New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: The OotS Soundtrack Project

So, I've been working on O-Chul. I like what I have so far, but I don't have too much. I've probably scrapped everything I had a few times so far- that sort of quiet strength he seems to characterize is difficult to capture. I should have it ready soon.

On an unrelated note, would anybody be interested in recording any of the pieces? I'm not sure how we'd manage to do it over the internet (perhaps by recording 1 part at a time, each part recorded over all of the previous ones?), but it'd be fun to try. I think a few people have volunteered to play so far- is there a list anywhere?

2. - Top - End - #182
    Ogre in the Playground

If you want, I might be able to fill in some of the instruments for recording - I'm in a band, and I might be able to pull a few favors

3. - Top - End - #183
    Halfling in the Playground

Daemon

Quote Originally Posted by Othesemo View Post
    So, I've been working on O-Chul. I like what I have so far, but I don't have too much. I've probably scrapped everything I had a few times so far- that sort of quiet strength he seems to characterize is difficult to capture. I should have it ready soon.
    I'd suggest listening to Frog's Theme from Chrono Trigger for inspiration on O-Chul's song. The character is a strong, noble warrior with a theme that isn't too flashy yet regal sounding. When I read about O-Chul in the comics i imagined this song accompanying him and I feel that something similar would fit O-Chul perfectly.

Hope this helps inspire you
    Generation 4
    The first time you see this in a signature, put it in your own signature and add one to the number. This is a social experiment.

4. - Top - End - #184
    Barbarian in the Playground

I could get a violin, viola, cello, bass, electric versions of the previous, a piano, and MAYBE a trombone.
    Illud quod aeternitatem iacere potest non mortuus est, ac dis peregrinis etiam mors moriatur.

D&D 3.5≠Pathfinder

Typhon by Kaptainkrutch. Thanks to TylerB7 for the latin

5. - Top - End - #185

Chimera

I can get a viola, or a violin if I transcribe it in alto clef. Also possibly a cello, piano, or drums.

6. - Top - End - #186

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by avakeiya View Post
    I'd suggest listening to Frog's Theme from Chrono Trigger for inspiration on O-Chul's song. The character is a strong, noble warrior with a theme that isn't too flashy yet regal sounding. When I read about O-Chul in the comics i imagined this song accompanying him and I feel that something similar would fit O-Chul perfectly.

Hope this helps inspire you
    Another good choice would be Cyan from Final Fantasy 6. He has a lot in common with Frog, including the archaic speech patterns, but with a somewhat more Eastern feel to him.

7. - Top - End - #187

Chimera

I was thinking, why don't we split this into two threads: one for composing (The Soundtrack Project) and one for performing (The Orchestra Project)?

8. - Top - End - #188
    Orc in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

Tuba and trombone player right here, which would be more useful if more people used low brass in their compositions. Oh well. The other problem with me is that it won't be easy for me to get access to decent recording equipment unless a Rockband microphone counts.

9. - Top - End - #189
    Bugbear in the Playground

Well... I did have trombone in Thor. I'm also making O-Chul a low brass ensemble. Though I agree, tubas do need more love.

10. - Top - End - #190
    Orc in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

Ooh, I always imagined O-chul's theme would be heavy in the brass area. I just can't imagine him being represented by the pianos/guitars/violins/basses that a majority of people here like to compose to. That's not so say that pianos/guitars/violins/basses don't each have their strong points, but the Firebird finale wouldn't be the same without a tuba.

Also, I've decided to extend the Nale/Elan project to go up to strip 400. I'm not finished writing out the Cliffport arc yet, but I have started piecing something together for Aboard the Mechane. I planned for it to be a tongue-in-cheek Pirates of the Caribbean homage set to a retooled Elan's theme, but once I started piecing together the brass lines for it, it started sounding less piratey and more regal. Any pointers from the marvelously talented musicians of this thread? I know I'm already fighting an uphill battle because most of PotC music is set to a minor key, while Elan's is set to a major one.

11. - Top - End - #191

I just want to say a Wow and a Thankyou to all of you who contribute to this project!

12. - Top - End - #192

Comments on A New Vaarsuvius please? Alse, I support having separate threads. In the Media, their is a GITP band project going on, we might want to hijack investigate that.
    Illud quod aeternitatem iacere potest non mortuus est, ac dis peregrinis etiam mors moriatur.

D&D 3.5≠Pathfinder

13. - Top - End - #193
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Alagaesian View Post
    Ooh, I always imagined O-chul's theme would be heavy in the brass area. I just can't imagine him being represented by the pianos/guitars/violins/basses that a majority of people here like to compose to. That's not so say that pianos/guitars/violins/basses don't each have their strong points, but the Firebird finale wouldn't be the same without a tuba.
    Composing in those instruments is mainly due to two reasons. Tessiture; guitar, piano, violin and bass simply have Tessitura: YES, meaning one does not have to look at the limits, comfort zones or limit to note holding while writing, it's a lot easier (which now that I have to write for an orchestra is hell, since I have to keep checking the piccolo's range and best sounding zone, and I haven't even dwelt on the wholeness of most of the wind section). The other one is midi sound, winds are probably the worst instrument sounds in midi, their sound is unnatural because it lack the usual modulation, varying strength and note transitioning. As such, hearing what you've just written be played out in such a way, may nudge you toward changing the instrument (like I did for Sandstorm, it's supposed to open with a trumpet, but a violin sounds better in midi).

Also, I've decided to extend the Nale/Elan project to go up to strip 400. I'm not finished writing out the Cliffport arc yet, but I have started piecing something together for Aboard the Mechane. I planned for it to be a tongue-in-cheek Pirates of the Caribbean homage set to a retooled Elan's theme, but once I started piecing together the brass lines for it, it started sounding less piratey and more regal. Any pointers from the marvelously talented musicians of this thread? I know I'm already fighting an uphill battle because most of PotC music is set to a minor key, while Elan's is set to a major one.
    You could try a modulation to either the relative minor of the key you are using, or using the minor of your root as the new key. Or you could run the minor theme transposed to your root's minor and ignore the key signature's accidentals and use your original root's key signature's instead (with some minor editing so that it doesn't sound rather off since it's not a perfect method [though very useful for some jazz renditions]).

For the regal sound, it's normally the product of the brass being too high above the accompaniment in volume and pitch, if you lower the brass somewhat and heighten the strings volume and pitch (I assume since that's what the Pirates of the Caribbeans accompaniment and melody is made of). Also, percussion has a heavy roll in the sound of it, it has a march-line like cadence and it's what makes it sound less like a string concert and more action movie like. Making it louder could solve some of the issues.
    Last edited by AsteriskAmp; 2012-03-06 at 07:24 PM.
    The Iron Avatarist Crypt of Fame - Exorcising photobucket from the historic archives of the forum.
    Go and went by many names Ast, Avgvst, Pink-Haired August, araveugnitsuga and nowadays AsteriskAmp.

14. - Top - End - #194
    Ogre in the Playground

Tuba and trombone player right here, which would be more useful if more people used low brass in their compositions. Oh well. The other problem with me is that it won't be easy for me to get access to decent recording equipment unless a Rockband microphone counts.
    Well, I would be using Tuba if not for the fact that it's Cresendo only

Hey, what about euphonium, darn it!

15. - Top - End - #195
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Vesth View Post
    Well, I would be using Tuba if not for the fact that it's Cresendo only

Hey, what about euphonium, darn it!
    What about the theremin!
    In all fairness, the euphonium is not an orchestra instrument (though technically neither is the piano).
    The Iron Avatarist Crypt of Fame - Exorcising photobucket from the historic archives of the forum.
    Go and went by many names Ast, Avgvst, Pink-Haired August, araveugnitsuga and nowadays AsteriskAmp.

16. - Top - End - #196
    Ogre in the Playground

Hey, at least the euphonium is a staple in every symphonic band! I really don't get why do few people know about it even though it's everywhere if you look hard enough. The theremin? Never heard of it. Until I had to google it

17. - Top - End - #197
    Ettin in the Playground

Hey, at least the euphonium is a staple in every symphonic band! I really don't get why do few people know about it even though it's everywhere if you look hard enough. The theremin? Never heard of it. Until I had to google it
    It looks like a tuba, so most people won't really bother asking what it is. It's one of those doomed to be forgotten instruments, since it isn't orchestral, but not notable enough elsewhere.

The Theremin on the other hand is a wonderful niche instruments fun for both engineers and musicians alike.

18. - Top - End - #198

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by araveugnitsuga View Post
    It looks like a tuba, so most people won't really bother asking what it is. It's one of those doomed to be forgotten instruments, since it isn't orchestral, but not notable enough elsewhere.

The Theremin on the other hand is a wonderful niche instruments fun for both engineers and musicians alike.
    The first electronic instrument (That gives you carpal tunnel syndrome playing it). It uses the human body's magnetic properties if I remember correctly.

19. - Top - End - #199
    Ogre in the Playground

...I'm a euphonium player myself...so....

INJUSTICE, I SAY! INJUSTICE!

20. - Top - End - #200
    Ettin in the Playground

Agreed. There are a number of awesome instruments out there that aren't used enough because they aren't part of a standard orchestra.
    Prime example being the euphonium.

Also, I play tenor saxophone and piano, but I won't be able to help you with an orchestral project because I completely lack recording equipment.
    Last edited by Elemental; 2012-03-06 at 10:54 PM.
    Mauve Shirt, Savannah, Gnomish Wanderer, Cuthalion and Smuchmuch get cookies for making me avatars. (::)
    (::) Current avatar by Smuchmuch (::)

Co Founder of LUTAS - For all your less than useful heroes out there.

My Deviant Art. Careful, it's full of ponies.

Dragons!

21. - Top - End - #201
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by araveugnitsuga View Post
    Composing in those instruments is mainly due to two reasons. Tessiture; guitar, piano, violin and bass simply have Tessitura: YES, meaning one does not have to look at the limits, comfort zones or limit to note holding while writing, it's a lot easier (which now that I have to write for an orchestra is hell, since I have to keep checking the piccolo's range and best sounding zone, and I haven't even dwelt on the wholeness of most of the wind section). The other one is midi sound, winds are probably the worst instrument sounds in midi, their sound is unnatural because it lack the usual modulation, varying strength and note transitioning. As such, hearing what you've just written be played out in such a way, may nudge you toward changing the instrument (like I did for Sandstorm, it's supposed to open with a trumpet, but a violin sounds better in midi).

You could try a modulation to either the relative minor of the key you are using, or using the minor of your root as the new key. Or you could run the minor theme transposed to your root's minor and ignore the key signature's accidentals and use your original root's key signature's instead (with some minor editing so that it doesn't sound rather off since it's not a perfect method [though very useful for some jazz renditions]).

For the regal sound, it's normally the product of the brass being too high above the accompaniment in volume and pitch, if you lower the brass somewhat and heighten the strings volume and pitch (I assume since that's what the Pirates of the Caribbeans accompaniment and melody is made of). Also, percussion has a heavy roll in the sound of it, it has a march-line like cadence and it's what makes it sound less like a string concert and more action movie like. Making it louder could solve some of the issues.
    Personally I think brass instruments sound the worst in midi form. Winds are pretty bad too, but the brass instruments sound so cheesy and unnatural. It's hard to get the epic sound you hear in orchestral pieces when midi is playing it out.
    Awesome avatar courtesy Cealocanth.

Spoiler
    Show
    it's a crab and a cancer... just ask the zodiac...
    At the end of the KICKSTARTER pledge drive the number of unclaimed signed packages was 69 ! It's like my signature knew all along...

22. - Top - End - #202
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by CloakedDancer View Post
    Personally I think brass instruments sound the worst in midi form. Winds are pretty bad too, but the brass instruments sound so cheesy and unnatural. It's hard to get the epic sound you hear in orchestral pieces when midi is playing it out.
    Language misuse of me, all of the wind based instruments, both metal (brass) and wooden ones, sound bad in midi, metal suffer the most though.

23. - Top - End - #203
    Orc in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

I can also play euphonium - it's kind of hard not to when you can play both tuba and trombone - but I just can't get access to one to play for anything. My personal suspicion on why euph's haven't been put in orchestras is because their upper range can be covered by a horn and their lower range can be covered by a tuba, so there really is no use for them there. In a band, there are no cellos, violas, or basses, meaning that there is now a requirement for more middle- and lower-range sound, and as such, the tubas get delegated to playing down low and the euphoniums can come in to make up for the weakness of the middle voices.

Saxophones are also not generally used in orchestras, but considering that they are very common in jazz bands, they at least have somewhere else to play. Euphs, on the other hand, aren't common in jazz bands either.

EDIT: Oh, and I totally agree that wind instruments (any instrument that requires breathing into it to produce sound, as opposed to simply woodwinds) can sound horrible in midi, it's just that I believe strings sound just as bad at times. Just as different bowing techniques, rosin amounts, and other factors contribute to the timbre of a string's sound, different lip and throat positions can change the timbre of a wind's sound. In Noteflight, I can often hear the different instrument samples change sound-production techniques between two consecutive notes, then back again in the next note. It isn't just the oboe or the trombone, it's in the string sections as well! It annoys me a little, but it hasn't driven me completely nuts...yet.
    Last edited by Alagaesian; 2012-03-09 at 10:29 AM.

24. - Top - End - #204

Quote Originally Posted by SheepInDisguise View Post
    So here is A New Vaarsuvius, in musescore style. Changes include a title, a timpani, and increased tempo.
    Am I the only one that can't listen to .flac files?
    Quote Originally Posted by Kuulvheysoon
    The Underlord, you are clearly awesome.
    Current avatar by TinyMushroom
    Online gaming stuff
    Spoiler
    Show
    Steam profile: Triginomicon
    Smite IGN:JoJoMCFroYo

25. - Top - End - #205
    Orc in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

You were not the only one. I say "were" because I just downloaded a bit of software that lets me listen to them...darnit, I can't remember where I got it from now!

Anyways, I really have no complaints about a New Vaarsuvius other than that it sounds a bit repetitive. You could revise this by varying up the accompaniment lines between repeats of the melody, throwing a few extra surprises into it, or possibly doing some more extensive theme-and-variation. Other than that, it sounds like a nice fit for the new V: determined, and a somewhat-tragic-but-not-overly-so feel to it. Somehow I imagined that V's themes would feel a tad more complex than this, but this will probably be fixed if you make each repeat of the melody slightly different from the ones before and after.

26. - Top - End - #206

Version 1.1 of ANV! I'm in agreement that the MIDI files are driving me insane, which is why I changed to FLAC.

A few notes on the new version:
    I changed the second repetition of the melody to be quite different than before, because it used to be a direct repeat of the first.

I changed the viola part on the third repetition, but I am not quite sure I like it.
    Last edited by Howler Dagger; 2012-03-09 at 10:54 PM.

D&D 3.5≠Pathfinder

27. - Top - End - #207
    Ogre in the Playground

Since nothing's happened for a while, I'm just gonna post An experiment I made to test out how a guitar would feel

Any chance of this fitting into OOTS?

28. - Top - End - #208

Daemon

Since nothing's happened for a while, I'm just gonna post An experiment I made to test out how a guitar would feel

Any chance of this fitting into OOTS?
    Hmm....

It feels like an ominous theme, perhaps not suited for a battle but a high tension calm before the storm situation.

At first i thought that it could represent Eugene Greenhilt, but it would have been too elaborate for someone like him.

After hearing it a second time it seems like it could work for Mama Black Dragon's theme, for when she first appears then goes into her backstory and reveal of her intent to kill V's kids.

A third hearing made me think of Tarquin's "If I lose I get to be a legend" speech. It has a nice build up to the dramatic reveal and the switch between guitar and piano in the beginning would fit well for a back and forth between him and Elan.

Or maybe it could be the "200ft tall flaming letter" themes. It seems to fit well in that respect as well for the same reason.

My final suggestion would be V's realization theme after witnessing the draketooth massacre. Nice slow beginning, just looking around the room, then BAM!!!-He sees the mural and freaks out, and the rest of the song would fit his explanation of the effects of familicide.

Hope that helps
    Generation 4
    The first time you see this in a signature, put it in your own signature and add one to the number. This is a social experiment.

29. - Top - End - #209
    Orc in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

It doesn't really sound ominous to me - sure, there's some tension involved, but it's not nearly dark enough for the 200-foot-flaming-letters or Familicide kind of thing in my opinion.

I personally think it would make a nice theme for Shojo - all seems ordinary at first, and then it gets a bit more complicated and tense, but the major, regal-sounding chords at the end are enough to remind everyone that though he's done some questionable things, he's still a good guy in the end.

30. - Top - End - #210

Quote Originally Posted by SheepInDisguise View Post
    Version 1.1 of ANV! I'm in agreement that the MIDI files are driving me insane, which is why I changed to FLAC.

A few notes on the new version:
    I changed the second repetition of the melody to be quite different than before, because it used to be a direct repeat of the first.

I changed the viola part on the third repetition, but I am not quite sure I like it.
    That is genuinely awesome! My favourite so far!