New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #271
    Halfling in the Playground

Chimera

Default Re: The OotS Soundtrack Project

Holy crap I'm back! Honestly, I'm surprised too. I've been really busy lately, doing commissions and other stuff, but looks like I'm still not past the occasional flash of genius. This song was birthed in tales of Slenderman and creepypasta, and found its way to you as Fell Ascension, or my rendition of V's nether dealings.

As always, enjoy!
    Last edited by Quarion Nailo; 2012-06-12 at 02:39 AM.

2. - Top - End - #272
    Bugbear in the Playground

That's the first time I've seen 'repeat ad nauseum' used in a score. Regardless, I like it- ominous, in a synthesized kind of way.

3. - Top - End - #273
    Pixie in the Playground

BardGuy

An Empire of Blood is a cut above the rest, and the rest are very good. The movements remind me of Dancing Mad from the Final Fantasy series. The melodies embody Tarquin's character--the deceptive villainy, the grandiose dreams, and the spontaneous pragmatism--extremely well. If this was fully orchestrated, I would buy the track in a heartbeat.

4. - Top - End - #274

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by IainGabriel View Post
    An Empire of Blood is a cut above the rest, and the rest are very good. The movements remind me of Dancing Mad from the Final Fantasy series. The melodies embody Tarquin's character--the deceptive villainy, the grandiose dreams, and the spontaneous pragmatism--extremely well. If this was fully orchestrated, I would buy the track in a heartbeat.
    People like you are why I compose.

5. - Top - End - #275
    Pixie in the Playground

Wow, I'm late in, and I consider myself a pseudo-composer so... Challenge accepted!

I just want to think what to do now... any ideas? I have nothing for Malack's theme.

6. - Top - End - #276

Quote Originally Posted by Alfredo094 View Post
    Wow, I'm late in, and I consider myself a pseudo-composer so... Challenge accepted!

I just want to think what to do now... any ideas? I have nothing for Malack's theme.
    I've already got a working draft for Malack's theme. I haven't been able to finalize for... a long time, but it's coming.

You could try something for Girard.

7. - Top - End - #277
    Barbarian in the Playground

Finally got around to uploading my music on Musescore.com, so here is where it is. I am using a separate account from my actual one, so don't expect to find my other pieces there. I was having trouble uploading Durkon's theme though.
    Illud quod aeternitatem iacere potest non mortuus est, ac dis peregrinis etiam mors moriatur.

D&D 3.5≠Pathfinder

Typhon by Kaptainkrutch. Thanks to TylerB7 for the latin

8. - Top - End - #278
    Ogre in the Playground

I've been looking into how the MsPaintAdventures people compose their stuff, and apperantly, they use something called a DAW (digital audio workstation). Anyone knows how that works?

(Also, I've been busy composing a piece, which is sadly more my real life stuff, rather than for the comic. Apologies.)

9. - Top - End - #279

DAW wikipedia. Seems more like they use it to record stuff. What program are you using Vesth? Anyway, I have been working mostly on arrangements and transcriptions lately, so I probably won't have much later. I could try adapting some of my existing works to OOTS though. I have a song for string orchestra that I would be willing to OOTS-ify. I'll link it soon.
    Illud quod aeternitatem iacere potest non mortuus est, ac dis peregrinis etiam mors moriatur.

D&D 3.5≠Pathfinder

10. - Top - End - #280
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm still using Noteflight, and my own piano + iphone to record if it's just pure piano...

But I'm interested in how others compose music, and from what I can see -

See post #68, and an article on what's good for composing (Synths...?).

Still can't figure it out though...

11. - Top - End - #281

Chimera

Hey guys,

Though I've been really busy lately, I've had time to experiment with some new software and I think it's about time I migrated from the, in retrospect, pretty crappy Noteflight.

While I haven't yet finished any new songs (they require a lot more than just popping down notes), I have started remastering some of my old songs. Starting with Elan's theme, renamed Feuding Banjos.

--QN

12. - Top - End - #282

Chimera

Next up: Fell Ascension, synth version.

13. - Top - End - #283

Chimera

Next up: one of my favorite pieces, Head to Head.

14. - Top - End - #284

Downloaded a new Soundfont for musescore, so I have gone back and re-mastered my songs, and I wrote a conversion of O-chul for string quintet.

Miko Miyazaki

O-chul (strings)

Durkon's Theme

A New Vaarsuvius

Just out of curiosity, what program are you using to compose, Quarion Nailo?

D&D 3.5≠Pathfinder

15. - Top - End - #285

Chimera

I found an old copy of Cakewalk Sonar I've had for like forever, and it's great because you can export MIDI files out of Noteflight.

(PS: Greysky City Swing)

16. - Top - End - #286

I have to say, Fell Ascenion sounds perfect on the synthesizer. The other songs sound much better, now that they aren't on noteflight. Could you, by any chance send me a MusicXML version of Greysky City swing?

D&D 3.5≠Pathfinder

17. - Top - End - #287

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by SheepInDisguise View Post
    I have to say, Fell Ascenion sounds perfect on the synthesizer. The other songs sound much better, now that they aren't on noteflight. Could you, by any chance send me a MusicXML version of Greysky City swing?
    Unfortunately, I'm now learning about music formats the hard way. I've been saving all my remastered songs as Windows WAV files, which SONAR can't read to convert into MusicXML. I don't feel like re-remastering it to get the MIDI file back, which means that I can't actually get a MusicXML file of the remaster :/

I did, however, get a MusicXML copy of the original Noteflight score, if that helps any.

Sorry about that. In the future, though, I'll be sure to save MIDI files of my remasters.

Also, can I ask what you wanted to do with the MusicXML file?
    Last edited by Quarion Nailo; 2012-08-14 at 03:04 PM.

18. - Top - End - #288

19. - Top - End - #289

Chimera

I can't really think of a good introduction, but I'm honored to present my first piece of music composed entirely in SONAR, and also the first original music I've completed in months: At the Dawn of Time, the soundtrack for the Creation of the OotSverse as well as the Order of the Scribble.

And because you guys are so awesome, and because someone asked me how I came up with my music, I've also created a timelapse video of me composing it.

I hope you guys enjoy, and as always, there'll be more to come.

20. - Top - End - #290

Quote Originally Posted by Quarion Nailo View Post
    I can't really think of a good introduction, but I'm honored to present my first piece of music composed entirely in SONAR, and also the first original music I've completed in months: At the Dawn of Time, the soundtrack for the Creation of the OotSverse as well as the Order of the Scribble.

And because you guys are so awesome, and because someone asked me how I came up with my music, I've also created a timelapse video of me composing it.

I hope you guys enjoy, and as always, there'll be more to come.
    Very nice... probably my favorite of your pieces so far.

21. - Top - End - #291
    Ogre in the Playground

Oh god! You guys are still alive! I thought this was dead when I couldn't find the thread!

Wait, what software are you guys using again? I've hit a brick wall with Reaper because I'm too busy to learn it...

22. - Top - End - #292

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by Vesth View Post
    Oh god! You guys are still alive! I thought this was dead when I couldn't find the thread!

Wait, what software are you guys using again? I've hit a brick wall with Reaper because I'm too busy to learn it...
    I'm using an old version of this to write all my songs from now on. Currently working on a Celestial theme.

EDIT: It's not freeware (unfortunately), I just had an old copy somewhere. But I'm sure someone with a slightly less scrupulous outlook might be able to find it, somewhere out there on the internets...

DISCLAIMER: QUARION NAILO DOES NOT ENDORSE TORRENTING OR OTHER P2P/FILESHARING APPLICATIONS FOR ILLEGITIMATE PURPOSES.
    Last edited by Quarion Nailo; 2012-09-02 at 04:07 PM.

23. - Top - End - #293

I (and ,I believe, Underlord) am using Musescore, which IS Freeware, and is, IMO, easy to learn.

Right now I am arranging music for String Quintet (actually forming a string quintet is step 2), so I haven't had much time for this. Plus, school started, so there goes 8 hours.

Also, Quarion, can you put the new versions of my songs if you haven't already?

D&D 3.5≠Pathfinder

24. - Top - End - #294

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by SheepInDisguise View Post
    I (and ,I believe, Underlord) am using Musescore, which IS Freeware, and is, IMO, easy to learn.

Right now I am arranging music for String Quintet (actually forming a string quintet is step 2), so I haven't had much time for this. Plus, school started, so there goes 8 hours.

Also, Quarion, can you put the new versions of my songs if you haven't already?
    I added your songs. Also, if anyone's interested, I added a brief description of the softwares we're using to the main post. Speaking of which, does anyone have anything to say about Sibelius? I've never used it.

25. - Top - End - #295

Quote Originally Posted by Quarion Nailo View Post
    I added your songs. Also, if anyone's interested, I added a brief description of the softwares we're using to the main post. Speaking of which, does anyone have anything to say about Sibelius? I've never used it.
    I use it (version 6). I have no complaints- good interface, wide variety of recognized symbols, good playback. It's not exactly perfect, but it's never been inadequate for my purposes.

26. - Top - End - #296
    Orc in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

So after putting it off for a while I finally poked my head in this thread.

Does anyone have suggestions for stuff that needs doing? I'm just starting comp classes and I could use the practice. (It would probably be like a prototype edition until I know what I'm doing tho)

Will be sure to look at the existing stuff after I get some h/w out of the way.

And I also wouldn't mind knowing what soundfont(s) work well in Musescore? I have FluidR3 (or whatever it's called) but I'm always looking for new ones.
    Last edited by Incom; 2012-09-03 at 01:12 PM.
    SSBitP
    Quote Originally Posted by Craft (Cheese) View Post
    "Creativity is the art of knowing how to hide one's sources." - Original quote, DO NOT STEAL.

27. - Top - End - #297

Quote Originally Posted by Incom View Post
    And I also wouldn't mind knowing what soundfont(s) work well in Musescore? I have FluidR3 (or whatever it's called) but I'm always looking for new ones.
    For day-to-day use I just use the standard soundfont, but for the re-masters and audio files, is use GeneralUser GS

I believe Redcloak still needs a theme, and Roy needs one dedicated to him (if you did do Roy, I would recommend including the starting melody from the piano part of Head to Head).

D&D 3.5≠Pathfinder

28. - Top - End - #298
    Orc in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Hmmm... A theme for Redcloak. Well, the obvious choice is a vaguely military minor-key march, although maybe that's a little too... Vader-y? Hints of Xykon's and Redcloak's themes and/or The Plan (I'm assuming the plan it refers to is TDO's) are probably good ideas--though it would have to be pretty original too, if it were going to get away with that.

I'll give it a shot, see what I come up with.
    SSBitP
    "Creativity is the art of knowing how to hide one's sources." - Original quote, DO NOT STEAL.

29. - Top - End - #299
    Giant in the Playground Administrator

I'm probably opening a can of worms here by posting this, but I thought it would be good to get it out there.

I'm considering holding some sort of "open call" for OOTS-themed music sometime in 2013. The details are still very fuzzy at this point, so I can't really answer any questions, but it's something I'm interested in trying. I'd probably put forth a series of categories (i.e. "Roy's Theme," "Xykon's Theme") and let people submit tracks in any or all of them, with a catch-all "Name your own theme," category. I'd select one from each category and put together an album, which we would distribute to the masses somehow (possibly involving money). Copyrights will stay with the creators, with probably some sort of distribution license for GITP.

I'm mostly telling you this because I know this stuff takes time, and I thought you might all be interested in playing around with it now. The only other thing I would add is that I don't want any lyrics; I'm looking for an instrumental soundtrack only.

So, I guess keep that in mind. Also, keep in mind that I haven't listened to any of the tracks posted here and am going to deliberately avoid doing so until then, so posting them here will in no way color my opinion, one way or the other.

(Oh, and this post is in no way a guarantee that I will get around to said project, or that I will do so in 2013, or that I won't change one or more of the ideas above. So don't hold it against me if you compose 300 hours of OOTS music and then I crap out on it. Compose at your own risk.)
    Rich Burlew

Now Available: 2023 OOTS Holiday Ornament plus a big pile of new t-shirt designs (that you can also get on mugs and stuff)!

~~You can also support The Order of the Stick and the GITP forum at Patreon.~~

30. - Top - End - #300
    Orc in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Does creepy Latin chanting and/or an "ahh" choir count? (Well, I couldn't get the Latin with the tools I have now, but it's worth asking.)

Because "Bunkus! Nonsuch! Gibberos! Gobbleygoos!" ought to be a thing.

(@everyone else: I'd call dibs on that, but I haven't even started Redcloak yet.)
    Last edited by Incom; 2012-09-08 at 10:20 PM.
    SSBitP