New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 44 of 49 FirstFirst ... 1934353637383940414243444546474849 LastLast
Results 1,291 to 1,320 of 1446
  1. - Top - End - #1291
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: [Nexus] AMEN XLIII: REVOLUTION!

Ilpholin's Office - Shayan

Shayan coughs lightly into a fist, blushing somewhat, "That is rather worse than I thought. You're right in that I should have informed you or another member before leaving for Riverside in search of test subjects. If you'd like a rough time since he took the sub, it would have been around 4:00PM yesterday that I met him." Shayan attempts a sort of awkward bowing at the waist using her vines, but her knees end up buckling, causing it to come out wrong. The intent is one of penance.

"My apologies for losing my head in what proved to be a critical situation."
    Julie, everyone's nth favorite succubus, by Gulaghar.
    An amazing Misha, Mimi, and Riss painting done by Ofride.
    For anyone in plots run by me, know that I always tailor solutions to those in the plot. The answer may not be obvious, but it's there, and doable by the displayed abilities of the present characters. If you need help or hints, I'll try to be available to provide them.

2. - Top - End - #1292
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Ilpholin's Office - Cyrus

Cyrus manages to maintain his smile through Ilpholin's withering put-downs! Flicking his wrist, he conjures a pen, which proceeds to begin filling out the form. As the pen works its way down the page, he speaks.

"I had no idea you thought of me so poorly, Miss. I was under the impression that Gordon and Prometheus were the only ones blind enough to truly believe that I was their peon, to be pointed in a direction and given a task.

Still, I suppose you had bigger concerns on your mind at the time than my relationship with my so-called 'superiors,' and I also suppose that you did not spend much time watching me as I interacted with them. If you have been interviewing people, however, I assume you have a normal questioning routine? Once that is finished, I will gladly explain anything that needs clarity. I assure you, there is no reason for us to be hostile with one another."

Cyrus stops speaking and smiles once more as the sound of penscratching finally ceases.

"Ah, and that would be the form you asked me to fill out. Please, go ahead and read it."

The pen dematerializes as the paper floats in Ilpholin's direction.

Name: Cyrus Ahu, Parun of Rakdos, Seventh Flame of Arcanum
    Sex: Male.
    Species: Human (Ageless)
    Profession: Sorcerer
    Reason for joining AMEN: The truth? Purpose. Eternity is a long time to spend bored.
    Special skills/items you believe will aid/have decided to contribute to AMEN: I am a Sorcerer of some renown and power, have legions of the Undead and Demons at my beck and call, and can channel both Black and Red mana freely. I am also an Artificer of undeniable skill, capable of forging magical items of varied, powerful, and creative effects.
    References (Victims preferred): Here in the Nexus? Hmm... The entire population of Distraction Street (Victims. There were deaths in the hundreds, and more displaced from their homes and injured), Jacob of Watchtower (Old Rival, Surpassed long ago), Karyana and Rael Kyros (Former Business Associates), Dam'Bul (Victim, Murdered temporarily after he got on my bad side), many, many more that my player can't remember off the top of his head.
    Past Experience: One hundred years as an Archmage of Arcanum, Fifty years of unofficially organizing, manipulating, and managing the Cult of Rakdos, an organization that controls just over 1/10th of an entire plane of existence, Eighty years of roaming the Multiverse searching for greater Arcane knowledge and power, as well as seeking mighty creatures and men to test my mettle against.

3. - Top - End - #1293
    Halfling in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Reinholdt View Post
    Ilpholin's Office -> Halls

And so Ilpholin steps out of the office for a moment to look for three people.

Magtok and Megan, both top of the line mechanical engineers. And Jack, wizard with a soul fetish.
    Jack steps free of a wall in the main room, a strange looking lantern dangling by a short chain from his belt. He steadies this item and puts his hands on his hips, looking around for something interesting.

Ilpholin, for instance.

"Hey Ilphy. How're things?"
    My avatar was done by Gullara. Thanks again!

"If you meet a spirit walking,
    Incline your head.
    Do not meet their gaze.
    Do not follow after."

-Things Our Mothers Tell Us

Nexus Characters

4. - Top - End - #1294
    Ogre in the Playground

"Well you have the attitude right at least." Ilpholin says. Whether Shayan was truly unaware that it was Gordon remains to be seen. "But punishment really is pointless here. I had hoped to talk to him next time he was spotted, but it seems that's going to have to wait."

"How is your project progressing?"

Main Room - Jack

"They're alright. I was just looking for you in fact. I have a project involving digging down to the underworld to collect souls that could use your expertise."

Withering... put-downs? Are we reading the same thing?
    Definite hostility though.

Cyrus presumes much, and Ilpholin's not going to bother correcting him on anything.

What she does do is take the form and turn it face down without reading it.
    "I'll repeat. I hope you're thoroughly ready to provide an extremely convincing argument as to why you should be allowed to stay here." I think she's interested in that part first.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Magtok View Post
    Gods, Reinholdt was right, a hundred percent right.
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Quote Originally Posted by Supagoof View Post
    Tale as old as thread
    And you find yourself dead
    Reinholdt was the Beast
    Quote Originally Posted by Philistine View Post
    Reinholdt had already told the truth once in that post, and therefore was over his annual quota.

5. - Top - End - #1295

Ilpholin's Office -> Halls

And so Ilpholin steps out of the office for a moment to look for three people.

Magtok and Megan, both top of the line mechanical engineers. And Jack, wizard with a soul fetish.
    Halls Luckily enough, Megan is going through the halls. And by going through the halls, I mean she's currently on the back of a bigger version of the mecho-panthers that guard the halls of AMEN. She is having quite a bit of fun with it.
    Mindfreak by...I don't quite know who
    Nexus Characters | Pokemon RPG Rules
    Busy with Life

6. - Top - End - #1296

"Well you have the attitude right at least." Ilpholin says. Whether Shayan was truly unaware that it was Gordon remains to be seen. "But punishment really is pointless here. I had hoped to talk to him next time he was spotted, but it seems that's going to have to wait."

"How is your project progressing?"

Shayan's mood seems to pick up at the mention of her project, and she straightens herself somewhat awkwardly.

"Far better than I could have possibly hoped. While in the Riverside hospital, looking for volunteers, I ran into a professor who expressed interest in my work. We spoke over dinner, and afterwards ran some scans that I previously did not have access to. I can write you up a full report of my findings, but the end result is a far greater understanding of how the implantation process works. I have full confidence that if you were to ask me to perform it on you right now you would make a full recovery, with no harmful effects." Not that Shayan expects Ilpholin to take her up on that offer, she's merely demonstrating how much confidence she has in her newfound knowledge.

"The professor, by the name of Cin, has come back to AMEN with me to continue the research here and I believe he's expressed an interest in becoming AMEN's personal physician. He's waiting outside, if you'd like me to show him in. Oh, I should mention that he seems to be an acquaintance of Lord Magtok, or at least they've kept some correspondence as far as I can tell." Best not to leave anything out, after her mistake with Gordon. The fact that Cin and Shayan are perhaps less than professional together is merely incidental, and can be brought up another time.

"If he is accepted, I have plans to assist him in the tending and care of wounded and ill AMENites, which will require medical equipment somewhat beyond my means to purchase. If funding such a purchase is an issue, we may have to get creative in finding supplies illegitimately." Stealing from defunct hospitals springs to mind, so long as they have someone on hand to deal with all the horrors.
    For anyone in plots run by me, know that I always tailor solutions to those in the plot. The answer may not be obvious, but it's there, and doable by the displayed abilities of the present characters. If you need help or hints, I'll try to be available to provide them.

7. - Top - End - #1297
    Ogre in the Playground

Ilpholin blinks a bit. Actually tending to the ill and wounded? At AMEN? Is that... is that even allowed?

"Very well. I'll talk to him shortly. Should we take him on, we'll fund some of the cheaper basic materials, but otherwise I'll encourage you to set up an excursion to acquire the rest." No point buying what you can take.

"But first, have you had the chance to test your implementation process on a live subject yet?"

Halls - Megan

"Hello Megan. Enjoying yourself?" Ilpholin asks as she eyes the mecho-panther. She has to admit, it's kind of cute, though she'd find a live version cuter.
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Tale as old as thread
    Reinholdt was the Beast
    Reinholdt had already told the truth once in that post, and therefore was over his annual quota.

8. - Top - End - #1298
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

"Put-downs" was probably the wrong way to word it. "Dismissal" is better.

"Well, if you prefer to be hostile to people you barely know and assume the worst of my previous associations, then there isn't much that I can do to fix such a situation. Still, I suppose that there are certain things that need light shed upon them."

Cyrus folds his hands and looks Ilpholin directly in the eye, suddenly taking a serious intonation into his voice.

"After all, I hold no illusions as to what this is about. You believe that, based on the appearance of the matter, I am a supporter of the already-deposed leader. I cannot blame you for this, as even Gordon believed it. I may have done him favors in the past, but I assure you: These were nothing more than that. Simple favors to garner the support of a powerful, gullible man.

I sided against you in your revolution, if indirectly, for one simple reason: I underestimated you. You certainly have the charisma to gather the support for a coup, but I had my doubts as to whether you and Magtok would be able to actually defeat Gordon in personal combat. I made a wager and lost."

He can't help but frown ever-so-slightly.

"Let it never be said that I do not learn from my mistakes, however. I have since cut all ties with both Gordon and Prometheus, and wish to pay my respects to the recently-legitimate leader of AMEN."

Instantly, his cheer seems to return, and he begins speaking in a friendly tone once more.

"If you wanted to hear my qualifications, of course, there are many. I have a small army of Demons and Undead at my disposal, and thus potentially at AMEN's. I am a potent sorcerer, capable of bending reality to my whim if I so choose. I am a skilled Artificer, and I offer a reduced price on my wares to those I hold in favor.

In short, I am exactly the kind of person to have as an ally if one desires to move upward in any world."
    Last edited by BladeofObliviom; 2012-05-31 at 02:32 PM.

9. - Top - End - #1299

Ilpholin blinks a bit. Actually tending to the ill and wounded? At AMEN? Is that... is that even allowed?

"Very well. I'll talk to him shortly. Should we take him on, we'll fund some of the cheaper basic materials, but otherwise I'll encourage you to set up an excursion to acquire the rest." No point buying what you can take.

"But first, have you had the chance to test your implementation process on a live subject yet?"

It's allowed if Ilpholin says it is, and it would certainly cut back on downtime recovering from heroes beating the crap out of them. It's not like Cin and Shayan won't be benefiting from studying their peers' internal organs as well.

"Not yet. In the interests of not losing anyone unexpendable, I've gotten a small group of terminally ill patients in a Riverside hospital to sign up for the process. How well the first tests go on them today will determine how I decide to move forward." She makes no mention of the decision not to fund the more expensive equipment, although she's unsure of the level of quality they'll find in some of the more delicate instruments.

10. - Top - End - #1300

Halls

Magtok shows up. Just sorta floats in, and looks to Ilpholin expectantly, wondering what he's been summoned for. Can't be anything good, surely, if it requires that he work alongside Jack and Megan, of all people. Well okay, maybe Megan's not so bad, but Jack is definitely not the sort of person our cyborg enjoys spending time with. That creepy soul-eating ghoul man was unnerving even before Magtok found out he could turn into a big scary doom monster thing to kill people with when fighting gets rough.
    Quote Originally Posted by RabbitHoleLost View Post
    Magtok's the best
    "You probably found 'How to Survive a Robot Uprising' in the humor section. Let's just hope that is where it belongs."
    -Daniel H. Wilson
    Unhooded Magtok avvie by urodivoi

11. - Top - End - #1301

Halls - Megan

"Hello Megan. Enjoying yourself?" Ilpholin asks as she eyes the mecho-panther. She has to admit, it's kind of cute, though she'd find a live version cuter.
    Halls - Megan Megan looks a bit startled when Ilpholin speaks when she's in mid-giggle, and the oversized mecho-panther comes to a halt, throwing Megan off of it. Dusting herself up, Megan stands back up. "Um...yeah. Kinda. Creating a big version of the mecho-panthers was a welcome break from boredom...did you need something?"
    Busy with Life

12. - Top - End - #1302
    Ogre in the Playground

Quality of instruments is a bridge they can cross when they come to it.

"Ah. I was thinking about sending a gnoll your way, but if you have volunteers all the better." Still will probably send a small group of them if the tests turn out favorably.

"Keep me informed on the project. Is there anything else you wished to discuss at the time?"

"Indirectly?" Ilpholin has to stand at that. "Indirectly? No Cyrus. Pink opposed me indirectly. Zefir opposed me indirectly. You, sir, were very much a direct factor in my opposition, aiding my enemies and actively working to make my life more difficult. Because of this, you, above all others here, have to prove yourself. Even Zefir has already shown his value to me."

She sits down slowly again. "Now. Many have come to me offering armies and wares and potent magical powers. They think that this makes them powerful. That this makes them valuable."

"They're wrong. What they have is not power, it's strength. It holds not value, but potential. Strength and potential, without use, without action, is nothing."

"So here's the thing Cyrus, you will be doing me favors as well, so that you hold value. But hold no illusion, unlike everyone else here, it will not be to earn my favor. It will be to earn your keep."

"Do you understand?"

Halls

"Well you still owe me that coffee date, but that'll have to wait for now. In the meantime, I have a job for you and Magtok." Ilpholin says, nodding at the recently arrived cyborg.

"A gnome by the name of Marciano has approached me, wishing to create a sort of super generator. The idea is, it eats souls and creates whatever the user desires. Obviously, you're free to be skeptical and anything can go wrong. But he's paying us to use some of our scientists to help him build it."

"I want you two on the project, being the top mechanical engineers of AMEN. Your jobs are three-fold. You are to help him build it. You are to figure out how it works and any security measures required to make it run. Finally, if it up and actually works and the entire place hasn't been swarmed by good guys destroying the thing, you're to take the device from him."

"Now, don't get me wrong. If people do show up to tear it down, you're under no obligation to protect it. And I thoroughly expect that he will be prepared for such a coup operation. In the event you can't take it, feel free to destroy it. We don't need something that powerful in someone else's hands, no matter what their intentions."

"But don't sabotage the project before it gets off the ground. I suspect the good guys will come a knocking on his door and I want that to actually occur. Jack will be working on the fuel end of things, and I might be adding one more to your team before all is said and done."

"Sorry for the info-dump, but do you two think you can handle all that?"
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Tale as old as thread
    Reinholdt was the Beast

13. - Top - End - #1303

Shayan gives a short shake of her head, "Besides introducing you to Cin, and perhaps sitting in on the interview if it was allowed, there is nothing more I can think of. I'll be leaving for Riverside this afternoon for those tests, and be back before dusk with the results if all goes well." Shayan's vines half-turn her to the door as she prepares to open it and admit Cin inside, but she gives Ilpholin the chance to respond before she does.

14. - Top - End - #1304

Halls Megan thinks. "I honestly don't know if I can handle this, I've never worked with souls before...but I'm willing to try. I'll do my best to build and understand it, but the taking of the device is pure child's play. I've met this filthy pint-sized man before, he's not exactly the...brightest cog in the machine, he's more likely to realize we're gonna take it after we do, then before." Not to mention Marciano still has the mecha-panther that Megan made specially for him that Ilpholin sold to him, so that would hopefully make things easier for them.
    Busy with Life

15. - Top - End - #1305
    Halfling in the Playground

Main Room - Jack

"They're alright. I was just looking for you in fact. I have a project involving digging down to the underworld to collect souls that could use your expertise."
    "And exactly which underworld would that be?" Jack starts taking off a pair of (naturally) grey gloves, the pair of which promptly turn to nothing. "The Nine Nells? The Abyss? The original nine hells?" He grins. "You'll have to be more specific."
    My avatar was done by Gullara. Thanks again!

"If you meet a spirit walking,
    Incline your head.
    Do not meet their gaze.
    Do not follow after."

-Things Our Mothers Tell Us

Nexus Characters

16. - Top - End - #1306
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

(Not indirect? I don't recall him doing anything to her. To her knowledge, anyway. )

Cyrus cannot mask his mild displeasure at the situation, but it's certainly not the worst that could have happened.

"It was just business, but I suppose it's not your fault if you take it personally. Very well, name your price. Metaphorically speaking, of course. I expect you're looking for a show of loyalty more substantial than mere money."

Despite displeasure, he can't help but be a bit intrigued by the offer. What could Ilpholin possibly want, that a madman might be willing to do?

17. - Top - End - #1307
    Ogre in the Playground

"Mmm... I might call you in later, but I don't think sitting in on the interview is a good idea. Otherwise send him in." Ilpholin says.

Halls

"Well there's blueprints. That should make things easier. Beyond that, I'll trust your judgement."

Main Room - Jack

Ilpholin thinks for a moment. Then shrugs. "Hell if I know."
    That horrible pun aside... "I'm not actually running the project. A half-gnome by the name of Marciano is paying us to assist. Your job in particular will be to help him with the digging to the underworld. Lend whatever knowledge you feel is necessary."

"Once you get there, he's going to be syphoning souls off to fuel a machine. I want you to take advantage of the situation and grab whatever souls for yourself that you want to help bolster your forces. Unless you think that's a bad idea for whatever reason." He's more of an expert on the subject than she.

Ilpholin considers his actions direct. Whether that fits a textbook definition or not hardly matters here.

"Well you got half the point anyways. Yes, I'm looking for a show of loyalty. But I'm taking it in that you'll be doing things for me for quite some time." Not just a one time deal. Granted, it'll all be work on improving AMEN anyways for the most part.

"Even have a first assignment for you. But first..." Ilpholin flips back up his application to look it over. Gotta do an actual interview before getting into jobs.
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Tale as old as thread
    Reinholdt was the Beast

18. - Top - End - #1308
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Well, he appears to be back to his usual good mood.

"Ah yes, the interview. I had almost forgotten. Please, do go on."

19. - Top - End - #1309

Halls - Wait, is the Jack Thing Another Scene? Blargh, I'm Confused

"Presumably whatever underworld is the least under-ish and below Inside. Hopefully there's not just magma and molten metals and stuff like science would tell you, or this could all be really awkward."

Magtok nods sagely, not in the least bit worried about being dissolved in agonizingly hot lava. He desperately hopes that Marciano will have the sense and generosity to leave the group alone and keep his horrible, intelligible mouth shut while they work on his wacky magi-tech thing, but it's not very likely. Might be best to get multiple MagClones working on this, so as to minimize the time needed to finish the drill and move past this pain and suffering.
    Last edited by Lord Magtok; 2012-05-31 at 04:20 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by RabbitHoleLost View Post
    Magtok's the best
    "You probably found 'How to Survive a Robot Uprising' in the humor section. Let's just hope that is where it belongs."
    -Daniel H. Wilson
    Unhooded Magtok avvie by urodivoi

20. - Top - End - #1310
    Ogre in the Playground

Sadly, there's not much of a chance of that. ^^

21. - Top - End - #1311
    Ogre in the Playground

"Alright. What do you mean by Seventh Flame of Arcanum?" Ilpholin asks as she looks at the sheet.
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Tale as old as thread
    Reinholdt was the Beast

22. - Top - End - #1312

Halls

"Well there's blueprints. That should make things easier. Beyond that, I'll trust your judgement."
    Halls
    Megan salutes.
    "Yes ma'am!"
    "...So when do we have to go to work on this thing again?"
    Busy with Life

23. - Top - End - #1313
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

"Ah, now there's a story. You see, there was a plane I visited about 200 years ago, called Arcanum. The majority of civilization on it was ruled by a magocracy, itself ruled by an Archmage. They have some crazy belief that their hundredth Archmage will save them from suffering forever, or something, so they use everburning torches to keep track of the number they've had.

The only way for the succession to pass is trial by combat or by naming a successor. Dying of natural causes or mysteriously disappearing would probably create a civil war. Anyway, I killed their Sixth Archmage after she challenged me to a duel. I might have violated some bit of etiquette; I'm honestly not sure why she did that. She was powerful, but he couldn't stand against Hellfire. So I was their seventh leader for a time but left after I grew bored. I technically still hold the title, though I don't doubt that they've replaced me by now."

24. - Top - End - #1314
    Ogre in the Playground

Halls

Silly Magtok. Megan's in the Halls and Jack's in the Main Room! Though I suspect the halls lead directly into the Main Room. Maybe his metal half is in one and his fleshy half is in the other?

"As soon as Marciano returns with his payment. Which could be at any time. I recommend going and getting ready and take of whatever needs to be taken care of quickly."

"Ah." She had thought it might be a position in a council or group of sorts, but it was slightly higher.

"So you've been alive for... 315 years? How did you become ageless?"
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Tale as old as thread
    Reinholdt was the Beast

25. - Top - End - #1315
    Ogre in the Playground

Door => Main Hall

Speaking of payment, Marciano comes around back. Except now, he's riding in a black van. A man with brown hair and a business suit walks out of the van too. He smokes a cigarette thoughtfully. Marciano walks inside leaving Grantaire and the man in the van. He carries a large bag of cash....looks like it was freshly stolen from somewhere too, judging by a blood-caked spot on it. Marciano skips! That's odd....Well, now he'd only have to pay half the price of the building from his own coffers. The other half once belonged to a Baron Ashen. He skips over in his little suit, looking like some kind of greaseball salesman and heads over to find Ilpholin. Oy! Ilphy! Wher are ye luscious? O.o Apparently Marciano is content to annoy the hell out of Ilpholin because she made him pay so much.

26. - Top - End - #1316
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

"Mind you, it's an approximation. Many of the planes I've been to have different ideas of what exactly constitutes a year, so it's somewhat difficult to keep track. As for the agelessness, I'm honestly not entirely sure. I believe it to be a consequence of my status as a Planeswalker, as many of us are blessed with abnormally long life."

He conspiratorially whispers this last sentence:

"Also, I've extended it a bit further with a comfortable diet of souls."
    Last edited by BladeofObliviom; 2012-05-31 at 05:52 PM.

27. - Top - End - #1317
    Ogre in the Playground

Ilphy's Office - ShayanCin

The Professor steps in and gives Ilpholin a polite nod. He carried a binder under his arm and stands for now at the side of the chair. "Mind if I take a seat?" He asks, waiting to be told to do so instead of assuming he can.

28. - Top - End - #1318
    Ogre in the Playground

Ilphy's Office - Cin

"Go ahead." Ilpholin says as yet another form is pulled out and pushed across the desk.

"I've been told you're interested in becoming a member. The physician to be exact."

"Ah. Will you be in need of more souls here or do you feel well covered in that regards?" Ilpholin asks. Could always direct him to Jack.

Main Hall Rooms Thing Place

Mmm... will wait on a response for a bit until Murkus gets a chance to post. Unless Marciano wishes to run into Mister Squiggles by the back lot since that seems to have been his choice of entry.
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Tale as old as thread
    Reinholdt was the Beast

29. - Top - End - #1319
    Ogre in the Playground

Having no clue who Mr. Squiggles is, I'll just wait with you.

30. - Top - End - #1320

Halls Megan nods and runs off! Only to return with a beat up looking shoulder bag and a mechanical owl on her shoulder. "Done."
    Busy with Life