New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 41 of 50 FirstFirst ... 163132333435363738394041424344454647484950 LastLast
Results 1,201 to 1,230 of 1492
  1. - Top - End - #1201
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Starcraft 2: 8 Medivac drop

Quote Originally Posted by Talesin View Post
    I'm playing through the campaign at the moment. I've been really out of touch with the game, i've not played in ages, but I found the missions were criminally easy on normal. But that's probably that i'm not a bad player, was platinum back in S1 and WoL was the first time i'd really played the starcraft series.

Overall I think it's fun, i'm enjoying the story line and I quite like that you collect a mishmash of characters that each have an interesting dialogue as part of the story. I agree with some of the units coming in too late and the earlier levels are really a case of "just give me some damn mutas/infestors/other zerg unit so I can pwn this level quickly and move on".

As a quick question, I sided with Tosh in my first play through of the WoL campaign (I think I went Tosh, Nova, Tosh as I went through on normal, hard and then Brutal) and then
    Spoiler
    Show
    Potential Spoiler for the storyline
    Spoiler
    Show
    Nova is one who captured Jim during the early campaign levels. Is this different if you sided with Nova in the earlier campaign?
    Spoiler
    Show
    No. She has different dialog thats like "thanks for helping me. Now i'm still capturing you."
    My own webcomic. Idiosyncrasy.
    Paladin Academy: Chapter 2 Part 28

2. - Top - End - #1202
    Ogre in the Playground

So, um, anyone here a fan of Bronze League Heroes? That's the series that really got me into Starcraft again. ^^''

3. - Top - End - #1203
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tectonic Robot View Post
    So, um, anyone here a fan of Bronze League Heroes? That's the series that really got me into Starcraft again. ^^''
    I enjoy it quite a bit. It makes me feel better about my own skill level
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheesegear View Post
    Girlfriend and Parents: Why do you spend so much money on that stuff?
    Me: Would you rather I spent all my money on alcohol like others in my peer group?
    G&P: You keep spending as much money as you want!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Bossing Around Mad Cats for Fun and Profit: Let's Play MechCommander 2!

Kicking this LP into overdrive: Let's Play StarCraft 2!

4. - Top - End - #1204
    Troll in the Playground

Thank you so much for telling me that exists. Computer threw its OS away back in March and I completely missed my Husky dose since then. And i loved that Warcraft lets play too. xD
    Can only thank GitP for being so good for so long.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Solaris View Post
    If it helps, think of me as the Agent from Serenity. Just not that good a fighter. Also, I have a mustache.
    Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    I'm probably hilarious far off, aren't I?
    Quote Originally Posted by Telonius View Post
    This is not... the greatest story Tolkien ever wrote. No... This is just a tribute.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dracon1us View Post
    don't feed the troll...

A pile of thanks piled on other thanks to Teddy for photorealistic avatar.

5. - Top - End - #1205
    Ogre in the Playground

Hah, the Warcraft let's plays were great! The ending to the undead campaign was fantastic. ^_^

Honestly, I've learned just about everything I know about the metagame from Bronze League Heroes. And I've shown a few friends who know nothing about Starcraft it, too, and they really enjoy it.

Husky is just... genuinely funny, y'know?

6. - Top - End - #1206
    Titan in the Playground

Now I have a parody running through my head... to the tune of Juke Box Heroes...

"They're Bronze League Heroes... with stars in their eyes..."
    Quote Originally Posted by The Underlord View Post
    All hail great Shneekeythulhu! Ia Ia Shneeky fthagn
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quite possibly, the best rebuttal I have ever witnessed.
    Joker Bard - the DM's solution to the Batman Wizard.
    Takahashi no Onisan - The scariest Samurai alive
    Incarnum and YOU: a reference guide
    Soulmelds, by class and slot: Another Incarnum reference
    Multiclassing for Newbies: A reference guide for the rest of us

My homebrew world in progress: Falcora

7. - Top - End - #1207
    Ogre in the Playground

So, guys, I WON MY FIRST STARCRAFT 2 GAME, WOOHOO!

I lost my first two, because I was slow and awful, but this game, he didn't attack me, so I made a crapton of Battlecruisers!

And he only had like, five void rays! I just yamato cannon'd them!

And high templar's psionic storms don't do that much damage to them!

Also immortals and colossi can't really fight battlecruisers! So that was neat!

8. - Top - End - #1208
    Titan in the Playground

Macro matters most. I could easily get two leagues higher if I properly timed building my CCs and production facilities (I always go two-base all-in, without a strategy suited for it), with no micro but basic stutter step.
    Avatar of George the Dragon Slayer, from the upcoming Indivisible!
    My Steam profile
    Warriors and Wuxia, Callos_DeTerran's ToB setting

9. - Top - End - #1209
    Titan in the Playground

So, guys, I WON MY FIRST STARCRAFT 2 GAME, WOOHOO!

I lost my first two, because I was slow and awful, but this game, he didn't attack me, so I made a crapton of Battlecruisers!

And he only had like, five void rays! I just yamato cannon'd them!

And high templar's psionic storms don't do that much damage to them!

Also immortals and colossi can't really fight battlecruisers! So that was neat!
    As a suggestion:

It's very hard to go wrong with Marines and Marauders. Just keep cranking them out. I like to go with twice as many marines as marauders. However, I also like to go with (eventually) 4 barracks with two of them having Reactors and two of them with Tech Labs. The two with tech labs cranks out marauders, the two with reactors cranks out marines. Build a Factory (and maybe a couple of Widow Mines at your front door), then build a Starport for making Medivacs.

You want Medivacs because Stimpacks are made of win and awesome in a crunch, and you want to keep them topped off. You also want Marauder Concussion Shells, because those make any melee unit pretty much obsolete. If you have a problem with a protoss cranking out tons of zealots, concussion shells will obviate that problem. And you want the shields, because more health is more awesome.

You only really need one engineering bay. I like to put a turret up by my natural choke and one by my mineral lines to stave off a DT rush, if I am playing against Protoss, but against other races you can hold off a while. Engineering Bay also is where you get your upgrades. Even a +2 weapon makes your M&M ball much nastier.

It isn't going to be perfect, of course. High Templars will rip an M&M ball a new one if you aren't on the ball dodging. And if they have Colossi out, it is a pretty clear indication that you should have already pushed out ten minutes ago, so while that is a 'counter' for M&M, it is one that shouldn't be able to be made before you swamp him.

It is a very basic and elegant play style that works quite well for those of us who don't have the macro skills to do much with caster units.

Tossing in a few Siege Tanks might not be the worst idea ever. Nothing says 'Avon Calling!' like three or four siege tanks knocking at your front door supported by an M&M ball.
    Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #1210
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ShneekeyTheLost View Post
    As a suggestion:

It's very hard to go wrong with Marines and Marauders. Just keep cranking them out. I like to go with twice as many marines as marauders. However, I also like to go with (eventually) 4 barracks with two of them having Reactors and two of them with Tech Labs. The two with tech labs cranks out marauders, the two with reactors cranks out marines. Build a Factory (and maybe a couple of Widow Mines at your front door), then build a Starport for making Medivacs.

You want Medivacs because Stimpacks are made of win and awesome in a crunch, and you want to keep them topped off. You also want Marauder Concussion Shells, because those make any melee unit pretty much obsolete. If you have a problem with a protoss cranking out tons of zealots, concussion shells will obviate that problem. And you want the shields, because more health is more awesome.

You only really need one engineering bay. I like to put a turret up by my natural choke and one by my mineral lines to stave off a DT rush, if I am playing against Protoss, but against other races you can hold off a while. Engineering Bay also is where you get your upgrades. Even a +2 weapon makes your M&M ball much nastier.

It isn't going to be perfect, of course. High Templars will rip an M&M ball a new one if you aren't on the ball dodging. And if they have Colossi out, it is a pretty clear indication that you should have already pushed out ten minutes ago, so while that is a 'counter' for M&M, it is one that shouldn't be able to be made before you swamp him.

It is a very basic and elegant play style that works quite well for those of us who don't have the macro skills to do much with caster units.

Tossing in a few Siege Tanks might not be the worst idea ever. Nothing says 'Avon Calling!' like three or four siege tanks knocking at your front door supported by an M&M ball.
    Well, yeah, I had a big ball of marines and marauders sitting there while I was building the battle cruisers. I sent out a couple of hit squads of marines to his undefended third base - like, eight of them. They were enough to kill all his workers off, before his main force came.

When our armies fought, he killed off all my marines and marauders with storms! He couldn't really hold a candle to my battle cruisers, though, because they had 2 attack and 3 defense and his dudes had like, one defense. And I had eight battlecruisers at that point.

Also, repairing is neat! But thank you for the advice. ^_^

11. - Top - End - #1211
    Titan in the Playground

Well, yeah, I had a big ball of marines and marauders sitting there while I was building the battle cruisers. I sent out a couple of hit squads of marines to his undefended third base - like, eight of them. They were enough to kill all his workers off, before his main force came.

When our armies fought, he killed off all my marines and marauders with storms! He couldn't really hold a candle to my battle cruisers, though, because they had 2 attack and 3 defense and his dudes had like, one defense. And I had eight battlecruisers at that point.

Also, repairing is neat! But thank you for the advice. ^_^
    Storms are Protoss's way of saying you took too long to get into his base.

I'm talking about pushing right after your expansion. Maybe fifty marines and twenty five marauders. Also, the riot shields are very effective against storms, when paired with medivacs to heal them up again. Your opponent shouldn't have storms by then.

There's another way to deal with storms... Ghosts. EMP is all kinds of fun. Also, Snipe. Just kill them dead quickly that way. That requires a bit of micro, so it isn't exactly a 'newbie friendly' tactic, but it works very well once you get the hang of using ghosts.
    Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #1212
    Ogre in the Playground

Huh... and how do the protoss generally deal with that?

13. - Top - End - #1213
    Titan in the Playground

By having better macro. You have to get the timings down.
    Avatar of George the Dragon Slayer, from the upcoming Indivisible!
    My Steam profile
    Warriors and Wuxia, Callos_DeTerran's ToB setting

14. - Top - End - #1214
    Titan in the Playground

Better Macro and Sentry forcefield blocking off chokes to split up armies into more manageable pieces.

For a good start, I would suggest watching this Bronze League Heroes video. I would not, however, suggest to avoid throwing away the game like the terran player did. Watch the first five minutes. That's what you want to do. Although with a pair of tech labs and a pair of reactors on the barracks so you can actually spend your income properly.
    Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #1215
    Ogre in the Playground

It turns out a friend of mine was actually a gold league player! We had a few games together.

He was pretty darn good. I nearly almost sort of sort of got him in our protoss vs. protoss game, though.

16. - Top - End - #1216
    Titan in the Playground

It turns out a friend of mine was actually a gold league player! We had a few games together.

He was pretty darn good. I nearly almost sort of sort of got him in our protoss vs. protoss game, though.
    I remember playing against kyeudo once and winning. He was plat and I was gold.

17. - Top - End - #1217
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Silverraptor View Post
    I remember playing against kyeudo once and winning. He was plat and I was gold.
    I think those were some training games. Wasn't I trying to see if I could hold a 10 pool with my 15 pool?

18. - Top - End - #1218
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kyeudo View Post
    I think those were some training games. Wasn't I trying to see if I could hold a 10 pool with my 15 pool?
    That was the second game, where you held it off. The first game was you trying out one of the maps the first time to see if you would take it off your "skip" que. You reasoned that you were not.

19. - Top - End - #1219
    Ogre in the Playground

You know you've watched too much Huskystarcraft when you get out of bed and think to yourself "I'm going to go for a robe-first build today..."

20. - Top - End - #1220
    Titan in the Playground

You know you've watched too much Huskystarcraft when you get out of bed and think to yourself "I'm going to go for a robe-first build today..."
    Well, it's at least a good way to stop an early scout from spotting your build
    Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #1221
    Ogre in the Playground

So, has anyone seen the Innovation vs. Taeja game yet? It's like, super awesome, especially for a Terran vs. Terran game.

22. - Top - End - #1222
    Ettin in the Playground

Whenever I watch pro-level games, a thought comes to mind: the pros base so much of their strategy on the metagame that it would be really interesting to see them lose due to doing that. It'd be like if they play a slightly-lower level player, and go, "Well, six-pool never works, so nobody would try to six-pool, so I don't need to prepare to fight off a six-pool" and then get six-pooled to death.

I know it'd never happen, but it'd still be kinda fun to see once or twice.
    Me: Would you rather I spent all my money on alcohol like others in my peer group?
    Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #1223
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    Whenever I watch pro-level games, a thought comes to mind: the pros base so much of their strategy on the metagame that it would be really interesting to see them lose due to doing that. It'd be like if they play a slightly-lower level player, and go, "Well, six-pool never works, so nobody would try to six-pool, so I don't nee d to prepare to fight off a six-pool" and then get six-pooled to death.

Six pools happen occasionally in pro games. Or seven pools I think are stronger, but basically the same. When I get home if I remember I will find a game.

24. - Top - End - #1224
    Ogre in the Playground

I was trying the IMBA LEAGUE mod for the game, turned zombie mode on and played with three computers...

One computer managed to kill themselves by detonating a baneling in their base and killing a bunch of zerglings, who came back as zombies and killed his base. It was hilarious.

25. - Top - End - #1225
    Titan in the Playground

Whenever I watch pro-level games, a thought comes to mind: the pros base so much of their strategy on the metagame that it would be really interesting to see them lose due to doing that. It'd be like if they play a slightly-lower level player, and go, "Well, six-pool never works, so nobody would try to six-pool, so I don't need to prepare to fight off a six-pool" and then get six-pooled to death.

Dark Memnarch sent me a game where he was 6 pooled when he went hatch first and he easily held it off. Like, it was mindboggling how well a bunch of drones can hold of the zerglings.

26. - Top - End - #1226
    Ettin in the Playground

I only meant 6-pool as an example of a sort of cheesy tactic that won't work at that sort of level. Anything that a pro would be unprepared for due to disregarding it because "nobody's stupid enough to try it" would fit.
    Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #1227
    Ogre in the Playground

I only meant 6-pool as an example of a sort of cheesy tactic that won't work at that sort of level. Anything that a pro would be unprepared for due to disregarding it because "nobody's stupid enough to try it" would fit.
    ...Battlecruiser rush?

28. - Top - End - #1228
    Titan in the Playground

There's a saying about the best not fearing the second best, but the worst, because he doesn't know what the person might do
    Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #1229
    Ogre in the Playground

That is called cheese, and pros know they need to be ready for it or at least know about what their build can handle, and then weigh the odds of the enemy doing something their build will lose to. Also with good micro a lot of cheeses can be dealt with with normal builds.

30. - Top - End - #1230
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Legoshrimp View Post
    That is called cheese, and pros know they need to be ready for it or at least know about what their build can handle, and then weigh the odds of the enemy doing something their build will lose to. Also with good micro a lot of cheeses can be dealt with with normal builds.
    Cheeses such as but not limited to 6 pools also show up in MLG and BWC matches. Frequently. It isn't just a 'newbie' tactic. At the pro level, if they disregard it they usually end up losing the match or being put signifigantly behind.

Which pro-level games are you watching? Every time I go watch MLG I see a minimum of 2 games which start with a 6 pool (or an 8 pool, but they are virtually the same thing). Much more likely if it's ZvZ. One of the NASL matchups I saw the guy completely sweep his opponent with back to back 6 pools.

Mind you, the map really determines how viable such a tactic is. Usually the announcers even go "Oh man, it's this map, I wonder if we'll see a 6 pool." Typically they are genuinely surprised when they don't see one.
    ~~Courage is not the lack of fear~~
    Quote Originally Posted by gooddragon1 View Post
    If the party wizard can't survive a supersonic dragon made of iron at epic levels it's his own fault really.
    "In soviet dungeon, aboleth farms you!"
    "Please consult your DM before administering Steve brand Aboleth Mucus.
    Ask your DM if Aboleth Mucus is right for you.
    Side effects include coughing, sneezing, and other flu like symptoms, cancer, breathing water like a fish, loss of dignity, loss of balance, loss of bowel and bladder control."