New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 13 of 50 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131415161718192021222338 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #361
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Starcraft 2: 8 Medivac drop

Quote Originally Posted by Kyeudo View Post
    Where do you go to watch it?
    Team liquid. Though it says you'll need to buy a pass. I'm hoping that it'll be leaked somehow...
    My own webcomic. Idiosyncrasy.
    Paladin Academy: Chapter 2 Part 28

2. - Top - End - #362
    Ettin in the Playground

Just played another crazy game. How crazy? I was doing Ultralisk harassment.

3. - Top - End - #363
    Firbolg in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

I know for certain that Zerg can get up two bases against ANY toss opening.

Go 13 Hatch, 15 pool, put at least two spines at the front, and you're good against any early pokes until they decide to seriously push. Then you'll need more spines to hold, but since you haven't been making any lings with the funday you should have a stupid number at the front. You just have to watch out for a blink stalker play going around the spines.
    Except Cannon Contain, but that's ridiculously rare.

4. - Top - End - #364
    Bugbear in the Playground

I know for certain that Zerg can get up two bases against ANY toss opening.

Go 13 Hatch, 15 pool, put at least two spines at the front, and you're good against any early pokes until they decide to seriously push. Then you'll need more spines to hold, but since you haven't been making any lings with the funday you should have a stupid number at the front. You just have to watch out for a blink stalker play going around the spines.
    Proxy 2-gate, cannonrush and cannoncontain called. They wanted their free ladder points.

Seriously, don't ever hatch first versus Protoss.

Quote Originally Posted by Acanous View Post
    Except Cannon Contain, but that's ridiculously rare.
    Relevant link.
    Last edited by Shadowleaf; 2012-05-07 at 06:16 AM.
    English is a second language etc etc.

5. - Top - End - #365
    Ogre in the Playground

Lizardfolk

You can break a cannon contain easily on some maps.

6. - Top - End - #366
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowleaf View Post
    Proxy 2-gate, cannonrush and cannoncontain called. They wanted their free ladder points.

Seriously, don't ever hatch first versus Protoss.
    LOL. Guess what? I always hatch first vs toss. Always. Yes, even then. I used to not even drone scout until they started doing the pylon wall-off cannon rush.

Cannon rushes are a pain, but hardly unstoppable. You pull some drones, you build some spines, and you get an expo while his tech gets delayed.

Cannon contain? What's the point? I'm two basing until mutas on most maps anyway, so why do I care if you have cannons at my front? My mutas will fly around your cannons, you'll abandon the cannons to defend your probes, and zerglings will eat your cannons.

Now, proxy two gate actually will force me to either skip or cancel the hatch and drop the pool right away, but then the toss has already lost anyway, so who cares? Clean up the proxy, drop the hatch, and go back to normal play.

7. - Top - End - #367
    Titan in the Playground

So, just so I know who to look for, anyone put submits into funday monday?

8. - Top - End - #368
    Ettin in the Playground

I threw a try-hard game in. Might make an interesting fail game or an intro game, because my opening went almost picture perfect and my late game was a bizzare nightmare of hydralisk/infestor harass vs mutalisk harass.

9. - Top - End - #369
    Titan in the Playground

I threw a try-hard game in. Might make an interesting fail game or an intro game, because my opening went almost picture perfect and my late game was a bizzare nightmare of hydralisk/infestor harass vs mutalisk harass.
    Here's hoping.

But did you win or lose?

10. - Top - End - #370
    Ettin in the Playground

I lost bad. I did learn a few things, like you should wall in every ramp and base you can to prevent runbys when you go pure air and instead move drones by drop or nydus. Yes, a hydralisk runby killed me.

11. - Top - End - #371
    Ettin in the Playground

Here was my Funday Monday submission, for any who care to watch me lose.

12. - Top - End - #372
    Troll in the Playground

So I heard some things on the interwebs on Battle.net upgrades coming out for heart. I think I might start playing again.
    here, and discuss:
    Multiplayer resume from replay
    Global Play
    Multilanguage support
    Clan/group system
    Unranked matchmaking
    Multiplayer replay viewing
    I'm really interested on the Global play and the unranked matchmaking.

13. - Top - End - #373
    Titan in the Playground

Only thing they're missing is an update on when HotS will come out. But nooo...

"Coming Soon"

14. - Top - End - #374

Quote Originally Posted by Silverraptor View Post

"Coming Soon"

They did put out a release regarding the new units for HotS.
    Namely that a bunch of them were scrapped due to them just plain not working.
    The Reploid basicly encouraged Protoss to turtle and counter when turtle play is something they've been actively trying to discourage. It also caused people to not tech up, again, highly negative.
    I forget what was wrong with a few of the other units.

Oh yeah, the Terran Shredder. Caused too many friendly fire incidents in testing, and was otherwise too confusing to some testers.
    The Zerg thingy that burrows and barfs out broodlings is still in, but might get a graphical change and might not barf broodlings but something else instead. Mostly changes to make it a bit more different from other units.

But, the good news is that they have a serious commitment to getting HotS out this year. They've been saying that at pretty much all the quarterly reports and shareholder meetings since... october?
    Personally, I expect a november release date, but that's really just a guess.
    Last edited by Karoht; 2012-05-08 at 11:00 AM.
    ~~Courage is not the lack of fear~~
    Quote Originally Posted by gooddragon1 View Post
    If the party wizard can't survive a supersonic dragon made of iron at epic levels it's his own fault really.
    "In soviet dungeon, aboleth farms you!"
    "Please consult your DM before administering Steve brand Aboleth Mucus.
    Ask your DM if Aboleth Mucus is right for you.
    Side effects include coughing, sneezing, and other flu like symptoms, cancer, breathing water like a fish, loss of dignity, loss of balance, loss of bowel and bladder control."

15. - Top - End - #375
    Troll in the Playground

"Coming Soon"

We'll also be offering a beta sneak peek of Heart of the Swarm to attendees of the MLG Spring Championship on June 8–10 at the Anaheim Convention Center in Anaheim, California. Additionally, we will be releasing news in the next few weeks about how your participation in the upcoming Arcade (1.5) beta can win you chances to get into the upcoming Heart of the Swarm multiplayer beta test.
    So, it might not be that far off.
    Last edited by Forbiddenwar; 2012-05-08 at 11:18 AM.

16. - Top - End - #376
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Karoht View Post
    Oh yeah, the Terran Shredder. Caused too many friendly fire incidents in testing, and was otherwise too confusing to some testers.
    Actually the big problem was people harassing with them, destroying entire mineral lines.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alabenson
    Evil Intelligence is knowing the precise ritual that will allow you to destroy the peaceful kingdom that banished you.

Evil Wisdom is understanding that you probably shouldn’t perform said ritual while you’re standing in the estimated blast radius.

17. - Top - End - #377

Quote Originally Posted by BobVosh View Post
    Actually the big problem was people harassing with them, destroying entire mineral lines.
    Ah, there we are, I was mis-remembering, and I couldn't find the original article.

But, the removed potential units are being replaced with new stuff. So that does mean more design and testing and iteration.
    ~~Courage is not the lack of fear~~
    Quote Originally Posted by gooddragon1 View Post
    If the party wizard can't survive a supersonic dragon made of iron at epic levels it's his own fault really.
    "In soviet dungeon, aboleth farms you!"
    "Please consult your DM before administering Steve brand Aboleth Mucus.
    Ask your DM if Aboleth Mucus is right for you.
    Side effects include coughing, sneezing, and other flu like symptoms, cancer, breathing water like a fish, loss of dignity, loss of balance, loss of bowel and bladder control."

18. - Top - End - #378
    Ettin in the Playground

Yeah, basically almost all their proposed units for Terran are back on the drawing board, most of Toss's are being rethought (hope carriers stay in), and Zerg gets to keep Overseers.

19. - Top - End - #379
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Which makes me curious what they plan on doing with the viper. Are they still going to have the spell to make things into obs units? Also I really can't wait to play with that scorpion get-over-here spell.
    Evil Intelligence is knowing the precise ritual that will allow you to destroy the peaceful kingdom that banished you.

Evil Wisdom is understanding that you probably shouldn’t perform said ritual while you’re standing in the estimated blast radius.

20. - Top - End - #380
    Titan in the Playground

Next week funday monday: Closest Team Battles Ever! Epic Version! 2v2, 3v3, or 4v4s. No boring for the longest of time before the armies meet in the middle and one barely pulls out. "Looking for games where both teams base trade, rebuild in their opponents mains, base trade again, re-expand into old mains, and barely winning with a worker left alive" type of games.*

*Note, game doesn't have to go like this. Keep the action going non-stop and make it as close as possible.

21. - Top - End - #381
    Ettin in the Playground

Which makes me curious what they plan on doing with the viper. Are they still going to have the spell to make things into obs units? Also I really can't wait to play with that scorpion get-over-here spell.
    The parasite spell (let's face it, that's what it was) hasn't been mentioned, so it might still exist or it might not. The fun ones are the tongue and dark swarm, though. I look forward to countering Colossi with zerglings.

22. - Top - End - #382
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

It isn't as good as parasite, because it can only be used on your own units. I used parasite a ton on random critters around the map (less important now due to how easy it is to spread creep) but it was fun. I used the dark archons (which I miss) to mind control critters as well and walk around in opponents bases as a critter.

In other words I miss messing with the critters :D

23. - Top - End - #383
    Ogre in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Isin't it bad manner killing critters?

24. - Top - End - #384
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Parasite didn't kill, it only gave you constant vision.

Mind controlling isn't killing either :P

Now if they did the correct thing and kill the critters, than...gasp.

25. - Top - End - #385
    Titan in the Playground

It isn't as good as parasite, because it can only be used on your own units. I used parasite a ton on random critters around the map (less important now due to how easy it is to spread creep) but it was fun. I used the dark archons (which I miss) to mind control critters as well and walk around in opponents bases as a critter.

In other words I miss messing with the critters :D
    Wait, the opponents units didn't automatically attack mind controlled critters?

Edit: Oh, I would like to ask everyone in Gitp in general about timings when they're playing against other races. At what minute mark do you expect any kind of strat the opponent will be making against you whether they are Terran, Zerg, or Protoss. The latest Daily was talking about minutes like 6 minutes is hellions, 7 minutes is banshees, and 7:30 is when banshees should have cloak when its ZvT.

I'm just curious if any of you have timings memorized where you prepare for the enemy in any of your games.
    Last edited by Silverraptor; 2012-05-09 at 03:16 PM.

26. - Top - End - #386
    Barbarian in the Playground

IIRC some of the critters flew around pretty fast. Can't recall if they were even attackable. But parasite on them definitely worked.

27. - Top - End - #387
    Ettin in the Playground

Edit: Oh, I would like to ask everyone in Gitp in general about timings when they're playing against other races. At what minute mark do you expect any kind of strat the opponent will be making against you whether they are Terran, Zerg, or Protoss. The latest Daily was talking about minutes like 6 minutes is hellions, 7 minutes is banshees, and 7:30 is when banshees should have cloak when its ZvT.

I'm just curious if any of you have timings memorized where you prepare for the enemy in any of your games.
    I don't have any concious "check the clock" sort of timings, but I have moments where I haven't see the marines and tanks after the hellions so I know that I need to get down the spores ASAP or I won't be getting down spores ever.

I'm less sure with toss, since I just expect a 6 gate to try and kill me and everything else I have contigencies for.

28. - Top - End - #388
    Titan in the Playground

I don't have any concious "check the clock" sort of timings, but I have moments where I haven't see the marines and tanks after the hellions so I know that I need to get down the spores ASAP or I won't be getting down spores ever.

I'm less sure with toss, since I just expect a 6 gate to try and kill me and everything else I have contigencies for.
    Well, I think maybe we should start working on that, as in training each of us to learn to recognize specific timings for things. The latest Day 9 video I watched made me realize that knowing timings is a key factor in top level gameplay.

29. - Top - End - #389
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

The only way to tell if a unit was parasited was to click on it, or see its portrait in the 12 units you can highlight.

I can't remember it for mind control a la dark archon.

I just scout a lot, and know if they expand the first major attack is going to come 8-10 minutes in. If they don't expand it is about 6 minutes. Second push is typically 12 minutes, or if they 2 base all in it is about 12. These timings are wide enough margin that it works for both Toss and terran. ZvZ has no timings beyond when you expect them to have a 6 pool attacking, speed for 14/14, and the hatch done for a FE. At any time they may do something crazy.

I'm not to the point where I have to memorize timing attacks so I haven't.

30. - Top - End - #390

OldWizardGuy

LOL. Guess what? I always hatch first vs toss. Always. Yes, even then. I used to not even drone scout until they started doing the pylon wall-off cannon rush.

Cannon rushes are a pain, but hardly unstoppable. You pull some drones, you build some spines, and you get an expo while his tech gets delayed.

Cannon contain? What's the point? I'm two basing until mutas on most maps anyway, so why do I care if you have cannons at my front? My mutas will fly around your cannons, you'll abandon the cannons to defend your probes, and zerglings will eat your cannons.

Now, proxy two gate actually will force me to either skip or cancel the hatch and drop the pool right away, but then the toss has already lost anyway, so who cares? Clean up the proxy, drop the hatch, and go back to normal play.
    If he's going Cannon Contain, you're going to lose your expo before it finishes. Most Toss Cannon Contain do it so they can 3 base without risk of harass, letting them go for mass Void Ray with some Carrier backup.
    Yes, it's a rare strat, and bloody impractical against any terran, and you can't pull the usual 4 gate opening, but if you want to Fast Expand twice and go into air anyhow, you only need the one gate and it isn't delayed.

So basically Cannon Contain works on certain maps, and you shouldn't expo first on those maps. Fast lings counter cannon contain.