New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 50 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141530 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Pixie in the Playground

RogueGirl

Default Re: Starcraft 2: 8 Medivac drop

hey so this isn't terribly relevant, but it is SC2.

I was wondering how many of you guys play hero attack. its a custom game, usually around 4th on the list, but pretty competitive. heck of a different play style, as you really only command 1 unit. I just thought I would ask as I recently became addicted to it. And if you haven't tried it, I recommend it, Its pretty fun.The games usually last 30-50 minutes, which is slightly longer than regular multiplayer, but that's why I like it.
    The Dinner Thief strikes again!

Spoiler
    Show
    I Prepared Explosive runes this morning.

2. - Top - End - #122
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dinner Thief View Post

I was wondering how many of you guys play hero attack. its a custom game, usually around 4th on the list, but pretty competitive. heck of a different play style, as you really only command 1 unit. I just thought I would ask as I recently became addicted to it. And if you haven't tried it, I recommend it, Its pretty fun.The games usually last 30-50 minutes, which is slightly longer than regular multiplayer, but that's why I like it.
    Sounds like DotA or LoL. Any differences?

3. - Top - End - #123
    Titan in the Playground

So, I made several attempts on funday monday. Behold!

Oh, and I also submitted this one. But nothing much happens in it, so Day 9 probably won't pick it.
    My own webcomic. Idiosyncrasy.
    Paladin Academy: Chapter 2 Part 28

4. - Top - End - #124
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Silverraptor View Post
    So, I made several attempts on funday monday. Behold!

Oh, and I also submitted this one. But nothing much happens in it, so Day 9 probably won't pick it.
    What was the funday monday?

5. - Top - End - #125
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Legoshrimp View Post
    What was the funday monday?
    You may only Counterattack.

Edit: Oh, and I also updated the list. Check it out to make sure I got you.
    Last edited by Silverraptor; 2012-03-01 at 10:54 PM.

6. - Top - End - #126
    Ogre in the Playground

Ohhh yeah, I should try that some. It has got to be so annoying to play against.

7. - Top - End - #127

Quote Originally Posted by Dinner Thief View Post

It'd be nice if you told us anything beyond the fact that you control one unit, because honestly there are a lot of customs games where you control one unit, and it can go a lot of different ways.

8. - Top - End - #128
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by fred dref View Post
    It'd be nice if you told us anything beyond the fact that you control one unit, because honestly there are a lot of customs games where you control one unit, and it can go a lot of different ways.
    From what I have heard it is a standard AoS.

9. - Top - End - #129
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

I should try this funday, as it is something I have been meaning to work on for a long time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alabenson
    Evil Intelligence is knowing the precise ritual that will allow you to destroy the peaceful kingdom that banished you.

Evil Wisdom is understanding that you probably shouldn’t perform said ritual while you’re standing in the estimated blast radius.

10. - Top - End - #130
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by BobVosh View Post
    I should try this funday, as it is something I have been meaning to work on for a long time.
    DarkMemnarch and I have realized that this funday is us almost every game minus the occational harass we do.

11. - Top - End - #131
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

I almost constantly harass as it is very rare I don't go ling-muta.
    However adding in counter attacks of 12-16 lings would only help.
    Evil Intelligence is knowing the precise ritual that will allow you to destroy the peaceful kingdom that banished you.

Evil Wisdom is understanding that you probably shouldn’t perform said ritual while you’re standing in the estimated blast radius.

12. - Top - End - #132
    Dwarf in the Playground

DarkMemnarch and I have realized that this funday is us almost every game minus the occational harass we do.
    Ya i play pretty passively almost every game.

13. - Top - End - #133
    Firbolg in the Playground

See, counterattack can be defined many ways.
    In this context, my personal favorite is leaving 2-4 Zerlings out of your base but near by enough to move in. Cut people off from retreating down a ramp, that sort of thing. Astonishingly useful, as most people don't use an attack move when they retreat, and the zerlings sometimes get lost in the shuffle. They're tiny, so sometimes you luck out and the opponent doesn't realize they are there until they see their units getting stuck and bumbling around like idiots.

Of course, one attack move later, they're vaporized but hey.

And sometimes harassing an army as they attempt to retreat is more effective than actually fighting it head on. Parting shots against Terran Bio-balls especially, as the medivacs will usually be out of position if the oppenent really decides to cut and run for it.
    ~~Courage is not the lack of fear~~
    Quote Originally Posted by gooddragon1 View Post
    If the party wizard can't survive a supersonic dragon made of iron at epic levels it's his own fault really.
    "In soviet dungeon, aboleth farms you!"
    "Please consult your DM before administering Steve brand Aboleth Mucus.
    Ask your DM if Aboleth Mucus is right for you.
    Side effects include coughing, sneezing, and other flu like symptoms, cancer, breathing water like a fish, loss of dignity, loss of balance, loss of bowel and bladder control."

14. - Top - End - #134
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Karoht View Post
    See, counterattack can be defined many ways.
    In this context, my personal favorite is leaving 2-4 Zerlings out of your base but near by enough to move in. Cut people off from retreating down a ramp, that sort of thing. Astonishingly useful, as most people don't use an attack move when they retreat, and the zerlings sometimes get lost in the shuffle. They're tiny, so sometimes you luck out and the opponent doesn't realize they are there until they see their units getting stuck and bumbling around like idiots.

Of course, one attack move later, they're vaporized but hey.

And sometimes harassing an army as they attempt to retreat is more effective than actually fighting it head on. Parting shots against Terran Bio-balls especially, as the medivacs will usually be out of position if the oppenent really decides to cut and run for it.
    Thats not a counter attack, that is a flank. Day9 said what he wanted is basically if you see your enemy move into the middle of the map, grab your army move it around and attack their base.

15. - Top - End - #135
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by fred dref View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Pie Guy View Post
    Sounds like DotA or LoL. Any differences?
    It is a DotA clone, but its a bit simplified. It does have a bit more focus on the creeps, you can upgrade your teams guys and buildings. Also, the teams are race-specific, so you vote on a race for your team. You can have a zergvszerg or whatever, but you cant have heroes from different races on the same team.(No medic and ultralisk for you!)
    There are also only shops inside the bases, and the items vary for the races. (The basic ones are constant though, like +10/25/50% armor/energy/damage, or the +2% to stats. Those are for all the races.) It is a fun game, though you WILL get a team of idiots and be facing a premade bunch of pros who enjoy "pubstomping" if you just join a game instantly. Beating the "pros" is great fun.
    Last edited by Mutant Sheep; 2012-03-02 at 09:32 PM. Reason: Good lord I am incoherent
    Can only thank GitP for being so good for so long.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Solaris View Post
    If it helps, think of me as the Agent from Serenity. Just not that good a fighter. Also, I have a mustache.
    Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    I'm probably hilarious far off, aren't I?
    Quote Originally Posted by Telonius View Post
    This is not... the greatest story Tolkien ever wrote. No... This is just a tribute.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dracon1us View Post
    don't feed the troll...

A pile of thanks piled on other thanks to Teddy for photorealistic avatar.

16. - Top - End - #136
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Sounds like every MOBA game then.

17. - Top - End - #137

I recently started playing Starcraft 2 again, this time playing Zerg on ladder instead of Terran, and oh boy the game is so much more challenging now. I had a 3-rax Stim, Shield +1 Damage Marine push I did in every matchup when I played Terran, and it carried me straight to Diamond and eventually Master when it was released.

My biggest problem right now is my mechanics are really lackluster. My macro now compared to half a year ago just outright sucks, so I don't feel ready for 1v1 laddering. I've tried team games and practice games with some of my American friends, but they're all around Bronze-Gold league, so I don't feel like I'm getting that much practice out of it.

Would anyone be interested in some regular practice games or 2v2/3v3 team games? I've access to both an American and a European account. I probably belong in high Gold low Plat right now, and I'd really like to step my game up again.
    English is a second language etc etc.

18. - Top - End - #138
    Ettin in the Playground

Just hit the GitP channel. There's almost always some plat or diamond players in there who'd be willing to help. I'm always there when I log on.

19. - Top - End - #139

Last I played I was Gold, but holy cow that was ages ago. I'm always considering going back to play some games, but then I remember that it takes 7 years to open SC2 on my aged computer, and then just go play LoL instead.

20. - Top - End - #140

TotalBisquit is apparently hosting a Pro Monobattles Challenge.

tl;dr 4v4 Monobattles with HayprO, Jinro, Sheth and The Little One for 1000 dollars casted by The Cynical Brit.

So much awesomeness.
    English is a second language etc etc.

21. - Top - End - #141
    Ogre in the Playground

Today is the next gitp sc2 session, so hope to see people here! It starts in about 2 hours, 5 EST

22. - Top - End - #142
    Titan in the Playground

I don't know why... but I can't stop watching this video and everytime I do watch it, I always laugh. I just don't know why!

23. - Top - End - #143
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Wow, epic scream.

24. - Top - End - #144

I'm loving the Phoenix upgrade. They're considerably more fun to strafe zerg with now.

25. - Top - End - #145

Quote Originally Posted by Othesemo View Post
    I'm loving the Phoenix upgrade. They're considerably more fun to strafe zerg with now.
    Just remember and then start taking out their overlords, you can supply block them. In the early game, that can be killer. For every overlord you kill, your also up 100 minerals and a larva.
    If the party wizard can't survive a supersonic dragon made of iron at epic levels it's his own fault really.
    Side effects include coughing, sneezing, and other flu like symptoms, cancer, breathing water like a fish, loss of dignity, loss of balance, loss of bowel and bladder control."

26. - Top - End - #146

Just remember and then start taking out their overlords, you can supply block them. In the early game, that can be killer. For every overlord you kill, your also up 100 minerals and a larva.
    Sadly, that only starts working well once they spread their overlords for scouting, or if they're leaving their base without anti-air. That said, when you get the opportunity, snipe away, it's great to pop those little blimps.
    The Complete Warrior rules on losing prerequisites for a PrC apply to all books. This bothers me enough to sig it. If you disagree, please PM me, I'm down with being proven wrong.

Steam: Thiyr (The Great and Powerful Bulbasaur).
    SC2: RianL.377. Hit me up for some SC2 if you're on.

Bulbabulbabulbabulba...SAUR.

27. - Top - End - #147

When they leave their base? Pffft. 2-4 Phoenix is all you need for a daring raid. In and out in 20 seconds. Repeat. And if they throw their Queen at you, it's just begging to get picked up. I mean, no one gets Hydralisks.

28. - Top - End - #148
    Titan in the Playground

Hey guys. I really feel like monobattling for this weeks session. Hope to see you all there!

29. - Top - End - #149
    Ogre in the Playground

Lizardfolk

I've got a sweet little strategy vs a FFE toss (a combination of my usual 11 pool and a funday monday topic), that works on certain maps (Shakuras, Taldarim, Antiga). Here are the replays:

Replay1
    Replay2
    replay3
    replay4

This is the summary:
    9 overlord
    10 scout
    11 pool
    build drones to 14

now your scouting drone should be in the base of the FFE toss. Depending on what you see you can go 2-6 lings and pressure his front or do a runby. At around 17 food you should have enough minerals to build another hatchery, use your scouting probe to build a hatchery in his base. While the offensive hatch is building you will have enough mins to start your natural as well.

Your main goal is to runby your first lings into his base, to protect the hatchery. Once the hathery is up, start building queens, drones for spine crawlers and lings. Offensive crawlers for the win.

Even if scouted the toss will usually use up more resources to deal with the offensive hatch
    Last edited by Tehnar; 2012-03-08 at 08:16 PM.

30. - Top - End - #150

When they leave their base? Pffft. 2-4 Phoenix is all you need for a daring raid. In and out in 20 seconds. Repeat. And if they throw their Queen at you, it's just begging to get picked up. I mean, no one gets Hydralisks.
    Sadly, I tend to see both a decent chunk of hydras and by default at least one spore. And even with 4 phoenixes, 20 seconds is gonna be about two or three ovies. A pain, but I tend to see ovies overproduced for scouting anyway.

Though now I'm remembering running into a ton of hydra while going air and still winning due to the magic of phoenixes. Weird, it's like phoenixes are good or something.
    The Complete Warrior rules on losing prerequisites for a PrC apply to all books. This bothers me enough to sig it. If you disagree, please PM me, I'm down with being proven wrong.

Steam: Thiyr (The Great and Powerful Bulbasaur).
    SC2: RianL.377. Hit me up for some SC2 if you're on.

Bulbabulbabulbabulba...SAUR.