New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: The OotS Soundtrack Project

Sorry. I set it to that, and apparently did not save the settings. Does it work now?
    EDIT
    Quote Originally Posted by Quarion Nailo View Post
    EDIT: HOLY HELL THAT'S AMAZING!

It's simultaneously entrancing and horrifying -- perfect for the oracle. I can see why you have a career playing music
    Glad you like it- I figured that this was a perfect opportunity to bring my talent for writing random dissonant stuff to bear. I'll probably clean it up and add a real ending over the next one or two days. It's weird- normally, it takes me around a week to get anything that long. Today, I just sort of started writing and didn't actually notice how late it was until I had to turn on a light to see my keyboard. Anyways...

Once other people start contributing, perhaps there should be a sort of archive available in the first post? I imagine that it would be considerably easier to keep track of the various tracks that way (and keep people from accidentally using the same topic).
    Last edited by Othesemo; 2012-02-10 at 01:29 AM.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Dwarf in the Playground

Planetar

Does anybody know a good place to share a MIDI file? I tried using that Noteflight song, but the MIDI to website conversion process was just awful. I'm about 30s into the Sapphire Guard and just kinda feel like posting what I've got.

3. - Top - End - #63

You use finale, right? You should be able to download your song as a MusicXML file which can be imported to noteflight. I'm fairly certain that you don't need a plug-in, either.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Orc in the Playground

MindFlayer

Xykon's Theme. I'm not entirely sure violins can play that high, but oh well.

To be honest, I'm not entirely sure whether this is a very Xykon-y piece. I think it works quite well for him, but if anyone can think of a better fit for it elsewhere, let me know.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thajocoth View Post
    I wonder if, when the comic eventually ends, people on the boards will continue for several years to say that it's not actually over yet...

5. - Top - End - #65
    Dwarf in the Playground

Planetar

It's not so much an issue with importing the piece, since a MIDI can import, but keeping the piece sounding like I'm hearing it. The rhythms get all screwy, for example, and the audio plug-ins on Noteflight aren't as all encompassing as Finale's, making my timpani sound like brass and my triplets like weird sixteenth note bastardizations.

6. - Top - End - #66

Quote Originally Posted by ScubaGoomba View Post
    It's not so much an issue with importing the piece, since a MIDI can import, but keeping the piece sounding like I'm hearing it. The rhythms get all screwy, for example, and the audio plug-ins on Noteflight aren't as all encompassing as Finale's, making my timpani sound like brass and my triplets like weird sixteenth note bastardizations.
    Hm. When I entered my piece, I had to spend close to an hour getting the noteflight version to match what I had actually written. The rhythms should be fixable, though, with enough patience. As for the audio, it's definitely sub-optimal. I know that megaupload got shut down, but perhaps you could find another site which would allow you to upload a .mp3 file? Of course, the ability to see the score in noteflight is useful for critiquing.

7. - Top - End - #67
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by curtis View Post
    Xykon's Theme. I'm not entirely sure violins can play that high, but oh well.
    They can, but they can't play those chords.
    Illud quod aeternitatem iacere potest non mortuus est, ac dis peregrinis etiam mors moriatur.

D&D 3.5≠Pathfinder

Typhon by Kaptainkrutch. Thanks to TylerB7 for the latin

8. - Top - End - #68
    Dwarf in the Playground

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by Othesemo View Post
    Hm. When I entered my piece, I had to spend close to an hour getting the noteflight version to match what I had actually written. The rhythms should be fixable, though, with enough patience. As for the audio, it's definitely sub-optimal. I know that megaupload got shut down, but perhaps you could find another site which would allow you to upload a .mp3 file? Of course, the ability to see the score in noteflight is useful for critiquing.
    Not too worried about critiquing; this definitely isn't my attempt at putting forth any work I'd put into a portfolio, but just an excuse to have some fun with writing for orchestra. I'll try making it into an mp3 later this evening and putting it online somewhere if I can find a good place.

9. - Top - End - #69

Alright, I've managed to sort of finish The Oracle (it's polished and has a realish ending). I haven't exactly perfected it, but I'm more or less satisfied with where it is. I suppose I'll start considering my next piece...

How about... *goes to random oots page... Thor! I think I'll start that.

10. - Top - End - #70
    Dwarf in the Playground

Planetar

Here we go. For whatever reason, the MIDI decided to make the first note of the timpani sound like a horn but the rest is pretty much right on.

11. - Top - End - #71

Nice- I like it. It captured the feel of the Sapphire Guard well, I think.

12. - Top - End - #72

Wow, I changed my Sapphire Guard to a MIDI file and listened to it. God, the violin sounds awful.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kuulvheysoon
    The Underlord, you are clearly awesome.
    Current avatar by TinyMushroom
    Online gaming stuff
    Spoiler
    Show
    Steam profile: Triginomicon
    Smite IGN:JoJoMCFroYo

13. - Top - End - #73

Here is the beggining of Miko's Theme. Also, is it me or does the cello sound like a guitar?

I found that Music XML files import WAY better than MIDI files to Noteflight.
    Last edited by Howler Dagger; 2012-02-10 at 09:52 PM.
    Illud quod aeternitatem iacere potest non mortuus est, ac dis peregrinis etiam mors moriatur.

D&D 3.5≠Pathfinder

14. - Top - End - #74
    Orc in the Playground

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by ScubaGoomba View Post
    Here we go. For whatever reason, the MIDI decided to make the first note of the timpani sound like a horn but the rest is pretty much right on.
    Quote Originally Posted by SheepInDisguise View Post
    Here is the beggining of Miko's Theme.
    Hurrah for the Sapphire Guard, and all who dwell within! I really like these, and they match the subjects rather well.
    I wonder if, when the comic eventually ends, people on the boards will continue for several years to say that it's not actually over yet...

15. - Top - End - #75

Are we ever going to have non-noteflight performers perform our music? I hope we do, noteflight doesn't exactly sound good.

EDIT: Completed Miko's Theme! The old link shouldn't work now.
    Last edited by Howler Dagger; 2012-02-11 at 09:55 AM.

D&D 3.5≠Pathfinder

16. - Top - End - #76

Ok heres my Sapphire Guard for violin. The violin sounds pretty awful. Note to non-note flight users, MusicXML files transfger better. Edit: I'm also adding now two more parts, a harp and a (french) horn.` edit 2: So both french horn and harp are on the payed version of noteflight, so I'll upload midi files for now.
    Last edited by The Underlord; 2012-02-11 at 11:14 AM.
    Online gaming stuff
    Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #77
    Dwarf in the Playground

You guys are so amazing, I can't even believe it what I'm listening to. I actually started laughing aloud during Thog's theme and Arrrghcloak, they were so perfect.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bhu View Post
    [...] occasionally breaks into maniacal rants about menfolk, children, and the humans
    Phenomenal avatar by Fullbladder.
    Official Goblinologist of the Redcloak Fan Club. Proud supporter of Goblin Dan!
    Now, get back in line and sing along.

18. - Top - End - #78
    Orc in the Playground

MindFlayer

The God of All Puppets now has a theme. Now all we need is the call of Banjthulu...

EDIT: Oh, and imagine it on Banjos (which Noteflight does not have) instead of guitars.
    Last edited by curtis; 2012-02-13 at 08:40 AM.

19. - Top - End - #79
    Dwarf in the Playground

I do like the soundtracks, Noteflight's quality aside. Do you really have to create an account to get anything from 4share, though? Ah well.

Personally, I'd like to imagine that in Order of the Stick, background music would be diegetic, and the more genre-savvy characters would react to it. I suppose that the IFCC had the right idea in I See a Red Robe and I Want to Paint it Black.

Like, when Tarquin throws a fancy banquet, Eine Kleine Nachtmusik plays in the background. A genre-blind straight man asks where the band is, and Tarquin explains that there is no band, the music just spontaneously starts playing in the background whenever there's a hoity-toity formal banquet.

Or, just as Xykon and Redcloak are about to conduct the ritual and take control of the gate, Carmina Burana starts playing in the background, and Redcloak can make a disgusted remark about how trite it is and wish that he had anticipated it and prepared a silence spell in his daily prayers to the Dark One.

And so on...

20. - Top - End - #80

I've written a theme for Tarquin. I'm not sure it's as awesome as the rest, but I'm quite pleased with how it turned out.

EDIT: How do you get noteflight to be different instruments? Fortunately, piano fit for Tarquin, but I'd like to know in case I try anything else.
    Last edited by Jzadek; 2012-02-13 at 06:38 PM.

21. - Top - End - #81

Now all we need is the call of Banjthulu...
    Ask and ye shall receive edit: changed the website because it wasn't working before.
    Last edited by The Underlord; 2012-02-13 at 07:53 PM.
    Online gaming stuff
    Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #82

Quote Originally Posted by Jzadek View Post
    I've written a theme for Tarquin. I'm not sure it's as awesome as the rest, but I'm quite pleased with how it turned out.

EDIT: How do you get noteflight to be different instruments? Fortunately, piano fit for Tarquin, but I'd like to know in case I try anything else.
    On the left of the staff for you should be abe to click on something that makes it select the entire part. Then click on staff: Change Instrument"

Also, I can't view your piece, you neecd to change it from private to shared.

D&D 3.5≠Pathfinder

23. - Top - End - #83

Oops, thanks for pointing that out. Should work now...

24. - Top - End - #84

So, when I started Thor, I was anticipating a lively, clumsy tune with the dynamic marking 'Drunken Swells.' Actually, that's how I wrote the first five bars (albeit much faster). However, it just didn't seem... right. I didn't want to cater to the comic-relief type Thor very much- neither did the idea of the warlike Thor from the earliest strips appeal. What I finally wrote was inspired by a CD of actual norse music I've had for some time. It has some of my own twists, as is inevitable, but it largely remains faithful to the actual norse ideal (as presented by a $9.99 disc). I suppose the song is more about Thor the God than Thor the OOTS character, but that's how I wrote it (and once written, I have a very hard time doing any massive rewrites).

Second, I should explain that Noteflight does not support the French Horn unless you pay for it, so I had to use the Trombone sound. That's why it says Horn on the first line but tbn. on every other one.

But enough hyping- here it is. Thor. I might add more, or I might just cut it off there. I don't know yet.
    Last edited by Othesemo; 2012-02-13 at 07:39 PM.

25. - Top - End - #85

That Thor theme is truly awesome! I love it!

26. - Top - End - #86
    Halfling in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Othesemo View Post
    Sorry. I set it to that, and apparently did not save the settings. Does it work now?
    EDIT

Glad you like it- I figured that this was a perfect opportunity to bring my talent for writing random dissonant stuff to bear. I'll probably clean it up and add a real ending over the next one or two days. It's weird- normally, it takes me around a week to get anything that long. Today, I just sort of started writing and didn't actually notice how late it was until I had to turn on a light to see my keyboard. Anyways...

Once other people start contributing, perhaps there should be a sort of archive available in the first post? I imagine that it would be considerably easier to keep track of the various tracks that way (and keep people from accidentally using the same topic).
    I like the music for The Oracle, but I'm not feeling the connection to the Oracle. If anything, the piece feels like it represents gypsies (in a classical fantasy kind of way) or con-men (a criminal, jarring undertone as they try to serenade you). I don't find the Oracle creepy or jarring at all, he is all business besides his snark.

Titles that come to mind:
    Shyster's Serenade
    I've got a Bridge to Sell You

Nothing in comic though, Greysky was darker than this piece and Cliffport was lighter IMHO.

27. - Top - End - #87
    Orc in the Playground

MindFlayer

The Thor piece is genuinely awe-inspiring. Probably my favourite of this entire thread.

28. - Top - End - #88

Quote Originally Posted by Dr._Demento View Post
    I like the music for The Oracle, but I'm not feeling the connection to the Oracle. If anything, the piece feels like it represents gypsies (in a classical fantasy kind of way) or con-men (a criminal, jarring undertone as they try to serenade you). I don't find the Oracle creepy or jarring at all, he is all business besides his snark.

Titles that come to mind:
    Shyster's Serenade
    I've got a Bridge to Sell You

Nothing in comic though, Greysky was darker than this piece and Cliffport was lighter IMHO.
    I know what you mean, to some degree. I actually considered renaming the piece Tiamat- I finally decided on The Oracle simply because I felt that more people would recognize it. Of the piece, I only intended for the Oboe to represent the lil' kobold in purple robes (And if you listen to the oboe part alone, you'll likely find it a good bit less creepy and more... capricious). The bass line was created to be more representative of his Goddess (and would not be heard by the people actually talking to the Oracle). It's imperfect, granted, but capturing the essence of 'Snark' with an oboe is much harder than one could anticipate.

EDITED to avoid double-post

The Thor piece is genuinely awe-inspiring. Probably my favourite of this entire thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jzadek View Post
    That Thor theme is truly awesome! I love it!
    Thanks! I'm glad you guys like it.
    Last edited by Othesemo; 2012-02-14 at 09:29 PM.

29. - Top - End - #89
    Dwarf in the Playground

Ooh, wow, this is very cool! I'd like to try creating some scores too, but I've never composed before

Edit: I can also provide an alto/sop II voice if needed :v
    Last edited by Saeyan; 2012-02-15 at 11:58 PM.

I draw pictures:

(haven't been updated in a while and you can read the comic here)

30. - Top - End - #90

So I'm going to upload two minor things soon. Curtis' Banjo theme changed to banjo via Musescore(If you put in in the OP put under curtis with some note mentioning me), and an updated version of Call of Banjulhu, the main change being the electric bass is louder.
    Updated Call of Banjulhu
    Translated God of All Puppets
    edit: Fixed the link fail.
    Last edited by The Underlord; 2012-02-16 at 08:45 AM.
    Online gaming stuff
    Spoiler
    Show