GreataxeFighterGuy

Default Re: Starcraft 2: 8 Medivac drop

Quote Originally Posted by DarkMemnarch View Post
    So, is anyone here watching the IPL 4?
    I am. Nestea tearing everyone up

3. - Top - End - #243
    Titan in the Playground

So, I did a FFA, and I really like this game I did right here. All of us were random, if you can believe it.

I went stalker HT because since they were all terran, I knew they would have marines for voidrays.
    My own webcomic. Idiosyncrasy.
    Paladin Academy: Chapter 2 Part 28

4. - Top - End - #244
    Dwarf in the Playground

It is funny how bad some people are in diamond league. This was probably the worst attempt at a "2 gate" I have ever seen. I was going to bm him but he left before i could

Here is the replay, watch and be astounded.

5. - Top - End - #245
    Bugbear in the Playground

It is funny how bad some people are in diamond league. This was probably the worst attempt at a "2 gate" I have ever seen. I was going to bm him but he left before i could

Here is the replay, watch and be astounded.
    Just had a similar experience in 2v2s recently. a decent 2gate+marine+scv all in. Stopped cold by a bunker and 2 zealots. So satisfying.
    The Complete Warrior rules on losing prerequisites for a PrC apply to all books. This bothers me enough to sig it. If you disagree, please PM me, I'm down with being proven wrong.

Steam: Thiyr (The Great and Powerful Bulbasaur).
    SC2: RianL.377. Hit me up for some SC2 if you're on.

Bulbabulbabulbabulba...SAUR.

6. - Top - End - #246
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thiyr View Post
    Just had a similar experience in 2v2s recently. a decent 2gate+marine+scv all in. Stopped cold by a bunker and 2 zealots. So satisfying.
    Fending of cheese is probably one of the most satisfying feelings in starcraft.

7. - Top - End - #247
    Ettin in the Playground

Which is appropriate, because losing to cheese is one of the worst feelings in the world.

Such as losing to a bunker rush followed by two hellion drops and a thor drop.

8. - Top - End - #248
    Ettin in the Playground

Ever have one of those games where things don't go quite the way you expect them to? Two words: Clutch Ultralisks

9. - Top - End - #249

I just played a game in ZvZ where my opponent massed lings and hydras. 22 banelings later, he ragequit.
    -- The Dragon
    Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #250

Tired NesTea makes me sad. He was in such a good position in all games versus Alive, but his tiredness just makes him throw the games.

IPL has really been disappointing for me.
    English is a second language etc etc.

11. - Top - End - #251
    Firbolg in the Playground

So I finally reinstalled the game. And started doing some 1v1 VS computer just to see how terribad I am. I'm sticking with Terran for now until I get my funadmentals under better control.

My first hurdle seems to be in the early game. The first thing I had to adjust was building more Barracks and just sticking with a 3-Rax opener. 2-Rax gave me room to tech but I was just sitting on gobs and gobs of resources that I honestly could not spend fast enough. I got it to the point where I could get into good rhythem keeping up my production of marines, marauders, and SCV's. The opening is 3 SCV's, Supply Depot, 3 SCV's Barracks 1, 2 SCV's, Barracks 2, SCV, Supply Depot, Barracks 3, with my 1 Refinery in there somewhere. My first reactor comes about the same time Barracks 3 finishes (I usually have 5-6 marines out by then), Tech Lab comes after that, 3rd Rax gets a Reactor as well.

I think I'm transitioning into factory just a wee bit late, and I'm not pushing for Medivacs right away, which I know that against a live player will up and get me killed.

Also, I'm absolutely lost as to when I should start work on my natural. I've got out of my old habits of Turtling (seriously, Bunkers? What are those again?) so defending my base without static defenses just feels better overall. Should I go and get another base the moment I have 400 minerals 'to blow' once I have my 3-Rax up and stable?

I hate to sound like a nubcake, but 3-Rax is treating me pretty good and I sort of want to focus on learning to use my MMM correctly before I work on pushing a more tech aggressive build just yet. I even learned how to stutter-step the other day. But I still want my macro to be in the right place, naturally, and I know I need to expand earlier.

Any thoughts?
    ~~Courage is not the lack of fear~~
    Quote Originally Posted by gooddragon1 View Post
    If the party wizard can't survive a supersonic dragon made of iron at epic levels it's his own fault really.
    "In soviet dungeon, aboleth farms you!"
    "Please consult your DM before administering Steve brand Aboleth Mucus.
    Ask your DM if Aboleth Mucus is right for you.
    Side effects include coughing, sneezing, and other flu like symptoms, cancer, breathing water like a fish, loss of dignity, loss of balance, loss of bowel and bladder control."

12. - Top - End - #252
    Orc in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Karoht View Post

Any thoughts?
    Well the main question is what are you doing with your marines early? If you're just having them for the sake of it then maybe you could put the minerals to better use by scouting better early.

I'm sure one of the other posters can give you a better idea but tanks give a much much better defence, admittidly only against ground forces, than marines will. I would say its safe to take an expansion once you have tanks up as you can defend against any big pushes that will inevitably have to come through your front gate.

Of course be wary of drops in your mineral line and anything else that will make your tank defence less worth it. The good thing is though, you have an opening you're happy with and one you see working. I would stick to that for now but have a think of what kind of things can stop your opening from being effective against each of the races.

For example, if you see a 6 pool, then change your build to wall off early and pump some more marines.

Additionally you might want to think about maybe using those marines to secure your natural and by that I mean pushing out so you can put pressure on your opponent, which allows you to build your natural because if you see your army destroyed you've got time to build some defences before his army can be at your base.

People on these forums seem to upload lots of replays of games so you could put some here and people will critique or maybe download some of their replays yourself to check out their openings and when they expand.

13. - Top - End - #253
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Talesin View Post
    Well the main question is what are you doing with your marines early? If you're just having them for the sake of it then maybe you could put the minerals to better use by scouting better early.
    I usually use my first 6 Marines to hold off against any kind of initial pressure, or go and put some initial pressure on the other guy.

I'm sure one of the other posters can give you a better idea but tanks give a much much better defence, admittidly only against ground forces, than marines will. I would say its safe to take an expansion once you have tanks up as you can defend against any big pushes that will inevitably have to come through your front gate.
    Tanks is where I do tech to, once I start on Factory tech, and mostly for this reason. It's an old habit of my previous Turtling ways.

Of course be wary of drops in your mineral line and anything else that will make your tank defence less worth it. The good thing is though, you have an opening you're happy with and one you see working. I would stick to that for now but have a think of what kind of things can stop your opening from being effective against each of the races.
    For example, if you see a 6 pool, then change your build to wall off early and pump some more marines.
    I wall off at my mineral line with my Supply Depots, Gas, and Barracks. The Geyser + Depot wall off is surprisingly effective in my experience. I'll get a screenshot next time and show you what I mean. There is literally no way into my mineral line via the ground if I pop up the Depots. If air comes in, I tend to have a minimum of two turrets ready, and my marine production is right there.

Additionally you might want to think about maybe using those marines to secure your natural and by that I mean pushing out so you can put pressure on your opponent, which allows you to build your natural because if you see your army destroyed you've got time to build some defences before his army can be at your base.
    I think this is my problem. I get my army out the door, I secure the natural just fine, but I don't think to get it building for some reason. I think I just need to get in the habit once I have maybe my Marauders out or something.

People on these forums seem to upload lots of replays of games so you could put some here and people will critique or maybe download some of their replays yourself to check out their openings and when they expand.
    Yeah, I need to get in the habit of Replay saving and posting. I'll get one up as soon as I can.
    ~~Courage is not the lack of fear~~
    Quote Originally Posted by gooddragon1 View Post
    If the party wizard can't survive a supersonic dragon made of iron at epic levels it's his own fault really.
    "In soviet dungeon, aboleth farms you!"
    "Please consult your DM before administering Steve brand Aboleth Mucus.
    Ask your DM if Aboleth Mucus is right for you.
    Side effects include coughing, sneezing, and other flu like symptoms, cancer, breathing water like a fish, loss of dignity, loss of balance, loss of bowel and bladder control."

14. - Top - End - #254

Quote Originally Posted by Karoht View Post
    So I finally reinstalled the game. And started doing some 1v1 VS computer just to see how terribad I am. I'm sticking with Terran for now until I get my funadmentals under better control.

My first hurdle seems to be in the early game. The first thing I had to adjust was building more Barracks and just sticking with a 3-Rax opener. 2-Rax gave me room to tech but I was just sitting on gobs and gobs of resources that I honestly could not spend fast enough. I got it to the point where I could get into good rhythem keeping up my production of marines, marauders, and SCV's. The opening is 3 SCV's, Supply Depot, 3 SCV's Barracks 1, 2 SCV's, Barracks 2, SCV, Supply Depot, Barracks 3, with my 1 Refinery in there somewhere. My first reactor comes about the same time Barracks 3 finishes (I usually have 5-6 marines out by then), Tech Lab comes after that, 3rd Rax gets a Reactor as well.

I think I'm transitioning into factory just a wee bit late, and I'm not pushing for Medivacs right away, which I know that against a live player will up and get me killed.

Also, I'm absolutely lost as to when I should start work on my natural. I've got out of my old habits of Turtling (seriously, Bunkers? What are those again?) so defending my base without static defenses just feels better overall. Should I go and get another base the moment I have 400 minerals 'to blow' once I have my 3-Rax up and stable?

I hate to sound like a nubcake, but 3-Rax is treating me pretty good and I sort of want to focus on learning to use my MMM correctly before I work on pushing a more tech aggressive build just yet. I even learned how to stutter-step the other day. But I still want my macro to be in the right place, naturally, and I know I need to expand earlier.

Any thoughts?
    Don't worry about expanding. Don't worry about watching replays. Don't worry about expanding your tech. Find one simple and solid build that works for you, and then do that build over and over and over until you can do it perfectly. Then, pick up another build and work with that.
    This trains your mechanics far better than expanding the stuff you want yourself to be able to do after each game. It's absolutely key to have solid mechanics before making it harder for oneself by adding on adaptation, scouting, deviations etc.

15. - Top - End - #255
    Barbarian in the Playground

So either it's me being reallly bad now or people improved a lot (prolly a mix of both), but I started playing again SC2 after 2 years and in season 7 I'm now platinum :( Talk about a demotion <<
    Cynan

16. - Top - End - #256
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cynan Machae View Post
    So either it's me being reallly bad now or people improved a lot (prolly a mix of both), but I started playing again SC2 after 2 years and in season 7 I'm now platinum :( Talk about a demotion <<
    They also changed the ladder matching making so now you'll be playing against opponents significantly better than you, and significantly worse than you.

I think DarkMemnarch will really like the second option alot.
    Last edited by Silverraptor; 2012-04-10 at 04:12 PM.

17. - Top - End - #257
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Silverraptor View Post
    They also changed the ladder matching making so now you'll be playing against opponents significantly better than you, and significantly worse than you.

I think DarkMemnarch will really like the second option alot.
    I thought this was because of the GM level people having to wait for a long time to find matches.

Silverraptor why would I really like to play people significantly worse than me?

I play enough people who rely on all ins and cheeses enough already.

18. - Top - End - #258
    Titan in the Playground

I thought this was because of the GM level people having to wait for a long time to find matches.

Silverraptor why would I really like to play people significantly worse than me?

I play enough people who rely on all ins and cheeses enough already.
    I don't know. Maybe all those times when you were watching me over my shoulder and constantly saying "Why can't my opponents be this bad?"

19. - Top - End - #259

Well even if they change who you play, this shouldn't affect your MMR.

Anyway this give me Platinum to Masters to relearn the game <<
    Cynan

20. - Top - End - #260

21. - Top - End - #261

I mostly like Ohana, as a protoss player. Opening play seems a lot like Shakuras without the annoyance of two possible spawning positions. Fairly easy to hold expansion, a couple places where protoss can warp into the other player's main in the early game, and good options for picking up a third. It also doesn't seem super hard to hold off drops, which is kind of a big deal for me.

I'm downvoting Korhal and Metal for sure this season, and might downvote Antiga until Blizzard comes to its senses and forces cross spawns on it.

22. - Top - End - #262

Quote Originally Posted by imperialspectre View Post
    I mostly like Ohana, as a protoss player. Opening play seems a lot like Shakuras without the annoyance of two possible spawning positions. Fairly easy to hold expansion, a couple places where protoss can warp into the other player's main in the early game, and good options for picking up a third. It also doesn't seem super hard to hold off drops, which is kind of a big deal for me.

I'm downvoting Korhal and Metal for sure this season, and might downvote Antiga until Blizzard comes to its senses and forces cross spawns on it.
    I love it for ZvT, the third is so easily abuseable. I just wish Blizzard would put in neutral supply depots already.

Edit: It's also super easy to counterattack.
    Last edited by Shadowleaf; 2012-04-11 at 02:38 PM.

23. - Top - End - #263
    Ogre in the Playground

So I am planning on starting playing again. I am planning on playing protoss. So are there any plat+ protoss/terrans up to playing with me at somepoint? I would ask about zerg but I know i'm covered there with 90% of the players here playing zerg.

24. - Top - End - #264
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Legoshrimp View Post
    So I am planning on starting playing again. I am planning on playing protoss. So are there any plat+ protoss/terrans up to playing with me at somepoint? I would ask about zerg but I know i'm covered there with 90% of the players here playing zerg.
    How many zerg players left/swtiched to make these fourms only 90% zerg?

25. - Top - End - #265

You better play with me! ho my ZvP is probably still my only good matchup lol
    Cynan

26. - Top - End - #266
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cynan Machae View Post
    You better play with me! ho my ZvP is probably still my only good matchup lol
    Lol yeah, will definitely play with you might help make my pvz not my worst match up. Although pvz was what made me think of switching to z last time I was playing. The match up just seems so hard for me, I am terrible at being aggressive. Which is what Protoss needs to do, or else you just lose.

27. - Top - End - #267
    Titan in the Playground

How many zerg players left/swtiched to make these fourms only 90% zerg?
    This is not a zerg only group here. No matter how much you wish it to be.

28. - Top - End - #268

In preparation to switch to Random in 1v1, I'd love to practice with you. I was mid masters Terran a few months ago. My Protoss isn't stellar, but I really want to work on it (it's probably Plat ish).

29. - Top - End - #269
    Orc in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowleaf View Post
    In preparation to switch to Random in 1v1, I'd love to practice with you. I was mid masters Terran a few months ago. My Protoss isn't stellar, but I really want to work on it (it's probably Plat ish).
    Woo go go random!

Was plat random in 1s back in S1 and S2, its a fun thing to play but sometimes you end up on a losing streak because you get your weakest race against a favoured player and just mess it up.

Anyone got any tips for macroing as Terran? They are easily my worst race because I just find I can't keep up with producing units. Do people have their factories/barracks/starports bound to keys and then just flick to them and hit the whatever hotkey to produce units or is there an easier way i'm missing out on?

Zerg i've got my lair etc bound to keys so I can just make the quick switch back, pump whatever unit I need without taking my eye of my army. Protoss I find pretty easy as I usually know what I want to warp in and just having the robo bound means i've only got 1 thing to think about.

30. - Top - End - #270

Quote Originally Posted by Talesin View Post
    Woo go go random!

Was plat random in 1s back in S1 and S2, its a fun thing to play but sometimes you end up on a losing streak because you get your weakest race against a favoured player and just mess it up.

Anyone got any tips for macroing as Terran? They are easily my worst race because I just find I can't keep up with producing units. Do people have their factories/barracks/starports bound to keys and then just flick to them and hit the whatever hotkey to produce units or is there an easier way i'm missing out on?

Zerg i've got my lair etc bound to keys so I can just make the quick switch back, pump whatever unit I need without taking my eye of my army. Protoss I find pretty easy as I usually know what I want to warp in and just having the robo bound means i've only got 1 thing to think about.
    I usually have my rax on one key, factory on another, and starport on a third. Alternatively, you can have all three on one hotkey and use tab to change between them.

A good tip is having the 'support' buildings (techlab, engineering bay, armory) in the same controlgroup, so when you hit your Barracks hotkey, you can see whether or not your engineering bay upgrades are done.