New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Soul Calibur V - Discussion and Online Play ?

Quote Originally Posted by Amiria View Post
    I played a few rounds with IrnBruAddict, good games.
    Cheers bro, was fun till my network dissconnected, was spotty for a few days but has been running good today. When I get online tommorow I'll be back on and try to add some of you guys. Amiria was good and because he switched characters for every match I did the same and ended up enjoying not using my mains.

But people hate me using my main Reimu (from the Touhou games, Soul of Maxi style) because I attack low quite often. So if you think I'm just being cheap tell me and I'll go someone else.

As for who to main, just try them all out and choosse based on fighting style, not personality. Half the new cast have decent new styles (Alpha-pat, Aeon, Viola, Pyrrah and Zwei) but only Zwei and Viola have any decent voice acting (I hate Xiba, and all the asian fighters except Mitsurugi). Once you try them you might be surprised. I was a Seigfried/Talim in SC 2 and SC 4, but I'm rocking Maxi and recently have found Pyrrah and Cervantes awesome to use. With the changes to movesets and removal of some stances, you cant really just choose your old main and feel the same. Sad but true.

And +1 for the Natsu hate, shame cos she's so fun to use. They need to patch it and nerf her soon.
    "The advantage of fighting your clone is you know EXACTLY what will make him feel guilty. That's also how Catholicism beats up so many ninjas." - Christopher Hastings, Dr McNinja

2. - Top - End - #32
    Bugbear in the Playground

I finally reached Level 99 while playing offline to get a feel for some more of the cast / and getting their "Souls of ..." titles. Some of the higher level stickers and thumbnails are quite cool but I'd have preferred more base equipment to work with.

I currently have 48 CAS slots in use by 44 unique characters (4 of are made with 2 styles each). I made many D&D and Conan RPG characters; SCs, NSCs, or just RPG-inspired. Mostly humans and (predominantly dark) elves, fantasy and supernatural characters (like demons, goat folk, medusas, orks, satyrs, etc). The only pop culture characters I made so far are a fat, armored Beelzeboss and Conan.

The 3rd DLC pack for February should be out today or tomorrow and Dampierre will come out soon too. I hope they'll have some real DLC after that, not just stuff that's already on the disc which justs gets activated by the DLC. More characters / styles and more and better CAS stuff are mandatory, and not too late. I fear that otherwise too many people will loose interest in the game.
    Last edited by Amiria; 2012-02-28 at 04:56 PM.
    The Countess of Mispelling hath returned !__________________________________________________ _________Behold my magnetoresistance !
    Quote Originally Posted by KillingAScarab View Post
    This isn't just any drow. This is a drow who is willing to have a good-aligned flying snake come out of her body so she can then fart rainbows.
    Outer Sphere__________________________________________________ _______________Inkatar !__________________________________________________ _______________Starship

Spoiler
    Show

3. - Top - End - #33

Quote Originally Posted by Amiria View Post
    I currently have 48 CAS slots in use by 44 unique characters (4 of are made with 2 styles each). I made many D&D and Conan RPG characters; SCs, NSCs, or just RPG-inspired. Mostly humans and (predominantly dark) elves, fantasy and supernatural characters (like demons, goat folk, medusas, orks, satyrs, etc). The only pop culture characters I made so far are a fat, armored Beelzeboss and Conan.
    I know that feel. I've been using the CaS to build snapshots of D&D characters because I can't actually draw worth a damn. I don't have quite that many characters, because I have a tendency to delete ones I don't like, but I could easily see myself getting near that number by the time I hit max level.

In other news, I decided I want to main Algol, but I've got a lot of trouble with the 623 movement for his GI move. Also, he doesn't really have a ridiculous amount of combos like certain other characters (like Natsu or Xiba), so I find myself with relatively slow jerky movements. It also kind of sucks that you have to have two full meters to use his Critical Edge effectively, even if it does deal >60% damage when it hits. . . .

4. - Top - End - #34

Nothing new on the online front. Time for showcasing custom characters !

Amiria with Viola's style
    Spoiler
    Show

And the thumbnails of my current slots. Many are based on PCs or NPCs created by me and a friend for our RPG groups:

1-10
    Spoiler
    Show

1) Nina => Conan RPG PC (Brythunian); Soul of Leixia
    2) Jacob => Conan RPG PC (Southern Islander); Soul of Hilde
    3) Rodriguez => Conan RPG PC (Zingaran); Soul of Raphael
    4) Leif => Conan RPG PC (Ćsir); Soul of Siegfried
    5) Nina => Conan RPG PC (Brythunian); Soul of Patroklos
    6) Conan (Cimmerian); Soul of Mitsurugi
    7) Beelzeboss (Fiend); Soul of Nightmare
    8) Baethrae => D&D RPG PC (Drow); Soul of Ivy
    9) Carno => D&D RPG PC (Ibixian); Soul of Astaroth
    10) Maledict => evil Anti-Pope (Human); Soul of Xiba

11-20
    Spoiler
    Show

11) Shurayne => D&D RPG NPC (Drow); Soul of Raphael
    12) Lithiara => D&D RPG PC (Human); Soul of Patroklos
    13) Rakhsicz => D&D RPG PC (Drow); Soul of Cervantes
    14) Leonie => gender-bent Leonidas (Human); Soul of Hilde
    15) Alystra => D&D RPG NPC (Drow); Soul of Tira
    16) Fu Lung (Human); Soul of Maxi
    17) Äethwynn => D&D RPG PC (Aasimar); Soul of Xiba
    18) Isegrim (Werewolf); Soul of Z.W.E.I.
    19) Esime => D&D RPG PC (Aasimar); Soul of Siegfried
    20) Hasskap => D&D RPG NPC (Human); Soul of Voldo

21-30
    Spoiler
    Show

21) Booberella (Human); Soul of Leixia
    22) Midori (Human); Soul of Yoshimitsu
    23) Grützschnack => D&D RPG PC (Ork); Soul of Nightmare
    24) Naomi (Human); Soul of Mitsurugi
    25) Justine => D&D RPG PC (Human); Soul of Natsu
    26) Ayrin => D&D RPG PC (Moon Elf); Soul of Xiba
    27) Zargothrax (Fiend); Soul of Aeon
    28) Errathos => D&D RPG NPC (Tiefling); Soul of Alpha Patroklos
    29) Xiphistus (Satyr); Soul of Pyrrha Omega
    30) Désirée (Human); Soul of Viola

31-40
    Spoiler
    Show

31) Mirage => D&D RPG PC (Drow); Soul of Pyrrha
    32) Gurzurg (Ogre); Soul of Siegfried
    33) Gorgo Uschi (Medusa); Soul of Ivy
    34) Malraziel => Conan RPG NSC (Winged Black Fiend); Soul of Devil Jin
    35) Zebey'riia => D&D RPG NPC (Drow); Soul of Cervantes
    36) Wasim => Conan RPG-inspired (Vendhyan); Soul of Mitsurugi
    37) Ramsus => Conan RPG-inspired (Stygian); Soul of Astaroth
    38) Phoebammon => Conan RPG-inspired (Corinithian); Soul of Patroklos
    39) Hrólfr => Conan RPG-inspired (Vanir); Soul of Aeon
    40) Evyavan => Conan RPG-inspired (Shemite); Soul of Xiba

41-50
    Spoiler
    Show

41) --
    42) Xinivrae (Succubus); Soul of Edge Master
    43) Dawn => D&D RPG NPC (Half-Celestial Nymph); Soul of Elysium
    44) Xinivrae (Succubus); Soul of Kilik
    45) --
    46) Amiria => D&D RPG PC (Human); Soul of Leixia
    47) Chephyr => D&D RPG PC (Ice Elf); Soul of Cervantes
    48) Azurphein => D&D RPG PC (Drow); Soul of Raphael
    49) Chephyr => D&D RPG PC (Ice Elf); Soul of Leixia
    50) Amiria => D&D RPG PC (Human); Soul of Viola
    The Countess of Mispelling hath returned !__________________________________________________ _________Behold my magnetoresistance !
    This isn't just any drow. This is a drow who is willing to have a good-aligned flying snake come out of her body so she can then fart rainbows.
    Outer Sphere__________________________________________________ _______________Inkatar !__________________________________________________ _______________Starship

Spoiler
    Show

5. - Top - End - #35
    Ogre in the Playground

So, having messed around a bit with SCII when I was younger, I've decided to give this game a try. I still feel like I'm just flailing around with attacks with no real strategy per se, but it is pretty fun. I don't have a network connection for my PS3 at the moment, but I'm playing a lot as Nightmare, Mitsurugi, and Xiba offline. Also, creating custom characters is getting a little addicting...
    High School Harem Comedy, my original game system!

6. - Top - End - #36

Quote Originally Posted by A Rainy Knight View Post
    Nightmare, Mitsurugi, and Xiba
    Blegh ! All those easy to use, (low) spammy, overpowered cookie cutter characters. Says someone who mains Leixia.

Well, I used them all (a bit) in past games too. Nightmare the least and Kilik the most, but also not as a main.

From those three I so far mostly used Xiba in SC5 again because I was quite good against the AI with him. Although I haven't become familiar with his new moves yet.

And just yesterday I went into Training Mode with Mitsurugi because I think I need someone who's yet better against harder AI opponents in Quick Battle and to beat Kilik with Brave Edge in Legendary Souls. He's very easy to use, quite quick and deals an ungodly amount of damage, even with simple moves. Yeah, no wonder why he's so popular.

Ah, but I won't be tempted. I'll just use him as an AI Killer.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Oh, someone else from my friends list got the game and invited me for few games with more of his friends. Apparently they were all new to the game ... or drunk ... or both. At least someone demanded more beer. Anyway, for someone as bad as me it was good for morale to get a 4:0 win streak (with a different style every time even, and no Leixia).

But then the phone rang and I had to leave too early.
    Last edited by Amiria; 2012-03-02 at 05:36 PM.

Spoiler
    Show

7. - Top - End - #37
    Spamalot in the Playground

I popped into a Best Buy and steamrolled Arcade Mode with Astaroth. Glad he hasn't changed much.

That chick with the crystal and claws intrigues me, I think I'll go pick this up.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

8. - Top - End - #38

Astaroth is fun to use, even though I know only a few of his moves and have no idea of his strongest aspect => grappling.

I uploaded a video ... How I fight with Astaroth. That's one of the 4 battles I mentioned in my last post. That circling low kick ... I used it several times in the battle, including my very last attack ... but it never did it on purpose ... just happened while mashing buttons to do other moves. But it's is a good move ! I should learn how to do it ... consciously.

Another reason for me to use Mitsurugi more (at least in my CAS battles) is of course my custom Conan. One of the Mitsurugi's weapons makes a fine western 'ersatz' Atlantean Sword.

I also really like that there are finally less bulky looking swords in Siegfried's style => the flamberge and the nodachi. Nightmare's style doesn't have such slender swords but the look of his 'master' weapon is a step in the right direction.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Stealth Bump
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------

More than a month has passed now. There is new DLC out there, Dampierre and 4 costume packs CAS. I'd rate them:

1) Main Cast Costumes: Patroklos 1P/2P, Elysium 1P, Pyrrha 1P, Pyrrha Omega 1P, Viola 1P, Z.W.E.I. 1P/2P. All beautiful and at a fair price.

2) Maid Costumes: Fanservice, French maid and some not so maid-like looking costume. The latter one looks really nice. Still, less items than 1), but higher price.

3) Classic Helmets: For those who really need them to recreate oldschool versions of Nightmare, Voldo, etc. Not that many helmets but the price is bearable.

4) Active wear: Fanservice, simple looking and ridiculously overpriced (3 items for 3 euros). Only for those who have a fetish for Japanese schoolgirl sportswear.

I got the main cast costumes and the maid costumes on the day they became available and today I also bought Dampierre.

More DLC is in the works, probably out in May.

---------------------------------------------

Offline I decided to stay with Leixia to defeat all 240 Quick Battle Characters for their titles. It taught me which of her moves are safe and which are the best punishers. I didn't loose as much as I expected because of that, working from the easiest to the hardest AI opponents. The worst was the A1 Soul of Alpha Patroklos (Alissa ?) with the title 'Katana Master'.

Online I got better with Patroklos although I can still barely combo with him ... ok, his B+K into CE is easy and does around 50% damage.

I also became online friends with someone who shares my love for fantasy / funny / weird CAS. Who is also usually online when I am and fights at about my level of skill.

After Leixia, Xiba, Raphael and Patroklos, the next styles I might play more are probably Cervantes, Tira and Edge Master. Maybe also Aeon, the patch in March made him more viable and I find him more fun to use than in past SC games.
    Last edited by Amiria; 2012-04-12 at 02:55 AM.

Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #39
    Orc in the Playground

Just watched the Namco Invitational, surprised Keev got knocked out like that but man, the Grand Finals were awesome.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Pixie in the Playground

Kobold

Lightbulb Re: Soul Calibur V - Discussion and Online Play ?

Been looking for somewhere to share this. I don't know why I didn't think of this page until now.

So Soul Calibur V came out right around when the Kickstarter Reprint Drive started, and I had both of those things in my head at the same time. I guess this was inevitable.

http://imgur.com/HlVVY

Nale was tricky, since I didn't have a goatee option. I ended up sticking a yellow leaf on his face. Looks OK from a distance...
    Last edited by craftmike; 2012-04-27 at 01:15 AM.

11. - Top - End - #41

Quote Originally Posted by craftmike View Post
    http://imgur.com/HlVVY

Nale was tricky, since I didn't have a goatee option. I ended up sticking a yellow leaf on his face. Looks OK from a distance...
    You have their likeness down (although I think that Nale looks more like Asterix with that 'beard') But they look rather bland, I'd have added some nice things like patterns and more elaborate clothes, even though the original stick figures don't sport such details.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

New DLC is out again

1) Tekken clothes => Jin, Xiaoyu, King and Panda (head only)

2) Uniforms for females => stewardess and cadet

3) Gothic plate armour

I only bought the gothic plate so far. It looks nice on its own (although it lacks plate protection in the crotch area; I used the special equipment 'Wings of Strength' to make up for that) but clashes with most other armour options.

More 1P/2P costumes (e.g. Xiaoyu, Cervantes, Natsu, Xiba, Ivy), hairstyles (e.g. Natsu 2P, Leixia 2P) and more stuff are in the works as DLC.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

I still haven't beaten Legendary Souls mode, But I'm sure I can do it after all those Quick Battle opponents. Last time I went in LS mode I beat Kilik 3-0 on my 2nd try (with Brave Edge for the 'Skills for Duels' trophy). After that Nightmare got me 1-3 and I stopped since I got what I wanted. But LS Nightmare didn't seem harder than the A2 rank QB Nightmare. LS Xiba was in fact easier than any A rank QB Xiba for me.

Still, I really wish that there were more single player modes, like in SC 3. But the game is still great. Online is really good (especially once you find some decent people, there are quite a few spammers, trolls and elitists out there) and Creation mode too (gets better and better with DLC support).
    Last edited by Amiria; 2012-05-01 at 03:07 PM.

Spoiler
    Show