New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 50 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151631 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Bugbear in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Default Re: Starcraft 2: 8 Medivac drop

I feel the need to plug this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ve8ggmDUq0U

A free for all of some of the biggest pros. casted by husky, happened during IEM.
    Claspedchurches: This is a mudstone dwarven fortress. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is encrusted with bauxite, studded with ice, decorated with gold, and adorned with hanging rings of magma. This fortress menaces with spikes of steel, iron, bronze, and silver. On the fortress is an image of an image of cheese in pitchblende.

On the fortress is an image of a megaweapon in gold, silver, jet, obsidian and adamantine. The goblins are burning.

2. - Top - End - #152
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Karoht View Post
    When they leave their base? Pffft. 2-4 Phoenix is all you need for a daring raid. In and out in 20 seconds. Repeat. And if they throw their Queen at you, it's just begging to get picked up. I mean, no one gets Hydralisks.
    If I see a toss going heavy air, I get hydralisks. The only reason hydralisks are bad in ZvP is that Toss usually has Colossi. Heavy air prevents Colossi.

3. - Top - End - #153

You know, anticlimaxes can be funny. In this game I just played, I started out by massing up stalkers. After a while, the other person hadn't attacked, so I sent out an observer to check if he was trying to mass marines. He wasn't, so I kept the observer there and kept building up an army to counter what he was building (marines and thors, with one or two tanks). About twenty minutes in, he still hadn't attacked, and upon moving my observer a bit more I realized that he didn't have any detection- just a crap load of thors. So I sent in a warp prism, warped in 5 dark templars, and destroyed his entire base.

He was not amused.

4. - Top - End - #154
    Ettin in the Playground

I had a game like that, except I was the idiot with no detection. He was sitting back, massing roaches, while I droned away. An overseer wanders through my base, sees no detection, and he builds tunneling claws. I build a whole bunch of spine crawlers at my front to hold the roaches while I get up my mutas, then suddenly there are 40 roaches in my drone line. All for want of a single spore crawler.

5. - Top - End - #155
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kyeudo View Post
    I had a game like that, except I was the idiot with no detection. He was sitting back, massing roaches, while I droned away. An overseer wanders through my base, sees no detection, and he builds tunneling claws. I build a whole bunch of spine crawlers at my front to hold the roaches while I get up my mutas, then suddenly there are 40 roaches in my drone line. All for want of a single spore crawler.
    Yeah, because of this, I have a mental timer that tells me when I should have detection units by for different things. Like if a player is going fast banshees, I usually have an evo chamber up by a particular time. I also usually make an overseer at my front against toss at a certain time after lair in case of DTs.

So far its been working and I've been able to catch every cheese. Best moment was when my "Just in case" spore crawler killed his first observer trying to see my front.
    My own webcomic. Idiosyncrasy.
    Paladin Academy: Chapter 2 Part 28

6. - Top - End - #156

Quote Originally Posted by Kyeudo View Post
    If I see a toss going heavy air, I get hydralisks. The only reason hydralisks are bad in ZvP is that Toss usually has Colossi. Heavy air prevents Colossi.
    Also the fact that Hydralisks move extremely slow. They won't be in position to stop Phoenix harass unless you keep groups in each mineral line. Once you begin moving them out, Phoenixes can just swing around your army and go into your mineral line again.
    The potency in Protoss air is usually low Phoenix numbers for harass (forcing your opponent's Hydras back and/or forcing him to build static defense) plus the very, very dangerous Void Ray/Colossi mix. Hydras simply disappear against Void Rays and Colossi.
    English is a second language etc etc.

7. - Top - End - #157
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowleaf View Post
    Also the fact that Hydralisks move extremely slow. They won't be in position to stop Phoenix harass unless you keep groups in each mineral line. Once you begin moving them out, Phoenixes can just swing around your army and go into your mineral line again.
    2-3 spore crawlers solves pheonix harass rather well. Hydralisks are for void ray harass.

The potency in Protoss air is usually low Phoenix numbers for harass (forcing your opponent's Hydras back and/or forcing him to build static defense) plus the very, very dangerous Void Ray/Colossi mix. Hydras simply disappear against Void Rays and Colossi.
    Fixed that for you.

Hydras are not for base defense vs pheonix. They are for covering your army when you move out. If he hasn't put out a lot of pheonix, he can't really harass more than your outlying overlords, and if he has, more spore crawlers around anything important are more reasonable than more hydras for base defense.

8. - Top - End - #158
    Titan in the Playground

So, I just had my first decent game against zerg in a long, long time. I tried DarkMemnarch's 14 gas/14 pool strat felaying my expo a bit, but making sure that I could get a 3rd relatively quickly, which I did. My opponent was also rather good sported.

Replay.

Edit: I honesty do not know how I won this. Not as in, "Oh my god I should have died!" But as in, "What the heck was my opponent doing that allowed me to win this this easily?" Anyways, I think I did quite well on a hellion proof wall off at the front. Watch and Enjoy.
    Last edited by Silverraptor; 2012-03-11 at 12:21 PM.

9. - Top - End - #159
    Titan in the Playground

Okay, I don't get zvz at all. I'm losing consecutively to silver league zerg opponents. I don't get it. I'm macroing well, expanding when they do, I build up some units, and then they attack me with X4 more stuff that I can't stop. Help please.

10. - Top - End - #160
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Silverraptor View Post
    Okay, I don't get zvz at all. I'm losing consecutively to silver league zerg opponents. I don't get it. I'm macroing well, expanding when they do, I build up some units, and then they attack me with X4 more stuff that I can't stop. Help please.
    post the replay and we can tell you exactly what went wrong. Otherwise it is just speculation on our part.

11. - Top - End - #161
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DarkMemnarch View Post
    post the replay and we can tell you exactly what went wrong. Otherwise it is just speculation on our part.
    I just decided I will try protoss again and play zerg when I have you looking over my shoulder at camp. Speaking of protoss, blink stalkers are really good.

12. - Top - End - #162
    Titan in the Playground

Guys, I have a must watch game for everyone here. I expect you all to watch it. Here's the Replay.

On another note, how do I submit replays to the "When Cheese fails" channel?
    Last edited by Silverraptor; 2012-03-12 at 12:21 PM.

13. - Top - End - #163

lol... I was not expecting that. At the end, I was wondering how he would recover from that. And then it just said 'sTsSTRiKeR has left the game' and I started laughing.

14. - Top - End - #164
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Othesemo View Post
    lol... I was not expecting that. At the end, I was wondering how he would recover from that. And then it just said 'sTsSTRiKeR has left the game' and I started laughing.
    My thought process during the whole thing.

"Huh? A Pylon? A second pylon? Oh, he's trying to wall off cannons. Better try to get through the 3rd pylon and kill the probe. Oh look, he didn't wall off, better kill the probe then. Probe dead, these pylons aren't a threat. Better go back to macro since I've won. Oh look, a second probes.

SEND THE BATTLESHIPS! SEND... EVERYTHING! WE MUST KEEP THAT PROBE FROM GETTING TO THE TARGET!"

sRsSTRiKeR has left the game

"LoLz"

15. - Top - End - #165

So that was kinda frustrating. PvT. I'm playing a decent game, but he seems to be playing super passive. Super super passive. I start getting paranoid, and think "Wait...he could be going banshee or something. And I have no detection. And I need detection up now if he was doing that." My forge finishes just as his banshee hits. My cannon placement is insufficient. my resources get slowed down that the push he had I would have no way to defend.

I really need to get that detection timing down better.

edit: upside, got a zerg to rage because he went hatch-first and didn't scout the pylon behind his expo. or the two cannons. Nor did he ever deal with the pylons, so i had a great staging ground for my two base six-gate pushes. The best upside? He gave me some good idra-classic lines.
    Last edited by Thiyr; 2012-03-12 at 06:21 PM.
    The Complete Warrior rules on losing prerequisites for a PrC apply to all books. This bothers me enough to sig it. If you disagree, please PM me, I'm down with being proven wrong.

Steam: Thiyr (The Great and Powerful Bulbasaur).
    SC2: RianL.377. Hit me up for some SC2 if you're on.

Bulbabulbabulbabulba...SAUR.

16. - Top - End - #166
    Ogre in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Try scouting the gas..or build a assimilator on one of his geysers. If terran takes 2 gas really early he is going for some sort of banshee / ghost heavy play.

17. - Top - End - #167

Quote Originally Posted by Tehnar View Post
    Try scouting the gas..or build a assimilator on one of his geysers. If terran takes 2 gas really early he is going for some sort of banshee / ghost heavy play.
    The traditional terran wall makes gas-scouting iffy at best on the maps without guaranteed spawns. That said, it's more just that i need to remember to not neglect getting a robo even if I'm going heavy gateway.
    The Complete Warrior rules on losing prerequisites for a PrC apply to all books. This bothers me enough to sig it. If you disagree, please PM me, I'm down with being proven wrong.

18. - Top - End - #168
    Ogre in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Well if you use your 9 or 10 probe you can usually get into the terran base without encountering the wall. If you encounter a wall off then something is fishy... and practically the only fishy thing terran can do is banshee or thor push, and you can prepare for both with a robo.

19. - Top - End - #169

Quote Originally Posted by Tehnar View Post
    Well if you use your 9 or 10 probe you can usually get into the terran base without encountering the wall. If you encounter a wall off then something is fishy... and practically the only fishy thing terran can do is banshee or thor push, and you can prepare for both with a robo.
    Generally I scout on 9, but if it's a map like, say, Tal Darim Altar? If I don't hit their base with the first try, I'll hit a wall. If it's smaller, or there's fewer spawns, I can normally sneak in. That said, banshee doesn't come up terribly often. I just noticed that I need to make sure I -can- get detection if I need it, which I've been terrible about.

20. - Top - End - #170
    Firbolg in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

I always make something for detection. Even when I'm going gate-heavy I'll make one or two obs. As someone who uses stealth pretty heavilly, when I encounter an opponent who does not have sufficient detection, I win right there, no matter how good his macro is.
    That's actually part of why I have such a hard time against terran, they have those scans for when there's no raven/missile turret around.

21. - Top - End - #171
    Ogre in the Playground

Lizardfolk

You can also get a lot of info by just scouting the front after your initial scout. If there are no addons on the rax then something fishy is going on.

22. - Top - End - #172
    Titan in the Playground

Holy crap, I never realized how fun DTs are when you incorporate them into a legitimate build instead of cheesing.

Can you guys critique me on timings and what not to make this build better? I want to do some DT harass, leave when he starts getting detection, merge them into Archons and then go for a big push while expanding behind it.

Edit: Attempt number 2. Please critique.
    Last edited by Silverraptor; 2012-03-15 at 03:40 PM.

23. - Top - End - #173
    Dwarf in the Playground

Holy crap, I never realized how fun DTs are when you incorporate them into a legitimate build instead of cheesing.

Can you guys critique me on timings and what not to make this build better? I want to do some DT harass, leave when he starts getting detection, merge them into Archons and then go for a big push while expanding behind it.

Edit: Attempt number 2. Please critique.
    never use a pylon for part of your wall if you are going FFE

Also in that build you put down a forge then the nexus before gateway and cannon. also when going dts get a warp prism to warp in zealots with. Generally people wont notice the dts until its too late.

Scouting, send your first zealot to see what your opponent is doing. If you sense roach all in, make 3 more cannons to defend.

24. - Top - End - #174
    Titan in the Playground

25. - Top - End - #175
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Well, I have no net for like 2 weeks while I wait for ATT to hook it up. I moved the last couple of days. I'll be on the forums still, but no Sat sessions :'(
    Quote Originally Posted by Alabenson
    Evil Intelligence is knowing the precise ritual that will allow you to destroy the peaceful kingdom that banished you.

Evil Wisdom is understanding that you probably shouldn’t perform said ritual while you’re standing in the estimated blast radius.

26. - Top - End - #176
    Titan in the Playground

27. - Top - End - #177
    Dwarf in the Playground

Why is there no one at the Saturday session?

28. - Top - End - #178
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DarkMemnarch View Post
    Why is there no one at the Saturday session?
    Well, I just got back from a wedding and I'm tired.

Don't know about anyone else though...
    Last edited by Silverraptor; 2012-03-17 at 05:24 PM.

29. - Top - End - #179
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

I have no net :(

Also no reminder was posted, that doesn't help.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alabenson
    Evil Intelligence is knowing the precise ritual that will allow you to destroy the peaceful kingdom that banished you.

Evil Wisdom is understanding that you probably shouldn’t perform said ritual while you’re standing in the estimated blast radius.

30. - Top - End - #180
    Ettin in the Playground

Well, I just got flew back from a wedding and I'm tired boy are my arms tired.
    Fixed that for you.