characters/events that already have them?

23. - Top - End - #353

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by Drahcir View Post
    Will anyone object if I submit themes for characters/events that already have them?
    Nope, not at all. There are already several redundant themes up there (for instance, Tarquin's).

Have at it!

24. - Top - End - #354

25. - Top - End - #355

Chimera

It's really nice, I like it! What software are you using to make this?

I feel like it could use a little more melodic variation, however. You keep adding nice undertones and such, but the melody never changes. Immediately after the transition would be a great place to mix things up, or maybe even to hand off the melody to another instrument.

26. - Top - End - #356

It's really nice, I like it! What software are you using to make this?
    I'm using FL Studio, though really any editor can do that as long as you can crib soundfonts off the Internet and use them.

I feel like it could use a little more melodic variation, however. You keep adding nice undertones and such, but the melody never changes. Immediately after the transition would be a great place to mix things up, or maybe even to hand off the melody to another instrument.
    Criticism noted, thanks for the input.

EDIT: Made a few changes. Better or worse than it was before, d'you think?
    Last edited by Bovine Colonel; 2013-09-15 at 09:47 PM.

27. - Top - End - #357

Chimera

I'm using FL Studio, though really any editor can do that as long as you can crib soundfonts off the Internet and use them.

Criticism noted, thanks for the input.

EDIT: Made a few changes. Better or worse than it was before, d'you think?
    Wow, those are some really awesome changes!

Minor nitpicking: when the flute moves into a higher pitch around 0:48, it's kinda jarring (mainly because of the soundfont you're using, probably). It's not really a problem, except that the last note (which dips back low again) sounds completely asynchronous with the ones before it.

That said, I really like the addition of percussion and the handoff of the melody.

28. - Top - End - #358
    Pixie in the Playground

Hello! I've been making music for a lot less time than I've been reading OOTS, but I threw something together anyway.

Familicide
    Last edited by Todd Ingram; 2013-09-23 at 05:26 PM.

29. - Top - End - #359

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Ingram View Post
    Hello! I've been making music for a lot less time than I've been reading OOTS, but I threw something together anyway.

Familicide
    Wow, man, that's some really impressive work! I added it to the OP; definitely keep it up! It really fits the theme. What software did you use to make it?

--QN

30. - Top - End - #360
    Pixie in the Playground

I actually put it together with Garageband. I'm using a school music computer, though, so it has all the Jam Packs including Logic Pro instruments. That's how I got the fancy choir sounds.

EDIT: Just finished a Belkar theme I've been working on. Used a lot of 8-bit synths and bouncy instruments, along with some tinges of Mr. Scruffy.

Stabbytown (Belkar's Theme)
    Last edited by Todd Ingram; 2013-09-30 at 05:28 PM.