New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Musings on Language #2

Quote Originally Posted by Goosefeather View Post
    The equivalent to 'sating/satiating/slaking one's hunger' is to 'quench one's thirst'. I don't think I've ever heard it used adjectivally (i.e. 'my quenched thirst'). I'm pretty sure there's no parallel to 'full' though, beyond 'no longer thirsty'.
    Slaking is for thirst though, isn't it? To slake one's thirst. My slaked thirst. I have never heard of slaking one's hunger.

2. - Top - End - #122
    Barbarian in the Playground

RogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by dehro View Post
    sure there is: drunk
    Nope - when you're full, you don't want to eat any more, but personally even when I'm drunk that rarely stops me from wanting to drink more

Reminds me of this extract from HHGTTG

Arthur Dent: What are you doing?
    Ford Prefect: Preparing for hyperspace. It's rather unpleasantly like being drunk.
    Arthur Dent: What's so wrong about being drunk?
    Ford Prefect: Ask a glass of water.

EDIT:
    Quote Originally Posted by Kneenibble View Post
    Slaking is for thirst though, isn't it? To slake one's thirst. My slaked thirst. I have never heard of slaking one's hunger.
    Oops, yeah, my bad!

Also, 'allay' one's hunger.
    Last edited by Goosefeather; 2012-02-21 at 07:32 PM.

3. - Top - End - #123
    Troll in the Playground

I've heard some language comitee has made up the word "sitt" (no longer thirsty) to go with "satt" (no longer hungry). But just like "Elter", meaning "one parent", no one uses it, exept in mockery. Explanation: so far, German only had the word Eltern, meaning parents, and if you wanted to talk about a single parent, you'd have to use father or mother.
    Si non confectus, non reficiat.

The beautiful girl is courtesy of Serpentine
    My S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Call of Pripjat Let's Play! Please give it a read, more than one constant reader would be nice!

4. - Top - End - #124
    Colossus in the Playground

"Elternteil" is commonly used for one parent, at least in Switzerland. Which translates to, more or less "Part of the Parents".
    Resident Vancian Apologist

5. - Top - End - #125
    Troll in the Playground

Yep, we use that too, but now, we could also use "Elter" should we really really want to.

My S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Call of Pripjat Let's Play! Please give it a read, more than one constant reader would be nice!

6. - Top - End - #126
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by noparlpf View Post
    One pet peeve is the misuse of "me" and "I", as in, "He is better at math than me", when it should be, "...than I (am)".
    Actually, I never understood how this works. (Non-native speaker here, so don't shoot.) By the same token, shouldn't you say "I am better at math than he"? And doesn't that sound awful? Doesn't "I am better at math than him" sound better?

I believe that it's quite acceptable to use the accusative/dative case ("him" instead of "he", "me" instead of "I" and so on) after a preposition. In this case, the pronoun ("him") is the object of the preposition ("than"). For comparison, it is definitely correct to say "for him" and "after them" and "before her", right? Is there any reason why the preposition "than" shouldn't be used in the same way?

Now, saying "I am better than math than he" is no less grammatically correct - though I still believe it sounds awful. It just assumes a different syntax. In this case, the object of the preposition "than" is an entire relative clause ("he is (good at math)"), most of which is omitted. So the pronoun is rightly in the nominative case, because it's now the subject of the omitted verb ("is").

Or at least, that's how I understand it. Am I wrong? And if so, why? I'd love to learn.

EDIT - Here's wikipedia's take. I still don't understand why "than him" is wrong. Or if it IS wrong, for that matter.
    Last edited by HeadlessMermaid; 2012-02-22 at 05:37 PM.
    "We need the excuse of fiction to stage what we truly are." ~ Slavoj Žižek, The Pervert’s Guide to Cinema
    "El bien más preciado es la libertad" ~ Valeriano Orobón Fernández, A las barricadas
    "If civilization has an opposite, it is war." ~ Ursula K. Le Guin, The Left Hand of Darkness

Roguish | We Were Rogue | [3.5] Greek Mythology Variant | [3.5] The Fey Compendium

7. - Top - End - #127
    Titan in the Playground

What do you thin about the claim "Germans can't say squirrel"?

It's a bit easier than Massachusetts, but really, how do you pronounce it? I think the closest I can get is "skwirel"
    We are not standing on the shoulders of giants, but on very tall tower of other dwarves.

Spriggan's Den Heroic Fantasy Roleplaying

8. - Top - End - #128
    Firbolg in the Playground

Squirrel?

"Skwuhrl"
    Steampunk GwynSkull by DR. BATH

"Live to the point of tears"
    - Albert Camus

Quote Originally Posted by Wyntonian View Post
    What. Is. This. Madness.

9. - Top - End - #129

The best solution for us German speakers, I've found, is to say Skwöll and mumble a bit.

10. - Top - End - #130
    Troll in the Playground

What's wrong with Massachusets?
    Mass-ah-chew-sets, nein?

11. - Top - End - #131
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Yora View Post
    What do you thin about the claim "Germans can't say squirrel"?

It's a bit easier than Massachusetts, but really, how do you pronounce it? I think the closest I can get is "skwirel"
    SK+whirl......

Formerly known as "Herpestidae."
    Most of my posts are done by mobile. Expect typos.
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozen_Feet View Post
    Things don't magically stop being fun when you reach a certain age.

12. - Top - End - #132
    Bugbear in the Playground

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by HeadlessMermaid View Post
    I still don't understand why "than him" is wrong. Or if it IS wrong, for that matter.
    What are you comparing with "than"? That will tell you the answer.

"I'm better at math than him." Here, you compare your skill at math and him. "I'm better at math than I am better than him." That's not what you want to say, is it?

If you're comparing your math skill and his math skill, then you should say it like this: "I'm better at math than he is."

13. - Top - End - #133

A thing that just occurred to me, and that is a bit strange: why is the pronoun I capitalized in English, but no other pronoun is?

14. - Top - End - #134

Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    A thing that just occurred to me, and that is a bit strange: why is the pronoun I capitalized in English, but no other pronoun is?
    Because I am more important than you, obviously. (Though then the question would be why "me" isn't capitalized. Another question would be, why do I keep switching back and forth between British and American spellings? Last thread I posted in I was spelling things "-ise".)
    Jude P.

15. - Top - End - #135

I have a weird mixture of spellings anyway. I got used to -ize, and the word "tyre" just looks weird, but -our just makes so much more sense for most words!

16. - Top - End - #136
    Ettin in the Playground

One of the best searchable sites for English etymology, etymonline.com, has this for the origins and reason for capitalization of the word I:

12c. shortening of O.E. ic, first person singular nominative pronoun, from P.Gmc. *ekan (cf. O.Fris. ik, O.N. ek, Norw. eg, Dan. jeg, O.H.G. ih, Ger. ich, Goth. ik), from PIE *eg-, nominative form of the first person singular pronoun (cf. Skt. aham, Hitt. uk, L. ego (source of Fr. Je), Gk. ego, Rus. ja, Lith. aš). Reduced to i by mid-12c. in northern England, it began to be capitalized mid-13c. to mark it as a distinct word and avoid misreading in handwritten manuscripts.

The reason for writing I is ... the orthographic habit in the middle ages of using a 'long i' (that is, j or I) whenever the letter was isolated or formed the last letter of a group; the numeral 'one' was written j or I (and three iij, etc.), just as much as the pronoun. [Otto Jespersen, "Growth and Structure of the English Language," p.233]
    The form ich or ik, especially before vowels, lingered in northern England until c.1400 and survived in southern dialects until 18c. The dot on the "small" letter -i- began to appear in 11c. Latin manuscripts, to distinguish the letter from the stroke of another letter (such as -m- or -n-). Originally a diacritic, it was reduced to a dot with the introduction of Roman type fonts.
    Linguist and Invoker of Orcus of the Rudisplorker's Guild
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Fantasy literature is ONLY worthwhile for what it can tell us about the real world; everything else is petty escapism.
    No author should have to take the time to say, "This little girl ISN'T evil, folks!" in order for the reader to understand that. It should be assumed that no first graders are irredeemably Evil unless the text tells you they are.

17. - Top - End - #137
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll View Post
    Squirrel?

"Skwuhrl"
    Quote Originally Posted by Herpestidae View Post
    SK+whirl......
    Only if you're speaking American or Canadian, of course. If you're speaking British (and possibly Australian? I've never heard an Australian say squirrel before... ) then Yora is right in splitting it into two syllables: Skwi-rell. (Sounds like Quirrel, of Harry Potter fame, only with an 'S' in the front. )
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Magtok
    She’s graduated from child soldier to unstable teen sorceress, way to go.

18. - Top - End - #138

I have a weird mixture of spellings anyway. I got used to -ize, and the word "tyre" just looks weird, but -our just makes so much more sense for most words!
    Speaking of weird mixtures of spelling--has "dialog" vs "dialogue" come up in this thread? The weirdest bit is that "monologue" retains the "ue" in American English.

Quote Originally Posted by SaintRidley View Post
    One of the best searchable sites for English etymology, etymonline.com, has this for the origins and reason for capitalization of the word I:
    j love that site!
    Jude P.

19. - Top - End - #139
    Troll in the Playground

In Germany, there's the age-old debate whether it's Spontaneität, or Spontanität (spontanity).
    Also, whether it's Kemie and Kina or Chemie and China,

20. - Top - End - #140
    Titan in the Playground

That's no debate, that's a speech impediment Spontaneität does not exist and Kina and Kemie are just wrong.
    We are not standing on the shoulders of giants, but on very tall tower of other dwarves.

21. - Top - End - #141

There was a suggestion in Switzerland to spell it Schemie and Schina, though. That's only for a handful of dialects, though, and the official language is very much on the China and Chemie side of the discussion.

22. - Top - End - #142
    Troll in the Playground

That's no debate, that's a speech impediment Spontaneität does not exist and Kina and Kemie are just wrong.
    NO YOU! I admit I mostly say Chemie, but hey.

23. - Top - End - #143
    Titan in the Playground

24. - Top - End - #144
    Titan in the Playground

Heh. There've been several of those lists. I remember "schadenfreude", for example, appearing on an older one.

As if English didn't have enough words as is.
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Claudius Maximus View Post
    Also fixed the money issue by sacrificing a goat.
    Quote Originally Posted by subject42 View Post
    This board needs a "you're technically right but I still want to crawl into the fetal position and cry" emoticon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yukitsu View Post
    I define [optimization] as "the process by which one attains a build meeting all mechanical and characterization goals set out by the creator prior to its creation."
    Praise for avatar may be directed to Derjuin.

25. - Top - End - #145

You already nabbed Schadenfreude.

That said, aren't there already words for quite a few of those in English?

26. - Top - End - #146
    Titan in the Playground

If by "you", you mean them*, then yes, that's what I meant.

*Native English-speakers.

[Edit]: Also, the #1 on the linked list can be applied to all manner of pedants and other people too in love with insignificant details.
    Last edited by Greenish; 2012-02-29 at 09:18 PM.
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Claudius Maximus View Post
    Also fixed the money issue by sacrificing a goat.
    Quote Originally Posted by subject42 View Post
    This board needs a "you're technically right but I still want to crawl into the fetal position and cry" emoticon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yukitsu View Post
    I define [optimization] as "the process by which one attains a build meeting all mechanical and characterization goals set out by the creator prior to its creation."
    Praise for avatar may be directed to Derjuin.

27. - Top - End - #147
    Titan in the Playground

Another thread on here has reminded me about something - phrases that simply do not have an easy translation into another language.

The one what was used was the Japanese phrase "yoroshiku onegaishimasu", which has a context dependent meaning - it can mean anything from 'nice to meet you', 'please be kind to me' or 'thank you for being kind to my child/friend/acquaintance' among others.

I was trying to think of some English phrases that also defy easy translation - 'pull the other one, it's got bells on' for example - and I was wondering do other people here know of similar untranslatable phrases (Friss die Hälfte was mentioned earlier).

28. - Top - End - #148
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by HeadlessMermaid View Post
    Actually, I never understood how this works. (Non-native speaker here, so don't shoot.) By the same token, shouldn't you say "I am better at math than he"? And doesn't that sound awful? Doesn't "I am better at math than him" sound better?

I believe that it's quite acceptable to use the accusative/dative case ("him" instead of "he", "me" instead of "I" and so on) after a preposition. In this case, the pronoun ("him") is the object of the preposition ("than"). For comparison, it is definitely correct to say "for him" and "after them" and "before her", right? Is there any reason why the preposition "than" shouldn't be used in the same way?

Now, saying "I am better than math than he" is no less grammatically correct - though I still believe it sounds awful. It just assumes a different syntax. In this case, the object of the preposition "than" is an entire relative clause ("he is (good at math)"), most of which is omitted. So the pronoun is rightly in the nominative case, because it's now the subject of the omitted verb ("is").

Or at least, that's how I understand it. Am I wrong? And if so, why? I'd love to learn.

EDIT - Here's wikipedia's take. I still don't understand why "than him" is wrong. Or if it IS wrong, for that matter.
    The easiest way to think about these kind of sentence is to add in the missing verb at the end that nobody says. Compare "I am better at math than he is" and "I am better at math than him is." Saying "him is" should sound clearly wrong to you, and it's the fact that the verb is assumed in those sentences that calls for the nominative case.

Note, however, that the expression "it's me" has come into common usage and announcing yourself using "it is I" will make you sound like you've been rehearsing your Shakespeare.

That said, aren't there already words for quite a few of those in English?
    I like Zeitgeist. It's super useful when you're trying to convince people to go see movies or TV shows that are good. For example, "you should go watch My Little Pony so you can understand the giantitp Zeitgeist."

Quote Originally Posted by Brother Oni View Post
    Another thread on here has reminded me about something - phrases that simply do not have an easy translation into another language.

The one what was used was the Japanese phrase "yoroshiku onegaishimasu", which has a context dependent meaning - it can mean anything from 'nice to meet you', 'please be kind to me' or 'thank you for being kind to my child/friend/acquaintance' among others.

I was trying to think of some English phrases that also defy easy translation - 'pull the other one, it's got bells on' for example - and I was wondering do other people here know of similar untranslatable phrases (Friss die Hälfte was mentioned earlier).
    The hardest English expressions to translate are those that draw on words that have a specific meaning in expressions. For example "I'm a ham" meaning I enjoy performing and being the center of attention. Also, pretty much any American southern expression kills translation. For example, "He's got a 10 gallon hat for a 5 gallon head."

And, if I may add a personal pet peeve. Stop killing the subjunctive tense, all of you! If the sentence refers to a case other than reality, it takes "were" rather than "was." If you have said, "If I was there" you're doing it wrong and it should be "if I were there."
    Last edited by Anarion; 2012-03-01 at 02:05 PM.
    School Fox by Atlur

Anarion's right on the money here.
    Quotes

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.”
    Oscar Wilde Writer & Poet (1891)

29. - Top - End - #149
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    And, if I may add a personal pet peeve. Stop killing the subjunctive tense, all of you! If the sentence refers to a case other than reality, it takes "were" rather than "was." If you have said, "If I was there" you're doing it wrong and it should be "if I were there."
    Minor correction. The subjunctive is a mood. If it were a tense it would refer in some way to a point in time.
    Linguist and Invoker of Orcus of the Rudisplorker's Guild
    Fantasy literature is ONLY worthwhile for what it can tell us about the real world; everything else is petty escapism.
    No author should have to take the time to say, "This little girl ISN'T evil, folks!" in order for the reader to understand that. It should be assumed that no first graders are irredeemably Evil unless the text tells you they are.

30. - Top - End - #150

Quote Originally Posted by SaintRidley View Post
    Minor correction. The subjunctive is a mood. If it were a tense it would refer in some way to a point in time.
    Darn you! You stole my nitpick! :b
    Failure to use the subjunctive mood properly is my biggest pet peeve besides "its/it's" being misused.

Edit: And if I were you I would have written "If it was a tense..." just for the irony.
    Last edited by noparlpf; 2012-03-01 at 04:13 PM.
    Jude P.