New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 50 FirstFirst 1234567891011121328 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Starcraft 2: 8 Medivac drop

i just had the best 3v3 you will ever see. the opponents strategy was very strange but we somehow won despite if that.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Firbolg in the Playground

Can you elaborate further? What made you counter this unorthodox strategy in the way you did?
    ~~Courage is not the lack of fear~~
    Quote Originally Posted by gooddragon1 View Post
    If the party wizard can't survive a supersonic dragon made of iron at epic levels it's his own fault really.
    "In soviet dungeon, aboleth farms you!"
    "Please consult your DM before administering Steve brand Aboleth Mucus.
    Ask your DM if Aboleth Mucus is right for you.
    Side effects include coughing, sneezing, and other flu like symptoms, cancer, breathing water like a fish, loss of dignity, loss of balance, loss of bowel and bladder control."

3. - Top - End - #63
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Karoht View Post
    Can you elaborate further? What made you counter this unorthodox strategy in the way you did?
    i noticed they were going all in so i sat back and massed units so when they went all in we were able to defend and win

4. - Top - End - #64
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DarkMemnarch View Post
    i just had the best 3v3 you will ever see. the opponents strategy was very strange but we somehow won despite if that.
    What the crap did I just watch?...
    My own webcomic. Idiosyncrasy.
    Paladin Academy: Chapter 2 Part 28

5. - Top - End - #65
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Weekly session is tomorrow :D

And for once I don't have work or any plans so I should be there for a lot longer ^^
    Quote Originally Posted by Alabenson
    Evil Intelligence is knowing the precise ritual that will allow you to destroy the peaceful kingdom that banished you.

Evil Wisdom is understanding that you probably shouldn’t perform said ritual while you’re standing in the estimated blast radius.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Bugbear in the Playground

Could you add me to the list of NA players? Battlenet name is Othesemo, pilot name is Alarin, and my identifier is 214.

7. - Top - End - #67
    Titan in the Playground

So, I finally did the placement match and got gold. Thing is, I think I had the best early game I did in a very long time. Right up until the mutalisks popped that my fingers were starting to say, "Hey, we're not use to this. Give us a break!"

Anyways, in my mind, the banshee radar was going off for some reason. I don't know why, but from what few tell-tale signs, I was just sure my opponent was going banshees subconsiously. I decided I couldn't ignore myself any more and started taking the appropriate steps for it.

And Load and Behold!

Edit: Okay, I have a question. Like an absolute serious question. Why are gold league players amazed when 1 bases armies get destroyed by 3 bases zerg armies? This is the second game in a row, I don't get it.
    Last edited by Silverraptor; 2012-02-17 at 08:44 PM.

8. - Top - End - #68

So I've got a question. I almost always play protoss, and I've started to try out proxying via the photon cannon. I've managed to generally destroy a fair number of ai and real opponents using it. Is there a good way to defend against it? By the time my opponent can actually build units capable of fighting, I've gotten my first cannon. It can easily destroy the first zealot or marine they produce, and I can keep building more fairly quickly. After that, I don't see how it can really be defended against. Surely there must be a way?

9. - Top - End - #69
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Othesemo View Post
    So I've got a question. I almost always play protoss, and I've started to try out proxying via the photon cannon. I've managed to generally destroy a fair number of ai and real opponents using it. Is there a good way to defend against it? By the time my opponent can actually build units capable of fighting, I've gotten my first cannon. It can easily destroy the first zealot or marine they produce, and I can keep building more fairly quickly. After that, I don't see how it can really be defended against. Surely there must be a way?
    you need to pull workers from the line to kill the cannon

10. - Top - End - #70

OldWizardGuy

Yep, the counter to a cannon rush is effective scouting+Workers. Protoss cannon openers used to be fairly common, but decreased in popularity as it's a cash sink that will delay your tech tree if it fails.

Of course, if you are warping in the pylon outside the enemy base and they see it, run workers over to counter, then the 25 you lose by cancelling is evened out by the time their pulled workers were away from the field.

That'd be why proxy pylon is so popular.

11. - Top - End - #71

Just had a wonderful game. I'm realizing that I needed to scout the right side bases a lot earlier, and should have gotten templar to help deal with the infestors, but all in all, everything turned up quite nicely. I expanded during my early attacks, and managed to have the most expos in the game by a huuuuuuge margin. mixed blessing with the replacement tech built at my expo when they went for the throat the first time, but worked out well enough. So glad my consistent ally is remembering how to not just do a death ball. Serves as a better reason for me to figure that out, and he keeps people off balance quite well at this point now.

In other news, protoss-as-zerg is a funny mindset to play with. "Oh, problem? throw units at them, I can make more somewhat quickly. who cares if i lose a ton, I've got tons of expos!"
    The Complete Warrior rules on losing prerequisites for a PrC apply to all books. This bothers me enough to sig it. If you disagree, please PM me, I'm down with being proven wrong.

Steam: Thiyr (The Great and Powerful Bulbasaur).
    SC2: RianL.377. Hit me up for some SC2 if you're on.

Bulbabulbabulbabulba...SAUR.

12. - Top - End - #72
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Kyeudo View Post
    Good news! I went from 73rd in Platinum to 1st in Diamond in less than 3 hours.

Bad news! My ZvZ is trash. I lost this game and I have no clue why. I seem to have the same or better drone count, same or better upgrades, same or better positioning in battle, roughly the same apm, same number of bases, yet I lose every battle and ultimately the game. Can someone see why?
    The big thing is despite you had more drones, you had them almost all stacked up. So you mined out your main really fast, but had almost no drones in the natural. Then you moved them all to the natural. (This is after he demolished your natural once)

So he had about 250ish mineral income difference above you for a decent amount of time. This gradually accrued to the point where it was a pretty massive difference.
    Evil Intelligence is knowing the precise ritual that will allow you to destroy the peaceful kingdom that banished you.

Evil Wisdom is understanding that you probably shouldn’t perform said ritual while you’re standing in the estimated blast radius.

13. - Top - End - #73
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thiyr View Post
    Just had a wonderful game. I'm realizing that I needed to scout the right side bases a lot earlier, and should have gotten templar to help deal with the infestors, but all in all, everything turned up quite nicely. I expanded during my early attacks, and managed to have the most expos in the game by a huuuuuuge margin. mixed blessing with the replacement tech built at my expo when they went for the throat the first time, but worked out well enough. So glad my consistent ally is remembering how to not just do a death ball. Serves as a better reason for me to figure that out, and he keeps people off balance quite well at this point now.

In other news, protoss-as-zerg is a funny mindset to play with. "Oh, problem? throw units at them, I can make more somewhat quickly. who cares if i lose a ton, I've got tons of expos!"
    "My life for Auir, Executor!"

Yes, yes. Now hurry up and die already. I have 5 more waiting to be warped in.

14. - Top - End - #74
    Dwarf in the Playground

i have received a request from Silverraptor to post some of my replays. Here is one, i might post more in the not so distant future.

15. - Top - End - #75
    Titan in the Playground

So, this is the first game I faced today.
    A must watch.

Edit: Wow. I faced my first opponent on the new ladder that actually expanded, and rather quickly too. However, I stupidly double expanded, taking advantage of his complete non-aggression. 3 base zerg still beats 2 base terran.

Well, my bonus pool is 0 and I wasn't able to play out a real game. lol.
    Last edited by Silverraptor; 2012-02-19 at 12:16 AM.

16. - Top - End - #76
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Silverraptor View Post
    So, this is the first game I faced today.
    A must watch.

Edit: Wow. I faced my first opponent on the new ladder that actually expanded, and rather quickly too. However, I stupidly double expanded, taking advantage of his complete non-aggression. 3 base zerg still beats 2 base terran.

Well, my bonus pool is 0 and I wasn't able to play out a real game. lol.
    silver wants me to post this

and here is another tvz

17. - Top - End - #77

"My life for Auir, Executor!"

Yes, yes. Now hurry up and die already. I have 5 more waiting to be warped in.

What? You just killed all the stalkers? That's okay, I killed a few roaches first. I'll be fine, We Have Reserves.
    The Complete Warrior rules on losing prerequisites for a PrC apply to all books. This bothers me enough to sig it. If you disagree, please PM me, I'm down with being proven wrong.

18. - Top - End - #78
    Ettin in the Playground

Hey, did you know that 30 lings can hold off 40 roaches for five minutes? Behold the power of speedlings.

19. - Top - End - #79
    Ogre in the Playground

How am I not on here??
    Cybren.412 on north America, diamond league, grinding out games

20. - Top - End - #80

OldWizardGuy

If anyone here makes it to Master or Grandmaster, I demand a guide.
    Specifically, a thread titled "Why you suck at starcraft (and how to suck less)"

I've been recently grinding out the accolades for custom VS AI (Done Very Hard, everything except "Get 100 wins". That'll take a whiiiile)
    I've noticed that the Starcraft AI is what I like to refer to as "Smartarded". They won't attack anywhere they haven't scouted, and while using stealth is next to useless against them at first, if you've got ghosts or high templar kicking around, it's not like they make multiple layers of detection.

Silly Zerg AI, only having three overseers...

21. - Top - End - #81
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Acanous View Post
    If anyone here makes it to Master or Grandmaster, I demand a guide.
    Specifically, a thread titled "Why you suck at starcraft (and how to suck less)"

I've been recently grinding out the accolades for custom VS AI (Done Very Hard, everything except "Get 100 wins". That'll take a whiiiile)
    I've noticed that the Starcraft AI is what I like to refer to as "Smartarded". They won't attack anywhere they haven't scouted, and while using stealth is next to useless against them at first, if you've got ghosts or high templar kicking around, it's not like they make multiple layers of detection.

Silly Zerg AI, only having three overseers...
    Ten reasons you (and I) suck:

1) You're not building enough workers.
    2) You're not building enough units or depots/pylons/overlords.
    3 You don't identify when its necessary to expand.
    4) You're not macroing while you micro your army, and you're probably not microing at all.
    5) You're not paying attention to timings.
    6) When you lose you blame your opponent and not yourself.
    7) You're afraid to ladder.
    8) You ONLY ladder and never get any consistent practice.
    9) You don't have playing-buddies to share replays with, talk strategy, and grind customs.
    10) You're not building enough workers, units, and depots.

22. - Top - End - #82

Honestly, I'm going through the campaign again, trying to get my 'build constantly' thing down pat. I managed to pull it off well for a few missions, but terribly for others.

Media Blitz. I figure if I can expand to all 3 bases and keep up constant production and constantly keep the Odin and a decent sized force moving (with decent micro) then I might not suck completely.

EDIT:
    Calgary Barcraft this weekend. MLG. Woooo!
    Last edited by Karoht; 2012-02-20 at 05:28 PM.
    ~~Courage is not the lack of fear~~
    Quote Originally Posted by gooddragon1 View Post
    If the party wizard can't survive a supersonic dragon made of iron at epic levels it's his own fault really.
    "In soviet dungeon, aboleth farms you!"
    "Please consult your DM before administering Steve brand Aboleth Mucus.
    Ask your DM if Aboleth Mucus is right for you.
    Side effects include coughing, sneezing, and other flu like symptoms, cancer, breathing water like a fish, loss of dignity, loss of balance, loss of bowel and bladder control."

23. - Top - End - #83

So. Had a great game earlier today. That phoenix range upgrade? Super awesome. makes it a ton easier to play the "kite the muta" game, and at least as far as that game went, meant i could deal with mutas with phoenix without having to match numbers. Was outnumbered, but managed to do well anyway. I'd upload a replay, but sctemple is being a whiny little punk right now. prob be up in the afternoon though.

24. - Top - End - #84
    Dwarf in the Playground

Why do people keep all ining me on the ladder. Its getting really annoying.

This is how you fend off a 7 pool when someone is trying to put spines in your base.

This is how you fend off a 3 rax with the scvs pulled.

25. - Top - End - #85
    Pixie in the Playground

Came back to this game after a few month hiatus, and switched over to NA. Finished my placement matches, and got placed into Diamond. Figured I'd throw my name into the GiTP Starcraft players.

Name: Stasgard
    Code: 720

Gonna start grinding me some games, and then rage quit after a few weeks as always. Look forward to be able to playing some of you guys. The meta of ladder tends to annoy me.
    Last edited by Stasgard; 2012-02-23 at 03:30 AM.

26. - Top - End - #86
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Stasgard View Post
    Came back to this game after a few month hiatus, and switched over to NA. Finished my placement matches, and got placed into Diamond. Figured I'd throw my name into the GiTP Starcraft players.

Name: Stasgard
    Code: 720

Gonna start grinding me some games, and then rage quit after a few weeks as always. Look forward to be able to playing some of you guys. The meta of ladder tends to annoy me.
    You tend to get allined/cheesed alot in diamond, or at least that is how most of my games tend to go. There are times however that you do get to play a macro game against people and its really fun.
    Last edited by DarkMemnarch; 2012-02-23 at 03:42 AM.

27. - Top - End - #87
    Ettin in the Playground

Odd, I see alot of stable plays.

28. - Top - End - #88
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

I can't decide between barcraft this Saturday, or the thing we do on this forum.

29. - Top - End - #89
    Titan in the Playground

So, I don't seem to understand zvz at all. I don't know why. I hate staying on 1 base to long, yet when I try to expand I just die instantly.

However, ZvP I seem to understand quite well. Let them wall in, wait a bit, then send and overseer in. If they have a twilight counsil, no problem. If they have a stargate, plot down a few spore crawlers and a hydra den and its still no problem. Keep them on 2 base and harass the 3rd whenever they try, its just so...natural. Completely different from ZvZ.

I need a ZvZ strat that allows me to expand fast without dying to lings when going roaches or dying to roaches when going banelings.

30. - Top - End - #90
    Ettin in the Playground

So, I don't seem to understand zvz at all. I don't know why. I hate staying on 1 base to long, yet when I try to expand I just die instantly.

However, ZvP I seem to understand quite well. Let them wall in, wait a bit, then send and overseer in. If they have a twilight counsil, no problem. If they have a stargate, plot down a few spore crawlers and a hydra den and its still no problem. Keep them on 2 base and harass the 3rd whenever they try, its just so...natural. Completely different from ZvZ.

I need a ZvZ strat that allows me to expand fast without dying to lings when going roaches or dying to roaches when going banelings.
    Do what I do. Scout on 9. If you don't see cheese, 13 Hatch, 15 pool. You will get out 4 lings just as a 13 gas, 13 pool build can put 4 lings at your base. This leaves you defensive in the early game, but it gets you that first expo and probably an economic edge since you can use spines to fight your battles and drone up.