New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: The OotS Soundtrack Project

Yes, it's live piano, because if you listen very carefully, you can hear a bit of the unwanted background, and a mistake I made while recording. Oops.

2. - Top - End - #122
    Barbarian in the Playground

Well, I've finished my theme for the Snarl. It's quite a simple piece, with not a lot going on in tandem, but that seemed to sound better than harmonising. Maybe I'm just not good at harmonising, I don't know.
    I'd originally gone for a more traditionally menacing tone, but it somehow seemed too small scale for such a threat, so I changed it to this more funereal tone, which I think fits a lot better - after all, the Snarl means the literal end of the world. The more melancholy style seemed to suit that more.
    Anyway, tell me what you think.
    Last edited by Jzadek; 2012-02-25 at 08:23 PM.

3. - Top - End - #123
    Ogre in the Playground

...wow. The first time I heard it, it was "0.o....Kinda nice, i guess, but kinda abrupt, and can use more minor chords."

The second time I heard it, it somehow sounded way better

Great job there! Maybe on page 2, where the right hand of piano comes in, bar 27, do you think it'll be better to extend the final right hand note to a minum?

4. - Top - End - #124

SamuraiGuy

Really enjoying this thread. As someone who likes the idea of character themes but has no musical talent, it's nice to see others who do.

Also, I'm kinda surprised no one's suggested this yet, but what about an O-Chul theme? Something that starts off peaceful, but has this understated wellspring of power that roars to the surface by the end? I don't know, again, not a musician, but that seems like it would work for him.

5. - Top - End - #125
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by jidasfire View Post
    Also, I'm kinda surprised no one's suggested this yet, but what about an O-Chul theme?
    Imma gonna take that, if nobody minds.

How did I not think of that?

6. - Top - End - #126
    Ogre in the Playground

Ooooo. Sounds interesting to compose...I guess the beginning will be more oriental, with a tint of pride.
    Last edited by Vesth; 2012-02-26 at 02:32 AM.

7. - Top - End - #127
    Pixie in the Playground

In 2007 when comic 445 was posted, a guy recorded a version of 'O Buddy Roy'. It seems to be available on his web page. I think it would fit in with the original compositions made now. Although, even it is available on his page, it might be a good idea to ask his permission to link to it, just to be sure he doesn't mind.

His rendition of the song was received very well on the forum, so by request he recorded two other Elan's songs, 'Won't you come leave the inn with me' and 'Bluff the stupid ogre'. Unfortunately those are not available on his web page.

8. - Top - End - #128
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rodney View Post
    In 2007 when comic 445 was posted, a guy recorded a version of 'O Buddy Roy'. It seems to be available on his web page. I think it would fit in with the original compositions made now. Although, even it is available on his page, it might be a good idea to ask his permission to link to it, just to be sure he doesn't mind.

His rendition of the song was received very well on the forum, so by request he recorded two other Elan's songs, 'Won't you come leave the inn with me' and 'Bluff the stupid ogre'. Unfortunately those are not available on his web page.
    Oooo! Fantastic! Let's all ask him together

9. - Top - End - #129

Quote Originally Posted by Jzadek View Post
    Well, I've finished my theme for the Snarl. It's quite a simple piece, with not a lot going on in tandem, but that seemed to sound better than harmonising. Maybe I'm just not good at harmonising, I don't know.
    I'd originally gone for a more traditionally menacing tone, but it somehow seemed too small scale for such a threat, so I changed it to this more funereal tone, which I think fits a lot better - after all, the Snarl means the literal end of the world. The more melancholy style seemed to suit that more.
    Anyway, tell me what you think.
    You are aware the will NOT sound like it does in noteflight if you were to play in in real-life, due to two things:

1.If you intend on only having 1 cellist and 1 violin, the chords would have to be played in broken style. Otherwise, you will need 3 cellists and three violinists
    2. It would be very difficult to play those ties/slurs, and would most likely be ignored. In addition, at measure 44 you have a half note followed by 2 quarter notes, all the same notes, so it would be played as a whole notes, when I presume you want them to be played separately.

Working on Spell-to-Spell, and I think I may grab Roy's theme. I am thinking guitar and maybe a bass guitar for Roy.
    Illud quod aeternitatem iacere potest non mortuus est, ac dis peregrinis etiam mors moriatur.

D&D 3.5≠Pathfinder

Typhon by Kaptainkrutch. Thanks to TylerB7 for the latin

10. - Top - End - #130

I am. But this was written to sound like I wanted it in noteflight, rather than real life. The cello part would be played on an organ, while the violin would be on bagpipes. However, those instruments do not exist on noteflight, so I used what sounded most like them. After all, the noteflight cello and violin sound very much unlike they would in real life.
    Last edited by Jzadek; 2012-02-26 at 05:36 PM.

11. - Top - End - #131

Yeah, I did that in Thor with the horns. Perhaps you could change the name of the instrument on the first line? It won't change the sound, but it should alleviate confusion.

12. - Top - End - #132

Ah, good point. I should have done that. Doing so now.

13. - Top - End - #133
    Ogre in the Playground

Hey! Good news! Our friend has replied!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Hi Vesth,
    * *I just skimmed the thread about oots soundtracks. *I think
    it's a great idea. *I haven't had time to listen to any of them yet,
    though. *Please feel free to link to my recording. *All I ask is that
    you give me attribution for it.
    * *By the way, I removed the other recordings I made because
    they weren't very good. *Even 'O Buddy Roy' is just me singing into
    a cheap mike with no accompaniment and very little rehearsal.
    I can do much better. *If there is interest, I might be able to
    put something else together.
    * * * * * * * *-Philip Engdahl

Can Quarion put his song on the front page? With credits, of course :P
    Also, may as well, Quarion, can you put my 'The Playground Dream' too? Or 'Lawful Good Heaven', but no one seems interested enough to comment :S

14. - Top - End - #134
    Halfling in the Playground

Chimera

There's no way I'm letting this thread die this easily

I've finished my next song, The Empire of Blood. In retrospect, it's probably more fitting for Tarquin.

Now, the transitions are pretty abrupt and the time signatures are a bit funky, so I probably will still do some improving on this one.

Let me know what you think!

15. - Top - End - #135

Sweet. Definitely my favorite of your pieces. If we may record only one piece live, it needs to be that one.

16. - Top - End - #136

The Empire of Blood piece is really good. I've been listening to that a lot today.
    The above posts may will contain varying amounts of egotism.

And so will this signature. Come visit my Youtube channel here.

17. - Top - End - #137
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, I guess it's my turn

I present to you: Actually, I don't know what the heck this is...

You see, when I heard there was a request for the O-chul theme, I experimented a bit, and 2 things happened.

1) Someone else officially took it.
    2) The music went in a completely different direction.

So as of now, I have no idea what to name this song, or what it represents.
    A little help would be appreciated

18. - Top - End - #138

Daemon

Quote Originally Posted by Vesth View Post
    Well, I guess it's my turn
    So as of now, I have no idea what to name this song, or what it represents.
    A little help would be appreciated
    First off, this is now my favorite song of the batch. I love the multiple instruments, the way they blend and compliment each other, and the way the song just made me feel good after listening.

This song clearly represents a good character or theme, but i feel it's not right for a warrior's theme, or a character's theme at all. It feels more like setting's music, the only one that immediately came to mind being the Celestial Plane when Roy is getting judged and then ascends the mountain to be with his family. Its not too serious or lighthearted, and the choice of instruments feels right for a good aligned afterlife.

The A Playground's Dream comes close but seems a bit solemn for a heavenly theme and in my opinion fits better as the Secret Lore of the Sapphire Guard's music. I can just imagine Shojo's narration and still-image montage accompanied by the song.
    Last edited by avakeiya; 2012-03-01 at 08:11 AM.
    Generation 4
    The first time you see this in a signature, put it in your own signature and add one to the number. This is a social experiment.

19. - Top - End - #139
    Orc in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

Ooh, I love the idea of this thread. I can't believe I never saw this before. As someone with a lot of musical experience who isn't going to music as a career, I could have a lot of fun with this. Thank you for pointing me towards Noteflight, by the way! I've been looking for a software that lets me arrange music so I could try writing some stuff for fun, and now I can.

Due to the awesome inspiration that comes from finding something new and exciting, I've quickly cobbled this together. It's nowhere near a final product, but it essentially outlines what I imagine Nale's Leitmotif to be and, consequently, Elan's Leitmotif, which is that second bit after the key change. Clever musicians should be able to figure out how the two are related.

If no one's already grabbed Elan's Theme, I would like to expand on this quite a bit - perhaps by writing something about one of Elan and Nale's conflicts, like the Cliffport arc.

20. - Top - End - #140

Daemon

I like it Alagaesian. It shows great potential feels appropriate for Nale and Elan.

I can't wait to hear the completed version.
    Generation 4
    The first time you see this in a signature, put it in your own signature and add one to the number. This is a social experiment.

21. - Top - End - #141
    Ogre in the Playground

...darn it. I was secretly working on Elan's theme. Oh well, I see whether it'll be able to fit Giggles

Thanks Avakeiya!
    I'll rename the songs when I'm able!

22. - Top - End - #142

I'm giving up on spell-to-spell. I cant figure out what this is supposed to be.
    Illud quod aeternitatem iacere potest non mortuus est, ac dis peregrinis etiam mors moriatur.

D&D 3.5≠Pathfinder

23. - Top - End - #143

Daemon

Quote Originally Posted by SheepInDisguise View Post
    I'm giving up on spell-to-spell. I cant figure out what this is supposed to be.
    Its nice. I feel that it's too slow paced for an intense battle theme, but i like the dark and serious tone.

It sounds to me like a good theme for Elan and V's argument after he/she zaps Kubota. Or just crackle-skinned/trance-deprived Varsuvius's theme.

Add in a few more string instrumnts, a deep drum beat, quicken the pace a bit, and throw in some fake-Latin chanting and it could become Darth V's theme. Look at FF7's One Winged Angle or Vader's Imperial March for inspiration if you go that rout.

Hope that helps
    Generation 4

24. - Top - End - #144

Really? To me, this really speaks of V in her current state - horrified at her past actions, and trying to atone for them. Amidst the darkness in it, there is a faint element of hope in those chords. Either way, it's unmistakeably V.

25. - Top - End - #145
    Ogre in the Playground

Sorry- as much as I want to open that file and listen to it, my anitvirus claims it's a virus, and thus prevents me from opening it

Anyway, Quarion, can you add Celestial Melody and change "Lawful Good Heaven" to "Shojo's Sanctum"?

26. - Top - End - #146

I'm curious on how many string instruments you think there are, because while I composed it in musescore, it almost sounds like I wrote it in noteflight. Current tempo is eight note=144, and trying to speed it up doesnt fit very well. Right now I am trying 166. I did intentionally write it in e minor for a more discordant tone (that eight not pattern you keep hearing? E minor arpeggios), and looking at it I can see how it could be a V piece.

Also, Miko's Theme should be in the OP.
    Last edited by Howler Dagger; 2012-03-02 at 09:58 PM.

D&D 3.5≠Pathfinder

27. - Top - End - #147

Daemon

I'm no music expert SheepInDisguise, just a random comic fan tossing out my 2 cents. You CLEARLY have more expertise on the subject, and the piece sounds really good as it is, so go with what works for you. Like I said it works as a perfect V's Descent theme (I suck at naming stuff ).

Also, kudos on the names Vesth, glad my ramblings helped
    Generation 4

28. - Top - End - #148
    Ettin in the Playground

I didn't realise this thread existed until today.
    Finally an excuse to try out music composition again!

Anyway, after messing around with Noteflight for a brief duration, this is what I came up with:
    http://www.noteflight.com/scores/vie...97416b1986f131
    It's supposed to be inspired by the last couple of panels in the latest strip, but it doesn't really live up to my original expectations.
    Mauve Shirt, Savannah, Gnomish Wanderer, Cuthalion and Smuchmuch get cookies for making me avatars. (::)
    (::) Current avatar by Smuchmuch (::)

Co Founder of LUTAS - For all your less than useful heroes out there.

My Deviant Art. Careful, it's full of ponies.

Dragons!

29. - Top - End - #149
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by avakeiya View Post
    I'm no music expert SheepInDisguise, just a random comic fan tossing out my 2 cents. You CLEARLY have more expertise on the subject, and the piece sounds really good as it is, so go with what works for you. Like I said it works as a perfect V's Descent theme (I suck at naming stuff ).

Also, kudos on the names Vesth, glad my ramblings helped
    And thank you for the ideas

30. - Top - End - #150
    Ogre in the Playground

Ok! My score is up! I present to you: Mirth! for Giggles!

Quote Originally Posted by Elemental View Post
    I didn't realise this thread existed until today.
    Finally an excuse to try out music composition again!

Anyway, after messing around with Noteflight for a brief duration, this is what I came up with:
    http://www.noteflight.com/scores/vie...97416b1986f131
    It's supposed to be inspired by the last couple of panels in the latest strip, but it doesn't really live up to my original expectations.
    Hey, this has a lot of potential! Keep it up!

If you're stuck though, I can offer some inspiration. DON'T look if you rather not taint your music with mine
    Spoiler
    Show
    This is an expansion of your current song. I would add more, but it's your music