New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 22 of 50 FirstFirst ... 12131415161718192021222324252627282930313247 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #631
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default Re: Starcraft 2: 8 Medivac drop

Quote Originally Posted by Mutant Sheep View Post
    ...*struggles to understand this english*

*glifurnle*

Isnt the shield cutting up the alien nommng you? why not shoot that one?
    You'll learn that sometimes (read:most) silver raptor is a bit special, and ignoring it is what to do. :P
    Quote Originally Posted by Alabenson
    Evil Intelligence is knowing the precise ritual that will allow you to destroy the peaceful kingdom that banished you.

Evil Wisdom is understanding that you probably shouldn’t perform said ritual while you’re standing in the estimated blast radius.

2. - Top - End - #632
    Troll in the Playground

Have you seen how the newly-patched Widow Mines work? They're SO strong
    Quote Originally Posted by actual quote from this forum
    So yeah. your wrong.
    Check out Camp Archimedes, a (slightly homebrew) mercenary camp full of interesting units. A great addition to any campaign (in my very biased opinion)

3. - Top - End - #633
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by BobVosh View Post
    You'll learn that sometimes (read:most) silver raptor is a bit special, and ignoring it is what to do. :P
    I love you too.
    My own webcomic. Idiosyncrasy.
    Paladin Academy: Chapter 2 Part 28

4. - Top - End - #634
    Troll in the Playground

its at... 5 PM eastern, right? I can MAKE IT MAYBE!
    Can only thank GitP for being so good for so long.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Solaris View Post
    If it helps, think of me as the Agent from Serenity. Just not that good a fighter. Also, I have a mustache.
    Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    I'm probably hilarious far off, aren't I?
    Quote Originally Posted by Telonius View Post
    This is not... the greatest story Tolkien ever wrote. No... This is just a tribute.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dracon1us View Post
    don't feed the troll...

A pile of thanks piled on other thanks to Teddy for photorealistic avatar.

5. - Top - End - #635
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

I'm getting food, then I'll be on.

Quote Originally Posted by Silverraptor View Post
    I love you too.
    shh, we can't speak of our love here!
    Last edited by BobVosh; 2012-10-07 at 03:57 PM.
    Evil Intelligence is knowing the precise ritual that will allow you to destroy the peaceful kingdom that banished you.

Evil Wisdom is understanding that you probably shouldn’t perform said ritual while you’re standing in the estimated blast radius.

6. - Top - End - #636
    Troll in the Playground

If this work goes well, And I have a chance for th comuter, I might make it. But naturally, some family thing I didnt know about until two hours before it starts is gonna happen in an hour, so grooooan.

Oh just go and make it official, bob the silvervosh.

Chat channel is "Gitp", right? IT IS EMPTYYYY.
    Last edited by Mutant Sheep; 2012-10-07 at 04:40 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    If it helps, think of me as the Agent from Serenity. Just not that good a fighter. Also, I have a mustache.
    This is not... the greatest story Tolkien ever wrote. No... This is just a tribute.
    don't feed the troll...

7. - Top - End - #637
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Sorry, I am there now though :D

8. - Top - End - #638
    Halfling in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gandariel View Post
    Have you seen how the newly-patched Widow Mines work? They're SO strong
    Honestly, I think parts of the Starcraft community are starting to get tired of the major over haul of the unit designs. At this point we've seen:

Warhounds -> no Warhounds
    Widow Mines attach to units -> widow mines are burrowed banelings -> widow mines are terran swarm hosts
    oracle can block mining/reveal area -> oracle can block mining/grant immunity to fungals -> oracle can block mining/suck minerals out of buildings
    Mothership core stays attached to nexus -> mothership floats around -> purify can now be used to give nexus an attack and core attaches -> purify can be used on nexus and core doesn't attach

I know that beta testing is for the purpose of making sure that nothing is ridiculously imbalanced, but it feels like every time I get adjusted to how things are working, units get completely redesigned. So I guess I'm just going to hold off on HOTS until the actual game is finished and is released. Though I wish the casters I follow would get back into the WOL scene again.

9. - Top - End - #639
    Ogre in the Playground

So I believe the honourable Mutant Sheep and I made tentative plans for a match at some point. I should like to make good on that -- I may be available later this evening.

Flaniel#1395 [NA]

10. - Top - End - #640
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by LaughingGnoll View Post
    Honestly, I think parts of the Starcraft community are starting to get tired of the major over haul of the unit designs. At this point we've seen:

Widow Mines attach to units -> widow mines are burrowed banelings -> widow mines are terran swarm hosts
    oracle can block mining/reveal area -> oracle can block mining/grant immunity to fungals -> oracle can block mining/suck minerals out of buildings
    Mothership core stays attached to nexus -> mothership floats around -> purify can now be used to give nexus an attack and core attaches -> purify can be used on nexus and core doesn't attach

I know that beta testing is for the purpose of making sure that nothing is ridiculously imbalanced, but it feels like every time I get adjusted to how things are working, units get completely redesigned. So I guess I'm just going to hold off on HOTS until the actual game is finished and is released. Though I wish the casters I follow would get back into the WOL scene again.
    Frankly I'm glad they are doing big changes like that. That said I agree I would rather watch WoL rather than a constantly changing meta like HotS is.

11. - Top - End - #641
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kneenibble View Post
    So I believe the honourable Mutant Sheep and I made tentative plans for a match at some point. I should like to make good on that -- I may be available later this evening.

Flaniel#1395 [NA]
    Sadly I cant make it tomorrow and this week is a..weirded schedule (PSAT, PLAN, Dentist... But TECHNICALLY i dot have school wednesday to friday, so its like, a lonnnng weekend. But psat is time taker and study time and augh. *giggles about Canadian Thanksgivimg*
    Spoiler
    Show
    don't feed the troll...

12. - Top - End - #642
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mutant Sheep View Post
    Sadly I cant make it tomorrow and this week is a..weirded schedule (PSAT, PLAN, Dentist... But TECHNICALLY i dot have school wednesday to friday, so its like, a lonnnng weekend. But psat is time taker and study time and augh. *giggles about Canadian Thanksgivimg*
    No problem. Whenever you have time. My ID is in the pool now, at least.

Canadian Thanksgiving is a thing of beauty and dignity not to be giggled at, thou woolgathering clod ;_____;

Nay, I cannot stay mad at thee. *pets wool*
    Last edited by Kneenibble; 2012-10-08 at 11:26 PM.

13. - Top - End - #643
    Troll in the Playground

No problem. Whenever you have time. My ID is in the pool now, at least.

Canadian Thanksgiving is a thing of beauty and dignity not to be giggled at, thou woolgathering clod ;_____;

Nay, I cannot stay mad at thee. *pets wool*
    Yeah, I'll see when I ahve time and try and let you know.

The grand Tradition of Canada being... Canada is there solely to eb laughed at, here in our grand States.

*baaaaaaa* <cuddle>

knee just zerged meh. Twice.
    Last edited by Mutant Sheep; 2012-10-09 at 11:51 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    don't feed the troll...

14. - Top - End - #644
    Firbolg in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Welcome to Blizzard, where nothing is constant.
    Personally, I think it's from too many years of patching WoW. Nothing is solid anymore, everything is mercurial.
    If they want SC2 to be a serious, pro sport thing with spectators who will actually pay to watch games, they can't go changing the rules whenever the whim strikes them.

15. - Top - End - #645
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Acanous View Post
    Personally, I think it's from too many years of patching WoW. Nothing is solid anymore, everything is mercurial.
    If they want SC2 to be a serious, pro sport thing with spectators who will actually pay to watch games, they can't go changing the rules whenever the whim strikes them.
    And they don't. But that is a beta, it is meant to be mercurial, because they are still trying to find out what works and what don't. The WoL beta was exactly the same, and the metagame evolved overtime on that too (WoL's metagame changed quite a bit the last two years too).

It will happen again in LotV, I am positive it also happened during the transitions from Reign of Chaos to The Frozen Throne and from SC to Brood War. It's just how it works.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Homebrewing

16. - Top - End - #646
    Dwarf in the Playground

DrowGuy

wha.... why are widow mines.... super ultra lurkers that can attack air... now....

why did they think this would be balanced again? :l, who is designing this, some bronze league terran?

17. - Top - End - #647
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Stille_Nacht View Post
    wha.... why are widow mines.... super ultra lurkers that can attack air... now....

why did they think this would be balanced again? :l, who is designing this, some bronze league terran?
    Yeah, I agree they're broken. They're even going through Immortals Harden shields.

18. - Top - End - #648
    Halfling in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Draken View Post
    And they don't. But that is a beta, it is meant to be mercurial, because they are still trying to find out what works and what don't. The WoL beta was exactly the same, and the metagame evolved overtime on that too (WoL's metagame changed quite a bit the last two years too).

It will happen again in LotV, I am positive it also happened during the transitions from Reign of Chaos to The Frozen Throne and from SC to Brood War. It's just how it works.
    Actually, the WoL Beta was quite different. While I'll concede that some abilities and upgrades got removed up to the 18th patch, there weren't nearly as many larger changes such as "removing an entire unit" and "repurposing the same unit several times". Most of the changes were adjusting individual units in cost, supply, unit typing, etc. Of course those changes make a huge difference to the meta-game, but not on the same scale that they've done with the Widow Mine.

19. - Top - End - #649
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LaughingGnoll View Post
    Actually, the WoL Beta was quite different. While I'll concede that some abilities and upgrades got removed up to the 18th patch, there weren't nearly as many larger changes such as "removing an entire unit" and "repurposing the same unit several times". Most of the changes were adjusting individual units in cost, supply, unit typing, etc. Of course those changes make a huge difference to the meta-game, but not on the same scale that they've done with the Widow Mine.
    New units in Blizzard games get idiotically powerful buffs in the middle of their kinky nerf session. Of course, they lost their ears long before this to preserve their sanity from the Blizz forums. (Because the units themselves, they have accounts. )
    Spoiler
    Show
    don't feed the troll...

20. - Top - End - #650
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Acanous View Post
    It's already an eSport with rather a popular following. Yeup, people will still pay to be spectators regardless of changing rules.
    Other eSports have had changing rules, they still have spectators.
    Most people paying attention to eSports games accept this as a given.

People complain if things become too static as well. In the video game world, being static is probably worse than being dynamic, as people will just move to the next game if there isn't something to change it up. It goes both ways.

Lastly, beta is beta is beta. Change is a near constant in beta testing cycles. Consider that Blizzard was entirely willing to pull other new units or scrap abilities on units and start completely from scratch (Reploid), as opposed to launching with them and having to fix them later. Not too many companies out there are that commited to getting it right, to the point where they will say 'screw the investors and their demands, we are delaying shipping this product until it is better.'
    ~~Courage is not the lack of fear~~
    Quote Originally Posted by gooddragon1 View Post
    If the party wizard can't survive a supersonic dragon made of iron at epic levels it's his own fault really.
    "In soviet dungeon, aboleth farms you!"
    "Please consult your DM before administering Steve brand Aboleth Mucus.
    Ask your DM if Aboleth Mucus is right for you.
    Side effects include coughing, sneezing, and other flu like symptoms, cancer, breathing water like a fish, loss of dignity, loss of balance, loss of bowel and bladder control."

21. - Top - End - #651
    Ogre in the Playground

Anyone remember when roaches started with 2 armour and cost 1 supply?

22. - Top - End - #652
    Troll in the Playground

Those were the daaaaaaaaays. (Because toss and zerg need a unit that costs one-single supply that isn't a worker, obviously. *grump* *Did not do the old Starcraft, or the beta except for once*)
    Spoiler
    Show
    don't feed the troll...

23. - Top - End - #653
    Titan in the Playground

Nope. But I heard about it and no one would build maraders then either.

24. - Top - End - #654
    Ettin in the Playground

Remember when Fungal Growth lasted eight seconds and nobody complained about "removing micro from the game"?

The infestor had a ton of spell changes during the WoL beta, as I recall. Roaches and hydras bounced around as well.

Did the original tempest (melee carrier) ever enter the beta? Or was it cut in alpha?
    Last edited by Draken; 2012-10-12 at 06:03 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Homebrewing

25. - Top - End - #655
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Remember the planet cracker Mothership ability?
    Or the pheonix overcharge(i think it was called) ability?

Session tomorrow. I'm not going to be there, as it is Mom's birthday, but there you have it folks.
    Last edited by BobVosh; 2012-10-13 at 07:57 PM.

26. - Top - End - #656
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by BobVosh View Post
    Remember the planet cracker Mothership ability?
    Or the pheonix overcharge(i think it was called) ability?

Session tomorrow. I'm not going to be there, as it is Mom's birthday, but there you have it folks.
    Just tell her that starcraft > real life obligations. I am sure she will understand.

27. - Top - End - #657
    Ettin in the Playground

Alright, I just played a game and I have no idea how I could have dealt with what he did. He just endlessly pushed with huge marine armies, which he supported through a ridiculous number of orbital commands and 80+ workers. I did my normal anti-bio army, infestor/ling, but he kept pushing so hard that my infestors were almost out of energy.

Someone take a look and tell me what I was supposed to do differently.

28. - Top - End - #658
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kyeudo View Post
    Alright, I just played a game and I have no idea how I could have dealt with what he did. He just endlessly pushed with huge marine armies, which he supported through a ridiculous number of orbital commands and 80+ workers. I did my normal anti-bio army, infestor/ling, but he kept pushing so hard that my infestors were almost out of energy.

Someone take a look and tell me what I was supposed to do differently.
    everything was good until the 8 min mark where you saw he had a 3rd CC building. you needed to either take a 3rd in or put on some pressure in response to that. you waited way too long to expand to your third. this allows him to gain a massive economic advantage which he holds throughout the game.

At the 12 min mark you are just about to start your 3rd/4th but he has an income advantage over you which is really bad.

at the 14:10 min mark you attack into his planetary and 2 bunkers at his 3rd
    this was pretty much all in at this point because unless you did significant damage he would be at a massive advantage. You did damage because you destroyed his 3rd and some scvs, but it wasnt enough.

at the 15 min mark he has around 90 scvs and is mining from 3 bases and about to take his 4th. You on the other hand have about 60 drones mining from 3 bases but you do have a 4th made.

You don't really do any other aggression despite being far behind economically and eventually slowly die by trying to play a standard game with a 30 worker disadvantage.

TL:DR you got outmacroed because your opponent took a huge risk and got away with it.
    Last edited by DarkMemnarch; 2012-10-15 at 12:12 AM.

29. - Top - End - #659
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

Blizzard should just realize that BW is unsurpassable and re-release that with some GUI polish as HotS.

I mean... spider mines? Goliaths? Lurkers? Arbiters? Dark Swarm? Come on blizzard, we aren't dumb.

30. - Top - End - #660
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Spuddles View Post
    Blizzard should just realize that BW is unsurpassable and re-release that with some GUI polish as HotS.

I mean... spider mines? Goliaths? Lurkers? Arbiters? Dark Swarm? Come on blizzard, we aren't dumb.
    They are pretty much are the same units as their predecessors with only the slightest of changes. I am glad i am not the only one who thought this.