Results 1,441 to 1,470 of 1492
  1. - Top - End - #1441
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Starcraft 2: 8 Medivac drop

WCS Europe Quarterfinals Finals underway

Also: iNcontroL is awesome.

Spoiler
    Show
    iNcontroL: "So, during that match, were you...I'm sorry, I know these are really stupid questions, but they pay me to ask stupid questions, so..." *holds microphone over for MC's response while looking ashamed.*

iNcontroL: "Yes, [Kaelaris]'s my son."
    Spectator: "He's a Hobbit!"
    iNcontroL: "NO-ONE INSULTS MY SON! Besides, he's not a Hobbit. ...He's a Leprechaun."

iNcontroL: "Wait, you guys started a BarCraft at 9 AM?"
    BarCraft participant: "Yes."
    iNcontroL: "That's not a BarCraft, that's called 'Alcoholism'."
    Last edited by Artanis; 2013-10-06 at 11:52 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheesegear View Post
    Girlfriend and Parents: Why do you spend so much money on that stuff?
    Me: Would you rather I spent all my money on alcohol like others in my peer group?
    G&P: You keep spending as much money as you want!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Bossing Around Mad Cats for Fun and Profit: Let's Play MechCommander 2!

Kicking this LP into overdrive: Let's Play StarCraft 2!

2. - Top - End - #1442
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by Zevox View Post
    Okay, I just played two more games, and came away very discouraged. It's pretty sad when you go into a match intending to practice blink Stalker harassment, get out the Stalkers and an Observer, but don't realize until you've got the Stalkers outside the opponent's base that you completely forgot to even build a Twilight Council, much less get blink. Not to mention finding that by the time you've done this, your opponent has built a big ol' force of Immortals that proceeds to roflstomp you.

Just... ugh. I'm increasingly feeling like this game has just too much multitasking for me, too many things I need to remember to be doing as the game goes on. Especially at the increased pace that multiplayer plays at. Maybe if it was at normal speed, or even just fast, but on faster it feels like there's no way I can keep up with everything.
    You have poor macro. That's ok; we all do. You can play at masters to grandmasters level on NA server with only 80 APM. Sheth, for instance, has APM around 80 to 100, and he used to compete at the highest (non-korean) levels.

At your level, focus on making a base and defense it.

If you have good macro, you can afford to lose an army to micro mismanagement because you'll re-produce it in 40 seconds.

Blink stalker harass is, simply, beyond your capabilities at the moment. Focus on just making more stalkers than your opponent. That should get you up to platinum or diamond league. Bronze through gold is all about outproducing your opponent, beyond that, identifying what your opponent is doing becomes important. It's only at the highest levels of play where micro (forcefield placement, fungals, stutter step) matters.

Are there some things you can do to be better? Sure- dont park your army on creep while you build pylons in your base. Don't mismanage your rallies and have space giraffes wandering all over the place. But again, at your level (and my level), building workers, expanding, not getting supply blocked, constructing more production facilities, and teching up are all critical parts of the game. You don't even have to worry about scouting in bronze- just 6 rax reactor rally marines into the enemy base. They can have space giraffe, but chances are they're one base space giraffe and you'll just drown them under a wave of blue corpses.

If you don't want to play macro games, just look up build orders for timing wins- how to 4gate, dt rush, proxy stargate, 1base blink stalker, 2gate robo, proxy gateway, cannon rush. The teamliquid forums are a great place to start. They have the most efficient builds for going certain directions- when to drop pylons, when to get gas, and when to expand.
    I can do a thousand now.

3. - Top - End - #1443
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Spuddles View Post
    Are there some things you can do to be better? Sure- dont park your army on creep while you build pylons in your base. Don't mismanage your rallies and have space giraffes wandering all over the place.
    I don't do anything that dumb to begin with. (Though I don't know what unit you're nicknaming "space giraffes." )

[Stuff about macro]
    That's just the thing - as it stands, I can't get to the parts of the game I do like, because the parts I don't are prerequisites for getting even that far.

The last couple of days I've tried practicing openings and general macro using a build order tester in the arcade section. I've found that while I can certainly do much better than I was previously, I just don't like doing it. Base building and getting stuff in the first place is the boring part of the game for me, but it's the part I need to learn to do well in order to do the things I want to do, which is all the various ways you can engage your opponent in combat once you have your army built. Also, the amount of focus that I need to keep up with the game and the rate at which I make money after getting a second base is pretty hard to maintain for extended periods of time - and that's without any actual fighting going on to distract me.

I understand that competitive games are of course going to have some basic things you need to learn to be any good at them. Because the main multiplayer games I play are fighting games, I find myself mentally drawing a comparison to those: my current situation is sort of like if I couldn't enjoy practicing combos and setups in training mode, or learning the basic mechanics of the individual game, and only cared about actually doing mixups and landing hits. I don't think I'd really be able to have fun in those games if that were the case. And I know I haven't been having any fun the last few times I've played multiplayer Starcraft.

So at this point, I think I'm just not going to try to play multiplayer. I'll just stick with the campaigns instead. They're fun enough, and what skill I've picked up from trying to learn the multiplayer portion has at least made me able to handle hard difficulty there. It's just too bad that my favorite faction will be the last to get theirs released.

If you don't want to play macro games, just look up build orders for timing wins- how to 4gate, dt rush, proxy stargate, 1base blink stalker, 2gate robo, proxy gateway, cannon rush.
    But I don't really want to do that, either. I'd honestly feel guilty beating my opponent with some kind of rush, because I don't want to kill my opponent's fun by beating him so early that it feels to him like he didn't have the chance to fight back. That's how I feel when something like that happens to me, after all.
    Toph Pony avatar by Dirtytabs. Thanks!

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis

4. - Top - End - #1444
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

I don't do anything that dumb to begin with. (Though I don't know what unit you're nicknaming "space giraffes." )

That's just the thing - as it stands, I can't get to the parts of the game I do like, because the parts I don't are prerequisites for getting even that far.

The last couple of days I've tried practicing openings and general macro using a build order tester in the arcade section. I've found that while I can certainly do much better than I was previously, I just don't like doing it. Base building and getting stuff in the first place is the boring part of the game for me, but it's the part I need to learn to do well in order to do the things I want to do, which is all the various ways you can engage your opponent in combat once you have your army built. Also, the amount of focus that I need to keep up with the game and the rate at which I make money after getting a second base is pretty hard to maintain for extended periods of time - and that's without any actual fighting going on to distract me.

I understand that competitive games are of course going to have some basic things you need to learn to be any good at them. Because the main multiplayer games I play are fighting games, I find myself mentally drawing a comparison to those: my current situation is sort of like if I couldn't enjoy practicing combos and setups in training mode, or learning the basic mechanics of the individual game, and only cared about actually doing mixups and landing hits. I don't think I'd really be able to have fun in those games if that were the case. And I know I haven't been having any fun the last few times I've played multiplayer Starcraft.

So at this point, I think I'm just not going to try to play multiplayer. I'll just stick with the campaigns instead. They're fun enough, and what skill I've picked up from trying to learn the multiplayer portion has at least made me able to handle hard difficulty there. It's just too bad that my favorite faction will be the last to get theirs released.

But I don't really want to do that, either. I'd honestly feel guilty beating my opponent with some kind of rush, because I don't want to kill my opponent's fun by beating him so early that it feels to him like he didn't have the chance to fight back. That's how I feel when something like that happens to me, after all.
    It doesn't sound like Starcraft and similar simcity RTSs are the sort of game for you.

You could always get good macro, gain a huge lead, then toy with your opponent. That's what I do.
    I can do a thousand now.

5. - Top - End - #1445
    Troll in the Playground

I'm pretty sure he means Collosus. Dunno why they're giraffes, they don't have a neck.

You just expressed my pain with ladder games far more eloquently than I. It's why I stick to custom games, mostly.

I would say "At least your faction got a sidequest in Wings", but thats just me wishing I could get HOTS.

Oh my. Someone else feels this way. They feel shame when they do cheap things. I THOUGHT I WAS ALONE.
    Can only thank GitP for being so good for so long.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Solaris View Post
    If it helps, think of me as the Agent from Serenity. Just not that good a fighter. Also, I have a mustache.
    Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    I'm probably hilarious far off, aren't I?
    Quote Originally Posted by Telonius View Post
    This is not... the greatest story Tolkien ever wrote. No... This is just a tribute.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dracon1us View Post
    don't feed the troll...

A pile of thanks piled on other thanks to Teddy for photorealistic avatar.

6. - Top - End - #1446
    Titan in the Playground

It doesn't sound like Starcraft and similar simcity RTSs are the sort of game for you.
    Yeah. If you consider macro boring and cheese cheating... then you shouldn't be playing a simulation of a commander in total war where both sides are trying their best to win.
    Avatar of George the Dragon Slayer, from the upcoming Indivisible!
    My Steam profile
    Warriors and Wuxia, Callos_DeTerran's ToB setting

7. - Top - End - #1447
    Titan in the Playground

"Simcity" RTSs ?

You could always get good macro, gain a huge lead, then toy with your opponent. That's what I do.
    If I could get good macro, I wouldn't have a problem here in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by Mutant Sheep View Post
    I'm pretty sure he means Collosus. Dunno why they're giraffes, they don't have a neck.
    Huh. Yeah, can't say I understand why you'd call a Colossus a space giraffe. Don't see any similarities there.

Quote Originally Posted by Mutant Sheep View Post
    I would say "At least your faction got a sidequest in Wings", but thats just me wishing I could get HOTS.
    Yeah, there is that, at least. I was certainly grateful for it. Too bad one of the missions was just defending until you die. Although at least it did come with a largely pre-built base.

Quote Originally Posted by Jade Dragon View Post
    Yeah. If you consider macro boring and cheese cheating... then you shouldn't be playing a simulation of a commander in total war where both sides are trying their best to win.
    I wouldn't say that I consider cheese cheating. But I do find it no fun at all to play against, and I wouldn't want to do that to an opponent. I've run across things like that in other multiplayer games - I stayed away from using certain characters in Marvel vs Cacpom 3 because of it, and there's a particular deck type I won't use in Scrolls for the same reason.

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis

8. - Top - End - #1448
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

During the beta, no one knew what the plural of "colossus" was. Day9 called them "coloxen", though I prefer LAGTV's "space giraffe". Easier for me to spell, too. Now casters mix up colossi and colossus, as using latin to pluralze words in english is stupid.

Simcity RTS- where you have to make a gazillion production facilities. Compare that to Myth, where there are no production facilities, or CoH or Warcaft3 where you have relatively few production buildings.

I highly suggest looking up build orders if you want to get better. That's part of macro. Your resistance to looking up build orders is tantamount to not looking at the combo moves in a fighting game and relying on button mashing. Not knowing how to 4gate is like not knowing how to checkmate in 4 moves. Not knowing 3gate robo is like, not knowing how to hadoken.
    I can do a thousand now.

9. - Top - End - #1449
    Titan in the Playground

Simcity RTS- where you have to make a gazillion production facilities. Compare that to Myth, where there are no production facilities, or CoH or Warcaft3 where you have relatively few production buildings.
    Huh, okay then. I honestly haven't played any other RTS titles in a long time (not a PC gamer), so it's hard for me to think of differences between them. Haven't played those particular ones either. I think the main other RTS titles I have experience with (ignoring SC1) are Red Alert 2 and Age of Mythology, but it's been ages since I played either of them.

I highly suggest looking up build orders if you want to get better. That's part of macro. Your resistance to looking up build orders is tantamount to not looking at the combo moves in a fighting game and relying on button mashing. Not knowing how to 4gate is like not knowing how to checkmate in 4 moves. Not knowing 3gate robo is like, not knowing how to hadoken.
    I'm not resistant to looking up build orders. I did that. That's what I was practicing in that build order tester I mentioned. That's what bored me, even when I was clearly getting better at it.

(Though I'd suggest your last analogy there is rather off. Knowing how to do a particular move in a fighting game is like knowing how to build a particular unit or structure in an RTS - complete basic level stuff, whose usefulness is entirely dependent on your knowledge of how to employ it.)

10. - Top - End - #1450
    Titan in the Playground

Well, it's almost time for that new thread again, my humble suggestion:

Starcraft 2: 9 Hatch

I'd make a supply block joke, but that's more appropriate for thread 10...
    Quote Originally Posted by The Underlord View Post
    All hail great Shneekeythulhu! Ia Ia Shneeky fthagn
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quite possibly, the best rebuttal I have ever witnessed.
    Joker Bard - the DM's solution to the Batman Wizard.
    Takahashi no Onisan - The scariest Samurai alive
    Incarnum and YOU: a reference guide
    Soulmelds, by class and slot: Another Incarnum reference
    Multiclassing for Newbies: A reference guide for the rest of us

My homebrew world in progress: Falcora

11. - Top - End - #1451
    Ettin in the Playground

I'm going to go ahead and repost my earlier suggestion because it's kinda been lost in the mix since then:

StarCraft 2, Thread 9: I Have The HotS for Kerrigan
    Me: Would you rather I spent all my money on alcohol like others in my peer group?
    Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #1452
    Firbolg in the Playground

Maybe. But do I want to do the amount of practice required for that? I'm already not having fun because I see how many horrible mistakes I'm making and feel like an idiot for them.
    Ask yourself this. What makes you want to be good at anything?

Skill focus games like this aren't for everyone. Not everyone is capable of taking the knowledge that they are doing something wrong without taking it personally. Some people have too strong an ego in order to improve or progress. Some aren't even able to acknowledge that the other player managed to outplay them. "It's the game's fault, stupid Blizzard for making X so good," or other such nonsense.

Now while you clearly aren't in any of the above categories, I do see you taking your mistakes perhaps a bit too seriously. Either way, you say you are going to move away from multiplayer for a while, which is probably the best. I do think you are taking this a bit too seriously, and at the same time, giving up too easily. But that is just my opinion.

I already use them. First three for units (usually 1 for my main army, 2 for my Mothership Core, 3 for whatever else I may make), 4 for Nexi, 5 for Gateways, 6 and 7 for Robo and Stargates if I have them. That's one habit I didn't lose since last time I played, at least.
    Those are groups. Not hotkeys.
    Last edited by Karoht; 2013-10-07 at 10:46 AM.
    ~~Courage is not the lack of fear~~
    Quote Originally Posted by gooddragon1 View Post
    If the party wizard can't survive a supersonic dragon made of iron at epic levels it's his own fault really.
    "In soviet dungeon, aboleth farms you!"
    "Please consult your DM before administering Steve brand Aboleth Mucus.
    Ask your DM if Aboleth Mucus is right for you.
    Side effects include coughing, sneezing, and other flu like symptoms, cancer, breathing water like a fish, loss of dignity, loss of balance, loss of bowel and bladder control."

13. - Top - End - #1453
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Karoht View Post
    Ask yourself this. What makes you want to be good at anything?
    Enjoying it. That's why I can spend hours at a time just in training mode for a fighting game - I honestly enjoy learning the things you need to learn to be good at those. (Well, mostly. Ridiculously tight link combos are another matter, but that's why I only play SF4 very casually.)

Here though, I'm not finding it to be the case. I like the game in theory, but when the multiplayer comes down to being so macro-focused, and I'm simply finding that I don't enjoy trying to improve at that, I end up not wanting to do it.

Those are groups. Not hotkeys.
    Ah. So then hotkeys are simply things like hitting "e" to make a Probe, right? I was doing that too. Though granted I don't know all of them, but I certainly know the most important ones for Protoss - Probes, all basic and some advanced structures, all Gateway units, certain Robo/Stargate units, most spells on casters (still didn't have the ones for Mothership Core or Oracle down, since they're new to HotS).
    Last edited by Zevox; 2013-10-07 at 11:24 AM.

14. - Top - End - #1454
    Ettin in the Playground

No more suggestions or votes for the next thread's title?
    Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #1455

Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    No more suggestions or votes for the next thread's title?
    Should be fine.

Man I hope there's a Barcraft here in Calgary before Blizzcon.
    If the party wizard can't survive a supersonic dragon made of iron at epic levels it's his own fault really.
    Side effects include coughing, sneezing, and other flu like symptoms, cancer, breathing water like a fish, loss of dignity, loss of balance, loss of bowel and bladder control."

16. - Top - End - #1456

I'm going to go ahead and repost my earlier suggestion because it's kinda been lost in the mix since then:

StarCraft 2, Thread 9: I Have The HotS for Kerrigan
    This is a terrible pun, but it's a good thread title.

During the beta, no one knew what the plural of "colossus" was. Day9 called them "coloxen", though I prefer LAGTV's "space giraffe". Easier for me to spell, too. Now casters mix up colossi and colossus, as using latin to pluralze words in english is stupid.
    Collossi. But Space Giraffes is good. It's just because they're tall, no?
    ~Inner Circle~
    Quote Originally Posted by Raz_Fox View Post
    He takes normality and reason and turns them UP TO 11!
    Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    Recaiden, stop using your mastery of the English language to confuse the issue.
    Echidna by Serpentine

17. - Top - End - #1457
    Titan in the Playground

Starcraft 2: Thread 9: Pylo shall never be forgotten
    Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #1458
    Ettin in the Playground

Starcraft 2, Thread 9: Uniden, no!

19. - Top - End - #1459
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

I'll throw a vote to I Have The HotS for Kerrigan.

20. - Top - End - #1460
    Ogre in the Playground

My vote goes towards "Pylo shall not be forgotten".

21. - Top - End - #1461
    Titan in the Playground

StarCraft 2: Day 9

My own webcomic. Idiosyncrasy.
    Paladin Academy: Chapter 2 Part 28

22. - Top - End - #1462
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Silverraptor View Post

Yes. Perfect.

23. - Top - End - #1463
    Troll in the Playground

Yeah, I'm going with Day 9 too.
    Can only thank GitP for being so good for so long.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Solaris View Post
    If it helps, think of me as the Agent from Serenity. Just not that good a fighter. Also, I have a mustache.
    Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    I'm probably hilarious far off, aren't I?
    Quote Originally Posted by Telonius View Post
    This is not... the greatest story Tolkien ever wrote. No... This is just a tribute.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dracon1us View Post
    don't feed the troll...

A pile of thanks piled on other thanks to Teddy for photorealistic avatar.

24. - Top - End - #1464

Thumbs up Re: Starcraft 2: 8 Medivac drop

I take back what I said. This needs to be the title.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Quote Originally Posted by Raz_Fox View Post
    He takes normality and reason and turns them UP TO 11!
    Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    Recaiden, stop using your mastery of the English language to confuse the issue.
    Echidna by Serpentine

25. - Top - End - #1465
    Titan in the Playground

How come no one else thought of it?
    My own webcomic. Idiosyncrasy.
    Paladin Academy: Chapter 2 Part 28

26. - Top - End - #1466

StarCraft II: Day[9] has the HotS for Kerrigan

27. - Top - End - #1467
    Troll in the Playground

Changeling log, Day 9: They still think i'm a Zealot
    Quote Originally Posted by actual quote from this forum
    So yeah. your wrong.
    Check out Camp Archimedes, a (slightly homebrew) mercenary camp full of interesting units. A great addition to any campaign (in my very biased opinion)

28. - Top - End - #1468
    Ettin in the Playground

StarCraft II: Day[9] has the HotS for Kerrigan
    I approve of this title
    Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #1469
    Titan in the Playground

I withdraw my earlier submission and instead cast my vote for this.
    Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #1470
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

I approve of this title
    As do I, as do I.