New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

Thread: Marvel Heroes

1. - Top - End - #1
    Firbolg in the Playground

Flumph

Default Marvel Heroes

Anyone else clicking on goons for loot?

For those that aren't, Marvel Heroes is a free to play Diablo-em-up set in (as you have no doubt cunningly surmised from the title) the Marvel universe. It's similar in aspect to the old X-Men Legends/Marvel Ultimate Alliance games, you choose a marvel hero and go out and punch bad guys until loot falls out of them.

The core experience is pretty satisfying, the design favours large numbers of enemies and frequent loot drops, and the loot is reasonably interesting, with higher rarities having more varied effects than just +numbers (boosts to skills, and unique on-hit effects).

It uses physics for enemies as well rather than canned animations, so big hitters can send enemies flying in an entertaining fashion.

It's all multiplayer, and most zones are public, which means there are large numbers of heroes running around, but since enemies spawn frequently and there are area events and event bosses that are designed for everyone to gang up and do (so eg. Venom will appear and everyone goes to bash him) you never feel like you're not getting any action. Also loot is individual, you can only see your own loot drop out of bosses, so there's no loot ninja business. (Plenty of the other kind of ninjas. The kind you punch).

Boss zones are individual though, you enter them, fight through an instance, fight a boss. By the end you'll have punched most of the people who really deserve punching in Marvel.

Obviously, being free to play it's worth looking at the business model. You start the game by choosing a hero from a lineup of 10 or so (It was only 5 when I started, there are currently 27 total and they keep adding more, about one a month or so), and that's your first character. You can get other characters by either buying them with real money (and the prices basically vary by popularity. Expect to pay significantly more for Deadpool than billy-no-mates Cyclops, for instance. That's possibly the worst part of it, the popularity pricing is quite cynical, even if the prices aren't mega expensive given how much playtime you can get from a single character), or you can gather an ingame currency which can be traded for specific heroes or a random one. Going random is cheaper but might give you one you already have (in which case it powers up their ultimate power).

There's also the usual raft of cosmetics to pay for, and paying for stash space and boosts to XP, item drop, etc.

It doesn't feel like there's any ability to buy power, even though some characters are definitively stronger than others it's still quite possible to play through all the content with any of the characters, and you can get all the characters for free, and PvP is limited to duelling in one specific area and that's only just been introduced.

If anyone is playing, who are your toons? I currently have Thing and Squirrel Girl (because who wouldn't want to play as Squirrel Girl?).

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Marvel Heroes

I just started playing this. It's pretty fun, but I really wish it was easier to access more heroes. I like to switch around characters a lot and having to pay like $5-13 per hero sucks. Or farm for an extremely long time.

I also wish there was an option to just play solo rather than fight through areas with massive hordes of respawning enemies.

3. - Top - End - #3

Quote Originally Posted by Eldaran View Post
    I just started playing this. It's pretty fun, but I really wish it was easier to access more heroes. I like to switch around characters a lot and having to pay like $5-13 per hero sucks. Or farm for an extremely long time.

I also wish there was an option to just play solo rather than fight through areas with massive hordes of respawning enemies.
    New Heroes are a loot option. I started with Hawkeye, Looted Daredevil, Cable, and Thing. Thing is a beast. Daredevil is awesome to play. Hawkeye and Cable are both kind of meh. I stopped playing after about 2 weeks, but 4 heroes in 2 weeks isn't a terrible drop rate.
    If you get a hero token, and you already have that hero, it gives you a boost to that hero. They have the best chance at dropping from bosses and boss events.
    ~~Courage is not the lack of fear~~
    Quote Originally Posted by gooddragon1 View Post
    If the party wizard can't survive a supersonic dragon made of iron at epic levels it's his own fault really.
    "In soviet dungeon, aboleth farms you!"
    "Please consult your DM before administering Steve brand Aboleth Mucus.
    Ask your DM if Aboleth Mucus is right for you.
    Side effects include coughing, sneezing, and other flu like symptoms, cancer, breathing water like a fish, loss of dignity, loss of balance, loss of bowel and bladder control."

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

Not anymore, you get Eternity Splinters as item drops, one every 4-8 minutes apparently and it takes 175 to unlock a random hero, or 200-600 to buy a specific one (most are 400-600). So 17.5 hours average playtime to unlock one random hero, and up to 60 hours for a specific one.

5. - Top - End - #5

Flumph

Yeah, given that it can take a while to get the Eternity Splinters to pick up a new hero, it's a good idea to start with one you enjoy.