New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Orc in the Playground

MindFlayer

Default Re: The OotS Soundtrack Project

Cheers Underlord! Very much liking the banjo sound, and your Call of Banjhulhu (though your link to it is hideously broken).
    Quote Originally Posted by Thajocoth View Post
    I wonder if, when the comic eventually ends, people on the boards will continue for several years to say that it's not actually over yet...

2. - Top - End - #92
    Dwarf in the Playground

Well I've never used Noteflight before, but I compose in my free time and have been looking for something new to work on. I might as well contribute to this. I saw the Empire of Blood theme on the wish list and had some ideas for it so unless someone else is already working on it (I didn't see anyone say they were in the posts I read) I will try to get something put up after work.
    Awesome avatar courtesy Cealocanth.

Spoiler
    Show
    it's a crab and a cancer... just ask the zodiac...
    At the end of the KICKSTARTER pledge drive the number of unclaimed signed packages was 69 ! It's like my signature knew all along...

3. - Top - End - #93
    Barbarian in the Playground

Any updates? I was working on a Semi-Elemental Plane of ranch theme, but it turns out the alto sax sounds terrible when changed into a midi files.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kuulvheysoon
    The Underlord, you are clearly awesome.
    Current avatar by TinyMushroom
    Online gaming stuff
    Spoiler
    Show
    Steam profile: Triginomicon
    Smite IGN:JoJoMCFroYo

4. - Top - End - #94
    Halfling in the Playground

Chimera

I've been kinda busy with schoolwork recently, but I have an idea for Haley's theme once I free my schedule up a bit.

5. - Top - End - #95

I was bored an didn't want to compose, so I wrote up this batch file for convience in case you have spotty internet or anything, so you can still listen to it. If I missed any of the credits, please let me know. Just realized I was missing Head to head's midi, so I fixed it, re-download it if you already dowloaded it before this update.
    edit 2; I'm in the process of adding a 'play all" option to play all the pieces in the menu's order without having to constantly go back and maually start the next piece.
    Last edited by The Underlord; 2012-02-19 at 05:44 PM.
    Online gaming stuff
    Spoiler
    Show

6. - Top - End - #96
    Ettin in the Playground

If you are still taking enthusiasts in I'd like to join, I'm an intermediate pianist with access to mixing equipment and one year of harmony theory.
    The Iron Avatarist Crypt of Fame - Exorcising photobucket from the historic archives of the forum.
    Go and went by many names Ast, Avgvst, Pink-Haired August, araveugnitsuga and nowadays AsteriskAmp.

7. - Top - End - #97
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jzadek View Post
    I've written a theme for Tarquin. I'm not sure it's as awesome as the rest, but I'm quite pleased with how it turned out.
    It's a nice piece but I'm not sure how well it fits Tarquin, someone who hid his true nature - this song sounds suspicious from the beginning. If you added on a cheerful/grand/cultured-sounding intro, that could help. I'm also curious what this would sound like with more of a march beat.

8. - Top - End - #98

Quote Originally Posted by araveugnitsuga View Post
    If you are still taking enthusiasts in I'd like to join, I'm an intermediate pianist with access to mixing equipment and one year of harmony theory.
    Sure, anyone can join, yo just neeed to write something. Batch file with the 'play all' option coming soon.
    Online gaming stuff
    Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #99

Quote Originally Posted by araveugnitsuga View Post
    Sure, anyone can join, yo just neeed to write something. Batch file with the 'play all' option coming soon.
    Online gaming stuff
    Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #100
    Ogre in the Playground

I'll join if you let me in.

Qualification wise, I don't have. I have very little formal training. If it helps though, I played my compositions overseas twice, once in Japan, and the other in China.

And yes, I play piano. And euphonium, though I've never composed anything out of that...

Anyway, I've recently composed a song for GITP, though I have no real theme attached to it......

11. - Top - End - #101

Who cares about qualification? You're pretty much good if you can read music. Anyone can join, there is not really a membership thing.
    Online gaming stuff
    Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #102
    Dwarf in the Playground

Planetar

Let's play a guessing game.

Q: Guess who sucks at finishing his piece for this project.

A:
    Spoiler
    Show
    This guy D:

13. - Top - End - #103

Daemon

first off, am i the only one who heard this stuff and immediately pictured playing an OOTS gameboy game?

Secondly, i love what your doing here. All of the themes feel appropriate with the following constructive criticism.

• I feel that the Greysky city theme was good but a little too upbeat to represent the city. slow the speed down to 90 and lower the tone of the oboe and its dead on.
    • Banjo's theme felt a little too much like a flamingo dance, and with him playing the banjo i pictured something more country for his theme. they may not have a banjo setting on the music maker so you might have just had to work with what you had.
    • The oracle's them felt off. The tune was good but the instruments didn't feel quite right. Again, software limitations may have been the cause.

Other than that, everything is good. I would love to hear the Saphire Guard's them with oriental instruments and everything else with a wider range of instruments. But you've definitely captured the order of the stick feel in our music.

keep up the good work, and throw in some Linear Guild and OOts character themes if you can. Thog and Roy were good and i can't wait to see V's and Z's theme.
    Last edited by avakeiya; 2012-02-21 at 06:05 AM.
    Generation 4
    The first time you see this in a signature, put it in your own signature and add one to the number. This is a social experiment.

14. - Top - End - #104

For banjo's theme, I changed it into banjo using musescore on the last post of the 3rd page.
    Online gaming stuff
    Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #105
    Ogre in the Playground

Here, my piece! :P
    A Playground Dream

It's been re-recorded, so it should sound better

I'm not sure whether to change the name of the song to:

'Heaven of Lawful-Good'...

What do you think?
    Last edited by Vesth; 2012-02-21 at 09:31 AM.

16. - Top - End - #106

I'm working on Spell-to-Spell, V vs. Z, what instrumentation do you think would be the best for the characters?
    Illud quod aeternitatem iacere potest non mortuus est, ac dis peregrinis etiam mors moriatur.

D&D 3.5≠Pathfinder

Typhon by Kaptainkrutch. Thanks to TylerB7 for the latin

17. - Top - End - #107
    Ogre in the Playground

A violin for V, maybe?

18. - Top - End - #108
    Ettin in the Playground

Finished the "Desert Trawl and Windy Canyon [Paso Doble on the Sand]". For some reason, the Midi file isn't storing volume info properly resulting in some instruments playing too loud and the clapping not being heard. Also strings stop sounding like strings and sound more like a bad synth. I'll try to get it fixed.

Now to correct the sheets so that they accurately display what's being heard...
    File
    The Iron Avatarist Crypt of Fame - Exorcising photobucket from the historic archives of the forum.
    Go and went by many names Ast, Avgvst, Pink-Haired August, araveugnitsuga and nowadays AsteriskAmp.

19. - Top - End - #109

Daemon

Quote Originally Posted by SheepInDisguise View Post
    I'm working on Spell-to-Spell, V vs. Z, what instrumentation do you think would be the best for the characters?
    Violin for V, flute for Z. Make V's part suitably complex to represent him/her, maybe multiple strings instruments and classical sounding. Go for an academic and dramatic feel, kind of like Dr. Orpheus's them from the Venture Brothers. And something simple and low tone and sinister with drums to play off Z's soft spoken and direct style and subterranean drow background.

Hope that helps
    Generation 4
    The first time you see this in a signature, put it in your own signature and add one to the number. This is a social experiment.

20. - Top - End - #110
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by avakeiya View Post
    Violin for V, flute for Z. Make V's part suitably complex to represent him/her, maybe multiple strings instruments and classical sounding. Go for an academic and dramatic feel, kind of like Dr. Orpheus's them from the Venture Brothers. And something simple and low tone and sinister with drums to play off Z's soft spoken and direct style and subterranean drow background.
    Ooh yes please drums. Timpanis everywhere!

In my head the elves (any kind) always have touches of non-standard-orchestral instruments floating about by virtue of their strange elvishness. Though you probably can't get those in Noteflight.

I retract my earlier statement about trying to write something. I tried. It's terrible. But I can still offer a voice in case someone wants to write something choral
    Last edited by Saeyan; 2012-02-22 at 09:17 PM.

I draw pictures:

(haven't been updated in a while and you can read the comic here)

21. - Top - End - #111
    Ogre in the Playground

Ok, I've done one for V. Or at least I tried to, but then I sidetracked. Somehow.

Anyway, here it is: V: Arcane Foray

Comments will be most welcome

22. - Top - End - #112

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by Vesth View Post
    Ok, I've done one for V. Or at least I tried to, but then I sidetracked. Somehow.

You'll want to go into the sharing tab in the upper right hand corner and make sure that the score is marked as public and that comments are enabled.

23. - Top - End - #113
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Quarion Nailo View Post
    You'll want to go into the sharing tab in the upper right hand corner and make sure that the score is marked as public and that comments are enabled.
    I thought I did that already...I must have forgotten to save. I've set it again to 'Anyone can view and comment on this score'.

24. - Top - End - #114
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

So, I played some of these for my fiance, and he commented that Head to Head sounds a bit like Tusk, by Fleetwood Mac. Please tell me that was on purpose for the pun.

Even that aside, I do like the way that one is put together. You've got Roy's really complicated tune, Thog's simple, goofy one, and then the two fight.

Greysky's definitely my favorite, though.

25. - Top - End - #115
    Dwarf in the Playground

I think this one was very well done. I appreciate how you pieced it together.

It also reminded me of the limitations of Noteflight, particularly the midi for the instruments. I have decided to continue working on my piece in a different program because I don't like the way the instruments on Noteflight sound. Of course this means I won't be able to share it here but... I really just don't like Noteflight.
    Awesome avatar courtesy Cealocanth.

Spoiler
    Show
    it's a crab and a cancer... just ask the zodiac...
    At the end of the KICKSTARTER pledge drive the number of unclaimed signed packages was 69 ! It's like my signature knew all along...

26. - Top - End - #116

Chimera

I thought I did that already...I must have forgotten to save. I've set it again to 'Anyone can view and comment on this score'.
    Just a tip, but the notations you're using for slurs are actually ties. It's a common mistake on Noteflight. Go into the menu with a crescendo on it, slurs should be in there.

27. - Top - End - #117
    Bugbear in the Playground

I like Arcane Foray- it fits well, I think. Also, I love the hemiola. I imagine that it would sound quite good performed live, and the parts aren't too hard. The violin one might be a bit of a pain to sightread (7th position and all), but it'd be doable by someone with, say, 4+ years playing (and good violinists are a dime a dozen).

On a related note (heh), I've been sick for the past few days, but I'm feeling better so I'll probably start something new. Does anyone have suggestions/requests, or should I just roll a d841?

28. - Top - End - #118

I'd like to see a theme for Durkon or Belkar, myself. I tried the latter, but couldn't get it to work.
    I should probably add - I'm currently working on a theme for the Snarl, and dabbling with one for Julio Scoundrel (which I'll write lyrics for, if anyone wants to sing them). Just so we don't end up with duplicates.

29. - Top - End - #119
    Ogre in the Playground

Thanks guys

Although I'm a little confused as to why no one bothered to look at the previous piece I submitted earlier: A Playground Dream. Or renamed 'Lawful Good Heaven', depending on which one fits better

30. - Top - End - #120
    Bugbear in the Playground

Loved it. Is that live piano? It's certainly higher quality than most programs can manage. Writing for solo piano is hard. You've pulled it off well.