New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 19 of 50 FirstFirst ... 9101112131415161718192021222324252627282944 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #541
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Starcraft 2: 8 Medivac drop

Oh wait, that website says I need to put the replay file into my replay files folder. Nevermind.

On a different note, I decided to start laddering again. My first game was a leave in 12 seconds and was a silver league. This game was against another gold and I think I did pretty well.
    My own webcomic. Idiosyncrasy.
    Paladin Academy: Chapter 2 Part 28

2. - Top - End - #542
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

You did a really, really good job of spending your money for being rusty and silver league.

That said don't stim all your marines when banshees are around. Just highlight 10 or so and stim them. If you stim 30 marines and don't kill the banshee that is like he did 300 damage distributed amongst your marines and you did no damage in return.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alabenson
    Evil Intelligence is knowing the precise ritual that will allow you to destroy the peaceful kingdom that banished you.

Evil Wisdom is understanding that you probably shouldn’t perform said ritual while you’re standing in the estimated blast radius.

3. - Top - End - #543
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by BobVosh View Post
    You did a really, really good job of spending your money for being rusty and silver league.

That said don't stim all your marines when banshees are around. Just highlight 10 or so and stim them. If you stim 30 marines and don't kill the banshee that is like he did 300 damage distributed amongst your marines and you did no damage in return.
    I'm not silver league yet. I'm still in gold and so was this guy. And yeah, my micro isn't the best. However, I love how I left those handful of marines around my minerals and he flew the banshee back into them and lost it instantly. Also, I was suprised on how well it went when I put down 2nd barracks, orbital, and then the 2nd supply depo. with getting a tech lab and orbital at the same time, my food stayed comfortably around 17 until the depo finished, which was around the exact same time as the orbital and tech lab finished.

Also, I figured out how to watch others replays now, so post them for me!
    Last edited by Silverraptor; 2012-09-10 at 08:58 PM.

4. - Top - End - #544
    Ettin in the Playground

Here's another one of me nearly failing. I don't actually know how I won that. I blame my infestor count.

5. - Top - End - #545
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Silverraptor View Post
    I'm not silver league yet.
    Oh, then you did terribly, be ashamed. :P

Seriously though, points stand. I guess I just read your name and thought "silver." No clue where I got it, if not that.

http://www.gamereplays.org/starcraft...ails&id=271167

Probably not a very interesting game, but the only game on the ladder of this season. Didn't play last season either.

However I bet you can pinpoint the moment when I realized I no longer knew what to do for late game. I kept the file name so you can realize how often I ladder, for it to be numbered such.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyeudo View Post
    Here's another one of me nearly failing. I don't actually know how I won that. I blame my infestor count.
    You had half of the map, he had 3 bases. For most of the game. If you didn't win I would have slapped you with a cod fish of disgrace.
    Last edited by BobVosh; 2012-09-11 at 05:58 AM.
    Evil Intelligence is knowing the precise ritual that will allow you to destroy the peaceful kingdom that banished you.

Evil Wisdom is understanding that you probably shouldn’t perform said ritual while you’re standing in the estimated blast radius.

6. - Top - End - #546
    Titan in the Playground

Oh, then you did terribly, be ashamed. :P

Seriously though, points stand. I guess I just read your name and thought "silver." No clue where I got it, if not that.

http://www.gamereplays.org/starcraft...ails&id=271167

Probably not a very interesting game, but the only game on the ladder of this season. Didn't play last season either.

However I bet you can pinpoint the moment when I realized I no longer knew what to do for late game. I kept the file name so you can realize how often I ladder, for it to be numbered such.

You had half of the map, he had 3 bases. For most of the game. If you didn't win I would have slapped you with a cod fish of disgrace.
    Well, I was in rank 90 of glod, this guy was in the top 25. And even after his cute banshee play, I just had alot more stuff than he did. So... yeah. I'm happy.

7. - Top - End - #547
    Ogre in the Playground

Lizardfolk

I haven't played in a couple of months, but I found that roach with a mix of infestors with burrow to work well, even in late game. Its very mobile so you can keep up a lot of bases up for that macro advantage; which you will need since you probably trade resources or even lose most engagements.

With decent micro you should mostly lose roaches, and with good macro you are maxed again before he gets with slow mech to your base with whats left of his forces.

8. - Top - End - #548
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Well, I was in rank 90 of glod, this guy was in the top 25. And even after his cute banshee play, I just had alot more stuff than he did. So... yeah. I'm happy.
    I don't suppose you read Terry Prachett.

9. - Top - End - #549
    Titan in the Playground

I don't suppose you read Terry Prachett.
    Npoe. Thanks for calling me out on the typo.

Yes, this one was intentional.

10. - Top - End - #550
    Titan in the Playground

Well, its happened. I've been demoted to silver league. Yay.

Edit: Actually, being in silver league isn't so bad. I used the knowedge of gold league to know that if my random opponent fast expands against me when I randomed as terran, I can beat him with a 1 base all in. It went swimmingly.
    Last edited by Silverraptor; 2012-09-11 at 10:52 PM.

11. - Top - End - #551
    Bugbear in the Playground

So... I'm not sure who all has been keeping up with the Husky HotS replays, but there have been some great ones. This is one of the best Whitera games I've ever seen.

12. - Top - End - #552
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Othesemo View Post
    So... I'm not sure who all has been keeping up with the Husky HotS replays, but there have been some great ones. This is one of the best Whitera games I've ever seen.
    That game reminded me exactly what Day 9 said in his daily. Swarm hosts are some of the most immobile units out there that they can't defend very well and can easily get out flanked.

13. - Top - End - #553

That game reminded me exactly what Day 9 said in his daily. Swarm hosts are some of the most immobile units out there that they can't defend very well and can easily get out flanked.
    Definitely. It doesn't help that so many zerg players in the replays I've seen just try to mass them and let free units overwhelm the enemy. On the bright side, it lends itself to some amazing come-from-behinds.

14. - Top - End - #554
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Othesemo View Post
    Definitely. It doesn't help that so many zerg players in the replays I've seen just try to mass them and let free units overwhelm the enemy. On the bright side, it lends itself to some amazing come-from-behinds.
    I think something like 6-8 are fine. I'm actually itching to experimenting to using them for turtling and then transitioning into brood lords.

15. - Top - End - #555
    Ettin in the Playground

I'm actually wondering if Swarm Hosts are going to take over for Brood Lords. I'm not really seeing an advantage that Brood Lords have over Swarm Hosts - they cost more, they come out later, they have a worse spawn mechanic, and Swarm Hosts on the move are FASTER than Brood Lords.

16. - Top - End - #556
    Firbolg in the Playground

I'm actually wondering if Swarm Hosts are going to take over for Brood Lords. I'm not really seeing an advantage that Brood Lords have over Swarm Hosts - they cost more, they come out later, they have a worse spawn mechanic, and Swarm Hosts on the move are FASTER than Brood Lords.
    Brood Lords tend to force anti-air. For Terrans they have Thors, Vikings, I think Warhounds can hit air as well.
    Brood Lords might be slow, but they have significant range still. If the Swarm Host units are holding the ground troops in place, Brood Lords are just going to chew them apart.
    Swarm Hosts + Brood Lords are going to be lethal enough as it is, never mind if Infestors are involved.

How popular will Brood Lords be? That is a different question.
    Swarm Hosts + Infestors are pretty awesome, if the opponent already has air dominance, no point in going for Brood Lords. Muta's and Corruptors might get more play though.

Also, Swarm Hosts + Nydus might become a thing. Which would be interesting. Fill the Nydus with Locusts, the Nydus becomes a bit less of an investment.
    ~~Courage is not the lack of fear~~
    Quote Originally Posted by gooddragon1 View Post
    If the party wizard can't survive a supersonic dragon made of iron at epic levels it's his own fault really.
    "In soviet dungeon, aboleth farms you!"
    "Please consult your DM before administering Steve brand Aboleth Mucus.
    Ask your DM if Aboleth Mucus is right for you.
    Side effects include coughing, sneezing, and other flu like symptoms, cancer, breathing water like a fish, loss of dignity, loss of balance, loss of bowel and bladder control."

17. - Top - End - #557

Quote Originally Posted by Karoht View Post
    Also, Swarm Hosts + Nydus might become a thing. Which would be interesting. Fill the Nydus with Locusts, the Nydus becomes a bit less of an investment.
    Yeah, that's what the Zerg tried in the replay I linked to earlier. It's pretty devastating.

18. - Top - End - #558
    Titan in the Playground

From what I've seen, the warhound has no anti-air. I think they got rid of that at the same time they decided to keep the thor as is.

19. - Top - End - #559

Ah, so they are keeping the Thor. Excellent.
    If the party wizard can't survive a supersonic dragon made of iron at epic levels it's his own fault really.
    Side effects include coughing, sneezing, and other flu like symptoms, cancer, breathing water like a fish, loss of dignity, loss of balance, loss of bowel and bladder control."

20. - Top - End - #560
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Karoht View Post
    Ah, so they are keeping the Thor. Excellent.
    Well, there was the thor when Day 9 was playing HotS ladder on his stream.

@Kyeudo: Why would people get guardians when they had lurkers in Brood War?

21. - Top - End - #561
    Ettin in the Playground

@Kyeudo: Why would people get guardians when they had lurkers in Brood War?
    Guardians and Lurkers had different vulnerabilities. Brood Lords and Swarm Hosts seem to have the same vulnerabilities.

22. - Top - End - #562
    Ettin in the Playground

Got another game for you guys. It's been so long since I last did the Brood Lord/Infestor deathball that I got blindsided by some Thor counterattacks. Yes, Thors.

23. - Top - End - #563
    Titan in the Playground

Guardians and Lurkers had different vulnerabilities. Brood Lords and Swarm Hosts seem to have the same vulnerabilities.
    What diffenert vulnerabilities did they have?

24. - Top - End - #564
    Ettin in the Playground

Try running a pack of stimmed marines up on Lurkers.

The only place where Swarm Hosts might be worse than Brood Lords is assaulting an entrenched tank line, since the Brood Lords can float forward and deliver their broodlings right on top of the tanks.

25. - Top - End - #565

Try running a pack of stimmed marines up on Lurkers.

The only place where Swarm Hosts might be worse than Brood Lords is assaulting an entrenched tank line, since the Brood Lords can float forward and deliver their broodlings right on top of the tanks.
    And like Lurkers, solid detection and scouting goes a long way to surviving their onslaught. Especially if Swarm Hosts get to Burrow + Move.

I shudder to think of how effective Swarm Hosts + Banelings will be.

26. - Top - End - #566
    Ogre in the Playground

Lizardfolk

I think swarmhosts will be great as a harass unit and as a stepping stone to later tech; a way to delay that push before broodlords/ultras.

I don't think they would replace broodlords, they compliment them.

27. - Top - End - #567
    Troll in the Playground

Meh, in my total noob opinion, Swarm Hosts are kind of weak.
    They look really cool, but i really don't see them working.
    Scouting? just have a few Lings patroling.
    Harass? After enough time every race has enough ranged units to deal with locusts with minimal(zero) losses (unless you decide to mass Swarm hosts).

The only time i really see them as effective is how i saw them played in the presentation video. Burrow them near a ledge, they spawn locusts which head straight to the enemy tank + bunker line. Tank fire does collateral damage to their own structures too.
    And that's cool.
    (Although i'd say this could be replicated with zerglings as well)

Also, if you invest too much in them they're very vulnerable (they're slow and take some time to burrow and drop the first set of units) and not really good as an attacking unit: you'd need a lot of other units to protect them while they advance, burrow and begin spawning.

That being said, if they get burrow + move they'd be really good, in mass. And also that Nydus worm thing looks cool
    Quote Originally Posted by actual quote from this forum
    So yeah. your wrong.
    Check out Camp Archimedes, a (slightly homebrew) mercenary camp full of interesting units. A great addition to any campaign (in my very biased opinion)

28. - Top - End - #568
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gandariel View Post
    Meh, in my total noob opinion, Swarm Hosts are kind of weak.
    They look really cool, but i really don't see them working.
    Scouting? just have a few Lings patroling.
    Harass? After enough time every race has enough ranged units to deal with locusts with minimal(zero) losses (unless you decide to mass Swarm hosts).

The only time i really see them as effective is how i saw them played in the presentation video. Burrow them near a ledge, they spawn locusts which head straight to the enemy tank + bunker line. Tank fire does collateral damage to their own structures too.
    And that's cool.
    (Although i'd say this could be replicated with zerglings as well)

Also, if you invest too much in them they're very vulnerable (they're slow and take some time to burrow and drop the first set of units) and not really good as an attacking unit: you'd need a lot of other units to protect them while they advance, burrow and begin spawning.

That being said, if they get burrow + move they'd be really good, in mass. And also that Nydus worm thing looks cool
    You don't scout or harass with Swarm Hosts any more than you scout or harass with Siege Tanks. That would be stupid.

Swarm Hosts, from everything I've been seeing, are potent in a straight up fight. As soon as they are burrowed, they put up an endlessly regenerating wall of meat that synergizes well with roaches, hydralisks, and infestors. They can push hard, they can defend better than almost anything in the Zerg arsenal, and they are still fairly mobile. They can even advance under cover of their own units.

Almost anything you've ever seen Terrans do with Siege Tanks, you can do with Swarm Hosts. Unless you consider Siege Tanks to be weak, don't mock the Swarm Host.

29. - Top - End - #569
    Titan in the Playground

Another game of playing silver league. Keep in mind that I'm playing as random, and I recognize my play is really bumpy compared to my gold play. But mainly I just need to retrain my fingers on where the buttons are.

30. - Top - End - #570

@Swarm Hosts are Kind of Weak
    The following is not a personal attack against the person who said that. Please do not be offended, I'm merely responding to your quote as it stuck out well.

I've seen 5 of them hold out against an impressive number of Stalkers (10+) with Zealot support(also 10+). And the free units it spawns were weakening their opponents with every wave. And said opposition was not actually gaining ground.

When you do have enough to gain ground, you do it one of two ways. You still make very slow progress towards the Swarm Hosts and are completely engaged in killing them (making one crazy vulnerable to all kinds of counter attack) or you steamroll them like they weren't there. The fun thing is, the number of units required to steamroll even the afforementioned 5 swarm hosts was eventually some 20+ stalkers, 5 immortals, and 10+ zealots.

2 Swarm Hosts can absolutely wreck a Gateway walloff in about 3 waves, and that isn't very much time. They chew through Zerglings easily enough, Marines are fodder, Marauders with concussion grenades seem to do decently but will still take damage, even siege tanks have a rough time of it holding out against these things. And they are the perfect cover for banelings to roll in behind even if there are siege tanks in high number.
    Colossi don't even do that great against them.

Don't get me wrong, they're expensive (200M 100G I think?). But they are early game tech, and two of them alone can contain another player in the early game. They also force the opponent to get detection in the early game if they actually want to stop the onslaught and maybe get out and expand. So to even leave your first base you have to get detection (easy enough for terran, earlier robo for protoss, overseer for zerg in the early game seems a bit odd), so you are down those resources and time to even do anything about it.

And god help you if an opponent succeeds in getting a drop of even one of these things in your base.